• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I remember when someone had a leak that said K Rool was an assist trophy.
Huh? Why did you respond with that to my post? I also don't remember that in the slightest and that was so early on that it was hard to take leakers seriously when there's so little evidence to check them against. The field for speculation has changed a great deal since then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think regardless off the current situation that Geno is inevitable. There's always some reason the next never ever character can't get in but they always do.

Ridley: "Too big and Sakurai already vetoed him."

K Rool: "Sure, Ridley got in, but K Rool is irrelevant and forgotten."

B&K: Well yeah, K Rool got in, but Banjo is irrelevant, forgotten, AND third party."

Geno: "Banjo may have gotten in, but Geno is irrelevant, forgotten, third party, AND not a main character."

Each time "it's different because of X" and each time Sakurai adds the character anyway and cites fan demand as the reason. Despite the "smash bubble" argument, the "promotion" argument, and the "he's not popular in Japan" argument, the never ever characters are getting in one after the other and Geno is the last one left.

His time will come sooner or later.
Which is hilarious, cause some of these are completely incorrect. B&K are absolutely relevant by their franchise being treated as active. The constant merchandise, the advertisement, and very consistent re-releases via Rare Replay. Never mind the opposite of forgotten(that doesn't mean he isn't a niche character. He's iconic, but on a lower scale. Not that that's a bad thing).

Geno was always a main character. Which makes that such a bad argument. He's part of the main story and always was. Peach is the only one that really isn't important to the overall plot, and gets kidnapped twice, but both of them do lead to some team-ups and such. It also was a fun way to reenact the class Super Mario plot. The second time was a fun way to show off Bowser and Mario being silly but also showed they cared about her. Mind you, it still suffers from the "object to be saved" issue in itself, but that's... unfortunately going to stay the same in Super Mario for a longggggg time. Though hey, at least Odyssey had her tell both off for acting ridiculous?

Rest, yeah, correct. Mind you, what is incorrect is it's not inherently about the character alone. The franchise matters too. King K. Rool came from an active franchise, so it was easier to get him in over other fan demanded characters. There's a fair chance he'd get used again at some point, due to being the series' main villain. That's something many characters don't have a chance of to any near degree. Not even Wolf had a good chance of that due to Star Fox being dead for a while, and then typically Star Fox Zero came out way too late for being a good way to bring back Wolf with promotional(meaning he's active again) excuse, though part of it would still be veteran. To be clear, SFZ's delay meant Wolf lost relevancy again, so he missed his chance. Geno's biggest thing is that the Mario series is always relevant, which is a pretty good reason for Sakurai to consider him a great choice as playable, though we don't know why he hasn't gotten in yet. Many possible reasons. I won't go into them, mind you. That's not worth rehashing. He acknowledges the character should be playable. That is nice.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How does it help Resident Evil and Doom in anyway? As a Ace Attorney fan anything that helps Resident Evil scares me.
I’m assuming he means sir Mii Costume theory is dead then that bodes well for Doom since it doesn’t mean the next two characters have to be from Namco and Capcom.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Huh? Why did you respond with that to my post? I also don't remember that in the slightest and that was so early on that it was hard to take leakers seriously when there's so little evidence to check them against. The field for speculation has changed a great deal since then.
I was just saying that I remember one. I apologise if I offended you in some manner. I'm sure it had something to do with the topic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm being super cautious. If the Lupin thing is true, it's good. If it's false, it's honestly better because it gives credence to a full on Direct probably next week. That's why I think the stakes will be the highest this fandom has experienced if the Lupin thing is false...

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'm being super cautious. If the Lupin thing is true, it's good. If it's false, it's honestly better because it gives credence to a full on Direct probably next week. That's why I think the stakes will be the highest this fandom has experienced if the Lupin thing is false...
Thats what I was thinking as well. As neat as the "Lupin Leak" is, it didn't really give us a concrete answer to Geno other than "I don't remember seeing the costume. But I saw the video twice". Where as, if it is a full blown (Smash) Direct...This would give opportunity to reveal something much bigger than intended for a Character rundown video with maybe a new mode or two.

EDIT: Then again, if we get it earlier, this bird pic can fly away.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the rumor might be legit. Rip Namco rep. But yay my Resident Evil/Doom prediction.
Man, I'll say. Two games in a row and it's still just Pac-Man. If this is true, Namco supporters really need to be serious about their characters, from now on. Not even a Tales character is a guarantee. Although given how Western Tales fans historically got screwed over in various ways, this isn't too surprising.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
How does it help Resident Evil and Doom in anyway? As a Ace Attorney fan anything that helps Resident Evil scares me.
I mean, just step closer to being possible if Namco isn't getting a character.

I think RE is a lot more likely than Phoenix Wright. It's the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash and is a "legacy franchise".

Same with Doom. Both are massively important to gaming.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Thats what I was thinking as well. As neat as the "Lupin Leak" is, it didn't really give us a concrete answer to Geno other than "I don't remember seeing the costume. But I saw the video twice". Where as, if it is a full blown (Smash) Direct...This would give opportunity to reveal something much bigger than intended for a Character rundown video with maybe a new mode or two.

The idea that geno is a bonus fighter and not part of the season pass is the only thing that's got my attention. If they said he was in the pass Im not gonna believe it in any way since everything has contradicted that. Im still on the boat of doubt, and until we get an actual credible leaker that comes out and confirms it, no 4chan leak will be able to change my mind.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

I think RE is a lot more likely than Phoenix Wright. It's the biggest Japanese franchise not yet in Smash and is a "legacy franchise".

I like how things are treated like a checklist. Like the biggest argument for Hero was “They are the biggest Japanese IP not yet in smash” :v

And let’s not downplay Ace Attorney’s popularity in Japan. It has several exclusive games. An entire exclusive spinoff. An anime, and big events like concerts.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I like how things are treated like a checklist. Like the biggest argument for Hero was “They are the biggest Japanese IP not yet in smash” :v
I mean, it's more than that, but you're still kind of right. At this point, I feel it's all about the best selling, most innovative, most influential, or most critically acclaimed franchises in gaming.

There will always be franchises that don't quite make sense like GTA or COD. Franchises that are generally too realistic. But other than that, I think that's where we're going.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

That's another reason why I don't totally believe it: how could you not remember? You can remember the super obscure Tower of Druaga knight but a character that's been a staple of the Smash fanbase for honestly 20 years is hard to remember, even after seeing the video twice? Either they're lying if it's all false or they're being cheeky if true. There's too many reasons why simply "forgetting" is fishy as all hell.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That's another reason why I don't totally believe it: how could you not remember? You can remember the super obscure Tower of Druaga knight but a character that's been a staple of the Smash fanbase for honestly 20 years is hard to remember, even after seeing the video twice? Either they're lying if it's all false or they're being cheeky if true. There's too many reasons why simply "forgetting" is fishy as all hell.
It came off as cheeky imo. Especially with the set up “you forgot the Geno Mii costume” and the response was “I didn’t forget I just didn’t see it”. But if you are leaking mostly everything and Geno was indeed announced as a bonus character, why leave out Geno all together? So if he is right. That means Geno is being saved for later for some special reason.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

That's not really a good argument. I mean, yeah, they did it with Dragon Quest, but considering that Phoenix Wright is the most wanted Capcom Character it shouldn't even matter if it's a big franchise or not.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
My thinking is they either realized they ****ed up by not naming Geno because his costume would be such an obvious inclusion or there’s something else going on and they didn’t want to spill the beans. Or option c where someone wanted to subtly give people hope and either purposely switched Geno out with someone else or just made the whole thing up and not putting in Geno was meant to stir the pot.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
We're right on the edge of one of the times for the leaks. Let's see if anything comes from it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So apparently the announcement for now was for a spirit challenge or whatever its called

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We really need some universal time or some ****. I'm tired of always having to convert stuff to my timezone lmao.

Who cares if it's sunny at 1:53 A.M.

T2by4

Smash Lord
What if... Ninteninjas are in this thread right now... Just lurking and seeing if there are any leaks and changing the video date to something different after catching wind here to avoid suspicion... If you're here ninteninjas, pls bring back our star boy <3

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
We really need some universal time or some ****. I'm tired of always having to convert stuff to my timezone lmao.
As someone that collaborates with Americans living in different timezones (while living in Sweden), I¨m 10000000% with on this idea

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
In light of the recent events, I guess my next art piece/s should involve the star boi. What circumstances should he be in?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

I think we're ignoring Dante from Devil May Cry is likely as well. The director said that a DMC title should be on the Switch before Dante gets into Smash Bros, and now we have the first Devil May Cry game on Switch. I feel like if we get another Capcom character it's going to be Dante so they can have him and Bayonetta fight each other. That and so they can get this sticker.
tumblr_inline_mtujtxu1jJ1rw38tc.jpg

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I think we're ignoring Dante from Devil May Cry is likely as well. The director said that a DMC title should be on the Switch before Dante gets into Smash Bros, and now we have the first Devil May Cry game on Switch. I feel like if we get another Capcom character it's going to be Dante so they can have him and Bayonetta fight each other. That and so they can get this sticker.View attachment 231587
Yeah but DMC didn't get on Switch until AFTER the characters were picked for the pass.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, I don't think Capcom is getting a 4th rep this time around since both it and Konami have 3 reps each. Personally, I think we're going to see companies like Level 5 or Koei Tecmo get approached

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Didn't even know there was another "leak" counting down lol.

For me at least (Central Time), I guess its high noon for Lupin...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guys, I still don't understand. What is this Lupin Leak? Is it a new leak talking about Geno? I'd like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom