• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's really quite simple: Sakurai is choosing the DLC characters to appeal to every major region, and now he'll have to make a pick to appeal to the stars by including Geno.

He's in boys.
It's too bad that Isaac is a Assist Trophy because he would be perfect for the Season Pass as he would appeal to both Europeans and North Americans.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's really quite simple: Sakurai is choosing the DLC characters to appeal to every major region, and now he'll have to make a pick to appeal to the stars by including Geno.

He's in boys.
I dunno man, I think the moon is more deserving of a character than the stars.
... wait a second... a character for the moon...
DR. EGGMAN CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Let's be real - a lot of Smash speculation consists of bandwagoning. Even here, whenever a credible rumour pops up, people head to the support thread for that character to voice their support for them. (either that, or act annoyed because they've never heard of that character before, so clearly they don't deserve to be in Smash) Mind you, I'm guilty of jumping on bandwagons from time to time (either because a character seems much more plausible than I thought, or because I wasn't aware that they had a support thread), so I don't mean that in a negative sense.

Also, I doubt that there's a lot of overlap between the people who voted for Geno and the people who say that Geno's impossible because Hero is in.
And the funniest thing is that the bandwagoners are the first people to declare Geno as not coming every time there’s a slight inkling that some hint, rumor, or leak isn’t going to pan out.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good day everyone. I'd like to share this here article from last year in which Sakurai talks about his days playing at the arcade, and the lesson he learned then of being mindful of all types of players. A little something to note is him mentioning that back then he was playing King of Fighters 95. What's to note from this title is that, aside from the obvious of it being the direct sequel to KoF 94 (which has the intro scene that would be FITTING for a Smash reveal), KoF 95 also has the inclusion of a sealed invitation within the intro .

In addition to the former article, there's another in which Sakurai touches upon character choices. This article is from back in 2015, and one of the things Sakurai seeks in a potential character for the roster is uniqueness. Taking into account that Sakurai is knowledgeable of the KoF series, thus knowing the mechanics of the source material (the team fights), and him having worked on Pokémon Trainer's design (three-in-one character), I could see it possible for him incorporating the SNK/KoF rep as a trio of characters which would include Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro, which formed Team Japan back in the early KoFs. True that in the games you could not tag out and switch to other team members, but the mechanic could be worked around somehow. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that instead of going full-on source material, the character trio would consists of the most popular KoF characters, and not a specific Team from the series (i.e. Kyo, Terry, Mai; or Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru; etc.).

Also, let us remember that in EVO 2019, SNK teased King of Fighters XV (currently in development) so, that could go along with plans of promoting the series with the inclusion of KoF characters in Smash prior to KoF XVs release.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Let's be real - a lot of Smash speculation consists of bandwagoning. Even here, whenever a credible rumour pops up, people head to the support thread for that character to voice their support for them. (either that, or act annoyed because they've never heard of that character before, so clearly they don't deserve to be in Smash) Mind you, I'm guilty of jumping on bandwagons from time to time (either because a character seems much more plausible than I thought, or because I wasn't aware that they had a support thread), so I don't mean that in a negative sense.

Also, I doubt that there's a lot of overlap between the people who voted for Geno and the people who say that Geno's impossible because Hero is in.
True. When a fake leak comes out and has a character on it not discussed before, all of sudden support pours in, even to the point where that character is deemed as a perfect Smash fit and seen as pretty obvious to add, saying how all the signs were there but fans were just blind. What makes this stand out, though, is that prior to the 'leak,' there was little to no request for the character in discussions, even in topics where 'most likely' was thrown out and people were just asked who they would like.

For example, that Agnes hoax months ago (which actually was just a photoshopped Little Ma-, er, Palutena). Immediately there was 'makes sense,' 'She's my most wanted,' 'About time.' But if you asked before that who were common requests, its Isaac, Geno, Pokemon rep, Banjo, etc. Basically, the response after doesn't line up with the response prior. Granted, this is the same fanbase who sees anything Nintendo as being Smash related or how a new IP literally announced gets 'I would love them in Smash!' by comment number 5.

This bandwagoning also happens in the opposite direction, where people who never mentioned a character that they dislike immediately vehemently hate them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
For me its like this.

Shantae: Probably my favorite indie character, and played all her games. I even backed Half Geno hero enough to design one of the bad guys(I made Slime Gal) Huge fan of Wayforward too and feel they deserve it.

Geno: Mario RPG was a fantasic game with a fantastic cast. bad luck made Geno and the rest co-owned by SE so nintendo couldn't do anything with the,. Sakurai also has expressed interest in geno since Melee I beleive. Also so many people I know would love Geno so want them to be happy.

Rayman: Played a few of his games, found them fun. Ubisoft has also been very tight with Nintendo, but still no rayman for smahs. he also is one of the classic 90's mascots.
Your slime gal was well designed. Good work

zferolie

Smash Hero
Good day everyone. I'd like to share this here article from last year in which Sakurai talks about his days playing at the arcade, and the lesson he learned then of being mindful of all types of players. A little something to note is him mentioning that back then he was playing King of Fighters 95. What's to note from this title is that, aside from the obvious of it being the direct sequel to KoF 94 (which has the intro scene that would be FITTING for a Smash reveal), KoF 95 also has the inclusion of a sealed invitation within the intro .

In addition to the former article, there's another in which Sakurai touches upon character choices. This article is from back in 2015, and one of the things Sakurai seeks in a potential character for the roster is uniqueness. Taking into account that Sakurai is knowledgeable of the KoF series, thus knowing the mechanics of the source material (the team fights), and him having worked on Pokémon Trainer's design (three-in-one character), I could see it possible for him incorporating the SNK/KoF rep as a trio of characters which would include Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro, which formed Team Japan back in the early KoFs. True that in the games you could not tag out and switch to other team members, but the mechanic could be worked around somehow. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that instead of going full-on source material, the character trio would consists of the most popular KoF characters, and not a specific Team from the series (i.e. Kyo, Terry, Mai; or Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru; etc.).

Also, let us remember that in EVO 2019, SNK teased King of Fighters XV (currently in development) so, that could go along with plans of promoting the series with the inclusion of KoF characters in Smash prior to KoF XVs release.
If they do a trio, which would be a very cool idea, I think Terry, Mai, and someone else, maybe Kyo, maybe Nakoruru just for the SamSho support, maybe Athena, would be best. Terry and Mai are the Male and female face of the KoF series, and the third could be someone to round them all out. Heck, it could just be called Team SNK.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I'm pretty certain that Terry will get the nod. While it's true that KOF did have an invitation opening, the thing about Sakurai is that he likes to not be too obvious, and that intro is TOO OBVIOUS, and I'm not seeing Kyo getting in first over Terry given his seniority, the fact he's SNK's mascot, and that without Fatal Fury, KOF wouldn't exist in the first place.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm... then perhaps... Team Fatal Fury (which is also one of the teams in early KoFs) including Terry, Andy, and Joe, which would pretty much represent both Fatal Fury and KoF (I'm digging this scenario). :2gud:

Sakurai speaks in Geese

Sakurai: PREDICTABO!!!

D

Deleted member

I don't even know who fighter 4 will be from SNK. Hell, I know so little about SNK I thought SNK was a series not a company when talking with a few friends of mine yesterday I mixed up KoF with SNK.

But yeah if I had to guess who it would be I'm willing to guess on Terry cause while I'm not very knowledgeable about the company I still know who Terry is at least and maybe some other people will be like that. He may be the most iconic character from SNK as far as I know. He could be cool I guess.

So sure if I had to guess I'd say Terry but I have no idea who it will be that's just a guess.

D

Deleted member

True. When a fake leak comes out and has a character on it not discussed before, all of sudden support pours in, even to the point where that character is deemed as a perfect Smash fit and seen as pretty obvious to add, saying how all the signs were there but fans were just blind. What makes this stand out, though, is that prior to the 'leak,' there was little to no request for the character in discussions, even in topics where 'most likely' was thrown out and people were just asked who they would like.

For example, that Agnes hoax months ago (which actually was just a photoshopped Little Ma-, er, Palutena). Immediately there was 'makes sense,' 'She's my most wanted,' 'About time.' But if you asked before that who were common requests, its Isaac, Geno, Pokemon rep, Banjo, etc. Basically, the response after doesn't line up with the response prior. Granted, this is the same fanbase who sees anything Nintendo as being Smash related or how a new IP literally announced gets 'I would love them in Smash!' by comment number 5.

This bandwagoning also happens in the opposite direction, where people who never mentioned a character that they dislike immediately vehemently hate them.
if you ask me this is a result of how gently disagreeing with a character is met with some tone cop telling you not to be "entitled" or "toxic". You'll get two types of people, the ones that accept the narrative that they're doing something wrong by not being happy with every choice Sakurai or his team make, and the ones who double down, essentially saying "I'll show you 'toxic'". I don't entirely think it's bandwagoning to try to justify the inclusion, though.
I'm pretty certain that Terry will get the nod. While it's true that KOF did have an invitation opening, the thing about Sakurai is that he likes to not be too obvious, and that intro is TOO OBVIOUS, and I'm not seeing Kyo getting in first over Terry given his seniority, the fact he's SNK's mascot, and that without Fatal Fury, KOF wouldn't exist in the first place.
maybe it's so obvious a nod that Sakurai thinks we'd think it's too obvious and therefore we write it off, and it loops back to not being obvious at all. I'll call back to the Grinch leak's character banner - blurry as it was, it got Ken's pose almost exactly right as far as the official character banner goes, because that shoryuken pose for him is super iconic to the point it would be the most obvious inclusion.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Whoa there, I will admit that that would be super cool having another Pokemon Trainer with the King of Fighters so they can get many characters in, but I got to say I think that's never going to happen. That would be three unique characters in one, they might as well sell them separate. If they go in that direction then that's the best deal out of the entire Fighters Pass, but since that will require a lot of work I don't see it possible.

D

Deleted member

Whoa there, I will admit that that would be super cool having another Pokemon Trainer with the King of Fighters so they can get many characters in, but I got to say I think that's never going to happen. That would be three unique characters in one, they might as well sell them separate. If they go in that direction then that's the best deal out of the entire Fighters Pass, but since that will require a lot of work I don't see it possible.
bro Banjo is in this game

impossible is a suggestion at this point

D

Deleted member

Unless we are talking about 4th party characters like Goku.
yeah we got Hero instead, same guy but with a sword.

... in all seriousness I don't neccessarily count anime characters out as much as I don't want any. Every single "rule", including the ones Sakurai actually stated, have been broken and tossed out the window.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Or y'know Geno :4pacman:
Geno isn't 4th party though so he isn't impossible. I know you were just joking, but I'm just saying.

yeah we got Hero instead, same guy but with a sword.

... in all seriousness I don't neccessarily count anime characters out as much as I don't want any. Every single "rule", including the ones Sakurai actually stated, have been broken and tossed out the window.
If somebody like the Dragon Quest protagonist characters being owned by 5 companies and Banjo & Kazooie being owned by one of Nintendo's direct competitors Microsoft sounded hard to get on paper, than I think anime and comic book characters are out of the question as they would be a licensing nightmare to get a hold off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno isn't 4th party though so he isn't impossible. I know you were just joking, but I'm just saying.
I know he's not a 4th party character but he's a Spirit and apparently that deconfirm fighters or at least that's what it seems like.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nah, it's because he had to pay extra in order to use Megasmilax's name in Palutena's guidance :4pacman:
And reference the SMRPG Japanese commercial in Piranha Plant's Classic Mode Congratulations image. :4pacman:

Edit: ForsakenM ForsakenM I heard you on your stream and I wasn't the guy in the video reacting to the Geno Mii costume. All I said was that if the real Geno was revealed, my reaction would be similar to his.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
And reference the SMRPG Japanese commercial in Piranha Plant's Classic Mode Congratulations image. :4pacman:
After all these calculations of SMRPG references and paying for Hero. Sakurai had $10 left to make the remaining 4 fighter pass characters.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
bro Banjo is in this game

impossible is a suggestion at this point
Well there's a big difference from Banjo being in and having 3 unique Fighters combine together together with music and stage all at the price of $6. I think financially and the work load required for that is way too much. We got to be realistic. I would kill for that to happen, but that's way too much.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to say I think the budget thing is a little overblown. The DLC budget is probably 100% for development and advertising, per character, where licensing was handled beforehand (and might not be as outrageous as we believe).

Sakurai mentioned at one point that Hero took a little longer because they had to tweek the mana usage, so development costs also cover balance testing, and that's probably why they were strapped for cash on the advertising side.

Banjo, SNK and Pack 5 are all likely on separate budgets and we could end up seeing any sort of advertising campaign for them depending on how much money was spent getting them into the game in a more balanced state than Smash 4 Cloud and Bayo (regardless of what people think about Joker or Hero)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Edit: ForsakenM ForsakenM I heard you on your stream and I wasn't the guy in the video reacting to the Geno Mii costume. All I said was that if the real Geno was revealed, my reaction would be similar to his.
I know you aren't and never implied you were. Maybe you misunderstood me?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So guys, I know I tagged you my dream...but let me go over some things real quick.
  • I dreamed of Terry Bogard getting into Smash in late Dec of 2018. If he gets announced, my mind will be blown.
  • I dreamed of him being in his Wild Wolf outfit, of which I will link here. If this outfit is an option in Smash, I will freak the **** out.
  • I dreamed of Terry finishing off Ken in his trailer with a Final Smash. If this happens in his trailer, I will mentally meltdown.
  • I ALSO dreamed of Geno making it in in the same dream, however they really changed up his design and made him extra edgy. If Geno ALSO gets in, I'll need week to recover. If he gets in exactly as I dreamed of him, you'll need permission to meet me in the rubber room of the local psyche ward.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So guys, I know I tagged you my dream...but let me go over some things real quick.
  • I dreamed of Terry Bogard getting into Smash in late Dec of 2018. If he gets announced, my mind will be blown.
  • I dreamed of him being in his Wild Wolf outfit, of which I will link here. If this outfit is an option in Smash, I will freak the **** out.
  • I dreamed of Terry finishing off Ken in his trailer with a Final Smash. If this happens in his trailer, I will mentally meltdown.
  • I ALSO dreamed of Geno making it in in the same dream, however they really changed up his design and made him extra edgy. If Geno ALSO gets in, I'll need week to recover. If he gets in exactly as I dreamed of him, you'll need permission to meet me in the rubber room of the local psyche ward.
Define extremely edgy. What would a Coldsteel the Hedgehog version of Geno be like?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Define extremely edgy. What would a Coldsteel the Hedgehog version of Geno be like?
Oh boi, let me source my dream right quick.
Alright, this is rather wordy so brace yourselves...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was weird and all I remember of this character reveal, but not as weird as what happened next. So the character goes over to Plushie Reggie and pulls out a piece of his essence and it looks like Reggie might die or something and then the new character get wrecked and flies off into a a tower of building blocks and then you see Reggie's essence float down and hover above a hand...A WOODEN HAND! Then you hear the sound of wood clinking as the essence is given back to Reggie, and when he accepts it back the wooden hand helps pull him up. The camera then swivels to reveal Reggie's hero and...IT'S MUTHAFOOKIN GENO BABY! As you can assume, both versions of myself in this dream lost their collective s*** but it was tainted a bit: Geno seemed a bit off from what we knew. His expressions were less of the enthusiastic but down-to-earth hero we knew and more fulled with some sort of conflict. His outfit was still mostly blue but it had black portions at the bottom of the cape and around the collar pieces and he was missing his right hand.

The me in the dream was just so excited that he didn't care, but the me watching the dream was like 'Aww no, the edge-i-fied him! Why, Nintendo, WHY?!' The other Mario character emerged from the rubble and glared angrily at Geno, and then from Geno's missing hand he formed A GIANT PURPLE AND BLUE SWORD and charged into battle. We then get a highlight reel of his moveset and it's mostly melee attacks with only a couple of cool moves that feel like the Geno we know like finger shots and shooting off his fist. Also at one point his model is pixelated like he's part of Rivals of AEther or something, but it wasn't permanent so I can't tell you what that was about. Then at the end he has his final Smash and it's pretty badass: it's fully cinematic after he charges and grabs then and takes them both to Star Hill via some sort of teleportation. He then does a barrage of attacks that have slashes from the sword in between, but then he does a flip over them and lights them up with finger bullets from the one hand and does a samurai-esq slash back through them. As they are stunned he turns around and fires his fist off and it hits them in the face and sends them reeling. He then slashes them again and kicks them towards the fist, which opens and grabs then by the shoulder and returns them to Geno and as the fist locks in place you can see that Geno pierces the, with his sword. He then lifts them up while still pierced by the sword and flicks them off a la Super Vegito style and then he absorbs energy from the wish stars on Star Hill and fires off a Geno Beam on the level of a Samus Zero Laser then just as that beam ends it looks like he fires off another smaller beam but it's actually the sword, which pierces them through and then it cuts to the game and they die off hitting the blast zone.

He then does a pose, but it's not his arm-crossed nod but one with his back facing the camera and him looking up towards the sky with both his regular arm and sword arm by his sides.

Then it came back to regular Reggie talking about how all these characters are in development and would be coming soon, but he took a piece of fuzz off his face and was like 'Huh, how did that get there?'

Then I woke up so confused because I thought I legit just watched that happen and I had woke up with little sleep having been gained, so it was hard for me to realize that I had dreamt it all up for a few minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun facts about this dream:

3. Geno having a purple-blue laser sword could possibly be attributed to me playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep before I fell out. I'm currently beating Aqua's story and I got her Bladecharge which, when triggered, makes a giant purple-ish light blade extend from her keyblade. I assume Geno being 'edge-i-fied' would attribute to me fear that if we do get him that he SOMEHOW won't be properly referenced to even though it's mf Sakurai and Crew working on this so he would, although he did look kinda badass. Also the FS cinematic has no reference I can think of other than Super Vegito, the rest is just my imagination going to town.
This cuts out all the non-Geno stuff from my dream post. I also dreamed Wild Wolf Terry Bogard from Garou: Mark of the Wolves and some random Mario character that may or may not exists but would pull out people's essence like it was paint or something and seemed like he was from either Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi in terms of artstyle.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
So, our pass, in order, looks to be:

Joker
Hero
Banjo
Ryu Hayabusa
KoF rep

Gotta admit that aside from Banjo, a bit lackluster for me personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom