• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Turns out these 7/11 don't correlate 1 to 1 with actual release dates of Smash characters actually. According to this tweet, Joker's ad was taken down 10 days before he was shadowdropped. There's a chance he'll show up next week still.

https://twitter.com/gus_epic/status/1190818176776445952

EDIT: I haven't looked too deeply into this subject though, so feel free to correct me on this if I missed anything

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Turns out these 7/11 don't correlate 1 to 1 with actual release dates of Smash characters actually. According to this tweet, Joker's ad was taken down 10 days before he was shadowdropped. There's a chance he'll show up next week still.

https://twitter.com/gus_epic/status/1190818176776445952

EDIT: I haven't looked too deeply into this subject though, so feel free to correct me on this if I missed anything
hmmm interesting

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No offense, Eric, but personally, I don't see stuff like "best narrative of 2017" by companies like IGN as really mattering because, let's be real here, any game can get that. I'm not saying that game awards don't matter but companies like give those types of quotes to just about anything if they're paid enough. That's just me personally.
That's an absurdly cynical way to look upon game awards and how people dole them out. The game got tons of praise across the board with a high 88 meta score and tons of nominations across lots of mainstream gaming websites. I point them out for two distinct reasons. First, to challenge the notion that Nier Automata is somehow unknown as a title or otherwise not something you would have come in contact with prior, it's something you absolutely have come in contact with if you casually read "Game of the Year Awards" in 2017. Second, I point it out to show that it helps further define the modern action RPG genre through that praise. It's one notch in pointing out the success and reach in Nier Automata's overall life cycle. Glowing reviews, game of the year nominations, praise directly from Sakurai, etc. It's a huge success story out of unlikely circumstances that has become Platinum Games' best selling title of all time. I don't want people downplaying it like they ended up downplaying Dragon Quest for months. Obviously, Nier Automata is significantly smaller than Dragon Quest of all things, but Nier Automata has been kind of a big title this generation.

And also, sometimes people just genuinely like games and want to give them praise and not everything is some "conspiracy" of gaming outlets being paid to give specific titles awards. Plenty of them are conducted independently because people are interested in seeing "the best of the year" type things and I'm unaware of any that have been specifically caught giving them out in exchange for monetary compensation. I mean, any title can technically be someone's "Game of the Year." The new Bubsy could be somebody's game of the year for all we know... but it becomes more impressive when it happens across multiple reviewing entities and specifically individuals highlighting the title.

D

Deleted member

Feels like this board has a problem with 2B being more likely than Geno. 2B does seem likely at some point and it's funny how people really want downplay NieR Automata success or her popularity by saying there's more popular characters to put in. News flash, we got Joker who wasn't really thought had a chance in Hell, Hero from Dragon Quest who's series was extremely niche in America, and Terry Bogard, a character that nobody ever thought was happening.

Honestly, just about any character is likely at this point. Thinking Geno is more likely due to his demand is just fooling yourself. (do I need to make a list of all the most popular demanded character that lost out to a certain flora?) Literally anything can happen, expect for Spirits being upgraded in the Fighters Pass.
Well, we all better hope that Sakurai finally prioritizes Geno instead of 2B. I think it’s possible we could possibly get both but unlikely. Sakurai added Dragon Quest, a series Sakurai is huge fan of and probably wanted the series to be in Smash for a long time. The series has a legacy known as the Grandfather of JRPGS, the biggest franchise in Japan, and a cultural phenomenon so hopefully it’s Geno’s time. Nintendo and Sakurai put Banjo over Minecraft, the best selling and one of the most influential games of all time and also a game Sakurai is fan of so there is a fair chance that Sakurai listens to the fans once more instead of his own personal bias.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On 2B, I don't feel she's more or less likely than Geno atm. It's a matter of how and if they want to appeal to the Smash fans in this batch a la B-K. If they do so, Geno is an obvious top contender, but if not, who knows?

D

Deleted member

On 2B, I don't feel she's more or less likely than Geno atm. It's a matter of how and if they want to appeal to the Smash fans in this batch a la B-K. If they do so, Geno is an obvious top contender, but if not, who knows?
Yeah, 2B is more of a character to get the attention of people who don’t have a copy of Smash Ultimate and a Switch while Geno is in the same boat as Banjo for hardcore Smash fans. I feel they would give a hardcore pick every once in a while to give a bone.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Geno would be a nice addition, a unique fighter of a wooden doll character. Notice they haven’t shown his costume yet like they did in the previous Smash game. It seems like an indication; he has a high percentage chance of making it in. I’m wondering if behind the scene, Nintendo made a deal with Square to put both Hero and Geno in because Square wants Dragon Quest to be more popular in the western countries and Sakurai likes Geno as a potential fighter but is keeping him for the next DLC wave.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I don't have much to say about 2B, but I'm on the same boat as Ovaltine Ovaltine here. I get the points made on her favor and all, but if she were to be added, it'd be for completely different reasons than Geno so there's not much competition between the two the way I see see it

Ovaltine

Smash Master
By the way, our impossible meme pick is Goku, right? Japan's impossible meme pick is a Gundam, riiiiiight?

Hero is sword Goku, and conversely, Geno will be puppet Gundam.

I solved the puzzle. :4pacman:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
By the way, our impossible meme pick is Goku, right? Japan's impossible meme pick is a Gundam, riiiiiight?

Hero is sword Goku, and conversely, Geno will be puppet Gundam.

I solved the puzzle. :4pacman:
To add to what you said, who's our second impossible meme pick again? Shrek, right?

King K. Rool is crocodile Shrek.

We've had two of our memes in the spotlight, so it's Japan's turn now. :4pacman:

that sounded funnier in my head...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meh. success alone isn't enough to get a character in. Sakurai has more factors to consider when choosing characters.
Also forgot to mention Sakurai loves Nier Automata which at least gives the possibility to some people.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also forgot to mention Sakurai loves Nier Automata which at least gives the possibility to some people.
Meh. Still not enough. It's not like Sakurai would not override his wanting such a character over another, especially based on a few factors alone for the former character, right?

D

Deleted member

Meh. Still not enough. It's not like Sakurai would not override his wanting such a character over another, especially based on a few factors alone for the former character, right?
Yeah, since we got Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest which Sakurai is a fan of and acknowledges the legacy, hopefully it’s Geno’s time to shine for the fans instead of having a character out of Sakurai’s bias.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, since we got Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest which Sakurai is a fan of and acknowledges the legacy, hopefully it’s Geno’s time to shine for the fans instead of having a character out of Sakurai’s bias.
Sakurai was, and still is a fan of Geno, right? I mean, why would he want to leave him out?

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
It’s strange not having his Mii costume and not having him playable yet at the same time. I am sure there are plans for him unless something comes up and who knows what that could be; your guess is about as good as mine.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai was, and still is a fan of Geno, right? I mean, why would he want to leave him out?
With especially Square Enix having two franchises they love dear out of the way, there is no reason he would want to leave him out except going after a character he honestly have much more bias too. The missing Mii costume may potentially be a sign of playable Geno. Thank god Geno is still in the running because of extra DLC. If Nintendo and Sakurai were not pleased with the profits, they probably won’t make much more DLC and leave Geno’s costume with Hero if he wasn’t playable.

I wonder if Dragon Quest was really planned to be in the base roster and they added Geno and Mallow spirits as a “this would do for now”.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
To be fair, on my end, I just meant that I don't personally take that into account when discussing or talking about characters or games because, as I said, any game could get that title. I am not discrediting Nier: Automata's popularity by saying that. However, I am saying that unless I've played it myself or I have a friend who would recommend it, I don't take those into account at all. My bad, Eric.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hate to disagree (not really though) but 2B is not nearly in the same position as Geno.

If you think that, you are ignoring other character status as well as facts and trends that exist both within and outside of Smash.

It may seem mean, but frankly, not EVERY single character has a chance in Smash, and 2B is one of those that is way back in line.

However, my gut says Fighter #5 could be Lloyd Irving.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I greatly enjoyed Nier Automata, and would be okay seeing 2B in Smash. The problem, objectively, is she's just another anime swordsman. What may set her apart is she is an anime waifu swordswoman. Maybe that's enough of a difference.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Geno would fit in nicely with the Smash 64 lore of toys coming to life, wether it be by a child’s imagination or via possession by an extraterrestrial star warrior.
Now that I think about it in that context, he really does possess his physical form in SMRPG in a similar fashion to how a spirit takes control of a puppet fighter in Ultimate.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Ummm.... have you not been paying attention to all the characters that have been coming out? Sakurai's bias has been playing a big factor.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Hate to disagree (not really though) but 2B is not nearly in the same position as Geno.

If you think that, you are ignoring other character status as well as facts and trends that exist both within and outside of Smash.

It may seem mean, but frankly, not EVERY single character has a chance in Smash, and 2B is one of those that is way back in line.

However, my gut says Fighter #5 could be Lloyd Irving.
Just a year ago if someone asked if Joker or Terry had a chance in making it into Smash Bros people would say they never going to make it in, and yet there they are.

Well, Sakurai probably still has bias for Geno.
That was probably just talk because he knows there's demand for him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just a year ago if someone asked if Joker or Terry had a chance in making it into Smash Bros people would say they never going to make it in, and yet there they are.
Don't be pessimistic. I don't think those have anything to do with Geno's chances, anyway. I mean, Geno is from a company that is different from where those two come from, and Sakurai has considered Geno for a long time before either of those two.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Ya because wanting saying he wanted geno since brawl and liking a fan made geno toy was just because of fan demand. If he was not requested he would not have said or done any of those things.

images copy 3.jpg

D

Deleted member

And why specifically Geno? If he was going to talk just because there was demand for a character why not Isaac, Dixie Kong, Banjo-Kazooie (before he got in), Sora, Bandanna Dee, Etc. Etc.

It would be unnecessary to do that when there's so many other characters he could talk about yet he hasn't maybe just maybe he does actually want Geno but Nintendo decided to go for a Dragon Quest character and he didn't oblige cause he also likes Dragon Quest while wanting Geno idk just a thought.

Edit: Whoops accidentally deleted a word, Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
:Sees the same sort of downer discussion of Geno's chances just like there was back in May when I was active:

Some things just never change huh.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
“Yes, I’m going to lie about wanting Geno since Brawl to raise fans’ hopes and get good PR, instead of being honest with people like I have been and pleasing as many people as I can while still finding freedom as an artist and having good PR anyway!”

This ain’t it, Chief.

Ya because wanting saying he wanted geno since brawl and liking a fan made geno toy was just because of fan demand. If he was not requested he would not have said or done any of those things.

View attachment 244651
Forgot he liked a post with Geno. Yes, he clearly likes him.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Don't be pessimistic. I don't think those have anything to do with Geno's chances, anyway. I mean, Geno is from a company that is different from where those two come from, and Sakurai has considered Geno for a long time before either of those two.
That wasn't a comment towards Geno's chances, more like we're getting characters that are unexpected so saying that characters like 2B doesn't have a chance is just ignore all the stuff that has been happening.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
:Sees the same sort of downer discussion of Geno's chances just like there was back in May when I was active:

Some things just never change huh.
Unfortunately, some people like to repeatedly beat already dead horses in here.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That wasn't a comment towards Geno's chances, more like we're getting characters that are unexpected so saying that characters like 2B doesn't have a chance is just ignore all the stuff that has been happening.
Boi, if anything, I think if you DO want Geno in Ultimate, you've gotta not pay attention to the other may-be logical possibilities that could happen and just focus on Geno's chances, and hope that he does get in, no matter what. There is no need to be pessimistic. Just because other things could happen doesn't mean they will. Others are saying Geno's chances are looking good as of late. If you are a fan of Geno, don't worry about everything else and just root for our boy. No need to think otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but that was for the initial Fighters Pass we don't know how he's choosing DLC this time around he could be focusing more on fan requests, he might be doing more of the same or he might be doing a little bit of both. Things can change.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
And why specifically Geno? If he was going to talk just because there was demand for a character why not Isaac, Dixie Kong, Banjo-Kazooie (before he got in), Sora, Bandanna Dee, Etc. Etc.

It would be unnecessary to do that when there's so many other characters he could talk about yet he hasn't maybe just maybe he does actually want Geno but Nintendo decided to go for a Dragon Quest character and he didn't oblige cause he also likes Dragon Quest while wanting Geno idk just a thought.

Edit: Whoops accidentally deleted a word, Fixed.
Well Sakurai did say he doesn't like to talk about why certain characters don't make it into Smash Bros so he avoids those as much as possible. Though for Geno comment most likely had to do with see there was demand while they were negotiating for Cloud's inclusion and just decided to throw in a Geno Mii Costume just please those fans. If Sakurai really wanted to include Geno then wouldn't have passed him up 5 times. Also Sakurai was the one to go for Dragon Quest rep, he wasn't shackled by Nintendo and force to give up on Geno, that was a choice he made.
“Yes, I’m going to lie about wanting Geno since Brawl to raise fans’ hopes and get good PR, instead of being honest with people like I have been and pleasing as many people as I can while still finding freedom as an artist and having good PR anyway!”

This ain’t it, Chief.
Yeah, because Sakurai saying that he absolutely not wanting a character to be included in a crossover fighter would totally go well. No, there's no way Sakurai is ever going to say that he doesn't want a particular video game character since that would piss off so many fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom