• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
While we are still speculating over the bird pic, one random idea that ran across my head is that, while some people are focusing on the "starling" part, and while someone highlighted the "European" part earlier, what if BOTH parts of the bird's name are significant? What if the thing being hinted at is a "star" for "Europe?" What kind of characters could potentially fill that role?

It would actually be kind of fitting too. We got a star for the west with Banjo, and a star for Japan with Hero. I guess some would say Bayonetta might already fill that role, since IIRC she was the highest voted in that region, but that was from Smash 4. Maybe Ultimate would want to get it's own character for that region?

I dunno, just spitballing here.
From what I know Banjo is European or from the UK so I doubt that's the case since we just had one. I guess we could see another one but I doubt it.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well I was talking about fan demand more than anything. That said was Banjo as highly demanded in Europe as he was in the west? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he was if he was a UK creation.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well I was talking about fan demand more than anything. That said was Banjo as highly demanded in Europe as he was in the west? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he was if he was a UK creation.
Off the top of my head I can't think of a specific poll result that was specifically for Europe only. It's usually "the West" or English speaking sites as one set of polls and then Japan as another.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you have the source for that quote?
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

"Of course, we have to plan the next DLC character, and the next… and so on and so forth. I planned in advance and set aside some funds, though, so we’ve got a bit of a surplus compared to earlier on."

In terms of timing, I believe Sakurai said that characters were being completed 'ahead of schedule', but I cannot find the source to that one. Either I'm remembering incorrectly or it's buried somewhere.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ate-jokers-reveal-getting-some-rest-and-more/

"Of course, we have to plan the next DLC character, and the next… and so on and so forth. I planned in advance and set aside some funds, though, so we’ve got a bit of a surplus compared to earlier on."

In terms of timing, I believe Sakurai said that characters were being completed 'ahead of schedule', but I cannot find the source to that one. Either I'm remembering incorrectly or it's buried somewhere.
So, theoretically speaking, a bonus character isn't completely out of the question?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've never played SMRPG before but I've always wanted to. More importantly though, I

So, theoretically speaking, a bonus character isn't completely out of the question?
I wouldn't bank any money on it myself, but I wouldn't completely and entirely rule it out.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

A surplus is certainly good for us, as a surplus should always be used for something. It's just a question of what that something is.

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606

That quote still gives off the idea that they're cruising with development, and it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibility that they're ahead. Hopeful sounding stuff!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Let me say this much about the current situation. I think people are putting far too much faith in the bird-roof and the YouTube copyright claims and recognizing a convergence that doesn’t entirely seem to be there. Banjo Kazooie had a much better specific set of things that pushed them so I wouldn’t call the situation as comparable as I know some people would like. There isn’t new Geno merch, there isn’t a “Cuphead on Switch” type moment of hype for what the future holds, Mario RPGs just haven’t gotten any attention recently, and there are no leakers who have come out directly in support of Geno...

That said, while I disagree with the method of excitement and largely still have my distaste for a great deal of theory crafting as it stands, I am happy to see some excitement returned to the community and to see so many faces coming out of the woodwork due to these events. That’s always a good sign for any support group, and hopefully that means we will have more people to stand with us moving forward to see Geno in Smash even if this specific set of circumstances does not pan out.

And, much like Banjo Kazooie ever being in Smash, I’ve never hoped to be more wrong in my life about my assessment of things and this does turn into something real. I’m not counting on it, but I wish us all luck in the days to come.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
While we are still speculating over the bird pic, one random idea that ran across my head is that, while some people are focusing on the "starling" part, and while someone highlighted the "European" part earlier, what if BOTH parts of the bird's name are significant? What if the thing being hinted at is a "star" for "Europe?" What kind of characters could potentially fill that role?

It would actually be kind of fitting too. We got a star for the west with Banjo, and a star for Japan with Hero. I guess some would say Bayonetta might already fill that role, since IIRC she was the highest voted in that region, but that was from Smash 4. Maybe Ultimate would want to get it's own character for that region?

I dunno, just spitballing here.
A star for Europe would be Crash since he’s popular over there. But I doubt that’s what it means.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
my take on the bird pic is mixed. I think bird-house and star-ling and both perfectly reasonable inferences to make but the rex statement is a massive strike in my eyes against a 3H rep and it doesn't make much sense to me, that being said geno honestly isn't much better but I feel like with all the other coincidences since the hype cycle began it feels the most likely to me out of the possible smash reveals currently being considered. It's entirely possible its for a different game but as mentioned the leaker has no precedent for doing this for already known stuff according to fatman and the release window for the next several months is as packed as its been since I can remember and I just can't see a new game being announced especially just a month off e3. It might not be geno, hell it might not even be smash and we all got thrown for a loop but right now things look good and if the lupin leak pays off I think this might be the best geno's chances have been since before the base reveal.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Since we’re potentially getting news tonight I should get the memes in before the fallout.

Me watching the Hero gameplay trailer fade to black but realizing there’s a full minute left
Okay I don’t actually expect this but I still have hope okay

The thing that worries me is that if it drops tonight with no notice, that doesn’t really bode well for big announcements. If it was a direct, it’d have an announcement to hype it up and everything. I’m not saying that it’s impossible, but I’m going in with expectations being minimal. Although the bird picture does make me hopeful that whatever it is is most definitely related to Smash because of the proximity between the two.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
All of this is starting to get to me. The bird, the music, the potential of Geno showing up in the flesh, er, wood, as a bonus character. I'll be honest and say that I never believed the starling had any connection to Geno, nor did I think that my little music info would go past more than just "It's Nintendo copyrighting stuff like usual".

But just the possibility of us seeing him this month is a really throwing me through a loop. Sure, I've been looking at the chance that we may not see the Mii Costume, which could potentially boost his chances in the future. It never crossed my mind that Geno had a shot at being a real character that could be revealed this soon. The things speculation can do to you are wild.

For now, I'm staying neutral on it, but I'll admit that this is getting me very, very starry-eyed. :starman:

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This dude also says Hero info will be on the 17th and.. This info is really big if true. I mean REALLY big. I doubt it and I'm trying to get my hopes down but the timing of all of this is suspicious. It's probably fake but man I hope this is real.
That top part with the Hero releasing on the 17th make sense. Patches need to happen so there's a good chance that it's revealing tonight and release tomorrow. I don't believe that second part at all. That's extremely fishy, especially with how in this version of Smash Bros they're numbering all their characters in the release order and we know that The Hero is Fighter 72 and Banjo is Fighter 73. The only way a possible Geno Bonus Character can happen while releasing within the coming months is if Geno is an echo fighter of Mii Gunner so it doesn't throw off the numbering.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So... The STARS are STARing to align, eh? Like I said, the source's hints tend to come to fruition within a week to a week and a half. If we don't get something tomorrow, it's probably next week, lining up perfectly with past hints.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That top part with the Hero releasing on the 17th make sense. Patches need to happen so there's a good chance that it's revealing tonight and release tomorrow. I don't believe that second part at all. That's extremely fishy, especially with how in this version of Smash Bros they're numbering all their characters in the release order and we know that The Hero is Fighter 72 and Banjo is Fighter 73. The only way a possible Geno Bonus Character can happen while releasing within the coming months is if Geno is an echo fighter of Mii Gunner so it doesn't throw off the numbering.
The only way I would react to Geno being an echo fighter to the Mii Gunner.
tenor (3).gif

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they mean someone on the site came in and claimed Geno would be the third DLC character and Banjo would be the fourth which this person claimed to be false and in such case is obviously false.

Them not knowing the rest of the FP yet knowing of Geno is a little bit suspicious to be honest but that could easily be because it's a Square source. Still it's suspicious and I wouldn't say it has a good to even decent chance of being true.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Nothing says they can't change the release order. It's their game after all. Though the more logical choice would be to mark Geno as fighter 76 and leave him at the end and put the other two characters before him, so it's not impossible..

MattX20

Smash Hero
I can't even remember the last time the thread was this enthusiastic/cautiously optimistic about Geno's chances. God, this is almost euphoric even if for a brief while.

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606
I can't even remember the last time the thread was this enthusiastic/cautiously optimistic about Geno's chances. God, this is almost euphoric even if for a brief while.
Yeah its super fun! Even if its all for nothing, its been a ride!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There isn’t new Geno merch, there isn’t a “Cuphead on Switch” type moment of hype for what the future holds, Mario RPGs just haven’t gotten any attention recently, and there are no leakers who have come out directly in support of Geno...
Merch- Geno’s faces a very different set of circumstances in comparison to Banjo-Kazooie. There’s little to no SMRPG merch period since the game’s release over 20 years ago likely because the rights situation between SE/Nintendo is so tangled that it’s been easier to not sell anything at all. I don’t really see that as a negative point.

No “Cuphead on Switch”- Well if you just mean “company putting games on the switch” like with Microsoft we do have the FF games and Secret of Mana getting re-releases. The Xbox on Switch rumor didn’t pan out and people took that as a nail in the coffin for BK during E3 and look at what happened.

No MARIO RPG attention- We just had the SMRPG anniversary tweet by NoA a couple of years ago and SMRPG on the SNES Classic.

No leaker support- Tell that to Joker lmao. Even BK was seen as a long-shot up until a few weeks before his reveal because of the Grinch Leak fallout and Vergeben being insistent on Steve/“Minecraft content”. And then he quickly put in his support for BK less than 24 hours before their reveal after writing them off for so long.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I personally expect more than the fighters pass, at least a few more individual characters
I personally feel that Sakurai would at least consider giving the Kirby fandom one new rep that doesn't represent one of the four Kirby games that actually has decent representation. I don't count spirits; those pngs are not worthy of giving a series representation like trophies did. At least trophies came with descriptions on their characters and items. It'd be different if spirits did the same.

Can't believe it took a fan website to do that..

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Just wait for now. If Hero releases tmrw, the video tonight will confirm or deny that original 4chan leak. Im hoping on Geno's costume not coming back regardless

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606
Just wait for now. If Hero releases tmrw, the video tonight will confirm or deny that original 4chan leak. Im hoping on Geno's costume not coming back regardless
Ain't it ironic how we're hoping for an explicit lack of Geno? ;)

Save for a full on reveal, of course.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
What if his potential reveal trailer has Mario and co chase after a spirit they defeated and the spirit flies into the woods and they chase it and, in a scene reminescient to SMRPG, the spirit enters a doll and Geno is revealed? I mean, they did use World of Light for Hero's trailer, so it's not impossible.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Hehe... here I take a 2-hour nap and the board explodes. But yes, this feels just like the Banjo pre-E3 "crossing fingers"

I personally expect more than the fighters pass, at least a few more individual characters
Same here

Nothing says they can't change the release order. It's their game after all. Though the more logical choice would be to mark Geno as fighter 76 and leave him at the end and put the other two characters before him, so it's not impossible..
I seriously doubt that they would switch release date with Banjo and Geno. It would make no sense. Especially after they created such a hype surrounding the duo. At best it ends up being the cause that Geno is part of the fighters pass and he will be released over in Winter (what a great Christmas present that would be) and at worse, he would be fighter 76, be it as a bonus character or first in fighters pass 2 (if we get another pass that is)

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I'm loving the attention this thread is getting.

I'm sprinkling a little bit of personal optimism into these leaks, because if people are willing to make leaks regarding our star lad it shows that he definitely has his fans. I eagerly await the day we cheer in delight. :mario64:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well that would be really weird. They've been really good on keeping track who came out in what order so for them to change it now by making Geno take Banjo spot and move Banjo to the next slot despite the fact that Banjo was revealed first would be really weird. I can't possible see a way for Geno to get in before Banjo without him being an echo fighter. It's possible that they could have Geno revealed and release him around the same time as Banjo or afterward, but looking at the set up and the structure of Smash Bros Ultimate leads me to believe that if a bonus fighter is happening then it's happening after Geno or the Fifth DLC Fighter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know that. But the Lupinleak didn't say the characters themselves were being released tomorrow. The way it's worded implies it's the video that talks about the DQ Heroes and the updates in detail

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Wait....

Banjo & Kazooie don't show up on the website yet, besides on the fighter DLC list.
They look to be pretty much ready to go, maybe need a few finishing touches. So why don't they have a fighter page yet like Hero?
Unless...

What if they've been waiting to add someone first?

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606
Wait....

Banjo & Kazooie don't show up on the website yet, besides on the fighter DLC list.
They look to be pretty much ready to go, maybe need a few finishing touches. So why don't they have a fighter page yet like Hero?
Unless...

And obviously that person is Solaire of Astora :starman:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Wait....

Unless...

Heh, that'd be cool but eh, I was merely jesting about the move the number thing

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
if he was to be announced as #4 or a bonus #7 I don't see why it would contradict the order, it's not like there going to or have to drop him mid-pass or at the very least until after banjo. now I think the chance of a straight up geno reveal coming up is minuscule but not too far fetched if they want to do a reveal with every new character release, also showing off #5 with the banjo drop. I think it's more likely to be a pair during or after banjo's release but who knows sakurai did say he hated having to sell the pass blind and that would expedite the process.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Wait....

Unless...

that seems fairly iffy, especially since Banjo already HAS a number, 73. And a vague idea of when he'll be released. I'm pretty sure the only reason his page isn't up is so they can put it up later to build hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom