• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Jeez, this thread is moving so fast. I can barely keep up.

I know I don't post often and I'm late on this, but Happy 2000 and congrats on passing the Sm4sh Ridley thread as the biggest on the entire site!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Ooh, actually, there’s a big question: Did that trailer leak before or after Geoff’s big “no leaks” statement?

It could have easily been prepared for the State of Play presentation tomorrow, as well, Square previously used that for a big FFVIIR infodump.
it leaked after Geoff's statement

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Aww, just when I was going to make a 2001: A Space Odyssey joke on page 2001.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Since everyone is saying their's, I suppose I'll reveal that this is my year! (2002)

As I've said, I'm one of the youngest in the thread probably!

(Hopefully it makes you old Geno fans hearts happy that you have a jaded millennial in here supporting Geno.)

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Since everyone is saying their's, I suppose I'll reveal that this is my year! (2002)

As I've said, I'm one of the youngest in the thread probably!

(Hopefully it makes you old Geno fans hearts happy that you have a jaded millennial in here supporting Geno.)
Hey, I'm also born in 2002!
Which means we have to fight to death as there can be only one

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Okay guys, I’m here to finally come clean.

My age on SmashBoards isn’t a lie. I’m a, (cue ominous music) ZOOMER.

That’s right, this is my year baby! Forever tarnished by dumb internet challenges and Fortnite dances! WOOOO!

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, Geno discussion time.

Geno has a CGI trailer, it heavily features two other base game characters in a major role within the video. They are not be Mario-series characters, and they can, but preferably are not, from the same series as each other either.

Who does Geno's video feature, and what's the plotline that leads up to his reveal?
i would say Rosalina and cloud, as Rosalina hasn't been seen in any cgi character reveal trailer as of yet , plus cloud is from the same company, also he was in kingdom hearts, which had a reference to geno in one of the heartless puppet characters

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Jezus, this thread is traveling at the speed of light. We've already passed my birth year.

osby

Smash Obsessed
KOS-MOS just kind of... breaks the overall tone of the Fighters Pass

Joker: Total Sakurai bias, but a beloved game that's a modern masterpiece of a JRPG
Hero: Legacy character with an enormous following in Japan, another master of JRPGs
Banjo-Kazooie: A fan request people thought to be impossible, another character with legacy that perfected the foundation Mario 64 started with
Terry: Sakurai bias strikes again, while something of an unknown to Smash fans, a legacy character nonetheless that helped define the fighting game genre

KOS-MOS... Maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with the Xeno series, but KOS-MOS just kinda 'exists'. She's a lot like Morrigan, her own series is done so she just cameos in other games now. Morrigan though his remembered very fondly; people only seem to remember KOS-MOS when she's cameoing in something

Plus it seems to kind of break Reggie and Sakurai's statement that all of the characters would be from 'new worlds' when we already have a Xeno rep in Shulk; but that's just me being pedantic.
Does Fighter Pass even has an overall tone?

You have Banjo-Kazooie as the only hardcore Smash community picks, super recent Joker among a bunch of old characters and gigantic Dragon Quest being grouped with three relatively niche franchises. You have two new and two veteran companies. Their demographics are all over the place.

"Sakurai bias" and "beloved" aren't defined categories and can retroactively include a lot of characters. If KOS-MOS gets in, you can be sure that people won't stop talking about how much sense she made because of Sakurai's Xenoblade love and Xenosaga's cult classic status.

I'm not saying she's a lock or even likely, but not being like other pass fighters isn't a point against her when they're not similar in the first place.

(Also Banjo already breaks the 'new worlds' statement since he debuted in the Donkey Kong franchise but that's just me being pedantic)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does Fighter Pass even has an overall tone?

You have Banjo-Kazooie as the only hardcore Smash community picks, super recent Joker among a bunch of old characters and gigantic Dragon Quest being grouped with three relatively niche franchises. You have two new and two veteran companies. Their demographics are all over the place.

"Sakurai bias" and "beloved" aren't defined categories and can retroactively include a lot of characters. If KOS-MOS gets in, you can be sure that people won't stop talking about how much sense she made because of Sakurai's Xenoblade love and Xenosaga's cult classic status.

I'm not saying she's a lock or even likely, but not being like other pass fighters isn't a point against her when they're not similar in the first place.

(Also Banjo already breaks the 'new worlds' statement since he debuted in the Donkey Kong franchise but that's just me being pedantic)
It kind of has a theme. Like I've talked about in here a number of times, all the series seem to be important to Sakurai in someway and have a history with crossovers.

Persona 5 notably inspired Sakurai in recent years, DQ has inspired Sakurai pretty much his entire career and is obviously a cultural giant in Japan, Banjo was probably the hardest Sakurai had to reach to get a fan pick ever, and SNK got Sakurai into fighting games to begin with. As for the crossover elements, Joker has Sonic and Catherine, DQ has Final Fantasy and Mario, Banjo has DK and Minecraft, and Terry has pretty much every major SNK and Capcom fighting IP at some point.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

osby

Smash Obsessed
It kind of has a theme. Like I've talked about in here a number of times, all the series seem to be important to Sakurai in some way and have a history with crossovers.

Persona 5 notably inspired Sakurai in recent years, DQ has inspired Sakurai pretty much his entire career and is obviously a cultural giant in Japan, Banjo was probably the hardest Sakurai had to reach to get a fan pick ever, and SNK got Sakurai into fighting games, to begin with. As for the crossover elements, Joker has Sonic and Catherine, DQ has Final Fantasy and Mario, Banjo has DK and Minecraft, and Terry has pretty much every major SNK and Capcom fighting IP at some point.
"Important to Sakurai" part is debatable when being inspired by a game and working hard to get a character are two different things. We don't even know if Banjo was harder to get than other Western content, Cloud or Snake. I can see Sakurai's personal decisions affecting the choices but I'm reluctant to call it a theme.

I'll give you the crossover element but I don't think it was intentional and it can be applied to a huge number of characters (pretty much all third party fighters appeared in multiple crossovers). Funny enough, that would be in favor of KOS-MOS, given how many other games she appeared in.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Plus, er, that KH stuff... already happened a few days ago, including the trailer. Why would it be a TGA reveal?
I can easily assume that the trailer was supposed to be released during TGA but got accidentally leaked by a Square employee. F to that guy.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Okay guys, I’m here to finally come clean.

My age on SmashBoards isn’t a lie. I’m a, (cue ominous music) ZOOMER.

That’s right, this is my year baby! Forever tarnished by dumb internet challenges and Fortnite dances! WOOOO!
You see, back in my day, the hip new thing was the Nyah Cat and Minecraft, you silly hooligans. :4ganondorf:

link2702

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS just kind of... breaks the overall tone of the Fighters Pass

Joker: Total Sakurai bias, but a beloved game that's a modern masterpiece of a JRPG
Hero: Legacy character with an enormous following in Japan, another master of JRPGs
Banjo-Kazooie: A fan request people thought to be impossible, another character with legacy that perfected the foundation Mario 64 started with
Terry: Sakurai bias strikes again, while something of an unknown to Smash fans, a legacy character nonetheless that helped define the fighting game genre

KOS-MOS... Maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with the Xeno series, but KOS-MOS just kinda 'exists'. She's a lot like Morrigan, her own series is done so she just cameos in other games now. Morrigan though his remembered very fondly; people only seem to remember KOS-MOS when she's cameoing in something

Plus it seems to kind of break Reggie and Sakurai's statement that all of the characters would be from 'new worlds' when we already have a Xeno rep in Shulk; but that's just me being pedantic.
I think if KOS-MOS is in, like others said in the past, it's more of a thank you by sakurai to namco. So while it's true that it might "break the tone" of of the pass, I also think it's more to do with namco deserving another character after having worked so much on smash and only having pacman while other 3rd parties have had multiple characters.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
oh boy , what have I walked into, anyway good afternoon from the uk! im getting lunch what you guys wanting?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I missed 2000 but I made it in time for my birth year!
Aaaand

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954?page=43#435

Another onslaught we lost Phoenix right again

And Vergeben is headed for kos-mos next

But waluigi and master chief and probably gonna point out Spyro is still alive
Yeah im gonna take all this with a huge grain of salt after the Sabi drama and him jumping the gun
Might as well post this here as well. Remember this Game Awards leak from last year?

Just because a leak has some stuff correct doesn't mean everything in it is, it can easily miss things or be filled with bogus information.
This is my thoughts exactly. Whoever leaked this probably has some legit info, but the huge stuff is being hidden by Geoff Keighly. If KOSMOS gets in, I’ll be the first to throw in the towel, but I do not see her being #5

T2by4

Smash Lord
I just can't see Kos Mos being a game awards type of reveal. People thought Terry was a literal who, just wait until Kos Mos. Nobody will have a clue where she's from and she doesn't nearly have the history unlike terry.

D

Deleted member

Yeah im gonna take all this with a huge grain of salt after the Sabi drama and him jumping the gun
Sabi might be a horrible person according to the accounts of several individuals who are more trustworthy than not, but that doesn't mean that the information they apparently threaten out of their sources all of a sudden isn't trustworthy.

I've noticed this theme going on in this thread since Fatman dropped the Little Boy (and before every page was "This Year in History"), but just because you suddenly don't agree with Sabi as a shining example of humanity doesn't make them less correct. The only way to stretch "Sabi's a jerk" to "Sabi has no reliable information" is to assume that their sources have had it up to here with them and are actively lying to them to destroy their credibility. Honestly, a fun thought, but until it happens, I'm going to trust most deconfirmations.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I just can't see Kos Mos being a game awards type of reveal. People thought Terry was a literal who, just wait until Kos Mos. Nobody will have a clue where she's from and she doesn't nearly have the history unlike terry.
People would be saying "Oh hey, this is the character from Xenoblade 2".

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
i would say Rosalina and cloud, as Rosalina hasn't been seen in any cgi character reveal trailer as of yet , plus cloud is from the same company, also he was in kingdom hearts, which had a reference to geno in one of the heartless puppet characters
No matter what, Mario needs to be there

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Outside of cameos, I think her last actual game was the early 2000's. Even Banjo's latest game was 2008 and most people consider his series "dead." Geno only manages to skirt crippling irony in this situation because Mario is definitely relevant and has never stopped being relevant.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Sabi might be a horrible person according to the accounts of several individuals who are more trustworthy than not, but that doesn't mean that the information they apparently threaten out of their sources all of a sudden isn't trustworthy.

I've noticed this theme going on in this thread since Fatman dropped the Little Boy (and before every page was "This Year in History"), but just because you suddenly don't agree with Sabi as a shining example of humanity doesn't make them less correct. The only way to stretch "Sabi's a jerk" to "Sabi has no reliable information" is to assume that their sources have had it up to here with them and are actively lying to them to destroy their credibility. Honestly, a fun thought, but until it happens, I'm going to trust most deconfirmations.
My thoughts on this is that Sabi is probably desparate to satiate the fandom and get attention, so they throw out a bunch of “deconfirmations” they arent 100% sure of. Same thing for Verge too.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Given Geoff’s talk about how nothing has leaked and how last year basically the only people who knew Joker was gonna be at TGA were Nintendo and Geoff himself, I’m starting to doubt that whatever character the sources have been told is real. And like the numerous Twitter call outs said, at this point if they can deconfirm so many characters it’s ridiculous that they wouldn’t just have a name.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on this is that Sabi is probably desparate to satiate the fandom and get attention, so they throw out a bunch of “deconfirmations” they arent 100% sure of. Same thing for Verge too.
Just from my stance as a casual observer, we have someone here, in Sabi, to whom credibility means everything. Maybe Vergeben too, but definitely Sabi. They're not going to throw **** to the wind and hope it works out unless they intend to go out saying "haha i trol u" to save some sort of face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom