• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Sorry to bother you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice (I know you're bombarded with questions a lot), but do you mind answering the one I asked you before? I'd just want to know more of the timeline and nature of Waluigi being discussed. Since now he apparently gets talked about a bunch.
So, just to be clear, you're basically saying that if he were any other random Joe of a character you'd think he is super likely... but because it is Waluigi you are hesitant? Like you (and maybe others) would have said some hint about him before due to the constant talk about him, but just haven't since he is a hot button issue? How long have you heard him for? For about as long as Geno and Lloyd? Or did it start small (like you and many others thought it was a troll), but now it is so frequent that people are taking it seriously? So like being pushed for like Steve, but maybe not as aggressively? (Since Steve's push was aggressive to hide Banjo & Kazooie.) So I suppose the traits of what Steve had, but the talks are more natural and less insistent.
Thank you in advance, Popeye! Who knew you could be a good sailor man AND Smash speculator!

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I would find it hilarious if Waluigi turned out to be the first Assist promotion.

I did want him in the game, and would enjoy having him being playable. The character is such a hammy goofball, I love it. He's also Mr. D. Dastardly (can't say the name without getting censored) from the Wacky Races cartoons.

My guy, where'd you find this leaked pic of Waluigi's costume in WarioWare Switch?

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Base game spirits don't mean squat but might lean sakurai to try and get someone not already in the game or something like that. AT promotions are the million dollar question though, I'd say 5 is a hard ceiling and that's only if season 3 really does take the at pass route. If they're just sprinkled in between the regular picks then Isaac and waluigi are the only 2 I think even have a shot. Honestly I'm liking Isaac's chances better rn. the possibility of a switch release remake or no would be a beyond perfect time to bring golden sun to smash properly and it would be criminal to get anyone but Isaac and I'm sure they know that. Felix, Mathew, or a new protag being the smash fighter would be mallow tier and I just don't believe they would be that deaf.

Last edited:

Douglas J. Walker 94

Banned via Warnings
Hey could somebody see about adding me as a supporter.

While I really don't want anymore Mario Representation. I do want to see Geno make it in so as a bonus fighter so we can break that moronic rule that says Spirits deconfirm (Adding Geno in as a bonus character similar to that plant should not be too difficult).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I actively do not want Waluigi to get the promotion because, more so than any other character you could promote, it proves that if you throw a fit and just meme the ever-living **** out of something, you'll get rewarded with the character. And Waluigi just sort of happened to be the first one of the deconfirmations from last year too, so he'd just be getting stupidly lucky for not being later on as a deconfirmation compared to someone like Isaac. It just leaves an awful taste in the mouth.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 : More or less, yes. Coincidentally similar to the character, Waluigi discussions are very volatile. Like I said, he's the only character of the 10 that has legal action tied to him. Doesn't matter that the odds are significantly higher that Paragon got in trouble for Luminary and Undertale content, nobody wants to take that risk. For example, isn't it strange that despite how long the "Waluigi for 5" rumors have been around, Sabi didn't research it? That's because nobody wants to touch a potential bomb that exploded on someone else. Hell, I've even noticed after Paragon that even GameXplain started to be super careful about talking about him in Smash. Does this mean he's in? No. Does this mean that the topic is definitely dangerous in a literal sense? Yes.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice You just made me think about something you mentioned at one point that I have thought about for a LONG time now. Awhile ago, you mentioned that Joker was not really heard until close to the VGA's last year. Yet, there was a time where Vergeben (and others) knew of another Square Rep making the rounds back to when Ultimate was shown off at E3 2018. So it was believed that Square Rep was going to be the first DLC...YET it was Joker. You proposed that MAYBE something got switched (heh) around. Could we have had a scenario where Hero was indeed going to be the first DLC Fighter?

You also mentioned that The infamous Grinch Leak made its way to people at Nintendo of America. Now of course you also mentioned they saw it as a joke...until people started making calls, asking if these characters were in. I believe with this in mind as well as the theory of 6, is it possible that the original DLC plans got moved around to bring about this new wave of 'fan service'?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Sure Waluigi is a fun joke character (not really, but he's just that much of a meme), but I want him because he doesn't have a lot of moves to pull from really. It would be interesting to see how Sakurai makes him into his own character a la Captain Falcon. I think that when Sakurai has freedom to make characters, that's when some of the most fun characters are made.

Also, what's everyone feeling on the rest of DLC through "Season 2"? Any wild predictions? My current guesses are:

FP5: Nightmare

Post-Pass:
Doomguy
Geno
Phoenix Wright/Dante
Waluigi
Sora

Yeah, I'm speculating purely on what info we've got from our resident inside manonice, but I feel like every character here could be likely in some capacity. Limited myself to 5 for convenience, but Lloyd Irving is also likely imo. Sure, it's maybe not the most out-there prediction, but honestly who knows?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
No chance in hell Waluigi is #5

Post pass or even a bonus fighter sure, but for #5? No way. I'm probably setting myself up for failure again but I say smart money is on Nightmare

D

Deleted member

Sure Waluigi is a fun joke character (not really, but he's just that much of a meme), but I want him because he doesn't have a lot of moves to pull from really. It would be interesting to see how Sakurai makes him into his own character a la Captain Falcon. I think that when Sakurai has freedom to make characters, that's when some of the most fun characters are made.

Also, what's everyone feeling on the rest of DLC through "Season 2"? Any wild predictions? My current guesses are:

FP5: Nightmare

Post-Pass:
Doomguy
Geno
Phoenix Wright/Dante
Waluigi
Sora

Yeah, I'm speculating purely on what info we've got from our resident inside manonice, but I feel like every character here could be likely in some capacity. Limited myself to 5 for convenience, but Lloyd Irving is also likely imo. Sure, it's maybe not the most out-there prediction, but honestly who knows?
I pretty much have the same list but I don’t really know about Sora that much. I would love to be wrong but I can’t say for sure if he really will join.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 : More or less, yes. Coincidentally similar to the character, Waluigi discussions are very volatile. Like I said, he's the only character of the 10 that has legal action tied to him. Doesn't matter that the odds are significantly higher that Paragon got in trouble for Luminary and Undertale content, nobody wants to take that risk. For example, isn't it strange that despite how long the "Waluigi for 5" rumors have been around, Sabi didn't research it? That's because nobody wants to touch a potential bomb that exploded on someone else. Hell, I've even noticed after Paragon that even GameXplain started to be super careful about talking about him in Smash. Does this mean he's in? No. Does this mean that the topic is definitely dangerous in a literal sense? Yes.
This is so ****ing bizarre to me. A whole character considered so off-limits that few-to-nary an insider dares mention them even in private for fear of legal johnsoning. Why the hell is this the way things are?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I actively do not want Waluigi to get the promotion because, more so than any other character you could promote, it proves that if you throw a fit and just meme the ever-living **** out of something, you'll get rewarded with the character. And Waluigi just sort of happened to be the first one of the deconfirmations from last year too, so he'd just be getting stupidly lucky for not being later on as a deconfirmation compared to someone like Isaac. It just leaves an awful taste in the mouth.
Not all Waluigi fans throw a fit. Only two bothered Sakurai with bad stuff.

Other fanbases have people throwing fits, too.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Waluigi was a desired character for Smash long before he was meme'd. His meme status practically originated with Brawl In The Family, a fan comic primarily focused on Kirby and the cast of Smash Bros. So no, the memes aren't what would get him into Smash.

I don't believe it's reasonable to not want the character in the game based on that minor factor, especially since he's still beloved by many. He has the most vivid personality of any Mario character, hands down.

Personally, I'd love to see Waluigi get in (not because I want him in, which I do) if only to see the cataclysm that befalls the internet within 2.58 seconds from the moment of reveal.

Internet pandemonium is required every once in a while; it cleanses the impurities and purges what cannot be made pure. And I feel we're overdue for another round of it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This is some abhorrent behavior and I'm honestly shocked to see it coming from you.

I've seen this kind of statement all the time about Geno's fan base, so I'd really think that a fellow Geno fan would understand the woes of Waluigi's. I've met a lot of nice Waluigi fans in my life, and so many of them come from all walks. Painting an entire fan base under one umbrella because of the prevalent bad apples is a terrible thing to do, especially if it means actively going against the idea of making his fans happy. Geno's fans? We get that all the time. It's just... wrong. I'm feverishly against this toxic line of thinking.

That being said, Waluigi is admittedly a can of worms when it comes to assists, namely for long-standing requests like Isaac or Shadow. It definitely makes their fans, namely Isaac's (at least Shadow has a lot of relevance and love elsewhere), look more like chopped liver.

My opinion: I'm neutral on Waluigi. There are a lot of bad and good things about an inclusion like his. I'd be happy for his fans while also feeling awful for Isaac's and my fellow Shadowfriends. It's a lot of mixed emotions.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Not all Waluigi fans throw a fit. Only two bothered Sakurai with bad stuff.

Other fanbases have people throwing fits.
Yeah dude. At this point I'm not even sure why people demonize Waluigi, Ashley, Steve, Geno, Sora etc etc etc for their fans when really, just about every fanbase has their fair share of bad eggs in a sea of decent people. Why single out just one or a few as being the "bad" ones?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see why people don’t want Waluigi. A lot of the negativity did stem from those couple of people that harassed Sakurai. But, that is just a tiny divot of a massive fan base for Waluigi and he gets a bad rap even more than Geno sometimes.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
My opinion: I'm neutral on Waluigi. There are a lot of bad and good things about an inclusion like his. I'd be happy for his fans while also feeling awful for Isaac's and my fellow Shadowfriends. It's a lot of mixed emotions.
Why? As an Isaac fan, I'd be ecstatic. It would show as long as there is genuine demand the AT status can be upgraded. If he truly closes out the pass, it only means good things for characters like Isaac and Shadow post pass.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can see why people don’t want Waluigi. A lot of the negativity did stem from those couple of people that harassed Sakurai. But, that is just a tiny divot of a massive fan base for Waluigi and he gets a bad rap even more than Geno sometimes.
It's beyond that. It's because of the death and dox threats that Sabi got for researching Nintendo's stance on Isaac and Paragon getting them after the Paragon Leak. To say it's a sore subject is an understatement.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
This is some abhorrent behavior and I'm honestly shocked to see it coming from you.

I've seen this kind of statement all the time about Geno's fan base, so I'd really think that a fellow Geno fan would understand the woes of Waluigi's. I've met a lot of nice Waluigi fans in my life, and so many of them come from all walks. Painting an entire fan base under one umbrella because of the prevalent bad apples is a terrible thing to do, especially if it means actively going against the idea of making his fans happy. Geno's fans? We get that all the time. It's just... wrong. I'm feverishly against this toxic line of thinking.

That being said, Waluigi is admittedly a can of worms when it comes to assists, namely for long-standing requests like Isaac or Shadow. It definitely makes their fans, namely Isaac's (at least Shadow has a lot of relevance and love elsewhere), look more like chopped liver.

Hey, thanks for coming in defense of Waluigi fans! Means a lot coming from another Geno fan since it almost feels like the two fanbases are supposed to be mortal enemies or something, lol. I think Geno and Waluigi are pretty similar in this regard, with their fans being belittled by some because their characters are "unimportant", "irrelevant", "undeserving" or "uneeded" because "we already have too many Mario reps" or whatever else. That's one thing I wish no fan of any character, or of anything really, would have to endure ever.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
... are people really serious about Waluigi being the fifth fighter, or are we doing this for the lols?

Like come on, each Fighters Pass character brings music and there over 110 songs and around 120 Spirits from the Mario series that in the base game. What can they possible add in with Waluigi being the Fifth Fighters Pass Character? If Waluigi is truly the Fifth Fighter then they're probably scrapping the bottom of the barrel for music and Spirits.

D

Deleted member

It's beyond that. It's because of the death and dox threats that Sabi got for researching Nintendo's stance on Isaac and Paragon getting them after the Paragon Leak. To say it's a sore subject is an understatement.
Wow. Didn’t know it was a much more serious subject.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
... are people really serious about Waluigi being the fifth fighter, or are we doing this for the lols?

Like come on, each Fighters Pass character brings music and there over 110 songs and around 120 Spirits from the Mario series that in the base game. What can they possible add in with Waluigi being the Fifth Fighters Pass Character? If Waluigi is truly the Fifth Fighter then they're probably scrapping the bottom of the barrel for music and Spirits.
Maybe... he'd bring along some more obscure Mario characters? Perhaps there are some from the Mario Party games that aren't in Smash yet? No idea.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Waluigi would have no issue with a stage and music but I must admit I'd struggle to think of spirits. Unless they play into the meme and all the spirits are just differing versions of Waluigi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly doubt Waluigi is Fighter Pass 5. It just doesn’t make any sense and it wouldn’t feel right.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Waluigi would have no issue with a stage and music but I must admit I'd struggle to think of spirits. Unless they play into the meme and all the spirits are just differing versions of Waluigi.
Maybe... he'd bring along some more obscure Mario characters? Perhaps there are some from the Mario Party games that aren't in Smash yet? No idea.
Exactly. MC Ballyhoo is probably the most notable original Mario Party character and he's already a spirit, so um... those sun and moon guys from Mario Party 6? I dunno lol.

It'd be a hassle to think of spirits to add with Waluigi, which is just one of the many, many reasons I don't believe he has at shot at being #5 at all. I'll be supporting him till the bitter end of DLC, though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Why? As an Isaac fan, I'd be ecstatic. It would show as long as there is genuine demand the AT status can be upgraded. If he truly closes out the pass, it only means good things for characters like Isaac and Shadow post pass.
That's good! That's a better outlook to have, honestly. I know some Isaac fans would treat it vitriol, though, and I've already seen it elsewhere. Even if not for Ultimate, I'd see it as a good sign that Isaac could still make it someday.

Hey, thanks for coming in defense of Waluigi fans! Means a lot coming from another Geno fan since it almost feels like the two fanbases are supposed to be mortal enemies or something, lol. I think Geno and Waluigi are pretty similar in this regard, with their fans being belittled by some because their characters are "unimportant", "irrelevant", "undeserving" or "uneeded" because "we already have too many Mario reps" or whatever else. That's one thing I wish no fan of any character, or of anything really, would have to endure ever.
Why is there no art of Geno and Waluigi fist-bumping? If it existed, it would go right here. I could make it exist, but... I don't feel like drawing tonight. :drflip: Just use your imagination.

Besides, he's the mascot of the Camelot Bros.! Waluigi and Geno are two of three peas in a pod!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The WAH Spirit Board:
-Waluigi (Tennis)
-Waluigi and Wario (Mario Kart: Double Dash!!)
-Waluigi (Dance Dance Revolution)
-Waluigi (Winner)
-Waluigi (Loser)
-Waluigi (Waluigi’s Taco Stand)

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Here's a solution to Waluigi not having a stage, music, and spirits to bring with him: make him not part of the Fighters Pass.

The Fighters Pass DLC character so far all bring with them a stage, music, and spirits... except for Piranha Plant, who I know was technically meant for the base game, but at the end of the day, Plant was still a DLC character who didn't come with anything. So, how about including Waluigi as a standalone "bonus" DLC character who isn't part of the Fighters Pass and thus doesn't come with anything?

Although, if Waluigi had to come with something, I could see him bringing at least one music track...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The WAH Spirit Board:
-Waluigi (Tennis)
-Waluigi (Mario Party victory)
Uh, and Waluigi from Brawl in the Family, 'scuse you!!

Waluigi is 99% not 5 and I will literally drink water if he is. Just like Dante, he's either real or fake and time will prove it either way.
Drink water anyway, it is good for you

Be good to yourself, my man

I drink Zephyrhills and Nestle Pure Life, cleanest water, good if you don't like metallic tasting trash

Geno supports good water and keeping yourself hydrated

:drflip:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Actually I just thought of a great idea all of the Waluigi spirits should be Waluigi in styles for games he wasn't in. An original Mario Bros. Waluigi, A Mario Bros 3 Waluigi, A Super Mario World Waluigi, A Mario 64 Waluigi, A Paper Waluigi, A Mario Galaxy Waluigi, and so on but for the legendary spirit a Mario Kart 7 Waluigi. It would be great.
That's good! That's a better outlook to have, honestly. I know some Isaac fans would treat it vitriol, though, and I've already seen it elsewhere. Even if not for Ultimate, I'd see it as a good sign that Isaac could still make it someday.
I'm sure some would but I don't care much about the radical elements that are in every fanbase.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Why is there no art of Geno and Waluigi fist-bumping? If it existed, it would go right here. I could make it exist, but... I don't feel like drawing tonight. :drflip: Just use your imagination.

Besides, he's the mascot of the Camelot Bros.! Waluigi and Geno are two of three peas in a pod!
You just gave me yet another reason to want both in the next wave of DLC, lol. I'd be digging the Geno/Waluigi fan art til I reach the center of the Earth!

Here's a solution to Waluigi not having a stage, music, and spirits to bring with him: make him not part of the Fighters Pass.

The Fighters Pass DLC character so far all bring with them a stage, music, and spirits... except for Piranha Plant, who I know was technically meant for the base game, but at the end of the day, Plant was still a DLC character who didn't come with anything. So, how about including Waluigi as a standalone "bonus" DLC character who isn't part of the Fighters Pass and thus doesn't come with anything?

Although, if Waluigi had to come with something, I could see him bringing at least one music track...
Destruction Dance DLC with Waluigi or riot :drflip:

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
The WAH Spirit Board:
-Waluigi (Tennis)
-Waluigi (Winner)
-Waluigi (Loser)
-Brawl In The Family Waluigi
-Walurambo
-Techno Waluigi

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I want both Geno and Waluigi in, so hearing this news gives me a glimmer of hope that somehow both could get in. I definitely want Geno in before Waluigi, despite not really playing SMRPG much, I’ve taken quite a liking to Geno’s design and how Geno certainly shows how close Nintendo and Square were back in the 90’s, and I know that Geno is one of the most requested characters so I’d be happy for you guys as well. Of course, if Geno gets in the first thing I’m doing is playing SMRPG all the way to the end. But if both Geno and Waluigi get in I’ll be extremely happy, as I love Waluigi and play as him in any Mario spin-off game there is.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
The WAH Spirit Board:
-Waluigi (Tennis)
-Waluigi (Winner)
-Waluigi (Loser)
-Brawl In The Family Waluigi
-Walurambo
-Techno Waluigi
-Baby Waluigi
-Paper Waluigi
-Waluigi (Super Mario 64 DS)
-Waluigi holding a rose pleeease let this be a real spirit
waluigi rose gif.gif