• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Really, who knows? Aside from Pokemon (which has leaked so many times now that nobody cares anymore), there's been nothing significant that has made the rounds since late August. Either there's nothing to talk about or Nintendo has successfully managed to keep a ton of info in its pouch like some grotesque kangaroo. I'm going to say that if nothing's said by Halloween then I wouldn't hold my breath for a November Direct of any kind.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I fail to understand how people think it's impossible for Fighter #5 to be revealed with Terry's breakdown or in a similar manner to that last Nintendo Direct in which they said 'B&K are out today, stay tuned for Sakurai's video on their gameplay, but in the meantime...TERRY~! Oh and, MORE CHARACTERS!'

People who say that Fighter #5 isn't likely to be revealed in Nov are the same kind of people who said Fighter #4 wouldn't happen to be revealed until Nov/Dec...and look-ee at what happened there?

Also, that Terry they showed off at a recording that was done months ago? That is a very-much done Terry. Full model, idle animations some attacks and a stage that looks like it's in the 75% completion region. Remember, the footage we saw was recorded at the same time Hero's was recorded...that was a long time ago at this point, much earlier this year. To me, this means that my theory about characters being done before we know about the next character rings true. I guarantee you right now that Terry is finished and they are polishing up Fighter #5.
Im honestly still banking on a November dorect with one or two reveals. With Sabi seemingly knowning for certain that #5 is not Crash or Ryu I think we’re gonna get something very soon.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
About that 'nobody asked for' portion there?

*Everyone in Latin America and in the FGC hated that*
When I say nobody asked for a character, that means they wouldn't even crack a top 50 list in a popularity poll for characters not in the game. Of course there are actual fans for every character in existence. But in the context of demand for a character to join smash, Terry had little to none.

Firox

Smash Master
I mean that seems to be the exact reason they always get the shaft. Miyamoto has been pretty open about story in games and especially in his magnum opus. I liken him a lot to George Lucas, legendary creator but like anyone when surrounded only with yes men everything falls apart as paper Mario, f zero, and star fox have shown. The best stuff happened when someone is willing to stand up to him and challenge what works and what dosen't, I may not be the biggest Zelda buff but I have to respect aonuma for fighting the man tooth and nail to try and make something grander. I remember hearing a story where they would go behind each others backs and secretly delete and rewrite stuff when the other wasn't around. Anyone know if that was true and if so what game was it during?
As a content creator myself, I gotta say, it really is critical that you have at least one person to bounce your ideas off of. Like you said, even guys like George Lucas or Miyamoto can fall apart sometimes when there's no one to say, "Yeah, no, that ain't gonna work quite like that." No matter how "inspired" someone might seem, there really is credence to the saying "Two heads are better than one", and by extension, multiple heads are even better than that. People think differently and can often see angles that others don't, allowing a creator to fill plot holes or innovate in new and exciting ways. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how flexible or open-minded an elderly executive would be in Japanese culture. Some bosses make going against the grain a pretty intimidating experience.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
When I say nobody asked for a character, that means they wouldn't even crack a top 50 list in a popularity poll for characters not in the game. Of course there are actual fans for every character in existence. But in the context of demand for a character to join smash, Terry had little to none.
This isn't really accurate though. Terry is huge in Latin America and Japan, and while he wasn't always the most supported, there's been outcry for an SNK rep from damn near every region. That may be Western bias talking. And if you take fan demand out of the equation, Terry is still an iconic fighting game poster boy with a fat legacy and fatter biceps.

Wish7s

Smash Cadet
I'm curious, is anyone here in the northeast? I live in NJ, maybe we can share friend codes so we can play smash together. Send me a DM and let's connect! I asked about the northeast because of internet connections, I don't mean to be bias lol
I'm from NJ too, we have quite a big tournament scene here, you should consider checking it out. It's a lot of fun :)

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So maybe I'm the only one, but does anyone else think Yaridovich looks like General Grievous from Star Wars?
GeneralYaridovich.png

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry got a presentation early November, Fighter #5 hinted at with maybe a silhouette with the full debut of the fighter at the Game Awards and the announcement of the first post pass fighter alongside them.

For example: Terry gets his presentation, Geno is hinted at near the end of the video. Game Awards show off Geno entirely and then point towards Rayman.

I can wish, right?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This isn't really accurate though. Terry is huge in Latin America and Japan, and while he wasn't always the most supported, there's been outcry for an SNK rep from damn near every region. That may be Western bias talking. And if you take fan demand out of the equation, Terry is still an iconic fighting game poster boy with a fat legacy and fatter biceps.
In my almost 15 years of looking at smash bros fan polls, I have never once seen Terry Bogard even listed. I have very rarely even seen "SNK rep" listed. I can name dozens of characters more demanded than him. To argue that he has any type of history of prominent demand within the Smash community as a whole is just wild to me.

We must just have different definitions of what constitutes a popular pick and what doesn't, so I'm going to agree to disagree here. Citing "a handful of people globally support him" just isn't enough for me to call him a popular pick. Of course he's a popular video game character in general. Every character in Smash Bros is popular. But with respect to the many, many characters that have been asked for at a way higher volume than Terry, his support doesn't really compare.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I actually had a Mario rpg related dream last night, it was kinda crazy since it was basically about a new rpg, that had several characters you could have on your team, and Mario DID NOT have to be on it. And there were more than just one star warrior like geno, so you had 2 more that possessed completely different dolls that had completely different abilities and stats (one set up as a tank, one a healer, and then Geno the high Dps). Luigi, peach, yoshi, toad, bowser, mario, and mallow were all playable.

...I think I need a break from gaming for awhile if I’m starting to have dreams about the games....

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Nah man, this isn't Western bias it's being accurate. No one was requesting Terry in significant amounts. Like not top 20 or even 30. Like, ever. Fatal Fury/KOF is a great series with a lot of fans, but it's complete fantasy to say that Terry was demanded for Smash at a significant amount at all. He never ranked in a significant way in any polls even ones where people from Latin America most certainly voted. Just because a character has fans and said fans are excited for said character to get into Smash now that he's been announced doesn't mean they were out there campaigning to get him into the game to a noticeable degree. To say otherwise in Terry's case is rewriting history.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So maybe I'm the only one, but does anyone else think Yaridovich looks like General Grievous from Star Wars?
Both are military leaders of villainous factions and they both wield weapons, so they look sort of similar. Now that I think about it, a Super Mario RPG boss with beam swords (especially from the Smithy Gang since they're all anthropomorphic weapons) would've been really cool.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Forums/fanpolls on video game sites (even on social media) don't account for the entire fanbase. If anything places like these are extremely small echo chambers.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Just read through a bunch pages from the past DAY. Gosh this thread moves so fast, I love it!
I'd have to disagree a bit. Sure it's fun for a while, but it can get really tiring going from topic to topic with seemingly little time to breathe. Thankfully I think we're at the point where discussion is going to be slowing down a bit.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Forums/fanpolls on video game sites (even on social media) don't account for the entire fanbase. If anything places like these are extremely small echo chambers.
That doesn't really hold up to what I was even saying. If a character really had a significant demand to be added to Smash, they would at least register somewhere on polls/websites. That is the demographic that is actively campaigning to get characters into Smash. The fact that Terry barely even registered as a blip on these radars from 2006-August 2019 tells me he wasn't as highly demanded as a lot of other characters. When I talk about popularity regarding DLC character additions I'm specifically talking about the volume of fan requests to be added to Smash Bros.

If Terry had a significant Smash Bros fanbase, they did a very poor job of putting themselves out there. I'm going to stop replying after this though because something I've learned is that people will defend that any character.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If someone is making the claim that a specific character has a significant push of people requesting for said character to get into Smash then burden of proof is on them. If there's no actual evidence supporting that then it's pure conjecture and not backed by actual evidence. You can brush off polls with tens of thousands of votes if you want but a proportionally small sample size is better than none. It may not account for 100% of the entire fanbase but it's a better predictor than just making baseless claims with no evidence to back it up other than "X character is popular in general so therefore a significant amount of people wanted them in Smash".

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
That doesn't really hold up to what I was even saying. If a character really had a significant demand to be added to Smash, they would at least register somewhere on polls/websites. That is the demographic that is actively campaigning to get characters into Smash. The fact that Terry barely even registered as a blip on these radars from 2006-August 2019 tells me he wasn't as highly demanded as a lot of other characters. When I talk about popularity regarding DLC character additions I'm specifically talking about the volume of fan requests to be added to Smash Bros.

If Terry had a significant Smash Bros fanbase, they did a very poor job of putting themselves out there. I'm going to stop replying after this though because something I've learned is that people will defend that any character.
The important takeaway that some people don't understand is:

A) A silent opinion, no matter how large, is worthless.

B) Nintendo has been using this current fighters pass as a means of reaching communities that Smash has yet to tap into (with the arguable exception of B-K). Unfortunately for the hardcore Smash fanbase, that means that characters like Terry were likely aimed at anything BUT those that cared about the ballot, etc. THAT is the contention here. Many of those that have been invested in the game see this as a sort of slap to the face. As in, why ask for the opinion of your fans if you are literally going to throw the results over your shoulder and just do your own thing anyway? If you can't understand why some people would feel like that, then simply revel in your ignorance and be on your way. (NOTE: I'm not saying that fans are entitled to every pick, etc. I'm simply pointing out logic behind people's comments.)

C) As "disconnected" as some may believe the "Smash bubble" to be, it is directly responsible for the additions of Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie to name just a few. You're welcome. Also, it happens to be your greatest hope for ever getting Geno into Smash Bros, so again, you're welcome.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
At some point, 60,000+ forum posts, just under 9,000 community campaign supporters, 1000 Twitter followers and hundreds of fan art and related posts a day just doesn't seem like a small disconnected Smash Bubble anymore.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
In my almost 15 years of looking at smash bros fan polls, I have never once seen Terry Bogard even listed. I have very rarely even seen "SNK rep" listed. I can name dozens of characters more demanded than him. To argue that he has any type of history of prominent demand within the Smash community as a whole is just wild to me.

We must just have different definitions of what constitutes a popular pick and what doesn't, so I'm going to agree to disagree here. Citing "a handful of people globally support him" just isn't enough for me to call him a popular pick. Of course he's a popular video game character in general. Every character in Smash Bros is popular. But with respect to the many, many characters that have been asked for at a way higher volume than Terry, his support doesn't really compare.

Ahh, maybe I'm starting to see what that 'Smash Bubble' that EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman was talking about.

See, it doesn't matter if a character is #1 most requested or #1,377 most requested, as long as the demand is there the possibility is there.

Just because a fan base isn't vocal in every poll on every social media site doesn't mean they don't want their character and that their wishes aren't being heard.

Terry is like Joker, but far more iconic: Joker was requested for Smash but Joker fans thought it was ridiculous so they never said anything past a certain point and since people convinced them of so, they went silent. Suddenly, the protagonist of the most popular JRPG in recent years makes it to Smash. Terry is the face of a fighting game franchise that rivals Street Fighter in terms of existence and appeal. There was a time where Terry was just as iconic as Ryu, if not MORE so (hell, they had not one but TWO crossovers!), but then business things happened and the games stopped for a while. However, the love for the characters and the games didn't die out fully, and now they are back and seeing lots of success...enough to bring back another old title to the modern age and support it for an extended period while also getting a guest character in another big fighting game.

Terry is big...but not to the average Smash fan. That's not Terry or SNK's fault though: a bunch of SNK games dropped on the Switch and they sold extremely well. If you are a Smash fan, and you DON'T know about Terry, you are either young or...I'm sorry to say, but you may have limited horizons on video games. There is a reason why the Smash community and the FGC are still so far apart even now, and one of the reasons is that Smash fans live in this 'Smash Bubble' where if it isn't on their radar and what they think should happen or is likely, they don't know about it. There are SO many Smash pros that do not play any other game competitively and sometimes they don't play other games.

Just because YOU don't know Terry or didn't ask for him, and just because a good chunk of the Smash fan base didn't ask for him doesn't mean those who love Smash as casual romp once and again but are big into other games didn't want him. That is the alley Joker and Terry waltz in from. Hell, in some ways, that where Hero waltz in from. The only character thus far in the FP that was heavily demanded by SPECIFICALLY the Smash fan base was B&K.

So first off, it's not all about you or your group. Other people like Smash, even if it's not the most important thing to them, and that have character wishes too. Just because they don't voice their opinions about their character until there are well over 1000 pages on a website with many of them filled with nothing related to the character because everything that can be said about them has been said...doesn't mean they don't exist.

If I have to, and believe me I already WANT to, I will post here the giant Twitter chain that pointed out how relevant Terry Bogard is to gaming as well as reaction videos to his inclusion where people got hype as **** AND I will bring in Maximillian's Legacy series with which he is currently playing through all the big name games that Terry was in. There is someone in the comments in those videos going crazy deep into the lore of the games and sharing them with his audience and I may even quote those and share them as well.

It may not be a big deal to you, but there is a whole portion of a continent that lost their collective **** as well as a Western fan base who loves ALL fighting games and not just one. Frankly speaking, you all are the ones missing out. I would encourage you to play some KoF, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting just like I would encourage people who don't understand my love for Geno to play SMRPG. Put someone else's controller in your hands, see what it's like.

I suppose I should say this has been my Ted Talk right about here, but I don't get the meme so idk.

EDIT: As a last-second edition, keep in mind that Smash is also about iconic picks. Not everyone wanted Snake or Sonic and Megaman was equally matched on those who wanted him and those who thought he was dead and should be forgotten.

Terry is iconic. He is easily the second face of fighting games. Anyone who played multiple fighting games growing up knows about him even if they didn't play his games all that much. Where it not for the business issues, SNK would still be rivaling Capcom and SF and frankly they are again considering how stale SF has gotten.

Terry is an icon. That means he's a piece of gaming history. That alone makes him worthy of a Smash pick. Remember that fan demand isn't the only factor.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Ahh, maybe I'm starting to see what that 'Smash Bubble' that EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman was talking about.

See, it doesn't matter if a character is #1 most requested or #1,377 most requested, as long as the demand is there the possibility is there.

Just because a fan base isn't vocal in every poll on every social media site doesn't mean they don't want their character and that their wishes aren't being heard.

Terry is like Joker, but far more iconic: Joker was requested for Smash but Joker fans thought it was ridiculous so they never said anything past a certain point and since people convinced them of so, they went silent. Suddenly, the protagonist of the most popular JRPG in recent years makes it to Smash. Terry is the face of a fighting game franchise that rivals Street Fighter in terms of existence and appeal. There was a time where Terry was just as iconic as Ryu, if not MORE so (hell, they had not one but TWO crossovers!), but then business things happened and the games stopped for a while. However, the love for the characters and the games didn't die out fully, and now they are back and seeing lots of success...enough to bring back another old title to the modern age and support it for an extended period while also getting a guest character in another big fighting game.

Terry is big...but not to the average Smash fan. That's not Terry or SNK's fault though: a bunch of SNK games dropped on the Switch and they sold extremely well. If you are a Smash fan, and you DON'T know about Terry, you are either young or...I'm sorry to say, but you may have limited horizons on video games. There is a reason why the Smash community and the FGC are still so far apart even now, and one of the reasons is that Smash fans live in this 'Smash Bubble' where if it isn't on their radar and what they think should happen or is likely, they don't know about it. There are SO many Smash pros that do not play any other game competitively and sometimes they don't play other games.

Just because YOU don't know Terry or didn't ask for him, and just because a good chunk of the Smash fan base didn't ask for him doesn't mean those who love Smash as casual romp once and again but are big into other games didn't want him. That is the alley Joker and Terry waltz in from. Hell, in some ways, that where Hero waltz in from. The only character thus far in the FP that was heavily demanded by SPECIFICALLY the Smash fan base was B&K.

So first off, it's not all about you or your group. Other people like Smash, even if it's not the most important thing to them, and that have character wishes too. Just because they don't voice their opinions about their character until there are well over 1000 pages on a website with many of them filled with nothing related to the character because everything that can be said about them has been said...doesn't mean they don't exist.

If I have to, and believe me I already WANT to, I will post here the giant Twitter chain that pointed out how relevant Terry Bogard is to gaming as well as reaction videos to his inclusion where people got hype as **** AND I will bring in Maximillian's Legacy series with which he is currently playing through all the big name games that Terry was in. There is someone in the comments in those videos going crazy deep into the lore of the games and sharing them with his audience and I may even quote those and share them as well.

It may not be a big deal to you, but there is a whole portion of a continent that lost their collective **** as well as a Western fan base who loves ALL fighting games and not just one. Frankly speaking, you all are the ones missing out. I would encourage you to play some KoF, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting just like I would encourage people who don't understand my love for Geno to play SMRPG. Put someone else's controller in your hands, see what it's like.

I suppose I should say this has been my Ted Talk right about here, but I don't get the meme so idk.
Most of this isn't even worth responding to because you didn't address his Smash demand and instead focused on his popularity in general, which I never denied.

Also lol at you thinking that I didn't know who Terry was until August, or that I never played KoF. That was maybe the most condescending thing I've ever read on here.

Terry Bogard was never historically a popular character (unless you count fringe top 100 or something, which I do not) within the context of people asking for him in Smash Bros. That's not me being ignorant, that is fact. Go ahead and formulate a response about how people bought SNK games on Switch though. Has nothing to do with how many people asked for him to be in Smash Bros

ZelDan

Smash Master
The thing is, we ultimately don't know how much support Terry had when it comes specifically to getting into Smash Bros, or before getting leaked as FP #4. Maybe he had millions of people wanting to see him make it into Smash, maybe just hundreds, perhaps thousands, we have no real way of knowing. he might have been higher up the Smash desire list than anyone can possibly imagine, perhaps the admittedly flimsy "smash bubble" polls were on to something and maybe Terry was actually lower on the totem poll.

D

Deleted member

Terry had Sakurai's support when he got into Smash and that's literally all that matters.

Case dismissed.

bangs gavel

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Okay, see we're talking about Terry Bogard and the Smash Bros demand, and this whole thing reminds me of Cloud Strife inclusion. Yeah there are characters & series that are popular, but never once did you thought "yeah, that character is totally going to happen in Smash Bros." There are certain characters that you can be a fan of and just come to terms that they don't have a shot in Smash Bros. There were many people that joke about Cloud getting into Smash Bros and even if people really wanted it everyone agree that it's unrealistic, so why bother asking for something nearly impossible.

Just like Final Fantasy fans many KoF fans just didn't think that Terry would ever be considered or even think it was possible. If you asked them how they would feel about Terry in Smash their answers would be just like the Joker fans before his reveal, "oh that would be cool. That's never going to happen, but it would be cool."

Having a fanbase =/= having high demand in Smash Bros. Saying that Terry was really requested in Smash Bros is like saying Piranha Plant had high fan demand as well. There are going to be characters that just no one really asked for and because of their inclusion it's making more characters being requested. Like we live in a world where we're asking for Doomguy, 2B, and Master Chief. Take a list of speculated and requested third party characters and go back to Smash 4 era and see how they would react to that.

Also it is kind of getting annoying when most of the fan requested characters have been relegated to Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and Spirits while characters that people have been really quite about are getting in. I've been saying for a long time that Sakurai must've hated that Ballot if he's not willing to put in that many requested characters in Ultimate anymore.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Really, who knows? Aside from Pokemon (which has leaked so many times now that nobody cares anymore), there's been nothing significant that has made the rounds since late August. Either there's nothing to talk about or Nintendo has successfully managed to keep a ton of info in its pouch like some grotesque kangaroo. I'm going to say that if nothing's said by Halloween then I wouldn't hold my breath for a November Direct of any kind.
I honestly dont understand why halloween has to be the deadline for a direct announcement. They are announced a day before they happen lol, two days early in rare cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom