• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
“Negotiations haven’t started”
“These things come out a little about or a year and a half before.”

Gotta be fake then, Season 2 wasn’t decided until they saw the first pass was selling well if I recall correctly.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
“Negotiations haven’t started”
“These things come out a little about or a year and a half before.”

Gotta be fake then, Season 2 wasn’t decided until they saw the first pass was selling well if I recall correctly.
If that last comment is true then we won't be seeing anything past the fighter pass until like September of next year at the earliest. They had plans for this before, they just didn't tell us yet. It takes around a year to develop a character, even longer when you include negotiations for 3rd parties. (They actually said that in an interview a few years back) There's nothing said about WHY they decided to do Season 2 either. Unless you have some kinda source to prove that?

Also, unrelated, but I'm like halfway done with a Geno moveset.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If that last comment is true then we won't be seeing anything past the fighter pass until like September of next year at the earliest. They had plans for this before, they just didn't tell us yet. It takes around a year to develop a character, even longer when you include negotiations for 3rd parties. (They actually said that in an interview a few years back) There's nothing said about WHY they decided to do Season 2 either. Unless you have some kinda source to prove that?

Also, unrelated, but I'm like halfway done with a Geno moveset.
Oh, I just thought that was what was said.

Though maybe I just assumed that or saw some other people assuming that and somehow my mind started thinking it was true, idk.

Sakurai did say he doesn’t work on DLC until the base game is pretty much finished or something, though, so I assume they would’ve started Season 2 negotiations earlier this year, then, and I don’t see how a person would have a bunch of info about the characters like that from last year even before negotiations start.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Oh, I just thought that was what was said.

Though maybe I just assumed that or saw some other people assuming that and somehow my mind started thinking it was true, idk.

Sakurai did say he doesn’t work on DLC until the base game is pretty much finished or something, though, so I assume they would’ve started Season 2 negotiations earlier this year, then, and I don’t see how a person would have a bunch of info about the characters like that from last year even before negotiations start.
Yeah that was probably just an assumption or something. They only said that there's going to be more, and not really anything else.

The comment about not working on DLC until after the base game is done is kind of misconstrued, I think. It's basically meant to say, "we're not going to sell you content that was finished before the game came out" more than anything, I think. With the timeline of how development works, there's no way it could be true. Otherwise Joker wouldn't even be out yet.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah that was probably just an assumption or something. They only said that there's going to be more, and not really anything else.

The comment about not working on DLC until after the base game is done is kind of misconstrued, I think. It's basically meant to say, "we're not going to sell you content that was finished before the game came out" more than anything, I think. With the timeline of how development works, there's no way it could be true. Otherwise Joker wouldn't even be out yet.
I guess so.

Based on how insiders and others have acted, though, I’m guessing Season 2 negotiations would’ve started late last year at the earliest, since it seems nobody knew a thing about the “more DLC” announcement. They could possibly take less than a full year of development by using other fighters as a base, which it seems is what they’ve done.

There was also the rumor that Banjo was negotiated for in April last year, and some stuff that came out has made it look like Hero was originally meant for base-game (I think, I just remember people coming to that conclusion based on stuff Sakurai and/or a DQ dev or someone said), so...idk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y'all, just wanted to check back in with the thread since it's been a year since I joined the site.

Pretty busy nowadays so I'll probably still be away from the site, but I'm still hoping for Geno and something like an SMRPG remake or sequel.

The thread is so long now lol...

D

Deleted member

Hey y'all, just wanted to check back in with the thread since it's been a year since I joined the site.

Pretty busy nowadays so I'll probably still be away from the site, but I'm still hoping for Geno and something like an SMRPG remake or sequel.

Ayyy Welcome back dude! Glad to see you're doing well. With additional DLC and no Geno costume in sight we're in a pretty good spot I'd say since I doubt they'd simple forget us like that when we have Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie!

Let's hope we're getting our due but I'm really glad to see you're doing fine.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Hey, dude! I wouldn't worry, honestly. I think Geno's chances are better than they've ever been. I know you feared he'd be unlikely after the first pass, but I honestly believe his chances have catapulted for additional DLC. :)

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Nah, we knew about him since, what, August-ish? Then we got him in November. That's four months. We started hearing about Hero in November, maybe December, and we got them in June. That's a good 7-8 months in advance.
I was more so referring to the fact that he got leaked through Vergeben, the box, and the picture leak. That’s three times, and one of them was physical evidence and not just text.

D

Deleted member

Well, today it is the one year anniversary of me joining Smashboards.

I made a huge post at the Ultimate Social thread on which I celebrated all the people who helped me get where I am today, including Ovaltine Ovaltine and KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465

D

Deleted member

This was the post for anyone interested:

Well, here we are: October 14th of 2019 (at least in my island).
Today it has been 1 year since I first joined this site... and what a ride it has been.

When I first joined, I had low expectations about my future on the site. Back then life was not going fine at all, and even though I tried my best to bring the best of me as I tend to do everywhere... my first months did go out in a shaky way. However, as I was keeping posting all around the site, I have made connections with all kinds of people. For many cases I had to work all the way to gain their support, others gave me support since the start and in some cases my support towards certain people made them support me back as a way of appreciation for my actions.

Seeing at least the one year posts of other users, it seems they tend to remember mostly the bad stuff and honestly, I can imagine why. No place on the internet is perfect, and it is normal to find ourselves on many kinds of problems from time to time.
However, I’m not a liar. And with all honesty I have to make one thing clear about anything else: I owe the people on this site and a lot of the stuff that came from here almost all my life.
If it wasn’t for many of the people here, their choice of giving more chances even during my darkest times and the people who I dare to call friends... I probably wouldn’t be here writing with all of you.

And today, to celebrate not just the 1st anniversary of my time on the site but also the people who helped me make 2019 the best year of my entire life... I’m gonna try my best to write down all the people I met on the site alongside what they did to help me get where I am today.

Sit down, because this will likely take a good time to read:

Some personal background music of my choice if you want to:

> @osby for literally supporting me ever since I joined the site. Not only did he help me evolve as an user during his period as a mod and celebrated alongside me all my successes both online and IRL, but he may have also been the first user to ever give any of my posts a like.

> @Noipoi for making me see that there are people of my exact age all around the world who also deal with problems close to the ones I tend to deal with. Alongside being an awesome artist, his attitude also pushes me to never give up, with the hopes of finding ourselves equally on a good state in the near future.

> @staindgrey for being someone who also stood for me deeply during the darkest months of my life alongside other people I’ll talk about later. His experiences with his brother who also suffers from anxiety always pushed me to keep moving forward and make progress each day.

> @Dyllybirdy for inspiring me to enjoy each second of my life as much as I can, and motivating me to always try to look for motivation even at the darkest hours.

> @PolarPanda for bringing me some support sometime after I joined, and giving me help and a new home at Discord through their server over there. My life at Discord wouldn’t be as nice if it wasn’t for the support you gave me and the way you pushed for me when I joined.

> @SnakeFighter64 for inspiring me to always share my ideas, no matter how crazy I may find them at first. She also inspired me to keep my mind as creative as possible, and always push for many kinds of tales or characters I could create.

> @Guh-Huzzah! and @Taylor F for making me not give up on my dream of being a voice actor in the future, and also bringing me support alongside Grey through private messages.

> @papagenos for welcoming me on his community with the hands opened, pushing my UA3 theory on the internet through one of his videos and always having a really positive attitude towards anything regarding Smash speculation

> @NomadLuminary , @Teeb147 , @ryumo the Zekenator and @Bolderousness for helping me support the addition of DQ in Smash even against all the possible odds we found upon us on the internet. People who also helped me through PMs alongside Grey, Huzzah! and Taylor.

> @Smashing Ramen for inspiring me to appreciate the idea of people having many kinds of different interests through their support for Corrin, Rythm Heaven and Steve. I wouldn’t be so open to these franchises if it wasn’t for him.

> @Cutie Gwen for giving emotional support when my great aunt died, and helping me understand more about buying stuff online and not give up on the idea of many kinds of games releasing outside of Japan.

> @Megadoomer for being one of the mods who tried to support me a lot during my darkest month of my life (February).

> @AndreaAC , @Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik and @Tako Tuesday for being such awesome artists, and always blessing the social thread with wonderful works of art at really needed times.

> @Michael the Spikester for helping me prevent the site from spoiling me Godzilla:King Of The Monsters after the movie got delayed in Spain.

> @Gentlepanda for bringing a lot of smiles to the users with his posts, and remembering me a lot during this year’s E3.

> Ovaltine Ovaltine for being such a wonderful artist, helping me fit into the Geno server and also giving me emotional support when I needed it most.

> KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 for helping me fit into most of the character support threads around the site, sharing my love for some games and giving me help with my posts and problems shared in my status posts.

> @TheZoologist for welcoming me with the hands opened to the Banjo support thread, and motivating people there to give me a chance.

> @GothFluttershy for helping me learn about the responsabilities of taking care of someone and fight for their security. My experience with him could be compared to the way Tony Stark serves as a mentor for Peter Parker in the MCU basically

> @Haruka Ishijima for inspiring me to love videogames no matter the age I have. I do really want to enjoy video games as much as you in the future, hopefully alongside my possible family.

To all this people and many more… thank you. Thank you for helping me make 2019 the best year of my entire life. I deeply hope that great things happen to ya’ll.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I kinda doubt they’d make Rex playable when they showed off his Mii costume literally at the start at DLC. Like, what’s the point?
Because Smash Bros Fighters Pass was made up without knowing if they were going to make more DLC or not and Rex was revealed late in development so all they could really do was make a Mii Costume.

Rex & Pyra are definitely not going to be the Fifth Fighter but they have to be in the next wave of DLC, because that Mii Costume they gave sucks and Sakurai should know that nobody going to feel like they're playing as Rex with that crap and wouldn't make any of the fans happy that they can play as Bootleg Rex. The only Mii Costume that's legitimately good is Sans because it's basically 1 to 1 with the actual character.

D

Deleted member

Dang it's been a busy thread. That 5ch leak sure is a best case scenario sort of deal. It's the kind of thing you want to believe in, even though it's just text.

Because Smash Bros Fighters Pass was made up without knowing if they were going to make more DLC or not and Rex was revealed late in development so all they could really do was make a Mii Costume.

Rex & Pyra are definitely not going to be the Fifth Fighter but they have to be in the next wave of DLC, because that Mii Costume they gave sucks and Sakurai should know that nobody going to feel like they're playing as Rex with that crap and wouldn't make any of the fans happy that they can play as Bootleg Rex. The only Mii Costume that's legitimately good is Sans because it's basically 1 to 1 with the actual character.
Honestly? There is absolutely no way any company, not even "Bad Ideas" Nintendo, would not have planned more than 5 DLC fighters for a game as big as Smash, and just arbitrarily decided that now, near the end of that DLC wave's development, they should go for more. The timing of the announcement is purely a carefully planned advertising move, there's a chance that literally every DLC fighter we could potentially get was already chosen before the day the game came out. I mean, really, can we take anything they say about this game for real anymore? We've gone from "I hope you're not expecting too many new fighters" to "as long as I can make the fans happy I'm going to keep adding characters".

I also really have my doubts about Rex. Who knows, maybe a lot of characters currently in the game in some form or another, be it Mii Costume, Spirit or Assist Trophy, could be planned for DLC and are just in there as a "good enough for now" measure.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Dang it's been a busy thread. That 5ch leak sure is a best case scenario sort of deal. It's the kind of thing you want to believe in, even though it's just text.

Honestly? There is absolutely no way any company, not even "Bad Ideas" Nintendo, would not have planned more than 5 DLC fighters for a game as big as Smash, and just arbitrarily decided that now, near the end of that DLC wave's development, they should go for more. The timing of the announcement is purely a carefully planned advertising move, there's a chance that literally every DLC fighter we could potentially get was already chosen before the day the game came out. I mean, really, can we take anything they say about this game for real anymore? We've gone from "I hope you're not expecting too many new fighters" to "as long as I can make the fans happy I'm going to keep adding characters".

I also really have my doubts about Rex. Who knows, maybe a lot of characters currently in the game in some form or another, be it Mii Costume, Spirit or Assist Trophy, could be planned for DLC and are just in there as a "good enough for now" measure.
Yeah, I think wave 2 has definitely been planned for longer than we suspect. There’s not really any hard evidence but -
1. Nintendo is a company that likes money
2. The reveal stated “now in development” and not “now in planning” or “now confirmed”. It may just be a translation error but I think the wording was deliberate.
3. We’ve had those extra WoL slots since plant got in

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Never really wanted to believe in 5ch to be honest. Just accepted it because it looked disappointing enough to be real. Doomguy and Ryu bore me, but I know that’s just my own opinion

However, I don’t think has even a cinch of credibility at this point

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Well before new DLC was announced Sakurai was going on saying how DLC isn't the profitable which lead people to think it wasn't going to happen; but I believe that at the very start they knew who they were going to use for the first five DLC characters and left a potential opening for more DLC along the way depending on how the Fighters Pass performed. I'm sure a good majority already bought the Fighters Pass and with a great buzz they got from Joker convince them that pursuing more DLC will be a good move. When it comes to Nintendo & Sakurai they usually go all in on a game and think of DLC afterwards; so I feel like they wouldn't have come up with the next batch of DLC character before announcing the first Fighters Pass back in November 2018.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Saw this art on Twitter and figured it would be good to share here.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

anyone know what this "5chan" leak people are talking about is about?
It is the first post at the top of this page.

Well before new DLC was announced Sakurai was going on saying how DLC isn't the profitable which lead people to think it wasn't going to happen; but I believe that at the very start they knew who they were going to use for the first five DLC characters and left a potential opening for more DLC along the way depending on how the Fighters Pass performed. I'm sure a good majority already bought the Fighters Pass and with a great buzz they got from Joker convince them that pursuing more DLC will be a good move. When it comes to Nintendo & Sakurai they usually go all in on a game and think of DLC afterwards; so I feel like they wouldn't have come up with the next batch of DLC character before announcing the first Fighters Pass back in November 2018.
Man, I hate to do it, but can you provide a source on DLC not being profitable? I believe you, but I also believed myself that there was some interview or maybe in the direct itself that Sakurai said they were pleased with the fighters pass and that's why they did further DLC, but going back and reading some Famitsu and watching directs, it never happened. A lot of the time we take hearsay or theorycraft as the gospel and it doesn't do anyone any good.

It's shaping up that two games in a row have had a huge pool of dummy slots that people at first assume are "just in case", but Smash 4 filled all of its and Ultimate is on the way to doing the same, assuming we don't get more dummy slots with another fighter. If the slots were there, almost from the word "go", then they had the plan to fill all of them, which likely includes licensing and all that nonsense, the only thing undone was the boots on the ground work of implementing the character into the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
It is the first post at the top of this page.

Man, I hate to do it, but can you provide a source on DLC not being profitable? I believe you, but I also believed myself that there was some interview or maybe in the direct itself that Sakurai said they were pleased with the fighters pass and that's why they did further DLC, but going back and reading some Famitsu and watching directs, it never happened. A lot of the time we take hearsay or theorycraft as the gospel and it doesn't do anyone any good.

It's shaping up that two games in a row have had a huge pool of dummy slots that people at first assume are "just in case", but Smash 4 filled all of its and Ultimate is on the way to doing the same, assuming we don't get more dummy slots with another fighter. If the slots were there, almost from the word "go", then they had the plan to fill all of them, which likely includes licensing and all that nonsense, the only thing undone was the boots on the ground work of implementing the character into the game.
I can't find the exact quote but PushDustIn kept bring up Sakurai stance on DLC and how it's not possible to continue it and/or it's not that profitable as a reason why we were only getting the initial 5 DLC Fighters and that's it. PushDustIn always goes off of anything that Sakurai said (just like how Sakurai said they're out of budget during Hero's reveal video and that was another reason why more DLC wasn't happening).

I am going on a gut feeling on how they make their DLC and just feel like with the next wave all those character that couldn't get in will have their chance, it would be ridiculous if Piranha Plant was the last fighter and characters like Rex and an ARMS rep are just never allowed to be in Smash Bros at all. So I feel that first 5 were planned early, they saw how well the Fighters Pass did with nobody knowing who they are and were confident that they can continue making DLC for Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I do think we're in a dry spell for Smash but it is not nearly as bad as the one between Joker's Announcement and Joker's release. I actually think that the two month waiting period for Terry to be released is extremely tolerable compared to past fighters. This month has flown by really quickly, so Terry will be upon us soon enough, as well as the announcement for fighter #5.

Also, I'm making an intro to a comic I hope to make, so please share your opinions on it!
Are you serious? We got Banjo last month and Terry could be coming out within a few weeks. What do you think a dry spell is? Do we have to get news every month for it not to be a dry spell? I don't mean to come off as agressive, I just think it's strange how quickly people start complaining about lack of news.

D

Deleted member

I can't find the exact quote but PushDustIn kept bring up Sakurai stance on DLC and how it's not possible to continue it and/or it's not that profitable as a reason why we were only getting the initial 5 DLC Fighters and that's it. PushDustIn always goes off of anything that Sakurai said (just like how Sakurai said they're out of budget during Hero's reveal video and that was another reason why more DLC wasn't happening).

I am going on a gut feeling on how they make their DLC and just feel like with the next wave all those character that couldn't get in will have their chance, it would be ridiculous if Piranha Plant was the last fighter and characters like Rex and an ARMS rep are just never allowed to be in Smash Bros at all. So I feel that first 5 were planned early, they saw how well the Fighters Pass did with nobody knowing who they are and were confident that they can continue making DLC for Ultimate.
Honestly, I kind of struggle to see how anyone could ever assume the DLC isn't profitable. For a game like Splatoon? Sure, they hand out all the DLC absolutely free of charge and hold tons of events doing nothing but advertising the game - which everyone who cares about likely already has. Everything else is just brand advertising for Nintendo. I can see Splatoon DLC not being traditionally profitable. Smash, though? Sakurai just talked about how it's easier to manage the DLC due to less needing to be developed and having smaller teams. This is a childish way to look at it, but still somewhat accurate: for 60 dollars, the base game contained 70 something characters, 103 stages, 5 days worth of music, an adventure mode (coughthatnooneaskedforcough), classic mode, etc. For one tenth the price of that, you get well under one tenth of the game's content. They worked on the base game for 4 or 5 years, and like most games nowadays, it has to sell big boy numbers to break even, let alone profit.

I understand that when you're talking DLC, you're probably going to look at less adoption than the base game, but I doubt they could say "not profitable", maybe "not as profitable".

As for your assumption about characters "that couldn't get in", we already went over the nebulous criteria for what makes a character possible, by a source you provided. It is extremely possible that Rex and some ARMS rep probably is never going to make it. Like... let's face it, despite the fact that Zero has been shown to be an extremely viable character in several fighting games, in Smash he's implied to be as undeserving of an original moveset and a spot on the character select screen as Sans Undertale. What ultimately decides a character that "can" get in isn't what's traditionally argued - popularity, moveset potential, importance, etc. To be extremely honest, it's just about as random as a human being can make it.

Are you serious? We got Banjo last month and Terry could be coming out within a few weeks. What do you think a dry spell is? Do we have to get news every month for it not to be a dry spell? I don't mean to come off as agressive, I just think it's strange how quickly people start complaining about lack of news.
A dry spell, in the information age, is 30 minutes or more without someone acknowledging the product. Reliable leaks have to be coming out around the clock and Nintendo has to tease Smash in every advertisement. Only then is there true, life giving rain.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Well, I wasn't complaining, I was stating a fact...

D

Deleted member

Well, I wasn't complaining, I was stating a fact...
I think the point is that this isn't really a dry spell by anything but the most impatient metric. We know what we're getting and when we're getting it, and assume we'll have fresh new information after that. As far as I'm concerned as long as we have a time frame for when we'll get information, it ain't dry.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I think the point is that this isn't really a dry spell by anything but the most impatient metric. We know what we're getting and when we're getting it, and assume we'll have fresh new information after that. As far as I'm concerned as long as we have a time frame for when we'll get information, it ain't dry.
True, true

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I suppose I need to get on this Geno Discord server. May give me a reason to open the app lol.
It really isn't any better than PapaGenos' discord tbh. And by that I mean you are going to get ridiculed if you even ponder the possibility of Geno getting into the game...Despite the server being about Geno.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think it feels like a dry spell because of how viable Geno has become recently, and the huge influx of detractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom