• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well guys, last night I had a dream that Geno was in fact confirmed for Smash. I remember consistently not believing it and being like "this is all a dream, it's too good to be true". Then I woke up, and of course, Geno is still not in Smash. :(
It’s funny how a “One off side character” is polling really well compared to popular and iconic characters. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
Will all this talk of Fire Emblem and their painful redundancy of movesets, I've thought of a new question to pose to you all. What would you rather have in a newcomer:

1) Huge popularity but almost no originality of moveset? (Potential examples: Chrom, Byleth, Shadow, Dixie, Punch Out Character, etc.)

or

2) Tons of originality in their moveset but fairly obscure? (Potential examples: ROB, G&W, Piranha Plant, etc.)

Personally, I feel Geno would fall pretty solidly over option 2, but what do you think?

(Note: This is purely a hypothetical, seeing as how we could easily have a character this is both popular AND original. I just want to see what people value MORE.)
(Also Note: The potential examples for popularity could easily have original movesets, but I included them simply because I could also see them as potential echoes. Please don't get hung up on my mentioning them and come at me like a spider monkey.)

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Will all this talk of Fire Emblem and their painful redundancy of movesets, I've thought of a new question to pose to you all. What would you rather have in a newcomer:

1) Huge popularity but almost no originality of moveset?

or

2) Tons of originality in their moveset but fairly obscure?

Personally, I feel Geno would fall pretty solidly over option 2, but what do you think?

(Note: This is purely a hypothetical, seeing as how we could easily have a character this is both popular AND original. I just want to see what people value MORE.)
Definitely 2. A few fan requests here and there are cool but I'd rather have some more surprise characters in the same vein as Terry

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I understand that; however, rotating cast or no, I just don't think a series like Fire Emblem should have double the rep of some of NIntendo's most iconic and relevant series. Besides, I'd argue that there are a lot more options for a Kirby rep than just BWD (Marx, Gooey, Dark Matter, etc.), even if he makes the most sense out of all of them. Kirby has a lot of good characters that would work well in Smash to the point that they could add any of them and I'd be excited regardless of who it is.
And while I agree that Zelda is represented fine with the Triforce Trio since the series kind of lacks major recurring characters outside of that (mostly bit players like Tingle and Kaepora Gaebora on that front), the fact that it has less overall rep than Fire Emblem, even if we consider alternative forms of representation like stages and music, is just laughable to me.
All I want from Kirby is Magolor. I'll take BWD and/or Marx cuz they'd be unique and please some fans too tho. As for Zelda, yeah it doesn't have major recurring characters but it does have major characters. I agree that a game with such an incredible legacy should get more representation in spite of that though. Honestly, at this point though I think it's fair to say that FE is achieving the same kind of legendary status and also deserves as much representation as it gets (remember that it has always been pretty popular in Japan). As for who I'd want from Zelda, I think Midna with or without wolf Link would be great, the champions in a Pokemon Trainer style would be awesome (and with BotW 2 coming they could be recurring characters maybe?), and for generic enemies I like the Shadow Beasts and basically I'll take anything other than "specific Links Awakening Link" or something like that.

D

Deleted member

1) Huge popularity but almost no originality of moveset? (Potential examples: Chrom, Byleth, Shadow, Dixie, Punch Out Character, etc.)

or

2) Tons of originality in their moveset but fairly obscure? (Potential examples: ROB, G&W, Piranha Plant, etc.)

Originality definitely. I've spoken up with my hot takes before about how similar so many characters we already have are, I really think there needs to be more moveset variety in the game.

Never another guy with a sword unless he's got some really crazy magics to back it up.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

or

(Also Note: The potential examples for popularity could easily have original movesets, but I included them simply because I could also see them as potential echoes. Please don't get hung up on my mentioning them and come at me like a spider monkey.)
i have a neutral stance for both of these questions at this point, but i would go for the latter for Geno's Sake.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've had dreams of Geno in Smash many, many times. It's always sad to wake up from those...

I also had a few dreams of B-K making it, too, before they actually got in. Those were just as heartbreaking... so imagine my joy when it finally came true. :dr^_^:

or

Originality. A few of the first category would be good, too, for those delicious fan requests, but I love original movesets that bring new stuff to the table. As long as it isn't something like Corrin, we're good.

Firox

Smash Master
Never another guy with a sword unless he's got some really crazy magics to back it up.
This x1000. The only reason I could see Lloyd as a possibly interesting swordie is because they could do some super cool stuff with his dual-wielding sword style that the others can't. I'm imagining the attack speed of metaknight but with higher damage output. Maybe some insane combo potential at the sacrifice of some reach. Even better, I think Isaac would have been the absolute perfect type of swordie. He could use his sword for normal attacks but have an incredible arsenal of psynergy to control the field.

D

Deleted member

This x1000. The only reason I could see Lloyd as a possibly interesting swordie is because they could do some super cool stuff with his dual-wielding sword style that the others can't. I'm imagining the attack speed of metaknight but with higher damage output. Maybe some insane combo potential at the sacrifice of some reach. Even better, I think Isaac would have been the absolute perfect type of swordie. He could use his sword for normal attacks but have an incredible arsenal of psynergy to control the field.
Lloyd uses average sized swords though iirc so I don't really see why he would sacrifice range. It's great to be balanced but not at the cost of your moves making sense.

I think it'd be really neat if Isaac/Felix was a mixture of Shulk and Hero/Robin, though - Neutral B switches Djinn and changes the side, up and down B. Depending on the Djinn you were using, your Final Smash changes to the max elemental summon.

Firox

Smash Master
Lloyd uses average sized swords though iirc so I don't really see why he would sacrifice range. It's great to be balanced but not at the cost of your moves making sense.

I think it'd be really neat if Isaac/Felix was a mixture of Shulk and Hero/Robin, though - Neutral B switches Djinn and changes the side, up and down B. Depending on the Djinn you were using, your Final Smash changes to the max elemental summon.
Wow, that's a really cool idea for Isaac/Felix. As for Lloyd, I didn't mean to say that his range would be trash. I'm just saying that he shouldn't have Shulk/Cloud amounts of reach for how fast he could be. When it comes to swordies, more reach and power usually comes at the cost of combo potential. I'd rather he have high combo potential, but that's just me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That Walmart Canada thing reminds me of this lol

Bandana Dee is so loved, even by corporate folks. I know he's a HUGE deal in Japan, too. While I don't think he'll get in Ultimate with the amount of third party focus going on, he has no shortage of affection from the world, which is a great thing. At the very least, he's got a whole lot of love both in and out of the industry, something that Geno hasn't had in many years (in terms of within the industry, he has a lot of fans outside of it).

It's still a shame, though. BD is an adorable little nugget, and we don't have any spear users yet (Corrin doesn't count, screw them, sorry Corrin fans pls don't kill), so he would have added well to the roster. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and he'll get in anyway. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if so. Even though times realistically look dire for him, don't give up hope and keep your love for the little guy steady!

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, I know Corrin was a shameless shill of all shills, but can't we at least appreciate the fact that he/she has one of the most unique movesets among the FE cast? They and Robin are the only two that didn't fall into the stereotypical "swordie" category. That's gotta count for SOMETHING.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
To me, BWD’s biggest obstacle isn’t this third party thing going on; it’s Sakurai

As much as people don’t want to admit it, I do think Sakurai has some sort of preference for how he wants Kirby to be represented.

Get this, there have been ZERO new stages or new remixes from the modern Kirby games that Sakurai didn’t make (RTDL onward)

Yes, I know there’s that whole Epic Yarn stage thing, but honestly, even if that was true, why Epic Yarn? Return to Dreamland was the main Kirby game on that system, EY was just a spinoff. This raises more red flags to me than lowers them.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
With all this dream talk, I find it funny that I just had a dream last night about Geno's reveal trailer, it was pretty strange but also kinda interesting.

It starred Mario and Diddy Kong, both walking in this tall tree jungle like area, Mario comes across an old treehouse type structure and jumps from branch to branch to get inside. Diddy somehow got himself entangled upside down in vines? I believe he was just bored or something.

As Mario was investigating this treehouse full of old antiques (filled with tons of nintendo references, probably) a streak of light came from one of the shelves and went outdoors. Mario came back outside to see Diddy fighting with a few shadows and promptly joins him.

In the midst of the fight, from the shaded parts of the forest in the back comes multiple blasts of energy, resembling Geno Blast quickly making it's way to the shadows, the shadows turn around and just get absolutely beaned.

Squinting towards the source of the beams, Geno emerged from the shadows followed by his splash screen.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Bandana Dee is so loved, even by corporate folks. I know he's a HUGE deal in Japan, too. While I don't think he'll get in Ultimate with the amount of third party focus going on, he has no shortage of affection from the world, which is a great thing. At the very least, he's got a whole lot of love both in and out of the industry, something that Geno hasn't had in many years (in terms of within the industry, he has a lot of fans outside of it).

It's still a shame, though. BD is an adorable little nugget, and we don't have any spear users yet (Corrin doesn't count, screw them, sorry Corrin fans pls don't kill), so he would have added well to the roster. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and he'll get in anyway. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if so. Even though times realistically look dire for him, don't give up hope and keep your love for the little guy steady!
They could make him DLC. From what I understand dataminers found ten empty spots they attribute to future DLC so there's no reason they couldn't make him playable.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They could make him DLC. From what I understand dataminers found ten empty spots they attribute to future DLC so there's no reason they couldn't make him playable.
As much as I'd love to see more than a couple of first parties in the mix, I personally feel cynical about it. That said, it is definitely a possibility, don't get me wrong. I'm just not expecting it.

D

Deleted member

As much as I'd love to see more than a couple of first parties in the mix, I personally feel cynical about it. That said, it is definitely a possibility, don't get me wrong. I'm just not expecting it.
Sadly I feel exactly the same with how the Fighters Pass was made and currently is there's only 3rd parties and with everything that Sakurai and the NoJ president has said recently (paraphrasing but something like: "Smash is the biggest collaborative title and we'd like to see it continue to be") I feel like they won't change that at best they'll tweak it a bit to give more room for 1-2 First parties but that's all I feel.

And sadly I don't think Bandanna Dee would take priority over someone like Edelgard/Byleth, Astral Chain Protag, SwSh Pokemon or even Rex/Pyra. I just don't see it sadly and while I could be wrong I totally agree with Ovaltine here that we likely won't get many if any First Parties.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh god, I just remembered that I had a Geno dream last night, too... but it was that his costume came back without music, and it was just a straight port from Sm4sh.

That is like the worst possible scenario. I'll take an upgraded costume with music. A Sm4sh costume port would be horrible. Pleeeease, please don't do that, Nintendo. At least make it look like Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Just thought I'd cross-post some stuff that A Ayumi Tachibana relayed about the Dragon Quest 11 livestream that was happening earlier today (thank you so much by the way!) related to Dragon Quest in Smash, thought it might be of some interest to contextualize a great number of things about our past several months of speculation:

The DQ livestream is very interesting. So much behind the scene things from Sakurai.
Just Hero bit here. I don't want to translate all but you should be looking forward for full-translation from PushDustIn.
Demands for DQ was always there but Sakurai thought it was just impossible however Nintendo said to him this time may be they can make it happen.
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero. Hero was first only had 11 and 3 skins but Horii gave him go for the others. Sakurai really wanted DQ3 hero and he had intention to create 8 different Heroes but he couldn't do it because of time constraints. The image of DQ1 hero is too varied and DQ5 protagonist is not a sword-wielder so they went with DQ4 hero instead. DQ8 protagonist was for overseas.
The concept of Hero was to represent the big-hearted, easygoing and generous feelings that DQ has. He knows that competitive players tend to dislike randomness but Smash is always meant to be a loose game.
One more thing.
It's not stated clearly but the talk between Sakurai and Fujimoto sounded like DQ was planned very early stage of Ultimate.
This is purely on my speculation but may be it sent to DLC because of JASRAC. DQ musics are managed by them and they always take money by percentage of the sales of the product so the cost will be far less if it's DLC.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just thought I'd cross-post some stuff that A Ayumi Tachibana relayed about the Dragon Quest 11 livestream that was happening earlier today (thank you so much by the way!) related to Dragon Quest in Smash, thought it might be of some interest to contextualize a great number of things about our past several months of speculation:
Ha, I just responded to that in newcomer speculation! I'll cross-post my theory-crafting here, too, since I feel that it is rather logical. It's a little more of 'how Geno's spirit made it' rather than anything for his chances, since that's more slippery slope territory, but it's an observation I wouldn't discount.

You know, I'm probably very biased when I say this, but the fact that DQ may have been base game and was moved to DLC is very interesting to me. The only base game content we got apart from Cloud's bare minimum are Geno's and Mallow's spirits. It makes me wonder if DQ and Geno were both on the table, DQ was chosen for a rep, and Geno's spirit was added with Mallow's as a, "This will do for now, maybe we'll add him as DLC later." Then, DQ was pushed off to DLC.

Just a point of fascination that makes me wonder if Geno, apart from the Fighter's Pass, was never entirely off of the table at any point. Shelved for now and for the Fighter's Pass, yes, but not completely off of the table. It'd make some sense to me that they were both in consideration, one more iconic pick and one more fan-based pick, and they prioritized the iconic one (smart business move). Whether that theory is true and whether or not we'll get Geno at any point is still up in the air, but considering how third parties are negotiated and require more work than first parties, I wouldn't rule it out. Geno's spirit got in the game somehow, and this seems like a logical process.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It seems DQ was pushed to DLC. Could this be good for Geno?
Depends on if there was anything else being decided upon with Square Enix at the time, otherwise I would say that the "move" (since it hasn't been officially confirmed and is still speculative in nature) doesn't really effect Geno.

Though, the openness and support of Square Enix as described in this presentation is only a good thing for Geno and any other Square Enix options for future DLC.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have a theory why Geno was only considered twice in Brawl and Smash 4?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Does anyone have a theory why Geno was only considered twice in Brawl and Smash 4?
Nintendo and Square werent cool during Brawl, and Square probably wanted to get their flagship mascot in Smash (Cloud) first before anyone else. DLC was limited in Smash 4 when it came to new characters.

D

Deleted member

Because they made Melee in 4 minutes thanks to programmer legend Iwata, and there's only been 5 games?

Hard to know who they had on their mind in Smash 64 - there were tons of characters that interviews after the game came out either hint at or outright confirm just didn't make the cut for one reason or another. It's doubtful that back then they were considering third parties too much.

Geno probably entered Sakurai's radar when he was heavily requested on the 2006 Dojo poll, the results of which were officially published by Sakurai (making it the only official poll that we have results for?) Most of the characters requested in that poll have made it into the game in one form or another, overwhelmingly as playable fighters as long as they have a somewhat realizable moveset. I think the notable characters who didn't make it as playable despite having many moves to choose from are Krystal, Isaac, and Geno.

So scratch Brawl off the list because Sakurai has outright stated it didn't work out. Smash 4 is up for debate as to what the intentions of the Geno costume really were, and there's no proof that they haven't considered him for Ultimate.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Geno probably entered Sakurai's radar when he was heavily requested on the 2006 Dojo poll, the results of which were officially published by Sakurai (making it the only official poll that we have results for?)
I've never heard of a Dojo poll, but there was an official Smash 2 poll (so Melee before it was Melee lol) where Geno AND Mallow ranked, an internal poll. It's the only one with public results that I'm aware of. People at Nintendo and presumably elsewhere have wanted Geno since after Smash 64, much like Banjo. It's just that Brawl was the time that he really exploded in popularity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've never heard of a Dojo poll, but there was an official Smash 2 poll (so Melee before it was Melee lol) where Geno AND Mallow ranked, an internal poll. It's the only one with public results that I'm aware of. People at Nintendo and presumably elsewhere have wanted Geno since after Smash 64, much like Banjo. It's just that Brawl was the time that he really exploded in popularity.
We are likely thinking of the same poll. I know the results were hanging out in 2006 so that's its official age to me, if it was around before, wow.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We are likely thinking of the same poll. I know the results were hanging out in 2006 so that's its official age to me, if it was around before, wow.
Can't say I'm sure since characters that made it into Melee (Bowser, Ice Climbers) were in that poll. It was definitely for Melee, so it's quite an old batch of results, and again, it was an internal poll.

D

Deleted member

Can't say I'm sure since characters that made it into Melee (Bowser, Ice Climbers) were in that poll. It was definitely for Melee, so it's quite an old batch of results, and again, it was an internal poll.
The one I'm referring to was posted here on Smashboards all those eons ago and had characters like Lucas and Olimar on it, so realistically it couldn't have existed before Melee.

Heck, for all we know, Geno was considered for every single Smash game and Sakurai had to lean back in his chair and groan about how they did Square dirty and burned down a good bridge.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
No one is allowed to say SE is too hard to work with anymore

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
The one I'm referring to was posted here on Smashboards all those eons ago and had characters like Lucas and Olimar on it, so realistically it couldn't have existed before Melee.

Heck, for all we know, Geno was considered for every single Smash game and Sakurai had to lean back in his chair and groan about how they did Square dirty and burned down a good bridge.
How I could I forget the Dojo? Weird that speculation has almost become more anarchic since the early days. That's what hope does to people, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

How I could I forget the Dojo? Weird that speculation has almost become more anarchic since the early days. That's what hope does to people, I suppose.
I personally love how Smash speculation has gone from the innocent days of "boy I hope they throw in [character]!" to full on troll campaigns with absurd memes, fan groups, etc. I wouldn't trade in the laughs I've had since Brawl's launch for the world.

... But I would trade them in for Geno in Smash.

No one is allowed to say SE is too hard to work with anymore
Yeah to hear Sakurai tell it these guys were ready to work to help see Hero come to Smash in a really well represented way. When he first got announced, I was pretty angry about it not being Geno, as if we were getting robbed, but I've kind of come out of that. I hope Dragon Quest XI does well on the Switch as a way to tell Square they're where they belong.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually of the opinion that Sakurai only considered Geno for Brawl, and not Smash 4. In the popular interview that is often quoted, Sakurai says he 'wanted Geno as a character', but it's never expanded upon if he means he wanted Geno for Brawl, which is something that we already knew, or if he wanted Geno for Smash 4. I'm not sure if it's rendered unclear in the translation or if he was just as vague in Japanese, but I'll take the conservative approach and say he meant he wanted Geno for Brawl.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It interests me a lot that SE initially suggested Slime to be the DQ character. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the second time Square Enix has suggested a specific character to represent one of their franchises in Smash, but Sakurai went against it and they were completely okay with his decision? I swear, if this doesn't kill the "SE is literally Satan" myth for good, nothing will.
Also I still kinda wish Slime was our DQ rep, but grumble grumble, I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm actually of the opinion that Sakurai only considered Geno for Brawl, and not Smash 4. In the popular interview that is often quoted, Sakurai says he 'wanted Geno as a character', but it's never expanded upon if he means he wanted Geno for Brawl, which is something that we already knew, or if he wanted Geno for Smash 4. I'm not sure if it's rendered unclear in the translation or if he was just as vague in Japanese, but I'll take the conservative approach and say he meant he wanted Geno for Brawl.
Not sure why it would matter. The important fact from the interview is that Sakurai likes Geno, thinks he would work well in Smash, and wanted him once.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It interests me a lot that SE initially suggested Slime to be the DQ character. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the second time Square Enix has suggested a specific character to represent one of their franchises in Smash, but Sakurai went against it and they were completely okay with his decision? I swear, if this doesn't kill the "SE is literally Satan" myth for good, nothing will.
Also I still kinda wish Slime was our DQ rep, but grumble grumble, I guess.
Inb4 SE offers Mallow to Sakurai, since he's the first character recruited in SMRPG, but Sakurai goes against that to ask for Geno and SE is okay with that.

D

Deleted member

Inb4 SE offers Mallow to Sakurai, since he's the first character recruited in SMRPG, but Sakurai goes against that to ask for Geno and SE is okay with that.
Sakurai: I'm thinking Super Mario RPG.
SE: ... But you already put Piranha Plant in the game.
Sakurai: No, I was feeling Geno.
SE: Oh. Yeah that's a cool idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom