• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
All in all, it's fine. My most wanted character already got into another fighting game as a playable character, so I'm still happy about that. I feel kind of sorry for King K. Rool fans who have spent years supporting their favorite character just to end up with a lousy costume, though. Sakurai must really hate Western franchises, huh?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Oh, thanks for bringing that up. We never really decided how the voting system worked, or how broken/unbroken it was.
Was it one vote per system? Or could people literally sit at their computer all day sending off votes for characters? I'll admit, as great an idea as the ballot was, it wasn't organized the best...
Well as Zink Imp Zink Imp said, the ballot wasn't a popularity contest, but a mere suggestion. A character could've literally gotten one vote and could've still won.

Morbi

Scavenger
from what i tracked, it was Wolf, K. Rool and Wonder Red.
though this was early on in the ballot, and was pretty much Reddit, and my social circles. but hey, majority wins, so despite the loudest corners of smashboards saying this was lackluster or it should have been "the character i voted on" or "muh predictions"... people have to realize other people in the world exist.

______

a message to everyone:
you guys and girls may not want to hear this. this ballot isn't about what you want or expect, it is about what everyone wants. no matter WHO WON, someone will get mad or salty as fk. it may not be you, but the person who voted for bayonetta who wound up to say "EFF SMASH, EFF NINTENDO, AND EFF YOU" when one of YOUR top choices won.

everyone that is "puzzled", to me, is self centered or introspective to a point where they don't consider forces beyond their social circles.
just because Etika's fan poll lacked bayonetta or so and so's fan poll didn't yield bayonetta to the path of victory doesn't mean she didn't win in the end... she was in the top 5 for USA, remember that. she didn't win in america, but she did win overall. maybe K. Rool was 1st in america but 20th in both japan and Europe, that won't make him win.

The worst i've seen is people quitting smash all together... because of these results or this direct in general. because apparently, these two characters affect their game or something? i'm like, are you forcing yourself to buy everything? does this character invalidate your main? people are ridiculous and Twitter, facebook, reddit, and smashboards all have these quotas of most ridiculous hyperbole reactions citing their disappointments and people wanting a recount. what is this, the presidency? that's exactly what this is. democrats will get mad when republicans win and vice versa, there will be people saying, What? trump won? why? This poll was months after Bayonetta 2 hype, bayo was fresh.
Bayonetta does actually invalidate my main.

Hmm. That certainly is something to think about. I suppose you're right. That HAS to be the logical reason why Sakurai gave more love and attention to Waifu Emblem than Pokémon. I really don't understand why TPC is so overprotective of their series. It seems to me like they're insecure.
That, and Pokken already has a lot of fan-favorite Pokemon covered. I understand that you would have enjoyed Sceptile, but he would have been slightly redundant if he was coming to two different Nintendo fighters. That might be why Pokken opted to not add certain Pokemon. Even Mewtwo is not technically Mewtwo.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
They never said she was the clear winner though, it says underneath the numbers she was of the realized characters. That could disqualified 10 other people who knows. We PRb will never know.
I don't buy it, Top 5 in USA and Number 1 in Europe? I'm cool with her addition, but don't lie to me about made up numbers to justify the decision. Just say that among the top voted characters, Sakurai felt she would be a good newcomer.

Maybe. I'll admit that even still, Bayonetta is rather strange as a ballot winner, but it's still a character with popularity regardless. However, I'm sure there are other things at play here. Perhaps some of the characters we've been thinking of (Isaac/Rool) just have had their day. I suppose in the end recency really does play a key. So, even if they were higher in some way, Sakurai could still say no to them due to being characters a young generation might not remember.

In a way, choosing recency as a justification to a character inclusion, at least for Nintendo, is sad. They've shown us with Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and Game & Watch that older characters do matter to them, but I guess there's a certain time period of where the classicness ends. Hopefully one day they'll realize that adding characters just because they are more recent or relevant isn't better than adding one with plenty of history, but isn't exactly retro yet...

Corrin... I've got nothing. Sakurai was just trying to drum up sales for the FE game through including 'em. That's all I can think. They're still too recent to get major fan support.
Younger generation? You mean he kids who aren't even allowed to play Bayonetta? Like I said, I think Bayonetta was an awesome third party choice, but don't lie about it

Plus, it's always heart warming to see the smug Bayonetta supporters try to rub salt in the wound, but lucky for me, I like Bayonetta. It's Corrin that's ridiculous and absurd

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is going to sound a little weird.

I adore Bayonetta's dulogy f games. Some of the absolute best of that DMC kind of style.

I am still very upset about her in Smash, because... she just stands out far too much and just desn't have the same credentials that we saw up-played with 3rd Parties.

Just....

Whatever.

I'll be quiet.

My voice clearly has been on deaf ears for DLC anyways.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Oh, thanks for bringing that up. We never really decided how the voting system worked, or how broken/unbroken it was.
Was it one vote per system? Or could people literally sit at their computer all day sending off votes for characters? I'll admit, as great an idea as the ballot was, it wasn't organized the best...
It's almost as if regardless of how many votes a character gets, the developers still have the say in the end because it's their game and they can do whatever they want.

Strange.

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
A character should be disqualified if it was ever rigged. Should have been a rule.

Can imagine everyone else having a thousand something amount of votes and Bayonneta having a trillion because someone kept voting

FancySmash

Smash Lord
This is going to sound a little weird.

I adore Bayonetta's dulogy f games. Some of the absolute best of that DMC kind of style.

I am still very upset about her in Smash, because... she just stands out far too much and just desn't have the same credentials that we saw up-played with 3rd Parties.

Just....

Whatever.

I'll be quiet.

My voice clearly has been on deaf ears for DLC anyways.
Another interesting point. Instead of throwing in Corrin, I think Sakurai should have picked a couple of characters that were high in the ballot. That way, it gives something to more fans, rather than only one fan base and marketing.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
You don't have a right to know.
They said back in April that the character with the highest votes is not guaranteed to make it into the roster. This wasn't a vote the fans were deciding. This was a vote to help Sakurai and his team gauge ideas.

gg
Why are you acting this way? You got your most wanted newcomer, a character who even Sakurai said was a "miracle/dream"

So now you want to rub salt? SMH

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A character should be disqualified if it was ever rigged. Should have been a rule.

Can imagine everyone else having a thousand something amount of votes and Bayonneta having a trillion because someone kept voting
In that scenario, someone who doesn't like the character would rig it out of spite. Besides. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta fans wouldn't be the only ones guilty *glares at literally everyone in this forum*

FancySmash

Smash Lord
In that scenario, someone who doesn't like the character would rig it out of spite. Besides. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta fans wouldn't be the only ones guilty *glares at literally everyone in this forum*
I never spammed votes. I only voted three times, from three separate devices, I swear! :laugh:

Hmm, in a way, I guess that's still rather immoral. Does it help if they were also three seperate characters?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not talented enough to rig a poll.

I don't buy it, Top 5 in USA and Number 1 in Europe? I'm cool with her addition, but don't lie to me about made up numbers to justify the decision. Just say that among the top voted characters, Sakurai felt she would be a good newcomer.

Younger generation? You mean he kids who aren't even allowed to play Bayonetta? Like I said, I think Bayonetta was an awesome third party choice, but don't lie about it

Plus, it's always heart warming to see the smug Bayonetta supporters try to rub salt in the wound, but lucky for me, I like Bayonetta. It's Corrin that's ridiculous and absurd
Younger generation does not imply children.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I spread out votes across a number of devices.

Waluigi
Anna (probaly moot for Smash 5 if we're just gonna keep shoving protagonists of the month in)
Bandana Dee
Black Mage (:4cloud: good to know that was a waste)
Shantae
Ganon
and Inklings.

If I had 2 more, it would've been for K. Rool and Isaac.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So now you want to rub salt? SMH
'I'm going to be smug when Spyro isn't confirmed tomorrow' Like you're any better
I never spammed votes. I only voted three times, from three separate devices, I swear! :laugh:

Hmm, in a way, I guess that's still rather immoral. Does it help if they were also three seperate characters?
Not really, in any other poll, you only get one vote period
What time does this thread close again? I'm bad with timezones

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Another interesting point. Instead of throwing in Corrin, I think Sakurai should have picked a couple of characters that were high in the ballot. That way, it gives something to more fans, rather than only one fan base and marketing.
I'm not sure I agree with cutting Corrin, they did a good enough job to where he/she does contribute a satisfactory amount to the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
'I'm going to be smug when Spyro isn't confirmed tomorrow' Like you're any better

Not really, in any other poll, you only get one vote period
What time does this thread close again? I'm bad with timezones
6 p.m. central. So if you are in the west coast, it will be 4 p.m. If you in the mid-west, 5 p.m., and 7 p.m for the east coast.

Came back here to check something. Found salt. Extremely salty about Bayonetta. Waiting to play Fates for Corrin

Also saw a lot of people not letting people be unhappy and a few being hypocritical.

But whatever that isn't what im here for.

What I am here for is this thread closing. Speculation ends but I made a group for a purpose. I would like to continue that purpose for here as well. . .even if you all chose to come here instead of there now you have less of a choice

http://smashboards.com/social-forums/social-character-support-threads.1812/

If you care for the community the gangs all here. Or at least it was. Just extending the invitation again. Just try to leave any bad habits here.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
That could have been a good alternative.

But maybe the real reason Corrin was added is that Sakurai wants to keep the tradition of adding Fire Emblem characters before their games are released.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I spread out votes across a number of devices.

Waluigi
Anna (probaly moot for Smash 5 if we're just gonna keep shoving protagonists of the month in)
Bandana Dee
Black Mage (:4cloud: good to know that was a waste)
Shantae
Ganon
and Inklings.

If I had 2 more, it would've been for K. Rool and Isaac.
How is this? I only voted one time on my computer, for Geno. I wrote Sakurai a nice message, even though I knew there was a .0000000000001% chance of seeing anything Super Mario RPG related in Smash. I guess Sakurai really liked what I wrote him

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
All in all, I cannot help but laugh at this whole experience.

More hours on this site than I spent playing Brawl.
More absurd speculation for the fun of it than I have had...since Brawl.
Characters that do not need to be justified because the only sole factor is Sakurai.

I've had a good time with all of this.
Corrin is ridiculous, and I love it. Its quite literally so infuriating that its hysterical. *This* did surprise me. And in a somewhat charming way.
I'm not ever going to have the roster I want. Brawl was damned close. This one...actually back tracked a good deal for me.
But, it doesnt matter. Its a game about mechanics, and that is why Ive always enjoyed playing Melee the most. (I recently picked it up again with friends in NYC, and damned, it was incredible. Such nostalgia with the roster, teaching one how to use advanced techniques a bit, even the unpolished charm). Melee is the best game in the series for me, and I couldn't admit that before Corrin's reveal.
Ultimately, I don't think Sakurai's intent was to utilize his initial concept, because he no longer needs to do so. In one of Source Gaming's articles, they go into a translation in which Sakurai only ever used the Nintendo IPs because he was afraid the fighting game wouldn't appeal to people on its own without recognizable IPs. Now that he knows it is successful- he doesn't need to give us characters we give a damn about. I do wish the mechanics were most fun, even casually, I think Melee is most fun. "Who cares about the characters," is something I can finally say.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm European, it's 6:43 now for me

Honestly, I think Corrin's dragon form is more than enough to sell her, and Bayo just looks crazy fun
I apologize, I am also horrible with time-zones; however, after some searching, it will close at 11 a.m. for you.

I agree though, Bayonetta just seems like something never before seen... in Smash.

Polan

Smash Lord

That basically disqualifies everyone. A lot of the supporter groups encouraged spamming and voting through multiple devices as well as fanpoll rigging to make it seem like their character was popular.

Doctor Luigi

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Thanks for everything Sakurai
I got what I wanted for the direct. And all I wanted were salty tears to drink and I got them.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Fire Emblem needing to use Smash a crutch actually makes me laugh a little tbh
I don't know why you keep pointing to Fire Emblem for doing this, more than that series has benefitted from being in Super Smash Brothers regardless of how many reps that series has. :0

Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know why you keep pointing to Fire Emblem for doing this, more than that series has benefitted from being in Super Smash Brothers regardless of how many reps that series has. :0

Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade?
Eh... Earthbound was going to have three games, and did so. It didnt really benefit from Smash, as the games still arent internationally released.
Kid Icarus might have benefitted from Sakurai, but Smash itself did very little, other than get Sakurai the resume to qualify revitalizing that game.
Xenoblade had a hardcore fanbase before Smash, and that is why it is in Smash.

Fire Emblem is in its own category regarding Smash, in every way. Just as the Mario Universe stands on its own tier, and the Pokemon have completely separate rules, now does Fire Emblem, the official third of the Smash Trinity of games. Sorry, Zelda.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Eh... Earthbound was going to have three games, and did so. It didnt really benefit from Smash, as the games still arent internationally released.
Kid Icarus might have benefitted from Sakurai, but Smash itself did very little, other than get Sakurai the resume to qualify revitalizing that game.
Xenoblade had a hardcore fanbase before Smash, and that is why it is in Smash.

Fire Emblem is in its own category regarding Smash, in every way. Just as the Mario Universe stands on its own tier, and the Pokemon have completely separate rules, now does Fire Emblem, the official third of the Smash Trinity of games. Sorry, Zelda.
Even then, Fire Emblem did relatively well even before Marth and Roy came into Melee. There are quite a few Fire Emblem games that are completely shirked off of Smash's radar, and they still managed to sell well.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
WOW.

What a direct THAT WAS. Tons of reveals, news, announcements, broken dreams, high hopes, costumes, characters, stages and overall an alright presentation all things considered. IMO, the two new adds to the series are ok but not overly my favorites.

Cloud looking as cool and awesome as always is a treat.

Corrin, which despite not being a FE fan like other people, I quite find him/her alright. One of the few FE characters that I can find myself supporting by who he/she is/does/appears. Sad that I don't have a 3DS to play the game of where he/she comes from since it is looking quite nice.

And the last but not least, the lady, the witch, the raven-haired sensual woman, BAYONETTA. OH BOY. She looked AMAZING for what it was. Her moves, her attitude, attacks and posing makes me think of her of a ZSS on steroids. She's surely going to be a threat to be reckoned with indeed.

And the kicker, she WAS the LAST character from the BALLOT of all things.

YEAH.

Well, can't say I'm alright with that since I kind of expected other characters but I'm not that overly mad. Just, stunned.

Well, can't wait for the three, whatever may come with SM4SH update wise and for the eventual 5mash on the NX or whatever console that comes next.

But indeed, that was as she said: SMASHING.

On the other hand, Let's wait for 5MASH if there is one. Hopefully more characters that we want to see still show up by then...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Even then, Fire Emblem did relatively well even before Marth and Roy came into Melee. There are quite a few Fire Emblem games that are completely shirked off of Smash's radar, and they still managed to sell well.
...the series almost went extinct.
Fire Emblem really did need Smash. The push helped the characters early on, and Awakening saved it.

mymerlincat

Smash Cadet
You know, at this point I'd really expect people to have confidence in Nintendo that any character they add is going to be great (they have all been so far), but I guess not. Just gotta whine and complain that your character wasn't in there.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I sometimes do wonder. If I have played any FE games, Final Fantasy, or Bayonetta. Would my opinion and reaction for these last 3 DLC characters be different? I really don't know.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
...the series almost went extinct.
Fire Emblem really did need Smash. The push helped the characters early on, and Awakening saved it.
Sales for the game were pretty average before Melee added Marth and Roy, and even then, most people who have played Smash didn't care enough to even look into Marth and Roy's homegame. There are even still people who are a part of this group now, and look at how many characters they have. If anything, Fire Emblem's western interests were paved by Advance Wars more than Melee.

On a Side Note; I'd like to say that I'm genuinely hyped for Corrin even though I have absolutely no plans to play Fire Emblem Fates :p

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well, thinking about it now, it really does depress me about what's to come of King K. Rool and Isaac. I'm guessing Sakurai has banished them to the Ridely realm (that's what I'll call it). With a mii costume for the croc king, and a removed assist trophy (not to mention a removed series), it seems Sakurai is telling us that these are two that will never see the light of Smash, like Ridely and Chrom. It's a shame too, because out of every group on this board, I really saw the K. Rool group (preffered term the Kutthroats) really doing the most to get their character out there. It really feels depressing to see them kicked so low. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this way?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sales for the game were pretty average before Melee added Marth and Roy, and even then, most people who have played Smash didn't care enough to even look into Marth and Roy's homegame. There are even still people who are a part of this group now, and look at how many characters they have. If anything, Fire Emblem's western interests were paved by Advance Wars more than Melee
I don't understand this logic at all.
You start with a generalization about most people (which happens to directly contradict the people I spoke to when I was 11- when melee came out. It being the only characters unavailable in the West were really intriguing).
Additionally, they werent available outside of Japan before Melee!! Of course Melee paved the way for them, this is without question. Didnt Sakurai even confirm this, directly?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Even if you're mad about the outcome or are ridiculously excited for Bayonetta, you've got to admit, whether outwardly, or in that darkest crater of your mind where your true opinions, horrible or otherwise rest, that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, that she was in the top 5 in North America.

Top 10, sure. I personally don't believe it, but acknowledge the possibility. And forget the argument for "maybe Mickey Mouse and Goku and Shrek were in the top 5", they were'nt. they were thrown out. You can't honestly believe more genuine votes in NA went to her than Snake, Wolf and the Inklings plus some combination of Ice Climbers, Isaac, K. Rool, Dixie, Waddle Dee, and whoever else Nintendo already owns.

And I'm not "hurt" because my character didn't make it in. (I voted once for Bomber-man and left it at that). I'm just genuinely irked that they announced that she was the "winner".

Had they said of the highest requested submissions , she, to the development team, seemed most interesting, and that they chose her and were excited to present her to us, I would have accepted it. But to declare her the "winner" is indeed fishy.

There are the obvious legal and technical reasons why Snake, Inklings and the Ice Climbers were likely passed over, but as complicated and intricate as she appears, it's clear she was chosen, and not by us, by them.

And why not throw in how she did in the Japanese votes? Who did they want? They may worship Corrin and Cloud for all I know, but I bet none of the 3 were in their top 5 either.

"Of your top suggestions, this is who we chose". That's all I need to feel like something's not being kept from me.

They never had to make the winner, but that doesn't mean they can declare the most "realizable" character the "winner".

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I was expecting Wolf and King Rool, but instead we got Corrin and Bayonetta. I'm cool with these characters. Admittedly, I didn't vote for them, but their movesets look really fun. I'm looking the most forward to playing as Bayonetta. February can't come soon enough.

Some people might feel Bayonetta doesn't deserve to be in, but I disagree. She's popular, unique, and received a ton of votes in the ballot. With her being ranked number 1 in Europe, and being ranked top 5 (or was it top 10?) in the US says a lot.

As for Corrin, I knew there would be a ton of salt when he was revealed. People will disagree with me on this, but it doesn't matter how many slots a series have. This made up rule that certain series can't have more slots than another series needs to stop. When deciding characters, they look to see if the character is popular, relevant, visually appealing, and/or brings something new to Smash. Corrin isn't just some basic sword user because if he was Sakurai probably wouldn't have been added him in. I mean, just look at Chrom.

Despite some missing veterans, I think this roster is amazing and the added dlc made it more amazing. I mean come on, an HD fighting game where I can play as Pac-Man, Mewtwo, Lemmy Koopa, and Ryu?! That's just too good. I appreciate all of the extra content Sakurai and his team made for us.

Morbi

Scavenger
I sometimes do wonder. If I have played any FE games, Final Fantasy, or Bayonetta. Would my opinion and reaction for these last 3 DLC characters be different? I really don't know.
Probably, you would have had the chance to experience some sort of attachment to the character and once they were unexpectedly revealed, perhaps you might have appreciated them a little bit more (or potentially less depending on how you felt about them after you learned more). Albeit, you could still play their games after the fact and your opinion might change for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom