• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
This is assuming they're Nintendo fans and solely Nintendo fans, which in that case is a very small minority and still doesn't please a broad range of people.
But I don't think that non-Nintendo fans would be interested enough in Smash to buy DLC. Non-Nintendo fans usually buy Smash, play it for an hour and move on to the next game. I'm talking under experience here; I actually do not know a single person in real life who owns a Wii U and Smash, aside from hardcore gamers; specifically Nintendo fans. That's just me though. I live in a small town, so it's hard for me to gauge such things. *shrug*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You're comparing Fire Emblem to Kirby and Donkey Kong, which I already said, are giants in the industry. Given that Awakening matched the sales of cash grab remakes of best selling games, this is actually impressive for an original game. Is Splatoon hitting a million not impressive either because it's not hit the level of Super Mario 3D World? You said it yourself, it was a franchise that was about to be canned before they struck gold. It's not really defending Fire Emblem as much as acknowledging that it's turn around was actually kind of impressive, especially when you consider that Fire Emblem (the first international GBA game with a ton of buzz behind it thanks to Melee) didn't even hit 700,000 and all but one of the installments before that didn't even hit half a million. Four characters in the main game, two DLC characters: one being one of the most popular cut veterans and the other being an advertisement for Fates outside Japan. This all considered, not that bad.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I'll never understand the argument that we should be satisfied with what we got. I mean really. Especially with how hypocritical some people can be. I bet the people saying this would be extremely salty if Scorpion and Steve were the final characters revealed. Just because you're satisfied with the DLC doesn't mean that others should be as well.

That's not even taking into account that the DLC honestly wasn't all that fantastic (IMO). We got three veterans and two them were basically just given HD models. Plus, why was Lucas even cut? There was literally no reason for this to happen. It feels like a cop out that I have to spend money of this character.

A majority of the stages we got were just ports from previous games. The worst offenders (IMO) are the 64 stages. I mean really... Even Project M can do that (and they arguably did so in a better way).

Mii costumes are still pretty worth less. Not only that, but they feel more daunting than anything. Viridi, Lloyd, Inkling, King K. Rool, etc... They play nothing like they should.

Tournament mode was a train wreck and that's all I'm going to say there...

The only content I actually enjoyed were the inclusion of Ryu, Cloud, and the new stages that came with them (including Mario Maker). The rest felt kind of, "meh."

I'm still indifferent on Corrin and Bayonetta. They look fun, but that's about it (at least for me). I think I actually have more gripes with Bayonetta more than anything, but whatever.

Also, I hope you guys realize that Sakurai called Smash a...

"COMPETITIVE ACTON GAME"

Um... Okay...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
But I don't think that non-Nintendo fans would be interested enough in Smash to buy DLC. Non-Nintendo fans usually buy Smash, play it for an hour and move on to the next game. I'm talking under experience here; I actually do not know a single person in real life who owns a Wii U and Smash, aside from hardcore gamers; specifically Nintendo fans. That's just me though. I live in a small town, so it's hard for me to gauge such things. *shrug*
Wanna meet your first one?

It gets people interested and getting people interested is the first step into making them Smash fans. Got a friend who's dying to play Cloud when I get back home. Maybe he won't buy a Wii U and Smash, but someone else may.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, one of the things that irk me most for :4corrin:just in the scope of FE characters is that he... really isn't significant on par of the others, barring :4lucina:, who have been added so far.

:4marth: face of the franchise. At the time of his inclusion, first protagonist to span multiple games as well as getting a small animated series to detail his journey.
:4feroy: added for advertising, but was the first Rebirth of the series, taking the significant shift to the handheld market and after the lead designer left. Also, arguably, or Fire Emblem going international. And I still find him mediocre at best.
:4myfriends: the only other lord than The Hero King to star in more than one game and a massive fan favorite.
:4robinm::4robinf:: Technically encompassing the player-insertion of things such as the tactician of FE7 and My Unit concept started in FE12 and duotagonist for the single biggest game of the series and console it was on.
In comparison:4corrin:Fates offers the multiple route system, which I don't believe we've seen through to judge its effective in comparison to, say, Shin Megami Tensei which is fairly known for the Law Chaos and Neutral storylines

Last edited:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Here's a good question. Did people complain about a series certain amount of representation back in Brawl's time of speculation? I can't even remember. When did getting the best amount of reps become a thing? This was something that bothered me even back when the roster first got revealed. When did representation of a certain series all of a suudden mattered or became a thing for Smash?
I don't know if they complained about series representatives but they complained about the characters themselves. Lucas and wolf were actually some of the most complained about characters at brawls release.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Wolf and ROB, at least.
I never really hard issues with Lucas.
I remember looking at forums and saw alot of salt for lucas as well. Maybe it was just the one I was looking at. Either way this happens all the time when we find out were not getting anymore characters. A character is always going to get hate because it wasn't the one someone wanted. These characters will most likely be liked by the next game in the series.

Last edited:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I remember looking at forums and saw alot of salt for lucas as well. Maybe it was just the one I was looking at. Either way this happens all the time when we find out were not getting anymore characters. A character is always going to get hate because it wasn't the one someone wanted. These characters will be liked by the next game in the series.
I distinctly remember hate for Wolf and Lucas during the Brawl era, but then as soon as they weren't in the base game for Smash 4 suddenly there was an outcry for them to return and how the roster wasn't complete without them.

Honestly, it happens with all the veterans. No one liked Mewtwo or Roy in Melee, but as soon as they were gone suddenly they were vital characters and the game was incomplete without them. This is why I took the Wolf love on here with a grain of salt all the time.

I can virtually guarantee that people complaining about Bayonetta and Corrin will be first in line to demand their return if they're cut for future installments (though I hope they return myself) because muh vets.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
I distinctly remember hate for Wolf and Lucas during the Brawl era, but then as soon as they weren't in the base game for Smash 4 suddenly there was an outcry for them to return and how the roster wasn't complete without them.

Honestly, it happens with all the veterans. No one liked Mewtwo or Roy in Melee, but as soon as they were gone suddenly they were vital characters and the game was incomplete without them. This is why I took the Wolf love on here with a grain of salt all the time.

I can virtually guarantee that people complaining about Bayonetta and Corrin will be first in line to demand their return if they're cut for future installments (though I hope they return myself) because muh vets.
I don't feel like mewtwo or Roy would have gotten hate but at the time I wasn't old enough to pay attention or care. I feel like roy could have gotten some but I don't know. These characters will be accepted eventually though. Look at dark pit and Lucina there is already a lot less hate for them then when the game came out

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You have no idea how much I bathed in all this Bayonetta salt. Oh it's be glorious. So happy.
Also, happy speculation has ended for Smash 4. 2 years is a really long time, even if it has flied by.

Plus, let's play a game. This is just an opinion but let's rate the DLC's from best to worst(so far as 2 not released)!
Mine:

1. :4bayonetta:
  2. :4ryu:
  3. :4corrin::4mewtwo:
  4. :4cloud:
  5. :4feroy:
  6. :4lucas:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
You have no idea how much I bathed in all this Bayonetta salt. Oh it's be glorious. So happy.
Also, happy speculation has ended for Smash 4. 2 years is a really long time, even if it has flied by.

Plus, let's play a game. This is just an opinion but let's rate the DLC's from best to worst(so far as 2 not released)!
Mine:

:4lucas:
:4mewtwo:
:4feroy:
:4ryu:
:4cloud:
:4bayonetta:
:4corrin:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
You're comparing Fire Emblem to Kirby and Donkey Kong, which I already said, are giants in the industry. Given that Awakening matched the sales of cash grab remakes of best selling games, this is actually impressive for an original game. Is Splatoon hitting a million not impressive either because it's not hit the level of Super Mario 3D World? You said it yourself, it was a franchise that was about to be canned before they struck gold. It's not really defending Fire Emblem as much as acknowledging that it's turn around was actually kind of impressive, especially when you consider that Fire Emblem (the first international GBA game with a ton of buzz behind it thanks to Melee) didn't even hit 700,000 and all but one of the installments before that didn't even hit half a million. Four characters in the main game, two DLC characters: one being one of the most popular cut veterans and the other being an advertisement for Fates outside Japan. This all considered, not that bad.
Splatoon hitting a million is much more impressive because it's on the Wii U. 13 games in total can boast that accolade according to VGCHARTS.

This said I can't see anyone defending the idea of getting multiple Splatoon characters. Hell, the salt would probably be flowing if we'd got 2 Pokemon as DLC, and attempting to compare sales with Pokemon is a laughable endeavour.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

Mine:

1.:4feroy:
2.:4cloud:
3. :4mewtwo:
4.:4ryu:
5. :4corrin:
6. :4bayonetta:
7. :4lucas:

Luig

Confused

Mine:

1. :4feroy:
3. :4lucas:
5.:4mewtwo:
6 .:4bayonetta:
7. :4corrin:
I know nothing about these last two...
Bayonetta looked more hype tho.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237

Just you wait and see how many Dark Pit fans will come out of the Mirror of Truth if they find out he's been cut from 5mash

Luig

Confused
The only thing I'd be mad at really is if they removed one of the original 12.
That's like removing mario from the mario series.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Wanna meet your first one?

It gets people interested and getting people interested is the first step into making them Smash fans. Got a friend who's dying to play Cloud when I get back home. Maybe he won't buy a Wii U and Smash, but someone else may.
I obviously don't know your friend, but he counts I guess, lol.

True, but I don't think it would hurt to add Nintendo characters either. :p Like I said, I'm fine with what we have, I just think DLC would have been even better if we had more than one Nintendo newcomer in a Nintendo fighting game.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
:younglinkmelee::pichumelee::popo::squirtle::ivysaur::snake::wolf:
After two years of hope and hype
Face full of tears we mope and gripe
Collecting dust as a trophy
In the end it just was not to be
As much as we miss all of you
In Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U
In our hearts you'll all stay standing tall
In Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl

Audi Faman Illius...

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
To be fair, even though I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem (Pokémon is my favorite Nintendo series), it has been around for a very long time (since 1990, even older than Pokémon!). And I can't blame Sakurai for being biased. If I was in charge of Smash, I wouldn't think twice about adding in as many Pokémon characters as I could.

Zeeloid

Smash Rookie
I'll never understand the argument that we should be satisfied with what we got. I mean really. Especially with how hypocritical some people can be. I bet the people saying this would be extremely salty if Scorpion and Steve were the final characters revealed. Just because you're satisfied with the DLC doesn't mean that others should be as well.

That's not even taking into account that the DLC honestly wasn't all that fantastic (IMO). We got three veterans and two them were basically just given HD models. Plus, why was Lucas even cut? There was literally no reason for this to happen. It feels like a cop out that I have to spend money of this character.

A majority of the stages we got were just ports from previous games. The worst offenders (IMO) are the 64 stages. I mean really... Even Project M can do that (and they arguably did so in a better way).

Mii costumes are still pretty worth less. Not only that, but they feel more daunting than anything. Viridi, Lloyd, Inkling, King K. Rool, etc... They play nothing like they should.

The only content I actually enjoyed were the inclusion of Ryu, Cloud, and the new stages that came with them (including Mario Maker). The rest felt kind of, "meh."

I'm still indifferent on Corrin and Bayonetta. They look fun, but that's about it (at least for me). I think I actually have more gripes with Bayonetta more than anything, but whatever.

"COMPETITIVE ACTON GAME"

Um... Okay...
U sound so entitled! Like u def have passion (which is awesome) but u come from

"COMPETITIVE ACTON GAME"

Um... Okay...
U sound so entitled! U've got such passion about this (which is awesome) but u discuss as if something is owed to u. Those dlc's came at great work to the dev team and didn't need to happen, if it comes down to getting something I wasn't going to get in the first place I'll def take former.

Also this is sakurai's at the end of day isn't it? Like idea wise. He should get to call for what he thinks it is :s.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The only thing I'd be mad at really is if they removed one of the original 12.
That's like removing mario from the mario series.
The only character I would be fine with removing from the original 12 is Jigglypuff. To me, she seems like the most pointless addition to the series, even moreso than Dark Pit. At least he was a significant character in the game he made his debut in. Jigglypuff is not even relevant to her own series anymore and there are so many better Pokémon that could take her spot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Mine:

1. :4mewtwo:
2. :4feroy:
3. :4ryu:
5. :4lucas:

6. :4bayonetta:

7. Poop

8. :4corrin:

"COMPETITIVE ACTON GAME"

Um... Okay...
Thanks for pointing this out man. A lot of people here want to defend Sakurai's decision making to the death which is sicking really.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Thanks for pointing this out man. A lot of people here want to defend Sakurai's decision making to the death which is sicking really.
I defend it cause I like it, although Tournament mode can surely be done better.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
U sound so entitled! Like u def have passion (which is awesome) but u come from

U sound so entitled! U've got such passion about this (which is awesome) but u discuss as if something is owed to u. Those dlc's came at great work to the dev team and didn't need to happen, if it comes down to getting something I wasn't going to get in the first place I'll def take former.

Also this is sakurai's at the end of day isn't it? Like idea wise. He should get to call for what he thinks it is :s.
This seems to be another case of, "I liked the DLC and you should like it to, because I liked it." As I said before, It's OK if you like it, but I personally think it's a pretty poor batch of DLC. And you're right, they didn't have to make the DLC. The fact of the matter is that they did and I just found it to be underwhelming.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What I said goes beyond Smash Bros and applies to almost anything in the world really. Even Anime/Manga where the author does something questionable and the diehards fight to the death defending what the author did. These people have an autocratic way of thinking that the author or director is god and everything he does is right and if we don't think so then we're stupid by default and these are the worst people in the world. Apologists are just human trash.

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
What I said goes beyond Smash Bros and applies to almost anything in the world really. Even Anime/Manga where the author does something questionable and the diehards fight to the death defending what the author did. These people have an autocratic way of thinking that the author or director is god and everything he does is right and if we don't think so then we're stupid by default and these are the worst people in the world. Apologists are just human trash.
There are also people who legitimately like what he added so it's not everyone. Personally i think he could have made a slightly better final choice for a Nintendo newcomer but the character looks really unique. The best part is though all of this is extra and you don't have to buy it. I think both of the characters look really fun to play so I will get both. However if you don't like the characters that is fine they won't be for everyone and never could be. The overall product was really fun and has a great roster overall so I can't complain with the result.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There are also people who legitimately like what he added so it's not everyone. Personally i think he could have made a slightly better final choice for a Nintendo newcomer but the character looks really unique. The best part is though all of this is extra and you don't have to buy it. I think both of the characters look really fun to play so I will get both. However if you don't like the characters that is fine they won't be for everyone and never could be. The overall product was really fun and has a great roster overall so I can't complain with the result.
Just gonna post what I said elsewhere.
A character doesn't have to directly appeal to me. :4lucas::4ryu::4cloud:were characters that I didn't really want initially but came to love when they all were revealed. The former being that he has a huge fan following in the fanbase and the other 2 given their significance to video games as a whole. The 2 also have a broad appeal that appeals to pretty much every Smash Bros fan other than maybe a very small segment of people who don't want them. :4corrin:is absolutely not in the boat because their a significant portion of people that didn't want him/her being in the game so she's absolutely not an example of "can't please everyone" because :4ryu::4cloud:were characters that pleased 95-99% of Smash Bros fans showing that you are able to please the majority of fans if you don't put in a character that a lot of people would hate seeing in the game.
And to further prove this isn't a matter of not getting a character I wanted, i'm going to bring up the Inklings. Everyone on SB that knows me knows that I hate Splatoon and the idea of the Inklings being in Smash. And you know what? I would still be happy for the people that wanted them in because I could understand the reasoning for them being in the game and that they had a solid fan following justifying them getting in the game. Wouldn't buy them certainly but would be happy for those that wanted them which I absolutely can't do for Corrin. So Corrin fanboys/fangirls bringing this crap up all the time, there's your answer.
Also, about the whole idea of overlooking a character because of their moveset.

And the whole uniqueness thing is a load of crap. Not saying Corrin isn't unique but to say that he/she should get in because of that reason is absolutely ******** because I could point to so many characters for the same reason.

Y'know, their was a certain character that also happened to have a very unique style that could draw so much inspiration from his game. I believe that fellow's name was Isaac and happened to be extremely popular as a DLC choice. But know, you have to throw all that amazing potential because Sakurai is completely biased to FE and won't give other series a chance.
And hey, if you want to bring up upcoming games, why don't you ever mention :wolf:? Unless I have severe memory loss, he has a game that's going to be out soon as well that's highly anticipated by all Nintendo fans alike. Unlike Corrin, he was actually highly requested to return to Smash Bros and had a huge fan following to return to the series. He also has a moveset that expands beyond being a Fox clone that people loved in Brawl not to mention his dev time wouldn't be as expansive as Corrin.

Funny how people bring up the fact that Corrin has a new game coming out as well as her moveset because Wolf does all those things not to mention he was much more requested then Corrin so that argument is BS right from the get go. He's also popular in Japan as well so that's another stupid argument debunked if people try to bring it up. But still, FE bias is in effect so Wolf had to get screwed over.

Last edited:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Just gonna post what I said elsewhere.

Also, about the whole idea of overlooking a character because of their moveset.
Can isaac transform into a dragon though? It's an interesting move set idea. On the subject of the other characters though i'm pretty sure if they were revealed as the last dlc fighters people would hate on them because they weren't what people wanted. This happens all the time when the last characters get revealed for these games. You're allowed to not like or buy the characters but they have things that appeal to people that you can't discount. I would have liked Isaac in the game but we could have gotten nothing after the main roster so i'm happy with the extra things we got.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Can isaac transform into a dragon though? It's an interesting move set idea. On the subject of the other characters though i'm pretty sure if they were revealed as the last dlc fighters people would hate on them because they weren't what people wanted. This happens all the time when the last characters get revealed for these games. You're allowed to not like or buy the characters but they have things that appeal to people that you can't discount. I would have liked Isaac in the game but we could have gotten nothing after the main roster so i'm happy with the extra things we got.
No, but Isaac has geomancy, djinn, summons, and massive magic hands.
And more demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom