• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hold on when did geno do that!?! I just remember his star form flying off with the star pieces into the sky and the camera just pans out of the smithy screen.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hold on when did geno do that!?! I just remember his star form flying off with the star pieces into the sky and the camera just pans out of the smithy screen.
Well, they were sucked into a new dimension by Exor, and Geno took everyone out of it. Afterward, well... what else could have made Exor dissolve like that? It was none other than Geno with the seven star pieces. It couldn't have been anything else but that. Does it mean the entire dimension is dead? Not necessarily, but at the very least, the link between worlds was destroyed.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well, they were sucked into a new dimension by Exor, and Geno took everyone out of it. Afterward, well... what else could have made Exor dissolve like that? It was none other than Geno with the seven star pieces. It couldn't have been anything else but that. Does it mean the entire dimension is dead? Not necessarily, but at the very least, the link between worlds was destroyed.
Yeah destroying exor absolutely does not = destroying an entire dimension(wasn't exor dead when they entered?). I'm not sure how that got conflated in the first place. That's such a disparity in magnitude I don't even know where to begin. There's so much mystery around the nature of that final battle screen though it's sad it never got the chance to be explored.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Yeah destroying exor absolutely does not = destroying an entire dimension(wasn't exor dead when they entered?). I'm not sure how that got conflated in the first place. That's such a disparity in magnitude I don't even know where to begin. There's so much mystery around the nature of that final battle screen though it's sad it never got the chance to be explored.
They never actually show how the rest of the cast gets out of that dimension at the end of the game. Actually, there's a lot in-game that isn't explained -- it's one of the reasons why everybody else here wants a remake so badly.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
They never actually show how the rest of the cast gets out of that dimension at the end of the game. Actually, there's a lot in-game that isn't explained -- it's one of the reasons why everybody else here wants a remake so badly.
Yeah that's the truth. Though these days I feel like a proper remake would be near impossible. Square can barely manage holding their own products together and alphadream is out of commission. Nintendo isn't like disney so they chance of them picking it back up for themselves is slim to none. I'm expecting his reveal to get coupled with SMRPG for snes online and ending it there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just this young man's unbridled enthusiasm.

Also I dug up this artwork that portrays how some of y'all feel about the Plant lmao.
Those guys didn't wait a minute.
They didn't hold the phone.
They didn't mind their manners.
They didn't change their tone.
They just threatened it, son.
They had a lot of gall.
They'll now do things the plant's way.
Or they won't do things at all!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Those guys didn't wait a minute.
They didn't hold the phone.
They didn't mind their manners.
They didn't change their tone.
They just threatened it, son.
They had a lot of gall.
They'll now do things the plant's way.
Or they won't do things at all!

If Geno makes the Fighter's Pass this game will be too good!
With all this talk of confidence, you'd better knock on wood!

sorry rhyme schemes bring out my inner Grunty

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yeah. I think if we keep up being as motivated and positive, we will see the return of our favorite characters for sure.

QQS

Smash Lord
♥♪!? is definitely descending once again to possess the wooden puppet.

Geno is alive. Do you believe me or are you on Gaz’s mom side?

Splash Art: “Geno hears our prayers!” or “Geno lands on Smash Road!”

71977055-1AF8-4D4C-9B76-0DC2DD5E4B32.png

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I think some of you are taking the whole assist/piranha plant thing the wrong way. There’s no malicious intent meant in assist trophies. Obviously there is a disconnect with fan and develop understanding on this issue. I still believe that the rathalos pic was hinting at Isaac, but just his assist trophy. Sakurai thought we’d all be excited to see him back.

Sakurai has always strived to do his best with Smash. He knows he can’t please everyone, whether the cause be time or money, but he wants to make both the vocal and silent communities happy. Thats why we got Krool, Ridley, and Banjo, but also got Isabelle, Daisy, and Inkling. The man works himself to bone. I believe he was hospitalized after melee and had an IV hooked up during Ultimate. He’s stuck with the games for two decades and counting. The man clearly cares immensely. I dont wanna insult anyone but to think that the developers tried to intentionally anger fans is very pessimistic and narrowminded. Yes we dont have Geno or Isaac or anyone of those assists/spirits but theyre not impossible, and it doesnt mean they hate the fans.

Maybe some of the less kind-spirited members in the community mad the plant into something bad, but that was never the intent. The team probably just wanted to make a simple, funny character they hoped people would enjoy. I think plant was meant to be base roster, but they ran out of time. He was free for two/three months anyways.

We gotta have a better mindset on these kinds of things. Wallowing in our anger wont do anything except make us more angry. Even without Geno, this game has so much content and made with such love and care. All past fighters returned, an insane number of stage (many old favorites built from the ground up), a number of “impossible” characters, about 1000 songs, and a roster of 80 and counting.
Sorry for the rant :(

Edit: Also I dont mean that you can’t criticize Sakurai or the team, I do it myself alot. Just meant to point out that there arent bad intentions to the stuff we dont like.
I hope some people on this thread read this carefully and take this to heart. Sakurai has done so, soooooo much for people. He has spent years upon years building up Smash info what it is now. He has millions upon millions of fans each with their own desires and wishes. Imagine being I'm his shoes. Especially when the subjects matter is choosing between countless video game characters. If you look at the man's passion and the things he says and does... it is painfully clear he does all of this for not only Nintendo, but to make us happy.

I agree that Sakurai shouldn't be abstained from criticism and that some characters maybe shouldn't be Assist Trophies. But Waluigi, Isaac, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, etc., being Assist Trophies aren't meant to be personal. Yep, I get it, the "...and not as an Assist Trophy" rubbed you the wrong way. But... do you REALLY think he meant it that way? Based on all Sakurai does and continues to do for his millions of fans? For God's sake, the man went to work with an IV! If that doesn't show how earnest he is, then I don't know what is. Guess what? I wanted Shadow. And Bandana Dee. Those two are my most wanted characters. I was heartbroken when Shadow was shown off as an Assist Trophy (especially for the last Smash Direct no less), but you know what... I knew Sakurai didn't mean any harm. Do you REALLY think a man who continued to work with carpal tunnel and goes to work with an IV meant to hurt anyone? No. Nintendo certainly wouldn't have expected Sakurai to work in those conditions (*pushes up glasses* "Uhh, but actually my tin foil hat allows me to see that Sakurai was forced to in actuality..."), but he did anyway. Was the decision to save Shadow and Isaac a little tone-deaf? Perhaps. But Assist Trophies aren't a personal attack on your character. We Westerners view them differently than he does.

Again, I understand people being upset. But Sakurai does so much for us and clearly cares. If one or two characters not being in Smash but a plant being in ruins the game for you... then it is clear that you aren't appreciative for what you have. I get it, you want a chatacter and may have even been hoping for years. But Sakurai just hopes that even if your specific character request doesn't get in, that you'll still have fun anyway (I hope everyone always remembers this, even if Geno doesn't get in). Of course there is bound to be disappointment, but if you think Assist Trophies are a purposeful morgue that laughs at "rejects," then you need to step back and get some perspective.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has over 80 characters. Over 100 stages. And so much more. Keep in mind that we never even had to get DLC. And the fact that we are getting even more DLC that wasn't planned after the Fighters Pass is simply staggering. Sakurai isn't perfect and I do have some qualms with SSBU, but that doesn't change the fact that so much is amazing and Sakurai always wants to put a smile on our faces.

(Sorry for the rant)

Last edited:

Zav22

Smash Cadet
...but none of y'all even tagged me![/QUOTE]
I'd really like it If E. Gadd made it in Mario Kart Tour like Pauline did. I can imagine him riding in one of his inventions and using the poltergust as his special. It'd make a lot of sense for him to be in with Luigi and King boo when Luigis Mansion 3 comes out.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Death Battle sucks to be completely frank. And Geno vs. Skull Kid makes not much sense as a matchup. It feels too random and honestly does reek of trying to get more attention for Geno, we can do better than that, guys.

The only death battle i’ve liked (besides the stupid ones like Starscream vs. RD) is the Mario vs. Sonic rematch, and only because I called bull**** on their original Mario vs. Sonic outcome and it felt great to be vindicated after all those years.

But even then, there’s still so many Death Battles that had bull**** outcomes...

-Zelda vs. Peach
-Tracer vs. Scout
-Kirby vs. Majon Buu
-Luigi vs. Tails (this one has gotta be the worst, the end made no sense. There was no buildup or anything Tails just pulls out a punchy gun and kills Luigi... what the ****? Boxing gloves don’t pierce)

I have no doubt in my mind that ScrewAttack would make Geno get his ass kicked by SK either.

I’m all for getting more attention to Geno, but there’s not much of a point to it at this time (he will either be in Smash, or he wont) its not like we need Sakurai to become aware of him

ZelDan

Smash Master
Death Battle sucks to be completely frank. And Geno vs. Skull Kid makes not much sense as a matchup. It feels too random and honestly does reek of trying to get more attention for Geno, we can do better than that, guys.

The only death battle i’ve liked (besides the stupid ones like Starscream vs. RD) is the Mario vs. Sonic rematch, and only because I called bull**** on their original Mario vs. Sonic outcome and it felt great to be vindicated after all those years.

But even then, there’s still so many Death Battles that had bull**** outcomes...

-Zelda vs. Peach
-Tracer vs. Scout
-Kirby vs. Majon Buu
-Luigi vs. Tails (this one has gotta be the worst, the end made no sense. There was no buildup or anything Tails just pulls out a punchy gun and kills Luigi... what the ****? Boxing gloves don’t pierce)

I have no doubt in my mind that ScrewAttack would make Geno get his *** kicked by SK either.

I’m all for getting more attention to Geno, but there’s not much of a point to it at this time (he will either be in Smash, or he wont) its not like we need Sakurai to become aware of him
Geno and Skull Kid are both wooden, puppet-like beings, and are both characters requested for Smash, so it actually does make some sense as a match-up.

That said I don't really care for Death Battle either.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I love Geno, but man, sometimes trying to speculate about him is just tiring

It just gets so old about how wherever I go on the internet, if I discuss even the possibility of Geno being in the game, i’m met with “go away he is an irrelevant character puppet man bad”

How many ****ing times are we going to go through this? First it was Ridley, then K. Rool, then Banjo, now Geno.

The worst part about it is that if Geno gets in, this toxic portion of the Smash fandom will endlessly lick his boots to no end and act as if he was an obvious addition, while simultaneously going after the next most fan requested character that comes after Geno. Rinse and repeat.

It just gets ollllld man. Sorry, needed to vent a bit. I’m sure you guys know what i’m talking about

D

Deleted member

Yeah I saw it happen a bunch with Ridley and King K. Rool Geno was next in line. Ignore the hate.

Everyone wants to pick him apart and say irrelevant character he'd never get in but I say his chances are as good as ever.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I love Geno, but man, sometimes trying to speculate about him is just tiring

It just gets so old about how wherever I go on the internet, if I discuss even the possibility of Geno being in the game, i’m met with “go away he is an irrelevant character puppet man bad”

How many ****ing times are we going to go through this? First it was Ridley, then K. Rool, then Banjo, now Geno.

The worst part about it is that if Geno gets in, this toxic portion of the Smash fandom will endlessly lick his boots to no end and act as if he was an obvious addition, while simultaneously going after the next most fan requested character that comes after Geno. Rinse and repeat.

It just gets ollllld man. Sorry, needed to vent a bit. I’m sure you guys know what i’m talking about
The relevancy argument should have died with K. Rool's reveal, and been buried with Banjo and Kazooie's announcement. People love to hate on the popular characters because their popularity, at least in theory, makes it harder for whatever character they support to make it in.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Sometimes people in the Smash fandom act like single-celled organisms incapable of thought. It frustrates me because all of the excuses they make against characters have always been contradicted by the 80+ characters in the roster.

Give me an example and I'll give good evidence. This isn't against any one but you guys can help me prove a point.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Sometimes people in the Smash fandom act like single-celled organisms incapable of thought. It frustrates me because all of the excuses they make against characters have always been contradicted by the 80+ characters in the roster.

Give me an example and I'll give good evidence. This isn't against any one but you guys can help me prove a point.
Honestly the only character I see as impossible but is heavily requested (not counting Goku, Shrek, etc.) is Geralt. The games have definitely eclipsed the books but he’d still be 4th party. Nothing against him or his fans but it seems like a can of worms Sakurai doesnt wanna open.

D

Deleted member

The relevancy argument should have died with K. Rool's reveal,
And if it didn't die then, it's definately died within the last few months. With him being mentioned in some of the biggest leaks for this game and more people bringing him up on every platform of Smash speculation whether it be reddit, 4chan, twitter or brought up in popular Smash players YouTube video or even on here on SmashBoards. Like, it's hard to go anywhere without seeing Geno be mentioned at least once. Leaks, speculation culture and social media has really boosted his popularity and more people are aware of his existence now way more than ever.

Even casual gaming plebs that enjoy this product has at least some interest in who might want to purchase for more additional content, they've bound to run into Geno within a few swipes of their smartphones. Like, here's a personal experience: A few weeks ago I was working with a new guy that got hired and we hit started talking about video games. Just another Fortnite/COD obsessed 20 year old that's also into Smash, Zelda, Pokemon and loves his Switch and we shot the **** from there. Nice kid. Not even knowing who Geno and never played Mario RPG, he asked me if I knew who Geno was and I was like 'ya' and he was going on about how pretty cool Geno looked and mentioned that he would probably consider purchasing him.

I thought that was pree cool. I didn't have to do any convincing in anyway or bring up Geno at all and plant that seed of a potential character in his mind when we were on the topic of DLC. Twitter did all the work.

Thought I'd share that though. I've always felt pretty pessimistic as a Geno fan in regards to the 'relevancy' argument. I'm still kind of 2 minds on it, but it was that moment that I realized that Geno's popularity can reach out to others so easy and it makes me super happy. If people want to say that Geno is irrelevant, I say let them because if they're really true to their argument. they cannot deny that his popularity is rapidly increasing.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
And if it didn't die then, it's definately died within the last few months. With him being mentioned in some of the biggest leaks for this game and more people bringing him up on every platform of Smash speculation whether it be reddit, 4chan, twitter or brought up in popular Smash players YouTube video or even on here on SmashBoards. Like, it's hard to go anywhere without seeing Geno be mentioned at least once. Leaks, speculation culture and social media has really boosted his popularity and more people are aware of his existence now way more than ever.

Even casual gaming plebs that enjoy this product has at least some interest in who might want to purchase for more additional content, they've bound to run into Geno within a few swipes of their smartphones. Like, here's a personal experience: A few weeks ago I was working with a new guy that got hired and we hit started talking about video games. Just another Fortnite/COD obsessed 20 year old that's also into Smash, Zelda, Pokemon and loves his Switch and we shot the **** from there. Nice kid. Not even knowing who Geno and never played Mario RPG, he asked me if I knew who Geno was and I was like 'ya' and he was going on about how pretty cool Geno looked and mentioned that he would probably consider purchasing him.

I thought that was pree cool. I didn't have to do any convincing in anyway or bring up Geno at all and plant that seed of a potential character in his mind when we were on the topic of DLC. Twitter did all the work.

Thought I'd share that though. I've always felt pretty pessimistic as a Geno fan in regards to the 'relevancy' argument. I'm still kind of 2 minds on it, but it was that moment that I realized that Geno's popularity can reach out to others so easy and it makes me super happy. If people want to say that Geno is irrelevant, I say let them because if they're really true to their argument. they cannot deny that his popularity is rapidly increasing.
Over a decade of ever growing speculation has definitely made Geno well known. I first heard about him years back from the smash community and eventually bought SMRPG on SNES. And detractors bringing him up constantly kinda counteracts the irrelevancy argument. For one they acknowledge his existence, and by doing that more people learn abou him. I think its pretty clear you dont have to have a new game to be relevant, as shown by Banjo.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
"I am Geno of Star Road and I have a dream of fighting alongside my companion Mario in Smash."

sorry, I've been falling in love with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and I'm loving every bit of it.

Seriously though, Geno is extremely popular for a one-time hero. It's like Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, you only really need to do great once to be a legend in your field.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Ok I'm back after my brief hiatus lol. What can I say? I just can't stay away from y'all. Did I miss anything? I did read through some of the recent comments, but probably missed some stuff. Also, I need friends in Mario Kart Tour: 1668 9359 5005.

-Zelda vs. Peach
I actually complained about this one once, but actually, it was fully accurate, and it's actually much more onesided than the battle would have you belive. I don't want to derail the thread, but the TLDR is Peach has much more to work with and much, much better physicalty (She has pretty solid feats of strength, speed and durability, and Zelda pretty much lacks those), and one thing they never mentioned is that her "Mute" spell would null Zelda's magic and pretty much give her an instant win.

I agree that Tracer VS Scout and Luigi VS Tails were bull****, though (I agree with Kirby VS Majin Buu, but I don't really feel like arguing about it)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So you know how Mario Kart tour has randomly generated names? Well I saw one that was “Geno_Sky”

He’s in boys! :ultpacman:
I know you were joking, but they aren't randomly-generated, are they? They're grabbed from real usernames of real people, despite not being actual players. Apparently, people have seen some pretty vulgar ones lol.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I know you were joking, but they aren't randomly-generated, are they? They're grabbed from real usernames of real people, despite not being actual players. Apparently, people have seen some pretty vulgar ones lol.
OH yeah that probably makes more sense since I saw one that said “ThotDestroyer” my confusion thinking that Nintendo put that was immeasurable lol.

D

Deleted member

Those names yikes. But honestly yeah Geno has a good chance as anyone I may have never played Super Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars but I'm excited about his chances. Plus I respect and apperciate the character and what he can bring so I hope that this will be where's he's finally added.

Hoping for the best.

Also Super Mario and the Legend of the Seven Stars is just an awesome game so puppet boy deserves in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Man, I guess I've just settled into a corner of the internet where Geno gets love. I haven't been met with criticism in a long time when bringing up tha dood. Maybe it's cause I tend to avoid Smash subreddits and Discord Servers, trynna keep Smashboards alive here yawl.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, I guess I've just settled into a corner of the internet where Geno gets love. I haven't been met with criticism in a long time when bringing up tha dood. Maybe it's cause I tend to avoid Smash subreddits and Discord Servers, trynna keep Smashboards alive here yawl.
I have to wonder where this corner of the internet is, because I've found myself doubting that it exists anymore lately rofl.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I just realized something.. the November Direct was like infinity war( Killed off half our most requested characters) and this DLC season is like Endgame( Trying to fix everything)

D

Deleted member

I just realized something.. the November Direct was like infinity war( Killed off half our most requested characters) and this DLC season is like Endgame( Trying to fix everything)
Well it's not doing a very good job if that was the case cause this DLC has been worse for "killing half our requests"/giving us hope in highly requested characters than the November direct.

That's 100% not what they're doing or going for anyways though.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Honestly this is a super nice thread. Smashboards is pretty laidback in general thankfully.
But Infinity War was 10x better than Endgame

Uh oh

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly this is a super nice thread. Smashboards is pretty laidback in general thankfully.

But Infinity War was 10x better than Endgame

Uh oh
And that alone is what makes it wrong because B-K topped every single reveal for the base roster, even the heavy hitters like Ridley and K. Rool

Objectively

okay no it's subjectively but god they're my favorite newcomer in the history of ever and forever

D

Deleted member

Yeah I have no idea which direction the DLC is going in haven't the foggiest idea who they got up their sleeve as Fighter #5 hopefully we find out during Terry's presentation in November. Then we could focus on the fighters next year and find in what firm they're coming in.

I do like this fighter pass with characters like Joker and the long awaited Banjo & Kazooie it's definetly worth the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom