• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm not 100% familiar with Klonoa, but I've always loved the character design. Seeing him appear in Smash would be nice! I've been hoping at the very least we could get another Namco representative. Maybe he'll be the one!

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I love the Klonoa games but I think he's a little too obscure for Smash. Not expecting another Namco character at all tbh

D

Deleted member

To get a little more into this color theory now that I have the time, I also had a theory about it related to the color of the stars from Mario RPG. But instead of relying on the DLC having an additional character, it was based on the "never-evers", the popular, oft fan-requested characters that seemed like they'd never get in. So far, the colors actually work, and Hero doesn't necessarily break the pattern if we assume Japan thought of him as a never-ever. Banjo's gonna have to get a real page to see what color he is, but right now I'm thinking of the following. Not only do the colors matter, but the scenario from where the stars were obtained (which is maximum theorycraft but whatever):

Ridley - Darker Purple (Star Hill) [Given for free]
Simon - Red (Volcano) [after beating a zombie]
K. Rool - Green (Forest Maze) [compariable to DK's jungle?]
Hero - Lighter Purple (By the sea) [Japan is by the sea]
Banjo - Yellow (Smithy's star) [obtained from an unstoppable, foreign machine (Microsoft)]

so that leaves us with two - Light Blue, and Orange. Banjo could of course be Orange, (dug out from the mines), which is still actually relevant to his situation before being added to Smash.

Colors given to the characters sometimes seem in line with their coloration, but other times seem almost entirely arbitrary, such as Incineroar's color being Yellow. The color is always on the character in some way, though. I could honestly see Geno having a yellow background.

Firox

Smash Master
Honest question: What do you guys think the chances are of Amaterasu getting in to Smash? I loved Okami on the Wii and I think she'd have a pretty freaking sweet moveset if she got in. She could play a good projectile game while having some decent close range options as well. She's Capcom, so it's not like we don't already have some representation from them. I'm just curious.

D

Deleted member

Honest question: What do you guys think the chances are of Amaterasu getting in to Smash? I loved Okami on the Wii and I think she'd have a pretty freaking sweet moveset if she got in. She could play a good projectile game while having some decent close range options as well. She's Capcom, so it's not like we don't already have some representation from them. I'm just curious.
I think Capcom has as many reps as they're going to get. Before Banjo came along and kind of ruined the possibility, I thought all the third parties represented in Smash were gonna get 3 fighters, echo or not, and Sega and Capcom are definitely there.

That's probably all BS though and anything could happen.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Color Theory, I would be ecstatic for the colors of the DLC characters to mean something, like a tiny little hint for what's to come. I actually believe Banjo's color is going to be orange (I feel like the tag over his current preview picture on the Smash site is an indicator of this), but whether this really amounts to anything beyond just looking nice has still yet to be determined.

I will say this, though:

If the DLC color backdrops continue to follow the color scheme of the rainbow, it'd probably feel weird to only do six out of a usual seven colors of the rainbow. If Color Theory holds up until the final DLC release, honestly, I'd say we're almost guaranteed one more Bonus to complete the set.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
To get a little more into this color theory now that I have the time, I also had a theory about it related to the color of the stars from Mario RPG. But instead of relying on the DLC having an additional character, it was based on the "never-evers", the popular, oft fan-requested characters that seemed like they'd never get in. So far, the colors actually work, and Hero doesn't necessarily break the pattern if we assume Japan thought of him as a never-ever. Banjo's gonna have to get a real page to see what color he is, but right now I'm thinking of the following. Not only do the colors matter, but the scenario from where the stars were obtained (which is maximum theorycraft but whatever):

Ridley - Darker Purple (Star Hill) [Given for free]
Simon - Red (Volcano) [after beating a zombie]
K. Rool - Green (Forest Maze) [compariable to DK's jungle?]
Hero - Lighter Purple (By the sea) [Japan is by the sea]
Banjo - Yellow (Smithy's star) [obtained from an unstoppable, foreign machine (Microsoft)]

so that leaves us with two - Light Blue, and Orange. Banjo could of course be Orange, (dug out from the mines), which is still actually relevant to his situation before being added to Smash.

Colors given to the characters sometimes seem in line with their coloration, but other times seem almost entirely arbitrary, such as Incineroar's color being Yellow. The color is always on the character in some way, though. I could honestly see Geno having a yellow background.
I feel like calling Hero a "never-ever" in any context is a bit misguided. Out of all the polls that I've seen (not counting ones conducted after Hero got leaked, since that would obviously influence things), the only DQ rep that I've seen perform even respectably well on any of them was Slime, and even he struggled to crack top 50 most of the time. The truth is that despite DQ's popularity as a series, the demand for a DQ rep wasn't really there (at least not at "never-ever" levels) until it got leaked, even in Japan.
Eh, as much as I love Okami, if Capcom gets another character, I frankly don't expect it to take priority over DMC, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil seeing how they're all strictly bigger names in the world of gaming and/or more highly demanded. It's one of those things where the character themselves certainly has the merit to be up for consideration, but ultimately kind of gets screwed by the level of competition they're up against.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Don't know much about Okami but I can imagine her having a pretty unique moveset. She does have a lot of competition though. If we would get another Capcom character I don't think they would pick her over Dante, Phoenix or Leon/Jill.

Firox

Smash Master
In regards to Color Theory, I would be ecstatic for the colors of the DLC characters to mean something, like a tiny little hint for what's to come. I actually believe Banjo's color is going to be orange (I feel like the tag over his current preview picture on the Smash site is an indicator of this), but whether this really amounts to anything beyond just looking nice has still yet to be determined.

I will say this, though:

If the DLC color backdrops continue to follow the color scheme of the rainbow, it'd probably feel weird to only do six out of a usual seven colors of the rainbow. If Color Theory holds up until the final DLC release, honestly, I'd say we're almost guaranteed one more Bonus to complete the set.
When you consider the fact that Sm4sh had 7 DLC characters and Ultimate only has 6, it really does make you wonder if more are on the way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When you consider the fact that Sm4sh had 7 DLC characters and Ultimate only has 6, it really does make you wonder if more are on the way.
fwiw i still want to believe in the 10 remaining WoL slots after this pass is completed. They did fill all the slots for 4 after all

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Not really? I'm sorry but if you've played Shovel Knight as much as I have, you'd know that none of his animations would even remotely look like sword swings. The shovel blade wouldn't feel like another swordfighter because it's a shovel. You scoop with it and you charge a slash with it that only affects in front of you. Heck, the pogo jump would be a much more unique version to Link's. My point is that Shovel Knight would feel different just because his item options are insanely different from any swordfighter we have. Anything besides an anime swordfighter would have a different playstyle. He's probably be more akin to Mega Man, his main inspiration, anyway. Just saying.
See thing is you're right. But I just can't get that idea out of my head. I've been scarred by repititive sword fighters lol and now I'm afraid of more even the likes of Llyod Irving. And admittedly my gaming experience is not very widespread. I've played Shovel Knight and liked it and even know what you mean. It's just an unshakable perception for some reason for me. Don't take it personally it is my own fault not yours. So yeah I'm sorry if I offended please understand that I genuinely want all characters to some degree even if I don't personally know or really care for them. Shovel Knight is still much higher than a lot of other candidates for me actually, but my personal list of desired characters really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway I'm going to go back to keeping myself positive and staying away from the character bias talk because that's always a slippery slope for someone like me who has a big mouth. I'm going to keep working on making movesets for characters that I'm inspired to work on movesets for like the Frisk and Geno ones I made. I just finished writing one up for Crash (a character who admittedly doesn't have as much moveset potential as plenty of other characters but I like the moveset that I was able to piece together). Sometimes all the negativity really gets to me so I apologize for not keeping my chin up all the time but I'm trying.

D

Deleted member

I feel like calling Hero a "never-ever" in any context is a bit misguided. Out of all the polls that I've seen (not counting ones conducted after Hero got leaked, since that would obviously influence things), the only DQ rep that I've seen perform even respectably well on any of them was Slime, and even he struggled to crack top 50 most of the time. The truth is that despite DQ's popularity as a series, the demand for a DQ rep wasn't really there (at least not at "never-ever" levels) until it got leaked, even in Japan.
I really have a hard time thinking that a franchise so beloved that its releases have to be timed so as not to disrupt the entire Japanese economy wasn't a hot topic among Japanese fans for representation in Smash in some way. Especially after Cloud in 4? There's no way there wasn't a buzz. Besides, part of being a "never-ever" isn't necessarily popularity. The lack of true popularity is part of what makes them so impossible.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
OffBi OffBi Hi! First of all, welcome to SB!

Secondly, I agree that Geno, Crash, and an Undertale rep have something of a chance, even if Frisk's is probably very low and Geno is in a weird state. I do think Crash has a darn good shot. I hope he gets in for people like @Maxie and @JDCabrera who really want him the most. I love Crash myself, though, even if he isn't one of my most wanted. He'd be awesome to see in Smash. I love Undertale, too, so... I wouldn't mind seeing any UT rep that isn't Sans (mostly because I feel he's insanely overrated and Papyrus is the better skeleton, NYEH HEH HEH).

I'd love Klonoa, but I sincerely don't think he has much chance. Not only is he particularly niche, but unlike characters like Geno, K. Rool, Ridley, and B-K, he also doesn't have that HUGE Smash fan demand. On top of that, I'm not about to believe in color theory myself, even though seeing Geno/Doom Marine, RE rep, or Crash taking up the last spots with blue and orange would be awesome. I tend to not believe in patterns that don't have much ground beyond speculating very minor details (i.e. the FP background colors for some promo images).

If the last two slots were entirely up to me, I'd go with Geno (appeals to the older crowd) and Crash in terms of biases. If I wanted to do a boomer + zoomer pick kinda thing (god, I hate how those terms are misused nowadays, I'm only coining those in strictly video gamer-misconstruing terms), I'd go with Geno (for the older audience, also appealing to the younger audience who got the SNES Classic/Wii U VC release, of which there is quite a sizable base) and Doom Marine and/or Slayer (for the younger audience, given the recency of Doom Eternal and how big that's getting to be, also appealing to fans of OG Doom). Could also replace Doom with a RE rep and that'd still work great, appealing to younger audiences plenty, but not being unappealing to an older audience (such as fans of older RE games).

OffBi

Smash Ace
OffBi OffBi Hi! First of all, welcome to SB!

Secondly, I agree that Geno, Crash, and an Undertale rep have something of a chance, even if Frisk's is probably very low and Geno is in a weird state. I do think Crash has a darn good shot. I hope he gets in for people like @Maxie and @JDCabrera who really want him the most. I love Crash myself, though, even if he isn't one of my most wanted. He'd be awesome to see in Smash. I love Undertale, too, so... I wouldn't mind seeing any UT rep that isn't Sans (mostly because I feel he's insanely overrated and Papyrus is the better skeleton, NYEH HEH HEH).

I'd love Klonoa, but I sincerely don't think he has much chance. Not only is he particularly niche, but unlike characters like Geno, K. Rool, Ridley, and B-K, he also doesn't have that HUGE Smash fan demand. On top of that, I'm not about to believe in color theory myself, even though seeing Geno/Doom Marine, RE rep, or Crash taking up the last spots with blue and orange would be awesome. I tend to not believe in patterns that don't have much ground beyond speculating very minor details (i.e. the FP background colors for some promo images).

If the last two slots were entirely up to me, I'd go with Geno (appeals to the older crowd) and Crash in terms of biases. If I wanted to do a boomer + zoomer pick kinda thing (god, I hate how those terms are misused nowadays, I'm only coining those in strictly video gamer-misconstruing terms), I'd go with Geno (for the older audience, also appealing to the younger audience who got the SNES Classic/Wii U VC release, of which there is quite a sizable base) and Doom Marine and/or Slayer (for the younger audience, given the recency of Doom Eternal and how big that's getting to be, also appealing to fans of OG Doom). Could also replace Doom with a RE rep and that'd still work great, appealing to younger audiences plenty, but not being unappealing to an older audience (such as fans of older RE games).
Nice

D

Deleted member

nah the fighters pass has been boomer-centric unless you want to count Joker as too new to be a boomer character despite Persona being a 20 something year old series and SMT being older than that.

I'm gonna crack open a monster and cut the grass and not yield a single slot to the zoomer.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
nah the fighters pass has been boomer-centric unless you want to count Joker as too new to be a boomer character despite Persona being a 20 something year old series and SMT being older than that.

I'm gonna crack open a monster and cut the grass and not yield a single slot to the zoomer.
I mean, even though I'd love for them to all be 'boomer-centric' picks in terms of my biases, it's a smart business move and more fair for there to be more 'zoomer-centric' picks, too. After all, there are all sorts of audiences playing Smash, and it'd be the best move to try to appease them all as best as they can. I'm a 27-year-old girl who early-adopted the N64 when it was brand-new, all at the tender age of 4. That said... I know gaming isn't all about me and my age group, you know?

... still, I will say that, apart from Geno, I don't think anything can be as hype as B-K for me. Holy hell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, even though I'd love for them to all be 'boomer-centric' picks in terms of my biases, it's a smart business move and more fair for there to be more 'zoomer-centric' picks, too. After all, there are all sorts of audiences playing Smash, and it'd be the best move to try to appease them all as best as they can. I'm a 27-year-old girl who early-adopted the N64 when it was brand-new, all at the tender age of 4. That said... I know gaming isn't all about me and my age group, you know?

... still, I will say that, apart from Geno, I don't think anything can be as hype as B-K for me. Holy hell.
Honestly I think the thing that hyped me the most about Banjo was that he wasn't Steve and that E3 didn't end on just Hero. I hate that I have to admit that the joy I feel for Banjo is relief wearing a mask, but hey, that's how it is. I'm stoked for the people who honestly wanted him and I'll give him a shot. I think the vast majority of the "average" audience would prefer classic characters, too, though. Video gaming sort of feels like it's in a drought where we're not getting mainstream icons that can live up to the mostly all-star roster Smash has now. Every now and again you end up with something niche like Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight stepping in to take the reigns, and there might be a future for them where 7 year olds now will grow up and be glad that their childhood favorites are big franchises, but in terms of modern stuff making it into Smash, the best we got (and imo can get) is Splatoon.

If I was offered the pick between default skin fortnite brigade and like, goomba, I'd take the goomba and I think that makes business sense.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a heads up that posts are supposed to have at least ten characters in them; otherwise, it's considered spam. It helps to elaborate, at least a little.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The whole "boomer" and "zoomer" thing is annoying.

It's as if the older crowd can't possibly like new things, and the younger crowd can't possibly like things from before their birth.

Older people like Steve, too, and there are younger people who like Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, Geno, etc. as well. Just let people like/want what they like/want and don't be jerks, dang it.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

It's as if the older crowd can't possibly like new things, and the younger crowd can't possibly like things from before their birth.

Older people like Steve, too.
Yeah, not only are the terms misused, but they're also gross estimations of what gamers of different ages should or shouldn't like. People shouldn't be buttmad that there are young kids who love Geno, and just as much so, people shouldn't find outrage in older people liking Steve or Tracer. It's beyond stupid. As I was growing up, I played NES and SNES games, even though they were both before my time (well, the SNES just BARELY being before my time). I also love a lot of current games despite 'not being a zoomer'.

It's silly. It's just silly.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice

Older people like Steve, too, and there are younger people who like Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, Geno, etc. as well. Just let people like/want what they like/want and don't be jerks, dang it.
Exactly. Like, I'm 15, but my first videogame was an Snes I've got from my godfather, so I've aways been in love with retro games since I was little.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Like, I'm 15, but my first videogame was an Snes I've got from my godfather, so I've aways been in love with retro games since I was little.
Ahh, SNES, that was a good one to start with. That was the first major console I received when I was a kid, and I got Donkey Kong Country for the first game, and I played that thing half to death and back. I was ecstatic when I finally beat the thing. Lots of good memories.

Oh, and Mario Paint. Mario Paint was a fun little toy. Mostly played it for the little bug minigame and the music player. Good times.

I'm so old, good grief.

EDIT: Ah, I guess it also can't be understated how much I played Super Mario RPG when I eventually did receive the game. Wasn't a new copy, but, it was a working one nonetheless. The one who lent it to me had, like, a file with max stats, yet he had refused to fight Culex for whatever reason. I mopped that up for him on his behalf, I did.. :ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Ahh, SNES, that was a good one to start with. That was the first major console I received when I was a kid, and I got Donkey Kong Country for the first game, and I played that thing half to death and back. I was ecstatic when I finally beat the thing. Lots of good memories.
Does a DSi count as a major console? If so, that was my first when I was like 5 or so. Got it roundabout the launch of Spirit Tracks, which is probably why I'm so obscenely nostalgic for that game, haha

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
to help weather the drought of information we've been in I'd like to share my favorite geno reveal fan trailer I've seen thus far. I discovered it about a month ago and though it's been out almost a year the viewcount is pretty tiny so I'm willing to bet plenty among the geno faithful haven't heard of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSaFn65LAA

I think what I like so far is just how much it feels just like the style of the real trailers following the same structure and includes all of it's information and references in a way very reminiscent of Nintendo.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
to help weather the drought of information we've been I'd like to share my favorite geno reveal fan trailer I've seen thus far. I discovered it about a month ago and though it's been out almost a year the viewcount is pretty tiny so I'm willing to bet plenty among the geno faithful haven't heard of it.

I think what I like so far is just how much it feels just like the style of the real trailers following the same structure and includes all of it's information and references in a way very reminiscent of Nintendo.
Not only did they animate a what-if cinematic, but they also did a 'gameplay' portion, to boot. This is such a cool little idea. The fanwork that I continue to come across never ceases to amaze!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Why hello there SmashBoards, i'm new here.
This post was supposed to go on 4chan, but alas, i'm goddamn IP blocked, so that's unfortunate.
Anyways, here we go.

This was supposed to go to the Ultimate social thread, sorry, i suck at this.
It would mean to me if someone would upload this to 4chan for me.

Colour theory(AKA Rainbow theory(AKA AKA SMRPG star colours theory)):

Characters that are likely to have their colour background Green, Red, Purple, Yellow or any other, will likely not be in Smash Bros DLC. Crossed out with Red colour.

Those being:
Green: Marina, Rash, Master Chief, Grookey final evo, VectorMan, Bubble dragon, Gex.
Red: I’m in no way in hell listing all of that ****.
Purple: Waluigi, Morrigan, Shantae, Neku.
Yellow: Kat(Gravity Rush 2), Saki, Scorpion, CJ.
Others: Space Invaders, Sora, Glover, Freddy, 2B, Heihachi, Quote, Metal Mario, Kiryu.

Company rep theory:

Companies that already have an rep will most likely not be in Smash (those being Nintendo, Sega, Enix, Microsoft and Capcom( Rathalos boss battle)). Crossed out with Green colour.
Those being:
Nintendo: DeMill, Mike Jones, Porky.
Sega: Arle.
Enix: Lara Croft.
Microsoft: Conker, Steve.
Capcom: Leon, Phoenix.
(We don’t know wherever Rathalos counts as a Capcom rep so lets skip past this one)

Most likely not happening:

Crossed out with Blue colour.
First things first, I just don’t think Kaisumi and Tracer, of all characters here, will ever get into Smash, EVER.
Rayman might not be able to get in.
Heavy and Gordon might not be able to cause Lord Gaben sent that email that he would let Nintendo use them AFTER they already choose the DLC.
Ryu probably won’t appear either.
And Indie characters probably won’t happen either.
Except maybe Undertale, there is a possibility.

And voila, 4 Namco reps (Kos-Mos, Chosen Undead, Amaterasu and Klonoa), 1 Bethesda (Doom Guy) , 1 Activison (Crash) AND a Square rep (Geno), and maybe Undertale.

There is a possibility that i'm wrong, but we shouldn't trust fake leaks *looks at Tracer leak*

I personally think it's gonna be Geno, Crash and Klonoa or Frisk.
Pretty nice theory here.

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
to help weather the drought of information we've been in I'd like to share my favorite geno reveal fan trailer I've seen thus far. I discovered it about a month ago and though it's been out almost a year the viewcount is pretty tiny so I'm willing to bet plenty among the geno faithful haven't heard of it.

Wow, thanks for sharing this was really cool to watch!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was about to say the exact same thing! "You kids and your new fangled mumbo jumbo!"
Newfangled? What are you talking about?

He's been around since the late nineties!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think people really take the boomer/ zoomer thing seriously. It's just a joke; a meme.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
*cracks open Kero Kero Cola*
Yup...
*sips Kero Kero Cola*
They don't make Smashboards threads like they used to...
*HP restoration noises*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom