• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Guys, I have 54 users and 96 guests watching on my screen right now. That is ridiculous. I can not imagine what the people who just walked in on this are thinking right now.
Hi, I skipped 18 pages and now I'm wondering if I should go back and re-read them haha. What happened?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Why is everyone ignoring me when I bring info, instead being into a silly drama? :(
I came here to know if that DM is legit or not.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's disappointing but I don't think it's very surprising

The most tone deaf thing they did was not showing certain characters until the end

Or, if Spirits deconfirm, showing some characters for a split second
It’s not surprising at all.

But I think that explains how tone deaf they are about Isaac. Not expecting any reaction is basically the absolute worst possible thing we could have found our with regards to Isaac in particular.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Plus, if Polar were fake, the mods could expose him within minutes with an IP unless he's using multiple proxies. Also, yes, Polar's source is a real person. We have a first and last name and face. They do work close with Nintendo and there's nothing in either person's history that indicates that they're lying. Like I said when Polar first came here, his post history is clean and there's no red flags.
I also attest to this.

I have seen the source of Polar's info's face, name, and personal information.

I have no reason to believe them to be lying for benefit. I mean there's really nothing for them to gain from this other than a quick 15 minutes of fame sort of deal.

And if you want that from a Smash leak. Oi vey you got bigger issues.

cybersai

Smash Ace
For anything I’ve said in this thread, Crono getting in over Geno would be a legit swerve. Square BURIED that franchise, man.

Even Sephiroth feels like a stretch - why him of all characters to open the floodgates on unique secondaries from third parties? (Eggman or we riot)
That's because they won't be. If it's not Geno it's 100% likely being the DragonQuest III protagonist and everyone knows it.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
This news that they’re focusing on existing franchises for Ultimate is supremely ****ing disappointing to me.

I still stand by the priority should be getting every franchise in Smash.

And the Isaac news almost once again speaks to the tone deaf nature of Nintendo to be surprised at a reaction when he has had a non insignificant fan base pushing for him since Brawl and especially during 4...
Sorry, I'm kind of a spectator here (though I'm starting to want Geno more, you guys are rubbing off on me haha) but where's the source on Nintendo only focusing on existing franchises in Ultimate?

And for Isaac, I think he'll be the next K. Rool. Maybe even Shadow too, seems like they were both grossly underestimated in terms of popularity (moreso Isaac though).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I like key lime pie!
Another question for you all, how would you describe your perfect sunday?
I'll answer you! Key lime is good my friend.

The perfect Sunday for me personally is having no plans. Weirdly enough, having a day with no plans is great.

Though I will start that day outside on my porch having a Maker's Old Fashioned. Good start to a no plan day.

EDIT: 400 Pages! We will blast brawls speculation out of the water soon enough!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For anything I’ve said in this thread, Crono getting in over Geno would be a legit swerve. Square BURIED that franchise, man.

Even Sephiroth feels like a stretch - why him of all characters to open the floodgates on unique secondaries from third parties? (Eggman or we riot)
Agreed. Sephiroth before Eggman or even M. Bison seems wildly inappropriate, and that's just villains. I don't even like the character but Sonic without Tails but Ryu and Ken in game is weird.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
400 friggin' pages. Congratulations everyone! I didn't think we'd get this far before the month was even up, or even by the end of the year.

At this rate, we'll beat Brawl's thread before new years!

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
That's because they won't be. If it's not Geno it's 100% likely being the DragonQuest III protagonist and everyone knows it.
I personally don't think it's 100% like I said, but it has a chance. After all, anything could happen. In my opinion Dragon Quest has more going against it than the others

Btw congrats on reaching 400

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Damn, 400 already. The amount of posts this thread has gotten in the past week or so is insane.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

I know FF has sold better but I'll be really pissed if Final Fantasy gets a 2nd character before Sonic, at that point either Sakurai & co. don't care or SEGA/Sonic Team is making poor decisions as usual.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What I'd be pissed about is FF having only 2 music tracks in the base game and them suddenly revealing they have the rights to more songs behind a pay wall.

"Saved these for DLC for the money!"

paper roxy

Smash Ace
wouldn't sakurai focusing mainly on existing franchises rule out dragon quest and give geno (and i guess sephiroth?) a bigger chance

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I also attest to this.

I have seen the source of Polar's info's face, name, and personal information.

I have no reason to believe them to be lying for benefit. I mean there's really nothing for them to gain from this other than a quick 15 minutes of fame sort of deal.

And if you want that from a Smash leak. Oi vey you got bigger issues.
Those bigger issues will soon include loss of a job and an impending lawsuit.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Maybe not the best thread for this but the news on Isaac having never been considered really irks me. The character (or the series) not being popular enough is entirely on Nintendo. It's the same story for Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and Golden Sun. A single 7/10 instalment in an otherwise fantastic series is enough for Nintendo to pretty much give up on them entirely.

Nintendo isn't the only party at fault here, though. Sakurai has to know that he has a huge amount of power when it comes to reviving a franchise to put in Smash. "Too many Fire Emblem characters" would not be something we'd even fathom if it weren't for Sakurai deciding on putting Marth and Roy in Melee. He brought the series back from the brink and introduced it to the West, and enough interest was generated that it's become one of Nintendo's flagship series. Kid Icarus as well was as dead as dead could be before Sakurai decided he liked Pit enough to completely reboot the series, and then added two new characters from it in the next Smash Bros. game.

It's frustrating because it could be popular if he wanted it to be. He could have made Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, and Advanced Wars household names and created demand for sequels. That's a lot of power for someone to have.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sorry, I'm kind of a spectator here (though I'm starting to want Geno more, you guys are rubbing off on me haha) but where's the source on Nintendo only focusing on existing franchises in Ultimate?

And for Isaac, I think he'll be the next K. Rool. Maybe even Shadow too, seems like they were both grossly underestimated in terms of popularity (moreso Isaac though).
Polar’s post a couple pages back is the source I’m referring to.

Shadow wasn’t super popular in the same way. He just should have been the easiest ****ing win ever and then somehow didn’t make Echo status despite being another dark version that worked perfectly. It baffles me that we didn’t get him (Unless we get someone for DLC or Sega was up in arms about him being unique). His popularity only exploded with Echoes as a concept.

Isaac had basically nothing against him other than the whims of Nintendo and a big fan base for him. The fact that they might have missed him completely is super frustrating.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Polar dropped this earlier. His source shared that Nintendo didn't even consider Isaac for playable because Golden Sun was a dead franchise, further emphasizing that legacy franchises like Duck Hunt were the exception. Apparently Nintendo thought fans would be happy with Isaac coming back as an AT only to read the internet response and find that they had totally **** the bed on that one.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Fair enough, I will retract my comment
hey man its cool that you came to visit. but kno this all your claims are opinions until proven otherwise because no one truly knows who is coming at the end of the day. if squre is throwing out names to leakbait i wouldnt count on DQ being it if thats the one you hear frequently

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I know FF has sold better but I'll be really pissed if Final Fantasy gets a 2nd character before Sonic, at that point either Sakurai & co. don't care or SEGA/Sonic Team is making poor decisions as usual.
Not poor decisions. FFVII is a way better game than any Sonic game.
Its impact is present in every region (the best known and beloved JRPG in every region, except Japan bc DQ).
Sephiroth is also THE villain that appears alongside Bowser and Ganon as the Top 3 in Best Gaming Villains lists out there.
I think they did a great job.
Also, more music, spirits and stage that was lacking for FF representation!

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

See you got bitten by the Geno bug lol.

I could see Isaac getting that way, especially with how motivated the fans are now.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I personally don't put too much stock into Sephiroth's chances for a potential Square Enix DLC rep. I always got the impression that Cloud was intended to represent Final Fantasy as a whole and having Sephiroth would feel excessive, especially considering how touchy Square Enix is about their IPs.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not the best thread for this but the news on Isaac having never been considered really irks me. The character (or the series) not being popular enough is entirely on Nintendo. It's the same story for Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and Golden Sun. A single 7/10 instalment in an otherwise fantastic series is enough for Nintendo to pretty much give up on them entirely.

Nintendo isn't the only party at fault here, though. Sakurai has to know that he has a huge amount of power when it comes to reviving a franchise to put in Smash. "Too many Fire Emblem characters" would not be something we'd even fathom if it weren't for Sakurai deciding on putting Marth and Roy in Melee. He brought the series back from the brink and introduced it to the West, and enough interest was generated that it's become one of Nintendo's flagship series. Kid Icarus as well was as dead as dead could be before Sakurai decided he liked Pit enough to completely reboot the series, and then added two new characters from it in the next Smash Bros. game.

It's frustrating because it could be popular if he wanted it to be. He could have made Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, and Advanced Wars household names and created demand for sequels. That's a lot of power for someone to have.
Yup. F-Zero is another example of them giving up after one bad title. There's so many good Nintendo franchises that get ignored sometimes

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Polar’s post a couple pages back is the source I’m referring to.

Shadow wasn’t super popular in the same way. He just should have been the easiest ****ing win ever and then somehow didn’t make Echo status despite being another dark version that worked perfectly. It baffles me that we didn’t get him (Unless we get someone for DLC or Sega was up in arms about him being unique). His popularity only exploded with Echoes as a concept.

Isaac had basically nothing against him other than the whims of Nintendo and a big fan base for him. The fact that they might have missed him completely is super frustrating.
Ah I see.

Yeah sorry, Shadow's my #1 and I'm still baffled as to how he missed what should have been the most logical way for him to join the fray.

Sakurai's comment about "characters that everybody knows" still feels like something of a jab at Isaac fans which I honestly felt was a little mean.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not poor decisions. FFVII is a way better game than any Sonic game.
Its impact is present in every region (the best known and beloved JRPG in every region, except Japan bc DQ).
Sephiroth is also THE villain that appears alongside Bowser and Ganon as the Top 3 in Best Gaming Villains lists out there.
I think they did a great job.
Also, more music, spirits and stage that was lacking for FF representation!
I wouldn’t compare FF7 or Sonic. There vastly different games of course, and Sonic can absolutely be great too. Mania and 3 & Knuckles are great games I’d put against a lot of others.

Hell, I think Sonic 3 holds up better than FF7 in pure terms of how well each one has aged.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Trying to get in on page 400 but probably already missed my chance

Edit: I didn’t? Awesome, congratulations on this insane milestone!

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Polar dropped this earlier. His source shared that Nintendo didn't even consider Isaac for playable because Golden Sun was a dead franchise, further emphasizing that legacy franchises like Duck Hunt were the exception. Apparently Nintendo thought fans would be happy with Isaac coming back as an AT only to read the internet response and find that they had totally **** the bed on that one.
That...is very interesting. Seems to drive home how much people despise ATs nowadays for what they usually mean.

I guess I can only hope the same thing happened for Shadow as well, the two are in a similar boat now.

StormC

Smash Hero
FF7 is in my top ten favorite games but I can’t really say it’s objectively better than every Sonic game.

I’d die on the hill that Eggman is the most iconic video game villain not in Smash (really the most after Bowser), but this ain’t the Eggman thread. Sephiroth would just be...weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom