• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
The fact we're in a Smash hype phase where every newcomer is back, Ridley, Simon Belmont, and K. Rool have all been confirmed, and that's not even all the new faces, with characters like Isaac, Skull Kid, Banjo and Geno not only possible but likely, I still don't fully believe it. It's surreal.
Obviously it's just a game, but I would equate it to an abused dog finally given a treat and saying "f--- you" to the owner; that's my honest to God opinion. My reaction to Ridley/Rool wasn't surreal, but "Cool; this should've been in the game 10 years ago. What else have you got to show us?"

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I do feel like Geno would be the last character revealed. I feel like Sakurai would naturally have to point out "this is the final new addition to the Smash Bros. Ultimate roster, please, take a look," and then after his reveal he can have his moment during the gameplay footage to point out "this is a special character. His inclusion was very difficult, but his support among fans has been consistent for each iteration of Smash Bros. We've done our best to make sure anyone who plays as this character will enjoy him, regardless of whether or not you're familiar with him. I hope everyone will enjoy this final addition to the roster."
while that sounds sweet to us I feel like that would get a lot of hate sent our way unintentionally. like we stole the final slot from the rest of the wanted characters

Actually, the whole roster being perfectly divisible by 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the Smash Down mode kind of falls apart when you start considering DLC will likely be a thing. Even if the roster becomes the perfect number, it's more than likely that they'll be immediately messing that up. I think one of the reasons this has gotten some traction is because people WANT it to be true. Having another 9 characters in total to reveal, including Echo fighters, is still so much more than we ever expected, and it sounds good.

To be fair, I've said 3-4 unique newcomers, and 5-6 Echo fighters to go along with that isn't necessarily a huge stretch. But it does feel like one of those situations where it's a loose justification. I'm also not entirely convinced that we will get more Echo fighters versus unique newcomers. As big of a presence as they have this time around, I would prefer to see a more even split, but there is a much higher chance than I care to admit that we'll see more.

I just don't want to see him go crazy with Echo fighters like some people seem to expect (Not every third party now needs an Echo for god's sake).
I was just wondering if there was a smaller number that still worked with the division thing.

I'm still guessing 3 original characters and maybe 4 echos. rounding us to an even 80 total.
although really with Echos I think what is going on is they are only gonna be made for characters that were highly requested ballot picks that could fit as somebodies echo. so like Dixie or Shadow. not every possible option that could be seen as working. just for the ones that would have been high on the ballot.

Dan

Smash Lord
Guys, you have to watch this video. Watch the stage at the 2-minute mark (queued up):

The battle was cut short, but the chandeliers do come crashing down just like in the game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I mean, some people are actually mad that Ridley got in, lol. People are always going to be mad that their favorite character didn't get in, or just mad that their predictions were wrong.

"Geno looks weird without that squat style from SMRPG I hope youre happy"

"Geno can't do 9999% damage, they really had to butcher his character to make him work. Do you still think he's cool?"

Like yeah dude it's pretty cool and I'm pretty happy.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
while that sounds sweet to us I feel like that would get a lot of hate sent our way unintentionally. like we stole the final slot from the rest of the wanted characters

I was just wondering if there was a smaller number that still worked with the division thing.

I'm still guessing 3 original characters and maybe 4 echos. rounding us to an even 80 total.
although really with Echos I think what is going on is they are only gonna be made for characters that were highly requested ballot picks that could fit as somebodies echo. so like Dixie or Shadow. not every possible option that could be seen as working. just for the ones that would have been high on the ballot.
Geno wouldn't be stealing anything. He has just a right to be there as the rest of them.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Here, made a thing.
I mean, some people are actually mad that Ridley got in, lol. People are always going to be mad that their favorite character didn't get in, or just mad that their predictions were wrong.

"Geno looks weird without that squat style from SMRPG I hope youre happy"

"Geno can't do 9999% damage, they really had to butcher his character to make him work. Do you still think he's cool?"

Like yeah dude it's pretty cool and I'm pretty happy.
no reason he can't have geno whirl as his final smash and still do 9999 damage

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been working a lot lately and haven't had time to keep up with things. Has a direct been announced yet or are we in another information drought?

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
another information drought. The blurry image "leak" I would say is probably our closest thing, and as it's likely fake, is still a treat because of how well done it is. My favorite part of it though has got the be the memes/reactions that have come from it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Since Sakurai seems to enjoy collecting figures, I wonder if he would pay close attention to detail to all of Geno's joints and such, and any kind of transformation his limbs would have. Since Geno's just a big doll and all. And Sakurai's a huge nerd.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Since Sakurai seems to enjoy collecting figures, I wonder if he would pay close attention to detail to all of Geno's joints and such, and any kind of transformation his limbs would have. Since Geno's just a big doll and all. And Sakurai's a huge nerd.
If I remember correctly, he does have one of those posable, wooden figures that are often used for drawing, and that's how he plans out fighter animations/movements.

Seems to be a lot of activity in here today. Did I miss anything new?

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
If I remember correctly, he does have one of those posable, wooden figures that are often used for drawing, and that's how he plans out fighter animations/movements.

Seems to be a lot of activity in here today. Did I miss anything new?
Probably because we're getting a new direct soon. We always do in September.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Probably because we're getting a new direct soon. We always do in September.
Yeah it's been about a month without too much news, and in this hype cycle, that's about the point where people start to get antsy. With so many confirmations and deconfirmations already out of the way, the pool of newcomers is starting to get smaller. Everyone believes there character has a shot at the last spots for this reason and that one. So we all want to know if we're getting that character or not. Again, it makes sense given just how short of a cycle this Smash has had, but it makes things all the more heart-wrenching when fan favorites are known to be getting in, and there are only so many chances left.

I mean honestly, the list of characters with a real shot at getting in this game has gotten so comparatively short with everything we know:

For Unique Newcomers, we have:
Geno, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Shantae, Elma, a Pokemon representative, a Rhythm Heaven rep, and sort of, but not really Banjo Kazooie, and then the potential for completely legitimate surprise characters out of nowhere (Retro rep, Chibi-Robo and other series that don't have representatives, another third party)

Echo fighters is a lot more broad, but I do agree with the idea of those being based around requests, so:
Shadow, Isabelle, Ken, Dixie Kong, maybe Impa, maybe Medusa

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Just had a thought about Geno Whirl as a side special...would it hit all opponents in a line, or stop on the closest one? And how would the timed hit work: on contact with the target, or a set amount of time?

For me, it seems like the latter in both cases would be best, as the timing would feel closer to the original, and it would look weird if it stopped on hitting someone. It needs to keep going.

Thoughts?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Yeah it's been about a month without too much news, and in this hype cycle, that's about the point where people start to get antsy. With so many confirmations and deconfirmations already out of the way, the pool of newcomers is starting to get smaller. Everyone believes there character has a shot at the last spots for this reason and that one. So we all want to know if we're getting that character or not. Again, it makes sense given just how short of a cycle this Smash has had, but it makes things all the more heart-wrenching when fan favorites are known to be getting in, and there are only so many chances left.

I mean honestly, the list of characters with a real shot at getting in this game has gotten so comparatively short with everything we know:

For Unique Newcomers, we have:
Geno, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Shantae, Elma, a Pokemon representative, a Rhythm Heaven rep, and sort of, but not really Banjo Kazooie, and then the potential for completely legitimate surprise characters out of nowhere (Retro rep, Chibi-Robo and other series that don't have representatives, another third party)

Echo fighters is a lot more broad, but I do agree with the idea of those being based around requests, so:
Shadow, Isabelle, Ken, Dixie Kong, maybe Impa, maybe Medusa
Yes indeed. It's getting very crowded on the mountain top. Everyone jockeying for position in hopes of claiming those last fighter spots.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Welp, the "Holding off Mario Music for Geno" theory is dead.

Not that it changes that much. Geno's still gonna make it!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Been a while since I posted, at least it feels like a while. I actually am finally playing SMRPG for the first time today. Got the SNES Mini yesterday and finally got around to it. At this point I just got Mallow.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Been a while since I posted, at least it feels like a while. I actually am finally playing SMRPG for the first time today. Got the SNES Mini yesterday and finally got around to it. At this point I just got Mallow.
Nice, you're in for a great time, bud.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

Saw the song and immediately thought of you guys, so I came here to post this, but was obviously beaten to the punch. :laugh: Honestly though, this makes me feel a little better for Skull Kid's chances, because I believe Geno is a lock.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

This game is filled with such banger music though! dude the SMRPG music remix's are about to be LIT!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, if the music theory is true Geno's chances dropped dramatically

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I finally finished Super Mario RPG.

Already gave my support but now I'm doubling down, please add me to the list. Better late than never, right?

Though I gotta wonder, why the overwhelming support for Geno, but absolutely nothing for Mallow? Poor dude.

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
The music disconfirms the theory that they were holding Mario music back for a Geno reveal BUT the track played in Bowser's fighter video still could be part of an SMRPG remix. I've still got faith.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462

Already gave my support but now I'm doubling down, please add me to the list. Better late than never, right?

Though I gotta wonder, why the overwhelming support for Geno, but absolutely nothing for Mallow? Poor dude.
Geno is cool and mysterious and has guns for hands. Mallow cries a lot and is weaker overall. I like both, but I like Geno much more

Tinfoil

Smash Cadet

I prefer Mallow myself.

D

Deleted member

Obviously the new Mario song isn't from Mario RPG. But could it be hinting at Geno after all? Hear me out.

Now obviously it's only a rumor but supposedly there will be a Nintendo Switch Online focused direct this thursday. Smash would be a big game for that, and they reveal new Smash music roughly every wednesday. If the rumors are true, could that mean that they chose a Mario track this week because they'll reveal Geno on Thursday?

As someone who would like to be added to that Geno support list, I sure hope so. But there is reason to doubt that will be the case.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Oof, yeah...I felt that one, lol. As a major supporter of that theory (and I believe the first to mention it, possibly?) that blow was pretty huge...oh well. At least I still have the "eights" conspiracy. Till that's debunked, of course.

Ah, Smash speculation...you are a harsh mistress...

In any case, I still fully believe in Geno. In fact, this makes me more sure of Bandana Dee--as the music theory hurt him. But if Geno is definitely in (and I believe he is,) and they upload the music from his trailer (which I still think they will,) then that means a series can have more than one sample. Which means Bdee's music could still happen.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they actually will give Geno his own series symbol (possibly the starman,) which would keep the theory alive...

Gah. Theories suck. I want hard facts! Where's my direct, Sakurai?

TBone06

Smash Ace
I won’t lie, I bought into that theory, but that’s just it, it’s just a theory. Skull Kid is another who is perceived to be a lock, and they already released a Zelda song. Same with Bandana Dee. This isn’t the end of the world. There are a few series that probably won’t get an update. This obviously stung, but at the end of the day it means nothing.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I'm starting to wonder if Sakurai simply just noticed our theory and released a different Mario song to throw us off the scent.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
It's not true and never was.
Agreed. Nonsensical theory based on almost nothing honestly. Just an instance of someone mentioning something "interesting" and other people taking it too far.

At the end of the day Geno is technically third party anyways.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Super Mario RPG is still Mario music. There's literally two Mario categories to go under. One that is dedicated to Mario Kart(though it could also just include other spin-offs too), and the rest. It makes the most sense to throw the music in the category it belongs in... Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom