• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I understand that, but I could at least drop my hope swiftly and begin moving on. I know that isn't for everyone though.
Again, Ridley destroys any point in such a thing from Sakurai. He specifically got in because people didn't move on when Sakurai said, "too big." Pac-Man, Villager, and the Miis were all similarly commented upon as probably not happening during the Brawl era. He changes his mind from game to game based on any number of factors. If he deconfirms Geno tomorrow, he could still very easily end up in Smash 6 (7?) if Sakurai produces it and changes his mind again.

I mean, the Smash community is the epitome of not moving on at this point. Both in terms of how fan requests have a tendency to stay prevalent, people's tendency to hold a grudge with things that happened months to over a decade ago regarding the game, and how a ton of Smash speculation is dominated by characters from well over a decade ago as well. I don't see an inherent issue with the first or last parts, you're allowed to like whoever you want, but the vast majority of the online Smash community doesn't really let go per se.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Again, Ridley destroys any point in such a thing from Sakurai. He specifically got in because people didn't move on when Sakurai said, "too big." Pac-Man, Villager, and the Miis were all similarly commented upon as probably not happening during the Brawl era. He changes his mind from game to game based on any number of factors. If he deconfirms Geno tomorrow, he could still very easily end up in Smash 6 (7?) if Sakurai produces it and changes his mind again.

I mean, the Smash community is the epitome of not moving on at this point. Both in terms of how fan requests have a tendency to stay prevalent, people's tendency to hold a grudge with things that happened months to over a decade ago regarding the game, and how a ton of Smash speculation is dominated by characters from well over a decade ago as well. I don't see an inherent issue with the first or last parts, you're allowed to like whoever you want, but the vast majority of the online Smash community doesn't really let go per se.
I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but you'd have to pry my darling star son from my cold, dead hands.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This is less about ending my support and more just ending me campaigning Geno for THIS Smash. I want Sakurai to give me hope or let me move on lol

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
There is no reason to stop supporting a character for Smash Bros after he has been deconfirmed. If anything, that is a sign of giving up. They are always listening. Don't make the same mistake Isaac fans made between Brawl and Smash 4

Firox

Smash Master
There is no reason to stop supporting a character for Smash Bros after he has been deconfirmed. If anything, that is a sign of giving up. They are always listening. Don't make the same mistake Isaac fans made between Brawl and Smash 4
Um, what? I've been a hardcore Isaac fan since the first game came out back on game boy advance. I've fought like hell to get him in there and I don't recall the other Isaac fans letting up at any point, especially when the official ballot came out. It's not our fault that for some idiotic reason Nintendo has chosen to abandon the franchise and Sakurai refuses to just take the plunge and make him playable. I mean, having Isaac as an assist trophy AND a costume, just make it official already. Heaven knows that Golden Sun could use a kick start a la Kid Icarus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is less about ending my support and more just ending me campaigning Geno for THIS Smash. I want Sakurai to give me hope or let me move on lol
The way I see it is that you can still be a supporter for him, but you have every right to give up on him for this particular game. If you'd rather wait till we get a costume as evidence enough(in your opinion) he's dead, that's fine too.

I get what you mean, though. Waiting forever is annoying. We had to wait a long time to find out what Brave meant, and it was very off from what people thought. It wasn't a codename, it was the literal name of the character like Packun Flower. It just was basically the Japanese name of Hero translated. That was it.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Realized something unfortunate. If Geno's in he has to be revealed prior to Hero's release date, otherwise Hero's Mii costumes get shown off and if Geno's is there then he's most likely not in, but if it's not there then you kind of spoil the surprise that he's in.

And that seems unlikely since the third character is dated for a Fall release, and they probably wouldn't reveal Geno, the fourth character, before the release of the second.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Realized something unfortunate. If Geno's in he has to be revealed prior to Hero's release date, otherwise Hero's Mii costumes get shown off and if Geno's is there then he's most likely not in, but if it's not there then you kind of spoil the surprise that he's in.

And that seems unlikely since the third character is dated for a Fall release, and they probably wouldn't reveal Geno, the fourth character, before the release of the second.
I mean, I honestly thought that was kind of obvious.

I've pretty much already counted Geno out of the Fighter's Pass myself. The costume feels inevitable at this point. Unless they plan more DLC in the future, it's just not going to be his time yet.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
View attachment 229001
Based Japan. Even they know that Geno is the true final boss of missing characters in Smash. "Now we just need Geno!! Please, give us geno!!" We're all in this Genoboat together. Glad to see the support is still strong over there, we need all the help we can get.
Yea I don’t know why all of a sudden this thread the last few pages has gotten so cynical. That’s a good way of putting it, he’s the final boss of missing fan characters.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hopefully they don't pull the same "Hey look how important Geno is with this Mii costume reveal in the style of a fighter reveal. But Him being playable? lol" crap.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yea I don’t know why all of a sudden this thread the last few pages has gotten so cynical. That’s a good way of putting it, he’s the final boss of missing fan characters.
It's less cynicism and more reality. Even though I think he isn't in the Fighter's Pass, I'm very positive that we will see him return one day! Whether it's future DLC, Smash 6, a new Mario RPG... something. I have faith that, if Nintendo can bring back Banjo and freaking Kazooie, they can bring back Geno. Never lose hope, y'all! I'm very optimistic about his future!

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman

You're technically correct but Nintendo has done very dumb things in the past and even relating to Smash itself case and point, Box Theory being true. They kind of screwed the pooch there so they can totally let the surprise slip and not everybody would find it suspicious I just asked my two friends right now if they'd find it suspicious and one said they did while the other one didn't.

I don't think everyone would think it's suspicious so while I think it would not everybody would think that. And again Nintendo let info slip and has done very stupid things with it in the past like Box Theory.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
You're technically correct but Nintendo has done very dumb things in the past and even relating to Smash itself case and point, Box Theory being true. They kind of screwed the pooch there so they can totally let the surprise slip and not everybody would find it suspicious I just asked my two friends right now if they'd find it suspicious and one said they did while the other one didn't.

I don't think everyone would think it's suspicious so while I think it would not everybody would think that. And again Nintendo let info slip and has done very stupid things with it in the past like Box Theory.
That's a good point. I remember thinking there was more than Kencinroar left because there was no way Nintendo would implicitly tell us there are only two characters left.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would be happy if geno was in but since we got the hero that seems most than unlikely to happen at the very least his mii costume will be back and that would be better than nothing i guess. Fake geno is better than no geno.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So assuming Geno is in, who would be the next big "fan pick"? The only two I can think of that are close to him in popularity are Waluigi and Bandanna Waddle Dee.

Ultimate really knocked it out of the park with :ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie: huh?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So assuming Geno is in, who would be the next big "fan pick"? The only two I can think of that are close to him in popularity are Waluigi and Bandanna Waddle Dee.

Ultimate really knocked it out of the park with :ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie: huh?
I would only be able to think of Waluigi and Isaac at this point.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would say waluigi because he make a huge drama since the annoucement of his assist trophy and i'm in the waluigi train i cannot be happier if he was one of the dlc (except if dante shows up or best case scenario they are the last two dlc and i'm the happiest man in the world.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'd say Waluigi, Isaac and Bandana Dee are pretty strong. Dixie as well if the fanbase manages to shake off that Echo stigma and I think Ashley's fanbase would still be huge if she hadn't been disconfirmed so early (and nonchalantly). Maybe Rex & Spring Man too.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
This fanart look pretty good indeed! Someone must have put a lot of effort into this

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I really enjoy how it's pretty much a universal understanding that Geno is next in the Smash hierarchy. I was going through the wayback machine for the old Nsider forum and i'd say a solid 1/3 of the "most wanted" lists feature Geno pretty prominently. We're talking July of '07 before we even know any characters outside of the original Brawl trailer. He's up there with Wolf, Olimar (both of which were way more popular than I remember) and the [insert Fire Emblem character here, usually Lyn before Ike was revealed].

As I expected, you don't really see Banjo too often. People also didn't really seem to consider Geno 3rd party at the time, I think mostly because of Sakurai's comments on the matter.

Here's a funny screenshot of someone joking about there being 15 3rd party characters in a 100 character roster. We're only a couple off that 3rd party number now.

1561339183768.png

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
We already made most character out of nintendo i think so that's only natural to have more third party in smash in my opinion

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree, keep the fire burning, but Isaac wasn't excluded due to a lack of popularity. If you want to check any polls from 09-11 or 12, you'll see Isaac hovering around the top. I mean, a Golden Sun game came out between Brawl and Smash 4.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb-poll-lounge-dlc-mode-engaged.324324/
See for yourself. If anything, you might want to check where Geno lies circa the Brawl-4 interim.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I agree, keep the fire burning, but Isaac wasn't excluded due to a lack of popularity. If you want to check any polls from 09-11 or 12, you'll see Isaac hovering around the top. I mean, a Golden Sun game came out between Brawl and Smash 4.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-ssb-poll-lounge-dlc-mode-engaged.324324/
See for yourself. If anything, you might want to check where Geno lies circa the Brawl-4 interim.
That's interesting because that shows that in fact Geno did beat Banjo-Kazooie and Sora several times in poll results over the years.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think that's why we got a mii costume for the last game before any banjo or sora content.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's interesting because that shows that in fact Geno did beat Banjo-Kazooie and Sora several times in poll results over the years.
I think that's why we got a mii costume for the last game before any banjo or sora content.
Don't drink the Banjo Kool-aid; I love him to death and am elated he's in, but between like 2002-2014, he was not a heavily requested character. That was mostly predicated on his perceived impossibility, but the bottom line is the result was, despite claims of enduring demand, a subdued Banjo camp.

Peoples' hindsight seems to be limited. Until very recently the thought of Nintendo and Microsoft in open collaboration was all but dismissed. Much like how the thought of Nintendo and Sony in open collaboration is still dismissed.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Well, nothing goes to the way of a possible collaboration with Sony but that's not impossible that we got some Sony content

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, nothing goes to the way of a possible collaboration with Sony but that's not impossible that we got some Sony content
No, it's not impossible, but it's no coincidence that Sony is the only (major) company you see with all but zero presence in Smash speculation, despite having a large catalogue of characters.

Well, Sony and EA. But EA sucks.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Yo guys...
I believe. I believe this will be the time of Geno's arrival. There may be nothing concrete pointing to this, but there's just this curious feeling that his presence draws near. It is perfectly fine to keep expectations in check. Here's some SMRPG music for the wait. :)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
In terms of frontrunners for the next smash; I'd also propose that Sora, Bomberman, Shantae/Shovel Knight/ Sans/ Quote/ an indie rep and Skull Kid will also probably be highly requested.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Back when those characters were considered impossible and arguably as bad as requesting Goku to many people. I certainly agree that Geno was more popular than them during that era, but again, they were character choices hamstrung by their own viability (I mean for ****s sake, we have Banjo in the game and people were still debating this issue over the past year and Sora still can't catch a break in that regard). People tend not to vote for things they perceive as pointless or irrational because they want their vote to have weight and also play for the "winning" team. We've seen exactly what happens when the perceived walls break down for characters. People flock to the choice they didn't even realize was even close to a reality. Most of the points have been how Banjo Kazooie in particular performed better than pretty much every character around once they became viable options on a community wide scale thanks to Phil Spencer.

I think it's important to establish that context for these characters.

I really enjoy how it's pretty much a universal understanding that Geno is next in the Smash hierarchy. I was going through the wayback machine for the old Nsider forum and i'd say a solid 1/3 of the "most wanted" lists feature Geno pretty prominently. We're talking July of '07 before we even know any characters outside of the original Brawl trailer. He's up there with Wolf, Olimar (both of which were way more popular than I remember) and the [insert Fire Emblem character here, usually Lyn before Ike was revealed].

As I expected, you don't really see Banjo too often. People also didn't really seem to consider Geno 3rd party at the time, I think mostly because of Sakurai's comments on the matter.

Here's a funny screenshot of someone joking about there being 15 3rd party characters in a 100 character roster. We're only a couple off that 3rd party number now.

View attachment 229050
Let's not focus too much on the hierarchy of fan requests and such. The hierarchy stuff always gets fairly messy and people have a tendency to focus way too much on that aspect of a character's place in speculation to the point where it stifles all other stuff. I'm not trying to take away from Geno's popularity in that regard as much as I am trying to push back against front runners, hierarchies, and all of the other stuff some fans end up using a little too often. Geno's certainly a remnant of an era that seems so distant in terms of speculation who has stuck around, not denying that, but yeah. I think that just ends up with a better community in the long run with less focus on such things.

No, it's not impossible, but it's no coincidence that Sony is the only (major) company you see with all but zero presence in Smash speculation, despite having a large catalogue of characters.

Well, Sony and EA. But EA sucks.
Well, Cloud and Snake pretty much are Sony reps, and Crash Bandicoot might have a genuine shot for Smash... Honestly, Sony doesn't have that many consistent icons to even choose from given they abandon IPs and move on so quickly. So I'll take who we've gotten because they're some of the best ones we could have gotten that are more traditionally Sony reps.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, Cloud and Snake pretty much are Sony reps, and Crash Bandicoot might have a genuine shot for Smash... Honestly, Sony doesn't have that many consistent icons to even choose from given they abandon IPs and move on so quickly. So I'll take who we've gotten because they're some of the best ones we could have gotten that are more traditionally Sony reps.
I'm sure Square and Konami's lawyers would disagree.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That has nothing to do with demand though. They just didn't negotiate with Microsoft and Disney. Geno meanwhile had an easy in because Square Enix got a fighter. If Cloud didn't get in we'd have gotten nothing, fan demand be damned.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm sure Square and Konami's lawyers would disagree.
I mean they end up representing the PS1 era pretty well albeit unintentionally as they do belong to other companies. I'm well aware that they aren't Sony IPs and weren't trying to call them such. They just happen to be two of the characters most famously associated with Sony and the PS1 era as well, and work really well as accidental Sony representation.

Now if we can just get Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, we'll have officially usurped all the classic "Sony" characters they couldn't get for Playstation All-Stars and it will be ****ing great. Maybe a Spyro too.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Let's not focus too much on the hierarchy of fan requests and such. The hierarchy stuff always gets fairly messy and people have a tendency to focus way too much on that aspect of a character's place in speculation to the point where it stifles all other stuff. I'm not trying to take away from Geno's popularity in that regard as much as I am trying to push back against front runners, hierarchies, and all of the other stuff some fans end up using a little too often. Geno's certainly a remnant of an era that seems so distant in terms of speculation who has stuck around, not denying that, but yeah. I think that just ends up with a better community in the long run with less focus on such things.
The biggest things Geno has got going for him are his longevity and the rabid nature of his fans. Our obsession with the deuteragonist of a 90s SNES RPG has propelled him from his status as a cool part of a cool game to a widely recognized contender for the biggest crossover in video game history. Telling people not to phrase him as some kind of frontrunner is in complete opposition to the methods we've used to get Geno into the Smash community's lexicon over the last decade. I will continue saying he's a frontrunner and at the top of the fan hierarchy because he is. I will not "hype responsibly" because I am convinced we will meme-magic Geno into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom