• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
If hero didn't get Geno and chocobo, and Terry didn't get heihachi, then who the hell did banjo loose?
I kinda hope there were scrapped microsoft costumes since that leaves the door open for another rep

D

Deleted member

No one. I'd say the two Rocket Grunt clothing options count as two separate outfits. Those two, Goemon, Zero, Protoman, and Sans? That makes six. That is, of course, if the Power of Six theory is correct.

ETA:

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/11/...ng-to-be-less-rigid-with-the-mario-franchise/

Also, this could be good news for Geno, by the way. If Geno doesn't get into Smash, I don't know if it'd be because of Miyamoto interfering. It sounds like he's more open to exploring different characters and deviating (including past characters, presumably, given Pauline's return).

C'MON, Y'ALL! BRING MY BOY HOME~!! :drflip:
Wait Miyamoto is more open to allowing RPG stuff to actually y'know be an RPG worth while?

Does that finally, finally mean Paper Mario could be good again? possibly....?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Wait Miyamoto is more open to allowing RPG stuff to actually y'know be an RPG worth while?

*clears throat*

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHG!!!!

That is EXACTLY what that means!!!
Miyamoto asked Intelligent Systems to only use preexisting Mario characters for Sticker Star!
Miyamoto actually asked AlphaDream to only use existing characters for Dream Team (they said no)
And then the wildest, craziest, most original Mario game in at least a DECADE came out, and it was pumped full of new characters, settings, and it didn’t even have Boos or Bob-Ombs in it and I said to myself

“Man I hope this means Miyamoto will let them go wild with Mario RPGs again.”

And THERE IT IS! STRAIGHT from the horse’s mouth.

This is a good day.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
No one. I'd say the two Rocket Grunt clothing options count as two separate outfits. Those two, Goemon, Zero, Protoman, and Sans? That makes six. That is, of course, if the Power of Six theory is correct.

ETA:

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/11/...ng-to-be-less-rigid-with-the-mario-franchise/

Also, this could be good news for Geno, by the way. If Geno doesn't get into Smash, I don't know if it'd be because of Miyamoto interfering. It sounds like he's more open to exploring different characters and deviating (including past characters, presumably, given Pauline's return).

Now THIS is interesting. I do not think it hinders Geno in Smash at all. It does however open up the door towards a more lush Mario game. I am wondering if Alpha Dream going bankrupt had anything to do with Miyamoto taking this new line of thinking?

I am just excited for the possible 'back to roots' RPG style. Please give us SMRPG, Paper Mario (64 and TTYD) and Super Paper Mario like stories again!

D

Deleted member

Now THIS is interesting. I do not think it hinders Geno in Smash at all. It does however open up the door towards a more lush Mario game. I am wondering if Alpha Dream going bankrupt had anything to do with Miyamoto taking this new line of thinking?

I am just excited for the possible 'back to roots' RPG style. Please give us SMRPG, Paper Mario (64 and TTYD) and Super Paper Mario like stories again!
Odyssey probably helped a lot. It was the first mainline Mario game in a while where they really went wild with the creativity and it ended up coming out excellent.
That said I demand that these little dudes show up in the next Paper Mario
1574552175405.png

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

ETA:

Now if only Takashi Tezuka will loosen up with Yoshi's games a little more :yoshi:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Odyssey probably helped a lot. It was the first mainline Mario game in a while where they really went wild with the creativity and it ended up coming out excellent.
That said I demand that these little dudes show up in the next Paper Mario
View attachment 247829
Your not wrong on that! Also YES! I can definitely see them taking some ideas from Odyssey and now I want that as a party member. Make them like a bard like character...that would be perfect!

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Your not wrong on that! Also YES! I can definitely see them taking some ideas from Odyssey and now I want that as a party member. Make them like a bard like character...that would be perfect!
“A Paper Mario game with a Tostarenan party member that’s a bard” is one of the greatest combinations of words I’ve seen in a while.

Maybe we could get a Luma! Or some of the classic enemies they’ve never used like a Shy Guy or a Whomp. Maybe they could go super weird and we could get a New Donker.

Getting myself excited lol. The possibilities are endless, they just have to do it.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
God, if we actually get a proper sequel to TTYD I'm gonna go nuts. There is not a single Smash reveal that could get me as hyped up as this. Paper Mario used to be my absolute favorite franchise with the original still being my most beloved game of all time. Just the possibility of this actually happening has me beyond exited!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

Sadly it was far more than Miyamoto that caused Paper Mario to be bad. No telling whether the people at IS will also do what's necessary for a good game.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
GenoSleep.png
Miyamoto loosening up on the Mario series could mean Geno could come back to the Mario series.
GenoSleep.png
Miyamoto loosening up on the Mario series could mean we may get a proper Paper Mario game.
GenoWakeUpAngry.png
Miyamoto loosening up on the Mario series could mean Hotel Mario will finally become canon.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well I'm glad it's at least in the open now whereas before much of the idea was held together with quotes and conjecture. While we certainly don't know if Miyamoto was the reason the rpg characters never crossed over into anything it seems more likely then company disputes or something else trivial when plenty of one shots and minor characters from the mainline series made it in to various things like Rosa and the flipping honey queen.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Please be sure to credit the artist who drew that, my friend! (The Geno in the Switch, not the obvious official Mario art.) Aside from that...

Mario seems awfully distressed to see Geno. Does he know something Luigi doesn't? Is it possible for Geno to possess a Switch? Does that mean they effectively detached his limbs by detaching the Joy-Cons? Mama freaking mia...
I feel awful! I can't find the tweet that was in! ;_;

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Miyamoto loosening up on the Mario franchise. Hmm... No Geno Mii costume revealed so far... Last year Nintendo tweeting about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Star's anniversary. :eek:

... Geno in Smash Bros. Ultimate,

and...

legit Super Mario RPG SEQUEL?!?!?!?!?!?! :2gud:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Miyamoto loosening up on the Mario franchise. Hmm... No Geno Mii costume revealed so far... Last year Nintendo tweeting about Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Star's anniversary. :eek:

... Geno in Smash Bros. Ultimate,

and...

legit Super Mario RPG SEQUEL?!?!?!?!?!?! :2gud:
HELL YEAH!

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
So I was gone for an hour to watch a movie and...

*clears throat*

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHG!!!!
Thank you for summing up my reaction, Spatulo Spatulo .

This ... this is the best news I've heard in a while.

For the last couple years, I've been appreciating the Mario universe's richness in characters and locales among other things more than so ever before, and have been noticing their decline in favor of the generic tropes the franchise is known for. Not to say games like NSMB or 3D World aren't good or that they ruined the series or anything, but aside from some fantastic exceptions like Odyssey, it's been long since we saw the creativity of games like Galaxy or Thousand Year Door.

And of course, most of that has been attributed to Miyamoto. And now that he's had a change of heart, I think it's safe to say Odyssey wasn't just a fluke and that we may see more creativity and experimentation in future Mario games.

Finally, like other people have said, this is a damn good boost (pun not intended) to Geno's chances of getting into Smash, and maybe even into another game, who's to say? All I know is that we're on one of the best timelines. Hit it, Gilva! :drflip:

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If they are afraid with testing the waters with characters, then start using them in Mario Kart and other spin-offs. Pauline in Tennis was a great start.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

The Geno vs. Weird Al battle has begun. While I’m personally voting for Al, whoever loses this is getting all my loser’s bracket votes whenever possible. The link to vote is in the video description.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Geno vs. Weird Al battle has begun. While I’m personally voting for Al, whoever loses this is getting all my loser’s bracket votes whenever possible. The link to vote is in the video description.
>Rooting for Weird Al
>In the Geno Thread

Yikes... nah jk they're both good so may the best competitor win.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Ok guys, I’m gonna do a trademarked GAME SHOW WITH PLANK to pass the time:
What’s your most wanted Non-Character addition? Like a new mode or a new feature or fixing the horrendous online
My most wanted Non-Character addition is a tie between an upgraded special smash or Smash run with online, the ability to fight other players, more customization, and new maps.
I posted this in the Newcomers/DLC Discussion thread as a joke prediction for Terry's presentation, but it's something I would legitimately love to see happen: Subspace Emissary Remastered.

Essentially just Subspace Emissary ported over from Brawl, but with adjustments and improvements like...
  • All of the stages are graphically overhauled to look better
  • Some stages have their designs slightly altered to accompany characters with different moves (such as Pit now having a different Up Special)
  • The overall story still only has the Brawl characters, but the other characters not in Brawl can be found in secret areas after beating certain stages (the same way Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were found in the original mode in Brawl).
  • The cutscenes, while otherwise unchanged, are upscaled and remastered.
  • Enemies and their placement are altered. Instead of just Mario enemies + Smash original enemies, you also see enemies from other series like Zelda and Kid Icarus (possibly reusing assets from Smash Run).
  • Like Galleom was in World of Light, the boss characters have their attack patterns altered.
  • Instead of just two players, you can now have four-player co-op.
  • Trophies, Trophy Stands, and the sticker items return, but picking them up instead gives you a spirit.
  • Spirits are used in this mode instead of stickers.

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
Also Hotel Mario being canon would mean that YouTube Poop is canon to the Mario universe.

I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
I'd like to think that Geno is on a stage rocking out against Weird Al and Michael Jackson during the Silvagunner tournament. The thought is pretty hilarious tbh lol.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I posted this in the Newcomers/DLC Discussion thread as a joke prediction for Terry's presentation, but it's something I would legitimately love to see happen: Subspace Emissary Remastered.

Essentially just Subspace Emissary ported over from Brawl, but with adjustments and improvements like...
  • All of the stages are graphically overhauled to look better
  • Some stages have their designs slightly altered to accompany characters with different moves (such as Pit now having a different Up Special)
  • The overall story still only has the Brawl characters, but the other characters not in Brawl can be found in secret areas after beating certain stages (the same way Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were found in the original mode in Brawl).
  • The cutscenes, while otherwise unchanged, are upscaled and remastered.
  • Enemies and their placement are altered. Instead of just Mario enemies + Smash original enemies, you also see enemies from other series like Zelda and Kid Icarus (possibly reusing assets from Smash Run).
  • Like Galleom was in World of Light, the boss characters have their attack patterns altered.
  • Instead of just two players, you can now have four-player co-op.
  • Trophies, Trophy Stands, and the sticker items return, but picking them up instead gives you a spirit.
  • Spirits are used in this mode instead of stickers.
I absolutely love this idea, thank you for sharing

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Now if only Takashi Tezuka will loosen up with Yoshi's games a little more :yoshi:
I KNOW, RIGHT?! Stop giving Yoshi to Arzest, for one! They REALLY did not handle Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island well. Woolly World was cute and alright, and Crafted World was... uh... it could have been better. We haven't had any standout Yoshi games since Yoshi's Island and, arguably, Yoshi's Story. (Melon... runs...)

I feel awful! I can't find the tweet that was in! ;_;
https://twitter.com/gabthebag/status/1196919105871372289

It's okay, I gotchu!

Sadly it was far more than Miyamoto that caused Paper Mario to be bad. No telling whether the people at IS will also do what's necessary for a good game.
Unfortunately, yeah, that's the main issue. Miyamoto gave suggestions, but he ultimately didn't do much beyond, "Hey, maybe don't make more OCs and make the story less rich." Tanabe took that as, "INUNDATE THE SERIES WITH TOADS AND REMOVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF STORY IMAGINABLE," and ran with it. I'd honestly place the blame there instead of Miyamoto.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I KNOW, RIGHT?! Stop giving Yoshi to Arzest, for one! They REALLY did not handle Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island well. Woolly World was cute and alright, and Crafted World was... uh... it could have been better. We haven't had any standout Yoshi games since Yoshi's Island and, arguably, Yoshi's Story. (Melon... runs...)
Well WW and CW was Good Feel actually, but I think the point still stands. Tezuka shouldn't be afraid to do more with my boi. :yoshi:

Though Arzest is still around and doing business with Nintendo, so there's still a chance the series would return to them. Depressing...

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
A mode I've always wanted is one where you get to create your own custom color palette for a character. This type of mode is usually found in pro wrestling video games. A lot of people really like seeing a character's alternate colors when they're revealed.

I was actually hoping this mode would be in Ultimate after the 2018 E3 Direct because it showed that there were more customizable options than ever like with toggling showing echo fighters on the CSS and creating multiple rulesets. Also, the fact that they starting implementing more alternate costumes like Yarn Yoshi also made me think this mode was coming.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Unfortunately, yeah, that's the main issue. Miyamoto gave suggestions, but he ultimately didn't do much beyond, "Hey, maybe don't make more OCs and make the story less rich." Tanabe took that as, "INUNDATE THE SERIES WITH TOADS AND REMOVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF STORY IMAGINABLE," and ran with it. I'd honestly place the blame there instead of Miyamoto.
It’s important to note that Tanabe and the team who made SS and CS are not the same as the people who made Paper Mario in its heyday, a lot of them were from Vanpool (known for Dillon’s Rolling Western). I don’t know how much of the staff who made the old Paper Mario games still work at Intelligent Systems but I know the director does, he made Codename STEAM if I’m not mistaken. Given that IS outsourced a lot of the work for Three Houses to Koei Tecmo, maybe they’ve actually got their main staff working on Paper Mario?...

I don’t actually know how likely that is but I can dream.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It’s important to note that Tanabe and the team who made SS and CS are not the same as the people who made Paper Mario in its heyday, a lot of them were from Vanpool (known for Dillon’s Rolling Western). I don’t know how much of the staff who made the old Paper Mario games still work at Intelligent Systems but I know the director does, he made Codename STEAM if I’m not mistaken. Given that IS outsourced a lot of the work for Three Houses to Koei Tecmo, maybe they’ve actually got their main staff working on Paper Mario?...

I don’t actually know how likely that is but I can dream.
That'd be great, if so, but... I doubt it. I'm a HUUUUGE Paper Mario fan, and I've just about given up on the series. Even if the other Mario spin-offs and the main series get improvements (and they have been, so far, for the most part), IS hasn't been up to snuff for Paper Mario... or heck, even FE. FE was going downhill after Awakening, and the best FE in recent memory was made in large part by Koei Tecmo, not IS.

I just... don't have faith in IS anymore and it's really sad.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Being one of the half a dozen people who loves and is nostalgic for Yoshi's Island DS, that hurts a bit to read. I'll also let you know it was akshualy developed by Artoon... of which most of its staff later jumped ship and moved on to found Arzest. :ultpacman:

That said, I'm right there with you and hope they'll never get their hands on the Yoshi series again. It kinda baffles me as to why Nintendo hasn't attempted to make a proper sequel to the original. It's one of their most beloved games and all it gets is a decent yet flawed sequel and a lazy rehash that were outsourced to a shoddy developer? Come on :yoshi:

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Mario Canon is so ****ing weird, considering Pauline doesn't recognize or acknowledge having known Mario prior to his arrival in New Donk City, then proceeds to hold a festival celebrating and referencing the events of the original Donkey Kong.

It's the most malleable canon of all time and basically changes from game to game. So its about damn time they're less "rigid" with it. In an ironic way, exploring more settings and directions for Super Mario might help to actually solidify its world rather than regurgitating settings and plotlines each game and changing nuances.

D

Deleted member

Mario Canon is so ****ing weird, considering Pauline doesn't recognize or acknowledge having known Mario prior to his arrival in New Donk City, then proceeds to hold a festival celebrating and referencing the events of the original Donkey Kong.

It's the most malleable canon of all time and basically changes from game to game. So its about damn time they're less "rigid" with it. In an ironic way, exploring more settings and directions for Super Mario might help to actually solidify its world rather than regurgitating settings and plotlines each game and changing nuances.
Yeah that really doesn't make much sense. Unless Jumpman and Mario are two different characters and Mario is Jumpman's son and Pauline is Arcade Pauline's daughter so they're celebrating their history maybe idk. Mario canon is weird.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like to think Pauline knows Mario, but doesn’t acknowledge their past because of nervousness or whatever else, or maybe they’ve been friends this whole time (she was in Mario vs. Donkey Kong, or at least one of those games; I only played the one on DS). Her song also sounds like it’s for Mario specifically.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm confused as to how the Rocket Grunt counts for two to get us to six. If it's just male and female, then technically Hero came with 5 costumes because the Martial Artist was specifically shown as having a male and female form.

I just don't really see the "Power of Six theory" and think it's just sort of that they've been slow on releasing costumes and probably intentionally held some of the "potential future character choices" back from the beginning. They could have just dumped a whole bunch at the end if they hadn't decided to make more DLC anyway.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island is still easily my favorite yoshi game. that said, I thought Woolly World was actually really really good.

Crafted World was...okayish.

Yoshi's story is something I have nolstalgia for but can admit isn't exactly great. I loved the game back in elementary school, but after playing it on the Wii VC when I was much older years ago, I just couldn't get into it.

Yoshi's island DS was mediocre and forgettable

Yoshi's Kazoo Island is lame as ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom