• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ideally, a person's contribution to a conversation separates the objective and the subjective.
Furthermore, the subjective takes aren't made at the expense, detriment or belittlement of others; acknowledgement of a feeling is fine - big bonus points if you can present a fair view of your subjective feeling.

I don't know the full picture here, but I'd have to stick around for longer to really ascertain if the "ordeal" is that problematic it should be cut off completely. Feel free to throw out more reports if you think a poor tipping point is approaching again (doesn't necessarily mean said posts need infractions or are rule breaking). Hope that makes sense.
Huh...

Wish more people could have that kind of clarity.

I hope I've made it clear that I'm personally not upset with anyone other than myself for falling for something that wasn't meant to be. I've heard it's called 'being human' but I digress. Other than my blind faith in Sabi's NoA source weakening, nothing has really changed for me. Here is something I will say though.

I wouldn't expect Bonus DLC if I were anyone. Had we gotten a character reveal or a date that lead to a reveal, I would have been 100% behind Bonus DLC. However, because we will likely not see anything until a properly scheduled time like a Fall Direct and the The VGAs, I would say that at BEST Sakurai could drop a fast one on us in Jan/Feb with the gameplay breakdown of Fighter #5...but I wouldn't bet on it. They are just barely going to hit this deadline and despite being ahead of schedule, they have just severely limited themselves on reveals. This was a big one, and they passed it up. This pretty much leaves the two events I just listed and that's about it.

Also, I would expect a second Fighter's Pass more than Bonus DLC to be dropped on us suddenly in Jan/Feb. As long as the reveals are this crazy for the next two, sales of both DLC and the FP as a whole will be nutty, and I doubt Nintendo is crazy enough to stop there. I would say one more pass would make sense, and then they could stop it there.

Props for resenting Sword and Shield by the way. People of taste over there.
Ahh, I see you TOO are an online person of culture.

It's the people who don't that I can't understand. It's like they enjoy lackluster content or something.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno where this thing of Sabi saying she thinks it's "most likely" Smash related comes from. She, me and those who have contact with the person who gives us such hints once in a lifetime, we have no idea what is referencing to or what game is about. It's as simple as that, we have no clue. People on multiple sites are thinking either geno, resident evil rep, devil jin from tekken, edelgard, etc, as usual the community just tries to come up with ideas of what it could be about, if it's smash, but really there is nothing else aside from the picture itself, we just dont have any other clue lol. There is no confirmation whatsoever or a "most likely" chances of it being smash either, at this point it could be anything.

As far as the bird type thing goes, we only heard (from the person who shares the hints with us) that if they wanted to hint edelgard they would have used a black eagle in the picture for a hint about her, YET THIS DOES NOT MEAN that the type of bird really matters in the end for THIS hint. The hint could be still a word play, like the "star" part or whatever, WHO KNOWS. There is no solid indicative of what the actual hint in the picture is, if the type of bird, the colors, the size, the roof, a combination of those, the actual name of the bird, nothing, we just dont know lol.

Aaaand another of the ten have made themselves public. As he said, it matters but it may not be totally literal. It could be a pun or word play but, as said, if the hint was supposed to involve eagles, it would have been an eagle. The bird choice is deliberate but we don't know to what end.

QQS

Smash Lord
Don’t give up. It wasn’t the day, Hero was just recently released.

We still have some arguments to keep the hope:

The most solid: no Mii costume return. The normal: songs claimed at YouTube. The less solid but probably means something: the starling.

But I really doubt that Sakurai just cut the Mii a costume from this game or it will just return. If it was deleted from this game, it wouldn’t make sense cause Geno has been evolving in Smash; and if it’s supposed to return, the right moment was with Hero’s pack. So the best case it that Geno will be a character, don’t know if a DLC Bonus or from the DLC pass, but he will be in. I don’t think that Sakurai will eradicate 2 decades of Geno demand. The fan service we have seen is amazing. It’s more accurate even for them, to let us wait more and present Geno in the next Direct, letting Hero breathe normally, while Banjo being the next to be released.

I still believe that even if Geno is not fighter 4 or 5; he can still be a Bonus DLC or something like that, I merely doubt that Sakurai will close “Ultímate” without Geno being inside as a fighter. It’s amazing how can this character cause so much noyse. It’s still on his hands and we know that he consider Fans, always. Don’t forget that and just wait for the perfect moment. Remember Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Rool, Ridley, Banjo, etc. Geno will make it. He is the only left on that “Top World Requests”.

Its not over until it’s over, and that’s mean being a Mii a costumel or assist trophy. Geno is still living his best moment, yet.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Aaaand another of the ten have made themselves public. As he said, it matters but it may not be totally literal. It could be a pun or word play but, as said, if the hint was supposed to involve eagles, it would have been an eagle. The bird choice is deliberate but we don't know to what end.
People actually know me to be part of the group since i've been clearing things up about the 7 square enix names thread quite a few months ago lol so it's not really much news to some here to see me clearing things up. I just haven't been very active in the website for like a month or a few lately I guess haha.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So, today I finished getting every spirit in the game to level 99.

Watch to the end and you'll see why I bothered posting this here.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
People actually know me to be part of the group since i've been clearing things up about the 7 square enix names thread quite a few months ago lol so it's not really much news to some here to see me clearing things up. I just haven't been very active in the website for like a month or a few lately I guess haha.
Well thank you for helping clarify! Any little bit of information and perspective helps. I like piecing together all the pieces of this little mystery!

EDIT: I came back to post something else, but I see that posting has slowed down so that no one had replied since I did last. Anyway, EVO was great, and Geno’s chances shot up yet again with the Starling update. I’m happy with that. Goodnight, all!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, we have gone past 2 million views(I am seeing 2,001,695). Quite the achievement!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well I best put my mark on this Geno thread because I'm interested to see where this is going and as a Banjo & Kazooie supporter, I know the pain of seeing the stars almost align and then fade away at the last second. I'm not the biggest Geno supporter but he would be a cool character.

That being said, I think that if Geno is getting into Super Smash Bros Ultimate, he's getting in as a Bonus character much like Piranha Plant but with some music tracks to accompany him like Corrin in Smash 4. I can't see him being in the Fighters pass because Square already have the Hero and I don't think they'll get another spot on the pass just for Geno. That's more than I can say for Sora fans who will probably never get their time.

Anyway, I will be hanging around to see what everyone is posting and despite my belief that spirits deconfirm characters, Geno is the only character I can see that can break the mould because he's been requested as much as Banjo & Kazooie were so I hope everything works out for you guys! :^)

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be super honest right now and am going to post something that for the longest time I've seen other people say but always came off as super condescending to me:

I'm really disappointed in a lot of people in this thread for the way that you all are acting.

And I'm not talking about losing faith in Geno because there was no announcement at EVO. I saw that reaction coming from a mile away. But the sheer entitlement some people in this thread have when it comes to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and his information is getting to be too much to not say this. He doesn't owe anyone here anything. He's a guy who is passionate about a character and just happens to be in a gold mine of a discord server when it comes to genuine leaks and hints from people with inside knowledge. But just because he has access to that knowledge and is sharing that knowledge freely does not entitle you to it nor is he your little dog that needs to fetch you nuggets of information everytime you snap your fingers and @ his username.

To imply that he's somehow slighted people here or created a problem by sharing the Starling image in this thread and posting his speculation because it hasn't panned out yet is ridiculous. He's a fan like the rest of us and is taking what he's been shown and analyzing it. That's it. Whether you agree, disagree, take it as a confirmation of Geno or not is completely on you. He even explicitly brought up the fact that the starling thing and /or Geno might not pan out for EVO in the days leading up to tonight including several times today. Yet people were still accusing him of being in the wrong just because a thing didn't happen when they thought it might. I don't for a second think he's abandoning the thread anytime soon but this type of entitlement and scrutiny is the thing that makes people say "**** this" and just leave a place like this. And where would we be then? Down one long time member with who is super involved, and provides great speculation regarding Geno while also letting us know of rumblings regarding things that line up with our interests. Is that what people want? I really doubt it.

I also say the following being completely genuine: Some of you need to get hobbies outside of Smash speculation or maybe video games period. At the very least several of you folks need to go to counseling to develop some positive coping mechanisms not for the sake of this thread but for your own mental health and life. I am saying this as someone who has generalized anxiety disorder with obsessive tendencies, and I will very openly admit that I don't 100% have my **** together either. But being able to recognize when you are getting tangled up in your own obsessive/negative thoughts, and then also being able to take a step back and detangle yourself from them will do wonders for your stress level and ability to function in life.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I also feel like it'd be a very boring and unimportant leak if it was just another pokemon. Unless it was like a legendary? Why bother leaking that another bird pokemon will exist...?
Could potentially be the Diamond/Pearl remakes being announced early as some way to try to mitigate all of the Pokemon controversy. Starly was basically the first Pokemon outside of a starter you encountered in those games, so it would line-up with the Link's Awakening tease. I don't see any reason for them to announce such titles this early (thought they are almost definitely coming at some point) though... unless, like I said, they're trying to do something crazy like announcing all Pokemon will be available across both titles or something this early on.

That's the main thing I could think of for Pokemon that means something that I haven't ever heard discussed... mostly because it just doesn't make sense lol.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I actually havent been checking the thread....WHY did we think the starling thing was getting revealed last night? As far as I know there was NOTHING claiming that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Feel like sharing some positive vibes related to this years EVO.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I don't want to say "I told you so" but, oh well, not the way of putting.

I had a feeling that we wouldn't get an announcement in some way shape or form for the most part but maybe a tease of a direct or something akin to it but no dice.

Figured as much since we just got Smash info days earlier.

Welp. I still believe that the whole "starling" picture is an out there way of alluding to Geno but since Fatman and his buddies say that there's more to it and it has a meaning then...fine.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but I will still retain some questioning about it. Hopefully it means something positive.

Anyway, even if EVO was not the way or the stage for it, don't lose hope since it was kind of out there and soonish to get any kind of semblance of Geno. Keep those hopes for the future along around Banjo's release when it will be free state of discussion of what to expect.

Stay strong and keep on wishing.

:bowser::starman:.

link2702

Smash Champion
:( i see we didn’t get any announcements...

I went to sleep before everything was over, was hoping I’d wake up to some good news.

Oh well. No news is better than bad news. Back to sleep now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>nothing
This is extremely weird. Are we going to keep talking about that damn bird for months? This marks three weeks and a day and Sabi's source's hint still hasn't come to fruition.

EAv0k41U4AAKGrS.jpg

This came up and has bird characters, but it's third party, so I doubt the source was talking about this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ings_cuddly_but_fiesty_ninja_action_to_switch

Also, why on Earth would anyone mess with MGS fans like this?

Last edited:

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
>nothing
This is extremely weird. Are we going to keep talking about that damn bird for months? This marks three weeks and a day and Sabi's source's hint still hasn't come to fruition.

This came up and has bird characters, but it's third party, so I doubt the source was talking about this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ings_cuddly_but_fiesty_ninja_action_to_switch

I know I was saying that on Twitter that was so rude some of them actually thought he was coming to Tekken

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
You do know there's a good chance that the Geno Mii Costume will show up again. It honestly doesn't matter at this point, fate will refuse to change.
I've accepted that possibility, but it's not a sure thing until we see all the cards, baby. Being pessimistic because your bruised ego can't handle a little speculation let down is a you problem.

That's not surprising in the least, really. Did people actually think all the guests in the thread were people that were genuinely interested in us?

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice thank you for everything you do for this thread. You've helped make Geno speculation so interesting in the past year. You didn't even have to share this with us, but you did. I'm glad that you're keeping us in the know, and I'm glad you came back regularly in this thread after your brief hiatus some months ago.
This, so much this! Let's be honest with ourselves, he doesn't owe us any of the info he's privy to, he does it out of a love for the fanbase, and I see it as an absolute betrayal when people go around calling him into question and demanding more info from him. It's kind of disappointing, really. I just want to say thanks for all you do for us, my dude!

To the rest of you, and you know who you are

Are we done melting down yet? Got it out of our system? Good! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and suck it up. This was never a sure thing to begin with, and I thought we all understood that we were going into EVO sans guarantee and had all accepted that possibility, and yet here we are, banging our fists on the ground because we didn't get our way, going all pessimistic because of a little disappointment. We're better than this, I know we are. We can weather this storm. It's not over until it's over, and nobody, not you, not I, not wynn728 wynn728 has a say in that until Masahiro Sakurai personally closes out the DLC. Keep your chin up, lads.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
>nothing

Dont think its gonna be for months. Its clear we knew something about Hero so this source did not do anything with that, but they only waited a few weeks to leak Banjo because that must have been the time they found out.

If they found out about Character 4, its just a matter of timing and if the next character retroactively fits their descriptive pic. Nintendo does do an early september direct so i almost expect something there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dont think its gonna be for months. Its clear we knew something about Hero so this source did not do anything with that, but they only waited a few weeks to leak Banjo because that must have been the time they found out.

If they found out about Character 4, its just a matter of timing and if the next character retroactively fits their descriptive pic. Nintendo does do an early september direct so i almost expect something there.
If I'm not mistaken, the guy did say that we'd know what it is SOONTM, right? Maybe by next week, or something, if it's not as far as the butt end of Summer.

In the meantime, I wonder if there will be an Indies direct, since those usually come up at this time of year.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Its good that the leaker knows what bird they chose, down to the species. A black eagle perfectly describes edelgard. A starling literally describes nothing, UNLESS we make the connection about Geno.

I really think they just want us to pay attention to the nomenclature of the bird. It was probably done to drive us crazy lmao

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Its good that the leaker knows what bird they chose, down to the species. A black eagle perfectly describes edelgard. A starling literally describes nothing, UNLESS we make the connection about Geno.

I really think they just want us to pay attention to the nomenclature of the bird. It was probably done to drive us crazy lmao
I've been saying this before, and I'll say it again; the reason only makes sense to them, and in retrospect. For the crab one, it clicked to people after it was revealed to be a reference to Link's Awakening. At least it keeps the Nintendo ninjas off their backs.

Honestly. It probably is an indie game coming at this rate. I wonder what it could be though?
The source is known for preferring first and second party games and isn't very fond of third parties, so that would narrow it down severely since most indie games aren't related to the former.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Are we done melting down yet? Got it out of our system? Good! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and suck it up.
Hey I remember this situation! Banjo & Kazooie fans were all doom & gloom after Microsoft's E3 conference because Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash Bros wasn't revealed. Then we saw Nintendo's E3 conference...

Now Geno fans are all doom & gloom after EVO because Geno wasn't revealed to be in Smash Bros.

Will history repeat itself?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
:( i see we didn’t get any announcements...

I went to sleep before everything was over, was hoping I’d wake up to some good news.

Oh well. No news is better than bad news. Back to sleep now.
^^ Basically this

I think it's weird that Nintendo announced nothing at this year's EVO; it was the perfect opportunity for them to do so, so I guess that means they most likely don't have anything to announce for now.

Oh well, we can always just hang tight until October. We'll likely get something by Halloween.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
^^ Basically this

I think it's weird that Nintendo announced nothing at this year's EVO; it was the perfect opportunity for them to do so, so I guess that means they most likely don't have anything to announce for now.

Oh well, we can always just hang tight until October. We'll likely get something by Halloween.
You know, considering that everything with an announcement got leaked, Nintendo probably wisely backed out on this front. At least we were never promised a reveal. Tekken fans though...

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Hey I remember this situation! Banjo & Kazooie fans were all doom & gloom after Microsoft's E3 conference because Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash Bros wasn't revealed. Then we saw Nintendo's E3 conference...

Now Geno fans are all doom & gloom after EVO because Geno wasn't revealed to be in Smash Bros.

Will history repeat itself?
One can only hope

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Huh. Well, that was anticlimactic.

Never underestimate Nintendo in messing up marketing at times (Pacman reveal behind closed doors, revealing too many Ultimate characters too soon in the cycle so they end it on a fizzle, announcing a country wide gaming icon, from a series that was mandated not to release on a weekday due to the attention it gets, during a time when said country was asleep).

I can definitely see why people, myself included, thought something/anything was coming yesterday. Its not too early to announce character 4, Gamexplain posting a picture that was done before to hint that some announcement was coming like a Direct (could it had been for Hero's launch video but I thought no one knew anything about it, even that it was coming), Sabi's image, EVO being the biggest fighting event, Smash being Nintendo's biggest fighting game, Smash closing the event, almost every other game there had new announcements or releases. It was the perfect storm.

Then it turned into a drizzle.

Oh well, you just move on then.

People here need to back off on Fatman and Sabi. The bird was never indicated for Smash. It literally could be anything. But they could decide to not share anything again after seeing people's reactions to this. Yes, its been three weeks but maybe plans changed behind the scenes and people weren't ready to reveal whatever this picture is referring to, hence the delay. Just relax. Whatever the answer is will be revealed at some point. The Smash fanbase got significant egg on its face concerning how they treated insiders after the Grinch Hoax, so let's not repeat that. Just take insider info in stride, keep it in the back of your mind, and see where it goes from there. See how it pans out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
^^ Basically this

Nintendo don't announce things because it's the perfect opportunity to do so. They do it because they want to announce things when they're ready to do it.

Right now, they're probably not ready to announce anything yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not mad, I'm just puzzled. What on Earth is that bird even for?

Also, I doubt the source even paid attention to any big events lately, 9/10s of EVO were dedicated to third parties, so that wouldn't interest them.

Nintendo don't announce things because it's the perfect opportunity to do so. They do it because they want to announce things when they're ready to do it.

Exactly, especially since there aren't enough characters in the pass to throw around willy-nilly. Maybe we'll know something after Banjo and Kazooie get their feature, as it courteously should.

If anything, the fact that nothing happened should kill off the notion that reveals for this DLC cycle need to all be at big events.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

I think people feel that it was a wasted opportunity. Logically, it makes sense to show something. But again, Japanese gaming icon showcased at 2AM in Western event. Sometimes Nintendo goes in bizarre anti-logical directions with hype.

Maybe the Hero video announcement should have been yesterday than last week.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think people feel that it was a wasted opportunity. Logically, it makes sense to show something. But again, Japanese gaming icon showcased at 2AM in Western event. Sometimes Nintendo goes in bizarre anti-logical directions with hype.

Maybe the Hero video announcement should have been yesterday than last week.
I think they don't really feel the need to be glory hogs for the sake of it, they always did their own thing; modestly, not necessarily parroting what everyone else does, and just showing things off when they're ready. They rarely hijack other people's events, let alone those of companies like Microsoft. Heck, some of the other users here went on about how Smash reveals would just overshadow other people's stuff.

It may just be cultural differences, really.

Besides, a reveal would have been leaked to hell and back, seeing as everyone else's surprises got ruined by leakers and even Warner Bros.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Waking up seeing that MKLeo won EVO. Man of course he does. He's so good at the game he wins literally everything. I like him but I really feel like he's the Roman Reigns of Smash Ultimate.

Congrats to him, Tweek and Gluttony all getting the top 3. I was kind of hoping that Gluttony would win, but 3rd place is good enough for me.

D

Deleted member

R.I.P. to MvC4 doh.

Not finding Geno impossible yet, but MvC4 is still in the air.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, with E3 barely 2 months behind us and Hero's release last week, I think we are done with Smash news until fall, at the very least nothing in August. There will probably be a Fall Direct to showcase the end of the year games and that will most likely have character 4. Let's guess late October.

If they continue the pattern, we can expect an out of the blue drop for Banjo that will go into details about his play style and stage, and it will only be about Banjo or related things from Microsoft. And so far, those detail videos have been independent of any events. Then Banjo will be available around 24 hours from then, like Joker and Hero. I'm saying the first ten days of October.

So we should probably take a break from hovering over Nintendo media hoping for something to come for the time being. Something could pop up, but its very low.

Dynamic Worlok

Waking up seeing that MKLeo won EVO. Man of course he does. He's so good at the game he wins literally everything. I like him but I really feel like he's the Roman Reigns of Smash Ultimate.

Congrats to him, Tweek and Gluttony all getting the top 3. I was kind of hoping that Gluttony would win, but 3rd place is good enough for me.
It was a hell of a comeback though. Tweek had him two games to zero and he comes back to win the whole thing

What shocks me is the fact that they lack moderators, or moderators that care. It’s 2019.. you can’t use that language. It’s one thing to hate something, it’s another thing to be throwing slurs out there left and right. Whether you hate something or not, there is no use for that. Absolutely none.
It's 4chan, that type of stuff is what the site is built on. It shouldn't come as a surprise that people act like that. Expecting any of them to act with decency is wishful thinking.

More to the point I'm not surprised they're having a laugh at our expense, after we all-but presented our collective ass for blasting with all the tantrums being thrown this morning

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The fact 4chan lacks moderators or just doesn't have moderation that gives a **** shows that the site should probably be taken down if no one is going to step in and address everyones behavior.
Honestly, on 4chan it really depends where you're looking. /v/, /pol/ and /b/ are unbearable, but I've had entertaining times on /a/ and /vg/ where the ****posts are legitimately funny and mostly just people taking the mick out of each other rather than other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom