• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Also also, I think you guys are running away from Lloyd Irving way too fast. I'm expecting some Tales Of Arise news at the VGAs, perhaps a trailer with a release window. If that happens, I feel like a Lloyd reveal would be less unlikely by all of the standard people are trying to run it by.
Nah, I still don’t think that tracks. The Tales series has never been incredibly popular over here, and this isn’t even a DQ deal where it’s able to double as a promotional pick for the new game, Arise has nothing to do with Lloyd. Even someone being introduced to the series by Arise info would have no basis for who Lloyd is besides “an entirely unrelated character from the same over-arching franchise.”

If something’s actually happening at the Game Awards, it’s going to definitely be for a character that the audience will recognize.

(I specifically say “the audience” because I know that some people here had no idea who Joker was before his announcement, while his game was one of the previous year’s GOTY nominations and won Best RPG, so people familiar with the Game Awards from the previous year were more than likely familiar with him.)

When Geno gets into smash, we playing on the Winnie the Pooh TV.
View attachment 247912
It looks like he’s straight-up eating the screen.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Apparently Fatman was banned from PapaGenos’ server for posting a meme image? Anyone else have more info?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Let’s just wait for fatman to clarify. It was probably just a mostly harmless joke gone wrong

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Apparently Fatman was banned from PapaGenos’ server for posting a meme image? Anyone else have more info?
I know what happened! The Insiders found out who Fighter 5 was, and they banned Fatman from the server because they know he posts here, and they don't want it to get out! IT'S THE PERFECT PLAN! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd post my 3x3 of who I want in Smash, but...

... it'd just be Geno nine times over... :drwtf:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Nah, I still don’t think that tracks. The Tales series has never been incredibly popular over here, and this isn’t even a DQ deal where it’s able to double as a promotional pick for the new game, Arise has nothing to do with Lloyd. Even someone being introduced to the series by Arise info would have no basis for who Lloyd is besides “an entirely unrelated character from the same over-arching franchise.”

If something’s actually happening at the Game Awards, it’s going to definitely be for a character that the audience will recognize.

(I specifically say “the audience” because I know that some people here had no idea who Joker was before his announcement, while his game was one of the previous year’s GOTY nominations and won Best RPG, so people familiar with the Game Awards from the previous year were more than likely familiar with him.)

It looks like he’s straight-up eating the screen.
*Says that if we get a Smash VGA announcement, it will be a character a general audience knows*

*Forgets that P5 is still rather niche, that DQ Crew and B&K also have their levels of niche, that Terry is very niche to zoomer gamers, and Sakurai's own words*

1574631456053.png

RingJ5

Smash Ace
*Says that if we get a Smash VGA announcement, it will be a character a general audience knows*

*Forgets that P5 is still rather niche, that DQ Crew and B&K also have their levels of niche, that Terry is very niche to zoomer gamers, and Sakurai's own words*

View attachment 247928
I did not say a general audience. I specifically included that last bit to specify that it was the audience of the TGAs, which was incredibly receptive to Joker and knowledgeable about the character due to prior experience with him at the event.

Imagine if things were pushed back a bit, and we were just about to get #4, not #5. Could you see Terry working as a huge announcement on a giant stage like that?

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I did not say a general audience. I specifically included that last bit to specify that it was the audience of the TGAs, which was incredibly receptive to Joker.

Imagine if things were pushed back a bit, and we were just about to get #4, not #5. Could you see Terry working as a huge announcement on a giant stage like that?
Yes, honestly, as long as it came with KoFXV or something related to it.

Remember, I'm not a zoomer nor do I just stick to Smash. To people like me, Terry is a name that means something.

This is Sakurai's train and we get to hop aboard when he says and where he says. Hell, we could get something before or after the VGAs, it doesn't even have to be there! Or, as I'm trying to say, it can be an announcement that doesn't apply to your mindset of 'Needs to appeal to a general gamer audience because VGAs' as I'll have you know, most of the announcements that happen there really aren't that big a deal.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I did not say a general audience. I specifically included that last bit to specify that it was the audience of the TGAs, which was incredibly receptive to Joker and knowledgeable about the character due to prior experience with him at the event.

It's Smash, I doubt the general audience at TGA cares about anything other than "it's Smash, get hype". Unless it's a character that EVERYONE knows, like Kratos, Sora, Master Chief, Nathan Drake, etc; I think most people only care that it's Smash rather than it's that dude from Persona 5.

Also I think you overstate Persona 5's popularity, the game had sold a total of 2.4 million copies by TGA 2018. Sure, it was a definitely a popular JRPG; but there are a ton of comparable titles, FE:TH has sold nearly as much in terms of sales in less then half the time, XC 2 should be hovering around the 2 million mark right now. Then there are series like DQ, FF, and Kingdom Hearts who obviously outsell P5.

Tales of definitely has sold a similar amount as P5 as well; Symphonia has done a comparable amount (although that does count the HD rerelease). Vesperia has sold a total of 1.6-1.7 million too.

Persona and Tales aren't all that different in terms of popularity, if you look at the number of sales each game does. Now if you compare Persona to a game like Trails or Ys; then yes, P5 would be a lot more popular.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Fun stuff. It was light NSFW and is literally the first image that comes up for "Fat otaku" on Google image search. Basically a Reimu fan was being catty about Geno and I was catty back for fun.
rofl that's like, stuff you get a slap on the wrist for, not an outright ban

wat

(Also it's a shame, I love Geno and I like Reimu, and I've met some incredible Reimu fans... but some of them are awfully bitter about Geno, for some reason...?? Like, a lot of Geno hate I see lately is from people who love Reimu, and I'm like... no. No! Shrine maiden and star boy are FRIENDS! :drflip: )

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It's Smash, I doubt the general audience at TGA cares about anything other than "it's Smash, get hype". Unless it's a character that EVERYONE knows, like Kratos, Sora, Master Chief, Nathan Drake, etc; I think most people only care that it's Smash rather than it's that dude from Persona 5.

Also I think you overstate Persona 5's popularity, the game had sold a total of 2.4 million copies by TGA 2018. Sure, it was a definitely a popular JRPG; but there are a ton of comparable titles, FE:TH has sold nearly as much in terms of sales in less then half the time, XC 2 should be hovering around the 2 million mark right now. Then there are series like DQ, FF, and Kingdom Hearts who obviously outsell P5.

Tales of definitely has sold a similar amount as P5 as well; Symphonia has done a comparable amount (although that does count the HD rerelease). Vesperia has sold a total of 1.6-1.7 million too.

Persona and Tales aren't all that different in terms of popularity, if you look at the number of sales each game does. Now if you compare Persona to a game like Trails or Ys; then yes, P5 would be a lot more popular.
If I could just throw my 2 cents in here, I think we’ve been putting too much stock in character 5 being a “fit” for the game awards. I would estimate a 0% chance that Sakurai was considering how much hype the character would generate at an American awards show when he picked them. And like you said, it’s Smash so there’s gonna be hype whoever it is.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
rofl that's like, stuff you get a slap on the wrist for, not an outright ban

wat

(Also it's a shame, I love Geno and I like Reimu, and I've met some incredible Reimu fans... but some of them are awfully bitter about Geno, for some reason...?? Like, a lot of Geno hate I see lately is from people who love Reimu, and I'm like... no. No! Shrine maiden and star boy are FRIENDS! :drflip: )
I'm in the Reimu Discord and yeah, it's true sadly...
tfw you only care for two characters and their fanbases can't get along
1572340397895.jpg

D

Deleted member

There was 4chan post where they asked to post people's most wanted in 3x3 format, so here's mine
View attachment 247915
Rayman, Doom guy and Geno are all great. Waluigi and Crash are decent then the others are "eh". Solid line up but not perfect imo though as long as it has Geno I'm happy.

Mine would probably also include Reimu, Isaac and Rex/Pyra but that's a solid lineup.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 247933
Being a Geno and Waluigi fan, I can relate to that. Lots of shade being thrown around from both sides it looks like, it's actually refreshing when I see another person who's a fan of the two

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Geno is comin' to Super Smash Bros
Smithy Claus is coming a little earlier this year! :ultpacman:

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Yes, honestly, as long as it came with KoFXV or something related to it.

Remember, I'm not a zoomer nor do I just stick to Smash. To people like me, Terry is a name that means something.

This is Sakurai's train and we get to hop aboard when he says and where he says. Hell, we could get something before or after the VGAs, it doesn't even have to be there! Or, as I'm trying to say, it can be an announcement that doesn't apply to your mindset of 'Needs to appeal to a general gamer audience because VGAs' as I'll have you know, most of the announcements that happen there really aren't that big a deal.
...Er, the TGAs are unironically the largest multi-company announcement event of the year. Last year we got MK11, Outer Worlds, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, the first trailer for Psychonauts 2, Hades(the new game from Supergiant), CTR, new content for both PUBG and Fortnite... a lot of pretty huge stuff. It’s not some small event that companies trot out whatever for.

Though I get that you might personally love the character, someone like Terry being announced there wouldn’t exactly seem like a highlight for most. Same, as much as I hate to say it, for a character like Geno. Would we love to have him in Smash? Absolutely. Would a huge show-stopping reveal remotely make sense for a character most people have never actually heard of? I heavily doubt it.

Right now, Persona has significantly more international popularity than Tales does. They might very well be comparable in Japan, and I am in no way arguing against that, but overseas Persona is easily, easily the more popular of the two.

Though, I will say that a very large part of that more has to do with the soundtrack than the game itself, from what I’ve seen(or, in this case, heard), but either way it does still keep it relevant and in people’s minds.

If I could just throw my 2 cents in here, I think we’ve been putting too much stock in character 5 being a “fit” for the game awards. I would estimate a 0% chance that Sakurai was considering how much hype the character would generate at an American awards show when he picked them. And like you said, it’s Smash so there’s gonna be hype whoever it is.
You’re all saying that the hype would be there no matter what, but I personally doubt it. Going back to my “pushing things back” scenario, imagine if instead of Joker being announced at the Game Awards, we got... Piranha Plant. Would there really be “hype” for that, or more... confused laughter?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
quick, anyone got the post where Tracer was officially deconfirmed for FP5 again? I need it for reference

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Being a Geno and Waluigi fan, I can relate to that. Lots of shade being thrown around from both sides it looks like, it's actually refreshing when I see another person who's a fan of the two

Smithy Claus is coming a little earlier this year! :ultpacman:
He´s bringing Geno back home to all the good boys!

D

Deleted member

The thing that upsets me about Papa Geno's discord is that Papa Geno seems like such a genuine and nice guy and he deserves to have a civil server. Obviously that's wishful thinking for any server, but its saddening because idk if PapaG realizes how toxic some of the regular posters are there or how hard some of his mods power-trip. That's just my observation of it though, granted I've only been there for a coupla months.

Fatman's ban wasn't just imo. A warning would have been more adequate, and I'm sure Fatman's used to getting those by now. ;)

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
The thing that upsets me about Papa Geno's discord is that Papa Geno seems like such a genuine and nice guy and he deserves to have a civil server. Obviously that's wishful thinking for any server, but its saddening because idk if PapaG realizes how toxic some of the regular posters are there or how hard some of his mods power-trip. That's just my observation of it though, granted I've only been there for a coupla months.

Fatman's ban wasn't just imo. A warning would have been more adequate, and I'm sure Fatman's used to getting those by now. ;)
Do the mods even ban the toxic people? i feel sorry for Papa Geno´s too

Ovaltine

Smash Master
View attachment 247933
Ugh, I can only imagine how bitter it gets...

It's sad, too. A lot of Geno fans I've seen actually really like Reimu and Touhou. I'm sure there are some Geno fans who are terrible to Reimu's, though.

I kinda just wish we could get along and not drip so much venom over what video game characters we like/want to see in Smash.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

So I want to have a cool-headed discussion about this since Zero's video is very calm and all about discussion.

I think he makes a lot of good points, but it's the one near the end of the video that falls in line PERFECTLY with what I have been saying for years, which is that other gamers and the FGC don't accept Smash as a fighting game because of the Smash community.

In this video Zero talks about this and shows a clip from a video titled "The Disconnect Between Smash Brothers and the FGC" and there is this segment where some Smash player who looks totally out of his element shows up at the commentator table and doesn't even know who Alex Valle is...the man who's nickname is Mr. Street Fighter at a setting called Wednesday Night Fights that has been popular in the FGC for going around nine years. The kid didn't even know why he was there other than he was told they need a commentator and when Papa Valle asks him if he knows anything about Street Fighter, the kid responds with that he knows Ryu is in the game.

This lines up perfectly with my description about the Smash community in response to Terry Bogard. As a fighting game fan myself, I've played a bunch of them. I understand terms and I know the names of popular players and generally when events are held and I admire iconic moments in the FGC history and I recognize most character from most fighting games. Just being an honest fan of fighting games makes you an FGC community member for the most part. You'll notice that professional players often give other fighting games a try to compete in them: for example, Chris G was the Morrigan king in UMvC3, but he's tried his hands at KoF, DragonBall FighterZ and others. But you know what you don't see? Big name FGC players moving over to play Smash. Even more importantly, you know what else you don't see? Smash professionals playing other fighting games.

These two groups absolutely do not mesh, and there are a number of reasons as to why, but to be fair I'll start with the FGC's side. The reason you don't see players like Diago, Chris G, Fenrich, Go1, Justin Wong, SonixFox, HookGangGod or any other big time FGC professionals hit up Smash is because they all play what I like to call traditional fighting games. Smash is so far removed from that ON PURPOSE by Sakurai because of his KoF experience with that couple that he absolutely bodied. Smash still IS a fighting game, but not in the traditional sense, and it takes a lot of effort to get it as close as it can be to that experience and even then it's still very foreign. I mean, I have to knock you off the stage instead of getting your health to zero? There are multiple levels to a stage? I have to recover back to the stage?! What is this crazy stuff?

On the other end, the Smash community knows ONLY Smash, to the point where they know little about the FGC or other games at all. They don't branch out and it's almost like the entire Smash community is a bunch of hermits who know nothing about the outside world of fighting games and it causes issues and struggles between the communities. For example, as someone who's played fighting games since I was in single digits of age, seeing Sakurai go over motions like that with Terry was nothing new to me at all, yet I see all these Smash players failing at doing simple Fireball and Shoryu motions and it makes my head hurt, nevermind the more complex inputs for his Super Special Moves. Anyone who struggles with these would faint at some of the inputs in other fighting games, like 360s, 720s, double half-circle back to quarter-circle forward and both punches and my personal struggle, doing proper neutral motions in Tekken where you let the directional pad/stick return to neutral for just the right amount of time before inputting the next part of the command. Add in stuff like that with Sakurai clearing talking to that kind of Smash fan who doesn't get anything about traditional fighting games meaning he knows much of Smash's fanbase appeals to that kind of audience and now you see why these fan bases cannot get along.

Then you got me, who loves both Smash and other fighting games (I'm hooked on SamSho rn) and who watches tournaments and loses his mind like an ape at the plays some players make and unless the game itself is boring to watch (hello MK11!) I'm down with it. I love watching high-level Smash play and I respect those players of that caliber like I do anyone else, but hot damn if the rest of the community doesn't have this giant dividing disconnect.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ugh, I can only imagine how bitter it gets...

It's sad, too. A lot of Geno fans I've seen actually really like Reimu and Touhou. I'm sure there are some Geno fans who are terrible to Reimu's, though.

I kinda just wish we could get along and not drip so much venom over what video game characters we like/want to see in Smash.
I came to appreciate Reimu after the Reimu stuff from a while back motivated me to look into her. Didn't know that there was some sort of divide between the two fanbases, as I don't recall seeing anything like that on the Reimu Smashboards thread. I just don't understand what those Reimu fans would have against Geno specifically, as the two characters are rather separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom