• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I never said Geno or anyone else was 5. Just that in my opinion we're definitely getting Geno at some point here. But people are backing a text post that they don't even understand the context of with little hesitation.
Any text post that isn't from someone with a credible track record like Shinobi, Sabi, or Vergeben shouldn't even be looked upon. Unless said leaker get's several facts right in advance in the future.

Also, Geno is likely, but he isn't a lock because no one is no matter how likely they seem.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Any text post that isn't from someone with a credible track record like Shinobi, Sabi, or Vergeben shouldn't even be looked upon. Unless said leaker get's several facts right in advance in the future.

Also, Geno is likely, but he isn't a lock because no one is no matter how likely they seem.
Except you have no right to correct my OPINION that he's definitely coming. I choose to believe that he is.

You think after 13 years of support and constant disappointment that I don't realize that objectively he's not a lock at all?

Holy **** this thread is such a buzzkill at times. Everyone here is aware of all possibilities. We just got Terry Bogard for christ's sake

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

My favorite thing about Geno is his wiiiiddle nose, his wiiiiddle nose, doo doooo do dooo...

... wait, am I missing something or what? :drflip:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Except you have no right to correct my OPINION that he's definitely coming. I choose to believe that he is.

You think after 13 years of support and constant disappointment that I don't realize that objectively he's not a lock at all?

Holy **** this thread is such a buzzkill at times. Everyone here is aware of all possibilities. We just got Terry Bogard for christ's sake
Terry Bogard showning up literally means anyone can happen, but that isn't a guarantee that yours or my favorite is getting in. I use to think Porky and Lloyd were locks, but I've really changed my mind about who's likely and who's not after seeing Terry because really it's whoever Sakurai wants lol.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Terry Bogard showning up literally means anyone can happen, but that isn't a guarantee that yours or my favorite is getting in. I use to think Porky and Lloyd were locks, but I've really changed my mind about who's likely and who's not after seeing Terry because really it's whoever Sakurai wants lol.
I think you missed the point of why I brought up Terry. I brought him up as a way of saying that obviously I realize there are no locks when guys like Terry that no one asked for are getting in instead of Geno so far.

I choose to be positive and I'm sick of being told that anything can happen as if this is my first rodeo.

Geno is IN

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think you missed the point of why I brought up Terry. I brought him up as a way of saying that obviously I realize there are no locks when guys like Terry that no one asked for are getting in instead of Geno so far.

I choose to be positive and I'm sick of being told that anything can happen as if this is my first rodeo.

Geno is IN
I didn't miss the point, I'm just saying Sakurai and Nintendo's control of the roster is out of our hands.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
That must be nice.

Maybe I've been on the ride for too long, but I just want them to hurry up and either "gimme Geno" or kill my dreams once and for all. I'm sick and tired of this middle ground and speculation and trying to pretend that I care about the possibility of other characters, my second place characters are all in an assist trophy so the closest thing to realizable second place characters I "want", I don't even want - they're just better than Fortnite Larry or whatever other meme pick is the value price troll attempt of the week.

Hate to start the morning off cynical but coming into the Geno thread to find a list of 6 characters who are decidedly not Geno predicted left a bad taste in my mouth.
C'mon, my guy. You and Eric are the two lads I always am interested in hearing from in here. You guys are like opposing forces that I both want to have a drink or something with. Y'all are mad lads, and I don't like to see you upset. It is alright, it was just a prediction list. Geno is still likely as all get out, it isn't like the list nuked his chances.

(Also, I'd have a drink with Ovaltine Ovaltine As she brings the good vibes 'round these parts. We gotta have a chaotic good in this wild west of ours.)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Inspired in an old tale.

There once was a leaker who was bored as he sat in front of his PC watching the forums. To amuse himself he typed with great speed, "Geno! Geno! Geno is in Smash!"

The forum users rushed to read the post and try to get confirmation from the leaker. When they entered the thread, all they saw was a fake leak. The leaker laughed at the angered remarks from disappointed users.

"Don't post leaks" wrote one user, "when there's no convincing evidence to back it up!" The users left the thread.

Later, the leaker wrote yet again, "Geno! Geno! Geno's in Smash!" To his naughty delight, he watched as users re-entered the thread to see this new leak.

When the users saw it was yet another fake leak, one user sternly posted "Save your ****posting, and only post when there's an actual leak. Don't post Geno's in Smash when there's no credible evidence!"

But the leaker just grinned and watched as the users left the thread.

Later, the leaker found a CREDIBLE leak proving Geno's inclusion in Smash. Excited, frantically began typing on his keyboard to relay the news, "Geno! Geno!"

But the users thought he was ****posting again, and so they didn't look up the thread.

In the afternoon of the day of an announced Nintendo Direct, some users wondered what had happened with the Geno leaks? In the Direct, the finally saw the reveal of Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. They then went back to the forums to look at that thread they had ignored.

"Geno was really coming to Smash! He was just revealed today! I posted Geno! Why didn't you read?"

One of the forum Mods replied to the leaker.

"Sorry that your thread didn't get any attention", he wrote, adding a sad emoji and then a smiling emoji, "Nobody believes a liar... even when he is telling the truth!"

This entire speculation cycle in regards to Geno in particular has felt like that very same tale. We've been told, and made believe that he's in so many times, that we just can't believe that he's actually joining the roster now. :seuss: imo, he's in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Inspired in an old tale.

There once was a leaker who was bored as he sat in front of his PC watching the forums. To amuse himself he typed with great speed, "Geno! Geno! Geno is in Smash!"

The forum users rushed to read the post and try to get confirmation from the leaker. When they entered the thread, all they saw was a fake leak. The leaker laughed at the angered remarks from disappointed users.

"Don't post leaks" wrote one user, "when there's no convincing evidence to back it up!" The users left the thread.

Later, the leaker wrote yet again, "Geno! Geno! Geno's in Smash!" To his naughty delight, he watched as users re-entered the thread to see this new leak.

When the users saw it was yet another fake leak, one user sternly posted "Save your ****posting, and only post when there's an actual leak. Don't post Geno's in Smash when there's no credible evidence!"

But the leaker just grinned and watched as the users left the thread.

Later, the leaker found a CREDIBLE leak proving Geno's inclusion in Smash. Excited, frantically began typing on his keyboard to relay the news, "Geno! Geno!"

But the users thought he was ****posting again, and so they didn't look up the thread.

In the afternoon of the day of an announced Nintendo Direct, some users wondered what had happened with the Geno leaks? In the Direct, the finally saw the reveal of Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. They then went back to the forums to look at that thread they had ignored.

"Geno was really coming to Smash! He was just revealed today! I posted Geno! Why didn't you read?"

One of the forum Mods replied to the leaker.

"Sorry that your thread didn't get any attention", he wrote, adding a sad emoji and then a smiling emoji, "Nobody believes a liar... even when he is telling the truth!"

This entire speculation cycle in regards to Geno in particular has felt like that very same tale. We've been told, and made believe that he's in so many times, that we just can't believe that he's actually joining the roster now. :seuss: imo, he's in.
Beautiful!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
(Also, I'd have a drink with Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine Ovaltine As she brings the good vibes 'round these parts. We gotta have a chaotic good in this wild west of ours.)
Chaotic good, yeah... not chaotic evil, exactly, yeah...

No idea who stole all the Pepsi in the fridge, but I'm a chaotic good, so it definitely wasn't me... :drshrug:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious, is anyone here in the northeast? I live in NJ, maybe we can share friend codes so we can play smash together. Send me a DM and let's connect! I asked about the northeast because of internet connections, I don't mean to be bias lol

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I dont think that Kosmos leak has any legs to stand on, just a lucky guess. This same thing happened a month ago with the monster hunter + doomguy “leak”

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Things have gotten so crazy that if some random text “leak” or people even post random names, it catches on like wild fire. Even the whole doom slayer/guy thing. Bethseda says “oh yeah we talked about smash” then all the sudden it’s “he’s coming!” Despite actual companies who have their characters in either kept silent, dismissed or white lied about the rumors. Nothing against doom fans or anything, but NDA violations have bad consequences, to even suggest hints about the topic.

lesson here: stop believing or putting too much hype into these text crap. Just wait.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So the Tetris blocks are confirmed for Spirits in the next few days, apparently
I would genuinely love if Tetronimo was a playable character in Smash. I blame this for my love for a Tetris fighter. Imagine the announcer screaming "Tetronimo!" That would be super cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Been saying this for a few years ever since ultimate became a thing and usually got pushback because everyone wants to pretend its 2007 and SE is the buzzkill boogeyman.

It’s all on Nintendo and Sakurai to add him at this point. SE has shown they are more than willing to play ball in recent years
My big questions are the following:

1) If Nintendo is being a bunch of stingy morons about Geno, do you think Sakurai has the pull to override them? B-K is from a straight-up dead franchise owned by a direct competitor, yet they still got in by fan demand alone. SE, on the other hand, isn't even a direct competitor anymore and the Mario RPG's franchise is in desperate need of a boost (a Geno boost would be nice). With this in mind, it brings me to my next question...

2) Would the real obstacle be Nintendo?....or Sakurai himself? He's claimed in the past that he wants Geno, and the Mii costume in Sm4sh was a pretty great nod, however, if your answer to question 1 is yes, and if Geno still doesn't get in, would we be able to conclude that Geno just isn't a priority to Sakurai? After B-K, I have a hard time believing Geno couldn't get in unless Sakurai just simply doesn't give a damn (or at least places him so low on the priority list that he doesn't make the cut (which, considering the potential future DLC characters could say volumes)).

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I would genuinely love if Tetronimo was a playable character in Smash
Yep, we're officially getting new Tetris spirits soon.
A Tetrinimo block would definitely be something that Sakurai would pick considering that Piranha Plant is a playable character. For those who don't follow the Japanese Smash Bros. account, here are who represents each block:
-I Block = 3 Blue :ultcorrin:
-T Block = Pink :ultrob:
-S & Z Blocks = Pink :ultzss: and Green :ultsamus:
-L & J Blocks = Orange :ultluigi:
-O Block = Yellow :ultkirby:

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice

1) If Nintendo is being a bunch of stingy morons about Geno, do you think Sakurai has the pull to override them? B-K is from a straight-up dead franchise owned by a direct competitor, yet they still got in by fan demand alone. SE, on the other hand, isn't even a direct competitor anymore and the Mario RPG's franchise is in desperate need of a boost (a Geno boost would be nice). With this in mind, it brings me to my next question...

2) Would the real obstacle be Nintendo?....or Sakurai himself? He's claimed in the past that he wants Geno, and the Mii costume in Sm4sh was a pretty great nod, however, if your answer to question 1 is yes, and if Geno still doesn't get in, would we be able to conclude that Geno just isn't a priority to Sakurai? After B-K, I have a hard time believing Geno couldn't get in unless Sakurai just simply doesn't give a damn (or at least places him so low on the priority list that he doesn't make the cut (which, considering the potential future DLC characters could say volumes)).
Having BK, Ridley, K. Rool and Simon shows that he really cares about legacy characters and fan requests. My hope is that Geno will make it in for "wave 2".

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Yep, we're officially getting new Tetris spirits soon.
A Tetronimo block would definitely be something that Sakurai would pick considering that Piranha Plant is a playable character. For those who don't follow the Japanese Smash Bros. account, here are who represents each block:
-I Block = 3 Blue :ultcorrin:
-T Block = Pink :ultrob:
-S & Z Blocks = Pink :ultzss: and Green :ultsamus:
-L & J Blocks = Orange :ultluigi:
-O Block = Yellow :ultkirby:
Oh ho, I was thinking something more like the attachment, a Tetris Man. One made of all the different blocks and can change his form to fit the stuff.
I'm kind of an oddball, lol. I genuinely want a crazy-styled character like Labo Man or Tetronimo as a fighter. I like the idea of simple yet effective amalgam characters as a fighter.

Maybe I'm just weird but if we want to really go left field, these would be how you do it. By picking a character that isn't really a character at all. Like how Game and Watch is an amalgam character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello! I’m from Nintendo of Europe and I am here to confirm that CJ from Grand Theft Auto is a playable character! Big Smoke is coming in wave 2 also!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

C'mon, my guy. You and Eric are the two lads I always am interested in hearing from in here. You guys are like opposing forces that I both want to have a drink or something with. Y'all are mad lads, and I don't like to see you upset. It is alright, it was just a prediction list. Geno is still likely as all get out, it isn't like the list nuked his chances.

(Also, I'd have a drink with Ovaltine Ovaltine As she brings the good vibes 'round these parts. We gotta have a chaotic good in this wild west of ours.)
Sorry, even I can't be sunshine and rainbows all the time. Mostly because:

Sakurai just simply doesn't give a damn (or at least places him so low on the priority list that he doesn't make the cut (which, considering the potential future DLC characters could say volumes)).
People sit around smiling and making excuses for why a character that this guy can sit down and say "yeah I think he's cool and a great fit for Smash" isn't in the game yet, and while all of them are believable excuses, they can't be proven and are just outright fanfiction about how creating Smash works. The same Sakurai that says he doesn't like stringing people along in one interview does weird stuff that seems an awful lot like stringing people along, and is cryptic beyond necessity about how they go about choosing characters, going as far as to say that even characters who fit the game don't necessarily make it in for no reason.

Nothing about Smash is necessarily confidence inducing and then you combine how negative every other website on the planet is about this character, plus the fact that this thread gets virtually bombarded with people who stop by just to say "good luck but I think he doesn't have a chance lol" or something similar, it's hard to keep a positive outlook.

Also just to throw it out there, I'm pretty sure KOS-MOS wouldn't be a Namco rep. Namco published the Xenosaga games but Monolith still has the rights to her since she's a rare gacha blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Given that, she's actually a second party Nintendo character, and according to the BIG QUOTES "rules", she can't be in the fighter pass because she isn't third party.

D

Deleted member

Hello! I’m from Nintendo of Europe and I am here to confirm that CJ Anderson from Grand Theft Auto is a playable character! Big Smoke is coming in wave 2 also!
Oh hell yeah Big Smoke bros we did it! Our boy is finally home!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

1) There could definitely be complications behind the scenes, but I honest to god fully believe if Sakurai really does want Geno in this game, he can make that happen. Ultimate is his chance to put his money where his mouth is. He's beeing dropping pro-Geno quotes for over a decade at this point and has continually stated he'd be great in smash and gave a nod to his immense fan demand. Ultimate is the game where he has directly said he is trying to give the fans what they want.

Sakurai literally called dibs on reviving King K. Rool. The DK: Tropical Freeze development team wanted to bring him back as the final boss for the Switch port and they were told no. They were denied using the main DK villain in their own game because Sakurai wanted to make a splash with him. SE initially wanted a newer Final Fantasy character and Slime. Sakurai told them no, he wanted Cloud and Hero (FOUR different characters in one). And like you said, they made Banjo happen.

2) So yeah, in my opinion, this is on Sakurai. Despite his quote about Nintendo giving him a list of DLC to choose from (my guess is this was total BS just to get the fans off his back with constant requests), Piranha Plant and the Fighter Pass thus far has almost solely been characters that Sakurai himself really enjoys. He has shown time and time again that he gets what he wants with little compromise and I think at this point Nintendo has the respect for him to pretty much trust him with whatever he does.

Like I said, there is certainly a chance something else could happen behind the scenes to prevent Geno, but this is very unlikely. SE has been so lenient lately and let Nintendo use Geno on multiple occasions and even SMRPG music in Geno's Mii trailer. If Sakurai really does have Geno as a high priority, he'll be in.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I would genuinely love if Tetronimo was a playable character in Smash. I blame this for my love for a Tetris fighter. Imagine the announcer screaming "Tetronimo!" That would be super cool.
Hey I can dig this! For real that looks like a fun kit!

Firox

Smash Master
1) There could definitely be complications behind the scenes, but I honest to god fully believe if Sakurai really does want Geno in this game, he can make that happen. Ultimate is his chance to put his money where his mouth is. He's beeing dropping pro-Geno quotes for over a decade at this point and has continually stated he'd be great in smash and gave a nod to his immense fan demand. Ultimate is the game where he has directly said he is trying to give the fans what they want.

Sakurai literally called dibs on reviving King K. Rool. The DK: Tropical Freeze development team wanted to bring him back as the final boss for the Switch port and they were told no. They were denied using the main DK villain in their own game because Sakurai wanted to make a splash with him. SE initially wanted a newer Final Fantasy character and Slime. Sakurai told them no, he wanted Cloud and Hero (FOUR different characters in one). And like you said, they made Banjo happen.

2) So yeah, in my opinion, this is on Sakurai. Despite his quote about Nintendo giving him a list of DLC to choose from (my guess is this was total BS just to get the fans off his back with constant requests), Piranha Plant and the Fighter Pass thus far has almost solely been characters that Sakurai himself really enjoys. He has shown time and time again that he gets what he wants with little compromise and I think at this point Nintendo has the respect for him to pretty much trust him with whatever he does.

Like I said, there is certainly a chance something else could happen behind the scenes to prevent Geno, but this is very unlikely. SE has been so lenient lately and let Nintendo use Geno on multiple occasions and even SMRPG music in Geno's Mii trailer. If Sakurai really does have Geno as a high priority, he'll be in.
I think you really hit the nail on the head. Could not have said it better myself. Given what we know, I really think Sakurai has the power to put in literally ANYONE he wants at this point. In fact, I think a company would have to have a CRIPPLING amount of pride and stubbornness to deny any of his picks since getting a character into Smash is some of the best advertising and exposure a video game developer could possibly ask for. That said, I highly doubt Nintendo would stand in his way given what he's been able to achieve for them thus far. In short, the end of Ultimate DLC will tell us once and for all where his loyalties truly lie.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Also just to throw it out there, I'm pretty sure KOS-MOS wouldn't be a Namco rep. Namco published the Xenosaga games but Monolith still has the rights to her since she's a rare gacha blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Given that, she's actually a second party Nintendo character, and according to the BIG QUOTES "rules", she can't be in the fighter pass because she isn't third party.
Quick correction, Kos-Mos is actually owned by Namco and was licensed out to be used in Xenoblade 2. If you look at the artwork they released on Xenoblade 2's Kos-Mos you would see Bandai Namco copyright mark.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Ive been largely of the opinion its on the nintendo side as well, As far as square enix goes, my thought process has been that they were always fine with it, but wanted more than Nintendo were willing to fork over, which likely wouldnt be much.
Now as to who on the Nintendo side is the straggler is the question I've been pondering. Sakurai seems a good start for all the reasons that just got brought up but another possibility I don't see considered much is miyamoto. I think there might be a lot going on behind the scenes over the past couple decades in regards to rpg recognition because of this attachment to what is considered the 'Mario cannon'. If the sentiment permeated into smash as well then I wouldn't be surprised.

Firox

Smash Master
Ive been largely of the opinion its on the nintendo side as well, As far as square enix goes, my thought process has been that they were always fine with it, but wanted more than Nintendo were willing to fork over, which likely wouldnt be much.
Now as to who on the Nintendo side is the straggler is the question I've been pondering. Sakurai seems a good start for all the reasons that just got brought up but another possibility I don't see considered much is miyamoto. I think there might be a lot going on behind the scenes over the past couple decades in regards to rpg recognition because of this attachment to what is considered the 'Mario cannon'. If the sentiment permeated into smash as well then I wouldn't be surprised.
If Miyamoto ended up being the issue I would seriously wonder if his brain is broken or something. Even if he wanted to be hyper anal about what IS or ISN'T Mario cannon (because the world totally depends on it/s) what could he possibly have against Geno? I mean, I would personally say that SMRPG was one of the highest points in Mario lore and probably featured some of the juiciest substance to the Mario universe we've seen in a long time (bar the other Mario RPGs that followed). I would really hate to think that the selfish delusions of one man are what's holding back what could otherwise be a super hype, and potentially super lucrative, throwback to such a great game and franchise.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Terry's probably coming early November if I had to guess. Terry one week, Pokemon the next. Things have been so bone dry that I'm not expecting a full on Direct until January at the earliest. Despite a ton of leaks, GameFreak doesn't really seem to care so I'm not expecting a final Pokemon presentation like I used to. Best case scenario is that we get a Smash Direct in December to announce 5 and 6 but there's nothing right now to suggest that's going to happen.

D

Deleted member

Quick correction, Kos-Mos is actually owned by Namco and was licensed out to be used in Xenoblade 2. If you look at the artwork they released on Xenoblade 2's Kos-Mos you would see Bandai Namco copyright mark.
Bandai Namco is credited in Xenoblade 2's actual credit roll but not on the box or in any way that makes it seem like they own the character, like how Smash does it. Specifically, they're credited for design.

Even if he wanted to be hyper anal about what IS or ISN'T Mario cannon (because the world totally depends on it/s) what could he possibly have against Geno?
Well, he's not a generic Toad, for one. I think maybe I brought up the fact that Miyamoto might be someone to point fingers at earlier in this thread? Maybe I wanted to and thought better of it, but either way, I have brought up that Sakurai's speak of "collaboration" doesn't just mean third party, and he has to get the blessing of people we consider in-house at Nintendo to use their characters. There's gotta be some explanation for why we don't have any Paper Mario characters in Smash, yet, and Miyamoto's a great place to start.

Best case scenario is that we get a Smash Direct in December to announce 5 and 6 but there's nothing right now to suggest that's going to happen.
Thanks, I hate it.

D

Deleted member

Terry's probably coming early November if I had to guess. Terry one week, Pokemon the next. Things have been so bone dry that I'm not expecting a full on Direct until January at the earliest. Despite a ton of leaks, GameFreak doesn't really seem to care so I'm not expecting a final Pokemon presentation like I used to. Best case scenario is that we get a Smash Direct in December to announce 5 and 6 but there's nothing right now to suggest that's going to happen.
So we may not know Character 5 when Terry's presentation drops? Well in that case November-December will be quite the wait if this past week is anything to go off of.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It seems unlikely he will announce number 5, the way the Hero and Banjo presentation has gone it's all an impromptu live presentation of the character and the Mii stuff. So either its going to be some kind of Nintendo Direct or reveal at the VGA? Those last two seem more plausible.

Then again, anything can happen.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I too would be thrilled. I mean, she does resemble Alisa Bosconovitch from Tekken (my future secondary in Tekken should I ever go back), and her concept looks neato.

We need more women and we need more cybernetic-type characters.
We don't need more of any one type of character.

We just need more characters that fans want.

KOS-MOS may be on that list, but there are many more that are a higher priority in terms of demand, and the blue puppet boi is one of them.

Geno is IN
About that 'nobody asked for' portion there?

*Everyone in Latin America and in the FGC hated that*

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
While I agree that Sakurai clearly has weight to throw around, I wouldn't be so quick to argue that he is dictating these fighters pass characters or lied about Nintendo choosing the characters or has the power to force any character into the DLC. As others have said, Sakurai wasn't thrilled about the idea of a fighters pass that people had to pay for without knowing the contents and Nintendo could have chosen characters that they know Sakurai is knowledgeable of and would be excited to incorporate into Smash to get him on board. Also, many have pointed out that each character has many factors going for them that would be appealing for Nintendo: Joker represents Persona and SMT and SMT has a legacy and history on Nintendo consoles and also could encourage those who do not own a Switch to get one to play as Joker I'm Smash, Hero has a huge presence in Japan as well as a legacy that has been cemented on Nintendo consoles and also represents the amiability that is growing back between SE and Nintendo, Banjo has major Western demand and has been heavily requested by fans as well as demonstrates the fact that Microsoft and Nintendo are going to continue to grow in their partnerships not to mention that this wasn't even a Sakurai pick, and do I really even need to talk about Terry? I mean Terry makes the most sense of all seeing as how his games were the impetus behind Smash and SNK has been supportive of Nintendo over the years.

I mean unless fighter 5 breaks this in some major way it's safe to say that these picks do make sense for Nintendo to make. It is a little unfair to Sakurai to accuse him of lying when the man has poured himself into these games to such a degree and simply has made public the fact that (shocker) he, as a gamer, enjoys a variety of games and appreciates their legacies and what they have to offer *gasp*. Nintendo could pick from many other franchises that Sakurai has mentioned he likes simply because he likes many games. No I think it is still very much in Nintendo's shoulders who makes it in as DLC. We do not know what's going on behind the scenes. There may be no plans to add multiple fighters from the same company as DLC and they simply went with a Dragon Quest rep which really does make a lot of sense and isn't an attack on us.

We are always going to try and find evidence for Geno in any way we can because it's the way we see things and it's what we want to see. It's not unfair for Nintendo or Smash to give many nods to SMRPG (a game that was on the SNES classic and has been on previous eshops so clearly Nintendo has some degree of respect for it or at least knows it will sell well enough for their purposes) as an attempt to acknowledge fans without plans to actually include a character from the game in Smash. That is just the narrative that WE are writing and it's not fair of us to assume every little tiny detail SHOULD mean that conclusion when that very well probably isn't the intention of all these little details.

Many characters have similar little odd details here and there that make people believe they could be a candidate for Smash but it doesn't have to mean anything outside of Nintendo acknowledging other characters, games, franchises or whatever the case may be. Many little details =/= getting into Smash, yet it seems that's how everyone treats these things. The only thing that leads to getting into Smash at this point is being one of Nintendo's selected few and we simply don't know what adds or detracts from a character's chances in that regard. And I just went into all this detail to show that Nintendo probably really is the force in charge here but that's not even the point I'm getting at here.

Even if Nintendo is to blame for Geno not getting into Smash it really is just rather immature of us to get upset at Nintendo or Sakurai or felt led on. We have not been led on and any feelings towards that simply come from our own tunnel vision and lack of greater perspective (which is admittedly understandable because trying to understand Nintendo or Sakurai's thought process and vision is a fool's errand). All these nods to SMRPG are a good sign but they don't = Geno getting into Ultimate and that shouldn't upset us because what we are getting is nothing short of astounding. Disappointment is inevitable but getting upset can be prevented with a perspective shift. Don't be one of the entitled fans. Fighting for something for so long without reprieve is certainly upsetting, but simply fighting for something never means that that something will become a reality so let's all be adults about it and try to have some understanding if things don't work out.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
It seems unlikely he will announce number 5, the way the Hero and Banjo presentation has gone it's all an impromptu live presentation of the character and the Mii stuff. So either its going to be some kind of Nintendo Direct or reveal at the VGA? Those last two seem more plausible.

Then again, anything can happen.
Anything can happen within these next couple of months, but the most likely scenario I see is;
-November: Terry's presentation video which includes the 6.0.0 update and Mii costumes is the only thing I see in November.
-December: The next fighter possibly announced sometime during the Game Awards (Smash Ultimate might even appear as a nominee in a few awards)
-January: Maybe the next Direct and the fighter after that? Who knows.

At this point, we will have to see what happens.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well, he's not a generic Toad, for one. I think maybe I brought up the fact that Miyamoto might be someone to point fingers at earlier in this thread? Maybe I wanted to and thought better of it, but either way, I have brought up that Sakurai's speak of "collaboration" doesn't just mean third party, and he has to get the blessing of people we consider in-house at Nintendo to use their characters. There's gotta be some explanation for why we don't have any Paper Mario characters in Smash, yet, and Miyamoto's a great place to start
Maybe you did and I overlooked it, but as far as I've noticed the blame game is largely aimed at square, Nintendo, or sakurai so wanted to bring it up. The fact that we've gone over 20 years and not even a reference to any of the three in any Mario sports/party title had to mean somthing in my eyes
If Miyamoto ended up being the issue I would seriously wonder if his brain is broken or something. Even if he wanted to be hyper anal about what IS or ISN'T Mario cannon (because the world totally depends on it/s) what could he possibly have against Geno? I mean, I would personally say that SMRPG was one of the highest points in Mario lore and probably featured some of the juiciest substance to the Mario universe we've seen in a long time (bar the other Mario RPGs that followed). I would really hate to think that the selfish delusions of one man are what's holding back what could otherwise be a super hype, and potentially super lucrative, throwback to such a great game and franchise.
I mean that seems to be the exact reason they always get the shaft. Miyamoto has been pretty open about story in games and especially in his magnum opus. I liken him a lot to George Lucas, legendary creator but like anyone when surrounded only with yes men everything falls apart as paper Mario, f zero, and star fox have shown. The best stuff happened when someone is willing to stand up to him and challenge what works and what dosen't, I may not be the biggest Zelda buff but I have to respect aonuma for fighting the man tooth and nail to try and make something grander. I remember hearing a story where they would go behind each others backs and secretly delete and rewrite stuff when the other wasn't around. Anyone know if that was true and if so what game was it during?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I fail to understand how people think it's impossible for Fighter #5 to be revealed with Terry's breakdown or in a similar manner to that last Nintendo Direct in which they said 'B&K are out today, stay tuned for Sakurai's video on their gameplay, but in the meantime...TERRY~! Oh and, MORE CHARACTERS!'

People who say that Fighter #5 isn't likely to be revealed in Nov are the same kind of people who said Fighter #4 wouldn't happen to be revealed until Nov/Dec...and look-ee at what happened there?

Also, that Terry they showed off at a recording that was done months ago? That is a very-much done Terry. Full model, idle animations some attacks and a stage that looks like it's in the 75% completion region. Remember, the footage we saw was recorded at the same time Hero's was recorded...that was a long time ago at this point, much earlier this year. To me, this means that my theory about characters being done before we know about the next character rings true. I guarantee you right now that Terry is finished and they are polishing up Fighter #5.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I fail to understand how people think it's impossible for Fighter #5 to be revealed with Terry's breakdown or in a similar manner to that last Nintendo Direct in which they said 'B&K are out today, stay tuned for Sakurai's video on their gameplay, but in the meantime...TERRY~! Oh and, MORE CHARACTERS!'

People who say that Fighter #5 isn't likely to be revealed in Nov are the same kind of people who said Fighter #4 wouldn't happen to be revealed until Nov/Dec...and look-ee at what happened there?

Also, that Terry they showed off at a recording that was done months ago? That is a very-much done Terry. Full model, idle animations some attacks and a stage that looks like it's in the 75% completion region. Remember, the footage we saw was recorded at the same time Hero's was recorded...that was a long time ago at this point, much earlier this year. To me, this means that my theory about characters being done before we know about the next character rings true. I guarantee you right now that Terry is finished and they are polishing up Fighter #5.
Yeah, I have no doubt that we'll get Fighter 5's reveal with Terry's breakdown, and likely Terry will release that day, too. It would almost seem lackluster if they didn't, considering they've now made a habit out of doing things in that manner. It definetely helps the excitement. And any guidelines Sakurai can throw us about the future DLC would be great help to speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom