• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I kind of doubt Bayonetta really won here fairly, I think there's no way there wasn't some mass voter fraud, from what I could tell, and perhaps I'm wrong, Dixie Kong and K. Rool were the big cheeses here in Europe. I don't know why people have suddenly started believing in this "silent majority" that apparently is interested in a niche hardcore game, when a much easier solution would be that a few people decided to rig the ballot with a lot of proxy IP votes. Seriously, there was a lot of cheating going on in the support threads during the ballot, do you all really think nobody was dedicated enough to vote, say, 1000 times? It's not hard at all, just tedious. Look, I'm not upset with her inclusion at all, (I'm pleasantly surprised by her) and who knows, maybe she really is the most popular character here, but it really does concern me that people have just accepted she won without questioning how much fraud took place and are instantly taking her popularity over K. Rool or Wolf as a fact.
I don't believe there is any character with a character support thread on smashboards that wasn't also rigged in some capacity.

To me Corrin is the more fishy one as its obvious its another Roy basically. But i still like him.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Were you mad that Roy was in Melee?
Nobody was mad about Roy being in Melee, because we DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY HIM SEPARATELY FROM MELEE. You didn't pay extra money to buy Roy.

We're going to spend extra money to buy Corrin separately from Smash 4 if we want a complete game. The two situations aren't comparable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Reps! Reps everywhere!

It's. Not. About. Reps.

You don't have to be a competitive player to like the gameplay, which is what makes you come back. Characters are good to play as, but it's the gameplay that matters. It's the gameplay that makes us play every Smash game a butt ton. It's the reason I've put thousands of hours in overall to Smash combined.

Do I understand being sad that your character didn't make it? Yes. Being salty? Grow up. You don't have to buy it, Bayonetta and Corrin are NOT objectively bad choices. Both are unique characters that provide something new to the gameplay, which is what longtime players look for.

At first I also thought, "Another Fire Emblem character?", but then soon after fell in love with Corrin, and now may even debate on maining him/her. The moveset looks sweet.

There are characters that people wanted to who didn't get it, but the fact of the matter is that we've gotten a hell of a lot of content already. A hell of a lot. Way more DLC AND fanservice than any other game with DLC in my experience. Be happy that he man and his team stuck around to give us a lot of content.

One last thing...the only one responsible for getting your hopes up...is you.

EDIT:Are we seriously complaining that we " have" to buy Corrin for a complete game? Come on now. You don't have to buy ANYTHING.

Sakurai is only entitled to your money if you want his product. If you buy the product that's on you. On the flip side of the coin, Sakurai isn't just catering to fans of like 3 characters that were requested. He's catering to fans of Smash Bros. Just because he didn't add K.Rool or Isaac or Snake or Wolf doesn't mean he isn't doing it for the fans or something.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Do I understand being sad that your character didn't make it? Yes. Being salty? Grow up.
Wait there's a difference between being salty and being sad!? I legitimately never knew that, what's the difference?
(I always thought it was rude that people were criticizing other people for being salty or upset, but it makes a lot more sense if salty is something different than being upset.)

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, it's not even the rep thing that's getting me. It's the fact that...well, there's only so much of a good thing one can take before you just decide that you want something else. Roy was the icing on the cake for the FE cast for me, a nice way to cap off FE's cast for Smash 4. Corrin...just seems excessive. I'm not hating Corrin for being Corrin, I just find that she would have probably made a bit more sense in Smash 5 rather than this game.

It's like if you had this really good dinner that filled you up and then your mother gave you another plate of it and expected you to eat it all before letting you leave; you're not wanting to leave because of the food, but you've already had your fill of it. A lot of people have had their fill of Fire Emblem characters this game, and Corrin is kind of like that excess plate that we want to have out of courtesy, but we're so full that we can't eat much.

That's Corrin for me. Bayonetta's like that ice cream that looks really great, but it's flavor is kind of lost on you because of the fact that you can't really enjoy it due to the fact that you're full.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
There's a ton of characters I would have wanted instead of Corrin but I do enjoy his moveset so far. A freaking bare-foot dragon-human chainsword and lance Avatar character is soooo.....dammnnn....crazy!

My perfect scenario would be Bayonetta + Inkling but I can't complain because I didn't exactly expect Bayonetta until I saw the Sonic Mii costumes, at which point I really wanted a Bayo Mii costume only to be super hyped later on.
Honestly, it's not even the rep thing that's getting me. It's the fact that...well, there's only so much of a good thing one can take before you just decide that you want something else. Roy was the icing on the cake for the FE cast for me, a nice way to cap off FE's cast for Smash 4. Corrin...just seems excessive. I'm not hating Corrin for being Corrin, I just find that she would have probably made a bit more sense in Smash 5 rather than this game.

It's like if you had this really good dinner that filled you up and then your mother gave you another plate of it and expected you to eat it all before letting you leave; you're not wanting to leave because of the food, but you've already had your fill of it. A lot of people have had their fill of Fire Emblem characters this game, and Corrin is kind of like that excess plate that we want to have out of courtesy, but we're so full that we can't eat much.

That's Corrin for me. Bayonetta's like that ice cream that looks really great, but it's flavor is kind of lost on you because of the fact that you can't really enjoy it due to the fact that you're full.
Elaborate pls. This metaphor is pretty intresting to me. Do you mean you were already happy enough with the DLC or something else?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait there's a difference between being salty and being sad!? I legitimately never knew that, what's the difference?
(I always thought it was rude that people were criticizing other people for being salty or upset, but it makes a lot more sense if salty is something different than being upset.)
Salty is basically slang for being overtly bitter or resentful. Sad is if I drop my ice cream cone, salty is if I let it ruin my day and try to start a fight when the ice cream place doesn't just automatically give me a free one to replace it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why all these objections / dissaproval to the obvious salt many of us are experiencing now? This ballot which was held, was supposed to be the ultimate gift of giving US (the "fans") the power to choose which character(s) should be added to the playable character roster. AND I DON'T BELIEVE FOR ONE SECOND that Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin are the Ballot winners.

Bayonetta might've gotten some votes that rank her somewhat higher than the others, sure. But Cloud and Corrin? Definitely hand-picked by Sakurai. The fact he even outrighetly dismissed Wolf -who should've been a fairly easy addition seeing as he was THE LAST CHARCTER added to Brawl- is already a clear slap in the face. And I don't see how FF7 should be hailed as much as the Holy Grail of Gaming in the 90s as it back in the day directly competed with Ocarina of Time. At least SEGA and Nintendo worked their stuff out during the time of Sonic getting into Brawl. I really feel that Sakurai sold out on what was supposed to be his prime target: Nintendo fans.

Now am not the greatest or loyal of Nintendo fans, because I don't own a 3DS nor Wii U. And since the first time ever, am glad I didn't waste that money on it... I missed out on Tropical Freeze, that's probably my biggest regret. Because Smash honestly has became everything I didn't want it to be. Maybe Zelda Wii U can still surprise me, but I doubt it. Hyrule Wariors and Star Fox Zero also look cool, but nothing that would keep me interessted and occupied for long in the end. Only a new Donkey Kong Country t would gurauntee me buying a Wii U at this point. And I doubt that they will even make one at this point...

Thing is, prior to Awakening, I was a HUGE Fire Emblem fan. I felt kind of distressed missing out on Awakening, but the game added so much stuff that I disliked that I'll now refer to myself as a fan of the series before the 'Waifu Era'. Fates looks promising, and actually, Corrin looks rad as ****, but I can't be bothered too much with the series anymore... The franchise is doing weird stuff I dislike, like adding waifus which attracts a fanbase I don't want to be assiociated with, releasing paid DLC that's determined for the "complete story" and now 2 or even 3 versions of Fates coming out doing the same... I am pretty sure that all this Fire Emblem content is a direct request from Intelligent Systems.

It's so damn much, that I'd actually be GENUINELY INTERESSTED in seeing Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem having an actual cross- over with Sakurai as the director. Place Amiibos of your favorite character on your screen, and KABOOM, here you have an Over-Powered Nintendo character now as your army's general. Certain characters already seem like natural additions, like the Zelda cast for example. I think a Smash x Fire Emblem cross-over holds a lot of potential, and I really want to see it happening.

Well, so much for speculation about Smash Bros. for these two titles. Am sure that this was all we're getting. No, Wolf won't make it in, Sakurai had to make extremely flashy movesets for characters WE ALL wanted to be in SO BADLY that he couldn't add Wolf in of course. The final Direct dedicated to Star Fox Zero will end awkwardly because of this, most likely.

Yes, a new director to Smash would be great. But I don't want to re-support Diddy Kong getting in again. Because Nintendo sure as hell isn't keen on a Rare-created monkey still running around freely with Mario and friends appearantly... And of course the constant backlash on Diddy being Top Tier for this game makes him easily one of the least popular characters on the roster. GREAT! Meanwhile, Sheik has received no nerfs yet again.

It isn't so much the salt that I didn't get what I wanted this time. It's moreover the salt of everything I wanted being in HAND REACH of getting in, but our fine director decided to do whatever pleases him, his friends, and his resume the most (which am SURE of is the prime motivation of Sakurai adding so many 3rd party characters). And me, being a longtime fan of the series, being extremely dissapointed in the end because of this all.

Yes, call me childish, immature, salted, I don't care. YOU YOURSELF are now reading this message anyway, so that means that in the end, you took the same effort I did to either check this forum, or sign in to it to discuss these matters. So don't tell me to not care, because obviously, I do otherwise I have no reason being here. And neither do you.

As for me, am outta here. GAME OVER. 2L84ME.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Diddy, I wouldn't worry too bad about the littler Kong getting cut from the game; he's a highly-requested character and even in spite of his days of glory in this game, I don't think anybody hates Diddy as a character. He's not like Geno, where only a vocal minority seem to want him in nowadays. Besides, Diddy's still plenty relevant in modern DK games, so he'll probably stick around.

Dark Pit, though, I definitely see as being one of the first on the chopping block. Not a lot of people liked him or his execution, and he's generally not a well-recieved Smash character. Same with Lucina.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Since this thread closes today, I'm going to give my closing view with the roster additions as a whole.

We were coming off of Brawl, a game that got a prolonged development cycle through setbacks such as the Subspace Emmisary and the legal work around Sonic. Nonetheless, it gave us... 18 newcomers, if I'm not mistaken.
1.:diddy:2.:warioc:3.:dedede:4.:metaknight:5.:toonlink: 6.:zerosuitsamus:7.:pit:8.:olimar:9.:lucario:10-12. :pt::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:13.:lucas:14.:ike:15.:wolf:16.:rob:17.:snake:18.:sonic:

In comparison to Melee, a MASSIVE expansion to the roster and really filled a lot of the "gaps" for the bigger characters with Nintendo. At this point you had some names like Ridley, K. Rool, and if you wanna extend it Ganon missing and plenty lesser franchises that some fans would've liked but it namely felt like compensation for the little Melee was able to do in its crunched development.

Across the Smash 4 main roster, we got newcomers.
3 at E3 2013 :4villager::4megaman::4wiifit:. 3 between the E3's :rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja:. 5 at E3 2014 :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4pacman:. 3 before the 3DS version :4robinm::4lucina::4shulk: and the 3 known through that game :4darkpit::4duckhunt::4bowserjr:.
17 newcomers. Almost as many as Brawl. With a couple big names, namely 3rd Par ties, making their ways in but you got some requested characters from niches more amongst the newcomers. What you feel about this pool being good or bad decisions because of certain omissions and such is a personal agenda.

But then we move to DLC.
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:. Three massively requested veterans who probably would've been on the roster if the team had more time (though it's missing it's 4th member). Good for their fans but none of the veterans I had a personal attachment to which were cut.

:4ryu::4cloud:Icons of gaming history thought unlikely for a number of reasons, the most common being that their series had become far more associated with Sony than the Nintendo roots they had through the SNES era, even if they kept spin-offs consistently on the handhelds. Both characters I really couldn't care about and got upset that one of my top 10... hell, top 5 got invalidated by one of these two getting in.

To this point, I think the community largely can agree that this all felt like a natural expansion of the roster which every person had a strong amount of hype, even if Ryu got leaked and had his hype hurt the most because of it.

But then we look at how they closed it. The final broadcast, where we expected them to bring out an A game to close it, a final thank you to the fans.
Who did we get?
:4corrin:Blatant advertisement character. Even if people tried to use this excuse for Inklings at least their game was out for a considerable amount of time and managed to reach a very noticable level of iconicism through it before they were chosen, let alone implimented to the roster. Not even talking "muh FE reps" and making Anna less likely for the next game. For when we were told that all the characters were fanservice from here, we didn't expect it to be in this form because a character put in for advertisement is thus devised to get people interested into a character/game, not be for those who have already done so. It's the opposite to fan service.

:4bayonetta: A lot of questions given at the terms used in how she was chosen. Without argument, the least qualified 3rd Party on merit of what she and her games have done for gaming. Single most requested of Europe and Top 5 of NA just still seems unreal, but maybe I'm just tunnel visioned.

DLC, to this point, has been "It pretty much makes sense, but none that I can get excited for." I expected a strong, Nintendo, closure for the roster. Frankly, our final 2 didn't bring either.

I'll admit, I hoped for the scope of our DLC to be 8-10 characters for a long amount of the ride.
But even still.

This is what we stand with having.

I think this damn well better shows how a large amount of the community hoped it to turn out to be.
A high-request veteran with just about every right to return :wolf:.
A high-request Nintendo Newcomer who's core is with the older fans (K. Rool).
A high-request Nintendo Newcomer who's core is with the younger fans (Inkling).

I may be sounding somewhat childish and this "what-if" unlikely for workload (when, all things considered, it's basically what we got in relative workload but with Wolf given in instead of legal work for another 3rd Party). But... I feel like this would've felt far more like a fitting climax for Smash, for Sakurai.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Diddy... I've known you long enough to know you'll be back. With Dixie and Impa practically being at the front of the line for their respective franchises at the moment, I can see you coming back if you're not totally burned out on video games by the next installment.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Diddy, I wouldn't worry too bad about the littler Kong getting cut from the game; he's a highly-requested character and even in spite of his days of glory in this game, I don't think anybody hates Diddy as a character. He's not like Geno, where only a vocal minority seem to want him in nowadays. Besides, Diddy's still plenty relevant in modern DK games, so he'll probably stick around.

Dark Pit, though, I definitely see as being one of the first on the chopping block. Not a lot of people liked him or his execution, and he's generally not a well-recieved Smash character. Same with Lucina.
Dark Pit, Dr.Mario and Lucina could easily be downgraded to what they were at first intended to be. Alt costumes. Much better than full on cut. Also, they could come back for the same reasons they got added.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
At the very least, Sakurai's personality doesn't come off as snide and cruel. The man doesn't try to be controversial...but some of his choices don't exactly sit well with people.

Everyone claiming we need to "get over it" is being a tool, though; there's no reason we have to shut up and be happy that we got Advertisement: The Character and another friggin' third-party over characters people really wanted, like K.Rool, Wolf, Dixie or other such characters.

It's a bit of a slap to the face to cherrypick results just because of arbitrary critera like "They were the most requested in this continent!". Either go worldwide in your picks with the ballot or at least make good justifications for your choices.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
These 3 new DLC characters look OP as ****, and I actually hope they end up sucking bad because of this. The hell they need to look so flashy for? Mewtwo especially looks so damn underwhelming. It's really bothering me actually. You can SEE from each character's quality of moveset currently when they got added into Smash Bros., it's really bad. How come Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Little Mac, Rosalina and Shulk have all these weird *** gimmicks from their original games, but Ganondorf is still a horrible semi clone? Samus can't run and shoot? Mewtwo is still terrible and underwhelming?

:facepalm:

Smash 5 better fix this ****
THIS. I personally think the new characters are/are looking amazingly fun to play as since they have so dynamic movsets with lots of interesting details, button inputs and "Gimmicks", but it saddens me to see all the old veterans like Samus, Mewtwo, Ganondorf (and generally the old characters) etc have so uninspired and basic movesets when there are TONS of potential to make them just as dynamic and interesting and closer to how they function in their original games. (For example why not make Samus able to aim her chargeshot or missiles in different directions, go into morphball mode, plant a powerbomb, change shotypes and move while charging etc?)

And the reason it is like this is mostly because Sakurai doesn't want to change the old characters since it would alienate the fans of said characters from previous Smash games, which i can understand but some veteran characters movesets really feel outdated and uninspired at this point.

While i love Sakurai's work and all he has done this is the main reason that i would like to see someone else be the lead developer of the next smash game that hopefully isn't afraid to change and add stuff to the older characters and make them feel fresh and interesting. I also think this is the way to go for Smash 5 to make it really feel like a new experience instead of just adding a bunch of new characters and stages etc and keeping the mechanics of the old characters the same.

(Sorry if slightly off topic but it's something that has been bothering me for a while)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
:4bayonetta: A lot of questions given at the terms used in how she was chosen. Without argument, the least qualified 3rd Party on merit of what she and her games have done for gaming. Single most requested of Europe and Top 5 of NA just still seems unreal, but maybe I'm just tunnel visioned.

DLC, to this point, has been "It pretty much makes sense, but none that I can get excited for." I expected a strong, Nintendo, closure for the roster. Frankly, our final 2 didn't bring either.

I'll admit, I hoped for the scope of our DLC to be 8-10 characters for a long amount of the ride.
But even still.

This is what we stand with having.

I think this damn well better shows how a large amount of the community hoped it to turn out to be.
A high-request veteran with just about every right to return :wolf:.
A high-request Nintendo Newcomer who's core is with the older fans (K. Rool).
A high-request Nintendo Newcomer who's core is with the younger fans (Inkling).

I may be sounding somewhat childish and this "what-if" unlikely for workload (when, all things considered, it's basically what we got in relative workload but with Wolf given in instead of legal work for another 3rd Party). But... I feel like this would've felt far more like a fitting climax for Smash, for Sakurai.
At least out of the 3rd parties included. True but Shantae, Shovel K and some other requested characters done less.
However, you can't argue she ain't a totally unique character. I think every character got rigged in some capacity and the significance of the quite, casual players is unknown. Her winning the ballot was a shocker even to me. (By hardcore I define as "people who actively follow gaming news/discussions/forums)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy... I've known you long enough to know you'll be back. With Dixie and Impa practically being at the front of the line for their respective franchises at the moment, I can see you coming back if you're not totally burned out on video games by the next installment.
I hardly play games already as it is. It just happens I sometimes do enjoy a long night of playing Smash with this guy I often refer to as my 'Smash buddy' because Smash Bros. was such a huge aspect of our childhood. Right now, the characters being added to this game do exactly the opposite. It's like am both too old, and too young for the audience Sakurai tried to target with these characters, and it makes me uncomfortable.

I might buy the next console of Nintendo with Smash Bros. for my son though, as he's now 2 years old and will probably be of respectable age to play Smash by the time Smash 5 comes out. Nintendo consoles are cheaper than Playstations and XBoxes, so it makes for a reasonable present some time in the future.
THIS. I personally think the new characters are/are looking amazingly fun to play as since they have so dynamic movsets with lots of interesting details, button inputs and "Gimmicks", but it saddens me to see all the old veterans like Samus, Mewtwo, Ganondorf (and generally the old characters) etc have so uninspired and basic movesets when there are TONS of potential to make them just as dynamic and interesting and closer to how they function in their original games. (For example why not make Samus able to aim her chargeshot or missiles in different directions, go into morphball mode, plant a powerbomb, change shotypes and move while charging etc?)

And the reason it is like this is mostly because Sakurai doesn't want to change the old characters since it would alienate the fans of said characters from previous Smash games, which i can understand but some veteran characters movesets really feel outdated and uninspired at this point.

While i love Sakurai's work and all he has done this is the main reason that i would like to see someone else be the lead developer of the next smash game that hopefully isn't afraid to change and add stuff to the older characters and make them feel fresh and interesting. I also think this is the way to go for Smash 5 to make it really feel like a new experience instead of just adding a bunch of new characters and stages etc

(Sorry if slightly off topic but it's something that has been bothering me for a while)
Thank you for seeing my point.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It is going to be interesting how they handle things in the future. If I had to throw my two cents in about potential cuts of the newcomers for this game:

Ain't Goin' No Where:

:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4megaman::4pacman::4palutena::rosalina::4villager:

Might Leave:

:4greninja::4robinm::4ryu::4shulk::4wiifit::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Probably Gone:

:4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4lucina:

It's too early to go into specifics but this is what I currently think.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
...the Miis? Unless you mean they're adding new class in place in a theoretical Smash 5 (something that doesn't make much sense to begin with) I'm not sure how they'd be cut.

Also I don't see Shulk being removed tbh. If Nintendo continues to push Xenoblade in the future he's definitely staying.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

While i love Sakurai's work and all he has done this is the main reason that i would like to see someone else be the lead developer of the next smash game that hopefully isn't afraid to change and add stuff to the older characters and make them feel fresh and interesting. I also think this is the way to go for Smash 5 to make it really feel like a new experience instead of just adding a bunch of new characters and stages etc

As long as the new director keeps all 3rd parties + try to bring Snake back.....

I will be fine, really. Sakurai creates great games out of Smash too. Like Uprising!

Burruni

Smash Hero
At least out of the 3rd parties included. True but Shantae, Shovel K and some other requested characters done less.
However, you can't argue she ain't a totally unique character. I think every character got rigged in some capacity and the significance of the quite, casual players is unknown. Her winning the ballot was a shocker even to me. (By hardcore I define as "people who actively follow gaming news/discussions/forums)
Yeah. They've done less.
But they're not on the roster. (Edit: That entire post being about who is on the roster... thought that implied the scope at which I'm judging her).
(Double edit: And, as I've said, the indies always banked on the case of adding a character for Indie's sake. They would not and can not stand up to our 3rd Parties as a 3rd Party).
And she's a unique character that feels like she does the gameplay style of ZSS better than she can and with more theatrics to it.
I'm a huge fan of her games and they did justice to her in the moveset, in some ways I didn't think possible.
Doesn't mean I agree with the decision with her being chosen as a ballot winner.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I think Sakurai really needs to leave Smash. Not because he's getting out of hand with character choices (...well, he is, but that's not why I want him gone).

He just seems to be getting tired of it. And a developer isn't good if he gets tired of working on things.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
While Bayonetta has an amazing looking moveset, other characters if given the chance could also have an amazing moveset.

I think it's great to see downloadable newcomers with creative movesets, but this could be said for many characters if given the chance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
...the Miis? Unless you mean they're adding new class in place in a theoretical Smash 5 (something that doesn't make much sense to begin with) I'm not sure how they'd be cut.

Also I don't see Shulk being removed tbh. If Nintendo continues to push Xenoblade in the future he's definitely staying.
I think the Miis might be combined into one big, customizable class in the future because I think future systems could easily handle it. As for Shulk, I guess it really just depends on how the Xenoblade franchise is approached in the future. X has been getting solid reviews but who knows if they'll be a new installment between then and now and if they decide they just want Shulk to be the rep, somebody new, or, heck, maybe Shulk and somebody new together. I could see Shulk staying if Xenoblade stays a cult classic too so it just really depends on how things unfold from here, in my opinion.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Who knows if they'll be a new installment between then and now and if they decide they just want Shulk to be the rep or somebody new.
If we got Chrom to replace :4myfriends:, I could POSSIBLY see this case.

But :4marth: got in and stayed in spite of recency because he was the most iconic character of the series and face of it. :4shulk: remains to that point, if for no other reason than already being in Smash.

The closest case we've ever had to this was the idea of :4lucas: replacing :4ness: in Melee because they functionally were near-identical in Earthbound 64.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Honestly, I think Sakurai really needs to leave Smash. Not because he's getting out of hand with character choices (...well, he is, but that's not why I want him gone).

He just seems to be getting tired of it. And a developer isn't good if he gets tired of working on things.
Thinking about it, I think it would be awesome if there was a new developer, all 3rd parties kept + Snake and maybe 1-2 new ones, but Sakurai still working on it as a influential supervisor.

For me, that would be perfect. Sakurai would have time to be working on 2 games at the same time!
While Bayonetta has an amazing looking moveset, other characters if given the chance could also have an amazing moveset.

I think it's great to see downloadable newcomers with creative movesets, but this could be said for many characters if given the chance.
That can be said for anyone. It can be said for Ryu, Corrin ect. It could also be said for K Rool but it wouldn't change anything either.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Quite frankly the people who are saying "lol the salt is delicious" and "grow up" are honestly more annoying and childish than the so called salty people.

At least I can empathizes with resentful people. Smug, self righteous people who think themselves morally superior, are the ones who should **** off, imo.

Not to mention that it gives off the implication that we dare shan't question anything Lord Sakurai-san gives.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
That can be said for anyone. It can be said for Ryu, Corrin ect. It could also be said for K Rool but it wouldn't change anything either.
Isn't that what I just said?

I mentioned Bayonetta in my example because she was specifically discussed a few posts above mine.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
One of the greatest things about Sakurai as a director was/is him choosing things that were a bit off the beaten path.

:ness64::falcon64:
:icsmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee::roymelee:
:snake::sonic::rob::pit::zerosuitsamus:
:4wiifit::4littlemac::4robinm::4shulk::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud:

....:4corrin::4bayonetta:

They've been some of the most interesting characters to be added INTO Smash.

But... damn.. if DLC isn't a time to settle down on some safer bet characters, man, ESPECIALLY your grand finale...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But :4marth: got in and stayed in spite of recency because he was the most iconic character of the series and face of it. :4shulk: remains to that point, if for no other reason than already being in Smash.

The closest case we've ever had to this was the idea of :4lucas: replacing :4ness: in Melee because they functionally were near-identical in Earthbound 64.
Point taken. If I really wanted to split hairs, I could say that Ness was chosen over Lucas in this game only to be brought back by extreme fan demand but your point still remains. With Marth, he's pretty much the star of the series given that he's technically starred in four games so I have no argument there. With Ike, my position with him following Brawl was pretty much the same I now have with Shulk. The Radiance Saga had a lot more staying power than I thought it would and Ike's popularity actually grew as time went on so, with that, I could see the same happening to Shulk. In recent years, a lot of people have put Xenoblade in their Top 5 favorite games of all time so this momentum could last, even in Xenoblade moves onto new locations and new protagonists.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So ive finnall;y tried Cloud.

Gee. He's probably in top 7 best fighters in the game! And it's not just cos of limit break. He is very strong in general too.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
FE has more characters than Pokemon now.

The niche, nearly dead and mostly Japan-exclusive franchise is apparently more deserving of characters than one of, if not the most popular video games of all time.

This screams of bias, and Bayo's just kind of salt in the wound that Corrin opened.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I like this bit of satire from Twitter. Don't forget to enlarge it!
Feel free to 'warn me', but I don't have anything to add to this.

@leyawn: oh come on, they don't even take it out of the box

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

The niche, nearly dead and mostly Japan-exclusive franchise is apparently more deserving of characters than one of, if not the most popular video games of all time.

This screams of bias, and Bayo's just kind of salt in the wound that Corrin opened.
Uhm.
What?
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
Looks pretty 1-1, mate.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

And that's my biggest problem with FE getting 6 reps sans Sakurai's blatant bias. Honestly a more realistic FE roster would have been just Ike and Lucina, since they're actually popular Lords, with Anna thrown in.

Hell, Robin is already "obsolete" because we got the new avatar character.

With Pokémon and Earthbound it's different. The Mother series is finished. Its story concluded. With the Pokémon, they appear in each generation.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Pokemon: :4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja::4mewtwo:
Fire Emblem: :4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4feroy::4corrin:

They're even.

Pokemon is apparently the second biggest video game franchise in the world though.

Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
And that's my biggest problem with FE getting 6 reps sans Sakurai's blatant bias. Honestly a more realistic FE roster would have been just Ike and Lucina, since they're actually popular Lords, with Anna thrown in.

Hell, Robin is already "obsolete" because we got the new avatar character.

With Pokémon and Earthbound it's different. The Mother series is finished. Its story concluded. With the Pokémon, they appear in each generation.
When did I ever bring up Pokemon?
We were talking about characters being replaced by the faces of new games.
Unless you're suggesting Lucario replaced Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer replaced Pichu, or Greninja replaced Squirtle it has no point on the subject.

Edit:
Don't forget Female Robin and Corrin.

It are different models, with different voices. It's gotta count for something...
No, they don't.
Because they're not characters, they're costumes. Detailed costumes.
Unless we wanna count Punch-Out as having 4 characters.
:4littlemac::4wiremac: and their hooded equivilents.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Uhm.
What?
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
Looks pretty 1-1, mate.
Wait, I think I was including :4robinf: in the count, since technically they're two characters sharing a slot and moveset (like the Koopalings).

So it's more like this;
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina::4corrin:(Female):4corrin:(Male)
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja:

EDIT:
No, they don't.
Because they're not characters, they're costumes. Detailed costumes.
Unless we wanna count Punch-Out as having 4 characters.
:4littlemac::4wiremac: and their hooded equivilents.
Female Robin and Female Corrin are different characters to Male Robin and Male Corrin, though; Wireframe Little Mac is just Little Mac in a wireframe style. There's a difference between visual difference and biological differences.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Don't forget Female Robin and Corrin.

It are different models, with different voices. It's gotta count for something...
If we count alts then:

Pokemon: :4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja:
Fire Emblem: :4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4robinf::4corrin:(female Corrin)
Mario: :4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4peach::4drmario::rosalina::4bowserjr::4ludwig::4lemmy::4morton::4iggy::4wendy::4roy::4larry:

Well damn. And no, I'm not counting Wario, Yoshi or the DK duo, that'd be dumb.

EDIT:

I'm curious now. How many would of preferred the Wolf and Paper Mario leak to have been the true outcome over Corrin and Bayo?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom