• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
At this point, personally, I think I'm going to just ignore code names all together. It's honestly impossible to discern what they're trying to do at this point, and with Arsene as Doyle, my eyes are just crossing. I'm likely just stupid and can't manage to sort through the information without just blue-screening.

I'll just stick to my safe bet of Erdrick for now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don’t think it’s eddy that would most likely give away his/her name
They haven't been great at dealing with sensitive data in code. And we only have 2 codenames to go by up to now (or 3 if we count pakkun, which is 99% direct).

In any case, I just hope people take it openly, rather than trying to (again) attack a character's chances because they want the slot to be someone they know.
We can be open to anything relating to brave.

And I hope the reveal isn't in that long because I enjoy speculation but more in openness.

But Doyle didn't even make Arsène(That would be Maurice Leblanc), so it's not direct lore. It's a reference to thievery, but from a different avenue.
I dont think the 'depth' of it matters, is the thing. because we only have 2 codenames to go by.

But anyway,
There was a big thing with Arsene Lupin. The author plagiarized (ie stole) the sherlock holmes name at some point and Doyle had to push legally to have it changed.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I dont think the 'depth' of it matters, is the thing. because we only have 2 codenames to go by.

But anyway,
There was a big thing with Arsene Lupin. The author plagiarized (ie stole) the sherlock holmes name at some point and Doyle had to push legally to have it changed.
I guess you could say that he thought, at the time, that... life will change?

Sorry. I'll pack up and leave now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess you could say that he thought, at the time, that... life will change?

Sorry. I'll pack up and leave now.
I'm not someone who pays good attention to music titles, so that could've easily been lost on me ;p

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would expect sakurai to have researched arsene's lore in order to make the character. It's a nice codename they probably happened to know, but it really doesn't change much at all. :/
As true as it doesn't change much, it is interesting that it is Doyle.

Why not Lupin or Maurice for his code name? LeBlanc would have been to much of a giveaway.

I'll agree that all this is is throwing out ideas that ultimately (hyuck) mean nothing. I just like looking for the Truth personally. I expect NOTHING now that I have my pipe dream Joker, but speculate we must to keep us (in)Sane.

EDIT: Just saw the other posts, things have been addressed. NVM

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Frankly, I am on the boat of:

Who the hell even freaking knows anymore?
Concerning Brave , I honestly think we won't know until he's/she's revealed.

I personally want it to be the bear and bird (or heck , my boi Geno) , but I honestly dunno. Looking at datamining and trying to speculate with this is very complicated.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Heh, "Brave". Nintendo finally picks a codename that nobody could possibly figure out.

In a deep, dark basement somewhere, a dataminer finds the codenames for the remaining three DLC.....Tangled, Frozen and Frozen 2....

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I know this is gonna be an unpopular and biased opinion, but I think Ninten has a decent shot at being Brave as well. The Flying Men are representative of his Bravery and Courage after all heh.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Joker brought a good number of spirits but they were all focused on Persona 5. I feel like this gives sort of a hint that spirits for future DLC will probably be focused on particular games. For example, if Banjo were to get in, I could see all the spirits being pulled from either Banjo Kazooie or Banjo Tooie instead of the whole series. Also, geeze, I'm kind of stunned at the amount of content in this update. Wiener pics aside, Stage Builder is better than it's ever been and the video editor option is pretty cool. They're definitely taking a Kirby Star Allies approach to this game and it really makes me wonder what the final product will look like if they're rolling out stuff like this at the beginning of DLC. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped something big like a major Adventure expansion alongside Character 4 or 5.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Joker brought a good number of spirits but they were all focused on Persona 5. I feel like this gives sort of a hint that spirits for future DLC will probably be focused on particular games. For example, if Banjo were to get in, I could see all the spirits being pulled from either Banjo Kazooie or Banjo Tooie instead of the whole series. Also, geeze, I'm kind of stunned at the amount of content in this update. Wiener pics aside, Stage Builder is better than it's ever been and the video editor option is pretty cool. They're definitely taking a Kirby Star Allies approach to this game and it really makes me wonder what the final product will look like if they're rolling out stuff like this at the beginning of DLC. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped something big like a major Adventure expansion alongside Character 4 or 5.
It's like Star Allies, but they actually had a whole game to work with at release. Good lord, this is gonna be good.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, remember when people thought Geno was the most likely Square pick? Those were the days, man.

On a less somber note, though, holy moly, the dream I had last night destroyed me. It was hilarious. B-K got into Smash and I was super hyped up, but then they pulled a curve ball and said that Geno was coming! ... to Fortnite.

I was like, "I'm sorry, WHAT?" Turns out, Square didn't want Geno in Smash for whatever reason, so Nintendo improvised to allow him and, for some reason, Rosalina as exclusive characters in the Switch version of Fortnite with Epic Games. People were confused and outraged. I was just plain baffled. I was like, "I mean, I'm happy to see my boy, but why... why Fortnite?"

I never woke up with my head so full of question marks before.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm a bit surprised if they're going to wait for the dlc releases to bring the old 3rd party mii costumes. This means we might have to wait for an SE rep to see the costumes :O

Personally I would've preferred that all of them get released at the same time, and then new ones be added as they make them. (except the ones that are tied to the released series like the protags from the older persona games)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, based on everything I've heard, I think Brave (if it winds up being the "big" character reserved for E3) is going to blindside people in a number of ways. There's a rumblings that this E3 is going to be nuts and Nintendo's plans for "Brave", if the rumors and hints are true, will probably leave everyone cross-eyed and in a cold sweat from excitement. I'm skeptical because some of it rings as too good to be true but it's the kind of grandstanding that Nintendo's been doing a lot of as of late. That said, "Brave" would have a lot attached to it to the point of questionably being overkill if the rumors are true and the character announcement would actually get overshadowed by what was announced with it, even for Smash fans.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I could see this considering the DLC spirits lacked a lot of characters I assumed would be a given for Persona/SMT/Atlus. But then that makes the whole datamined Rare spirits thing even more strange. Does this mean some sort of deal with Rare/Microsoft for spirits fell through last minute? Was this just a Atlus/Sega thing?

Also, based on everything I've heard, I think Brave (if it winds up being the "big" character reserved for E3) is going to blindside people in a number of ways. There's a rumblings that this E3 is going to be nuts and Nintendo's plans for "Brave", if the rumors and hints are true, will probably leave everyone cross-eyed and in a cold sweat from excitement. I'm skeptical because some of it rings as too good to be true but it's the kind of grandstanding that Nintendo's been doing a lot of as of late. That said, "Brave" would have a lot attached to it to the point of questionably being overkill if the rumors are true and the character announcement would actually get overshadowed by what was announced with it, even for Smash fans.
Nani the ****

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I knew it. Carly Rae Jepsen is coming to Smash.

My gay beating heart...

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Question: Was it said anywhere that fighter pass characters MUST come with a spirit board? I feel like they were just a bonus since it wasn’t advertised.

I’m gonna take that reveal with a huge grain of salt since if a character is tied to something unexpected, I feel like what the character is tied to would mean a lot more in the long run.

Unless of course we get two reveals and both end up being tied to stuff.

In other words I have no idea what I’m talking about right now and am just rambling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, ambigous stuff that may lead to nowhere, my favorite.

But jokes aside, im intrigued at the implications of your statement. That is, if they hold any weight. I could have some ideas of what that could be, but trying to predict a surpsie beats the point, i guess.

Man, remember when people thought Geno was the most likely Square pick? Those were the days, man.

On a less somber note, though, holy moly, the dream I had last night destroyed me. It was hilarious. B-K got into Smash and I was super hyped up, but then they pulled a curve ball and said that Geno was coming! ... to Fortnite.

I was like, "I'm sorry, WHAT?" Turns out, Square didn't want Geno in Smash for whatever reason, so Nintendo improvised to allow him and, for some reason, Rosalina as exclusive characters in the Switch version of Fortnite with Epic Games. People were confused and outraged. I was just plain baffled. I was like, "I mean, I'm happy to see my boy, but why... why Fortnite?"

I never woke up with my head so full of question marks before.
Imagine Geno doing a Default Dance. God please no.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I give credence to it because both Polar and her source have told our Discord to pay close attention to the statements of certain people. Like I said, the character would be tied to several announcements that would not only be arguably bigger than the character announcement itself but would probably be one of the main stories to come out of this E3. As always, I'm being super ambiguous because I haven't been cleared to talk about specifics but I will say that it's a red carpet treatment for a character if there ever was one if it winds up being true.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I give credence to it because both Polar and her source have told our Discord to pay close attention to the statements of certain people. Like I said, the character would be tied to several announcements that would not only be arguably bigger than the character announcement itself but would probably be one of the main stories to come out of this E3. As always, I'm being super ambiguous because I haven't been cleared to talk about specifics but I will say that it's a red carpet treatment for a character if there ever was one if it winds up being true.
I know you're not going to say either way but my prediction is Banjo-Kazooie as that'd line up with the Xbox on Switch rumors we heard about a while ago. Either BK or something insane like Master Chief but definitely something Microsoft related.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
What I hope: Ninten and or Claus with Mother 1-3 on Switch

What I think: Banjo Kazooie with Banjo Kazooie on Switch

I’m honestly kinda scared about E3 personally. I’m wondering how they’re going to fit all these game announcements together...

Unless Microsoft is doing some of the announcing.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This sounds like an ole fan favorite coming back home.

So it's someone like Geno or Banjo for sure.

Firox

Smash Master
If you think about it, with Sony bowing out of E3 this year and Nintendo and Microsoft being so friendly, what if the two teamed up to do something?
"With our powers combined, we are...Captain Switchbox!...er, MicroTendo?...Whatever, time to **** up some Sony ****!"

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'd be really interested to see what would happen to the SE character speculation if Brave ended up not being SE related at all considering a great deal of confidence left that Erdrick is still the SE character is the Brave name datamine. Because without that you'd just have the words of Tansut and the other leakers with less than trustworthy records.

D

Deleted member

Hey didn’t you say that Minecraft content was likely a red hearing?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey didn’t you say that Minecraft content was likely a red hearing?
I did and I based this on statements of reps that Polar is connected to. One of the people even went as far as to suggest that it was leak bait or simply misinformation put out there to deliberately throw people off. This isn't 100% confirmed but their confidence was pretty high and their connection with the gaming industry makes me take their insight on this seriously. Along with this, Smash has a long history of companies being brutally honest about representation in Smash and what I mean by this is when a developer or a character creator outright expresses doubt about a character joining Smash or mentioning they haven't been approached, they're virtually always telling the truth and aren't trying to be coy. Mojang employees saying that Minecraft content wasn't going to appear in Smash is more than likely them being honest instead of trying to be deceptive.

D

Deleted member

What do y'all think of the idea of a cutscene final smash for Geno, where he attacks his opponent with Mallow's help?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I did and I based this on statements of reps that Polar is connected to. One of the people even went as far as to suggest that it was leak bait or simply misinformation put out there to deliberately throw people off. This isn't 100% confirmed but their confidence was pretty high and their connection with the gaming industry makes me take their insight on this seriously. Along with this, Smash has a long history of companies being brutally honest about representation in Smash and what I mean by this is when a developer or a character creator outright expresses doubt about a character joining Smash or mentioning they haven't been approached, they're virtually always telling the truth and aren't trying to be coy. Mojang employees saying that Minecraft content wasn't going to appear in Smash is more than likely them being honest instead of trying to be deceptive.
I believe it was mentioned before, but would Mojang employees directly addressing Steve's chances violate an NDA? Not that one employee who was asked on the spot, but the people on Twitter. This leads me to believe that Steve might not be in. I know one of the people that expressed doubt was Mojang's Community Manager, and people say that she wouldn't truly know if Steve was in, but I don't know...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Assuming Nintendo held the rights for Geno/Mallow since the beginning. What would they be doing in Mario games today? Besides things like racing/parties/sports etc.

In this alternate universe I could see Nintendo giving Geno Rosalina's role in Super Mario Galaxy games and tweaking the story a little bit. I have no clue what they would do with Mallow.
Well, the RPG characters from Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi aren't even used in spin-offs, only in their games they originated from. Paper Mario got lucky and was able to enter the Mario & Luigi series, but then there's... well, every M&L player knows him: Fawful, a popular villain and hasn't even made it outside of Mario & Luigi, besides being a spirit in Smash.

If SMRPG was still going, I'd say Geno and Mallow would only be in there; I also believe they'd mostly be in cameos outside of the RPG series, and I think the Geno doll would've been a possessable weapon to use in the Wooded Kingdom. We most likely would've seen a Geno and Mallow costume/outfit in Odyssey for Mario to wear. This is only a rumor, so don't take it as if this is true. Someone told me Nintendo wanted to put a Geno/Mallow cameo in Paper Mario 64 by putting them in a portrait, but due to copyright issues with Square, this didn't happen. I'm pretty sure they tried to put Geno and Mallow in Paper Mario someway, but Geno could've made a cameo in Starborn Valley, the place where the star kids live.
I just realized, what if we get our second fighter announcement in May? Maybe even around May 13th, SMRPG's release date in America?

If it's the Square rep, that'd mean Geno being either confirmed or deconfirmed around his own game's anniversary. Can we get an oof?
Exactly a year later from the tweet, and maybe Nintendo did that to tease and give us a hint for exactly a year later.
I wouldn't count on it happening, but it's a nice idea, haha. I do hope this happens.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
As true as it doesn't change much, it is interesting that it is Doyle.

Why not Lupin or Maurice for his code name? LeBlanc would have been to much of a giveaway.

I'll agree that all this is is throwing out ideas that ultimately (hyuck) mean nothing. I just like looking for the Truth personally. I expect NOTHING now that I have my pipe dream Joker, but speculate we must to keep us (in)Sane.

EDIT: Just saw the other posts, things have been addressed. NVM
Doyle for Arsene would make sense considering how Japan views Lupin as a character and how his image is intertwined with Sherlock Holmes. Lupin is absurdly huge in Japan because of the Lupin III franchise (highly recommend the anime btw). This series had two crossovers with another very big anime series in Japan: Detective Conan (name derived from Arthur Conan Doyle himself). This crossover reiterates the crossover that already existed in literature with the original Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes. To the Japanese, this makes sense, but it's definitely a name that is harder to connect if you don't know your history.

I could see this considering the DLC spirits lacked a lot of characters I assumed would be a given for Persona/SMT/Atlus. But then that makes the whole datamined Rare spirits thing even more strange. Does this mean some sort of deal with Rare/Microsoft for spirits fell through last minute? Was this just a Atlus/Sega thing?

Nani the ****
???
What Rare spirits? I haven't heard of this being a thing.

I don't want to make myself look like an idiot, but this is exciting me more than it should. Is this what I actually think it is?
Better yet, is this related to SE at all?

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
What if E3 was a duo reveal of Banjo and Geno, followed by Rare Replay on Switch and a Super Mario Odyssey 2 with Geno as a playable character:drflip:

SKX31

Smash Master
???
What Rare spirits? I haven't heard of this being a thing.
In a datamine, Spirit data for Jet Force Gemini (Star Twins in Japan), Blast Corps (Blast Dozer in Japanese, both owned by Rare) and Devil's Third (owned by Nexon) were found tucked into its own folder. This is a thing that many people have been running with (then again, this entire subforum runs of hopes and dreams), but it could be something as mundane as Nintendo still owning the Japanese trademarks. Dinoman96 suggested it in this post.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'd be really interested to see what would happen to the SE character speculation if Brave ended up not being SE related at all considering a great deal of confidence left that Erdrick is still the SE character is the Brave name datamine. Because without that you'd just have the words of Tansut and the other leakers with less than trustworthy records.
Well, it would hopefully result in a better overall community that doesn't rely upon Brave as THE proof for their character. We've got a couple of different claims to him right now in places like Erdrick and Banjo Kazooie. It's easily been one of the dumbest parts of speculation is hearing everybody talk about Brave one way or another with just stats that don't really amount to much without context and were from ages ago. They shouldn't be the basis for anything.

SO, hopefully we'd get a community that's a little bit more representative of people's interest in specific games and characters instead of the focus on being right (Though some people aren't going to change just because Brave is shown to be X or Y, they'll attach to the next notable idea and run with it probably). But it'll hopefully be the start of an era in which nobody has the grounds to claim any particular character on some incomplete stats and open things up overall some more.

Erdrick still belongs to Dragon Quest though, and this speculation season has brought some legitimate fans out of the woodwork, so I don't think he'll be going away any time soon. I expect something Dragon Quest related to be in Smash before the game's DLC ends and I have my doubts about them settling for a Mii costume (Much like Master Chief and Sora, I think it's either a full character or nothing for those series when you're going so far as to include them). That's not to say Geno or any other Square rep can't be in at a separate point or even straight up be THE Square rep, but a decent number of them are unfortunately a little more easily converted to Mii costumes if Nintendo wills it.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Jesus Christ. That sounds crazy. If it is Geno then it has to be a remake/sequel and then him appearing in the future Mario games. However, I don't think that'll be the case. I still have a feeling that there will be a second season DLC fighter pass with either sakurai's choice or something where assist trophies/spirits have a "second chance".

So... If we were to hypothetically rule out Geno... Who could it possibly be? I feel like Dragon Quest has a lot going on this year already as is, so I personally don't think it's gonna be that. Maybe the great return of Banjo? That would be huge, but I'm not quite sure if I see it quite like how you're saying it's a red carpet treatment. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. I also think maybe master chief or doomguy? But it seems like they have their own thing going on, I don't think they're going to do anything crazy... Damn this is tough.

Do you have any idea as to if it's a return of a character or one that is still somewhat present in games today?

EDIT: Hold up, Banjo could be pretty likely actually. He is a mascot of XBOX in a way but is also a Nintendo character. He's a hybrid of both companies, and with how Nintendo and XBOX have been buddy buddy lately, it could actually be happening. This E3 could be focusing on their mutual partnership and banjo being an icon of said partnership. I really hope so. Banjobros are good guys, gotta stick up for my fellow boomerbros.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Based on what has been said about the rumored E3 character, I have doubts about Erdrick at E3 if he's in. The character in question would one-up it too much to the point of being kind of cruel. If there is a second character, it will probably be someone who is a fan favorite or even wild card whose fan base probably wouldn't be bothered if they weren't "the Big Reveal." Historically, new character reveals at E3 usually come in at least pairs with one that makes headlines and others that people could take or leave if they had the choice (Miis, Wii Fit, Palutena, Daisy, Roy, etc).

I've considered a timeline for an Erdrick reveal, such as "Dragon Quest Day" in May but I came to discover that 1. it only started last year and 2. it wasn't Square Enix it who started it. Apparently there's a committee in Japan that registers holidays. Basically you submit a request and if the committee likes it and votes in favor of it, you can register it as an unofficial holiday for roughly $1K. That said, it's kind of like National Donut Day or Talk Like a Pirate Day and was probably registered by a really avid fan. Square, however, could choose to recognize this day but it would be the first time they did it and it falls on a Monday this year which is usually a pretty awful day for video game announcements outside of E3. Putting this into consideration, I would say Erdrick would be the third reveal if he was in and it would be like an August reveal or even a TGS reveal in September.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Based on what has been said about the rumored E3 character, I have doubts about Erdrick at E3 if he's in. The character in question would one-up it too much to the point of being kind of cruel. If there is a second character, it will probably be someone who is a fan favorite or even wild card whose fan base probably wouldn't be bothered if they weren't "the Big Reveal." Historically, new character reveals at E3 usually come in at least pairs with one that makes headlines and others that people could take or leave if they had the choice (Miis, Wii Fit, Palutena, Daisy, Roy, etc).

I've considered a timeline for an Erdrick reveal, such as "Dragon Quest Day" in May but I came to discover that 1. it only started last year and 2. it wasn't Square Enix it who started it. Apparently there's a committee in Japan that registers holidays. Basically you submit a request and if the committee likes it and votes in favor of it, you can register it as an unofficial holiday for roughly $1K. That said, it's kind of like National Donut Day or Talk Like a Pirate Day and was probably registered by a really avid fan. Square, however, could choose to recognize this day but it would be the first time they did it and it falls on a Monday this year which is usually a pretty awful day for video game announcements outside of E3. Putting this into consideration, I would say Erdrick would be the third reveal if he was in and it would be like an August reveal or even a TGS reveal in September.
Do you think there is going to be a non-headliner addition (akin to your examples) among the five? I'm a bit skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom