• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Inklings maybe new true. But they've done well, on Wii U, have a bunch of potential moveset to work with, and are characters. Masahiro Sakurai would probably enjoy working on. I do hope they get in. But with them just coming this year with Splatoon. I can see them not included we'll see.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My favorite series in gaming are basically those already firmly established in Smash. So am extremely upset that outside of Mario and Pokémon, all other major Nintendo franchises are basically shafted for anything that's "new", 3rd party, and Mii. Well, as a long time fan, I basically got the finger I felt...
Pokemon is the definition of a series that in Sm4sh got shafted by new, and the worst thing for it is that the near entirety of the Smash community just spits on these facts, like you just did.

C'mon man. I'm not sure why you feel think ****ting on what we already have somehow makes your point seem more valid, but it certainly does not. I grew up in the 90s as well, and the characters that appeal to that generation are Megaman and Ryu. I understand your point, but even *I* find that post to be more vulgar than your conclusion necessitates.

I love the roster though. The man put his heart and soul into this series. And if this is his last hurrah as one of my favourite developers I'm thankful to him for everything! Do I want K. Rool and Dixie Kong in? Heck yes. Will they get in? I don't know but there's always the future. It won't stop me for appreciating all the hard-work Masahiro Sakurai has done and be thankful for it all!
I have always found the best way to celebrate an artists work is to actually give it the criticism it deserves. Being a blind fan who is happy with anything given holds an artist to no standard and no consequence. Praising everything like a parent is useless, It makes the truly amazing things they create seem subpar.
It is by this notion I am more than happy to point out my *opinion* as to where Sakurai's shortcomings remain.
I also think I praise him more specifically than a lot of people tend toward, and especially in ways that are not necessarily praised, such as his ability to capture the mechanics of a universe within a specific character. The essence! I really wish more people honored this about him.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I just realized something, Cloud's reveal sparked interest in FF VII, which was available on PSN. Meaning that the other third-party characters would most likely be from games that are available to others, correct? So with that said, could someone give me a list of all the eligible third-party characters?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Kind of agree with the idea I've seen in this thread and elsewhere: I think any other newcomers we see bar Inkling will be third-party. The licensing is probably easier because there is likely a royalty on the amount of DLC sold. Not to mention the mindshare involved with being in Super Smash Bros.
Additionally, to anyone who believes we are only getting 3rd parties... or that we will not see a number of Nintendo newcomers...
I say, this is foolhardy.

Nintendo may allow for third parties in Smash, sure, but I cannot see a company that admits (through action) that their own remaining characters are less popular and 'less hype' than third parties. Nintendo adding no newcomers from the ballot is the equivalent of them stating that their characters are not worthy to be added via popularity poll.

No... no, that will not happen.
This is actually why I believe we will be finishing off this year's DLC with huge NINTENDO content. This may mean some veterans, but I truly believe Ridley still stands a chance, and that K Rool (likely the most voted Nintendo character) will be welcomed with open arms.
Captain Toad, Chibi Robo, contemporary Rhythm Heaven character, and Lip, are also big characters I am starting to up my ante on more and more.

This is the season of sales- expect Nintendo to try to make us buy *their games*.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm still expecting Wolf, Snake and K.Rool. I expect them for a number of reasons. All three of them make a ton of sense to add at this point.

Plus it creates a nice little split of two DLC packs, both with 4 characters in them. How convenient!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Anybody got a list of third-party characters I could use for reference?

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Has Rayman always been this popular? I remember back when I was just small boy and I put him next to characters like Cool Spot, Gex, Toejam and Earl, and Bubsy.... :troll: Ok kidding about that last one. Purely talking about the character himself not so much the games.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
One day, Ridley will get a good role in Smash
One Day......

I mean it's probably just a pipe dream...

But it's good to keep a little hope sometimes

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm probbally in the vast minority of this, but I wouldn't mind only getting 1 Nintendo Newcomer if it meant there are a few, really good 3rd party additions and any more Brawl Veterans.

Because I think all cut Brawl veterans deserve to be back, except the actual Poke-Trainer dude. **** Transformations.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Can we like, actually get a Nintendo newcomer already? Ryu and Cloud don't feel like they should belong in Smash Bros, especially Cloud.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still feel as though we're getting 2-3 more characters beyond Cloud (it all depends on whether that September slot is pre- or post-ballot). Of them, I'm positive one is the Inkling. Then, beyond that, I can see at least one of Wolf and K. Rool.

Then I think we're done (as much as I'd want Chrom or Henry Fleming :p ).

D

Deleted member

One day, Ridley will get a good role in Smash
One Day......

I mean it's probably just a pipe dream...

But it's good to keep a little hope sometimes
Don't ever give up. Ridley will one one day! And yeah K. Rool I see coming. and Wolf I can see returning. Snake too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Can we like, actually get a Nintendo newcomer already? Ryu and Cloud don't feel like they should belong in Smash Bros, especially Cloud.
Ryu and Cloud belong in Smash about as much as Marth and Duck Hunt do.

This is a crossover game.

Besides, the use of "should" and "feel" are subjective and perhaps slightly entitled.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Well obviously Nintendo themselves doesn't seem to care if they are Nintendo enough so why should we even care about THAT anymore? If they themselves are ok with these character choices, then why should we complain about them? Am I saying to overload it with third parties, absolutely not. Though Sakurai apparently wants this game to be the biggest Smash game the franchise ever had. He is putting in the some of the best gaming franchises that the industry ever seen. So why not have them in one game being represented while beating the crap out of each other. He wants this to be the most iconic Smash game.

Nintendo will always play a big and prominent role in Smash, but really, it starting to transcend from love all things Nintendo to just love of all video games in general. Besides third parties only can get so little 10-20% of content in the game, so its really not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Cannot wait for some more Pokemon content.

I think half the reason I desire it now is just to make the people in the Smash community rant incohesive and nonsensical fanboyisms against a pop cultural icon that changed everything.

In a lot of ways, I think we have third parties due to Pokemon. I somehow feel that TPC was something that Sakurai early on had to decide to work with, and that in doing so, he slowly opened up to third parties.
Pokemon is from a second party, and surely gave a lot of grief along the way. We see plenty of Nintendo promotions without Pokemon in it at all- its only when they 'call in the big guns,' that we get Superman, Batman, and Wonderw---- I mean Mario, Link, and Pikachu.

While I'm on another hated Pokemon rant, I'll state again: I expect a lot of characters in the next download, but even without, Snake has literally just as much for an against him as the Pokemon Squirtle and Ivysaur do.
So I put them in equivalent likelihoods.

Luckily for ME, this unpopular opinion on these boards is not influenced by all those who agree.
Luckily for all of you, my opinion holds no more merit. I just happen to think it utilizes key facts many choose to overlook beyond all belief, particularly in the key to what is the 'essence' of a series.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Cannot wait for some more Pokemon content.

I think half the reason I desire it now is just to make the people in the Smash community rant incohesive and nonsensical fanboyisms against a pop cultural icon that changed everything.

In a lot of ways, I think we have third parties due to Pokemon. I somehow feel that TPC was something that Sakurai early on had to decide to work with, and that in doing so, he slowly opened up to third parties.
Pokemon is from a second party, and surely gave a lot of grief along the way. We see plenty of Nintendo promotions without Pokemon in it at all- its only when they 'call in the big guns,' that we get Superman, Batman, and Wonderw---- I mean Mario, Link, and Pikachu.

While I'm on another hated Pokemon rant, I'll state again: I expect a lot of characters in the next download, but even without, Snake has literally just as much for an against him as the Pokemon Squirtle and Ivysaur do.
So I put them in equivalent likelihoods.
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have Ivysaur and Squirtle make a return... It seems he's really on-point with fan requests.

D

Deleted member

A question? Will we actually main the characters we want in? If they make it in? I mean of course I would main K. Rool for example he'd be fun to use, and I'd be happy he's in. And I would have a blast playing as him I'd think he'd be a trap based heavyweight character .

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have Ivysaur and Squirtle make a return... It seems he's really on-point with fan requests.
Pokemon sell, a LOT.
They are veterans who are more unique than any we have seen return sans Mewtwo.
He personally likes Squirtle, a good deal.
They are first party.
They may have data in from the initial game, pending when transformations were cut.
They are unexpected returns.
They are owned by first party.
They are exceptionally iconic (and I still argue, more ICONIC than Snake, by definition).

But what will happen will happen.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A question? Will we actually main the characters we want in? If they make it in? I mean of course I would main K. Rool for example he'd be fun to use, and I'd be happy he's in. And I would have a blast playing as him I'd think he'd be a trap based heavyweight character .
I wanted Robin... and I play as him.

I'd play most of the characters I want, even if they don't appeal to a competitive audience.

But then again, I'm the one guy who enjoyed Smash Tour, so what do I know? :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Yeah I hear ya. If any other Pokemons get in as unlikely as it is. I see Sceptile or Blaziken.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It depends on how they play.
I wanted Palutena in but I don't like her playstyle. Same with Mewtwo.
I wanted Lucina in and I very much enjoy playing as her. Same with Robin and Shulk.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Pokemon sell, a LOT.
They are veterans who are more unique than any we have seen return sans Mewtwo.
He personally likes Squirtle, a good deal.
They are first party.
They may have data in from the initial game, pending when transformations were cut.
They are unexpected returns.
They are own by first party.
They are exceptionally iconic (and I still argue, more ICONIC than Snake, by definition).

But what will happen will happen.
I'd go as far to say they're highly likely... but I don't know what's going on anymore with :4cloud: making an appearance.

Time will tell.

D

Deleted member

This awnser's my question. We may want the character in but it dosen't mean we'd main them. Still happy that their in of course.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It just depends on how they play, even if they don't mesh well with me I'll still enjoy their presence and try to play them at the very least

D

Deleted member

Yup, that as well even if we don't like how they play we give them a shot at least.

I agree with the Nintendo newcomer part. I really hope we get one or two in December. I'd be disappointed if we got only third-parties and veterans.

I don't mind Cloud and Ryu in Smash, although I somewhat wish they were the last third-parties for DLC (I wouldn't mind Snake or Bomberman, but I'd rather take some Nintendo newcomers).

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
[4 character prediction]

Cloud Strife
:4cloud:

Wolf
:wolf:

Inkling
=

King K. Rool

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Wolf: Yeah, I prefer his playstyle compared to the other Star Fox characters. He might not be my main but I'll probably use him a lot, maybe even replace Greninja, my secondary.

Sceptile: That really depends. If he is a fast, rush down character like Sheik and Fox, I will definitely main him. Probably being a rival to my current main Sonic.
If he's not like that, I'll probably just pick him up and use him sometimes, like Mewtwo and Zero Suit Samus.
I'll still enjoy his presence in the game though. I've been wanting him for years.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
They are? Is that on Smashboards or in general?

I would be excited to see them again, but I feel Wolf and Snake (and ICs) are leaps and bounds ahead of them in popularity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They are? Is that on Smashboards or in general?

I would be excited to see them again, but I feel Wolf and Snake (and ICs) are leaps and bounds ahead of them in popularity.
Most people seem to have the fanmade rule '1 DLC per franchise' so they didn't bother asking for Squirtle or Ivysaur because of Mewtwo iirc. Shame really, would love to see both of them back

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
We don't really know how the limitations on the 3DS works really.....so we can't say that neither. Why speculate on that when that may not even be the reason as to why they may not make it. We know nothing behind the scenes of what happens in development, we don't work on the game, just say we don't know why they may not make Smash as DLC, because no knows anything at this point.

The reason I THINK Inklings aren't coming to Sm4sh.
I THINK.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
What if smash let you play as villains from your favorite Nintendo games since you normally are fighting them instead of playing as them, wouldn't that be crazy. Nah it's a stupid idea I know..
Ahem
:4bowser::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::4dedede:
:4darkpit::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4wario2:(Debatable)

I know you're being sarcastic but I feel like this is worth mentioning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know I think the 3DS and Wii U can handle Inklings but that's just me. I think their a strong possibility, Splatoon's popularity, fun characters to use. Them having access to the Solatershots and Splat rollers. I could see them getting in but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom