• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Generating A Win: An Electrifying Guide to Pikachu

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Why does all the cool stuff happen when I'm out of state in some cheap-*** hotel without internet access?!

This guide is forged from an alloy of Awesome, ****yeah, and Dragonforce. Every metal on the periodic table is naught but a swooning girl-child to this alloy's manly amounts of win.

Shall we add an item section, or save that for an individual thread?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is probably the best and most informative guide I have ever read... It covers everything I can think of.

I like how it even explains what some of the common abbreviations are. (Like SHAD) Many guides fail to do that. It avoids a lot of trouble and confusion for newbies looking to learn.

I learned quite a few new tricks from this. :D I've gotta break my shield for a taunt sometime too. That's the greatest taunt ever and I never would have thought of it. D:

I also like how the main points in a section are made obvious with different colors and sizes. It makes it much more easy to follow and makes the guide seem less like a WALL OF TEXT. I've always had issues with guides that are nothing but a huge WALL OF TEXT and I end up losing sight of the point they're trying to make and have to reread it. I didn't have to do that for this guide.

Seriously. Amazing guide. And very few spelling errors to boot, which is even more amazing.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yeah, now with the CG stuff some of this is gonna change. Why couldn't we have discovered the CG 2 weeks ago...

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
YOUR GUIDE IS WRONG!!!

Big baddie stealth... what you going to do here? Stop Q.Q'ing

consider yourself lucky you weren't at gig, and aren't going to the nakacon tournament tomorrow

~Fino
All right, I'm going to address this one time and one time only.

The information in the guide concerning projectiles was never wrong. Fino considers Olimar's smashes to be projectiles, but when I wrote "Pikmin," I was referring specifically to the move "Pikmin Throw." This has been corrected. It was simply an issue of clarity, if anything.

However, Fino has brought to my attention that I should include Olimar's smashes as well as Snake's mortar (from his usmash) since technically they're all projectiles. I'll work on getting this information and including it.

so its seems that most pika players that i talked to use their fsmash to space and rarely save it for killing. this is fine, but i think a master of pika should know when to use for killing. i stand firm next to gaw for saving it for the kill.

some characters in which i think it should be saved for the kill are DDD, falco, fox, yoshi, sonic, olimar and diddy.

i would definately agree 100% with using it for spacing against rob, marth, mk, zelda, snake, Charizard, DK, bowser, ike, link, toon link, peach, wario, luigi, lucas, ness, wolf, zss, and IC's.

for those i have not mentioned like samus, CF, sheik, PT, jigglypuff, ganondorf, and pit i really dont know cuz i think they could go either way. none of them are a must need spacer or save for killer.
Thanks, Gallax, I'll edit this into the guide as soon as I can.

Wow this is great. Now I have a bunch of things in mind I could practice.
Also, skull bash can trip with low charge. it's not very useful, but it can happen.
Thanks!

This also reminds me that I forgot to add that tjolt can trip as well. Even more stuff to edit in. :)

You're guide is now wrong. Dthrow has more CGs lol.
Yeah, now with the CG stuff some of this is gonna change. Why couldn't we have discovered the CG 2 weeks ago...
Yeah, I know, all this new CG stuff is definitely going to change the sections that have to do with Pika's throws.

I'm kind of waiting for more of the CGs to be confirmed before I change anything, but I've already PM'd Tag & Prime so they can give me the information that's definitely been tested and confirmed. The CG thread is a little.... uh, disorganized.

Shall we add an item section, or save that for an individual thread?
Besides the fact that adding items would make this guide waaaaay too long, this is meant to be a guide for Pika in competitive singles play. Doubles/items/FFAs play so differently that I think each of them deserves their own thread.

If you start one, I'll definitely help out, though! Don't know how much of a response you'd get since not many people play with items on.....

Also, thanks again to everyone who's had positive things to say about the guide. We put a lot of work into it, so it's nice to see that it's being appreciated. :bee:

And even though I really, really disagree with your methods of... um... "critique," thanks to Fino for your not-so-constructive criticism. I just want this guide to be informative and accurate, so if something is incorrect, I'm not going to be offended if someone points it out in a reasonable manner.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
[snip]
Besides the fact that adding items would make this guide waaaaay too long, this is meant to be a guide for Pika in competitive singles play. Doubles/items/FFAs play so differently that I think each of them deserves their own thread.

If you start one, I'll definitely help out, though! Don't know how much of a response you'd get since not many people play with items on.....

Also, thanks again to everyone who's had positive things to say about the guide. We put a lot of work into it, so it's nice to see that it's being appreciated. :bee:

And even though I really, really disagree with your methods of... um... "critique," thanks to Fino for your not-so-constructive criticism. I just want this guide to be informative and accurate, so if something is incorrect, I'm not going to be offended if someone points it out in a reasonable manner.[/COLOR]
Do keep in mind though, DDD spawns items, and at a reasonable rate to. Enough so that you can expect to see at least one in a match with DDD (at least this has been my experience).

Meow.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Do keep in mind though, DDD spawns items, and at a reasonable rate to. Enough so that you can expect to see at least one in a match with DDD (at least this has been my experience).

Meow.
Nah, in tournies, items are off in general, and each individual item is off. DDD can't pull items this way.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah, in tournies, items are off in general, and each individual item is off. DDD can't pull items this way.
So THAT'S why they're set to both None and Off. I never knew that would affect Dedede... Why is it different for Peach though? She gets Saturns, Bomb-ombs, and beam swords even when they're switched off.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
Ah, interesting. I didn't know that. Too bad, i really liked the controlled yet random element of DDD's items.

Mew.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ignore this cause im silly like that

EDIT: yay a question un answered! peach only spawns those three items seperately, and ddd's programing uses the item list as a base.

gallax

Smash Hero
for pika in doubles, i remember a thread where we argued who would be great for a pika partner. in the end we decided upon lucas and gaw, mainly gaw as the best partner. the thing with lucas was that we could heal him by 30% and let the lucas player just projectile the zhit out of the opponent. with gaw it was all about the bucket. instant kill with his bucket and the hammer. i remember playing with my roomate once and his gaw and we were playing two random people and i happened to grab one as pika and he came over and used his hammer just to hammer and got a 9. it was awesome. i lol'd so hard.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
you know, i looked in guide and guess what... I didn't find what I was looking for:

Frame Pikachu grabs and frame Pikachu pivot grabs

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
you know, i looked in guide and guess what... I didn't find what I was looking for:

Frame Pikachu grabs and frame Pikachu pivot grabs
It already says that only frames for moves in the guide are included.... and then links to K Prime's thread. Durr.

But yeah, like Gallax said, 6 frames. Same for every character but Zelda (who's 12 frames...... x.x) and some others.

BoRn

Smash Apprentice
Omfg i dont even wanna pick up pika any more! All that research you guys did and all the reading i had to do left me feeling like im workin. Pika must not be any fun lol

Amazing guide. You can make a book out of all that outstanding information! This will work perfectly in helping stealth get plenty of practice before our dittos(you'll need it)

Good work ladies

ChiefOnionSauce

Smash Cadet
this guide is hawt.

only read the first post so far, but everything is extremely well done.

maid me laugh quite a bit.

Good job!! *thumbs up

Zylar

Smash Ace
Omfg i dont even wanna pick up pika any more! All that research you guys did and all the reading i had to do left me feeling like im workin. Pika must not be any fun lol
Didn't you notice the emphasis of having fun, throughout the guide?

Don't play pika if you don't have fun with him. But do play if you do.
But this guide shouldn't discourage you from having fun. That doesn't even makes sense.

RedAndBlueTheme

Smash Rookie
Wow, I really like this guide. But I'm still having some issues with the QAC.
Do people usually tap jump to jump out of a QAC?

King~

Smash Champion
everyone has their own diffrent setups

i personally find it easier with tap jump off some do it with it on. use what ever your most comfortable with and just pracice the timing

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
the key difference is with tap jump on, if you QAC into the ground you can hold up afterward, and you automatically jump, which enables you to do another one, whereas with tap jump off you have to press jump with pretty good timing, instead of just holding up. My advice is don't mess with tap jump for this alone; use what you would use normally, and work this into it

RedAndBlueTheme

Smash Rookie
One more thing,

How do you QA across a stage in a straight line on the ground? I've seen it happen before and I did it a few times on accident but I don't know how to do it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
How do you QA across a stage in a straight line on the ground? I've seen it happen before and I did it a few times on accident but I don't know how to do it.
QA horizontally, then QA diagonally downwards. Depending on the angle, you'll just move farther horizontally since you can't go into the floor.

Or, alternatively, you can just QA diagonally into the floor with your first QA. You'll still cancel it (which won't happen if you just go straight horizontally), but you'll get some horizontal movement.

Btw, guys, I'm probably going to edit this either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've been busy/MIA lately..... ><

5ive

Smash Champion
Really though. I think you have to add my video guide IN BOLD, somewhere at the top :p

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hmm, looks like this won't be updated until I get back on Sunday. Possibly Monday morning.

Off to BTYF, I'll be back in two days! Wish me luck. <3

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I loved this guide; it's so detailed. I have a question though. You were talking about predicting your opponent's reaction to tjolt and punishing it. You mentioned how to punish spot dodging, shielding, and jumping. What if they are just jabbing the tjolts away?

Jupz

Smash Master
Read most of this, its insane, nice work :)
Is there any information about pikas new buffered chaingrab?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Jupz, I don't think it is added yet. Just go to the thread, it should be one of the first non-stickied ones.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The guide's been updated, everyone! Added the new CG information, added Z drop > aerial pickup in Minor Techs, and removed boost grabbing, just to name a few things.

This was a pretty quick update to get a few of the more important changes done. I still have to read through the entire guide again to find and fix the spelling mistakes some people said they saw, and with the new additions, I didn't format them as prettily as I would have liked. (I'm anal about stuff like that....)

I also have to add Snake's mortar & Olimar's smashes to "Tjolt's Behavior vs. Other Projectiles" and make a few other little tweaks.

But, yeah. The important stuff's done.

I loved this guide; it's so detailed. I have a question though. You were talking about predicting your opponent's reaction to tjolt and punishing it. You mentioned how to punish spot dodging, shielding, and jumping. What if they are just jabbing the tjolts away?
Late response ftw.

Unfortunately, if your opponent is playing a character who can easily deal with tjolts -- ex: Marth (jab/fair), Kirby (bair), DK (pretty much every move he has) -- your only option is to be more unpredictable with them.

If you're straight-up camping and they don't have a projectile of their own, it's usually pretty easy to catch them with tjolts if you vary the timing.... SH'ing some, double jumping some, moving back and forth, etc. It's annoying and kind of boring (for me, anyway), but it gets the job done, and at the distance you're probably camping from, they won't be able to punish you for trying. If they get too close, just QAC > tjolt away.

If you're only semi-camping, you can try tjolting from the air and punishing whatever move they're using when you land. This pretty much only works on grounded opponents, though, and it's not guaranteed at all.... example: tjolt Marth, land outside his jab range, and fsmash/dtilt/grab/whatever as soon as you land.

They can usually shield before your attack comes out, but it's worth a try if you don't wanna keep camping. Maybe someone else has better ideas.... either way, I'll think about this some more and add it to the guide. <3

Top Bottom