• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Who knows when the team decided to pick the winners of the ballot? It was obviously before the end of the ballot. However, there is now alot of information on Nintendo character popularity.

I do think we will see King K. Rool appear in the next DK video game and then, Smash 5. Star Fox might get another character, after its new game. And perhaps even Zelda.

But the ballot functioned primarily as data compilation for Smash 5, and to determine the most popular 3rd party characters to make money with downloads.

The FE character was a marketing gimmick. No one could have feasibly placed the character's name on the ballot. I love the character design. But Sakurai said that the next wave of characters would be purely fan service (which of course, can be interpreted in many different ways) and the new FE character does not fit that description.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Hell, DK fans are better off than the Metroid fans in this instance. They at least have two distinct characters to their name. All we have is Samus with and without Power Armor. :/
At least Donkey Kong never had his character assassinated like Samus did, unless you count the horrifying cartoon.

DK as a series, though largely weighted in the SNES, is still a series that brought more success than even :4kirby:.
A lot of gripe you'll see for Fire Emblem characters specifically is that, for a series niche enough to almost die, the fact we went from two, planned third for Brawl to 6 in Smash 4 is too much expansion at once for a series at its size.
Well, only really one was added, Robin. Roy came back entirely as a Smash Bros. character who just happened to originate from Fire Emblem, and Lucina is barely more than a reskin.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And people are still ignoring the obvious:

It's not just Donkey Kong fans who were ignored
I think most fans of long-running, popular Nintendo series feel dissapointed. I mean, yes Donkey Kong Country is seriously and over-obviously underrepresented, and it's one of the most huge eyesores of the roster. Yet, Zelda also hasn't received a newcomer since the "Ocarina of Time massive dump" which was Melee (Young Link -> Toon Link doesn't really count). Kirby also could've easily gotten at least Bandana Dee, Metroid never got Ridley, and Star Fox got robbed from their villain Wolf.

In order: :dk64::link64::kirby64::samus64::fox64:, that's already more than 1/4th of Smash Bros. 64's playable roster. Then there's the obvious fact that Yoshi's Island and F-Zero where never getting anything else but :yoshi64: and :falcon64:. We can argue MOTHER also got it bad, with Lucas being 'lucky' to be brought back, so include :ness64: as well.

Now what exactly do we have left? :mario64::luigi64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:. Mario and Pokémon.

NO NOTHING WRONG HERE! Please continue discussing :4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin: all you want. Don't forget to be overjoyed either!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In all honesty, Bayonetta would stay. Corrin i think should have waited for the next game. Wolf would have definitely been a better choice for now (and Snake, but Konami will forever hold him hostage with a nuke the head).
I think Corrin was a make or break character. With the explosion of popularity the series has had in recent years, there's no doubt that there will be several more new games by the time the next Smash comes around. If DLC was in Brawl, I could argue that the equivalent would have been adding Micaiah back then. This being said, I will be genuinely surprised if Corrin comes back in the next game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Anyone curious how Corrin and Bayonetta placed in the Individual Character polls?

Bayonetta ranked 27 which is still pretty despite being controversial.

Corrin ranked 116, and obviously he wasn't well received in the poll just as his official reveal.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Anyways, since Waddle/Bandana Dee is confirmed to not be a character now, I feel like this needs to be asked. Can anyone think of any, and I do mean ANY justifiable reason that Bandana Waddle Dee or Waddle Dee does not have a single trophy? Maybe I'm in denial, but, it's really suspicious, isn't it? Maybe there is a NX version being planned? Parasol Dee does have a trophy in the 3ds version but Waddle Dee doesn't have any anywhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hell, DK fans are better off than the Metroid fans in this instance. They at least have two distinct characters to their name. All we have is Samus with and without Power Armor. :/
And even then Metroid fans have it better than, say, Golden Sun fans, who saw their lone AT removed from the game and basically lost all representation.

Though this may eventually degrade into a whizzing contest (pardon my vulgarity), I merely wanted to reinforce my personal frustration.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think we all can agree which franchise got the biggest shaft...

...(RIP Wolf)...

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If Dante truly was top 5, then he probably wasn't a feasible character. They also specified top 5 in Europe: Perhaps she has a particularly large following in Europe. As for Splatoon, perhaps they didn't see it as the right time, maybe something was going on within Nintendo, obviously we don't know. The presentation said she was top 5 in Europe; she was simply the most feasible, interesting, and relevant character they could come up with from whoever the top 5 are. We don't know what that means, but to assume Sakurai deliberately decided, on his own, with no others factors, not to put characters in purely out of spite is ridiculous.

Also, the ballot was easy to vote on. Consider that quite a few people who voted on the ballot not only don't post on the internet, but don't even have a Wii U. But maybe they played Bayonetta on another system, or plan to buy the game and the Wii U eventually, and figure "sure, why not?" Obviously speculation, but you need to think outside of the Smashboards echo chamber.

Bayonetta only needed to be presentable in a controlled environment. For all we know, her rig turns into jelly when she crouches for too long, she crashes the game if she attacks Peach, or any other manner of horrifying bugs.

I don't know how the video game industry is in Japan today, but horrible hours certainly is an issue in the U.S. industry, so at least that's not out of the question.
Actually, 1st in EU & Top 5 US.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I think Corrin was a make or break character. With the explosion of popularity the series has had in recent years, there's no doubt that there will be several more new games by the time the next Smash comes around. If DLC was in Brawl, I could argue that the equivalent would have been adding Micaiah back then. This being said, I will be genuinely surprised if Corrin comes back in the next game.
The "popularity" of Fire Emblem is becoming one of the most grossly over-exaggerated topics in the entire industry. There was no "explosion", all it did was go from "dying" to "niche"

Prepare to be "surprised" when the Sakurai directs the next Smash Bros., and keep all six Fire Emblem characters either in the base game or DLC, while cutting Falco, Mewtwo, Lucas, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Greninja, Bower Jr, the three Retro characters, Shiek, Ganon, etc etc and then adding two new Fire Emblem lords, a Kid Icarus character and a Palutena clone

Actually, 1st in EU & Top 5 US.
Which I don't buy for a minute is true, Sakurai could say anything he wants

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
In all honesty, Bayonetta would stay. Corrin i think should have waited for the next game. Wolf would have definitely been a better choice for now (and Snake, but Konami will forever hold him hostage with a nuke the head).
I don't think Corrin would have appeared in the next game. Like Sakurai said in the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary book, had Awakening been released six months earlier or latter, those characters would likely not be appearing in this entry of Super Smash Bros, the same would be said of Corrin, she would have been left out of the series, unless used as an Assist Trophy like Lyn, since her game would no longer have been relevant.

Also worth pointing out, I think Snake was in the Top 5 for North America, particularly since it said 'out of negotiable characters' and with the crapstorm that is Konami and the stuff between them and Kojima, it seems likely that negotiations were right out.
The FE character was a marketing gimmick. No one could have feasibly placed the character's name on the ballot. I love the character design. But Sakurai said that the next wave of characters would be purely fan service (which of course, can be interpreted in many different ways) and the new FE character does not fit that description.
Similarly to Robin, Nintendo's official videos showcased an 'official' name for Corrin in the Japanese videos. Fans have been referring to Corrin by the Japanese name of Kamui since they were first shown..so it seems likely they would have put down that name or just put 'Avatar' or 'Player Character' with the game title as 'Fire Emblem if' or 'Fire Emblem Fates' depending on Territory, mostly Japan since the game has been out there for months now and is the highest selling Fire Emblem they've ever had.
They may not have been super high in the ballot, but they were likely still on it and a good, feasible Nintendo Newcomer.

The "popularity" of Fire Emblem is becoming one of the most grossly over-exaggerated topics in the entire industry. There was no "explosion", all it did was go from "dying" to "niche"

Prepare to be "surprised" when the Sakurai directs the next Smash Bros., and keep all six Fire Emblem characters either in the base game or DLC, while cutting Falco, Mewtwo, Lucas, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Greninja, Bower Jr, the three Retro characters, Shiek, Ganon, etc etc and then adding two new Fire Emblem lords, a Kid Icarus character and a Palutena clone
Not really. It is a very popular series in Japan and likely one of the most popular Nintendo 2nd Party series in the West (clearly Pokémon would be the most popular one).
Its far from 'niche' but not quite 'mainstream'. Its somewhere in the middle.

Now who's over-exaggerating a topic?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually, it went from niche to a million seller. Like you said, the franchise was pretty much on the cusp of being ended until Awakening blew away sales expectations and Fates is continuing that trend. Between the Wii and the Wii U, Fire Emblem definitely had the biggest jump of any Nintendo franchise.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Not really. It is a very popular series in Japan and likely one of the most popular Nintendo 2nd Party series in the West (clearly Pokémon would be the most popular one).
Its far from 'niche' but not quite 'mainstream'. Its somewhere in the middle.

Now who's over-exaggerating a topic?
You still are. You are using a straw man in order to make Fire Emblem appear more popular. Second most popular "second party" game? What's it's competition? Pokemon? Come on. Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, literally almost every series in Smash Bros. is more popular and bigger commercial successes than Fire Emblem. Are you even taking commercial success into account? The series was dying, on the brink of getting discontinued. It went from dying to niche. Donkey Kong Country Returns alone sold more than the whole series. You are legit just wrong

Actually, it went from niche to a million seller. Like you said, the franchise was pretty much on the cusp of being ended until Awakening blew away sales expectations and Fates is continuing that trend. Between the Wii and the Wii U, Fire Emblem definitely had the biggest jump of any Nintendo franchise.
Selling a million units is easy. Selling a million doesn't mean it's any less niche. Persona is a niche franchise that sells better. It went from dying to niche. Consider that Donkey Kong Country Returns was a reboot of a 20 year old game that still lit up the charts

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I do have to admit, I hope that Bayonetta appearing in Super Smash Bros, even as just DLC, will get Bayonetta 2 selling like crazy so that a Bayonetta 3 can be announced and developed..the game is extremely fun.
Yup, that's for sure...there's a reason I wasn't able to pre-order the Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition until it popped back up on GameStop's website..I'm glad that text came before work since it was sold out again in under 2 Hours (I got a text from 'NowInStock.net' about it being back up at 10:23am and pre-ordered as soon as possible..checked the site again after work and it was sold out again by 12:05pm)

Speaking of, I do find it wonderfully ironic that I managed to pre-order the Special Edition version of the game Corrin's from just hours before he was revealed to be playable in Super Smash Bros. as DLC.

You still are. You are using a straw man in order to make Fire Emblem appear more popular. Second most popular "second party" game? What's it's competition? Pokemon? Come on. Kirby, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, literally almost every series in Smash Bros. is more popular and bigger commercial successes than Fire Emblem. Are you even taking commercial success into account? The series was dying, on the brink of getting discontinued. It went from dying to niche. Donkey Kong Country Returns alone sold more than the whole series. You are legit just wrong

Selling a million units is easy. Selling a million doesn't mean it's any less niche. Persona is a niche franchise that sells better. It went from dying to niche. Consider that Donkey Kong Country Returns was a reboot of a 20 year old game that still lit up the charts
You're doing the same, yet opposite, thing to make it sound like the Fire Emblem series isn't popular. In other words, what you're doing is being a hypocrite.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Fire Emblem is a bigger success then Pikmin is, at the very least it is now..I don't believe that game series is all that popular and part of it sticking around so much is due to being Miyamoto's baby. I don't feel like going around looking for proof of this, its just the feeling I get.

Donkey Kong has also been a household name since the 1980s..kinda unfair competition you set up there.

Regardless, the Fire Emblem series is a popular series amongst the Nintendo fanbase, in other words, the fanbase that Super Smash Bros. was particularly set up as a love letter to, so that should say enough right there.

Going from a series on the brink of death to a million seller is still quite the feat, regardless of how much you want to downplay it..even some games with recognizable characters like Mickey Mouse or the Avengers can't always muster up that level of sales.

I am willing to bet though that if the original Fire Emblem on the NES would have been brought over that it would have enjoyed a similar success to that of The Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy did in the West.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To me, Fire Emblem gained popularity by adding a casual mode for gamers who are afraid of making mistakes (which I liked), and becoming a waifu generating machine (which I didn't like).

I'm not trying to downplay Fire Emblem, but again, if somebody is frustrated and has an opinion, let them vent as long as they aren't being disrespectful.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think you underestimate just how much a million is sales wise or what a big deal it is for developers when it happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

The total is currently at 36 with 8 being Mario games, 3 being Zelda, 2 being Pokemon, 2 being Animal Crossing, 4 being Yokai Watch, and 4 being Monster Hunter, leaving 13 that are their lone representatives on the list that include titans such as Kirby, Donkey Kong, and, of course, Smash.

Last edited:

Zeeloid

Smash Rookie
I understand the disappointment ya'll are feeling :( i voted for banjo and felt a glimmer a hope when Microsoft seemed open to the prospect :'(. I still feel the roster is in the spirit of smash despite that let down. Smash has been there to give life to ailing and upcoming franchises. Fire emblem is where it is now thanks to the melee days, so I'm not surprised it's getting it's day in the sun. Cloud and bayonetta are a simultaneous shout out to the past and future. The cloud link dynamic was huge back in the day; whereas bayonetta is a new franchise Nintendo wants to support (not to mention the word feasible was used so I'm assuming the dev team is tiiiiired). We got way back playbacks with duck hunt and little mac (once again revamping a franchise). If bayonetta is undeserving of her spot then so is shulk (both are at the beginning of a new Nintendo era of games). We got our long awaited returns (Roy, and mewtwo) plus to show that they do listen Lucas was resurrected. This game honestly has so much content (which was listed at the end of the last smash video on purpose since sakurai new not everyone will be happy) that even if not everything we ever wanted is in it, it's still a grande undertaking that has been done. So after the disappointment wears off I hope that u can still play this game and enjoy it for what it is :D

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Fire Emblem fan, and Corrin is cool (besides the godawful name, sounds like corn), I just... didn't really want to see another Fire Emblem character. I feel it should have been one DLC character per franchise, to appeal to the largest audience. Yes, that would have put my Beloved Krystal out of the running, because Wolf takes priority over her.

I don't know anymore... I didn't want to see Wolf because I wanted to be surprised, I was surprised and now.. I just want Wolf
Cmon, bring back Wolf the badass villain of Starfox, we need more villains.

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
Characters aside, I'm just sad that Konami probably prevented any content from Metal Gear or Castlevania to be included in this generation's version of Smash. Painful to see two of my favorite franchises being totally excluded from Smash, seeing as they are very iconic.

Luckily Kojima has struck a deal with Sony and is now working for them :love:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I'm slowly starting to understand why people are complaining about representation now. While I do feel that representation isn't completely important, I still feel that it is in some way.

The way representation has been handled in the last DLC has been quite poor, IMO. I was expecting more Nintendo characters, because outside of the initial roster, we haven't gotten much. I'm all for a new FE character, but I wish Corrin wasn't the only new Nintendo newcomer we had. I wish we had gotten Isaac, a DK character, the Inklings, or maybe even another Pokemon, Zelda or Mario character. I'm finally starting to see why people are upset with representation. I think it would have been better if we had more than one ballot winner. From the ballot, we should have gotten one new 3rd party and two new Nintendo newcomers. The frustration would have been less apparent, and the representation would have gone much more smoothly. I think it was unfair that Nintendo characters like Wolf and KKR had to compete with a third party character. Third party characters are ultimately going to be more popular. I mean, Smash thrives off of crazy, unexpected cross over characters.

Also, I'm starting to notice that characters in Smash are mostly added out of relevance. There are a few oddballs here and there, like Shulk, Pit and Mr. Game and Watch, but I think they were added either for mostly old-time's sake, or because they were a popular niche choice. I feel that adding characters based on relevance is a bit unfair. Sure, it makes character selection a lot less overwhelming, but it prevents seeing the potential that older characters may bring. Before one mentions Ness and Captain Falcon, keep in mind that they were added from the very first game in the series; they had no one to compete with.

In short, Bayonetta and Corrin were amazing inclusions, but I think other Nintendo franchises got the short stick on this one. The anger is well-justified in this case, I mean Smash is ultimately a Nintendo game after all. Third parties and "overrepped" franchise characters are fine, but there are other Nintendo franchises to add as well.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
oh boy.

I can't wait to read the next column Sakurai writes about the characters & hopefully we get even more insight on the results, especially in :4bayonetta:'s case.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hello guys. I've come here to pour some salt of mine over you.

My thoughts:

-Cloud: Meh. I didn't even know who he was and I still don't understand why in the world he was added. His stage looks cool, though.

-Bayonetta: Never played the game, only the demo available on the eShop and didn't really catch me, but I wouldn't call it a bad game at all. Just not my style. I understand her addition (even though I think that her winning the ballot is pure and absolute bull****) and she looks like an awesome fighter. Her voice acting is beautiful and her stage looks really cool as well. I'm ok with her.

-Corrin is the one that made me the saltiest. First of all, ANOTHER goddamn Fire Emblem character?! Why in the world is Sakurai so obsessed with overrepresenting that saga? Having more reps than DONKEY FREAKING KONG and STAR FREAKING FOX? Come on!!!! We did NOT need another anime sword-wielding character with a counter, let alone another Fire Emblem character!!! I hate his addition and it makes me really mad. I'm not going to buy him, and it bothers me that he's in the game. If they really needed to add him they sould have waited for the next Smash game.

All in all, I would have picked other first-party characters to include over Cloud and Bayonetta, and would have not included Corrin at all. I want to think that the ballot was also used to decide the newcomers for Smash 5 (which is obviously coming sometime) and that's when we'll all be happy. I feel awfully sorry for Wolf fans because it's not fair that most previously-cut characters returned but not him, being so easy to bring back and especially with Star Fox Zero approaching us. It is a huge letdown and a golden opportunity we'll sadly miss.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Yup, that's for sure...there's a reason I wasn't able to pre-order the Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition until it popped back up on GameStop's website..I'm glad that text came before work since it was sold out again in under 2 Hours (I got a text from 'NowInStock.net' about it being back up at 10:23am and pre-ordered as soon as possible..checked the site again after work and it was sold out again by 12:05pm)

Speaking of, I do find it wonderfully ironic that I managed to pre-order the Special Edition version of the game Corrin's from just hours before he was revealed to be playable in Super Smash Bros. as DLC.
The reason for that is Nintendo themselves know that the demand is low

You're doing the same, yet opposite, thing to make it sound like the Fire Emblem series isn't popular. In other words, what you're doing is being a hypocrite.
No, I'm not. What you are saying right now is "I'm rubber you're glue". I have numbers backing up my claim, I have commercial success backing up my claim. Fire Emblem just recently became "niche popular" while other series have been popular for years and their fans are getting slapped in the face

Also, I'm fairly sure that Fire Emblem is a bigger success then Pikmin is, at the very least it is now..I don't believe that game series is all that popular and part of it sticking around so much is due to being Miyamoto's baby. I don't feel like going around looking for proof of this, its just the feeling I get.
Wrong again, the Pikmin series has less titles released, is 10 years younger than Fire Emblem and already has over 5 million in sales. The Fire Emblem series recently just passed the 7 million mark, and that was due to Awakening. You are still the one over-exaggerating... and I notice there is a lot of "I feel" in your arguments meaning you are using your own opinion as proof

Donkey Kong has also been a household name since the 1980s..kinda unfair competition you set up there.
I think this means people like Donkey Kong more than Fire Emblem, thank you for reminding everyone

Regardless, the Fire Emblem series is a popular series amongst the Nintendo fanbase, in other words, the fanbase that Super Smash Bros. was particularly set up as a love letter to, so that should say enough right there.
You know what other series is popular among the Nintendo fanbase? Donkey Kong... Metroid... Star Fox... Golden Sun... Custom Robo... Animal Crossing... Earthbound... any series besides Fire Emblem could have used another newcomer in order to make this a "better love letter", but I guess there isn't enough love for those fans!

Going from a series on the brink of death to a million seller is still quite the feat, regardless of how much you want to downplay it..even some games with recognizable characters like Mickey Mouse or the Avengers can't always muster up that level of sales.
This is debatable, and as a long time Fire Emblem fan, they sold out. That's just my opinion. They did what they had to in order to sell their product, and if that means trying to appeal to a certain crowd...

I am willing to bet though that if the original Fire Emblem on the NES would have been brought over that it would have enjoyed a similar success to that of The Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy did in the West.
This is just more of the "I feel" proof that really doesn't prove anything

I think you underestimate just how much a million is sales wise or what a big deal it is for developers when it happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

The total is currently at 36 with 8 being Mario games, 3 being Zelda, 2 being Pokemon, 2 being Animal Crossing, 4 being Yokai Watch, and 4 being Monster Hunter, leaving 13 that are their lone representatives on the list that include titans such as Kirby, Donkey Kong, and, of course, Smash.
It certainly is an accomplishment, but a million in sales doesn't mean what it used to. It was impressive in the nineties and early 2000's, but with the expansion of the industry into new markets and the current trend of macroeconomics, it isn't impressive anymore. Donkey Kong Dountry Returns 3D, which was a mere port of the Wii game, sold the same amount of units as Awakening, an original game. Kirby Super Star Ultra, which was a remake of an SNES game, sold twice as much. How people are trying to defend Fire Emblem is beyond me

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The one thing that bothers me about Corrin' design is the counter.

I read the Sakurai interview on Fire Emblem characters in Smash. I understand that the counter represents the turn-based combat system in the games. The counters make sense on Marth (strategy based) and his semi-clones that focus on different part of the swords for different play styles. And I can accept a counter on Ike (although more variation in counters, other than multipliers and frames would be nice) because he is also, a lord.

However, both avatars should be able to ditch the pattern. Robin does not have a counter.
Corrin would seem ultimately more flavorful for me if he/she also did not have a counter.

A dragon/hybrid and you slap a counter on it? Boring.

Last edited:

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
I'm astonished that people are salty about any of this. Everyone should be grateful that we got seven additional characters that didn't have to happen, at all.

:4bayonetta::4corrin::4cloud::4ryu::4feroy::4lucas::4mewtwo:

Yo look at this spread. There's likely someone in here for everyone. And if not, go play some of these games, because you've been missing out on a lot of video game history. Even when Sakurai does a poll, the most fair process to include a character with the broadest appeal, people still get mad that their character didn't win. If people would stop setting their expectations so incredibly high, then they wouldn't be so let down.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I'm astonished that people are salty about any of this. Everyone should be grateful that we got seven additional characters that didn't have to happen, at all.

Yo look at this spread. There's likely someone in here for everyone. And if not, go play some of these games, because you've been missing out on a lot of video game history. Even when Sakurai does a poll, the most fair process to include a character with the broadest appeal, people still get mad that their character didn't win. If people would stop setting their expectations so incredibly high, then they wouldn't be so let down.
If he wanted to go for the broadest appeal, he shouldn't have picked two FE characters

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

I'm happy with these characters (I'd be happy with a lot of characters tbh) but you can't say we should be grateful for getting seven additional characters. Granted I don't think people should be getting super ****ing salty claiming so-and-so character deserved this spot, or why this character I've never heard of. But it's not like Sakurai is doing this out of the goodness of his heart. He designed the game and felt these characters would be worthwhile additions to the series regardless whether or not the fans agreed.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Here's a good question. Did people complain about a series certain amount of representation back in Brawl's time of speculation? I can't even remember. When did getting the best amount of reps become a thing? This was something that bothered me even back when the roster first got revealed. When did representation of a certain series all of a suudden mattered or became a thing for Smash?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Here's a good question. Did people complain about a series certain amount of representation back in Brawl's time of speculation? I can't even remember. When did getting the best amount of reps become a thing? This was something that bothered me even back when the roster first got revealed. When did representation of a certain series all of a suudden mattered or became a thing for Smash?
Because people said so

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Those choices are awesome, I admit, but if Sakurai wanted to please everyone as much as possible, he should have added more Nintendo newcomers as DLC. Smash is a Nintendo game, and while FE characters and Third parties are great, Nintendo has other franchises to pick from. The ballot was unfair in the sense that Nintendo newcomers had to compete with a third party character. Third party characters are obviously more popular, so franchises like DK and Zelda missed out because none of their characters had as much popularity.

I agree that we should turn down the salt a little. It's fair to be disappointed, but we should still look at some of the positives. For one, none of these DLC characters are clones, and they do look incredibly fun to play. At the same time though, we should show our disappointment, albeit in a respectful manner, IMO. It's perfectly fine to criticize things too. It's a healthy way to view something you like.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Those choices are awesome, I admit, but if Sakurai wanted to please everyone as much as possible, he should have added more Nintendo newcomers as DLC. Smash is a Nintendo game, and while FE characters and Third parties are great, Nintendo has other franchises to pick from. The ballot was unfair in the sense that Nintendo newcomers had to compete with a third party character. Third party characters are obviously more popular, so franchises like DK and Zelda missed out because none of their characters had as much popularity.
So in other words, the third party characters would please more people?

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
So in other words, the third party characters would please more people?
True, it would. I guess I'm talking more about pleasing Nintendo fans and not fans of Smash in general.

Really, I'm okay with the new DLC, but it would have been nice if we had gotten more Nintendo newcomers. Oh well. It is what it is. :p

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
True, it would. I guess I'm talking more about pleasing Nintendo fans and not fans of Smash in general.

Really, I'm okay with the new DLC, but it would have been nice if we had gotten more Nintendo newcomers. Oh well. It is what it is. :p
This is assuming they're Nintendo fans and solely Nintendo fans, which in that case is a very small minority and still doesn't please a broad range of people.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157

I'm really happy with Mewtwo, I'm also ok with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. But the last 3 DLC characters nope!
I will be a little accepting of Cloud and bayonetta. But not for Corrin, I'm sorry but we really didn't need another FE rep.

Zeeloid

Smash Rookie
The entire roster is Nintendo to begin with, now is the best time for additional video game characters of history. Also I think Roy should be viewed more as a returning smash fighter rather than a FE newcomer.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx

I agree that we should turn down the salt a little. It's fair to be disappointed, but we should still look at some of the positives. For one, none of these DLC characters are clones, and they do look incredibly fun to play. At the same time though, we should show our disappointment, albeit in a respectful manner, IMO. It's perfectly fine to criticize things too. It's a healthy way to view something you like.
Definitely not criticizing folks who are just a little bummed their character didn't get in. I was personally pulling for banjo, so I know the feel.

But I saw a dude a few pages back who threw a fit because his character didn't get in, and he doesn't even own the game. That's a whole nother level of entitlement that I wasn't even aware existed.

Basically, there's no way Sakurai could "win em all", but he did a damn good job of trying to.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Dark Pit is gonna be one of my secondaries now. If I gotta play as a salt-infused character, I'll pick the one with the least development time spend on. This way, I won't feel robbed of something I wanted instead. I also guess the edginess suits my dissapointment, personality and levels of sodium in my blood. :4darkpit:
Yeah... People are going to hate him after the patch since side B kills below 100% now. Gotta spread that salt around. :p

Not necessarily aimed at you or anybody specific, but as somebody who's been playing Zelda since before I could even read and even have SS as my favorite 3D Zelda, I don't get why people wanted Impa in Smash. Really, she's only had the one significant role in the entire Zelda series. She's a reoccurring character, yes, but with little to no plot relevance, frequently gets replaced or otherwise left out entirely, and isn't even a common sight outside of cutscenes like Toad and Waddle Dees are. I mean, Tingle objectively makes more sense since he's had his own games and only became a frequent sight because people cared about him so much. Impa just kept coming back because they kept needing a nanny/guardian for Zelda. She's pretty lacking in the moveset department as well, showing no unique abilities in even HW and after Shiek and Ike there wasn't any good roles to fill either.

Literally the only reason I can think of why people want her in Smash besides her role in SS (and even then Groose was much more popular) is just so they can say Zelda has six characters.

This is assuming they're Nintendo fans and solely Nintendo fans, which in that case is a very small minority and still doesn't please a broad range of people.
More about getting people into Smash IMO. You buy a 3DS for Bravely Default and Dragon Quest? Here, Cloud is playable in Super Smash Bros. That's a 50$ purchase that wouldn't of existed without Cloud. Or if you're a Street Fighter fan and now that weekly Smash tournament looks a lot more interesting with Ryu, which could eventually lead to a 300$ or more purchase.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Definitely not criticizing folks who are just a little bummed their character didn't get in. I was personally pulling for banjo, so I know the feel.

But I saw a dude a few pages back who threw a fit because his character didn't get in, and he doesn't even own the game. That's a whole nother level of entitlement that I wasn't even aware existed.

Basically, there's no way Sakurai could "win em all", but he did a damn good job of trying to.
Oh yeah. None of my wanted characters got in either, lol. Then again, they're so obscure that I didn't expect them to anyway.

Yeah. I understand why he's disappointed, but I think you shouldn't get into a fit just because your character didn't get in. No character is guaranteed, after all.

He did. He could have done better in the Nintendo character department, but ultimately, he is human. He makes mistakes just like everyone else. I'm dying to read an interview as to why he added the characters he did. I want to know more about why and how he adds certain characters to Smash. We won't know every reason why he'd add certain characters to Smash, but some clarification would be nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom