• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Problem with Wooly World is it's pretty damn easy. The artstyle is great and all but it's just an attempt to capture that Yoshi's Story nostalgia while doing something aesthetically unique.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Problem with Wooly World is it's pretty damn easy. The artstyle is great and all but it's just an attempt to capture that Yoshi's Story nostalgia while doing something aesthetically unique.
You kind of have to be in a different mindset for a Yoshi game as opposed to Mario, even for the original Yoshi's Island which was the closest to a standard Mario platformer. They're not really a gauntlet of tests to pass through in a given amount of time, it's more what you can get and interact with. These games encourage you to take your time and absorb the aesthetic (they wouldn't even bother with the colorbook/art aesthetics in these games if you just rushed them, they'd just pull out the default Mario look and call it a day) :yoshi:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I've already briefly talked about my thoughts on the Yoshi's Island trilogy and I rarely get to talk about the Yoshi series, so I guess I'll throw my two cents on the other games.

Yoshi's Story looks like a one of a kind game. Though whether or not that kind of game is good or not it's up for debate. It looks interesting enough to me that I got on Wii VC by, uh, other means. I haven't had the time to play much of it, but I like the charming early 3D render art style, the unconventional way to clear levels and of course, the weird ass music. I still need to finish it to say anything definitive, though.

As for the modern games, eh, I don't have much to say. I've played the Crafted World demo. It was good enough and I'm sure the rest of the game is fun too. Same with Woolly World. I just think I like the Yoshi's Island formula better.

And to whoever says this conversation isn't related to Geno, Yo'ster Island from SMRPG was referenced in Crafted World, so shut up :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I've already briefly talked about my thoughts on the Yoshi's Island trilogy and I rarely get to talk about the Yoshi series, so I guess I'll throw my two cents on the other games.

Yoshi's Story looks like a one of a kind game. Though whether or not that kind of game is good or not it's up for debate. It looks interesting enough to me that I got on Wii VC by, uh, other means. I haven't had the time to play much of it, but I like the charming early 3D render art style, the unconventional way to clear levels and of course, the weird ass music. I still need to finish it to say anything definitive, though.

As for the modern games, eh, I don't have much to say. I've played the Crafted World demo. It was good enough and I'm sure the rest of the game is fun too. Same with Woolly World. I just think I like the Yoshi's Island formula better.

And to whoever says this isn't related to Geno, Yo'ster Island from SMRPG was referenced in Crafted World, so shut up :ultpacman:
Your chance to talk about those games are increased whenever I decide to jump in to this thread, though some of you reading might already know that. The only Yoshi game I actively despise is New Island, so take that what you will.

And WW and CW kind of do use the Island formula--especially Woolly World--just that they removed the Baby Mario health mechanic :yoshi:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Your chance to talk about those games are increased whenever I decide to jump in to this thread, though some of you reading might already know that. The only Yoshi game I actively despise is New Island, so take that what you will.

And WW and CW kind of do use the Island formula--especially Woolly World--just that they removed the Baby Mario health mechanic :yoshi:
That's right, and I have to thank you for being the resident Yoshi fan in this household and bringing him into the conversation whenever necessary :yoshi:

Hmm, I think you're right about that. It's mainly the lack of baby Mario that makes the difference here. We all know how earrape-y he can be, but the gimmick of having to grab him back after getting hit is part of what makes the Island games so unique. Especially in DS where you have a variety of babies on your side (uh, that doesn't sound quite right thinking about it).

And speaking of that, man, do I want that mechanic back and expanded upon in an actually new game, not only because it's an awesome mechanic in general, but because it gives the babies more purpose than just being throwaway filler in your Mario spin offs

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
New theory.

Since the 5th Fighter's Pass is likely to be revealed at the Game Awards, Geoff Keighly, as the host, most likely knows who Fighter 5 is.

So the smart thing would be to analyze what he says and does really closely to see if he accidentally drops any hints. And in doing so I noticed something.

"Geoff" is only a couple letters off from "Geno".

It's happening

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
4EFB88F7-C0E5-4E75-B89B-269B8C651C5C.jpeg

Whoever was making that compilation of anti-Geno posts, here’s another to add to the pile

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
View attachment 247867
Whoever was making that compilation of anti-Geno posts, here’s another to add to the pile
Yeah yeah, never ever, we've heard it all before.

He honestly sounds like one of those guys who, if Geno does get in, will be one of the first ones to come back and say, "I knew he always had a chance!"

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
He honestly sounds like one of those guys who, if Geno does get in, will be one of the first ones to come back and say, "I knew he always had a chance!"
Which translates to: "I was always afraid he'd have a chance"

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
If vergeben says that the 5th dlc isn't Gordon Freeman, then I have no goddamn idea who the hell is the last dlc.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
You know, if SmashFAQs is so sick of hearing about Geno, maybe they should tell the detractors to stop obsessing over him. There's a far larger chance a hater will bring him up in a non Geno topic over a fan doing it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Pre-E3 2018 leaks. I kinda want to return to that time :yoshi:
Literally a time before the impossible: Every veteran returning, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie. We will never see speculation like that again since each barrier the fans deem impossible keeps getting broken by Sakurai. The days of "Only expect relevant characters" is over.

Edit: I'm curious to see BestGuyEver's Geno meme Smash video when he get's in as he did a fantastic job on his Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie ones:

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
New theory.

Since the 5th Fighter's Pass is likely to be revealed at the Game Awards, Geoff Keighly, as the host, most likely knows who Fighter 5 is.

So the smart thing would be to analyze what he says and does really closely to see if he accidentally drops any hints. And in doing so I noticed something.

"Geoff" is only a couple letters off from "Geno".

It's happening
Suppose he showed up dressed like this:

hmmm....we might be onto something.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 247867
I've got another one I just saw from a "best of Banjo-Kazooie in Smash" video of all things. GameFAQs is pretty well known for their anti-Geno shenanigans (and I can confirm from lurking in that website), but I've seen a lot of that in YouTube comment sections too. This is a smaller one, but it shows how widespread the Geno hate is for some reason

Goes without saying, but PLEASE don't go harass this guy or do anything stupid like that. Just thought I'd leave this disclaimer

Screenshot_20191124_124933.jpg

Edit: I'm curious to see BestGuyEver's Geno meme Smash video when he get's in as he did a fantastic job on his Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie ones:

My dude, those are always one of the best parts of a character reveal like that! The Banjo one wasn't actually made by BestGuyEver himself, but that style of video is so great it doesn't even matter. I'm super hyped to see how Geno's could end up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Literally a time before the impossible: Every veteran returning, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie. We will never see speculation like that again since each barrier the fans deem impossible keeps getting broken by Sakurai. The days of "Only expect relevant characters" is over.

Disappointingly, he didn't make a Banjo video, but he did meme it up for Sans. Given the ending of his K Rool video, though, I assume he's pulling for Geno and we'll be getting an exceptional one.

LDGno97

Smash Cadet

The Banjo one is very good made . TheBestGuyEver didn't make that one. But he made one for Sans, calling it Hopes & Dreams
(idk if anyone saw it?)
in the end, he was hinting Reimu. And he hinted Geno in the K. Rool video...still waiting for that one, the edition would be INSANE

MisterMike

Smash Champion
View attachment 247867
This is just a copypasta, I've seen this same post on twitter numerous times.

I hope he does one, too. But if he doesn't, I'll certainly be more than willing to pick up the slack.

I posted this in the Newcomers/DLC Discussion thread as a joke prediction for Terry's presentation, but it's something I would legitimately love to see happen: Subspace Emissary Remastered.

Essentially just Subspace Emissary ported over from Brawl, but with adjustments and improvements like...
  • All of the stages are graphically overhauled to look better
  • Some stages have their designs slightly altered to accompany characters with different moves (such as Pit now having a different Up Special)
  • The overall story still only has the Brawl characters, but the other characters not in Brawl can be found in secret areas after beating certain stages (the same way Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were found in the original mode in Brawl).
  • The cutscenes, while otherwise unchanged, are upscaled and remastered.
  • Enemies and their placement are altered. Instead of just Mario enemies + Smash original enemies, you also see enemies from other series like Zelda and Kid Icarus (possibly reusing assets from Smash Run).
  • Like Galleom was in World of Light, the boss characters have their attack patterns altered.
  • Instead of just two players, you can now have four-player co-op.
  • Trophies, Trophy Stands, and the sticker items return, but picking them up instead gives you a spirit.
  • Spirits are used in this mode instead of stickers.
I had a very similar idea a while back. Looks like great minds do think alike.

I had a few other alterations in mind (mostly for multiplayer), and now seems as good a time as any to share them. While me and my boy really enjoyed it back in the days of old, the multiplayer was often pretty fustrating. These changes are all oriented around the 2 player Co-Op, but I figure that even if you were content with the multiplayer, you wouldn't really mind these changes.

• First, and here’s the ****ing big one; Player 2 is now treated as an equal, and not like the kid Player 1 is babysitting. That means every arbitrary setback that Player 2 suffered? Gonzo. Player 2 can now enter doors, and if Player 1 loses all his/her lives, the game will not end so long as Player 2 still has stock left.
  • The camera. Hoooh, BOY, the camera. Brawl offered a pretty good solution for player's lagging behind (movement speed and jump height was dramatically increased if seriously stuck behind, as well as Player 2 having a Space Jump). But it just wasn’t enough to keep lagging behind from causing frustration, especially in side-scrolling stages.

I tried a variety of fixes, but ultimately settled on cutting out the middleman entirely and changing how the camera works completely. Witness.

• The camera no longer exclusively tracks Player 1, or any character, and, it is no longer possible for one player to be lagging far offscreen outside of select circumstances. But how? Easy; a split screen feature is added to co-op, like in games such as Minecraft. For those not sure what I mean, if Player 1 and 2 are separated, then the screen will split in half; Player 1 will be on the upper half and Player 2 will be on the bottom half. This alone solves so much with so little and feels like a much more natural solution than what Nintendy came up with. Now, you can be apart as long as you desire; and you still have the Space Jump if you need it. And another thing, Player 1 has the Space Jump too now.
A few non multiplayer changes include

• Enemies can be grabbed and pummeled like in Smash Run.
  • Some enemies won't die underwater (and some have special underwater moves
  • A few more I don't remember now

Yeah that really doesn't make much sense. Unless Jumpman and Mario are two different characters and Mario is Jumpman's son and Pauline is Arcade Pauline's daughter so they're celebrating their history maybe idk. Mario canon is weird.
I've always been a huge fan of Jumpman being Mario's son. It always just made sense to me.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think it’s nice for Half Life fans that they’re getting a rep. And I’m always happy for fans of the other series for getting their character. I never know how Sakurai is thinking, but if he’s going this route, I don’t know how good Geno’s chances are. I liked Smash more when it was more about Nintendo/Mario characters. Sakurai has opened the spectrum up so much(it has it’s positives and negatives)that I think putting Geno in is too far gone I’m afraid.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I think it’s nice for Half Life fans that they’re getting a rep. And I’m always happy for fans of the other series for getting their character. I never know how Sakurai is thinking, but if he’s going this route, I don’t know how good Geno’s chances are. I liked Smash more when it was more about Nintendo/Mario characters. Sakurai has opened the spectrum up so much(it has it’s positives and negatives)that I think putting Geno in is too far gone I’m afraid.
Sakurai might be going on a more third party direction lately, but I think he might still see value in adding Geno and maybe other Nintendo characters. After all, we just got Banjo and he hits close to home too, so what's stopping our puppet boy from showing up later down the line?

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure it's been covered before, but I've been gone for a bit- can someone fill me in on the objective timeline of the Gordon "leak," and how much of what the leaker covered was known before he also claimed Gordon was in smash? Thanks

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
My mind's still kinda blown by the fact that we've surpassed 1800 pages in this thread. Let's keep this hype train a-rollin'!

In order to bolster hope and contribute to good luck, I'm actually getting some Geno cosplay stuff prepared; We actually got the cloak finished yesterday, and it's pretty comfortable to wear! We'll be focusing on the hat soon enough. Was meant to be done in time for the convention i sold my print at earlier this month, but, c'est la vie -- it'll at least be ready for the next event.

I'll have it at the ready for the next presentation as a good luck charm. I might take pictures! :ultduckhunt:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
How would you guys react if Sakurai pulled a fast one, the insiders were wrong and Geno was #5?
The "I was wrong" Thread would blow up. Especially when people said "They are not going to upgrade a spirit to a fighter in the Fighter's Pass"

Though, I do not think he will be number 5. He is certainly coming after the pass.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Couple things of things
  1. BestGuyEver never made a Banjo-Kazooie one, though I have seen two in his style, but I will say much like Little Z is pretty funny but King of Skill is the master of Smash Ultimate meme videos, these videos don't really compare to BestGuyEver. They are good, but I can tell they aren't his, if that makes any sense. Thus, it frustrates me that he made a Sans video with no Banjo-Kazooie video, but that's my bias against Undertale in play.
  2. He also made a Simon Belmont video titled "Sign Of The Cross" which is another amazing video in this type of format. it introduced me to Iron Maiden who is now one of my favorite bands and helped me find a genre I never knew growing up due to being raised by a Christian family who censored that kind of stuff and now I may have found my favorite genre of music. Here is that video.
    It may be one of his best, though I still think that four hours and twenty minutes of YMCA playing while you realize that having a song by Village People be a theme for Isabelle is the most perfect thing in the world is still pretty good.
  3. I actually just watched the Sans one, and it didn't give me all that much cancer, since it was obviously more of a joke video than a celebration while still kind of being one. I even laughed at the part where Sakurai was the drill sargent telling Toby Fox that he liked him. Quality stuff yet again, BGE.
  4. There was a comment on that Banjo video that said they imagine the DQ Crew weren't in Smash before Ultimate because they were fighting against Microsoft to save another dynamic duo of heroes...and I have to say, I would like to believe this as my personal headcanon. It's just such a wholesome thing to think about considering the two fanbases were kinda torn in some ways and most Smash fans had something against the DQ Crew happening in any capacity. The idea of the DQ Crew storming the Softlands and breaching the Gates of Xbonia and fighting their way to the top of the Dreaded Micro Tower just because they heard rumors of 'Heroes of the West' were trapped there gives me life.
First off, nothing from Valve is confirmed at all, let alone something from Half-Life, a game that gets either nothing at all or not what people have been asking for. I would never expect Sakurai to reach out to Valve for a character any time soon. I'm not trying to be rude, but it just seems like the Valve requests fall into this category of either not being genuine or just recently gaining any sort of steam and any talks about credibility and validity of a Valve rep seems like nothing but a joke to me. I'm not saying I don't want you to root for your character, but I'm saying that nothing at all points to a Valve rep and this reported 'leaker' has basically nothing to go on and we've seen people like Vergeben and Hitomi fall off the face of the Earth despite having more credibility at one point in time.

Also if you think Geno isn't coming, you must have been living under a rock the past year, or at LEAST the past couple months. Read up and I'm sure you will see that Geno is so close to a lock right now it's actually mind-blowing. Also also, I think you guys are running away from Lloyd Irving way too fast. I'm expecting some Tales Of Arise news at the VGAs, perhaps a trailer with a release window. If that happens, I feel like a Lloyd reveal would be less unlikely by all of the standard people are trying to run it by.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My bad on saying that Banjo & Kazooie video was BestGuyEver's. The thumbnail and the style of that video was very much like his in almost everyway.

OffBi

Smash Ace
There was 4chan post where they asked to post people's most wanted in 3x3 format, so here's mine
3x3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom