• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
So....if geno isn’t fp character five...

I don’t know why but i get the feeling he’ll be announced the same day smrpg for switch online is...and that day I have a feeling is gonna be on the anniversary of it’s original release day in japan, or the very least the month...

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
You know, seeing the Terry trailer go with it's classic look really makes me wonder what they could do with a Geno trailer using SMRPG assets, especially with how expressive that game can be. I doubt that will be the case, as that could be seen as rather unoriginal after Terry just did it(Plus, whatever Sakurai and co comes up with will probably be even better), but it's still fun to think about.
I wonder if Mallow could come with Geno too.
I mean, I know Sakurai wants to bring it all, I think he would try to add Geno AND Mallow at the same time. Could you imagine?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, I know Sakurai wants to bring it all, I think he would try to add Geno AND Mallow at the same time. Could you imagine?
Maybe this is heresy here, but I’m only remotely interested in Mallow if there are like 30 additional characters coming to Ultimate. He’s never taken me the same way Geno has and I’m far more interested in other series to ever consider him. I’m not sure he even breaks my top 5 of wanted Mario characters, let alone my top 5 Smash options.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Not really, though I COULD see Mallow assisting for Geno's grabs a la Rope Snake.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Maybe this is heresy here, but I’m only remotely interested in Mallow if there are like 30 additional characters coming to Ultimate. He’s never taken me the same way Geno has and I’m far more interested in other series to ever consider him. I’m not sure he even breaks my top 5 of wanted Mario characters, let alone my top 5 Smash options.
Yeah. I know I've always been a bit lukewarm about Geno, since I was lukewarm about SMRPG, but I can say for certainty that he does have something that makes him a cut above the rest. Mallow is a silly, clueless character whose charm is radiant in the game, but I'm uncertain how that charm could be maintained in Ultimate, if at all.

Got Greninja'd by Mike here, but he actually raises a good point! Perhaps Geno represents the Mario RPG game like how Game and Watch is represented through Mr. Game and Watch. He's the base character, but with respect to some of his friends, they could contribute to his attacks.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Glad everyone is back on board and in high spirits (hehehe). I got Sans and decided his canon fighting voice is the Mii gunner voice 3 deep option. Anyone else get him and pick something different?

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t a Geno smash remix get taken down as well? I remember people where talking about a Banjo Geno and Golden sun remix getting taken down before people brought up sans.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Glad everyone is back on board and in high spirits (hehehe). I got Sans and decided his canon fighting voice is the Mii gunner voice 3 deep option. Anyone else get him and pick something different?
I chose Voice 5, low. Mainly because one of his grunts sounds like Patrick.
One of the voices also sounds like Ness, which I used before the costume.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Voice 9, low pitch.
So, was the Starling thing a hint for Terry's franchise symbol or not?
View attachment 237059
>Terry has a star on his jacket
>He's also a small birb
Crap, you may be right.

D

Deleted member

Mallow is really a bottom of the barrel character in my opinion, too. I don't know what exactly it is about him, but my opinion is very sour towards him. His character in Mario RPG always struck me as obnoxious and it's really hard to believe the level of outright stupidity it would take for him to really, honestly believe that he's a frog. He only really shines when he's the best wingman you've got, but as soon as you pick up Bowser and Peach his usefulness runs out. Design wise, he's very much a Mario character, but in terms of writing and game balance, he bleeds the worst of mid 90s Square.

We'd have to have a nearly 200 man roster by the time I thought he'd be a decent fit for Smash, and inflammatory as it may sound, I really don't want him being a part of Geno's moveset in any way. It wouldn't ruin it for me, but I'd feel a little robbed, since Geno stands on his own as a solid character without having to shoehorn in a comic relief sidekick.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Main reason I wouldn't mind Mallow is we need more mage/caster type characters.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm hearing people... dissing Mallow...?

THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS! :mad088:

(I'm kidding, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I personally love him just as much as Geno, though.)

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I knew the Megalovania take down would lead to something, AND IT MOST CERTAINLY DID!! Though I didn't expect the Sans Mii Costume to be the reason, but technically Frisk is still in the running just like Moster Hunter since both of those series now have representation in Ultimate. I'm crossing my fingers really tight for Geno to be the 5th fighter because keep in mind guys that Geno could show up at ANY MOMENT but so can his Mii Costume. It's like a 50/50 chance so we gotta keep our voices up LOUD AND PROUD for the real one!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Mallow is cute! cute!
I wouldn't mind it being part of Geno's moveset or as Stage Hazard, but I want to see him in Smash regardless.
IMO Recieving Geno yet alone, would feel amazing and odd for me..

ZelDan

Smash Master
It took me a while to even open up to the idea of Geno getting into Smash. I really don't care one way or another if Mallow joins Geno or not.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So.

The dream is revived.
THAT, good sir or madam, would have implied that it died to begin with.
So who is ready to descend into speculation hell during this 2-3 dry spell of information?

I give it a week before we become Mad Max. I’ll get my junk car ready.
Why aer you saying 2-3 days? We just had an announcement, we should be looking towards Nov
I mean nothing’s preventing them from adding more, as Dragon Ball FighterZ added some slots that weren’t there before lately
How lately? When did this happen? I need to know if this was for the second pass or even more slots after that

Shantae, Geno, Rayman, BWD, Imagine one of those breaking the "Spirits can't be DLC Characters" fanrule going around since the very beginning.
I really want one of'em to happen right after the #5 ;3
This fan-rule never held weight in the first place. There's a reason why it was a constant argument and it never budged past 'maybe, maybe not'. However, now it's just broken, because the whole idea was that the the Fighter's Pass was for franchises not yet represented in any way, but now with future DLC all bets are off.

D

Deleted member

Lets have Geno, Mallow AND Boshi.
I don't really see how a blue Yoshi with sunglasses and a spike collar, so basically "Cool Yoshi" isn't Nintendo's property in the first place. I get Geno and Mallow, but if SquareEnix owns Boshi, everyone on Deviantart owns their Yoshi OC.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't really see how a blue Yoshi with sunglasses and a spike collar, so basically "Cool Yoshi" isn't Nintendo's property in the first place. I get Geno and Mallow, but if SquareEnix owns Boshi, everyone on Deviantart owns their Yoshi OC.
Copyright is a strange thing.

Square apparently owns Megasmilax and some other unique versions of Mario enemies as well.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I guess I'll put my prediction for future fighters here since this continues to be a Smash Bros home for me:

Keep in mind, despite numbering the characters, I don't think the additional fighters will necessarily be in this order:
  • Fighter's Pass #5 - Ryu Hayabusa: I've already been over Hayabusa and why I'll think he'll happen, so I'll keep it short. Koei Tecmo does a ton for Nintendo these days, he's a NES icon that successfully transitioned to a fairly well beloved modern day incarnation, and people have heard rumblings of him. Koei is also the only major Japanese publisher really missing at this point. So I think he rounds out the Fighter's Pass.

• Extra Character #1 - Xenoblade Character (Elma, Rex/Pyra, Whoever): Rex/Pyra missed the boat for base game and with how Xenoblade Chronicles seems to be doing these days, I think we're going to see another character before everything is said and done. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was really the sort of push I needed to go in on this idea seeing as it was positioned as a major release and will mark the technically third (counting Tora as its own thing since it released standalone) Xenoblade on Switch, with the distinct possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles X port also down the road I'm imagine. Nintendo's really pushing this brand and people really seem to support another character in Smash, so I think this might finally happen now that there are more characters. I would think Nintendo would want another advertising character in, but I don't think Sakurai will go for another Fire Emblem character, so they'll turn to Xenoblade.

• Extra Character #2 - Geno: I don't really need to explain too much here I don't think. Sakurai wants him, the fans want him, Square Enix already has their biggest two series out of the way and in Smash, and the Geno Mii costume just hasn't shown up at all. I think Sakurai definitely will make another request happen with additional fighters on the table, and Geno just seems primed for that position in many ways. I think if he goes the route of another Fighter's Pass, Geno would be the character in the Banjo & Kazooie position so to speak. I know everybody who has a fan favorite will say this, but I'm really hopeful about Geno's chances right now haha.

• Extra Character #3 - Travis Touchdown: I started thinking about who hadn't made it into Smash from Japanese developers since Sakurai always tends to focus more on them than Western developers. I realized one of the more notable development studios and developers to not be involved in Smash in anyway was Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture. We know that Suda and Sakurai are in contact (I think friends? but I'm not certain on that, Suda is given a special thanks in Ultimate's credits though!), and we know that Suda wants Travis in Smash. Here's Source Gaming's interview with Suda that pushes me over the edge with this prediction: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/05/26/straight-from-the-source-goichi-suda-no-more-heroes/. With the recent release of Travis Strikes Again, and the upcoming release of No More Heroes III, both exclusive to Switch and the sort of underground fan base that has always existed for Suda and No More Heroes in the Nintendo community, I think Travis comes to Smash.

• Extra Character #4 - Crash Bandicoot: In terms of classic gaming icons, Crash Bandicoot is definitely one of the bigger icons not currently in Smash. He's a classic character from the PS1 era that was pretty damn popular in both Japan and the West. He's become one of the more requested fighters for Smash basically overnight, and he's in the middle of a huge renaissance as a character thanks to the N'Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled remakes, both of which released to great sales on Switch (The N'Sane Trilogy is the second best selling third party Switch game as of May 2019, only behind the third party game that has freaking Mario in it: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lling_third-party_switch_games_as_of_may_2019). The only issue with Crash is that he belongs to Activision... BUT, we saw them willing to work together for Bowser and Donkey Kong figures in Skylanders, so I'm going to take that as a good sign of what could happen with regards to Crash. He's also a Western character, so that puts him in a tougher position (again, the way Sakurai talked about Western stuff in the most recent Banjo & Kazooie analysis video has made me more approach Western characters with more trepidation), but I do think he would be one of the characters that could most easily over come that obstacle.

• Extra Character #5 - Capcom Character (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, or Dante): Capcom has so many damn IPs that are legendary around the world, and half of them get decent support for Smash. As the third party that has contributed pretty much the most to Smash (only being beaten by Sega because they got a third fighter in DLC), I suspect there going to be up for more crossovers, and these characters are on fire right now with the great titles released in the past couple of years and they all provide potential to continue going with the crossover motif of new universes to add into Smash. I have no idea which one gets picked given that they have various reasons to win out over another, but Capcom just has such a crazy number of IPs that it's really hard for me to not see another one happening before everything is said and done.
I'm actually cutting off predictions there because I'm not certain if they'll fill all the remaining spots, so I cut this list to a handful I would predict as having some of the best chance to get into Smash (though not necessarily my absolute most wanteds or favorites, except Geno of course). There are some notable characters that I didn't include that I briefly wanted to touch upon:

• Doom Slayer - His games don't do super well in Japan, and despite all the DOOM buzz that's going on right now and seemingly in favor of his inclusion, I've started to reassess his likelihood. I wouldn't be surprised to see him, but my confidence has fallen in his inclusion.
  • Sora - He's always going to be in the periphery and we have no idea if he's also held up because of rights or not. He's in a super weird position and kind of always will be, but I still haven't seen anything for me to think of him as more likely.
  • Bandai-Namco Character - We're currently eight additional third party characters removed from Pac-Man's inclusion and we haven't seen them return once. I definitely think it's possible one might get in say from Tekken, Soul Calibur, or even Dark Souls... but I'm just honestly doubting one as being any sort of priority.
  • Bandanna Dee - I don't Sakurai has an inherent bias against later Kirby stuff, but I do think he just doesn't consider it an absolute priority to be represented. He's a big fan request though, and if we do end up not getting stages with characters, I think his likelihood jumps dramatically. He almost made the list as is though, so he could easily be on there as well.
  • Waluigi, Isaac, Bomberman, etc. (Assist Trophies in general) - So, I debated with myself on this topic and I decided I was going to wait to see on assist trophies. Waluigi got a lot of vocal outcry, as did Isaac, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an Assist Trophy get the full upgrade... but these characters do have defined roles and models of a decent magnitude in Ultimate, so I'm curious to see how Sakurai treats them and if we'll see more than one (I really doubt we're going to see more than one or two get upgraded at best though). For the sake of discussion, I'm just not going to include them yet, but patiently waiting to be proven wrong on this point and see what Sakurai does.
  • Professor Layton - Level 5 is another arguably big developer in Japan without a character, and Layton would likely be the obvious choice unless Yokai-Watch gets another big return. But then Level 5 is moving on from the Professor Layton character and the series was once far more popular than it is now. So, I ended up not including Layton or any other Level 5 rep.
  • ARMS Rep - My bias is probably showing, but I just don't expect ARMS in Smash and nothing's changed my mind on that front. If ARMS 2 gets announced or something, then this changes significantly.
  • Steve - No Mii costume was also good for him... but Steve has quickly become much less talked about and less of a factor in speculation after not being a huge one beforehand. Minecraft is still huge and in a bit of a resurgence... but I'm just not really sure what to make of a character's chances at this point. Sakurai does like Minecraft after all!
  • Dixie Kong - Another entry that becomes more likely without further stage DLC. She's very similar to how I see Bandanna Dee in that she might happen, but also might not. She's a good choice if Sakurai wants to add a fairly popular female character, but Donkey Kong also just hasn't had anything new recently and nothing is really on the horizon for the series, so we'll see.

There's more I could address, but those were the main ones I was thinking of when making this list. If we get more characters than five new ones, you can take several out of the "Don't Know" section and apply them to the predictions. If you've somehow read this entirely too long of a post, you have my thanks haha.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Reimu Hakurei is one of the wild cards I'm horribly unqualified to predict about. She's apparently huge in Japan on the indie scene... but I know nothing about the Touhou games or her popularity/influence, so I'm just not going to put her anywhere in my predictions besides a slight acknowledgement. It's possible she blindsides a whole bunch of people by being a fighter, but who knows?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Remember when we said August was a long period since we all knew there would be a Nintendo Direct in September.

With Terry being released sometime in November ... that is when we will get another "Sakurai Video."

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Remember when we said August was a long period since we all knew there would be a Nintendo Direct in September.

With Terry being released sometime in November ... that is when we will get another "Sakurai Video."
Eh, I feel like we got plenty of stuff to hold us over until Terry gets broken down. The anxiety about the end of the Fighter's Pass has generally been quelled with the announcement of more fighters, we just got Banjo & Kazooie alongside Sans of all things (admittedly in a Mii costume, but still!) and Home Run Contest. We know Terry is coming and we know a month this time. It just feels like a good time to be a Smash fan all around.

My only concern is that we might have another Joker situation on our hands come November where Terry ends up released but we don't know who the last fighter turns out to be, and I know how well people would take that haha.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So guys, I had an idea for Geno's reveal trailer and it's just speculation, really. You know how Terry's stopped on the SNES, then off to the side? What if it went to do that again, however, it actually stops on the SNES? We then see the Smash letter fly down from the sky and towards a house where it comes in and lands on the floor. Offscreen, a flash of light can be seen and then a hand reaches down and picks it up, sort of feeling like the Terry Bogard trailer. It holds it before the screen (ala Duck Hunt trailer) turns to CGI and Geno proudly holds the letter as the words "Geno Shines Again!" splashes onto the screen.

I wish this could be how they did it

Also, I love the idea of the announcement being "Geno Shines Again."

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
One thing that has me thinking is now that more DLC fighters are on the way, is Nintendo actually going to keep doing CGI (or whatever you want to call Joker and Terry's) trailers when the Fighter's Pass is done, or are they going to go back to the Piranha Plant/Smash 4 style trailers where it's just gameplay? If it's the latter, then I really hope Geno is Fighter #5 because I want CGI Geno.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
One thing that has me thinking is now that more DLC fighters are on the way, is Nintendo actually going to keep doing CGI (or whatever you want to call Joker and Terry's) trailers when the Fighter's Pass is done, or are they going to go back to the Piranha Plant/Smash 4 style trailers where it's just gameplay? If it's the latter, then I really hope Geno is Fighter #5 because I want CGI Geno.
I say 50/50

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
If no more cgi trailers gets us even one more character than we would otherwise, then I'm all for no more cgi trailers.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have to wonder, if Geno gets in, what will his unlock conditions for WoL be? They could easily be the same as the other characters (x amount of fights beaten), but what if you have to beat his hard as hell spirit battle to actually get him?

I think that'd be a really neat way of unlocking him or any possible spirit promotions.

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606
Well I haven't drawn in about a year, and I've been kicking myself for stopping, so I figured I'd get somethin together for the whole email initiative
598582A2-FD3D-4464-AC2E-A0645B3A0DE9.jpeg

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I have to wonder, if Geno gets in, what will his unlock conditions for WoL be? They could easily be the same as the other characters (x amount of fights beaten), but what if you have to beat his hard as hell spirit battle to actually get him?

I think that'd be a really neat way of unlocking him or any possible spirit promotions.
Do you just mean actually playing Geno in World of Light, or just in general? The first I could support (especially because there's now a Very Easy for people who just want it over with), whereas in general I imagine would be incredibly unpopular.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you just mean actually playing Geno in World of Light, or just in general? The first I could support (especially because there's now a Very Easy for people who just want it over with), whereas in general I imagine would be incredibly unpopular.
Oh, no, no, I mean just WoL, not in general. It would be silly to do that for a general unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom