• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Hey, uh, yeah, can we get the moderaters in here? This is bs. Grow up! You're entitled to your own opinions but I do NOT want this board to be shut down because you're acting like children over a rule that isn't set in stone. So cool your jets and go back to speculating PEACEFULLY and not over stupid junk that no one really cares about.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Shaddap. Do you know how many times I've been wrong in my 15 years here? Trust me, there are worse things than being wrong. Just roll with it. At worst people are assholes for, like, a week and then a vast majority of people stop caring. Pride over video games ain't ****. Just have whatever fun you can here without being a ****. It's all about being part of a community.
Woah! Easy there, Fatmanonice! You could have said it much better than that.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Shaddap. Do you know how many times I've been wrong in my 15 years here? Trust me, there are worse things than being wrong. Just roll with it. At worst people are assholes for, like, a week and then a vast majority of people stop caring. Pride over video games ain't ****. Just have whatever fun you can here without being a ****. It's all about being part of a community.
I don’t mind being wrong in the slightest, lol. I’m participating in it because I have very high confidence that Spirits deconfirm.

I’ll gladly close this account if I am wrong, 100%.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I don’t mind being wrong in the slightest, lol. I’m participating in it because I have very high confidence that Spirits deconfirm.

I’ll gladly close this account if I am wrong, 100%. No harm no foul.
Just stop. No one needs to shut down their accounts over something so trivial. It's stuff like this that ruins speculating for Smash because people BICKER over minute trash. It isn't worth it, so stop pestering each other.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There's no hard proof for it; but there isn't anything against it either. It's just a possibility.

I just think it is a better explanation then Square cut out both Chocobo and Geno costumes, because if they only removed the Geno costume it would be too suspicious.

If you look at the past year, DQ has also been a huge part of each Nintendo Direct as well.

Feb 2019: DQ 11S took a significant amount of time for the direct, being only second to Fire Emblem Three Houses in terms of overall runtime. This is not counting the DQ Builders trailer either. It took a whole 3:15s , which is pretty big for what is essentially an upgraded port from a year old game.

June 2019: Hero in Smash kickstarted the Direct, followed directly by DQ 11S on Switch; this took up 4 minutes of the direct in total. Only behind Luigi's Mansion 3, and Animal Crossing in terms of run time. Headlining the direct allowed it to get much more exposure then lets say if it was revealed after something like Banjo. It also got its own section on the Treehouse livestream.

July 2019: Hero releases at a time when no major Nintendo announcements were coming. The DQ presentation primarily focused on DQ, even outside the Mii costumes which is different from all other fighter showcases. I may be mistaken, but the first time non-DQ content is shown off is around 17 minutes in, in a 21 minute direct.

Sept 2019: This direct was the shortest in terms of DQ content, clocking in at around a minute.

So yeah, you can tell Nintendo/Square went all out trying to advertise this game. Overall, it got as much screen time as your average first party Nintendo game, which usually never happens for a 3rd party non-exclusive title. I think it's pretty fine to assume that the lack of Geno/Chocobo costumes could be a result of trying to maximize the exposure to DQ in it's presentation. It's a possibility, but I believe it's the most likely one.
But Dragon Quest 11 S was a major third party exclusive for Nintendo. Like, yes, Dragon Quest 11 had been on PS4 and 3DS, but this version with all of the massive upgrades and changes to the game that brought a ton for returning players was, for all intensive purposes, one of the biggest Nintendo third party releases ever. I totally understand why Nintendo would want to show this off beyond what they might for a regular third party title.

Like, imagine if Nintendo announced the Definitive Edition of The Witcher III was coming to Switch with huge improvements to the combat, added new areas, and a brand new unique 2D version of the game. Considering how big Dragon Quest is in Japan, I think that's a fair comparison and they would definitely milk that for everything it was worth.

I'm also not sure it's fair to really call the Hero stuff as specifically Dragon Quest 11 stuff given that I wouldn't call Terry's trailers or break downs in of themselves coverage for King of Fighter XV or anything of the sort. Sure, it got mentioned in Sakurai's presentation, but it wasn't really based around promoting 11.

What does that have to do with Geno? Not much really, just that I don't think the "push for Dragon Quest 11 S in the West" was nearly as big (or in some cases "bad") as people think. Like they advertised it like any notable release exclusive to the Switch, but they also showed off way more of Daemon X Machina across a year for example too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's change the topic: Geno's special attacks. Would Geno Whirl be just as overpowered in the game, or would it be more balanced?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If swears upset you, you should meet my wife. She's worse that me. She uses c*** as a term of endearment.
I wasn't saying swears upset me. I just meant you could have talked to the other guy better than the way you ended up doing, whether or not you meant any harm.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Let's change the topic: Geno's special attacks. Would Geno Whirl be just as overpowered in the game, or would it be more balanced?
No way can it be as powerful as it is in SMRPG, but I am not sure how they would balance it.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I said this on Discord but I just want to bring this back into everyone's mind for a second

All conjecture on my end, but would it really be good of them, as one of Nintendo's top brand ambassadors, to get their fans excited about something like this only for nothing of the sort to pan out?

Just think about it for a little while.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Power balance when translating moves to Smash is all over the place, so I can see it just being a fairly standard attack. Greninja’s Up B is Hydro Pump, one of the strongest moves he learns normally, and it does literally no damage. Meanwhile Charizard’s old Rock Smash (Rip) was a destroying machine. So I wouldn’t be too shocked if Geno Whirl is a chargeable standard special.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Just stop. No one needs to shut down their accounts over something so trivial. It's stuff like this that ruins speculating for Smash because people BICKER over minute trash. It isn't worth it, so stop pestering each other.
You are acting as if I’d be cutting an important part of my life away, lol.

I couldn’t care less if I had to close it or not.

D

Deleted member

Then what's stopping you from closing it now? Creating this ultimatum for yourself feels a little petty.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Then what's stopping you from closing it now? Creating this ultimatum for yourself feels a little petty.
Was there a Spirit promotion for FP5 just announced? Or was Cacomallow real, and Vergeben/Sabi were wrong?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh? Was there a Spirit promotion for FP5 just announced?
*facepalm* There is no need to act like this. It is not the end of the world if people don't think spirits will disconfirm, and it is not a crime, let alone a big enough one, to fight against. There is no need to cause this drama from something over a video game, which, last time I checked, is not even a world ending thing to worry about. There is no need to worry or cause any unnecessary drama.

So, be the bigger, more mature person and let it go, okay?

Droodle

Smash Lord
But Dragon Quest 11 S was a major third party exclusive for Nintendo. Like, yes, Dragon Quest 11 had been on PS4 and 3DS, but this version with all of the massive upgrades and changes to the game that brought a ton for returning players was, for all intensive purposes, one of the biggest Nintendo third party releases ever. I totally understand why Nintendo would want to show this off beyond what they might for a regular third party title.

Like, imagine if Nintendo announced the Definitive Edition of The Witcher III was coming to Switch with huge improvements to the combat, added new areas, and a brand new unique 2D version of the game. Considering how big Dragon Quest is in Japan, I think that's a fair comparison and they would definitely milk that for everything it was worth.

I'm also not sure it's fair to really call the Hero stuff as specifically Dragon Quest 11 stuff given that I wouldn't call Terry's trailers or break downs in of themselves coverage for King of Fighter XV or anything of the sort. Sure, it got mentioned in Sakurai's presentation, but it wasn't really based around promoting 11.

What does that have to do with Geno? Not much really, just that I don't think the "push for Dragon Quest 11 S in the West" was nearly as big (or in some cases "bad") as people think. Like they advertised it like any notable release exclusive to the Switch, but they also showed off way more of Daemon X Machina across a year for example too.
Nintendo clearly advertised the game a lot and saw it as a major release; but I think you oversell how much of the game was new, 90% of the things they advertised were already in the other versions. There were QoL improvements in combat, but no major changes were made outside of a couple new? attacks. The 2D mode was only new for the US, as it was already available in Japan. And most of the other things weren't even showcased that much in terms of advertising. Given how big the MIDI music and slow combat pacing were a big deal in the West (I don't think they were in JP), I think it's safe to assume they wanted the games to be as popular as possible in the West by "fixing the originals issues".

While Sakurai talks about Fatal Fury history a ton in his Terry direct, there is still a presence on other fighting game icons such as Ryu from an early point. The DQ presentation is 90% EXCLUSIVELY DQ.

I said this on Discord but I just want to bring this back into everyone's mind for a second

All conjecture on my end, but would it really be good of them, as one of Nintendo's top brand ambassadors, to get their fans excited about something like this only for nothing of the sort to pan out?

I don't think this really means anything in the long run. Outside of the one user, no one is saying that Spirits/ATs cannot be promoted post-pass; they certainly can.

I just want to talk about the possibility that we are getting no promotions, because Sakurai just wants to keep on adding new franchises. This is a totally possible outcome as well.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Folks, might I remind everyone that the ignore button exists. Use it, please. Rather than get our topic shutdown (AGAIN) because the arguments turn into a flame war, either because someone is deliberately trolling geno fans again, or someone is hellbent on a stance and won’t change it, just put the person on ignore.

Really if they’re trolls you’re just giving them what they want, if they’re not, well...clearly y’all don’t get along so quit arguing and just ignore list each other.

D

Deleted member

Was there a Spirit promotion for FP5 just announced? Or was Cacomallow real, and Vergeben/Sabi were wrong?
Who cares? You're making a big deal over nothing by saying you're going to close your account if you get something wrong. An easier solution would just be to save us all and yourself the trouble by just doing it now. You may as well be that kid on the playground that threatens to leave the (insert random sport) game if you don't get picked on the team you want to be on. Just chill pal.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

He said Rex would be FP5, lol.

*facepalm* There is no need to act like this. It is not the end of the world if people don't think spirits will disconfirm, and it is not a crime, let alone a big enough one, to fight against. There is no need to cause this drama from something over a video game, which, last time I checked, is not even a world ending thing to worry about. There is no need to worry or cause any unnecessary drama.

So, be the bigger, more mature person and let it go, okay?
Who cares? You're making a big deal over nothing by saying you're going to close your account if you get something wrong. An easier solution would just be to save us all and yourself the trouble by just doing it now. You may as well be that kid on the playground that threatens to leave the (insert random sport) game if you don't get picked on the team you want to be on. Just chill pal.
I don’t see how a simple account bet is “causing drama”.

(Oops, double post)

D

Deleted member

I don’t see how a simple account bet is “causing drama”.
It's your rude and childish behaviour. Saying things like you're gonna leave if you get one thing wrong just reinforces that childish behaviour. You're allowed to argue about spirits deconfirming, but you're not doing it in good faith.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It's your rude and childish behaviour. Saying things like you're gonna leave if you get one thing wrong just reinforces that childish behaviour. You're allowed to argue about spirits deconfirming, but you're not doing it in good faith.
Bruh

I literally agreed to it for fun.

I don’t see what is the problem with that.

D

Deleted member

Me watching the direct tomorrow knowing there will be another direct next week
FD48D488-3201-4519-A64A-A1CEE6EEE024.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Not much of a bet then, is it? Sounds more like you're giving yourself a free pass to leave the site.

I'll say it right now: Goodbye.
He said Rex would be FP5, lol.
Yeah bro! cuz he's totally gonna leak Fighter 5 right in front of Nintendo

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Can we please not start an argument about whether or not spirits deconfirm? There's 100% no proof that supports either side, so it's a moot point to bring up. You're getting all riled up and arguing about a fictional rule that neither Sakurai nor anyone on his team have confirmed as being remotely true. Just let the topic go and move on. Come on, what did I teach you guys about just responding with "ok." to blatant provocation? :( This isn't a place for debate, it's a place for support, speculation, creativity and sharing a mutual love for a character with other people. Don't go and get this place shut down because you want to be right about every argument that people bring here to deliberately cause trouble. It's not worth it since it won't change Geno's, or any character's fate, in the end. I'm not mad at anyone in particular, just disappointed because I know we can all do better and see through such obvious traps.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just a little, friendly hello after a long absence that will yet continue after this post, because I have received yet another lovely reminder of why the Smash Bros. fandom needs to burn in the fiery pits of hell, and that makes my little heart sing!

So, we have accusations of Geno's fan base doxing people, now do we? That's very cute, nicer still that these accusations were fluttering around on the wings of butterflies before an actual dox involving Sabi's old sources happened. You know, something terrible happening to two people who may now lose their jobs because some dip decided to leak their information? Oh, but that isn't a worry, sweethearts. No need to worry! We don't need to fear about people being used for their information and being thrown under a bus. Turn a blind eye to the real problems and blame those goshdarned Geno fans once again for their tomfoolery, because everything that ever goes wrong in this fandom is because of Geno and people who like his character, right?

What a fool I am. It's a shame to hear that, because I like Geno and would like to see him return, I'm a delusional, doxing good-for-nothing that doesn't deserve as much as breathing on a Smash Ultimate cartridge. Gatekeeping is a problem in the fan base, you say? Oh, no. It never would be. It's just those damn Geno fans being the stain to us all. They're what is wrong with the fandom entirely. How could I be so wrong in feeling that the toxicity elsewhere should be a priority over those horrible Geno fans liking their video game character? My priorities have been terribly skewed, wouldn't you say?

A better use of my time would be to go out of my way to spout bull ad nauseum to those horrible villains of Smash speculation and harass them over forums, over social media, and over any possible venue. Minors being dragged through the mud over Smash speculation? People losing their livelihoods? Those are but ants to the plague that is the Geno problem. Wake up, dear darling sheeple. Don't let the ~*~cult~*~ of Geno brainwash you! After all, dubbing Geno as a 'star-sent savior' means that this place is an obvious cult and church of Geno. Yes, let's compare Geno's fans to a cult, a very serious kind of group mentality that has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people including children. Geno fans are just that heinous, after all, aren't they? Tsk, tsk.

Now, if you will excuse me, I will go back to being a positive light elsewhere in the Smash community by being a ray of sunshine and smiling through it all, because heaven forbid I, as a Geno fan, express disdain with how his fan base as a whole is treated. Wouldn't that be awful? I'd be drinking that goddamn Kool-Aid. Guess I'll be dying along with everyone else in this thread, eh? Been a good one, lads. Been a damn good one.

A final aside: Let's not act like adults. Let's behave like immature children and stalk fans of a character to mess with them at every opportunity. Don't do it to fans of Reimu, Sora, Dante, Doom Marine, 2B, and so forth, though. Only the Geno fans are the heathens. Those other people believing in their characters and loving their characters? They're completely innocent. It's just those blasted Geno fans with their drawings of a cute puppet star man and their disgusting concept of, gasp... hope.

Yeah, and people wonder why I left. Enough of the crap and saccharine schtick. How's about we focus on, you know, the awful things like death threats being thrown at people, harassment, and actual doxing from actual doxing situations that have actually occurred?

I know that I will be burned at the stake for saying this as someone who likes Geno, though, so feel free to throw your knives and **** your rifles. :) I'll be taking my leave again now. Ta~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom