• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anyways, my prediction for the final three characters for this game. ? = newcomer, by the way

Cloud, :wolf:, :snake:

OR
Cloud, :wolf:, ?

OR
Cloud, :snake:, ?

OR, hell

Cloud, ?, ?

One of those four options.
That's... um, that's basically literally ANYTHING. Not much of a prediction.

FYI I think there will be more than 3 characters, and that Cloud will release with at least one newcomer, if not two. If a veteran is released with Cloud I don't think it will be Snake.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's... um, that's basically literally ANYTHING. Not much of a prediction.

FYI I think there will be more than 3 characters, and that Cloud will release with at least one newcomer, if not two. If a veteran is released with Cloud I don't think it will be Snake.
Ironically, the only thing that prediction does NOT account for is more than three characters.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I kinda doubt there will be more than three characters left at this point.

I mean, Sakurai's already stated they couldn't make THAT many characters, the Direct we're getting in December mentions that it will be the last broadcast this game gets, and eventually they have to move on sometime.

A year's worth of support for Smash with seven DLC characters is pretty impressive as is. I initially thought we'd only get like three when Mewtwo was announced.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I kinda doubt there will be more than three characters left at this point.

I mean, Sakurai's already stated they couldn't make THAT many characters, the Direct we're getting in December mentions that it will be the last broadcast this game gets, and eventually they have to move on sometime.

Seven DLC characters for this game is pretty impressive as is. I initially thought we'd only get like three when Mewtwo was announced.
I don't think there will be too many. Probably around four, but no more than 6 at the most. The Direct was specifically stated to be the last broadcast, an interesting choice of words. I mean, of course I think its going to end. I'm not saying it won't, but they're hyping this up to be pretty big. They announced this at least 3 weeks in advance, but more likely an entire month, something they rarely ever do. Then there's the fact that Cloud appears to be yet another pre-ballot character, when the ballot itself will also likely factor into adding new characters.

The other fact is that the game currently has the best selling DLC of any Nintendo game, which is something they'd probably take into consideration.

Obviously its going to end. But I'm not sure its ending just quite yet. This will be the last major event, though, and could potentially announce the last of the content to release, but I don't think it'll be quite the end... it'll just lead into the end of Smash DLC content.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It'd be pretty hype if they spend the broadcast going through what we expect, (Cloud details, a veteran, possibly a newcomer) but then it goes to Sakurai explaining who he chose from the ballot, why he chose them, and when we can expect to see them over the coming months. I think it'd be cool to actually receive some insight from Sakurai in regards to why he chose what. Since this is the last BROADCAST, I'm thinking they could just detail their plans going forward. It'd be cool if that's how it went down.

Troykv

Smash Master
Most people seem to have the fanmade rule '1 DLC per franchise' so they didn't bother asking for Squirtle or Ivysaur because of Mewtwo iirc. Shame really, would love to see both of them back
This deal makes me harder support Micaiah or any other character in a similar sittuation (Adeleine over BD is absurdly unlikeable).

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Here's my predictions:

Characters and Stages:

:4cloud: + Midgar Stage
King K. Rool + Unknown Stage (Gangplank Galleon?)
(Bandana) Waddle Dee + Unknown Stage (Not sure what it could be actually...)
Shantae + Unknown Stage (Scuttle Town?)
Unkown Stages

Mii Costumes:
Chocobo Hat for all :4mii:s (+ Chocobo Outfit for :4miibrawl: + Additional Trophy?)
Unknown Costumes (Alex Kidd as a :4miibrawl: maybe?)

Modes:

Unknown Modes (Maybe Melee-styled Adventure Mode?)

Amiibo:

:4feroy:
:4ryu:
Conformation on if the other characters will get Amiibo, which is most likely the case but you never know

Balance and Nerf Patches

Release Date

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
So I've been doing speculation for at least a year now, and I've heard "iconic" used pretty frequently. However, I really don't know what that means in this context.

What do you guys consider the definition for "iconic" when it comes to video game characters?

Is iconic simply another word for popular or is there something else we have to consider?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I've been doing speculation for at least a year now, and I've heard "iconic" used pretty frequently. However, I really don't know what that means in this context.

What do you guys consider the definition for "iconic" when it comes to video game characters?
I go with "at least recognizable to a sizable portion of video game players, accompanied by some impact to the industry."

So far, Sakurai's choices for third party characters all meet this criteria. Mario and Zelda's lineup (save maybe Rosalina) in addition to Pikachu, Charizard, Puff, Mewtwo, Lucario (for the current generation) Fox+Falco, DK+Diddy, and a few others.

There's obviously definitions of iconic that encompass specific ideas that apply to *aspects* of characters (the Master Sword, Hadouken) but as far as characters that's what it means to me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's my predictions:

Characters and Stages:

Unkown Stages

Mii Costumes:
Chocobo Hat for all :4mii:s (+ Chocobo Outfit for :4miibrawl: + Additional Trophy?)

Modes:

Amiibo:

Conformation on if the other characters will get Amiibo, which is most likely the case but you never know

Balance and Nerf Patches

Release Date
I honestly doubt getting more than 2 stages after Midgar.
Hell, aren't the "planned slots" for stages as of the last patch only listing of one other stage?
and I'd pur Wolf FAR before Shantae.
This is from a spoken supporter of the HGH.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Here's my predictions:

Characters and Stages:

You don't say... :rolleyes:

I'm not a K. Rool supporter, but Gangplank Galleon would be enough for me to accept him.

Fountain of Dreams? :lol:

Shantae?

Eh, why not?

Unknown Stages
You play it too safe...

Mii Costumes:
You play it WAY too safe...

Also, the lack of other FF costumes is dissapointing...

Modes:

Too safe...but also a very crazy prediction...

Amiibo:

Confirmation on if the other characters will get Amiibo, which is most likely the case but you never know

Balance and Nerf Patches

Release Date
Way too obvious! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I go with "at least recognizable to a sizable portion of video game players, accompanied by some impact to the industry."

So far, Sakurai's choices for third party characters all meet this criteria. Mario and Zelda's lineup (save maybe Rosalina) in addition to Pikachu, Charizard, Puff, Mewtwo, Lucario (for the current generation) Fox+Falco, DK+Diddy, and a few others.

There's obviously definitions of iconic that encompass specific ideas that apply to *aspects* of characters (the Master Sword, Hadouken) but as far as characters that's what it means to me.
:4bowserjr:
I honestly doubt getting more than 2 stages after Midgar.
Hell, aren't the "planned slots" for stages as of the last patch only listing of one other stage?
and I'd pur Wolf FAR before Shantae.
This is from a spoken supporter of the HGH.
Itsa hunch I have. So do you think that B. D. and K. Rool wouldn't come with any stages then? :confused:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You don't say... :rolleyes:

I'm not a K. Rool supporter, but Gangplank Galleon would be enough for me to accept him.

Fountain of Dreams? :lol:

Shantae?

Eh, why not?

You play it too safe...

You play it WAY too safe...

Also, the lack of other FF costumes is dissapointing...

Too safe...but also a very crazy prediction...

Way too safe...
Don't want to go overboard, which is why I'm playing safe. If I could say any FF costumes though, I'd say Tifa as a :4miibrawl:, Sephiroth as a:4miisword:, and Black Mage as a :4miigun:. Other costumes include Ken and Chun-Li as :4miibrawl:s, Urban Champion as a :4miibrawl:, and Dark Samus as a :4miigun:. And for possible stages, maybe Springsdale from Yo-Kai Watch, Nintendo is paying alot of attention to that game as of late. As for balance patches, :4greninja:?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Don't want to go overboard, which is why I'm playing safe. If I could say any FF costumes though, I'd say Tifa as a :4miibrawl:, Sephiroth as a:4miisword:, and Black Mage as a :4miigun:. Other costumes include Ken and Chun-Li as :4miibrawl:s, Urban Champion as a :4miibrawl:, and Dark Samus as a :4miigun:. And for possible stages, maybe Springsdale from Yo-Kai Watch, Nintendo is paying alot of attention to that game as of late. As for balance patches, :4greninja:?
Barret as Gunner can also work...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Lol wut. Rosalina is a very popular Mario character, being in the Galaxy games which arguably are Mario's best ever games so far.
There is a reason she is put into so many spinoff's and made playable in 3D World.

Then again this is coming from a Rosa Main and a aggressive supporter of her in Smash back in 2013 before her reveal so there is some BS involved above.... gosh times flies.
I can see everything but Shantae (and her stage) happening.
I can see it happening. It's possible...

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Black Mage is a character that alot of people wanted though, but I could see Barret actually.
I think Black Mage works better as Swordfighter because of the cane...

Maybe a retro and a FF7 for each?

Tifa and Ninja as Brawlers
Sephiroth and Black Mage as Swordfighters
Barret and White Mage as Gunners

Yes, I took FF characters that appeared in Mario Sports Mix...

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think Black Mage works better as Swordfighter because of the cane...

Maybe a retro and a FF7 for each?

Ninja and Tifa as Brawlers
Sephiroth and Black Mage as Swordfighters
Barret and White Mage as Gunners
Actually, I think that's probably the best list! And maybe throw in a Moogle hat? :3

Lol wut. Rosalina is a very popular Mario character, being in the Galaxy games which arguably are Mario's best ever games so far.
There is a reason she is put into so many spinoff's and made playable in 3D World.

Then again this is coming from a Rosa Main and a aggressive supporter of her in Smash back in 2013 before her reveal so there is some BS involved above.... gosh times flies.

I can see it happening. It's possible...
I'm not saying it's completely impossible. But I've explained my reasons why I can't personally see Shantae happening several times before.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly?
I think we're just getting Wolf and K. Rool in addition. As much as I'd like to see Inklings, Shantae, or B. Dee, I'm aiming low with the SCALE of our dlc.
I don't think we're getting Wolf. The reason why is that at this point he'd be so predictable that it wouldn't be hype at all. We'd all now he's coming, so I don't see him happening at this point. :/

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about wolf..... at this point I almost feel like Snake could overtake him....
1) Why would we be limited to just one?
2) Wolf would take less work, not even talking about legal matters, but just because his specials are already in the game if nothing else. It's... genuinely shocking he hasnt been announced yet.

Edit:
I don't think we're getting Wolf. The reason why is that at this point he'd be so predictable that it wouldn't be hype at all. We'd all now he's coming, so I don't see him happening at this point. :/
What I read that as.
"He's too sensible of a choice to be a good choice."
He's wanted. He's minimal to make. And he'll sell.
Why WOULDN'T we? Besides the argument of "Hype"

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well... they did say any character that has appeared in a game. Snake has appeared in games. And Cloud got in, even with the companies's grudges or whatever.
Yeah, but the company owning the character must approve the use of its character in Smash.

In other words, the only reason Cloud got in is because Square Enix said yes.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
1) Why would we be limited to just one?
2) Wolf would take less work, not even talking about legal matters, but just because his specials are already in the game if nothing else. It's... genuinely shocking he hasnt been announced yet.

Edit:

What I read that as.
"He's too sensible of a choice to be a good choice."
He's wanted. He's minimal to make. And he'll sell.
Why WOULDN'T we? Besides the argument of "Hype"
I mean I'd have no problem with him, it's just everyone is saying he's shoo-in and inevitable, I'd think that they'd had already had announced him by now. But that's just me. :/

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well... they did say any character that has appeared in a game. Snake has appeared in games. And Cloud got in, even with the companies's grudges or whatever.
Lemme propose this to you: What has changed about Snake's chances since the choosing for the base roster, during which time Kojima said that he nor Konami as a company were approached by Sakurai or Nintendo for Snake's return?

MGS:V has been released.
Kojima has left Konami.
Konami's become a scourge of a company in most of the community's eyes.
The Smash Ballot happened, said to be considered for newcomers with DLC and future Smash titles.

What changed for :4ryu:? Capcom got their foot in the door with :4megaman:.

What changed for :4cloud:? SQUARE ENIX SUPPORTING NINTENDO GUNG-HO AS OF LATE.

Edit: I seriously think Nintendo's gotten more Squeenix games announced as of late than Sony.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Burruni Burruni , actually I just had a crazy thought, what if Wolf was a "Thank You" prize to the people who bought all of the DLC, "Easy to make" "Would sell well".

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
Then there will be people who hate his inclusion in the game and call him a clone.

Now that I think about it, yeah Wolf is most likely getting in.

I think shantae might be the other one.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Burruni Burruni , actually I just had a crazy thought, what if Wolf was a "Thank You" prize to the people who bought all of the DLC, "Easy to make" "Would sell well".
I've had that exact same thought. It would be oh and if you buy all the DLC, you get the fan favorite Wolf free. Of course you'll also have the option to buy him separately.

Burruni

Smash Hero
He's coming.
Justify it as you want.
But I can't be wrong about DLC fighters 4 times in a row, riiight?
:4feroy: - Melee's probably too old to work with for "porting" a character so they'd only bother remaking the original character who got cut, :4mewtwo:. The entire Marth clone schtick and flaming sword are taken, as welll as his name. :4lucina::4myfriends::4roy:

:4ryu: - We're not getting 3rd Party DLC.

:4cloud:- They wouldn't start on another 3rd Party DLC fighter because of the work it'd stack onto an already stack onto the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom