• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Even then, I look past it and remind myself that Piranha Plant did not steal Isaac's moveset and therefore isn't technically more important, just different.
This is probably the realest take on PP I have ever read. Different being the key word of why I shouldn't get upset over him being in the game and not Geno.

Hopefully we can have both in the game someday.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Ah, "Gaming in the Clinton Years"... I always assumed the series was a parody.
I remember their Street Fighter Alpha 2 review, where they unironically recommend picking certain characters (specifically the shotos like Ryu and Dan) using their crouching Heavy Kick attack to cheese the opponents. Makes me wonder how they would handle a Smash Bros. game...

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Since this thread seems to have slowed down, let me pose a question!

If you could pick five veterans to give the Ultimate moveset treatment to, who would it be?

If Mario isn't on everyone's list, I'll be baffled. I would also have Donkey Kong and Sonic as the other top picks. I also would put Luigi higher up too, as nowadays a moveset with his Poltergust would make a lot of sense.

If I had to pick a fifth, that'd be harder as the ones I listed above I think need a more drastic change. Though I would also say that maybe make Wario's more diverse with Wario Land stuff (though that isn't a necessity), and maybe give Samus a more updated toolkit. Maybe you could also give Link a more Breath of the Wild inspired moveset, and maybe you could make a moveset for Yoshi more based off of Yoshi's Island?

...oh and Ganondorf too of course. Though I actually think he works pretty well in Ultimate (though not ideal).

Edit: Veterans as in characters not new to Ultimate. Though I guess if you really hated a newcomer's moveset you could change it.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

If you could pick five veterans to give the Ultimate moveset treatment to, who would it be?

If Mario isn't on everyone's list, I'll be baffled. I would also have Donkey Kong and Sonic as the other top picks. I also would put Luigi higher up to, as nowadays a moveset with his Poltergust would make a lot of sense.

If I had to pick a fifth, that'd be harder as the ones I listed above I think need a more drastic change. Though I would also say that maybe make Wario's more diverse with Wario Land stuff (though that isn't a necessity), and maybe give Samus a more updated toolkit. Maybe you could give Link a more Breath of the Wild inspired moveset, and maybe you could make a moveset for Yoshi more based off of Yoshi's Island?

These are just my ideas. ...oh and Ganondorf too of course. Though I actually think he works pretty well in Ultimate (though not ideal).
Define veterans

Ovaltine

Smash Master

If Mario isn't on everyone's list, I'll be baffled. I would also have Donkey Kong and Sonic as the other top picks. I also would put Luigi higher up to, as nowadays a moveset with his Poltergust would make a lot of sense.

If I had to pick a fifth, that'd be harder as the ones I listed above I think need a more drastic change. Though I would also say that maybe make Wario's more diverse with Wario Land stuff (though that isn't a necessity), and maybe give Samus a more updated toolkit. Maybe you could give Link a more Breath of the Wild inspired moveset, and maybe you could make a moveset for Yoshi more based off of Yoshi's Island?

These are just my ideas. ...oh and Ganondorf too of course. Though I actually think he works pretty well in Ultimate (though not ideal).
Sonic, Wario, Ganondorf, Luigi, and Joker.

Sonic needs more of a diverse move set that makes use of more of his abilities. Wario needs more Wario Land in his move pool. Ganondorf needs no explanation lol. Luigi could use more Luigi's Mansion and Mario & Luigi influence in his move set (replace that fire with LIGHTNING, BABY). Joker, as much as I love him, could have had a much neater move set if it made more use of his wild card dynamic.

EDIT: Unless you're discounting Ultimate newcomers, in which case, yeah, I'll say Mario, too. He has so much more that can be added to his move pool.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

The one character whose moveset I wish could be changed is Wario's. Have a bit more Warioland in it and get rid of the stupid fart move. Ganondorf would also be a huge one to change. Give him more dark magical powers and the like.

mario, I don't feel as strongly about TBH. it'd be nice to replace FLUDD with something less situational, and maybe it'd be nice to replace it with cappy. Otherwise I think Mario's moveset is pretty, well, Mario-like.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Sonic, Wario, Ganondorf, Luigi, and Joker.

Sonic needs more of a diverse move set that makes use of more of his abilities. Wario needs more Wario Land in his move pool. Ganondorf needs no explanation lol. Luigi could use more Luigi's Mansion and Mario & Luigi influence in his move set (replace that fire with LIGHTNING, BABY). Joker, as much as I love him, could have had a much neater move set if it made more use of his wild card dynamic.

EDIT: Unless you're discounting Ultimate newcomers, in which case, yeah, I'll say Mario, too. He has so much more that can be added to his move pool.
I respect your choices, all good ones! Though no Mario in place of Joker? I guess the thing with Mario is that his moves are at least inspired by different games. The problem is that the games are outdated.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Look, if you really wanted the character then you would be excited with the reveal regardless of knowing about a leak or choosing not to believe it.

It's not like knowing the character is coming a head of time is the only way you can really appreciation them getting in,
This is a strawman. Nobody's saying taking a risk is the ONLY way to enjoy Smash speculation; we're saying it's one of the primary ways because it is. It is how a sizeable portion of the fanbase participates in the community and it's not invalid just because you think your way is the only objectively sensible way to do so. Your way is just one of several, so is taking a risk and believing a leak that looks credible. To each their own. It's not a matter of facts, this is a matter of pathos, of perspective.

Firox

Smash Master

Always thought this'd make a cool stage. It could go one of two ways:
Normal Stage:
Idea 1: The kinklinks can be attacked, and the chandeliers fall like in the game.
Idea 2: The kinklinks lose their grip on the chandeliers because of the heavy weight of the fighters, and you have to balance them out like a see-saw.
Travelling Stage? Kinda:
Idea 3: Once the chandeliers fall you'll be fighting in the throne room.
Idea 4: The throne room gets covered in rubble, and you emerge on Vista Hill outside as Exor strikes down on the castle.
This is both ingenious, creative and unique to SMRPG. I gotta say, you've sold me.

NoA source doesn't. Two of Sabi's biggest, including their biggest, supposedly do though. That's why virtually no one is challenging the No Ryu, Crash, Tracer, Doom Guy, or Geno statements.
I like how Vergeben came out in the last week with an "official declaration" that Geno, Doomguy and Ryu won't be fighter #5 as if he (and the rest of us) didn't already hear it from Sabi. Gotta stay relevant! :4pacman:

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

If Mario isn't on everyone's list, I'll be baffled. I would also have Donkey Kong and Sonic as the other top picks. I also would put Luigi higher up too, as nowadays a moveset with his Poltergust would make a lot of sense.

If I had to pick a fifth, that'd be harder as the ones I listed above I think need a more drastic change. Though I would also say that maybe make Wario's more diverse with Wario Land stuff (though that isn't a necessity), and maybe give Samus a more updated toolkit. Maybe you could also give Link a more Breath of the Wild inspired moveset, and maybe you could make a moveset for Yoshi more based off of Yoshi's Island?

...oh and Ganondorf too of course. Though I actually think he works pretty well in Ultimate (though not ideal).

Edit: Veterans as in characters not new to Ultimate. Though I guess if you really hated a newcomer's moveset you could change it.
I would mainly just change the clone characters so that they're no longer completely so, or at least just semi-clones like Luigi, Falco, Isabelle, Chrom, and Ken.
  1. Roy (give him a moveset that emphasizes the fire sword aspect)
  2. Young Link (a moveset with the Biggoron's Sword and the masks, like Hyrule Warriors)
  3. Dr. Mario (honestly think he's better as just an alt costume for regular Mario, but I wouldn't mind a unique moveset with the Viruses)
  4. Lucina
  5. Dark Pit (just give him Pit's Brawl moveset)
Special Mention: Ganondorf. I'm fine with him as of Ultimate since I think he's now different enough from Captain Falcon, but I would at least give him some moves using the duel swords from Hyrule Warriors.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

My biggest gripe is definitely with ganondorf, I would really like if his moves more adequately reflected his oot portrayal. Give me magic balls and earthquake punches dammit.

After that, I'd have to say rosalina, I think could use a tune up. She's fun to play, but her moveset is far too dependant on luma, who is far too easily dispatched.

Next up: Samus. Just a small change, but I'd like to see them incorporate some of the alternate beams from metroid prime.

Fourth is donkey Kong. Give my boy his coconut gun, so that I can fire in spurts. Also maybe incorporate rambi in one of his moves, a-la wario's motorcycle

And finally: mii fighters, give us more move options for a more customizable experience.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy, here we go. This might be a long one:

64: Mario, Link, Samus, Luigi.

Mario: Why didn't they record new voice clips for Mario? Or just use the Odyssey ones? Why does he still use FLUDD? Why isn't Cappy in his grabs, or literally anywhere else other than a brief cameo you'll barely see in his Up B? What about his ground pound or roll? Why doesn't he have a triple jump, kinda like Banjo's? Bring back Fire Mario!

Link: They need to overhaul Link. The steps Sakurai did was good, but it needs to be way more. I'd change his Up-B to be Revali's Gale. Link can use the hang-glider to float like Peach/Daisy. I'd change his Neutral B into a spin attack. Why didn't he have Magnesis for his grabs? Missed opportunity.
Samus: Another one a result of weird design choices, which I call "64 Syndrome" - the character's moveset is so old, you can literally tell through how dated they feel to play.

Luigi: Luigi just feels.. off to play. I was playing Classic Mode and I could barely hit Dracula because Luigi was jumping so high. His dash attack is bad. Everything else seems okay apart from his side-smash, I'm not sure what it is about it, I just don't like it.

Melee: Ganondorf, Dr Mario

Ganondorf: Sword is great, but him still being a clone of Falcon is awful.

Dr Mario: I actually like Dr Mario in Ultimate, his meteor-stomp is badass. But he should be using unique voice clips and not Brawl Mario's. I'd change his up-B to something else to improve on what Sakurai did to differentiate Dr Mario from regular Mario. Smash attacks too. Everything else is pretty good.

Brawl: Sonic

Sonic: Christ. Please, out of all the fighters Sonic needs a massive rework. There is no reason why he should play like he does. I'd include a boost like he has in the Modern games, and it works a bit like Banjo's Wonderwing. If not the boost, then Super Peelout like CD and Mania. Literally anything else for Sonic. His Up-B could have Tails fly him up, his Side B should not be another spindash. Not exactly sure what to replace it with.

As for the Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers, there's not really much I could change. I can't play Olimar to save my life but I think he's okay. Same with Megaman. Wii Fit seems a bit off, but manageable. Some of Palutena's specials could have been different. I miss Angelic Missile. I was looking forward to playing Inkling but I can't play them either, lol. A lot of the Smash 4 newcomers I can hardly play, but their movesets are fine.

Edit: Damn I forgot about Young Link! Yeah, he needs a rework too. He should not be the the replacement for the traditional Link moveset we had prior to Ultimate. Why Fierce Deity wasn't his final smash is mind-blowing. And the King of Red Lions too for TL's final smash.
Dark Pit should have used the weapons from Uprising Pit didn't. It'd be neat to have the pair-up mechanic from Awakening incorporated in Lucina's moveset somehow, but there's a good reason why she's a clone of Marth, I think.

They really forgot about Hyrule Warriors, didn't they? It sucks because I loved that game. Linkle should have been an alt of Link or an echo. Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf looks insane. HW Link is my favourite design of him. Zelda too. Back in Smash 4 days I was really clamoring for HW Impa because she would have been really unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Can we talk about how Alph was one of the most snubbed Echo Fighter in Ultimate? If not the most. Hardly anyone ever seems to talk about it, and it saddens me as a Pikmin fan.

Alph was literally planned to be a clone in Smash 4, but he got scrapped. He was an obvious shoe-in for an Echo Fighter slot where you swap Purple Pikmin with Rock Pikmin (something else in Smash 4's data), but it just didn't happen.

Isaac, Geno, Shadow, Waluigi, need to all sit down (joking), because Alph was snubbed hardcore.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think wario and gannondorf are the only really egregious ones. Sonic's is really bland but it still plays like the character so it doesn't bother me much, Mario can only have 4 so somthing will always be left out though smash attacks with the hammer would be nice. Luigi could get a command grab with the poltergust and revert his regular one back but he's fine I love how it feels very Luigi rather then a collection of homages since he doesn't have much good material.

That's goes for a lot of characters actually because their smash moveset when cohesive and functioning tend to endear themselves as long as it's not too egregious. I mean when Mario lost his down b for fluud people were pissed even though it was more accurate to his games than the spin, and there are plenty of other characters this could apply to like Ness, fox, or falcon. I think as long as the moveset fits well with the character it doesn't matter if it's entirely accurate to in game appearances which is why some like wario and gannondorf draw far more ire than others.

Trade falcon punch for his blaster though I need that in my life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure what you mean by "Ultimate moveset treatment"... Like, more true to their games? Mario's already pretty realistic to his games, and so is Donkey Kong, when you consider he's repping Donkey Kong Country, and not Arcade Donkey Kong. If this is the definition, though:

1. Luigi made more Mario And Luigi. Thunder instead of green fireball, maybe incorporate some items into his moveset. Grab can stay Poltergust.

2. Dr. Mario changed to be more of a puzzle game rep. Maybe trap based gameplay, laying viruses and shooting correctly colored pills to make big explosions happen, have the pill colors be predictable like Pikmin pulls. His Mario derived moveset is fine, given that he is Mario, and it being slow and clunky fits being a trap character.

3. Ness or Lucas, only one and not the other, needs to be given a moveset that properly reflects their role as a heal/support physical hitter rather than a magic user. Personally I'd rather see this done to Ness because as much as the moveset isn't true to Lucas, I love the way he is.

4. Mega Man needs to be more like his iteration in Marvel vs Capcom. I didn't dislike how he was in 4, but it feels like he was left with a Smash 4 moveset in Ultimate in terms of kill potential and all he can do is annoy people or catch the uninitiated off guard.

5. Robin needs to drop the durability mechanic. It's flat wrong for him to be the only Fire Emblem rep who has a series staple mechanic worked into his moveset and if they wanted to rep that aspect of Fire Emblem every Marth's weapon should break periodically. People new to the series might not think Falchion can break, but boomers like me know it can. Also Levin Sword needs to be a projectile, or have some sort of range to it.

D

Deleted member

Wario, Ganondorf and Sonic are the worst ones IMO. Though Wario/Ganondorf both got something in this game. Wario got a new dash attack (I think?) more like his games and Ganondorf has his sword in his smash attacks. Poor Sonic got nothing.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
5. Robin needs to drop the durability mechanic. It's flat wrong for him to be the only Fire Emblem rep who has a series staple mechanic worked into his moveset and if they wanted to rep that aspect of Fire Emblem every Marth's weapon should break periodically. People new to the series might not think Falchion can break, but boomers like me know it can. Also Levin Sword needs to be a projectile, or have some sort of range to it.
I've played every game Kaga made and the falchion has always had infinite durability. What are you referring to? Besides the ragnell and all fates stuff is indestructable as well so ignoring Roy having robin's stuff break did make sense if that's what he was shooting for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've played every game Kaga made and the falchion has always had infinite durability. What are you referring to? Besides the ragnell and all fates stuff is indestructable as well so ignoring Roy having robin's stuff break did make sense if that's what he was shooting for.
Hm... I could have sworn that the Falchion in Shadow Dragon had durability unless you completed what is essentially a subquest, but looking it up, it seems that I'm wrong. Mandela effect strikes again.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This is a strawman. Nobody's saying taking a risk is the ONLY way to enjoy Smash speculation; we're saying it's one of the primary ways because it is. It is how a sizeable portion of the fanbase participates in the community and it's not invalid just because you think your way is the only objectively sensible way to do so. Your way is just one of several, so is taking a risk and believing a leak that looks credible. To each their own. It's not a matter of facts, this is a matter of pathos, of perspective.
I'm never going to understand why you chose to believe leaks when 9 times out of 10 they're just going to be false, but whatever. Believe whatever you want, don't be upset when it turns out all the stuff you believe in didn't come true.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hm... I could have sworn that the Falchion in Shadow Dragon had durability unless you completed what is essentially a subquest, but looking it up, it seems that I'm wrong. Mandela effect strikes again.
Maybe your thinking of the mercurius, it was also a prf that you got earlier and I'm pretty sure it could break.

P47

Smash Apprentice

• Kirby
  • Ganondorf (slap his current moveset minus the Smash attacks onto Black Shadow)
  • Sonic
  • Little Mac
  • Samus

D

Deleted member

Maybe your thinking of the mercurius, it was also a prf that you got earlier and I'm pretty sure it could break.
Could be. Oh well. I still don't think Robin's stuff should break regardless of how much of a fool I've made of myself in regards to Falchion.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm never going to understand why you chose to believe leaks when 9 times out of 10 they're just going to be false, but whatever. Believe whatever you want, don't be upset when it turns out all the stuff you believe in didn't come true.
People can ultimately believe what they want to believe, except that vaccination is a matter of opinion

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Could be. Oh well. I still don't think Robin's stuff should break regardless of how much of a fool I've made of myself in regards to Falchion.
I mean I don't really care much either way and I always prefer they bend the canon then make a more obtuse design, but if sakurai was going to give it to anyone robin makes the most sense.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I wish Luigi played more like his original N64-self. I liked how his up special had a little arc to it similar to Mario, making recovery a little easier, plus it was kind of easier to cheese people with it. I hardly ever land a successful hit when I have to be practically right on-top of another character's hitbox. Though to be honest I haven't really played Luigi as much in Ultimate as I have in previous titles, so I can't remember if his 'helicopter' recovery is still a thing - I always loved that in the N64 game as well. But yeah...the N64 original was always my favorite iteration of Luigi. I really should give him another chance though.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I forgot to mention it until it got brought up but yeah if sakurai is squeamish about dropping captain dorf from the roster then he could just give the old moveset to black shadow and call it a day. Very few people would mind that.

While i like how ness is just fine I tooled around with the idea of changing up the mother gang to use their spell list instead of stealing Paula's.
Psi Flash could stay the same.

Pk fire could become psi paralysis which comes out the same but has a zss blaster effect rather than a flame pillar.

Pk thunder becomes psi teleport like what mewtwo or palutena have.

Psi magnet becomes psi shield which has all the same properties except it reflects instead of absorbs.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

I would probably say:
1. Sonic
2. Ganondorf
3. Luigi (like you said incorporate more Luigi's Mansion stuff)
4. Captain Falcon (make his Moveset more about him and actually have him use that side arm he carries since I feel like his Moveset could easily be used for a more fitting character)
5. Bowser Jr idk I like the idea of what they tried to do but it just doesn't feel like I'm actually playing as Bowser Jr it feels like I'm playing as clown car which is just...weird

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Too dangerous of a game especially when you're talking about move sets that I've grown with for so long. I even feel that Ganondorf's moveset in Ultimate shouldn't be touched. It's m'wah, beautiful. Even Luigi's tether grab seemed to be a nerf at first and still is in some ways. I like small changes like that though, ones that expand on the character's canon and change small options for the fighter without destroying the moveset they've grown into so well.

D

Deleted member

1) Young Link (Change his moveset to better represent Majora's Mask and whatnot)
2) Donkey Kong (give him some moves actually pulled from the DKC games as well as a few from the DK arcade game)
3) Sonic ( [insert the "2 spins and a spring" copypasta here] seriously though give him some moves actually based off of his games and ones that better represent him)
4) Wario (give him some moves based off of Wario Land and better represent that side of his games as well as Wario ware)
5) Samus (give her an updated moveset based off of other games from her series. Sure you don't have to do much but just update it here and there with some added QoL tweaks and changes)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
We had the Grinch Leak, the 5ch Leak, the Lupin Leak, the EVO Leak, the Crash leak, the MallowCaco Leak, Tracer Leak, Remiu Leak, and the Frogger Leak. Many people believe in those leaks, and they're all turning out false. There is no speculation, it's just "let's believe it." There's just nothing to gain from believing leaks anymore.
When has there ever been something to gain from a leak being right aside from knowing of something before it's been officially announced? Like, did somebody give you cookies for backing the right leaks or rumors back in the day? And the CacoMallow post hasn't been fully or even partially disproven yet. The only thing that's changed since it was first posted is that others have been able to create their own versions of it, which isn't anywhere near a flat-out disconfirmation.
There is no debate when it comes leaks. With so many text leaks all you can really do is just wait and see if it comes true. People will be like "hey this part is right so this 4chan leak is probably true as well," (just like the Frogger leak) and there's nothing you can say that can poke holes or show it's invalid until time passes to show that it's fake. All there really is is hindsight when it comes to these leaks.
Not true. There are plenty of ways to cast doubt on a rumor/leak, you just need to try hard enough, but given your style or argumentation that seems like an near-impossibility for you. The Frogger Post correctly guessed the livestream date, but that's the bare minimum a post like that needs to be considered worthy of discussion. That didn't mean it was real, or that the rest of it was 100% real, it just meant that it was something to keep in mind going forward. Not every 4chan post that gets things right is considered worthy of discussion by us, we're not a gang of LaxChrises who don't look into or question anything and just blindly believe everything we hear.

And since you keep bringing up Piranha Plant and the Grinch Leak, talking about how upset over it you still are in all of your posts, let me be the first to break this very imporant fact to you: Nobody cares, Wynn. Nobody. ****ING. CARES. Nobody gives a flying **** that you were burned by believing in the Grinch Leak, because we ALL bought into the Grinch Leak, we were ALL burned like you were, Wynn. But when the dust settled, and the salt finally stopped flowing, we all dusted ourselves off, learned our lesson, and moved on like reasonable adults. We didn't spend a whole goddamn year seething over it like you did, we moved on and looked ahead.

But I guess you just can't accept that, can you? You can't ****ing stand that we're not as cynical and immediately dismissive as you are, and may actually want to have a nice, constructive dialogue about the current rumors and speculation going around. And if that's the case, I can't really stop you from feeling that way, nor can I help you get over these hangups you have. All I ask is that you **** or get off the pot. Either take the time to objectively analyze and debunk these rumors or stop ****ing talking about it, because I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all sick of your little routine.

>People are discussing a rumor/leak
>You come in with your cynical and typically poorly reasoned/subjective assertions.
>People start to question your arguments and fire back.
>You fold and go "Oh well, I guess I can't convince you guys of anything! Fine, believe what you want to believe, just don't come crying to me when I'm right! LOL!"
>The conversation is dropped for a few days.
>You come back into the discussion like nothing ever happened. Lather, rinse, repeat.
It's old, it's tired, and everyone is sick of it.
So what do Geno fans think about Gordon Freeman? Just curious.
Never played Half-Life, so wouldn't mind him getting in, but I'd much rather see Chell get in since she'd have more to work with for a moveset.

Firox

Smash Master
To be fair, you seem pretty miserable even when you DON'T believe in anything, so what do people have to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom