• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
D

Deleted member

I get annoyed with how Zelda is claimed to be perfectly represented and one-offs shouldn't be allowed, and at the same time, FE one-offs should be playable since the series is a rotating cast and needs to be represented. Or the counter argument to using other Zelda characters is being told to just play Hyrule Warriors if people want them. It comes off as hypocritical. Ironically, BOTH series have issues eith how they are repped (Marth sequels vs not using Zelda item arsenal).

For thst matter, just how big IS Fire Emblem saleswise? Sales shouldn't be a main support/hindrance for a character to be added, but at some point it does raise eyebrows if there is a huge disconnect between content amount and sales.
You know how hard it is to get concrete sales figures on a video game... But this list seems reasonable:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

I don't really understand what it means when it says "in tens of thousands" and then gives a number like 32.9. Is that 32.9 thousand or 32.9 ten thousands? (329,000)?

Overall, I agree with your assessment that sales shouldn't translate to characters, but it does seem to correlate with representation, and whether or not a gacha game is raking in tons of cash doesn't excuse Fire Emblem from having 7 characters when even Pokemon only has 10 (who all actually play different aside from Pikachu's clone) when it has objectively done nowhere near as good as Pokemon and will likely never do as well, regardless of how much Pokemon deteriorates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
To give your post some context, Fire Emblem seems to be #15 in Nintendo's top 25 best selling franchises as of 2017:

1. Super Mario (627.51 million)
  2. Pokémon (301.5 million)
  3. Wii Series (203.15 million)
  4. The Legend of Zelda (105.62 million)
  5. Donkey Kong (75.6 million)[8]
  6. Super Smash Bros (53 million)[9]
  7. Game & Watch (43.4 million)[10]
  8. Kirby (38 million)[9]
  9. Brain Age (34 million)[11]
  10. Animal Crossing (33.6 million)[12][13][14]
  11. Nintendogs (28.25 million)[15][16]
  12. Yoshi (24.87 million)[17]
  13. Wario (22 million)
  14. Metroid (17.44 million)
  15. Fire Emblem (12.4 million)*
  16. Splatoon (12.4 million)[18]
  17. Star Fox (12 million)
  18. Tomodachi (10.06 million)[19][20]
  19. Big Brain Academy (10 million)
  20. Luigi (10 million)
  21. F-Zero (5 million)
  22. Pikmin (5 million)
  23. Excite (5 million)
  24. Nintendo Land (5 million)
  25. Style Savvy (5 million)
According to this site: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games

Soooooo surprisingly not as big as I thought it was to be honest, though to be fair, it's bigger than Splatoon and Star Fox. Also, I'm astonished by the fact that the DK series has sold more games historically than Smash Bros thus far. Didn't see that coming.
Yea, when I was looking up sales I saw this, but I was iffy as it was on a wiki (but it looks like its citated) and that it was 2017 so it doesn't have 3 Houses, which sold great.

So its true, Fire Emblem is popular and should be repped. BUT, honestly, it should not have the 3rd highest roster count (granted, half of it is based off marth), nor should it get another character before Zelda. Mario? Pokemon? Justified (although, they can take a break as well with getting charactes.........after Geno is added). Fire Emblem? No.

Its like if FF Dissidia focused more on FFIV with content and characters Yes, its a popular game, but it should not be given a bigger focus over VI, VII or X (or XIV nowadays).

D

Deleted member

To give your post some context, Fire Emblem seems to be #15 in Nintendo's top 25 best selling franchises as of 2017:

8. Kirby (38 million)[9]
  13. Wario (22 million)
  20. Luigi (10 million)
  21. F-Zero (5 million)
  22. Pikmin (5 million)
  23. Excite (5 million)
According to this site: https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_selling_Nintendo_games

Soooooo surprisingly not as big as I thought it was to be honest, though to be fair, it's bigger than Splatoon and Star Fox. Also, I'm astonished by the fact that the DK series has sold more games historically than Smash Bros thus far. Didn't see that coming.
So since the number got tossed out earlier, at 2 million-ish, Super Mario RPG by itself sold half as much as F-Zero and lower ranked franchises.

I'm thinking he's in.

Heoj

Smash Ace
The Sabi, PapaGenos and Scott the Woz Smash DLC poll is likely going to be one of the biggest community polls, so if you want to vote for someone you should do it in time.

Vote Geno

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

8. Kirby (38 million)[9]
  13. Wario (22 million)
  20. Luigi (10 million)
  21. F-Zero (5 million)
  22. Pikmin (5 million)
  23. Excite (5 million)

No Earthbound? ah man why do they have to pick out characters from successes and not smaller ones that lacks left overs.

Heoj

Smash Ace
The Sabi, PapaGenos and Scott the Woz Smash DLC poll is most likely going to be one of the biggest community poll ever, so if you haven't voted yet, you should go do that at some point.

Vote Geno

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You'd think they'd focus on the characters that are actually popular in FE:H then instead of putting in the lords no one cares about
What do you mean. All the characters in Smash are among the most popular lords in the entire series and also are incredibly popular in Fire Emblem Heroes. The only one that isn't is Corrin and they got in under unique circumstances.

Unrelated to you, I don't understand why people have trouble understanding Fire Emblem's situation, it's the most specific set of circumstances ever that just happens to have resulted in it having 7 playable fighters. It wasn't even all that active of an attempt to promote Fire Emblem, it was just timing and fan demand. People can get mad at Fire Emblem all they want, but ever since Awakening it has been one of Nintendo's most consistently trending upward series that has sold progressively better with each new mainline entry (Shadows of Valentia not so much as a remake of already one of the less popular FE titles) and that sort of thing does matter to Nintendo. So they're not going to exactly mind if Fire Emblem gets that many characters, even if they don't directly push for them like some people seem to think.

D

Deleted member

What do you mean. All the characters in Smash are among the most popular lords in the entire series and also are incredibly popular in Fire Emblem Heroes. The only one that isn't is Corrin and they got in under unique circumstances.

Unrelated to you, I don't understand why people have trouble understanding Fire Emblem's situation, it's the most specific set of circumstances ever that just happens to have resulted in it having 7 playable fighters. It wasn't even all that active of an attempt to promote Fire Emblem, it was just timing and fan demand. People can get mad at Fire Emblem all they want, but ever since Awakening it has been one of Nintendo's most consistently trending upward series that has sold progressively better with each new mainline entry (Shadows of Valentia not so much as a remake of already one of the less popular FE titles) and that sort of thing does matter to Nintendo. So they're not going to exactly mind if Fire Emblem gets that many characters, even if they don't directly push for them like some people seem to think.
I'll throw out an unpopular opinion here:

Adopters of Fire Emblem post-Awakening are not Fire Emblem fans in the slightest and, I'll argue, have less capacity than most to be interested in Smash Bros. I get people who want to stick with a franchise they love even after Awakening and Fates, but people who got into the franchise because of Awakening's baby mode gameplay or "plot" don't know Marth from Adam and would hate a more classic Fire Emblem experience, which is likely why Shadows of Valentia didn't do well (it also happens to be my favorite recent Fire Emblem). I'm just not convinced that kind of gamer is the kind that Smash is going to appeal to or sell copies of Fire Emblem to.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
No they really aren't. FE:H has done a popularity poll annually for the last 3 years to get new unit variants and the only 3 Smash characters that have actually topped the popularity polls (as in, gotten new variants) are Ike, Roy, and Lucina. They had to change the entire voting methodology to get Marth anywhere near the top by combining all of his appearances into one character for voting (something Ike didn't get and still managed to top the charts), and he still couldn't even break top 6. The other characters in Smash have a bunch of alternate variants to be clear, but it's because IS is shilling them, and not as a result of their polling popularity. This is something that FE:H players don't like.

The consistently most popular characters in FE:H are Ike, Roy, and Hector for males, and Lyn, Lucina, and Celica for females. Despite this, they felt the need to put the uninspired avatar units and Chrom into Smash, characters that have still failed to place at the top despite Smash, and considering Smash is the only reason why Roy is popular, it says a lot about how dull people find Robin, Corrin, and Chrom.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Adopters of Fire Emblem post-Awakening are not Fire Emblem fans in the slightest and, I'll argue, have less capacity than most to be interested in Smash Bros. I get people who want to stick with a franchise they love even after Awakening and Fates, but people who got into the franchise because of Awakening's baby mode gameplay or "plot" don't know Marth from Adam and would hate a more classic Fire Emblem experience, which is likely why Shadows of Valentia didn't do well (it also happens to be my favorite recent Fire Emblem). I'm just not convinced that kind of gamer is the kind that Smash is going to appeal to or sell copies of Fire Emblem to.
I mean, they buy Fire Emblem and their money is just as good as that of "Fire Emblem fans." Nintendo won't make a distinction, and Three Houses is on pace to outsale both Awakening and Fates despite actually being much more in line with classic Fire Emblem titles outside of the monastery related stuff. Again, I don't think they put FE in Smash at any point to really advertise it outside of Corrin, and the rest was largely a combination of just continuing to add a new FE character and fan demand. Nintendo isn't going to complain when one of their more successful modern IPs with a 30 year history gets another fighter for this reason or that.

There's no "real Fire Emblem" fans, they're just people who buy the games and enjoy them. No reason to try to separate the concepts.

No they really aren't. FE:H has done a popularity poll annually for the last 3 years to get new unit variants and the only 3 Smash characters that have actually topped the popularity polls (as in, gotten new variants) are Ike, Roy, and Lucina. They had to change the entire voting methodology to get Marth anywhere near the top by combining all of his appearances into one character for voting (something Ike didn't get and still managed to top the charts), and he still couldn't even break top 6. The other characters in Smash have a bunch of alternate variants to be clear, but it's because IS is shilling them, and not as a result of their polling popularity. This is something that FE:H players don't like.

The consistently most popular characters in FE:H are Ike, Roy, and Hector for males, and Lyn, Lucina, and Celica for females. Despite this, they felt the need to put the uninspired avatar units and Chrom into Smash, characters that have still failed to place at the top despite Smash, and considering Smash is the only reason why Roy is popular, it says a lot about how dull people find Robin, Corrin, and Chrom.
Poll in 2017 where Chrom is literally the 4th most popular male character in Heroes: https://www.technobuffalo.com/fire-emblem-heroes-popularity-poll-results-are-in. Also see that male Robin is 8th most popular male character, female Robin is the 11th most popular female character, and female Corrin is the 5th most popular female character. Marth got in because he was the original FE character and the face of the franchise in the Melee days, so I don't see why his presence matters at all.

There is also the history of these polls on the Wiki that shows Chrom and Robin remain popular picks into 2019; https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Legends. So I don't really see your point here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, they buy Fire Emblem and their money is just as good as that of "Fire Emblem fans." Nintendo won't make a distinction, and Three Houses is on pace to outsale both Awakening and Fates despite actually being much more in line with classic Fire Emblem titles outside of the monastery related stuff. Again, I don't think they put FE in Smash at any point to really advertise it outside of Corrin, and the rest was largely a combination of just continuing to add a new FE character and fan demand. Nintendo isn't going to complain when one of their more successful modern IPs with a 30 year history gets another fighter for this reason or that.

There's no "real Fire Emblem" fans, they're just people who buy the games and enjoy them. No reason to try to separate the concepts.
I just want to nitpick and say that Roy was also an admitted shill pick. At least they didn't waste development time on him and took him out in the next game despite the fact people actually started to sort of like him.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just want to nitpick and say that Roy was also an admitted shill pick. At least they didn't waste development time on him and took him out in the next game despite the fact people actually started to sort of like him.
I guess Roy originally was, but the only reason we got him back in Smash 4 was because people wanted him back more than basically any newcomer. He was also kind of straightforward semi-clone with minimal differences that once again shows Fire Emblem as the series that was just in the right place at the right time.

Firox

Smash Master

I wanna start by saying I love ya, bro, and I'm usually on the same page as you, but you're argument here is just flat out wrong. Period. Case in point, let me give you a run-down of my Fire Emblem history:

The year was 2001. Smash bros Melee came out and I was drooling like a fat kid in a chocolate factory. Then I saw Marth and Roy. I had NO CLUE who these Japanese spouting swordsmen were and frankly, few if anyone in the west did either. I thought they were totally WTF characters until I played Radiant Dawn for the Wii. My brother had played Path of Radiance on the Gamecube and told me it was a fun franchise to pick up. Let me just say, the maps and story to Radiant Dawn, in my opinion (because I still haven't finished Three Houses and old Ike is a total badass), was the most EPIC AF of any Fire Emblem I've ever played. I instantly fell in love with the franchise from there and went on to play Shadow Dragon to learn more about Marth, Caeda, etc. and their source material. When Awakening came out, it revolutionized the franchise in far more ways than just the "future baby"/"Pick your waifu" mechanic and I still have to say that it was the best overall game for gameplay and character development up to that point. The story in general was very good and I can totally see why it earned representation in Smash. I've played every fire emblem release (and re-release) since and I have to say that the antiquated mechanics of the older FE games would be why most people would opt for modern representation rather than old. In fact, I think it's interesting that Marth's game was the oldest one I could stomach after knowing what else was out there.

Now, granted, since I technically adopted FE one game BEFORE Awakening, I could see where you're coming from with your point, but Awakening was actually the game that really solidified me as a fan (and I feel many others as well). While I agree with you that the more recent generation of fans would be lacking depth of history, I don't think it's really fair to say that they can't be fans "in the slightest". I think the issue really comes down to the fact that FE inclusion has been so controversial with respect to all the clones and seemingly OVER representation compared to other franchises. If Chrom and Lucina had been given 100% original movesets, I bet we wouldn't be seeing so much hate. The moral of the story is that originality is key to a good Smash bros reception and I wouldn't mind having another FE character (AFTER Geno, Sephiroth, Master Chief, Dixie, etc.) as long as they have something fresh to bring to the table. Imagine how much people would froth at the mouth if Sakurai ever released an Ike clone....

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wouldn't it be great if Sakurai's comment about wanting to please fans was a foreshadowing to Geno's inclusion as the first fighter outside the fighters pass?

I did this before with the Banjo & Kazooie thread and managed to predict correctly
Wouldn't it be great if Banjo & Kazooie released on the day the Nintendo direct comes out?
Hey guys, I'm back from the Geno thread. I'm really hoping that Banjo & Kazooie are shadow dropped tomorrow even though it's going to be unlikely.
So maybe I can play the prophet again with Geno?

Regardless I'm feeling Geno more on being the first character of the additional DLC than the fighters pass since I'd imagine Nintendo would want one character out from each company. With the additional fighters, I think it'd go back to square one with the companies so it'd be fair game.

D

Deleted member

Awakening's "baby mode" and :ultlucina::ultrobin: in Smash 4 are how I got into the series as a whole, so I don't see your logic.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
For the time period, Mario RPG sold incredibly, and it's a shame that it was never officially bundled with the SNES hardware so that it too could take advantage of inflated numbers.
Except it was included in a bundle with the redesigned SNES model.

snesus2.jpg

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it be great if Sakurai's comment about wanting to please fans was a foreshadowing to Geno's inclusion as the first fighter outside the fighters pass?

I did this before with the Banjo & Kazooie thread and managed to predict correctly

Regardless I'm feeling Geno more on being the first character of the additional DLC than the fighters pass since I'd imagine Nintendo would want one character out from each company. With the additional fighters, I think it'd go back to square one with the companies so it'd be fair game.
Fingers crossed. We won't know who the character is just yet.

But hopefully it is Geno.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Fire Emblem is very large and growing. As I understand it it's basically solidified itself as the number four behind Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.
I dunno if we can say that. At the very least, I'd put Kirby above it for how iconic and consistently well-selling of a series it is. Come to think of it, I'd probably put Donkey Kong around there too for similar reasons. (Everyone knows what a Donkey Kong is, whereas non-gamers would struggle to recognize a Fire Emblem.) Metroid's debatably there due to overall recognizability, but that series kind of tanks in Japan, so I'll be conservative and put it below modern day FE. So at best, that'd put Fire Emblem at around #6 in terms of "biggest" Nintendo franchises. Not worthy of competing with Mario and Pokemon for top marks in terms of Smash rep if you ask me.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

If they're doing a second Fighter's Pass, I don't think Geno is the lead off. He's kind of a bad character to do so with since he doesn't tell you a thing about the upcoming characters (something Joker at least generally managed). Now if it's just individual DLC, I'll say it's more likely for him to be the first non Fighter's Pass character.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If they're doing a second Fighter's Pass, I don't think Geno is the lead off. He's kind of a bad character to do so with since he doesn't tell you a thing about the upcoming characters (something Joker at least generally managed). Now if it's just individual DLC, I'll say it's more likely for him to be the first non Fighter's Pass character.
Does a character have to show off a pattern to be a lead off? Did Sakurai ever explain this was the reason he made Joker the first DLC character (genuinly asking here)? What if we get a pass that mixes first party characters with third party characters, would there be a character that could actually tell you what the pass is both first and third party?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I know I am late to do it but I finally did add myself to the wishes section in operation starfall site I was surprised to be the only one who typed ♡♪!? instead of Geno and also surprised that there is a “Middle East” choice in countries I guess I am the only one :p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Does a character have to show off a pattern to be a lead off? Did Sakurai ever explain this was the reason he made Joker the first DLC character (genuinly asking here)? What if we get a pass that mixes first party characters with third party characters, would there be a character that could actually tell you what the pass is both first and third party?
No they don't, but it is just really sound marketing sense. I also think if we're getting a pass, it's going to be all third parties again, but that's me. But there's no great option for a first and third party pass I'm willing to admit. I just expect first parties to be more of their own thing as opposed to in future Fighter's Passes since I would think Fighter's Pass would be the best way to include third parties, and I expect them to be the main DLC going forward.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Remember:

WE are the real Geno fans, those who wanted the puppet since Melee, those who really know the character, played his game, ask for him in the polls, and made him her favourite pick over all the others...those who never stopped dreaming. I'm not saying that we're the only one, but the people of this board looks like knows the character itself.
There will be people who will want to come up to the Geno-train, and they will be the same people who shout: "Spirited", "Literal Who", "Party-Member" "Only one game guy", "Wasted slot".
Beware of the Geno's bandwagoners, if we get our boy in.
I just don't want to gate keep people for changing their mind. Them jumping on our side means we won.

I know I am late to do it but I finally did add myself to the wishes section in operation starfall site I was surprised to be the only one who typed ♡♪!? instead of Geno and also surprised that there is a “Middle East” choice in countries I guess I am the only one :p
I was thinking about that. If you DM me your country, I can look into making an adjustment so it has representation.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah I'm thinking that the additional DLC may be full of individual characters rather than another fighters pass. Sakurai's words seem to indicate that he's focusing more on characters and If it was fighters pass, they probably would have shown it was as there is no reason not to leave it that vague if it was.

I'm hoping it's another fighters pass because I want more third parties just to bring gaming's most iconic characters together in one game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except that is literally the point... the most common excuse in the book.
It's the most common excuse because it's the actual reason, giving literally any other answer would be the excuse.

Sakurai could of added Little Mac or someone else. That doesn’t change the fact that there is nothing significant about the ice climbers and their not relevant. Not even the top 50 best selling NES games.
Well it is in the top 50 best selling NES games, and it sold 1.5 million copies, but I agree Sakurai could've added any number of other NES characters instead. Like I said, he tried to add (at least) three others before settling on ICs. But it just goes to show he was looking for representation of a time period instead of a specific character.

Since Kid Icarus got modernized, there are no plans for the future and it’s been technically almost 10 years since there’s no new game so the kid Icarus cast themselves are irrelevant. Geno can be a retro character. He’s from a beloved cult classic.
You do realize that the majority of the Kid Icarus characters were added right after Uprising, right? It's not like he added them in Ultimate. They weren't irrelevant then. Pit is a different story, the path Sakurai carves out for retros won't be of use for Geno. Yes Geno is a retro character by our standards, but by Sakurai's, the cutoff seems to be the 80s.

More importantly though, the "retro rep" doesn't even seem to be a thing anymore, and hasn't been for two, maybe even three games. So that door is closed anyway, even if Geno could fit through it. Using those characters as precedent is entirely flawed, because what lead to their inclusion is a huge exception to the standard process, especially for third-parties.

If I were using the “don’t belong in Smash” standpoint for example, just because you’re from the N.E.S era, doesn’t mean you automatically deserve to be in Smash.
I would agree with that, but clearly Sakurai doesn't. Or I would at least posit that "retro", at this point, is probably up to... even Gamecube days, so he could stand to widen the parameters. But what we think doesn't really matter, because we don't pick the characters.

These are fair points, but I didn't construct a complete list. There's one character who fits the venn diagram with Geno by those three common detractions: Duck Hunt.

[ X ] 20 Years old by the time of his inclusion
[ X ] Appeared in exactly one game
[ X ] not even the main character (that would be you, guy with the gun)
Your list still isn't complete, because while you only listed three hindrances, there is the additional one I mentioned: being third-party. Were Geno first-party, he probably would've been included back in Brawl. In that diagram, and not a partial one, none of the current cast share the centre.

If we want to talk about cumulative hindrances, I could add onto all of the things that potentially stopped Duck Hunt from getting into the game by common arguments against other characters. He doesn't have a canon name, he has no personality, he's literally an animal, he has no moveset... I'm sure if I really thought about it, I could come up with others.
Those aren't real hindrances, pitch 'em. Those examples are like saying Geno can't get in because his real name is unpronounceable.

I'm sure there are people who would try to say the big scary "third party" is a bigger hindrance than all of those, but Banjo is in this game.
You've again gone back to evaluating things based on a single hindrance I see. Banjo also was greatly hindered by being third-party, were he not he would've been included long ago as well, but between Banjo and Geno, one actually has successful eponymous series they lead; it's a whole different level in terms of recognition. In fact, none of the three aforementioned impediments are applicable to Banjo.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I personally think they're doing individual characters and not another pass. Looking at those WoL slots and allocated slots for stages, the FP covers the placeholders for stages entirely, leaving the WoL character slots open-ended. On top of Sakurai not being a fan of season passes, I could see Nintendo opting for individual DLC packs, if not a smaller 'pass' that doesn't include stages, maybe not even spirits. It'd be a fair compromise. Nintendo gets a season pass like they wanted, but Sakurai also gets his personal preference of individual character packs that don't need stages. All-in-all, I see this being a benefit for Geno, as we honestly have PLENTY of Mario stages. He really doesn't NEED one.

Now, that music, though... :drshrug: Sorry, gotta have at least one or two jams in there!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Poll in 2017 where Chrom is literally the 4th most popular male character in Heroes: https://www.technobuffalo.com/fire-emblem-heroes-popularity-poll-results-are-in. Also see that male Robin is 8th most popular male character, female Robin is the 11th most popular female character, and female Corrin is the 5th most popular female character. Marth got in because he was the original FE character and the face of the franchise in the Melee days, so I don't see why his presence matters at all.

There is also the history of these polls on the Wiki that shows Chrom and Robin remain popular picks into 2019; https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Legends. So I don't really see your point here.
Really? How do you think people would feel if they put the 4th and 8th most popular Kirby or Star Fox characters in the game instead of the ones people actually like? Imagine swapping out Meta Knight for Magolor and Falco for Pigma or something

"Actually, they consistently place in the top 10, which means they deserve to be in Smash." Does any other series work this way? Absolutely ridiculous

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I personally think they're doing individual characters and not another pass. Looking at those WoL slots and allocated slots for stages, the FP covers the placeholders for stages entirely, leaving the WoL character slots open-ended. On top of Sakurai not being a fan of season passes, I could see Nintendo opting for individual DLC packs, if not a smaller 'pass' that doesn't include stages, maybe not even spirits. It'd be a fair compromise. Nintendo gets a season pass like they wanted, but Sakurai also gets his personal preference of individual character packs that don't need stages. All-in-all, I see this being a benefit for Geno, as we honestly have PLENTY of Mario stages. He really doesn't NEED one.

Now, that music, though... :drshrug: Sorry, gotta have at least one or two jams in there!
I feel like Nintendo will want to push at least one more pass since the first is clearly selling incredibly well. I know nothing of data mining but from what I understand there's a likelihood these "slots" could be added in via patch.

I don't think Geno would be a lead off, though. The first character should be someone who excited the general public, not a niche fan character. I still think we could get him this Fighter's Pass.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I feel like Nintendo will want to push at least one more pass since the first is clearly selling incredibly well. I know nothing of data mining but from what I understand there's a likelihood these "slots" could be added in via patch.
Oh yeah, of course, it's a possibility I wouldn't write off at all. I dunno, though. I feel we're at least getting some form of individual DLC. I'd bet money on it, even.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't understand how being a 3rd Party character is still a hindrance in any way...
So you're saying that were Geno a first-party, he still wouldn't be included on the roster?

Can't say I agree with that.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Oh yeah, of course, it's a possibility I wouldn't write off at all. I dunno, though. I feel we're at least getting some form of individual DLC. I'd bet money on it, even.
It does seem strange for the Plant to be sitting in his own Individual DLC category. I still think maybe each Fighter Pass will be preceded by a First Party fighter sold individually.

Are you saying that if Geno was first-party, he still wouldn't currently be on the roster?

Because I don't agree with that.
Not at all. I agree that his Third Party status is what kept him out of the Roster for a long time. But Ultimate has truly changed the game as far as ownership boundaries go.

Hence why I think he's more probable than ever. That "hindrance" has become the only defining factor of all DLC characters so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't understand how being a 3rd Party character is still a hindrance in any way...
because they have to go through a company that isn't Nintendo, so if that company is rather stingy and doesn't want that character in Smash, then they're not getting in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not at all. I agree that his Third Party status is what kept him out of the Roster for a long time. But Ultimate has truly changed the game as far as ownership boundaries go.

Hence why I think he's more probable than ever. That "hindrance" has become the only defining factor of all DLC characters so far.
A hindrance isn't something that can't be overcome, it's something that makes achievement more difficult. I agree him being third-party, and all those other hindrances can be overcome, but were they not present, especially the third-party one, he'd have been in long ago.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
A hindrance isn't something that can't be overcome, it's something that makes achievement more difficult. I agree him being third-party, and all those other hindrances can be overcome, but were they not present, especially the third-party one, he'd have been in long ago.
Right, I understand where you're coming from. I just feel like that obstacle in particular has transformed into something that would help his chances.
because they have to go through a company that isn't Nintendo, so if that company is rather stingy and doesn't want that character in Smash, then they're not getting in.
We do have the assurance that Square is far more negotionable than they once were, though. Considering that they were willing to work with Sakurai for both Cloud and Hero.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right, I understand where you're coming from. I just feel like that obstacle in particular has transformed into something that would help his chances.
Insofar as it's kept him eligible right now for a pass that will (presumably) be all third-parties, sure. And I'm not even saying likely, I'm just saying eligible. But you have to weigh that against the fact that prior to the moment we find ourselves in, there have been a litany of opportunities that probably would've already seen him included had he been first-party. Starting, I'd guess, with Brawl.

In short, if he was first-party he wouldn't get in right now, true enough, but he also would've already been added. So it'd be moot.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I think there's a solid chance that we get another tab for further DLC stages. I feel like there's no way that Sakurai goes through the next batch of DLC and doesn't add any new universes (They would necessitate stages) and goes like a year of characters without any new stages or additional content beyond like music and maybe Spirits.

Like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say you want to keep expanding your legacy and this crossover, and then promptly just add on to existing series with no opportunity for new ones. Not to mention.. God, that would be the most anti-climactic and disappointing situation ever for Ultimate. There's lots of great stages to add even from existing series too.

Really? How do you think people would feel if they put the 4th and 8th most popular Kirby or Star Fox characters in the game instead of the ones people actually like? Imagine swapping out Meta Knight for Magolor and Falco for Pigma or something

"Actually, they consistently place in the top 10, which means they deserve to be in Smash." Does any other series work this way? Absolutely ridiculous
I mean, it's all a moot point since all the Fire Emblem additions sans Chrom were added prior to Heroes even releasing anyway. I was just showing that these characters weren't exactly not popular as well. They were already here prior to this being a worry, and Chrom specifically got in because he got passed over in the trailer of Robin/Lucina and somehow ignited a fan base to push for his inclusion... not to mention he already had assets in the game through Robin's Final Smash. Heroes has had no tangible impact on Smash yet, so we'll see what they choose to do if they add another Fire Emblem character (Though, my money is all on Three Houses).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom