• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I for one am happier as a Nintendo fan under the tenure of Furukawa and Kimishima than I was under Iwata (at least since the beginning of the seventh gen). Iwata definitely cared about the company and seemed a genuine fan, but I was never thrilled with the direction he took the company.

He did right the course during his final years, of which we're still seeing the outcome, but just because the other two weren't as whimsical doesn't mean we shouldn't give at least the current one a chance. He's hardly been in long enough to demonstrate his style, or provide long-term effects.

Though during his tenure Nintendo loosened their clutch on the Youtube partner program and have made a concerted effort not to make their mobile ventures too "gatcha", which are two commendable strides. Plus, they seem less draconian about using their IPs, which is always nice. If anything, Nintendo seems to care more about the fans now than under Iwata, when they were largely concerned with cornering the casual market.
Thanks for putting this into context. I'd like to apologise for going harsh on them. My anger and depression got too out of hand and made me go haywire while typing that comment. I respect your opinion, but I believe Iwata really did some great things during his position of NoJ president; cutting his salary and help building the relationship with Square are my favorites. Furukawa doesn't impress me, but I will thank him for getting rid of the YouTube partner program, if that was his idea or his decision.

link2702

Smash Champion
we really need some sort of news...

I'm bored out of my mind atm. Give us something nintendo. We've got no rumors, the "leakers" have all died apparently(since after the game's release, I guess nintendo really has kept a tighter lid on everything.) we've discussed all the evidence back and forth till we're all blue in the face(or maybe that's just the colloidal silver...), seriously we need SOMETHING.....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks for putting this into context. I'd like to apologise for going harsh on them. My anger and depression got too out of hand and made me go haywire while typing that comment. I respect your opinion, but I believe Iwata really did some great things during his position of NoJ president; cutting his salary and help building the relationship with Square are my favorites. Furukawa doesn't impress me, but I will thank him for getting rid of the YouTube partner program, if that was his idea or his decision.
I guess it was the out of context "wanna see Nintendo stop doing consoles and just do mobile" comment.

In any case, both have their good and bad points. What I'm curious about is how will Doug Bowser compare to Reggie, guy's got big shoes to fill.

we really need some sort of news...

I'm bored out of my mind atm. Give us something nintendo. We've got no rumors, the "leakers" have all died apparently(since after the game's release, I guess nintendo really has kept a tighter lid on everything.) we've discussed all the evidence back and forth till we're all blue in the face(or maybe that's just the colloidal silver...), seriously we need SOMETHING.....
Meanwhile, Sony's got State of Play airing tomorrow. Sony does what Nintendon't! :4pacman:

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
By the way all this talk of CD-i games in a Geno thread, anyone ever see the CD-i art rendition of Super Mario RPG?
I can just imagine the ****ty voice acting and cheesy dialogue to go with these images.
By the way, there's actually a second one of these, and it's even better than the first one, in my opinion.
JOKES ON ALL Y'ALL I've been lurking since like August!
I meant to post a lot sooner as you can tell by my join date oops

But yeah I'm glad you guys love/hate the CD-i pics :D
Part 3 should be... Soon™. I maybe got distracted by a bigger dumber equally SMRPG related project,
that I'm now going to completely unsublty plug here, in which I'm drawing everyone as Geno

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Part 3 should be... Soon™. I maybe got distracted by a bigger dumber equally SMRPG related project,
that I'm now going to completely unsublty plug here, in which I'm drawing everyone as Geno
Oh my god, you made that?! I've been loving your project! I can't wait until you get to Rosalina as Geno, even if that's quite a ways off.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
Oh my god, you made that?! I've been loving your project! I can't wait until you get to Rosalina as Geno, even if that's quite a ways off.
Thank you so much!! :D
I'm very excited to work on her too even if I only have suuuuper vague ideas what I want to do for her atm
Definitely going to do my best to make her one of the more special ones tho!

MattX20

Smash Hero

That's a cool project there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No problem, I get it. :)

It speaks to the quality of his character, he was an admirable and selfless guy. But I had no personal relationship to him, ours was that of consumer, it was a business relationship, so that's how I qualify how he affected me. He had a vision for the company, and it had highs and lows, but both contrasted with what I wanted out of it. Furukawa's aligns more closely, so far at least, so I prefer his tenure. Though it's still so early to judge.

That said, Iwata was still key in the conception of where we are now, so it's hard to say where Furukawa will take us. Fwiw, if Iwata planted the seeds for better third-party relations (though to what extent... we may never know), the following two have very successfully cultivated them, at least compared to during most of Iwata's reign. I'm sure it wasn't easy following Yamauchi's "scorched earth" method of dealing with third-parties, but frankly, I don't think Nintendo did any favours for themselves until the Switch era.

In any case, it's ultimately akin to voting based on character versus voting based on policy. In my personal life, sure, I'd rather spend time with the friendly eccentric over the by-the-numbers stoic, but given how removed we are, I'd take a jerk who gets the job done over someone affable yet ineffectual.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You do have to admit, on the US side Reggie managed to be both affable AND effectual (even if he did have a little help sometimes, like that one line he said that kicked off his career). I haven't the faintest clue of how Doug is, so it's hard to tell if he'll be as skilled or not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You do have to admit, on the US side Reggie managed to be both affable AND effectual (even if he did have a little help sometimes, like that one line he said that kicked off his career). I haven't the faintest clue of how Doug is, so it's hard to tell if he'll be as skilled or not.
Reggie was affable for sure, but I think his effectualness fluctuated as Iwata's did. Much of NoA's autonomy was stripped early in Reggie's tenure, but they were still key in marketing, distribution, and western third-party relations... all of which were certainly questionable at points during the Reggie era.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Okay, real talk, who is the absolute best spokesperson in the company then? I give up.
As a spokesman, I think Reggie was probably the best. He's charismatic, friendly, positive, outgoing, self-aware, and fluent in PR. Iwata was no slouch either. The fact that the company had some struggles under both of them is sort of a different issue, because you could be a horrible spokesperson but still be wildly successful, like the majority of Yamauchi's run (gaming-wise, at least).

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Your art is great! I'm really looking forward to Geno Ness. :3

D

Deleted member

This is awesome art.

And yes I'm looking forward to Geno Ness, Geno Ike, and Geno Lucas :D

Firox

Smash Master
And nothing is stopping Sakurai from adding first party characters , and almost nothing is stopping Sakurai to adding 2nd party characters like Isaac or the pokemons. If he want the character in , he'll do it.
That's why Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant got in , because Sakurai felt like he could do something unique with them while representing another part of Nintendo's history. They didn't got in over Geno , they have almost no connection to him.
This is exactly my point though. If Sakurai thinks that WFT and Piranha Plant were more deserving to get in than Geno, that doesn't seem very reassuring of his chances. That's why I brought up the 39 characters argument. If Sakurai really wanted Geno in, or was even capable of getting him in, I imagine he would have by now. In a way, having corporate decide the 5 dlc characters could actually prove advantageous because they could possibly overrule choices that Sakurai may otherwise have rejected. The downside is that the execs are almost certainly going to base their picks off promotion of future games and franchises, as shown with Joker and the sudden advent of Persona 5 on switch (similar to Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta acting as advertisements for their upcoming releases/re-releases). In other words, if Geno gets in, then we are almost guaranteed to see a MRPG 2 on the horizon. Then again, what are the chances that Nintendo and Square enix would sanction a sequel to our favorite RPG? In short, Geno's chances are about the same. Here's to hopin', though. If Geno/MRPG 2 got announced, I would absolutely lose my ****e. I would instantly buy the mystery box of dlc fighters and never ask papa Sakurai for anything ever again.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This is exactly my point though. If Sakurai thinks that WFT and Piranha Plant were more deserving to get in than Geno, that doesn't seem very reassuring of his chances. That's why I brought up the 39 characters argument. If Sakurai really wanted Geno in, or was even capable of getting him in, I imagine he would have by now.
Eh, not necessarily. All it takes is a ridiculously insane price from Square Enix or them refusing to have Geno used as a playable character to have his chances demolished. WFT and Piranha Plant are first party and don't need that level of negotiation and costs sunken in to utilize them, not like a third party requires. Especially considering this is Square Enix we're talking about, Geno and any first party characters aren't anywhere near on the same level. He requires much more than WFT or PP did, and outweighing the pros and cons of such a character is a necessity in making that choice.

Firox

Smash Master
Eh, not necessarily. All it takes is a ridiculously insane price from Square Enix or them refusing to have Geno used as a playable character to have his chances demolished. WFT and Piranha Plant are first party and don't need that level of negotiation and costs sunken in to utilize them, not like a third party requires. Especially considering this is Square Enix we're talking about, Geno and any first party characters aren't anywhere near on the same level. He requires much more than WFT or PP did, and outweighing the pros and cons of such a character is a necessity in making that choice.
Very true. Now I'm really curious to know what the real story has been behind the scenes:

Sakurai: Sup, Enix. I wanted to know if we could put Geno in Smash. You know, that puppet guy that you never use? That one you probably forgot you even own? Yeah, that guy. We want to make him famous to the general public again so that we can greenlight MRPG 2. Imagine the truckloads of money we could make. What do ya say?

President of Enix: (strokes fluffy white cat in his swivel chair) Hmmmmm, let's see. I'd be willing to lend you the rights for say...(extends pinky to his lips) 100 BILLION DOLLARS!

Sakurai: Oh...uh...a little steep there. Lemme check with the bosses and--

Nintendo Execs: NO.

Sakurai: A pleasure doing business...

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
... I would instantly buy the mystery box of dlc fighters and never ask papa Sakurai for anything ever again.
I feel the same way! Honestly, everything else is just a bonus.

My top requested characters were
1. Little Mac
2. Simon Belmont
3. K. Rool

and now I'm just waiting for my boi Geno, I've waited for him since Melee!!

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
"I know what it’s like to lose.

To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless.

Dread it.
Run from it.

Destiny still arrives.

Or should I say...

I have."

genos.png

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Dread it.
Run from it.

Destiny still arrives.

Or should I say...

I have."
"After 23 years of being whipped, burnt with a branding iron, carried around like I'm nothing, treated as if I'm nothing, and being verbally abused, I have finally escaped Square's highly-secured dungeon. I need to head to Nintendo's-- no... first comes payback, then I head to Nintendo..."

"Must perfectly balance everything to get even with Square..."

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"After 23 years of being whipped, burnt with a branding iron, carried around like I'm nothing, treated as if I'm nothing, and being verbally abused, I have finally escaped Square's highly-secured dungeon. I need to head to Nintendo's-- no... first comes payback, then I head to Nintendo..."

Well this escalated quickly.

D

Deleted member

Dread it.
Run from it.

Destiny still arrives.

Or should I say...

I have."

View attachment 201077

Well this escalated quickly.
HOLY ****.

I will riot more now if Geno doesn't get a Marvel movie with himself as the protagonist.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If there's a Nintendo Direct in the next few weeks (personally I don't think there will be until E3), I don't think we should expect too much from it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If there's a Nintendo Direct in the next few weeks (personally I don't think there will be until E3), I don't think we should expect too much from it.
If we got a general Direct in the next couple of weeks, I'm positive it'd be ridiculously lackluster. Honestly, I doubt that's what we're getting. We'll likely end up getting a Smash Direct or some kind of mini-Direct focused on Smash and another game or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom