• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
This thread really loves to discuss everything besides Geno.
When you have a thread with almost 60,000 posts, there's bound to be off-topic stuff. or atleast that's how I see it. *shrug*

Anyways, I'd totally be down with Edelgard being added in Smash, even if it's Ultimate. I've never really had the "a series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps" mindset...well, not entirely atleast. I mean, I do prefer to see playable reps go to lesser repped series or series with no playable reps at all, for variety's sake, but hey, I won't complain about an already well-repped series getting another character, as long as said character is actually worthwhile or palatable in some way. Even if Mario already has a crapload of characters, I'm not exactly going to throw a fit if Pauline, hypothetically, were made playable, because Pauline is dope. Despite being indifferent to Waluigi, I wouldn't be upset at him being added either, because I know he is a highly desired character in the Smash community. Same thing with Edelgard; yes FE already has alot of reps, but Edelgard is cool and interesting, so screw it, I'd be fine with her inclusion.

I guess to put simply, I don't have a "series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps" mindset but more a "series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps... unless the character is actually cool"

And tbh, FE having an amount of reps close to that of Mario or Pokemon I don't think is THAT absurd. FE obviously isn't as big as either, but that being said I think it's fair to say that FE has definitely joined the Nintendo big leagues in recent times, and lord does Three Houses only further that with how incredibly successful it has been. Only questionable thing about it is it having more reps than Zelda, but honestly, even as a huge Zelda fan I don't really care that much about FE having more playable characters, the only characters I care about seeing playable are Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Impa. besides, Zelda has more stuff that FE outside of playable reps so there's that atleast.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
For the record, I didn't mean to bash Fire Emblem TH or anything. I actually think it's been received quite well and probably deserves a rep more than Fates obviously. Edelgard would be neat, and she could have an axe-based moveset.

But that's not going to happen.
Let's face it, if another FE character comes, it'll be Byleth, he'll wield a sword, he'll have a DownB counter, and so on.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
For the record, I didn't mean to bash Fire Emblem TH or anything. I actually think it's been received quite well and probably deserves a rep more than Fates obviously. Edelgard would be neat, and she could have an axe-based moveset.

But that's not going to happen.
Let's face it, if another FE character comes, it'll be Byleth, he'll wield a sword, he'll have a DownB counter, and so on.
He could try some other attacks based off his class changes. maybe some abilities based off Sothis?

And a one, and a two, and a-

View attachment 239594

Told you I could sing her praises. :happysheep:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
When you have a thread with almost 60,000 posts, there's bound to be off-topic stuff. or atleast that's how I see it. *shrug*

Anyways, I'd totally be down with Edelgard being added in Smash, even if it's Ultimate. I've never really had the "a series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps" mindset...well, not entirely atleast. I mean, I do prefer to see playable reps go to lesser repped series or series with no playable reps at all, for variety's sake, but hey, I won't complain about an already well-repped series getting another character, as long as said character is actually worthwhile or palatable in some way. Even if Mario already has a crapload of characters, I'm not exactly going to throw a fit if Pauline, hypothetically, were made playable, because Pauline is dope. Despite being indifferent to Waluigi, I wouldn't be upset at him being added either, because I know he is a highly desired character in the Smash community. Same thing with Edelgard; yes FE already has alot of reps, but Edelgard is cool and interesting, so screw it, I'd be fine with her inclusion.

I guess to put simply, I don't have a "series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps" mindset but more a "series with alot of reps shouldn't get more reps... unless the character is actually cool"

And tbh, FE having an amount of reps close to that of Mario or Pokemon I don't think is THAT absurd. FE obviously isn't as big as either, but that being said I think it's fair to say that FE has definitely joined the Nintendo big leagues in recent times, and lord does Three Houses only further that with how incredibly successful it has been. Only questionable thing about it is it having more reps than Zelda, but honestly, even as a huge Zelda fan I don't really care that much about FE having more playable characters, the only characters I care about seeing playable are Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Impa. besides, Zelda has more stuff that FE outside of playable reps so there's that atleast.
Honestly, the only gripe I have with this game representation-wise is Fire Emblem having more representation than not only Zelda, but Kirby and Donkey Kong COMBINED. Seriously, what the hell?? There's no defense for that, in my book. It's just wrong.
Also, R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage after being here for three consecutive games. Now that's just unfair. :(

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, the only gripe I have with this game representation-wise is Fire Emblem having more representation than not only Zelda, but Kirby and Donkey Kong COMBINED. Seriously, what the hell?? There's no defense for that, in my book. It's just wrong.
Also, R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage after being here for three consecutive games. Now that's just unfair. :(
Like I've mentioned before, it really comes down to the timing and luck of the draw circumstances that led to Fire Emblem being in its current situation. If you reduce the Marth based characters down to just one fighter, it's only 4 which isn't so bad really. It's just the only franchise to have two Echoes because fans really like those characters and a Roy that the Melee fans refused to let go of haha. I think there's plenty of defense for it overall, it just may not be pleasing to some people.

ZelDan

Smash Master
For me, my gripe with FE representation has never been about it's quantity of characters, but what characters they actually went with and their movesets. Overall, there's just too much redundancy. 3 of 7 characters come from Awakening, all but Robin have a Down-B counter, all of them have swords (even Robin does, despite being more magic-based), 4 characters movesets are pretty identical (Marth, Lucina, and to a lesser extent Roy and Chrom). If FE had 7 characters, but there was more weapon variety, less shared moves, and more games in the series represented (so not having 3 characters from one damn game), i honestly would have no qualms with FE having 7 characters, or even 8 tbh.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
FE fans don't love these characters because of how they play in Smash or how "important" they are compared to other series who lack more representation.

We love these characters because they're damn good characters (Except you :ultcorrinf: go back to your corner)

I think that's part of the appeal people tend to miss here. FE characters are far more beloved for their writing than their classes or fighting styles. It's arguably the most story-driven series of all the playable series on the roster, with obvious honorable mentions like Xenoblade and Persona and the absolute beast of story telling that is Metal Gear.

FE isn't a traditional RPG. At least, in the sense of how it presents itself. It's not open world, and with the odd exception of Hubs and things like Echoes/Gaiden's dungeons. It's mission to mission gameplay, and when it's not, it makes up for it with story. You get really really attached to these guys and girls.

My point is FE is more about the characters themselves than how they fight. Is it a bit overdone in Smash? Probably. Could it use more weapon/fighting style variety? Probably. Is my reasoning an excuse? Probably not. But at the same time there's not a single character there I'd ever dream of getting rid of because I love them that much, and the same can be said for other fans as well.

Except :ultcorrinf:.
Get out, :ultcorrinf:.
(I'm kidding corrin mains/fans please don't attac)

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
FE fans don't love these characters because of how they play in Smash or how "important" they are compared to other series who lack more representation.

We love these characters because they're damn good characters (Except you :ultcorrinf: go back to your corner)

I think that's part of the appeal people tend to miss here. FE characters are far more beloved for their writing than their classes or fighting styles. It's arguably the most story-driven series of all the playable series on the roster, with obvious honorable mentions like Xenoblade and Persona and the absolute beast of story telling that is Metal Gear.

FE isn't a traditional RPG. At least, in the sense of how it presents itself. It's not open world, and with the odd exception of Hubs and things like Echoes/Gaiden's dungeons. It's mission to mission gameplay, and when it's not, it makes up for it with story. You get really really attached to these guys and girls.

My point is FE is more about the characters themselves than how they fight. Is it a bit overdone in Smash? Probably. Could it use more weapon/fighting style variety? Probably. Is my reasoning an excuse? Probably not. But at the same time there's not a single character there I'd ever dream of getting rid of because I love them that much, and the same can be said for other fans as well.

Except :ultcorrinf:.
Get out, :ultcorrinf:.
(I'm kidding corrin mains/fans please don't attac)
i will agree with you on corrin.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I probably won't get anything from my art project done until my day off. The next couple days are gonna be killer. This whole week I have extra hours at work because we're massively understaffed this week. But especially tomorrow since I have a 10 hour shift

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I do have good Geno related news to share, Operation StarFall has reached over 7,500 total unique supporters! That's pretty terrific for only being two months old. Our total outreach across the web is actually pretty great. We just need to keep up the pace and continue to find more fans who share the desire to see our guys return. Nintendo and Square are going to have to address the demand sooner or later. Especially with how fast we will continue to grow. I can't imagine the future being as bleak as years past.

https://twitter.com/opestarfall/status/1177086080484618241

Let's keep at it!

On the topic of Geno for Smash Bros, I think the next wave of Mii Costumes is going to be extremely important. I guarantee you that we will be getting Jackie, Akira and Heihachi's Mii Costumes returning. The only question is if we are going to be receiving 3 unique SNK costumes. If that is the case, we are then down to only four Mii Costumes based on characters from Smash 4 that has yet to return. (Lloyd, Gil, Geno and Chocobo)

What if they can be put in a situation where we receive Lloyd as a playable character (with Gil Costume returning plus other Namco costumes) and Geno as a playable character (with Chocobo hat returning plus other Mario RPG/SE costumes)

That seems to be the only logical way that the remaining costumes that currently have zero representation in Smash Ultimate all return.

Thoughts?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So, Starling is now Eldelgard?
No one has heard anything regarding to starling. A lot of people are just discussing the possibility it could be.

I unfortunately don't know jack about Fire Emblem so I don't know how the bird would associate with her.

I just can't wait for us to find out that the starling all along was something like "King Dedede's Pay To Win Gacha Hell" game that is coming in 2020. Just something nobody was expecting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario-RPG-Enterance.gif

Experimenting with entrance animations. But it's bed time

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
This thread now belongs to the adrestrian empire.

Edit: yeah.. i'm pretty bad at spelling.. point taken T.T

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This thread now belongs to the adestrian empire.

I was already a member of the Adrestian Empire. You can't conquer what's already your domain

dO-THE-mARIO.gif

The Mario Dance

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
eebf900e777e2ef1e983e2522bd023ef.jpg

The empire will not exercise its tyranny on this thread that easily!

Memes aside: I think any of the three lords would make for a great fighter, and having played each of the story routes struggle to pick a favorite...
It's Claude, but Caspar and Ashe are best boys.

We'd inevitably get Blyeth, who would be a lot more boring than Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Fire Emblem is kind of boring and I don't really see the appeal of it. It's a medieval setting with people using swords and shields, magic, flying horses and dragons. If I wanted to play something like that, I'd play Skyrim.

Anyway, Geno... and that's all I've got for Geno since news about him is slow.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on Fire Emblem representation is not how much reps the Series has or how much love the franchise gets it's how much lack of diversity it has almost all of them are sword fighters with no unique gimmick about them (excluding Robin and Corrin of course) when a big thing with Fire Emblem is the weapon triangle and I feel like we should get it represented.

Though I totally wouldn't mind a Three Houses rep as the game is absolutely fantastic and while I disagree with her in Three Houses itself I totally think Edelgard should be the character they choose as it further represents the weapon triangle as she wields an axe alongside magic and stuff which could be unique.

Last thing I want to mention is the "Oh FE has too many reps" to that I say it does not for a series that has a constantly revolving and changing cast of characters I think the way they represent FE is very fair and balanced (though we could use less Awakening reps since it's the only FE game with three characters, Understandably so but it's a bit strange how much focus it gets compared to the others) when compared to other franchises like Kirby, DKC and Zelda it understandably has more characters.

DKC does not have a revolving cast and the last character they can really add before it becomes weird for the franchise is Dixie Kong who realistically would just be an echo of Diddy (though I would prefer a Semi-Clone) and as far as we know we won't get an Echo fighters for DLC so that's likely not happening.

Kirby also does not have a revolving cast of characters and the only one left to add is only Bandanna Dee which probably won't get in unfortunately as I doubt Nintendo would put a focus on BDee out of any 1st party characters and that's if we even get any which I don't think we will beyond maybe a Three Houses Rep and Rex/Pyra.

Finally Zelda is also in the same boat as they don't have a constantly revolving cast of characters so for what it is I think Zelda is represented perfectly fine with only the triforce-wielders though there's nothing wrong with wanting more Zelda characters.

FE has a revolving and ever expanding cast of characters to choose from while most Nintendo franchises don't so it makes sense as to why FE gets so many reps while other franchises don't. Also before I finish, Play Three Houses that game is fantastic. Fire Emblem is fantastic.

D

Deleted member

I do have good Geno related news to share, Operation StarFall has reached over 7,500 total unique supporters! That's pretty terrific for only being two months old. Our total outreach across the web is actually pretty great. We just need to keep up the pace and continue to find more fans who share the desire to see our guys return. Nintendo and Square are going to have to address the demand sooner or later. Especially with how fast we will continue to grow. I can't imagine the future being as bleak as years past.

https://twitter.com/opestarfall/status/1177086080484618241

Let's keep at it!

On the topic of Geno for Smash Bros, I think the next wave of Mii Costumes is going to be extremely important. I guarantee you that we will be getting Jackie, Akira and Heihachi's Mii Costumes returning. The only question is if we are going to be receiving 3 unique SNK costumes. If that is the case, we are then down to only four Mii Costumes based on characters from Smash 4 that has yet to return. (Lloyd, Gil, Geno and Chocobo)

What if they can be put in a situation where we receive Lloyd as a playable character (with Gil Costume returning plus other Namco costumes) and Geno as a playable character (with Chocobo hat returning plus other Mario RPG/SE costumes)

That seems to be the only logical way that the remaining costumes that currently have zero representation in Smash Ultimate all return.

Thoughts?
I don't really see it as a possibility that we'll get different company's Mii outfits with their character except for situations like Banjo where we're getting a competitor's character and there's a combination of licensing costs and someone wants to put a limit on how much Nintendo's advertising a competitor's game.

I don't think we're necessarily guaranteed to get every Mii costume back. Jackie, Akira and Heihachi might not have been popular mii costumes and Nintendo might not feel the need to license the characters for Mii costumes that only a handful of fans will buy. Akira's an assist trophy now, so maybe that's as much as Sega wants him to be.

Oh, and Mega Man.EXE's Mii costume and the Monster Hunter armor are still missing, too. So if we assume that we have to get every outfit back, we're still missing 6.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hey, I wonder if a Monster Hunter character could make DLC.
I couldn't find a source for this but I remember reading somewhere that Capcom considers the monsters the real stars of the game which is why they're not too hot on the idea of a playable hunter. This would at least explain why we got the Rathalos boss fight despite not having a playable MH character.
Doesn't explain why the Mii costumes are still missing though. Maybe MHW's huge success made them change their mind? I'd be more than down for the hunter.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I couldn't find a source for this but I remember reading somewhere that Capcom considers the monsters the real stars of the game which is why they're not too hot on the idea of a playable hunter. This would at least explain why we got the Rathalos boss fight despite not having a playable MH character.
Doesn't explain why the Mii costumes are still missing though. Maybe MHW's huge success made them change their mind? I'd be more than down for the hunter.
Couldn't they scale down one of the monsters and make them playable, like Ridley?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well guys, last night I had a dream that Geno was in fact confirmed for Smash. I remember consistently not believing it and being like "this is all a dream, it's too good to be true". Then I woke up, and of course, Geno is still not in Smash. :(

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Well guys, last night I had a dream that Geno was in fact confirmed for Smash. I remember consistently not believing it and being like "this is all a dream, it's too good to be true". Then I woke up, and of course, Geno is still not in Smash. :(
Now watch Geno get confirmed in November. Watch it happen.

D

Deleted member

I've had three dreams that he'll be in since Terry was revealed. Never once had a dream of Geno in Smash before that. Also Spring Man was playable for some reason?

Clearly our souls know the truth.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I had a dream of a triple reveal at the Game Awards of Bandana Dee, Shadow, and Geno.
I was mad when I woke up
especially since I barely have dreams and don't get much sleep (insomnia sucks)
I wish that that will happened

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Can you imagine if they revealed multiple characters as a way to end the Fighter's Pass?

Like hey... here's DLC 5... Terry out now... plus bonus #2.... also!!!!! Here's a preview of DLC 7!!!!!! Would be an awesome way to end the Fighter's Pass... but maybe I'm a little too hopeful. Literally followed by Sakurai's "Don't ask me for anything ever again" meme.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking about dreams, a while ago I had a dream that Waluigi got into smash even though he's a character I don't particularly care about (he's still cool though). And then Geno got revealed too, but his hat and cape weren't blue and yellow, they were red and white. But not like Christmas colors, they more like clown colors. And he was acting like a crazy psychopath, like most evil clown people in video games. And all of this wasn't happening during a Nintendo Direct, this was happening randomly when I was playing Three Houses, I just thought it was some cutscene at first and then Waluigi popped up. Then I woke up and I was very confused.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
My thoughts on Fire Emblem representation is not how much reps the Series has or how much love the franchise gets it's how much lack of diversity it has almost all of them are sword fighters with no unique gimmick about them (excluding Robin and Corrin of course) when a big thing with Fire Emblem is the weapon triangle and I feel like we should get it represented.

Though I totally wouldn't mind a Three Houses rep as the game is absolutely fantastic and while I disagree with her in Three Houses itself I totally think Edelgard should be the character they choose as it further represents the weapon triangle as she wields an axe alongside magic and stuff which could be unique.

Last thing I want to mention is the "Oh FE has too many reps" to that I say it does not for a series that has a constantly revolving and changing cast of characters I think the way they represent FE is very fair and balanced (though we could use less Awakening reps since it's the only FE game with three characters, Understandably so but it's a bit strange how much focus it gets compared to the others) when compared to other franchises like Kirby, DKC and Zelda it understandably has more characters.

DKC does not have a revolving cast and the last character they can really add before it becomes weird for the franchise is Dixie Kong who realistically would just be an echo of Diddy (though I would prefer a Semi-Clone) and as far as we know we won't get an Echo fighters for DLC so that's likely not happening.

Kirby also does not have a revolving cast of characters and the only one left to add is only Bandanna Dee which probably won't get in unfortunately as I doubt Nintendo would put a focus on BDee out of any 1st party characters and that's if we even get any which I don't think we will beyond maybe a Three Houses Rep and Rex/Pyra.

Finally Zelda is also in the same boat as they don't have a constantly revolving cast of characters so for what it is I think Zelda is represented perfectly fine with only the triforce-wielders though there's nothing wrong with wanting more Zelda characters.

FE has a revolving and ever expanding cast of characters to choose from while most Nintendo franchises don't so it makes sense as to why FE gets so many reps while other franchises don't. Also before I finish, Play Three Houses that game is fantastic. Fire Emblem is fantastic.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Ericthegamerman also brought up the rather bizarre and convenient set of circumstances that led to the representation that FE now has in Smash. These are beloved characters from a very successful Nintendo franchise that unfortunately puts a lot of emphasis on swords over the many other weapons and methods of attacks such as magic and ballistae and things like mounts that makes FE so varied and incredibly interesting and fun. But with all the swordies Smash already had people were still championing for Chrom's inclusion which goes to show how there is a significant group of people who love the character more than the unique mechanics they could bring.

Pokemon is in a similar situation with an enormous varying cast of which many people become attached to many of them for one reason or another although Pokemon doesn't come close to FE's storytelling. Pokemon, however, has a little more variability in terms of the kind of movesets it can bring to Smash.

I admit that I am scarred by anime sword fighters and was someone who loved the idea of Robin over Chrom in Smash even though I liked Chrom as a character (I do wish that Robin used magic in a lot more of their attacks tho and still feel that the roster needs more dedicated spellcasters). But I do think that FE deserves that much representation and I just wish there were more prominent characters like Hector, Sothe, Micaiah Edelgard, and Ephiram who use weapons other than standard swords and had those set of circumstances that got them into Smash. But honestly at this point I can't say I would be happy to see any of the FE characters leave Smash except for maybe Chrom personally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I understand that; however, rotating cast or no, I just don't think a series like Fire Emblem should have double the rep of some of Nintendo's most iconic and relevant series. And while you might have a point with proper DK representation ending with Dixie (although I'd still like to see Cranky and/or Funky get in at some point), I'd argue there are a lot more options for a Kirby rep than just BWD (Marx, Magolor, Dark Matter, etc.), even if he makes the most sense out of all of them. Kirby has a lot of good characters that would work well in Smash to the point that they could add any of them and I'd be excited regardless of who it is.
And while I agree that Zelda is represented fine with the Triforce Trio since the series kind of lacks major recurring characters outside of that (mostly bit players like Tingle and Kaepora Gaebora on that front), the fact that it has less overall rep than Fire Emblem, even if we consider alternative forms of representation like stages and music, is just laughable to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom