• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sora appears in World of Final Fantasy as a DLC summon

One of the games main things was summoning Final Fantasy characters to attack. You can say this is the only cameo he's made.
Thank you. This is actually really interesting because I looked on the Wiki for the game after reading your post and... Sora was an LTO (Limited time offer). He WAS DLC but now he isn't for some reason... Maybe we're onto something here...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Champion

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Thank you. This is actually really interesting because I looked on the Wiki for the game after reading your post and... Sora was an LTO (Limited time offer). He WAS DLC but now he isn't for some reason... Maybe we're onto something here...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Champion
Yeah, this could very well point to Sora being hard to license out. The one thing I will say though...if there was one place I could for sure see Disney finally agree to let Sora go, it's Smash. It's kind of a big cameo entity, if not THE cameo entity.

Even so, I doubt it'd be base game. If Sora is in this, it'll be DLC so Disney can make oodles of cash. The only reason you go base game is for publicity, which Kingdom Hearts is in zero need of.

Not only THAT, but Sora doesn't count as an SE rep, not as far as licensing deals go. If Verge is getting his info from people who are aware of what companies Nintendo is negotiating with, which seems like the case since they're unaware of the exact character, then that means we'd be hearing about a DISNEY character in the works, not an SE one.

In my opinion, Sora is not an option. I'd be more inclined to believe in a DQ rep before Sora, and even then, it still pales in comparison to Geno's chances.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this could very well point to Sora being hard to license out. The one thing I will say though...if there was one place I could for sure see Disney finally agree to let Sora go, it's Smash. It's kind of a big cameo entity, if not THE cameo entity.

Even so, I doubt it'd be base game. If Sora is in this, it'll be DLC so Disney can make oodles of cash. The only reason you go base game is for publicity, which Kingdom Hearts is in zero need of.

Not only THAT, but Sora doesn't count as an SE rep, not as far as licensing deals go. If Verge is getting his info from people who are aware of what companies Nintendo is negotiating with, which seems like the case since they're unaware of the exact character, then that means we'd be hearing about a DISNEY character in the works, not an SE one.

In my opinion, Sora is not an option. I'd be more inclined to believe in a DQ rep before Sora, and even then, it still pales in comparison to Geno's chances.
That's actually a good point. I imagine how the SE character info got out without them knowing exactly who is because of some licensing work happening. and if it was Sorry it would definitely be Disney they have to work with. Disney wants Nomura's blessing as has been stated before but the real legal work would have been done by Disney.

Also FYI guys Nintendo actually has always owned K. Rool. with cross over work it really just depends on how they write up the license. and it's not really split ownership. Disney 100% owns sora, nintendo 100% owns K. Rool. and Square 100% owns Geno.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Even if Isaac isn't high on your personal list, I recommend being supportive towards that fanbase because, except for Geno being older and Sakurai mentioning him specifically, their situation and Smash timeline as a fanbase is almost identical to ours.
Brb, doing just that.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman

If you take a look at Sora's trailer for WoFF, you can clearly see the Disney copyright watermark.

I am of the opinion that Sora does not count as a Square Enix rep. He is Disney. If anything that spot will go to Geno, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Bravely Default.

With that said, the best shot for Sora is through DLC. I'm not sure why a lot of people are saying after Geno, Sora is the next likely SE rep.

Additionally note that the English version doesn't have Haley Joel Osment voicing Sora while Miyu Irino actually voices him in the JPN version. Maybe something related to that could have contributed to Sora being pulled.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you take a look at Sora's trailer for WoFF, you can clearly see the Disney copyright watermark.

I am of the opinion that Sora does not count as a Square Enix rep. He is Disney. If anything that spot will go to Geno, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Bravely Default.
Video evidence as proof (look at the bottom right corner):

Well I'll be...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know how in Super Mario RPG, characters fall over when they hit 0 HP/are hit with an instakill move and fail to block? What if that happened when Geno tripped, or he hit 0 HP in Stamina mode?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Video evidence as proof (look at the bottom right corner):

Well I'll be...
My big question is do Sora fans know this? It seems like they are all under the impression he is 100% Square, which clearly isn’t the case if this is true, which I don’t know why it wouldn’t be.

D

Deleted member

So Sora and Minecraft Steve along with Ken and Incineroar? I'd be okay with it Ken was an ech fighter before being an echo fighter was cool. Yes lame joke I know still keeping it heh. Incineroar I want in. Steve ho boy there was a guy a long time ago on Miiverse before it shut down who wanted him. If he gets in I say sorry for ever doubting him. And he's probably laughing his backside somewhere about how ironic this all is. All the best to him fate seems to have a funny way of giving you the unexpected. Heh. I would be okay with Sora adore Kingdom Hearts would not mind.

I still believe in Geno though want him more.

We'l see Sakurai will put all this speculation to rest soon enough. Till then interesting bits of info hope Geno is the Sqaure Enix rep. But if it's Sora geez I ain't going to complain.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
My big question is do Sora fans know this? It seems like they are all under the impression he is 100% Square, which clearly isn’t the case if this is true, which I don’t know why it wouldn’t be.
Copyright isn't a clear subject for the majority of casual fans, so a fair few of them might not know. It doesn't help that Sora and the other original characters from KH look VERY Square-esque, and that Square Enix is so heavily involved in the development. It's no wonder people aren't getting it.

I mean, there are still people who think K. Rool is Rare's. And some who think Geno is Nintendo's. Most people likely wouldn't know any of this copyright stuff or need to if it weren't for Smash.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Personally, I wouldn't sleep on a Dragon Quest XI character. I'm speaking a bit out of my ass here since I barely know anything about this series but from what I can tell, DQ has never been localized outside of Japan (at least for the mainline titles). It looks like that's changing with DQXI and considering that Dragon Quest is one of the most successful video game franchises of all time with just Japan, giving a character from the game exposure through Smash could go a long way with bringing DQ to the West (ala Fire Emblem).

And thinking on it, it makes more sense for a DQ character to be base roster because neither Western casuals nor hardcore Smash fans are going to care about a DQ character as a DLC. If you want this exposure to work as a sound advertising strategy, you have to give them to everyone and that means base roster. Geno, on the other hand, makes more sense for DLC since hardcore fans are going to shell out to get him. Sora would also make sense for DLC if it coincides with a Switch release of KH3. Disney already said they'd play ball and Square appears to already be playing ball; I don't think Sora is as impossible as people are suggesting. It literally just depends on whether or not Sakurai is comfortable with putting "Disney" in the credits. Because even if he excludes all references to Disney in Sora's moveset and design, he'd still have to put Disney in the credits.

Just a bit of devil's advocate.

With that said, time to completely contradict myself! I'm still thinking it's Geno for the base roster and that he is the Square character because it makes more sense that Sakurai would want to hide him. Any other Square character being this protected from leaking doesn't make as much sense to me. Add to that Sakurai's interview back in 2016 when he would have already known whether or not Geno would be playable in Ultimate and I don't think he would have spoken so frankly about wanting him in the game if he wasn't actually in the game. And, this Dragon Quest localization stuff is still a work in progress which means that it doesn't line up with when the roster was finalized. I just wanted to air out the reasons for why it makes sense from a business perspective to include a DQ rep.

Last edited:

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Why are people talking more about Sora, all of a sudden? Did I miss out on some vital info in the past 24 hours?
The co-creator of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, Shinji Hashimoto has responded to a fan tweet about Sora for Smash. The fan replied to a tweet Hashimoto made about KH3 at TGS.

Exchange was this:

fan: "please Hashimoto San?" In Japanese with a fan made splash card and #sora4smash

Hashimoto: "Yes!"

The tweet has been deleted, but a lot of people have blown it out of proportion.

I am a Sora supporter, but this doesn't really mean anything except expressed interest from the co-creator.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd actually love Steve.

But, I wouldn't really care if he didn't get in...maybe...

Is MasterOfHyrule credible? I saw the Battlefield leak, but anything else?

Sora & Geno could make everyone happy.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I'd actually love Steve.

But, I wouldn't really care if he didn't get in...maybe...

Is MasterOfHyrule credible? I saw the Battlefield leak, but anything else?

Sora & Geno could make everyone happy.
MasterofHyrule has worked with Verge and both agreed that there will two SE reps.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
He, Vergeben, and MasterofHyrule agreed that there will be 2 SE reps. Hyrule claims that one of the two is Sora and the other is Geno..

Hyrule is known for leaking Ultimate stages, most notably Battlefield.

View attachment 166140
Interesting. I wonder why Sora is "coming" but Geno "has a high chance" of getting in. The inconsistencies make me skeptical, but if that is true, that is awesome.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He, Vergeben, and MasterofHyrule agreed that there will be 2 SE reps. Hyrule claims that one of the two is Sora and the other is Geno..

Hyrule is known for leaking Ultimate stages, most notably Battlefield.

View attachment 166140
If I learned anything from Pokemon, it's that you can fail with a high chance when it counts.

Does "Geno has a high chance of getting in" mean he's not in the base game but considered for DLC?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
John, Vergeben, and other Leakers confirmed that there will be TWO SE REPS.
Where is Vergeben agreeing with that? I follow the websites where he posts and he hasn't said anything else about a second new SE character, just one

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was about to ask that too.

Verg hasn't said anything about 2 SE reps

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 8.19.07 PM.png

Neither on gamefaqs or reddit he has said anything about there being 2 new SE newcomers. He has only mentioned one and he hasn't said anything new about it recently. Whoever saying Vergeben is agreeing with it, is making it up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard this "Master of Hyrule" doesn't have a great track record, so it might not be the best idea to believe him

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Oof, I realize that it is only MasterofHyrule claiming that he saw two SE reps making it to Smash. I was overreacting because of the Smash Leak thread. Sorry...

But what I know, MoH is rather creditable. He leaked Ultimate Battlefield, and claims that a Minecraft rep, Ken, and other characters making it to Smash.

Still, take it with a grain of salt.

Sorry, I am a little too hype of that and did not look at the details...

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Wake me up when Vergeben says something more definitive. He is THE leaker for the Ultimate hype cycle, nobody else can be trusted at this point until proven otherwise.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Sora and Geno would be the best case scenario. We get a popular SE character and a popular smash character

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
It makes sense of why Vergeben is so unsure and frightened about the SE rep.

Geno and Sora were both highly requested SE characters and because of that, he is probably fightened that if they were announced by Verge, many people will probably be pointing him being fake.

That is my speculation though...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
you know what if both sora in geno is in

thats probably why vergeben can't figure out who

some sources found geno but some other found sora its a debate thats probably why they can't agree

ask vergeben and see if they find a second SE rep

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
So i have been gone all day on road trip(which really was just me driving several hours into a different state and then turning around....i needed a break from things to gather my thoughts) so...what did i miss? Any new leaks? Screenshots?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
you know what if both sora in geno is in

thats probably why vergeben can't figure out who

some sources found geno but some other found sora its a debate thats probably why they can't agree

ask vergeben and see if they find a second SE rep
I feel like that's how it's going to go down. We'll probably get one for the base roster and one for DLC so that way, a lot of people are satisfied.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
So i have been gone all day on road trip(which really was just me driving several hours into a different state and then turning around....i needed a break from things to gather my thoughts) so...what did i miss? Any new leaks? Screenshots?
From what I've seen, nothing much. Discussion about there being two SE reps, that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom