• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Can you blame her?

Look at how this community acts over everything!

We have people in here who think the pass is mostly disappointing because an iconic character from a titan of a franchise is potentially making the roster.
I suppose.

I just don’t understand the constant vagueness (not just vagueness, but also deleting stuff and whatnot, confusing stuff), the lie about Vergeben, and sometimes saying stuff you’d think she couldn’t under C&D.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Can you blame her?

We have people in here who think the pass is mostly disappointing because an iconic character from a titan of a franchise is potentially making the roster.
peopl,e do freaking overreact, smash community is the worst at that. Still not good to make fun of them

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Can you blame her?

I mean I wouldn't go that far. I think people just prefer to get reps from games they're fans of. I don't see why it's sacrilege to not be super hyped for literally every character just because they were chosen to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Does it seem like Geno wasn't in the cards for the FP at this point?
Based on the theming, probably not. Number 5 isn't confirmed but all evidence is currently pointing to, like I said, Sakurai's personal picks to not only celebrate video game history but to also work with franchises or companies he's always wanted to work with. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 and we kind of saw evidence of this as far back as Piranha Plant. This is more "Sakurai's pass" than the fans which is why I'm thinking fan picks will be coming later either as individual DLC or even as other passes.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hypnotically if there is multiple DLC passes. At max we would get two more due to slots. Which means bonus DLC is out of the question.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Can you blame her?

I'm... Not sure I'd exactly call Terry/his game iconic/a titan. Been talking to friends about this whole thing all day, and none of them knew who Terry was, neither did most of their friends they've talked to about it. Most of them didn't even know SNK, and the ones that did only knew them for Metal Slug. And personally, I only knew Terry from that Heroines game, and knew Metal Slug but didn't know it was SNK. I'd say the only legit "iconic" characters we've gotten in Ultimate are Simon/Richter, and Hero. Maybe Banjo too. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying someone has to be absolutely iconic to be in, or to be a good choice. I'm saying this as one of the biggest Joker fans out there. I just think you're blowing it out of proportions a bit here.

D

Deleted member

Based on the theming, probably not. Number 5 isn't confirmed but all evidence is currently pointing to, like I said, Sakurai's personal picks to not only celebrate video game history but to also work with franchises or companies he's always wanted to work with. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 and we kind of saw evidence of this as far back as Piranha Plant. This is more "Sakurai's pass" than the fans which is why I'm thinking fan picks will be coming later either as individual DLC or even as other passes.
So what you're saying is this DLC season was kind of buttering Sakurai up to the idea of DLC and practice of DLC and then they could potentially go forward with more DLC plans which may include fan favorites and other interesting characters? I can kind of buy that and entertain the idea.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
My personal theory of there being a second fighter pass with 1st party (slash series already in) characters, coming with echos instead of stages? The stage list seems pretty much full unless they resize it, so I think the most likely thing is that after this we're not getting any more new series for DLC. The rest of the DLC would have to be okay with not taking a stage, and then to keep the price of the second pass the same as the first one, they'd bundle in echo fighters instead. A lot of the more highly requested characters still around don't need a stage. (Geno could have a stage obviously, but he doesn't need one. Then there's Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Pokemon reps, Zelda reps, etc etc.)

Hypnotically if there is multiple DLC passes. At max we would get two more due to slots. Which means bonus DLC is out of the question.
Hypnotically? Oh no...

Technically, we could get more than what the slots seem to imply. Smash 4 actually added extra character IDs midway through. (Specifically because Bayonetta wasn't always planned to have an alt for Bayonetta 1.)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Unless the other passes aren't 5 characters, maybe less.

I think we will get those other 10 slots filled over smashes life. This first pass being Sakurai's biggest wants is fine for me. If we get more great, if not this overall is an excellent roster.

I think if more passes come, it will be a bunch of Spirit upgrades. Rex and Pyra as well. with them probably Geno, Hopefully Shantae, plus others.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I'm... Not sure I'd exactly call Terry/his game iconic/a titan. Been talking to friends about this whole thing all day, and none of them knew who Terry was, neither did most of their friends they've talked to about it. Most of them didn't even know SNK, and the ones that did only knew them for Metal Slug. And personally, I only knew Terry from that Heroines game, and knew Metal Slug but didn't know it was SNK. I'd say the only legit "iconic" characters we've gotten in Ultimate are Simon/Richter, and Hero. Maybe Banjo too. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying someone has to be absolutely iconic to be in, or to be a good choice. I'm saying this as one of the biggest Joker fans out there. I just think you're blowing it out of proportions a bit here.
That's just a lack of culture tbh
Because yes, SNK is an iconic game company and when it comes to figthing game, Fatal Fury and KOF are iconic.
Terry rules

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
At this point then I'm really hoping Geno gets in for the next pass or bonus DLC or whatever it is, and the elephant in the room is that his major competition is the only other SE character that has been as highly requested which is Sora. I know some people have completely disregarded Sora as possible, but as far as fan demand goes (if that is the metric by which the next pass happens) Nintendo and SE will have obviously seen the huge amount of vocal KH fans that wanted him in the FP. If people want Geno in this game they really need to be loud about it.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think making the second pass about upgrading spirits and assists would probably be the hypest reveal they could give. geno issac shantae skull kid bomberman rayman zero alucard ashley shadows knuckles lyn krystal ray saki goroh shovel knight waluigi... they could make all ultimate dlc from hereon out just upgrades and people would be insanely hyped
It would be super lame to just drop all third parties and surprises though. Like I'm obviously all for some upgrades, but I don't know if we should go all in on a themed pass like that when there's also absolutely amazing options outside of the upgrades that people really like (Sora, Crash, etc.).

Now, why in the heck would we be getting him that quickly? There are only two characters left in the Fighter's Pass, one of which it seems like who know who they might be. If we do get a new character announcement this week and Banjo drops the week after, that means only one more fighter for the pass for the rest of the year into next year.

Here me out guys: What if we have been looking at this all wrong the entire time? What if Feb 2020 wasn't the determined goal, but only a soft deadline? Sakurai and Co are spitting out characters as fast as we can handle them it seems...so why would they be pushing out the characters this fast...unless there were future plans?

What if they are trying to get Bonus DLC done that they have the rights to? What if they are pushing these characters out because a second pass has already been approved and they want to take a small break and then have something to reveal next year?

Just seems AWFULLY fishy to me that these characters are getting pumped out so quick for no particular reason...
Well, even with the best case scenario, I still think we'll end up very close to the February 2020 deadline. If Banjo & Kazooie really do release in the next two weeks, it will throw me for a bit of a loop (primarily because Fall 2019 was blatantly incorrect since that doesn't start until September 22), but it's also worth examining the fact that a Terry Bogard reveal this week would still put us pretty far out from his reveal. The shortest amount of time thus far was a month and a half for Hero's reveal to their release. That would put in early November for his actual release and then we would need some sort of event to announce the final character. Assuming this character shows up before The Game Awards (which I'm still leaning towards that happening again), you'd still be waiting for probably another month a half to get to the last character in early-mid January depending on that reveal. Sure, that's slightly ahead of their deadline, but I do think that overall we'll see them come pretty close to said deadline.

Yep. The 16 placeholders were found right at the beginning of DLC and people were originally theorizing that these spaces would be filled with ALTs. That has not been the case. It's all but confirmed that #1-4 won't have ALTs (at least with separate placeholders) and there's a big chance #5 won't either. That means there's a whooping 10 placeholders totally unaccounted for. Nothing may come of it but Nintendo's typically very deliberate in its actions. At least one other pass is looking pretty decent but, again, that's my own speculation.
How much of this optimism towards a second Fighter's Pass is based on things known to the public like those slots, and how much of it relates to your insider information?

Well if a second character pass happens then that might be a thing in Geno's favor.
It certainly would be, wouldn't it?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno is indeed bonus DLC, then I can deal with that.
I think the chances are decent. Since Sabi went ahead and flat out said it, rumors are currently pointing at Ryu being #5 and, personally, I think that it will go over as well as a dead fish dropped on someone's doormat. Ninja Gaiden has a lot of history and Toei/Team Ninja have been friends with Nintendo forever so it makes sense as a Sakurai pick... not so much as a fan pick (doesn't help that there's already multiple ninja characters already), meaning that essentially 4 of the 5 were chosen under the previous criteria. He's also not exactly a great character to finish off the pass with if this was truly the end.

Nintendo's not dumb, despite what a lot of people think. He doesn't exactly bode confidence in future Smash DLC. With Smash fans not being super enthused about most of the picks, imagine how it is for casuals. For what I've seen, Banjo's the only character that's hit the bullseye. Early reactions to Terry are pretty bitter and Ryu will probably be more of the same. Nintendo has said time and time again that they love fans reactions and most of the reactions to this fighter pass have been "oh." Perhaps this is why Sakurai insisted on only buying the pass if people were confident in the content, because he kind of had a feeling that a lot of the characters wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
yeah she said that because of a 4chan leak that had both Terry and Ryu, with her previous tweets regarding it being why I mentioned her seeming to make fun of the community.

I guess they’re all in the dark about #5.
Tbh something's a little suspicious when she called out one specific 4chan leak with Terry on it when there were several supposed DLC leaks with his name on them as well. Why draw attention to that specific one unless she heard that the trailer was going to match up with the leak description plus also hearing things about Ryu?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think the chances are decent. Since Sabi went ahead and flat out said it, rumors are currently pointing at Ryu being #5 and, personally, I think that it will go over as well as a dead fish dropped on someone's doormat. Ninja Gaiden has a lot of history and Toei/Team Ninja have been friends with Nintendo forever so it makes sense as a Sakurai pick... not so much as a fan pick (doesn't help that there's already multiple ninja characters already), meaning that essentially 4 of the 5 were chosen under the previous criteria. He's also not exactly a great character to finish off the pass with if this was truly the end.

Nintendo's not dumb, despite what a lot of people think. He doesn't exactly bode confidence in future Smash DLC. With Smash fans not being super enthused about most of the picks, imagine how it is for casuals. For what I've seen, Banjo's the only character that's hit the bullseye. Early reactions to Terry are pretty bitter and Ryu will probably be more of the same. Nintendo has said time and time again that they love fans reactions and most of the reactions to this fighter pass have been "oh." Perhaps this is why Sakurai insisted on only buying the pass if people were confident in the content, because he kind of had a feeling that a lot of the characters wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea...
Yeah it's funny that most people originally took his comments to mean greedy Nintendo of Japan was just going to fill the pass with non-spirit first-party shill characters like Corrin when in reality it's because most of them were non-demanded characters that Sakurai himself wanted in for personal reasons. I honestly wonder if Nintendo is going to take into account the fan reactions to Hero and Terry to then announce a second FP with whatever direct or trailer announces Ryu or whoever character 5 ends up being. It honestly wouldn't even surprise me if there is a second and/or third fighter pass for the characters to have already been chosen. I could see Nintendo doing another big drawn out reveal season or announcing all the second pass characters in one huge CGI trailer to generate hype and get more people to purchase a full second FP.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Tbh something's a little suspicious when she called out one specific 4chan leak with Terry on it when there were several supposed DLC leaks with his name on them as well. Why draw attention to that specific one unless she heard that the trailer was going to match up with the leak description plus also hearing things about Ryu?
It also doesn't seem like Sakurai to drop just a massive hint in a trailer when none of the fighter pass characters have had a hint towards a future release. And why would it be Ryu he would want to hint at?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I haven’t caught up with this thread yet, has anything else interesting happened?
It's pretty much guarenteed that the SNK rep is Terry from KoF. Every insider from Verge to Seb is doubling down on him.

If his trailer plays out with him expanding off of Ken and Incineroar's trailer (Like how Banjo expanded K. Rool's) then the final fighter MIGHT be Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, since a particular leak that talked about Terry early on insisted that would be how his trailer played out.

Seb expects speculation after Terry to drive us mad, and let's be real, it probably will.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
My personal theory of there being a second fighter pass with 1st party (slash series already in) characters, coming with echos instead of stages? The stage list seems pretty much full unless they resize it, so I think the most likely thing is that after this we're not getting any more new series for DLC. The rest of the DLC would have to be okay with not taking a stage, and then to keep the price of the second pass the same as the first one, they'd bundle in echo fighters instead. A lot of the more highly requested characters still around don't need a stage. (Geno could have a stage obviously, but he doesn't need one. Then there's Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Pokemon reps, Zelda reps, etc etc.)

Hypnotically? Oh no...

Technically, we could get more than what the slots seem to imply. Smash 4 actually added extra character IDs midway through. (Specifically because Bayonetta wasn't always planned to have an alt for Bayonetta 1.)
Unless i am mistaken, right now how the stage selection screen works, agter the 5 fighters pass stages, there is 1 more button left, that could be an more stages buttpn like for wii u. I dont see all the other season characters getting more stages, and those who dont may bring an echo instead(like rex and pyra may not get a stage, but they may bring a bonus Medusa echo for palutena or something.) Some new franchise characters like shantae may bring a stage, but geno is up in the air if he would.

yeah she said that because of a 4chan leak that had both Terry and Ryu, with her previous tweets regarding it being why I mentioned her seeming to make fun of the community.

I guess they’re all in the dark about #5.
I am in the boat that nobody knows the 5th character this early, and we wont start getting legitimate rumors till december.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Isn't it sad that the only new Nintendo series that was added in Ultimate was Splatoon and that's it?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So long as Geno is still in the cards moving forward, I will be okay with that. He needs to free the other spirits from their deconfirmation status.

With that being said, don't worry Geno not happening just yet, we can still do this. Especially if Sakurai does in deed plan on additional DLC moving forward (not a guarantee at this point but still let's work with what we know instead of throwing in the towel)

We need to continue putting pressure and keeping our passion for Geno alive. We have a platform that will allow us to show case our love for the character and hopefully soon we can have our day!

(Incoming Plug)

Operation StarFall is a great place to start! Our social media accounts allow us to connect to Nintendo and Square-Enix and we have a ton of great ideas moving forward that will help keep the Geno community as close together as possible! We started about a month ago but have a total of over 6,400 unique individuals who want to see Geno in Smash. This number will only grow in size as we continue to show how much Geno is truly wanted in Smash Bros.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/opestarfall
Other Social Media Page Information: https://operationstarfall.com/socialmedia.html
Change.Org Petition: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-operation-starfall-bring-super-mario-rpg-back-to-the-limelight

If you truly want Geno to be in Smash Bros, please please PLEASE consider joining us and showing your support. The more loud and proud we can be about Geno being our guy, the more they we will catch their attention.

We can totally do this! Don't let the dream die just yet. Our day will come so long as you keep the faith!

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Anecdotal evidence ain't it chief. Just because you don't dabble in other fighting games, nor does your friend circle, doesn't mean it's not big.

I didn't watch Game of Thrones because I didn't know about it. Does that mean it wasn't a big deal at the time? No, it just meant I wasn't in on the most recent trend.

Feel free to give this a read at some point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Fighters and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNK.

Also, here is a list of the games the have made or been involved with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SNK_games.

They are no where near niche.

Once again, proof that the Smash community is very much removed from the FGC, because anyone who has played a decent amount of fighting games knows about SNK.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It also doesn't seem like Sakurai to drop just a massive hint in a trailer when none of the fighter pass characters have had a hint towards a future release. And why would it be Ryu he would want to hint at?
From what Sabi explained I think her reasoning on people assuming it's Ryu is coming from that 4chan post. But my feeling is that multiple people have doubled down on both Ryu and Terry and this was her way of revealing that without hard confirming it due to the potential legal ramifications. I don't think anything is gonna hint at Ryu in the Terry trailer.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much guarenteed that the SNK rep is Terry from KoF. Every insider from Verge to Seb is doubling down on him.

If his trailer plays out with him expanding off of Ken and Incineroar's trailer (Like how Banjo expanded K. Rool's) then the final fighter MIGHT be Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, since a particular leak that talked about Terry early on insisted that would be how his trailer played out.

Seb expects speculation after Terry to drive us mad, and let's be real, it probably will.
I’m happy for all the Terry and Ryu fans if this turns out true, but personally I’m not a fan of KoF or Ninja Gaiden. I still hope that Geno is a bonus though.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
From what Sabi explained I think her reasoning on people assuming it's Ryu is coming from that 4chan post. But imo my feeling is that multiple people have doubled down on both Ryu and Terry and this was her was of revealing that without hard confirming it due to the potential legal ramifications. I don't think anything is gonna hint at Ryu in the Terry trailer.
I still don't see any proper proof on why people think its Ryu outside a 4chan post and he is from the last major japanese dev not in smash yet.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I suppose.

I just don’t understand the constant vagueness (not just vagueness, but also deleting stuff and whatnot, confusing stuff), the lie about Vergeben, and sometimes saying stuff you’d think she couldn’t under C&D.
Almost like I have a C&D, and even said that this info came from somebody who asked me to not outright share it, so I had to wait on somebody else to spill the beans first. I tried giving enough hints to make it obvious. I gotta be real careful

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Once again, proof that the Smash community is very much removed from the FGC, because anyone who has played a decent amount of fighting games knows about SNK.
I think the issue is that while SNK has been more influential and a far bigger name in most of the world, it doesn't have the same name recognition as some local western fighting game franchises. In the east it's Terry vs Ryu, in the west it's Scorpion vs Ryu. SNK has a massive influence, and has done more for Fighting game development then most other video game companies.

If SNK does get in, i'd actually be very happy, i love fighting games, especially since they often are the video games with the biggest emphasis on character design.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I've been looking at different tweets and stuff, and guess who I found?

At least I can give him one thing: he's consistent.

Also, it ain't true until it is. Nintendo has the final say with the official reveal.

Also Ryu Hayabusa is nothing but rumor and holds no credible weight.

Breath, ladies and gents. Breathe.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Almost like I have a C&D, and even said that this info came from somebody who asked me to not outright share it, so I had to wait on somebody else to spill the beans first. I tried giving enough hints to make it obvious. I gotta be real careful
Don't worry about it. We understand it isn't easy and we apologize for any additional stress that you may get on the situation. Even if Geno isn't planned for the time being, we can't thank you enough for being as supportive of us and keeping us in the loop as best you can. :)

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So I've been looking at different tweets and stuff, and guess who I found?

At least I can give him one thing: he's consistent.

Also, it ain't true until it is. Nintendo has the final say with the official reveal.

Also Ryu Hayabusa is nothing but rumor and holds no credible weight.

Breath, ladies and gents. Breathe.
"I support Geno! I swear to god! Glad if I'm wrong!" in coming

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think the issue is that while SNK has been more influential and a far bigger name in most of the world, it doesn't have the same name recognition as some local western fighting game franchises. In the east it's Terry vs Ryu, in the west it's Scorpion vs Ryu. SNK has a massive influence, and has done more for Fighting game development then most other video game companies.

If SNK does get in, i'd actually be very happy, i love fighting games, especially since they often are the video games with the biggest emphasis on character design.
Sadly I think it's because of their money issues and stuff that happened. After releasing games like every year for YEARS, they took a dive and almost faded away, and it took them a while to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom