• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The truth of the matter is that we don't really know the development process for these things, the orders in which they happen, and whether they do smaller things like costumes farther in advance or closer than we think. It's pretty shaky ground to speculate on other than the fact that these costumes may, indeed, be in the works.

The Game Awards really will be interesting this year, although I expect most of it to be a snooze fest like last year rofl. I was just ready to doze off for most of it, namely toting Crash's reveals and Joker in Smash as noteworthy exceptions. That was some hype ****.

Firox

Smash Master
I will gladly mail you my carrot if we get a reveal. If the reveal is Doomslayer I will send you two carrots. If we get both Doomslayer and Geno I will send you 7 carrots each dyed to represent one of the seven stars.
Awww....lucky....:4pacman:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Now lastly, look back to Sm4sh DLC. Fighters were announced in groups, not just solo announcements/releases. So with this new batch of DLC, it does not have to follow the Fighter's Pass style ... it can take a cue or two from Sm4sh.
The reason characters were released in groups during Sm4sh's DLC was because there were limits on how many times they could update the 3DS version of the game, so while they could change their release pattern after the FP is done, I don't see a reason to. Last game might've been a special case.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I do wonder how the Smash team picks their reveal order. I mean, how do they get Cloud who no one thought was actually possible and decide 'Yea, 3rd to last, with a barely known character from a series already well represented after him.'

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The reason characters were released in groups during Sm4sh's DLC was because there were limits on how many times they could update the 3DS version of the game, so while they could change their release pattern after the FP is done, I don't see a reason to. Last game might've been a special case.
Considering they have people HANGING ON THEIR EVERY WORD, CHOMPING AT THE BIT FOR MORE SMASH INFO FOR OVER A YEAR... I'm gonna guess not. I certainly hope we get a double reveal though

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that we're on track to clearing 1700 pages in under a week is mindblowing how fast this thread is moving.

D

Deleted member

That's super weird. Wonder why that was? Could the 3DS only handle a set amount of updates before it caused a crash or something? Or were they worried about storage?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It absolutely could end before February. They might've just said "February 2020" to give themselves a month or two in case something goes wrong and they need more time.
This. What if they double revealed Doom Slayer and Geno at Game Awards and shadow dropped them? That would be incredible.

Realistically, I suspect Doom Slayer would release in January, while Geno would release in March.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Something just doesnt sit right with me about the next reveal being at the VGAs. It feels like the pass is ahead of schedule and could end before february,
This is how i felt about it as well. The Fighter Pass seems to be ahead of schedule due to the fact that on E3 Hero and Banjo were revealed with gameplay footage. Then Terry revealed on the following Nintendo Direct. Now we don't know if Sabi's tweet directly means SMASH. It could very well mean other things. Until Sabi confirms that VGA has to deal with SMASH then maybe a Nintendo Direct is in order or a presentation or something before the VGA. Maybe we looking towards the end of November or Early Dec. Just some thoughts.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If there is a reveal at the VGAs, then I don't really understand why they would reveal a character at the VGAs two years in a row unless Smash Ultimate wins some type of award (which is probably likely).
Last year wasn't originality intended. They decided on it at the last minute with:ultjoker:
Smash is still a huge deal no matter how you slice it, and those characters are big announcements even in something as jam packed as The Game Awards. Keighley will find time for Nintendo to announce a character if they have one ready and this is the biggest confirmed event between now and the February end date (and certainly the biggest even that lines up with a reveal a month out on the final character assuming they come in January close to the Amiibo).

I don’t really get why people are so doubtful of a showing at TGAs...
You also have to remember:ultjoker:reveal was a last minute decision that wasn't planned to be originality revealed.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm really torn on the VGAs... I do agree that if we don't get something by the end of it, Nintendo's going to be a bunch of sadists and make us hold our pee until January. Personally, I'm leaning more on an anniversary presentation like on the 4th or 5th (my 32nd Birthday, please Sakurai!) because I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do a victory lap with this game, getting not only piles of awards but being the best selling fighting game literally ever so if Nintendo wants to honk its goose for half an hour or more, I wouldn't fault them.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Last year wasn't originality intended. They decided on it at the last minute with:ultjoker:
It's possible it'll get a GOTY nomination if they don't ignore December games. Which they shouldn't since they're eligible. I don't think they will in this case. Smash is too big right now.

My predicted GOTY nominees are Devil May Cry 5, Disco Elysium, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice,
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Well, one of those will probably get snubbed since they haven't had more than six nominees before.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I want to really preface this by saying that I have nothing particularly against Lloyd. It might seem that way because I’m frequently ragging on his/Namco’s chances(specifically as #5, not for post-pass), but I have nothing against him as a character and think dual swords could be really neat. Especially if he uses any sort of spinning attacks with them, I quite like those kinds of things.

However, with that all said, I see the prediction of “Lloyd is the most likely candidate for #5” so incredibly often that it legitimately dumbfounds me.

-Fighter #1, the first JRPG rep, introduced Atlus, which had zero Smash representation prior to Ultimate.
-Fighter #2, the second JRPG rep, introduced the Enix side of Square Enix, which had zero Smash representation prior to Ultimate.
-Fighter #3, a platformer rep, signified a huge cross-company partnership that allowed one of the largest requests in the series’ history to break through a bunch of legal barriers and finally make it after nearly two decades.
-Fighter #4, a fighting game rep, introduced SNK, which had zero Smash representation prior to Ultimate.

And, if #5 is Lloyd, then, well, it’d look something like this:

-Fighter #5, the third JRPG rep, was a moderately requested character from the game’s co-developer, and the second character overall from the Namco side of Bandai-Namco.

I just can’t see a timeline where Nintendo sets aside the final character of the pass(which no matter what they say will inevitably be treated as the largest reveal on account of it being the final blind purchase and the one right after “Sakurai’s personal-yet-somewhat-obscure pick”) for a Gamecube-era JRPG rep, the third character specifically from that genre out of a total of five, by the company that is literally co-developing the game with them.

“But wait,” you might say, “Aren’t you being a massive hypocrite here? Most of your points against Lloyd can apply to Geno.”

And to that, well... I absolutely don’t expect Geno as #5 either, but I’m fully on board with the idea that both him and Lloyd are post-pass. My whole point here is that him as #5 just doesn’t add up in my opinion, because for them to suddenly divert from “representing new companies” to basically the exact opposite of that for the final character would be... quite the decision. Post-pass, though, anything can happen, and I fully expect that he(or at least a second Bandai-Namco rep) will be playable sometime next year.

I know I’m rambling here, I just see this so incredibly, incredibly often, especially in this thread, that I wanted to explain my stance further than offhand remarks.

Anyway, getting back on topic, we’re now in day four of the Mii Costume leak not being able to be fully replicated by modders or debunked by insiders, which is an incredibly good sign.
Maybe it's gonna be like the Grinch Leak debunked 6 to 7 days afterwards

D

Deleted member

It's possible it'll get a GOTY nomination if they don't ignore December games. Which they shouldn't since they're eligible. I don't think they will in this case. Smash is too big right now.

My predicted GOTY nominees are Devil May Cry 5, Disco Elysium, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice,
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Well, one of those will get snubbed since they haven't had more than six nominees before.
Do Nintendo games ever get nominated as GOTY? The VGAs always seem biased against Nintendo titles.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I hope we just get some sort of Smash presentation. VGAs bore me to death.

Best case scenario, leak is real, Smash presentation 5th or 6th of December. Doomslayer announced for January. Geno announced for "spring" (March), additional DLC rollout explained.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Monkey's Paw situation: Geno's in Smash but Xander pronounces it "Gee (like in geese)- knew." Not going to lie, I'd probably just kill myself immediately upon hearing it.
When I was a young brainlet lad and first got SMRPG I was calling him “Ginno” with the hard G

Good times

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Maybe it's gonna be like the Grinch Leak debunked 6 to 7 days afterwards
With that, though, the leak itself was something that anyone could have made, and it was bolstered by an insane series of coincidences.

With this, we’re not even on the “anyone could have made it” part, we’re still figuring that out. Any recent updates to the leak(jiggle physics, replay, camera angle) are from people scanning over the original leak and realizing things that make it harder and harder to fake.

Do Nintendo games ever get nominated as GOTY? The VGAs always seem biased against Nintendo titles.
BOTW literally won in 2017.

However, I heavily doubt that Smash will even be nominated, and not because of Nintendo. Fighting games... generally are not prevalent in awards shows, and I don’t expect even something like Smash to change that. I instead personally expect something like Outer Worlds, Fallen Order, or Death Stranding to take it this year.

Smash will probably win best fighting game and potentially “best soundtrack” if they actually count the massive compilation of other games’ tracks, which they might not.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
With that, though, the leak itself was something that anyone could have made, and it was bolstered by an insane series of coincidences.

With this, we’re not even on the “anyone could have made it” part, we’re still figuring that out. Any recent updates to the leak(jiggle physics, replay, camera angle) are from people scanning over the original leak and realizing things that make it harder and harder to fake.

However, I heavily doubt that Smash will even be nominated, and not because of Nintendo. Fighting games... generally are not prevalent in awards shows, and I don’t expect even something like Smash to change that. I instead personally expect something like Outer Worlds, Fallen Order, or Death Stranding to take it this year.
I meant it more as a joke but good points now that you mention them

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Breath of the Wild won in 2017, and I believe Odyssey was nominated. 2018 was kind of a slow year for nintendo games, exempting smash.
Monkey's Paw situation: Geno's in Smash but Xander pronounces it "Gee (like in geese)- knew." Not going to lie, I'd probably just kill myself immediately upon hearing it.
A small price to pay for salvation

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'm really torn on the VGAs... I do agree that if we don't get something by the end of it, Nintendo's going to be a bunch of sadists and make us hold our pee until January. Personally, I'm leaning more on an anniversary presentation like on the 4th or 5th (my 32nd Birthday, please Sakurai!) because I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do a victory lap with this game, getting not only piles of awards but being the best selling fighting game literally ever so if Nintendo wants to honk its goose for half an hour or more, I wouldn't fault them.
You just took the words out of my mouth. But lets get crazy with this...Why not have both?

Nintendo announces a special Smash Direct close to the anniversary of Ultimate. We get a reveal for Fighter 5 to end the pass. Sakurai goes on to tease us with what to expect for the next line of DLC. Then he ends with this "Super Smash Bros Ultimate has recieved a lot of awards and we could not be happier. Also I am happy to announce that Ultimate is a contender for GOTY at this year's Video Game Awards. We hope to see you there and thank you all once again."

THEN we get another reveal at the VGAs.

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
Captain Geen-knew in Smash? I'm down

I like the idea of a 1 year anniversary Smash Direct. Didn't they do something similar to this during Smash 4? I might be misremembering.

D

Deleted member

Smash will probably win best fighting game and potentially “best soundtrack” if they actually count the massive compilation of other games’ tracks, which they might not.
Shows how much I pay attention. I still feel like most of the awards are bought and paid for by the companies as a last shot advertisement for these games.

You just took the words out of my mouth. But lets get crazy with this...Why not have both?

Nintendo announces a special Smash Direct close to the anniversary of Ultimate. We get a reveal for Fighter 5 to end the pass. Sakurai goes on to tease us with what to expect for the next line of DLC. Then he ends with this "Super Smash Bros Ultimate has recieved a lot of awards and we could not be happier. Also I am happy to announce that Ultimate is a contender for GOTY at this year's Video Game Awards. We hope to see you there and thank you all once again."

THEN we get another reveal at the VGAs.
If they do this then I'm extra predicting Geno to be Challenger Pack 5 and Doom Guy to be VGA. If Doom Guy is in the game, there's absolutely no way he isn't being shown at the VGA, to an audience that for the most part probably prefers gritty RIP AND TEAR video games.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
That's how I pronounced it as a kid. So these days the "correct" Jeno pronunciation still sounds weird.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
He could call Geno Joey Jo-Joe Junior Shabadoo for all I can if it means he's playable.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Good lord this thread moves fast heh.

How many of you are planning on replaying SMRPG soon? I’m playing right after I plow through KH3 since I was recently given a copy of that by a friend.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
People who think the two costumes have to come at the same time seriously confuse me. Banjo and Hero were being made simultaneously, am I meant to believe that the Sans costume was only worked on between July 31st and September 4th? No, that's ridiculous. All this does is point to Doomguy and Geno being worked on at the same time.

D

Deleted member

That's how I pronounced it as a kid. So these days the "correct" Jeno pronunciation still sounds weird.
all of you guys somehow screwing up a 4 letter name is kind of making me wonder how I got it right when I was a kid. There's a ton of names and words that I butchered, added letters, or otherwise just screwed up from my childhood, many of which I continued to maim until well into my adult life when someone finally called me out on it.

Grumbo

Smash Ace

How many of you are planning on replaying SMRPG soon? I’m playing right after I plow through KH3 since I was recently given a copy of that by a friend.
I think I’ll try to over christmas break, but by then he may be announced.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
People who think the two costumes have to come at the same time seriously confuse me. Banjo and Hero were being made simultaneously, am I meant to believe that the Sans costume was only worked on between July 31st and September 4th? No, that's ridiculous. All this does is point to Doomguy and Geno being worked on at the same time.
Totally agree. Granted there is so much unknown behind the scenes, but assuming that they HAVE to be released at the same doesn't really fly.

D

Deleted member

I actually started a file on my SNES Mini a few months ago and stopped playing at Booster's Tower. There's no part of the game that's a drag or a hard check for your level like in so many RPGs of the time (and even now), but for whatever reason, I've always hated the Booster's Tower/Marrymore segment. I died an awful lot against that damned cake when I was little, so maybe I just have residual hatred for it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I actually started a file on my SNES Mini a few months ago and stopped playing at Booster's Tower. There's no part of the game that's a drag or a hard check for your level like in so many RPGs of the time (and even now), but for whatever reason, I've always hated the Booster's Tower/Marrymore segment. I died an awful lot against that damned cake when I was little, so maybe I just have residual hatred for it.
I personally remember getting stuck there for a bit too. Didn’t mind it so much since I loved the music that plays there, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom