• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong about the music strikes. I thought it was just random, and while the chance is still there for the SMRPG take downs to be random, the fact that they're so specific, directly removed by Nintendo (not Square), AND the timing of WHEN they were taken down...

Even my cynical, realistic thinking has changed to suspicion.
I mean, at some point things stop being coincidences and start being patterns.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the table is being set pretty well Geno:

-No assist trophy or Mii costume and the logical timeframe for him to be revealed as one is now more than a month behind us.
-Geno being a legendary spirit and player icon shows they're well aware of how much the character is liked and wanted.
-SNES games now on the Switch virtual console meaning Geno + SMRPG on the Switch on the same day is a natural combo.
-The fact that they said that the bonus DLC is already in development gives strong evidence that they already had certain characters in mind.

Yeah, I think we're in a pretty good spot right now. Not to get peoples' hopes up but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Geno was one of the first bonus DLC characters based on these factors.
Not only that, but apparently a few months(?) ago Nintendo of all companies took a Megalovania remix down on YouTube. Lo and behold it's in Smash now!

You know who else just had 2 songs removed by Nintendo from YouTube not long ago? :)

PhaseDistorter

Smash Rookie
Geno has some wind in his sails again. After a while I thought his chances were pretty low, but these song takedowns happened specifically to Banjo and Undertale content, things that both got represented in Ultimate.

Its very possible Geno's Mii costume could return with Beware the Forest Mushrooms, but the Boss song too? I'd say that points to him being a character more than anything.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
One is intriguing, but two is suspicious. If we get this as three, then... yeah, it'll be safe to call it a pattern.
The music strikes, the triva question, the missing Mii costume, having a splash screen for the Mii costume, the damn basic premise of spirit mode related to Geno, the SMRPG references, the Team Mallow or Team Geno tweet (both after years of NO references to SMRPG), Sakurai acknowledging the fan response, Sakurai being a fan.

The more that comes out, the chances of it being a concidence is low.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It would be fitting if Geno ends up being announced as the 7th DLC fighter, or more specifically, the 1st DLC fighter of what could be a Fighter Pass 2. Not only would his number align with the Seven stars in SMRPG, but considering when the next DLC fighter after the current Pass has ended (March 2020) could release, would align perfectly with a potential announcement of SMRPG being added to the SNES NSO library.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Here's a video by Maximilian Dood both reacting to Terry, while also having an interesting discussion of future DLC. The most interesting points he brings up are:

1. Early in the Switch's lifespan many old SNK games were released on the eShop and sold like hotcakes, which may have been where interest and talks about Terry coming to smash began
2. There is no truly impossible character that Sakurai could bring in at this point
3. The Tokyo Game Show is coming up in December, about a month before the theoretical window that character 5 would fall into (his guess is Monster Hunter due to the development of an exclusive game for the switch)

Conclusion: point #1 proves that exposure of even older titles matters. #2 is something we've already discussed here. I haven't really seen #3 talked about though, a reveal at TGS (most likely through a direct) seems somewhat reasonable
I posted this in the Isaac thread, but thought you guys would be interested in it too

Firox

Smash Master
I'm calling it right now. Geno is going to be the "Banjo-Kazooie" of the next fighters pass.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Pretty happy for you guys. If just the pass was the be-all end-all for DLC I’d think Geno was a near impossibility. But with more confirmed, that does make his chances seem a lot better in the long run. Don’t know how long it may take, but there’s a much greater chance that they might actually upgrade Spirits down the line based on extreme fan demand if they can (and if they renogitiate with SE given they’d need to give the a-ok on that in the end). Geno has always been in the most precarious spot of being outdated a one-shot side character, 3rd-party owned, and even already utilized in the game, but the decision to continue DLC specifically to appeal to fans is a good omen- he’s by far the biggest remaining demand of the community as a whole, and that’d be how you appeal to the fans.

Best of luck to you guys.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Seen a couple people trying to downplay the music-claim thing because Nintendo apparently also copyright-struck Fortnite music, but, well... it turns out that that might just be for another game.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Seen a couple people trying to downplay the music-claim thing because Nintendo apparently also copyright-struck Fortnite music, but, well... it turns out that that might just be for another game. [twitter]1169426618063970304[/twitter]
On one hand, if true, this helps us out very much in regard to the SNRPG music take downs.
On the other, Splatoon might be crossing over with Fortnite.

Worth it..?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Gotta admit, I’ve thought Geno was dead in the water for a while now, but with more DLC being confirmed I could honestly see him being a frontrunner. I don’t know how long you guys will have to wait, but it really does seem like a Sakurai move to sneak in a seemingly impossible character asked for since Brawl, in his last hurrah.

Personally I’m holding onto hope for Waluigi because he’s the only character left I really want, but I wish you all luck! Seeing an HD Geno with full motion would be something to behold.

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
As Sakurai said that the new DLC fighters are now in development, doesn't that mean they're already decided?

D

Deleted member

Thanks everyone! As a reminder ... of course i must plug this in:

With the announcement of more DLC fighters for Smash, there is still a chance for Geno! In collaboration with Operation Starfall, I am starting a writing campaign for this month to send to Nintendo, Square and Sakurai (If possible). We need support!

Please send an email to smashultimatedlc@gmail.com in support for Geno.

The guidelines are pretty simple:

1.) KEEP THE MESSAGE CLEAN AND RESPECTFUL - However you want to write your message in support of Geno, please, it must be without vulgar, hateful speech or any other form of negativity.

2.) GENO SUPPORT - In your message, feel free to talk about how much you want to have Geno in Smash. Talk about the history you have with Geno in Mario RPG. Or, how about your support throughout the years to get him in. The focus is all about Geno getting into Smash!

3.) ATTACHMENTS - If you have any artwork or other attachments you would want, please send it! Similar guidelines with how the message needs to be. Clean and respectful.

At the end of the campaign we will print out these messages, artwork, etc and send it to the parties. We have the address for both Nintendo and Square's US office. We will keep trying for Sora Limited, AKA Sakurai.

With your support we can keep Geno in the spotlight and hopefully get him in with the next round of DLC!
Alrighty! I sent in an email and hopefully we can get Geno! Obviously just cause we did that it doesn't mean we will 100% get Geno but we need to make our voices heard while we still can and by golly I'll do what I can.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Gotta admit, I’ve thought Geno was dead in the water for a while now, but with more DLC being confirmed I could honestly see him being a frontrunner. I don’t know how long you guys will have to wait, but it really does seem like a Sakurai move to sneak in a seemingly impossible character asked for since Brawl, in his last hurrah.

Personally I’m holding onto hope for Waluigi because he’s the only character left I really want, but I wish you all luck! Seeing an HD Geno with full motion would be something to behold.
A fellow Waluigi fan who supports Geno I see.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As Sakurai said that the new DLC fighters are now in development, doesn't that mean they're already decided?
Possibly, but it also could mean a variety of things too. It could be even just the discussion or beginning of reaching out the third party developers.

Also, keep in mind, not saying we are getting another Fighters Pass, but it could be a "batch" of DLC fighters, a lot like Smash 4 were it could be individual fighters or groups.

There could even be more too in the future, since we know it takes about 8 months to develop a character, so it is still essential to make ourselves heard!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Pretty happy for you guys. If just the pass was the be-all end-all for DLC I’d think Geno was a near impossibility. But with more confirmed, that does make his chances seem a lot better in the long run. Don’t know how long it may take, but there’s a much greater chance that they might actually upgrade Spirits down the line based on extreme fan demand if they can (and if they renogitiate with SE given they’d need to give the a-ok on that in the end). Geno has always been in the most precarious spot of being outdated a one-shot side character, 3rd-party owned, and even already utilized in the game, but the decision to continue DLC specifically to appeal to fans is a good omen- he’s by far the biggest remaining demand of the community as a whole, and that’d be how you appeal to the fans.

Best of luck to you guys.
Lmao how is Geno outdated?

Possibly, but it also could mean a variety of things too. It could be even just the discussion or beginning of reaching out the third party developers.

Also, keep in mind, not saying we are getting another Fighters Pass, but it could be a "batch" of DLC fighters, a lot like Smash 4 were it could be individual fighters or groups.

There could even be more too in the future, since we know it takes about 8 months to develop a character, so it is still essential to make ourselves heard!

I think from the way it was worded and the speech that Sakurai gave regarding it and working on SSBU I have a feeling it’s going to stretch out farther than just another FP would’ve. He knows getting so many characters in a future installment would be near impossible so it seems like he wants to load SSBU with as much content as possible. Or at least that’s the impression I got.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I bet they are in the early concept phase. Art mockups, moveset proposals, and maybe even as far as kit bashing from other characters for testing concepts.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some, probably. Sakurai has said that characters on average take about 10 months to a year to develop so they probably already had a couple in mind and were actively working on several before yesterday's presentation.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
One is intriguing, but two is suspicious. If we get this as three, then... yeah, it'll be safe to call it a pattern.
There's still an issue with the Super Mario RPG music though, namely that "Megalovania" was content presented as Smash Bros. that was taken down and that it hasn't rippled across multiple uploads. Only BrawlBRSTm3's uploads of Super Mario RPG music was hit, and not only had his uploads previously been targeted by Nintendo for months ongoing, but then his entire channel was effectively nuked from existence shortly thereafter. Like I've copyright claims are rarely ever in the favor of the uploader, so there's unfortunately precedent set to where Nintendo can claim things that they don't legally own and still get it taken down, especially when Mario is involved (the people checking copyright claims, if not just automated, would likely see Nintendo claiming Mario and not think twice about that as often as Nintendo comes claiming their games and related content).

"Megalovania," on the other hand was specifically a remix presented as Smash Bros material. While Nintendo may have some authority in taking it down from the standpoint that they legitimately have the licensing (or rights depending on the specifics) to a remix of "Megalovania," they also still want to copyright claim it to avoid confusion and to preserve the brand. They would likely hit any content that positions itself as Smash material. The two Super Mario RPG tunes were not presented as such, so that actually creates a different situation regarding how these things are handled and how they relate. But more importantly, if Nintendo had some sort of more specific goal in mind, they would have gone further in taking down versions of these songs. As it stands, both the songs are available on multiple YouTube channels, with versions that have been up for years with thousands of views.

I know people want to treat the two songs as a smoking gun that Geno is in, but I don't think it's nearly as revealing as some people want it to be. Geno still has a great chance without this specific set of circumstances relating to his inclusion now that more DLC is confirmed though. I'm definitely more open to the idea of it meaning something, but there's a lot of complications in the comparisons to the "Megalovania" situation that I want us to keep in mind before we call it a pattern.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I bet they are in the early concept phase. Art mockups, moveset proposals, and maybe even as far as kit bashing from other characters for testing concepts.
I could see them already having the first bonus character already worked on along with their cgi trailer to accompany whatever direct discusses character 5.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I still wonder about a surprise reveal after the final Fighter's Pass character is revealed, especially with the announcement of more DLC. Kind of like E3 we got Hero revealed and Banjo at the end.

Not saying "bonus" per say as in a freebie, but just a surprise announcement. I wonder that as well with the whole "budget" comment. From getting things done and no problem months ago to "pinching pennies."

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I could see them already having the first bonus character already worked on along with a cgi trailer to accompany whatever direct discusses character 5.
I absolutely agree. Honestly, based upon the presentation with Banjo & Kazooie, they are almost certainly deeper into development of the first extra character. Sakurai was working on the first three fighters back in December 2018 alongside the first fixes needed for stability and online and Stage Builder, Video Editor, and all the sharing content. Since he seems to be finished with extra modes (again, I'm really sad about this, but super happy with what we got), he presumably can devote more to characters and we've seen that Terry seems really far along in development (even more so if the Terry footage we saw was actually recorded the same day as the presentation for Banjo & Kazooie, which was filmed in July for crying out loud). He's almost definitely keeping the three characters at a time, so Terry should be approaching finished status, #5 and our first new character should be pretty deep in development (as in, beyond planning at least).

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Honestly, I would be fine with a Geno T-pose, ala Mewtwo in Sm4sh ... lol.

But hopefully ALL DLC fighters get Amiibo. If Geno is indeed a fighter, I must have multiple amiibos of him.

BerBer456

Smash Rookie
I am going t take a break from the smash boards for a little while as I need to work on my manga projects, but just know I really think geno and possibly Isaac will come. It’s amazing to have so much hope again and only time will tell how this pans out. Best of luck to you guys. I’m rooting for you.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am going t take a break from the smash boards for a little while as I need to work on my manga projects, but just know I really think geno and possibly Isaac will come. It’s amazing to have so much hope again and only time will tell how this pans out. Best of luck to you guys. I’m rooting for you.
Before you take your break, please send in your support at smashultimatedlc@gmail.com!

And best wishes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, at some point things stop being coincidences and start being patterns.
The argument for a pattern would be a little more viable if there was a pattern of Nintendo specifically taking that song down. BtFM is still up on SilvaGunner's channel. It's still up on another account from BrawlBRSTguy. The channel that had it removed was one which Nintendo frequently targeted and eventually was shut down. Even the owner said it was common for Nintendo to strike a couple songs so as to let him know to take down the playlist. Yet we're not speculating over any of those other games.

People are looking at the two SMRPG songs and Megalovania in a vacuum. It's easy to form patterns when you omit all the examples of Nintendo taking down music that doesn't aid the narrative.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, I would be fine with a Geno T-pose, ala Mewtwo in Sm4sh ... lol.

But hopefully ALL DLC fighters get Amiibo. If Geno is indeed a fighter, I must have multiple amiibos of him.
I mean, the T-pose would give us a confirmation, but it just wouldn't be as hype as a proper reveal. It worked for Mewtwo since he was the first DLC character and everything, but that's one of those things where we can do better these days so we should haha.

Also, lol at Smash Bros for keeping the Amiibo dream alive when Nintendo has abandoned them pretty much everywhere else (Isn't Link's Awakening the only new Amiibo for the rest of the year outside of Smash and it's just the one?)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, that Direct sure was something, wasn't it? My thoughts:
Guess I was wrong about us not getting a shadowdrop, eh? Anyways, I'm overall pretty satisfied with them. I really like their Side-Smash, feels real powerful. I find it kind of weird that their Forward-Aerial isn't a normal Rat-a-Tat-Rap, but rather Mario's Forward-Aerial, as well as their Neutral-Special and how it operates. I also find a couple of the music choices a little weird, more specifically the inclusion of Vs. Lord Woo Fak Fak over Vs. Weldar, and the exclusion of any final boss themes. But overall I'm very satisfied with them.
Not much was shown, but what WAS shown looks fine. I've heard people want to see Fem!Terry as an alt, but I doubt they'd include that. As a pixel art enthusiast, I really love how accurate the reveal trailer is to the actual game intro. Also, his stage looks neat. Not very complex in terms of design, but fitting all the same.
I bought it, looks nice, like the Megalovania remix. Not sure if he should have a voice, but I gave him Voice 9 with a low pitch. Sounds pretty good.
Great overall. Team Rocket costume looks nice, and it was a real treat to see Goemon again. Not sure how his fans feel with him being a Mii Fighter costume, but I think it fits. Honestly kind of suprised that we didn't get a bunch of Rare/Microsoft costumes. No Jet Force Gemini Gunner, no Jinjo Brawler. Hell, no Steve Swordfighter! A real missed opprotunity, that.
HELL YES!! No idea who they're gonna add, but I'm sure they'll be good.
Overall pretty solid. The highlights for me was the release of Super Kirby Clash. I loved playing the one on the 3DS, so I'm really going to enjoy sinking plenty of hours into this. I'm also happy to see that SNES games are coming to the Nintendo Online service. Super Metroid from the comfort of my own bed is gonna be GREAT! Everything else was either fine, okay, or I didn't really care about it. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and DOOM 64 are great, and while I don't care about Overwatch, I'm glad it's here. The undisputed worst part of the entire Direct was the new Pokemon Butterknife and Plate news. The new Pokemon are cool, but everything else did little for me. Clothing customization is returing, which we already knew about, and Pokemon Camping is cute, but seems like another pointless side activity that I'll try out a few times before never using it again.

Now... about Geno. Here's my peace:
I think this is the best place Geno has been in a long time. The fact that we're getting more DLC fighters after the Fighter Pass alone has done so much for his chances it's not even funny. We still don't have his Mii Fighter Costume back, so that's still a point in his favor. We also still have no idea what that Starling image was for, so it's possible that it could still potentially be a hint towards him getting in. It's possible that the Starling was a hint towards Terry this whole time. After all, Terry has a big white star symbol emblazoned on his jacket, and the trailer features Nakoruru and her Falcon, which after doing some reasearch revealed to that that is a species of bird, so maybe that's what it was hinting towards? Not exactly confident in this assessment, though. I'm also not confident that we'll even get an answer from the insider either, given how the images he's showing will apparently never be shown to us lowly peasants again outside of the discords where he shares them... then again, confirming something wouldn't be a spoiler or hint, so whatever.

Then there's the two Super Mario RPG songs that got flagged by Nintendo. So from what I've heard, a Megalovania video on YouTube that had Smash in it's title was flagged by Nintendo, and we now have a Sans costume that comes with a remix of Megalovania. There were also some Banjo-Kazooie remixes that were made as sort of what-ifs for what Banjo & Kazooie's music would be like should they get in Smash that also got flagged by Nintendo. I think there may have been other cases of this happening for other music that would eventually be used/remixed in Smash as well, but either way it seems that this may actually be a hint towards Geno getting in. Furthermore, the number of tacks that got flagged and the tracks they were are also very interesting. Both Cloud and each Hero alt only have 2 tracks apiece from each of their games, and only two tracks were flagged from Super Mario RPG. The tracks in question were 'Beware The Forest's Mushrooms', which is widely considered Geno's unofficial theme song (funny thing, apparently there's a track called 'Let's Play Geno', which is referred to as Geno's theme), and 'Fight Against an Armed Boss', which is the music used in fights against the Smithy Gang, which is used during the fight against Bowyer, the first battle you have with Geno in your party.

I also find these three instances of music tracks being flagged interesting for another reason: The versions of Megalovania and most of Banjo's music that got in Smash were remixes, which is true of the flagged Megalovania and Banjo fan-remixes as well. Likewise, the two Super Mario RPG tracks were straight rips rather than remixes, and so far SquareEnix characters haven't gotten any remixes in Smash, just straight rips of the music from their games, so if Geno were to get in, he'd get the straight rips rather than remixes, which could be why they were flagged in the first place rather than some other remixes. Also there's the fact that these tracks were flagged by Nintendo rather than SquareEnix since, from what I understand, Nintendo doesn't own those tracks. From what I've heard, the way it works is that any Mario music or remixed composed by Koji Kondo are owned by Nintendo, whereas everything else which was composed by Yoko Shimomura is owned by... actually, I don't really know, but it sure as hell isn't Nintendo.

Anyways, to close out my spiel on Geno after this direct, I'll say this: Stay hopeful, don't keep getting all bent out of shape when it seems that the next fighter isn't Geno. The fans want him, he's got a lot going for him in terms of a moveset, and there's plenty of potential evidence to suggest that it's only a matter of time before he makes his grand return as a fighter in Smash. Or when Super Mario RPG gets remade, whichever comes first. :ultpiranha:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, the T-pose would give us a confirmation, but it just wouldn't be as hype as a proper reveal. It worked for Mewtwo since he was the first DLC character and everything, but that's one of those things where we can do better these days so we should haha.

Also, lol at Smash Bros for keeping the Amiibo dream alive when Nintendo has abandoned them pretty much everywhere else (Isn't Link's Awakening the only new Amiibo for the rest of the year outside of Smash and it's just the one?)
I still see those Amiibo Festival ones (the POOR SOULS) at stores - I can only imagine Nintendo got way too overzealous and took a huge hit on them, then became much more conservative. It also doesn't help that toys-to-life is pretty dead and now amiibos basically just exist to satiate the rabid Smash market and occasionally other figurine fans.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I still see those Amiibo Festival ones (the POOR SOULS) at stores - I can only imagine Nintendo got way too overzealous and took a huge hit on them, then became much more conservative. It also doesn't help that toys-to-life is pretty dead and now amiibos basically just exist to satiate the rabid Smash market and occasionally other figurine fans.
I mean, Nintendo definitely went basically all in too quickly with so many different lines of them (like why the hell did Mario Party 10 need its own line?) that flooded the market and basically ensured they were a temporary thing... but I doubt they took such a huge hit. Toys-to-life was in part so successful because the cost of production is fairly cheap and the net profit ends up being decently high. Sure, Amiibo are of a higher quality and do require some extra tech for the NFC chips, but I have my doubts that their cost was ever that bad on Nintendo. They certainly mishandled their newfound products though, which is a shame as Amiibos are really cool, but are unlikely to survive til the next Nintendo console (unless Smash just never stops lol).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, Nintendo definitely went basically all in too quickly with so many different lines of them (like why the hell did Mario Party 10 need its own line?) that flooded the market and basically ensured they were a temporary thing... but I doubt they took such a huge hit. Toys-to-life was in part so successful because the cost of production is fairly cheap and the net profit ends up being decently high. Sure, Amiibo are of a higher quality and do require some extra tech for the NFC chips, but I have my doubts that their cost was ever that bad on Nintendo. They certainly mishandled their newfound products though, which is a shame as Amiibos are really cool, but are unlikely to survive til the next Nintendo console (unless Smash just never stops lol).
I don't think they took a hit on the amiibo in general, just the AC ones. Stores were practically giving them away even years later. I just think the repercussion of that line dissuaded them from being so eager to pump out future sets with the same frequency.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm coming from the Shantae port to say that we do hope you guys can make it in, too. You guys in particular need your payday, too.
I always thought a Geno/Shantae double reveal would be cool, with the wish granting thing and all.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Shantae, Geno, Rayman, BWD, Imagine one of those breaking the "Spirits can't be DLC Characters" fanrule going around since the very beginning.
I really want one of'em to happen right after the #5 ;3

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shantae, Geno, Rayman, BWD, Imagine one of those breaking the "Spirits can't be DLC Characters" fanrule going around since the very beginning.
I really want one of'em to happen right after the #5 ;3
Add Elma, Octolings and Black Shadow to the list for potential candidates for me

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, seeing the Terry trailer go with it's classic look really makes me wonder what they could do with a Geno trailer using SMRPG assets, especially with how expressive that game can be. I doubt that will be the case, as that could be seen as rather unoriginal after Terry just did it(Plus, whatever Sakurai and co comes up with will probably be even better), but it's still fun to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom