• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I'm talking out of my ass when I theorize about Dante's moveset, as I have only watched gameplay of DMC, but he strikes me as Bayonetta but with a Sword. And sometimes a motorcycle. He's probably the most boring Capcom character they could throw in, barring another Street Fighter face. At least Reimu has a ton of unique moveset potential, and the collective freak out would be legendary - fans would go wild and the confusion from people who have never heard of the franchise would be tangible.
Haha, no. Dante has a lot of moves and a lot of weapons. So much so that it was hard to incorporate everything that Dante can do in the Marvel vs Capcom games. Have his Smash Attack and certain special moves be based on alternate weapons from DMC 1 to 5 would be so killer.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
he strikes me as Bayonetta but with a Sword. And sometimes a motorcycle
Bayonetta with a sword, guns both realistic and fantastical, ice nunchucks, light gauntlets, twin fire and wind swords, a guitar that is also an axe and also shoots lightning, and yes, a motorcycle, buuut I'm pretty sure most people with motorcycles don’t use them the way Dante does

The best way to represent Dante imo would be including as wide a variety of his weapons as possible, given that the style system from DMC3 onward was based around switching weapons mid-combo. Now if Dante DID get in with just his sword and guns, that would be less exciting, but hey, I can dream

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Haha, no. Dante has a lot of moves and a lot of weapons. So much so that it was hard to incorporate everything that Dante can do in the Marvel vs Capcom games. Have his Smash Attack and certain special moves be based on alternate weapons from DMC 1 to 5 would be so killer.
You could say the exact same thing about Bayonetta, just to be fair.

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
If Dante actually makes it in one of his songs better be Devil Trigger

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Bayonetta with a sword, guns both realistic and fantastical, ice nunchucks, light gauntlets, twin fire and wind swords, a guitar that is also and axe and also shoots lightning, and yes, a motorcycle, buuut I'm pretty sure most people with motorcycles don’t use them the way Dante does
Cool he won't use any of them

D

Deleted member

Aside from my bias against him, I really think this is why he might actually be leakbait/just a rumor. Just because he could bring a variety of weapons to the game doesn't change the fact that Devil May Cry is a game about comboing the **** out of a variety of otherworldly enemies, and Bayonetta simply claimed that spot first.

Then again, it didn't stop Terry from happening, so it's a weak reason.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm talking out of my ass when I theorize about Dante's moveset, as I have only watched gameplay of DMC, but he strikes me as Bayonetta but with a Sword. And sometimes a motorcycle. He's probably the most boring Capcom character they could throw in, barring another Street Fighter face. At least Reimu has a ton of unique moveset potential, and the collective freak out would be legendary - fans would go wild and the confusion from people who have never heard of the franchise would be tangible.
You are the king of 0/10 hot takes recently my homeslice. If you think Dante is the most BORING character Capcom could get, then I'd hate to see what you think wouldn't be boring. Also, Dante has a lot of weapons that aren't his guns. There are a LOT, but a few that you didn't name are...
  • Cerberus, a pair of nunchaku that can expand much like a Power Pole and has ice effects
  • Beowulf, a pair of gauntlets and greaves with which he can rapid attack pummel you with
  • Nevan, a guitar-styled Devil Arm that fires off electricity and controls bats when he plays it as well as using it like a sickle
  • A buttload of different guns other than Ebony and Ivory, his iconic semi-auto pistols, including a bazooka with a bayonet that works like a grappling hook
  • Agni and Rudra, two serrated blades that can whip out fire and ice tornadoes
Hell, one of the weapons he gets is mother freakin Pandora's Box which shapeshifts into all sort of crap but he can also OPEN PANDORA'S BOX for an attack! That's not even mentioning the new stuff from DMC5, like his motorcycle or Michael Jackson's hat.

See, that's where you are wrong my friend, and here is why.

Other than his cocky attitude, Dante's whole shtick is switching between weapons in combat for sick combos. He's basically the face of hack-n-slash, and that's saying a lot what with Kratos being around. He's been in a two fighting games already, those being MvC3 and MvCI and, wouldn't you know it, he uses most of the weapons we've been talking about. Even if you want to ignore DmC, Donte is in PSASBR and despite being a multi-weapon character amongst many MANY multi-weapon characters he was done some justice there too.

Once again, this is Sakurai we are talking about. He's faithfulness to the source material is ungodly amazing and getting the character right is very important to him. Having Dante without multiple weapons is not a possibility: you either get Dante using a crap-ton of weapons, or you don't get Dante.

I hate to be like this, but you guys REALLY need to inform yourselves better before you Negative Nancy all over a character's possible inclusion. It's why I don't go out and say stuff about characters I don't know being boring. At most, I just say they aren't likely because if I haven't heard of them, they have to be rather niche.

Back to Serenade though, Bayonetta didn't claim anything. Having a singular character in Smash who does a thing? Come on now, we all know better than that just be looking at Smash over the years, and Dante would be incredibly unique. Plus, we have to re-enacted that Death Battle so we can actually find out the truth of who is better.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I also can't see Kamiya being okay with Dante being in a game with Bayonetta

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
He'd probably be perfectly fine with it. He vetoed Bayonetta being in Project X Zone 2 (a game that also has Dante in it), but only because he wanted to make a Dante/Bayonetta crossover game himself... and he eventually regretted the veto anyway.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, a second pass that has Crash, Hayabusa, Doom Guy, Dante, and Geno would be freakin sweet. Then again, I would take any characters if both Doom Guy and Crash were with them.

D

Deleted member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIwh0njInPk

In the words of my favourite NBA and Basketball player Kawhi Leonard

Uh Ha Ha Ha ha Ha heh.

So Sabi's revealed Dante from Devil May Cry could potentially be an upcoming character hmm?

I'm completly on board from what I've seen of Dante with his gun slinging sword wielding badass nature and attitude I'm 100% alright with a choice like this. But look if it's not him I am behind Leon/Jill from Resident Evil or Phoenix Wright as well. I adore Ace Attorney and would love to see our favorite lawyer in. Leon or Jill as well.

So any of them would be great.

But Completely behind Dante. Have got too see more about Devil May Cry someday. Pretty sweet news overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Since namco's the only one talked about that hasn't gotten shot down, I'm just gonna say lloyd for the time being. I'm still iffy on lloyd being #5, but I do think he is inevitable.

Clarifying Edit: I actually don't mind Lloyd. Yeah, its "another JRPG/Animu Sword guy" but I still think that 1: Soccerguy can make a good moveset for anyone (besides marth clones) and 2:Unlike Persona and DQ, I've actually played Symphonia.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Uh, unless the contract to include Bayonetta in Ultimate had a “you can never ever add Dante from the Devil May Cry series to this game” clause, I don’t think he has a say in the matter?

D

Deleted member

And the hits just keep coming so now it might be Dante as fighter #5 huh?

That's fine as long as he still remains a possible pick.

Game Awards are close.

While I have been excited about finding out who character #5 could possibly be I'm also looking forward to who it is we can move on to whoever comes in the post fighter's pass.

Looking forward to it all the same though.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Uh, unless the contract to include Bayonetta in Ultimate had a “you can never ever add Dante from the Devil May Cry series to this game” clause, I don’t think he has a say in the matter?
Yeah I'm sure Sakurai would go out of his way to piss off a good friend of his just because there's no contract saying he can't

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yeah I'm sure Sakurai would go out of his way to piss off a good friend of his just because there's no contract saying he can't
Uhhh...
He'd probably be perfectly fine with it. He vetoed Bayonetta being in Project X Zone 2 (a game that also has Dante in it), but only because he wanted to make a Dante/Bayonetta crossover game himself... and he eventually regretted the veto anyway.
What are you talking about, xpnc xpnc ?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Before I take a nap Dante is suddenly in a good spot due to rumors, I wake up and he's dead for 5. The heck man, how did this not even last a day. Oh well if it's not Dante Capcom isn't 5 which is a shame as he would be a great addition. Can't say I didn't suspect as much with the directors comments. I've always said that the mere fact he even implied that the fighters in Smash have their games on Nintendo systems kind of shows a lack of knowledge about how Sakurai chooses characters. Post pass though hopefully will rectify it. Now hopefully Llyod doesn't die as well.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Perfect. The graveyard of all my requested characters keep growing by the day. I don't even know why I bother at this point.
Before I take a nap Dante is suddenly in a good spot due to rumors, I wake up and he's dead for 5. The heck man, how did this not even last a day. Oh well if it's not Dante Capcom isn't 5 which is a shame as he would be a great addition. Can't say I didn't suspect as much with the directors comments. I've always said that the mere fact he even implied that the fighters in Smash have their games on Nintendo systems kind of shows a lack of knowledge about how Sakurai chooses characters. Post pass though hopefully will rectify it. Now hopefully Llyod doesn't die as well.
At least he's better off now than where he was before. This makes him more likely for post pass DLC if he's in rumor circles.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
A bit late to the party but decided to throw in a 3x3 of who I would add next as well. If this was for actual future dlc then #10 can just be whoever your favorite is, on the house.

1574812707229.png

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Geno and Dante are my most wanted, I want BOTH to make it in. But apparently neither are FP5, now.

Why wan't that made clear when it was mentioned? Like, Sabi really came out and said Dante's being rumored but PapaGenos comes out and clarifies "not really"?

Good grief, people. I'm not one to be frustrated by speculation but this brief exchange was ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

Fighter five is... Reimu. Reimu win.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
At least he's better off now than where he was before. This makes him more likely for post pass DLC if he's in rumor circles.
No one can agree on who the fifth fighter is going to be, there's no way people were able to figure out all these other fighters that won't be shown off in long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom