• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
NOTICE: This thread will be closing on December 16th, 2015, at 6 PM CST. Please read this post for more details.

Welcome to the General DLC Discussion thread.

With the recent closure of the Official Character Ballot on the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U website, this thread shall serve as the last regular thread for discussing any upcoming DLC; this includes any potential character, stage, mode, etc. additions to the game.

Given the nature of this type of discussion, Staff members will be heavily monitoring this thread so please keep in mind the following:

• This is not a social thread. Please use the Wii U Social thread instead.
  • This thread is not for the discussion of any future Smash Bros. games. Discussion of a fifth game in the Super Smash Bros. series belongs in the NintenZone board.
  • With the coming closure of the Character Discussion board, specific character support threads have been redirected to Social Groups. If you have questions relating to Social Groups please contact --- --- or Opossum Opossum
  • Please keep SWF's Terms and Rules in mind at all times. Thread bans will be handed out if deemed necessary.
  • Please remember to report and ignore any post that you feel is problematic. It takes two to argue, so we will hand out infractions to all parties involved when necessary.
  • While not fully outlawed, please remember that the discussion of rumors is frowned upon unless they have evidence beyond "reliable" sources i.e. text rumors, so stay mindful of the nature of rumors if one is brought up in discussion (because spam infractions).

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, time for a new beginning, I guess. Whelp, at least I got a new place to sit in while I wait for Wolf to return.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
What kinds of DLC would you guys want to see ?

Personally, I'd want the return of "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platforms" modes.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Okay then. #syluxforsmash because potential dlc discussion and i'm shameless

I might as well post what I think the next DLC wave could be given our months of waiting.

-2 characters at worst
-More Mii costumes
-A brand new stage, maybe another returning stage from the past games
-Off-chance: new game mode(we've been waiting for quite some time now, so I see this as a slight possibility)

Personally, I'd want the return of "Break the Targets" and "Board the Platforms" modes.
With my own thoughts of a new game mode coming, I'd like to see something like Melee's Adventure Mode. Have it fill in that void left by Smash Tour's existence.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
With my own thoughts of a new game mode coming, I'd like to see something like Melee's Adventure Mode. Have it fill in that void left by Smash Tour's existence.
I'd like to see it too but it's highly unlikely I'll happen.

I also agree with the addition of new stages, perhaps one based off Splatoon.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

With all the Smash 64 stages we've seen, that would be a nice way to round it up.

Both were fun game modes.

:231:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

An upgraded stage builder with the Brawl one's assets added, don't get me wrong, I love being able to draw a stage, but I'd like to be able to bring in the old things that Brawl's one had that we don't have anymore, like placing blocks :p.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm hoping the free addition of the Duck Hunt stage to the 3DS version was a precursor to more cross-platform porting. Would love to see 3DS stages like Prism Tower, Balloon Fight, Magicant, Mute City, and even returning stages like Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Corneria and Brinstar on the Wii U version (possibly even in HD glory).

Closing the main thread will make it a little harder to advertise/answer questions about my group. RIP
Of course that is inconsequential at best so I dont care.

If you all care my group is still open for all your character support needs. It has been rebranded to fit with the times. I know some/most of you only care for 1 or 2 characters anyway
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/all-character-support.1812/

Also uhhh Viridi/Wonder Red/Ridley/Edea Lee/Phoenix Wright for smash. Yoshis Island (Brawl) for Wii U. Phendrana Drifts for Smash.
#NoHope

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
An upgraded stage builder with the Brawl one's assets added, don't get me wrong, I love being able to draw a stage, but I'd like to be able to bring in the old things that Brawl's one had that we don't have anymore, like placing blocks :p.
Definitely!

The current stage builder is currently a bit lackluster. I really hope they increase or even better, totally remove the weight limit.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm hoping Inkling and Shantae as DLC characters, and more retro stages return.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'd kill for Frigate Orpheon to come back, and to see Magicant on the Wii U, even if that Flying Man can go die in a hole.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
The stage builder definitely needs more stage objects (falling blocks, ice, and spikes at the very least come to mind), and the drawing itself honestly needs an overhaul. I have such a hard time with it that I've honestly given up several times just because it isn't worth trying to work with it. I'd rather the blocks from Brawl just return, as Mario Maker has shown how well tile-based level editing works with the Gamepad. Enemy AI also tends to be really bad on custom stages as well... Hopefully they'll do DLC for the stage editor and fix some of that in a patch as well. I'd consider this top priority on my list, just because it's so bad right now. A new Adventure Mode and some of the side stuff like Break the Targets would be nice as well, though, because I can only play Classic and All-Star so many times...

As for stages, I can't really think of any must-haves from previous entries aside from putting Corneria/Sector Z on the Wii U version. It's always been a really good stage to fight on, and with the likelihood of Wolf, I could see it easily happening. I guess I'd like to see the Mario Bros Arcade stage return as well, as it's probably the stage I miss the most, but I'm sure they're done putting in Mario levels at this point. :c

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm a little sick of the returning stages, I want some new ones, where's a stage based on Kirby on the rainbow paintbrush or triple deluxe, where's the tropical freeze stage or gangplank galleon, where's a metroid stage that isn't lava or acid based, where's a Sauria stage or a Doctor Mario stage. I want something original, since smash 4 launched we've only had 2 new DLC stages

Also, It's quite obvious who I want if you scroll down a teensy bit

D

Deleted member

Guess I came to late. But great to see a new thread I hope King K. Rool, Wolf, Shovel Knight, and Inkling make it.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I'm a little sick of the returning stages, I want some new ones, where's a stage based on Kirby on the rainbow paintbrush or triple deluxe, where's the tropical freeze stage or gangplank galleon, where's a metroid stage that isn't lava or acid based, where's a Sauria stage or a Doctor Mario stage. I want something original, since smash 4 launched we've only had 2 new DLC stages

Also, It's quite obvious who I want if you scroll down a teensy bit
On the subject of Gang-Plank Galleon- personally, I believe that they re-added the Pirate Ship so that they could use it in K.Rool's reveal trailer. ;)

A Dr. Mario stage would be pretty legit. If the stage featured Dr. Mario throwing pills down at the stage, they could swap him out for Nurse Peach (or Dr. Luigi most likely) if anyone is playing as the Doc, like how the Spirit Tracks stage works. But yeah, having viruses and pills as hazards would be awesome.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well with this new thread. I thought I'd get my current expectations as for characters left

*At least 3 are left (May be based on the data mining, but given it was increased from 2 we can imagine that's an indicator of something). I think there's also a chance it somehow becomes 4 because Sakurai has gone the extra mile before, though the fourth character would likely be a character easy to make. Though this may just be me hoping there's a fourth so we have an even 60 characters for the final roster
-One will be a veteran (Probably Wolf)
-One will be a 1st Party Newcomer (This is more up in the air compared to veterans, but K. Rool, Inklings, etc. are among the top possibilities)
-One will be a 3rd Party. Nintendo didn't restrict the ballot to just Nintendo characters. And no doubt 3rd Party characters getting through the ballot is what would cause the most hype. I don't have any surefire bets of characters in this category. But if I had to say one, probably Rayman given he even appears in the game already as a trophy. Plus the ballot started not too long after that Rayman leak left many feeling disappointed.
- If there is a fourth like I suggested, it will likely be someone who was relatively popular in the ballot and can be easily made as a semi-clone (Ex: Dixie for Diddy)

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
-Tiki from Fire Emblem
-Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat
-Birthday Suit Samus
-Issac from Golden Sun
-Orchid from Killer Instinct
-Snake from Metal Gear
-New events and stages to accompany these characters.
-Character specific target test.
-A customs shop.
-MORE OPTIONS FOR STAGE BUILDER!!!

D

Deleted member

Yeah I've seen them. Trying to enjoy them before closure. Then I'll probably post here and in The social threads after. Thanks for the welcome!

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I swear if wolf comes in ill be downright pissed. We don't need another semi clone coming in and I'm sure we will all like it if a fresh new character comes with new movesets. Also we need more Xenoblade characters!!!!! plz Nintendo.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Everything happened so fast....sad to see things starting to deviate away from normal...but then again that has been happening for ages thanks to the drought we've had so I guess it's for the better...

Well I guess I'll christen myself into the new thread by posting my Top 5 most wanted characters:
5-Wolf
4-Impa
3-Ridley
2-Dark Samus
1-Midna

As for my most wanted stages (in no particular order):
Phendrana Drifts/Skytown (something new from Metroid Prime without Lava essentially)
Clock Town (Majora's Mask with a nice three day cycle with the moon crashing and everything)
Lorule Castle (Vertically Scrolling with all sorts of shenanigans happening like from ALBW)
Super Mario Strikers Stage (gimmie some nets to go with the Soccer Ball)
Tetris Stage (you know it'd be awesome)

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Past stages I'd love to see as DLC:

Saffron City (I think most people agree)
Mushroom Kingdom II
Peach's Castle
Great Bay
Fourside
New Pork City (for 8 player Smash)
Shadow Moses Island (Snake included)

New stages: (places I think would be cool aesthetically)

Splatoon themed stage (with or without Inklings)
Snowhorn Wastes
Bowser's Castle (we're still allowed to dream)
1080* Snowboarding
Wii Play Laser Hockey
Twilight Realm

Bomberman 64 (oh, with the man himself of course)

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I swear if wolf comes in ill be downright pissed. We don't need another semi clone coming in and I'm sure we will all like it if a fresh new character comes with new movesets. Also we need more Xenoblade characters!!!!! plz Nintendo.
That's my only problem with the current DLC. It just feels lack luster. We've gotten what? Three veterans and one new character who honestly isn't all that great, IMO. I would've rather seen all three of the veterans get cut and replaced with newcomers worth buying.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wolf has like, three moves out of his entire moveset that are even similar to Fox. At this point he would be fresh: his feral fighting style is nowhere else on the roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's my only problem with the current DLC. It just feels lack luster. We've gotten what? Three veterans and one new character who honestly isn't all that great, IMO. I would've rather seen all three of the veterans get cut and replaced with newcomers worth buying.
Well, said veterans were fan favorites, one of which was easily one of the most desired characters for the majority of Smash 4 speculation. To discount them entirely due to their veteran status is a massive disservice.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Well, said veterans were fan favorites, one of which was easily one of the most desired characters for the majority of Smash 4 speculation. To discount them entirely due to their veteran status is a massive disservice.
Meh. Opinions. I'm good anyway, since the only one I bought was Ryu.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I don't see how the current character DLC we've gotten is lackluster when it's been a) one of Smash 4's most requested veterans and most requested characters period :4mewtwo:, b) two less wanted but still notable veterans from a previous game :4lucas: :4feroy: and c) a fighting game legend who defined the genre :4ryu:.

I want newcomers as much as the next guy, but all four have merits to stand on regardless and are certainly good picks.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as Character DLC I'd want?
Chrom
Henry Fleming
Ice Climbers
Wolf
King K. Rool
Chibi Robo
Snake
Inkling
Muddy Mole
Chorus Kids

But as far as which ones are even remotely likely, I'm left with just Wolf, Inkling, and K. Rool. :p

For stages, I'd love to see more ports like what happened with Duck Hunt becoming free 3DS DLC. I'd love for some 3DS stages to come to Wii U, namely Arena Ferox, Magicant, Prism Tower, and a slightly altered Pac-Maze (so it doesn't rely on just one person seeing the screen, and also because I outright hate the Pac-Land stage). I'd also love a Gyromite stage, since R.O.B. remains the only character on the Wii U version that lacks a home stage.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
What would I like to see as DLC?

Characters:
Wolf - Has everything going for him, super highly requested, and a safe pick. #FreeWolf
Krystal - Would make for an awesome newcomer because of her staff. She'd bring something new to the roster.
Sceptile - Completes the starter trio, and would be unique from the other Pokemon. Imagine Ivysaur, but better.

Stages:
Poke Floats or Poke Floats 2 - Poke Floats was so much fun to play on back in the day. Imagine more/new Pokemon, too!
Venom or a Star Fox Zero level stage - Bias because I love Star Fox, and could coincide with a Star Fox newcomer *Krystal*
Great Bay - Very fun stage that a lot of people would like to see.
Yoshi's Island - This stage was fun and competitively viable. Would make for a great choice.
Fountain of Dreams - Another competitive stage what was fun to play.
Corneria on Wii U and Lylat Cruise on 3DS - A good trade that could also come with a Star Fox character *Wolf & Krystal*

Modes:
Crew Battle - Pick 'x' amount of characters, and when you lose a stock, you go to the next fighter. Team-colored crews!
Subspace Emissary Remade, Sequel, or new Story Mode - Fighting games with Story Modes are the best. Loved it in Brawl.

He's as close to Fox as Captain Falcon is to Samus in 64. Shares similarities, but otherwise completely unique. Wolf would be fresh because there are no fighters on the roster like him.

Now as for the talk on our current DLC, I feel pretty meh about it. Mewtwo was cool to see, Lucas never should have been cut, Roy raised the Marth count to 2.5, and Ryu... well, I have nothing nice to say about him...

What would I like see:

Characters:
King K. Rool
Bandana Dee
Wolf
Captain Toad
Black Mage
Bomberman
Gengar

Stages:
Gangplank Galleon or The Flying Krock
Poke Floats or Saffron City
Fountain of Dreams
Bowser's Castle
Fourside
Yoshi's Story
Kirby stage from newer games
Wario Land stage

Modes:
Adventure Mode
Boss Battle Mode
Target Smash

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I thought the changes were in effective as of 10/31? Personally, I wouldn't have made the move until Smash DLC was completely over. Just seems abrupt for a closure at this time.

As for my DLC wants...

Characters

Isaac
Bandanna Dee
K. Rool
Snake
Wolf

Stages

Poke Floats
Fourside
Rainbow Cruise
Venus Lighthouse (If Isaac makes it in)
Shadow Moses Island (If Snake makes it in)

Modes & Features

Adventure Mode
A Classic mode like the previous 3 games
Individual Break the Targets (Like Smash 64 & Melee)
Individual Board the Platforms
Customs for all DLC Characters
Boss Battles
Race to the Finish (Like Melee)
Added Songs from previous Smash games

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My full list of wants goes something like this:

Characters:
King K. Rool
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Inkling
(All my other wanted characters are assist trophies - RIP Waluigi, Tingle and Ashley)

Stages:
Lor Starcutter (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)
Venus Lighthouse
Gangplank Galleon
Mario Bros.

Modes:
Break the Targets
Boards the Platforms
A more 3DS-y Classic Mode for Wii U
Boss Battles

Other stuff:
Being able to play within your region.
More music from previous games.

That's it, I think.

:231:

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Characters:
  1. Medusa
  2. Bayonetta
  3. Shantae
  4. Ivysaur
  5. King K Rool
  6. Wolf
  7. Inkling
  8. Impa
  9. Rayman
  10. Squirtle
  11. Krystal
  12. Snake
Stages:
Inkopolis
Gangplank Galeon
1 more Melee stage
1 more Brawl Stage

I don't exactly have any preference which stages I would like back. Any returning stage will be new to me.
I don't want new modes as DLC.

Mii Fighter Costumes:
Shovel Knight
Proffessor Layton
Bayonetta
Medusa
Hades
Phosphora
Magnus

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Well, if we're putting our top characters for DLC, may as well put mine:

5.Wright-dono
4.Trite
3.Feenie
2.Nick
1.Phoenix Wright

...okay, I'm sorry, but he's the only character I actively want. As for characters that I would like that are more realistic choices, I guess I go with the big series that have few representation in the game, like Star fox or Donkey Kong. The return of Wolf is very possible and in my opinion he is a good choice. King K. Rool would be nice too.
Although at this point I will accept any character, because of the drought of news, the fact that the character I want has a very slime chance to get in and I don't really hate any of the characters that are being mentioned regarding the ballot. So yeah.

As for modes, the only ones I miss are the Subspace Emissary-like mode, Melee Break the Targets (I didn't like the Brawl one at all) and Adventure Mode, although the former two are really above this one. And if a Subspace Emissary was added, and had bosses in it, a Boss Mode would be nice.

Regarding stages, I expect returning ones, based on the ballot character or stages coming from recently successful games, like the Mario Maker stage or a new Splatoon stage (even if Inklings are not added). I don't think we're getting stages from older games with no character, like Mach Rider or Advance Wars.

Of course, this is an opinion, I could be wrong with anything.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
And no doubt 3rd Party characters getting through the ballot is what would cause the most hype.
Just because a character is third-party doesn't mean it'll be the most hype inducing newcomer. We already have four third-party characters in Smash 4, including one who is the only DLC newcomer for now, so I doubt we're in the context where a third-party ballot character would undoubtedly be the most hyped addition - and to be honest I don't remember Pac-Man being particularly that much more hyped than other newcomers like Palutena or Bowser Jr. after all.

I think that the ballot "fan service" relying on third-parties and thus on guests rather than sticking with what Smash Bros. is supposed to be - an all-star cast of Nintendo characters - would feel underwhelming imo. Then again it depends on who this character is, but there are almost no characters I can think of who seem worthy of being the new DLC guest in Smash 4 in my eyes - I seriously doubt someone like Rayman would be more hyped than the likes of K. Rool, Inkling or Bandanna Dee. Then again many people want Snake back, he's without a doubt the third-party character with the most support due to already being in a previous Smash game, but personally I don't mind him being a one-time deal. Of course those are just my opinion.

Besides, personal wishlist for the rest of Smash 4 DLC:
- bring back Wolf, I'm not his biggest fan but him missing doesn't feel right;
- add a DK newcomer in the form of K. Rool or Dixie Kong with a preference for the former;
- bring back some Melee stages including Fountain of Dreams;
- add custom moves to currently released and future DLC characters (the fact they didn't at the very least publicly acknowledge the issue especially when the latest balance update was in large part targeted specifically towards customs is baffling);
- even though I'm not sure I'll buy them, sell new sets of costumes for non-Mii characters, because DLC costumes being only for Miis doesn't feel right;
- no more third-party characters please (with one exception that will almost certainly not happen). Not that I hate third-parties, but prioritizing them for the ballot would make me feel like the focus of Smash Bros. would be lost.

If Smash DLC does everything above, I'll be fully satisfied with it.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wolf has like, three moves out of his entire moveset that are even similar to Fox. At this point he would be fresh: his feral fighting style is nowhere else on the roster.
I've actually heard people say that Charizard and Bowser are bigger "clones" of each other than Fox and Wolf, but yeah Wolf style would be really cool, and he might even be top tier in this game due to his play style.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As a Mother fan I just really, really want Smash Wii U to get Magicant, and upgrade it to glorious HD.

It would be so beautiful guys.

So...

Beautiful.

Hopefully the Duck Hunt stage coming to the 3DS version is a sign and we get some 3DS stages on the Wii U version. Along with Magicant I'd like to see Gerudo Valley as well.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
I've actually heard people say that Charizard and Bowser are bigger "clones" of each other than Fox and Wolf, but yeah Wolf style would be really cool, and he might even be top tier in this game due to his play style.
GameFAQS much?:smirk: I saw the same thing about Bowser and Charizard over there.
About Wolf, at first I didn't even think that he was a clone, but his similarities with Fox in physical attributes, like weight and height, and in some of his attacks make it for people to think they're too similar. Nevertheless, this could be said for a lot of characters, but Wolf's case stands out more. If he comes for DLC, I'd like if he was just a litle bit twicked, like changing the animations without changing the effects of some attacks, and, most definately, give him a new Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom