• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel bad for the Nintendo Employees; but not so bad for Nintendo. I'd even encourage to keep doing it; firmly but respectively. Sakurai said some PRETTY ignorant things about Golden Sun; stuff I'm not fully forgiving him for.
Wait, did he say anything specific? From what I saw of the picture earlier, it just said he wanted to focus on more current series.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m thankful for Polar panda giving us that information about Isaacs fate. While we are saddened that Nintendo didn’t even consider our golden boi to be in the roster, that backlash sure sent them the memo. We Golden Sun fans are rallying more than we ever have to get Golden Sun on the Nintendo Switch and new fans are rallying to our cause as well. It’s amazing!

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Okay, y'all got my attention: What the **** is going on here? Can someone inform me on what just happened now?

I'm aware of those three characters that are mentioned most at Square Enix.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Listen, I find it hilarious that Geno is called obscure still to this day.

Now take Geno, a character who has been popularized by Smash, albeit his presence in a game is a bit different from Roy. Regardless, the popularization is what counts. Geno is even more notable than half the Smash roster. Many people who even care about Smash know about Geno because of Smash popularity.
So where does this leave us? Everything to be honest.

****ing of course his name is on the list with Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Sephiroth. By Smash standards, he's the literal BIGGEST character on that list. And SE is telling people Geno "is an afterthought" or "a lower priority" in comparison to the others? Really? That **** right there smells like reverse baiting.
You tell people who you possibly know that leak your stuff a character is "low priority" because, well, he actually isn't lol. This is THE ****ing character Sakurai want's in Smash. We have a fresh 2016 interview saying this. We have a Mii Costume with a unique splash that nobody else has.
That's one thing that also got me. Square likes to throw people off with their leaks, and saying, "Don't take Geno seriously", is already biased and suspicious enough. Saying Sephiroth or Erdrick are big ones means they're most likely leak bait, otherwise they wouldn't be taking them seriously like they are with Geno; the Square source said Sephiroth, Slime, and Erdrick are big ones, but if they were "likely" ones, wouldn't they NOT be mentioned a lot? Geno was only mentioned ONCE, while Verge keeps hearing MULTIPLE talk about Slime, Sephiroth and Erdrick. Just saying, "Don't take Geno seriously", means they're trying to throw people off into thinking it's not him. And tell me, how does GENO end up on that list of Square characters that are popular in Square's company, while Geno, not popular at all in Square's company, ends up being talked about and thrown onto the list? I'm honestly surprised Geno was even mentioned at all by Square, considering that he's nothing to them compared to Sephiroth, Crono, Erdrick, Slime and the others.
Geno is LITERALLY Roy now, save for actually being in the game. Roy himself was popularized by Smash, only to actually be well known for this iteration of the game. His ACTUAL game never even made it to the west, where the series started with the game after his (a prequel to his game).
If this is the case, then that means GENO'S OUR BOY!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I have a terrible, strange hypothetical thet just popped into my head.

It’s Spring of 2020. The pass has just completed a couple months ago, without Geno as part of it. At the end of a Nintendo Direct, a Smash character trailer starts out of nowhere.

As it turns out, Nintendo has decided to take two of the most-requested Mario-series characters... and combine them. Enter Waluigeno, literally just Waluigi in Geno’s cloak and a small gun on his arm, with all of Geno’s expected moveset(including timed hits) but also Waluigi’s racket and stomp.

How would you take this news? Excitement that the moveset at least got in? Horrified at the amalgamation? Something in-between?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I’m thankful for Polar panda giving us that information about Isaacs fate. While we are saddened that Nintendo didn’t even consider our golden boi to be in the roster, that backlash sure sent them the memo. We Golden Sun fans are rallying more than we ever have to get Golden Sun on the Nintendo Switch and new fans are rallying to our cause as well. It’s amazing!
It's an absolute shame they didn't see the demand for isaac, but I'm proud of you all for sticking to your guns even in the face of all this. You've got my support full stop, I want to see the golden sun rise once again.

It’s Spring of 2020. The pass has just completed a couple months ago, without Geno as part of it. At the end of a Nintendo Direct, a Smash character trailer starts out of nowhere.

As it turns out, Nintendo has decided to take two of the most-requested Mario-series characters... and combine them. Enter Waluigeno, literally just Waluigi in Geno’s cloak and a small gun on his arm, with all of Geno’s expected moveset(including timed hits) but also Waluigi’s racket and stomp.

How would you take this news? Excitement that the moveset at least got in? Horrified at the amalgamation? Something in-between?
It would be.. bittersweet

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

"You were expecting Geno?

TOO BAD! WALUIGENO TIME!"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

My reaction?
(At 0:10)

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Oh man, I wasn't able to make it to the exact page because I was catching up with the thread, but whoohoo!! We made it to 400 pages!! That's astounding! :D

cybersai

Smash Ace
The thing with Geno is he's not up to Nintendo like Isaac, etc. If Square doesn't want to lend him to Sakurai for a character, it just won't happen. If Square says no, they want their own franchises instead, then there's nothing they can ever do.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The thing with Geno is he's not up to Nintendo like Isaac, etc. If Square doesn't want to lend him to Sakurai for a character, it just won't happen. If Square says no, they want their own franchises instead, then there's nothing they can ever do.
theyre obviously able to use geno if he's a spirit

cybersai

Smash Ace
theyre obviously able to use geno if he's a spirit
But for a playable character, if they want a rep, and want their franchises, that's what happens. Since obviously there's a difference between a jpeg image or mii outfit than them wanting to spend 5+ months of development time on a playable character

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

Burn it with fire...

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I mean, Nintendo can just... say no. They’re not being forced to include a Square character, and they have the upper hand since they make the game.

Though, recent events do certainly make it seem like Square would totally be fine with not being in Smash in the first place, so that’s something to consider as well.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I'd probably warm up to that, over time...

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
thanks for clearing that up on page 402 of the geno thread

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
Okay, y'all got my attention: What the **** is going on here? Can someone inform me on what just happened now?

I'm aware of those three characters that are mentioned most at Square Enix.
TL;DR some drama happened, Xenother made an appearance here and according to PolarPanda Isaac was never considered to be playable. Geno still has a chance btw.

D

Deleted member

I was gone for an hour and a half and we passed five pages. I can't believe I've been here for more than 100 pages

Edit: 63 USERS AND 136 GUESTS!!!!!!!???????? WHAT IS THIS!!!!????

Last edited by a moderator:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, the choices for the Square rep can be easily summed up like so:

Geno: What Smash fans want.
Dragon Quest: What Square wants, so they can attempt to push the series worldwide for like the fifth time.
Chrono: What Nintendo PR thinks we want. (“Classic Square RPG with art by Toriyama? So many people liked Cloud and also wanted Goku, that’ll work!”)
Sora: What mainstream audiences want.
Sephiroth: ...They only have the rights for another FF character for some reason?

This first character will essentially set the standard for the pass, and anything but Geno(when it comes to Square reps) is going to feel like a bit of a bad omen, personally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest: What Square wants, so they can attempt to push the series worldwide for like the fifth time.
Chrono: What Nintendo PR thinks we want. (“Classic Square RPG with art by Toriyama? So many people liked Cloud and also wanted Goku, that’ll work!”)
Sephiroth: ...They only have the rights for another FF character for some reason?

This first character will essentially set the standard for the pass, and anything but Geno(when it comes to Square reps) is going to feel like a bit of a bad omen, personally.
Umm...I don't know what you are talking about. It's not just you who thinks anything but Geno would suck as the starter

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice

I want Geno more than anyone else on that list but we shouldn't deny that many people would find Sephiroth hype as hell. FF7 is my favorite Final Fantasy and I can't deny it would be really awesome to have a Cloud v Sephiroth battle in smash to the One Winged Angel theme. It could be one reason it wasn't picked for Cloud's inclusion to smash with how insanely popular that theme is.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One Winged Angel is under lock and key by Nobou Umetsu, who's currently on an indefinite hiatus from the gaming industry because of an unknown illness. He pretty much personally owns all the music from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy XIV.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
One Winged Angel is under lock and key by Nobou Umetsu, who's currently on an indefinite hiatus from the gaming industry because of an unknown illness. He pretty much personally owns all the music from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy XIV.
It also wouldn’t shock me if either him or Square would put a massive premium on licensing that song compared to others, just due to popularity. It likely wouldn’t be much of an issue if they were aiming for Sephiroth as a character, but just as a extra track to include with Cloud, it might be out of “worth the cost” range.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since it's relevent

Someone on /v/ is claiming that

"Krono threw a pity-party after hearing Sora was impossible and went to find his own info. That's where he got Vergeben's leaked Square list and posted it. Krono tried to save his own ass by throwing PolarPanda under. Verge only shares sources with Hitagi and Krono deleted that infowith friends on BillyBo10k's discord server "

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/440893957

Edit: Also

"Verge was piggybacking off of Stealth and another dude privately under a fake name. He lost them and went running too hitagi like a piss baby. Don't believe me? Believe the people connected to him!"

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

This is why I literally cant see Sephiroth or Dragon quest being the characters.

Sephiroth: Requires yet another FF7 stage, which would be silly because Midgard is the games most iconic location, and somehow magically more music from FF7, from a composer not willing to share his music. We were lucky to get 2.

DQ: On an entirely different echelon of nope when it comes to DQ music. The composer is notorious for never letting anyone else use his music outside of DQ. Not to mention hes racist, xenophobic , and a lot of other things and Square is practically held hostage by him because he makes extremely good music. Not entirely sure Nintendo would even put his music in smash or credit him. And yes, at the prevention of a character.

This seriously only leaves Geno or Chrono. Chrono himself even has licencing issues to go through. Isnt it ironic that Geno is actually the easiest and most logical DLC choice by that account?

In my fantasy dream world, the SE character selection on the fighters pass is a special occasion. Chrono is picked as the actual character, and we get a stage and music. However, Geno is a bonus character brought over with a few music tracks (not that i wouldnt want Forest Maze or anything, i just would want Chrono Trigger represented properly, while Smash fans got Geno).

So im currently rooting for either, with the farfetched hope that both are picked.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I would accept Crono over Geno tbh. They BOTH need reviving; if we're gonna be honest. Anyone else wouldn't really fill in that gap for me.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Since it's relevent

Someone on /v/ is claiming that

"Krono threw a pity-party after hearing Sora was impossible and went to find his own info. That's where he got Vergeben's leaked Square list and posted it. Krono tried to save his own *** by throwing PolarPanda under. Verge only shares sources with Hitagi and Krono deleted that infowith friends on BillyBo10k's discord server "

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/440893957

Edit: Also

"Verge was piggybacking off of Stealth and another dude privately under a fake name. He lost them and went running too hitagi like a piss baby. Don't believe me? Believe the people connected to him!"
Well, yeah I saw that before and It also leaded me to this thread.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
No, he's actually Cloud's father
*Mallows face in the clouds* Son...
Cloud: Father!?
Mallow: You have forgotten who you are, and so you have forgotten me.
Cloud: No father!
Mallow: REMEMBERRRRRRRRR *echoey James Earl Jones voice*

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Well, I read it all.

To be honest? Kinda anticlimactic, lol. Guess you had to be there. Still, neat info. I'm truly sorry for all Isaac fans...I only just started to get excited about him a month or so ago, but I really did think he would be unique. At least Nintendo knows the score now.

As for the Geno leaks...I'm in the camp that thinks hearing him referred to as a no-go is more in his favor than not. If these are rumors, they'd have to trickle down from those in the know (re: the ones with actual access to the DLC roster plan,) and it doesn't make sense for them to mention his probability unless they were trying to mislead. There's a lot of bias from most of these insiders, to the point where it's hard to trust their info. Oddly though, I feel inclined to believe PolarPanda PolarPanda . Seems like a legit dude. Especially since he's actually talking, and not going "ooh, sorry...can't say why that info is true. Just believe me." That shows me you're not interested in being all mysterious and secretive.

Btw...I didn't read this far NOT to talk about pie. Cheesecake, please. And yes, that counts as pie. Fight me if you think otherwise.

Banana cream is also amazing.

Lastly, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ...that music pick is amazing. Also my favorite new mix, alongside Gangplank Galleon. I just wasn't expecting it to be that good, but damn, was it. Also, goosebumps at that BotW trailer remix. Thank the stars it'll actually exist in a game now.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also I am so glad I didn't link the other /v/ thread I had open on accident...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom