• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do you guys think the direct will be?
As this is the last one, I'm expecting a solid hour of juicy Sm4sh content.

:snake:
I'm thinking it's a hour as well.

I really don't know do I want it to be longer than hour, it airs on 12 PM here, and I have school next day, and I'd like to watch the whole presentation. If it's longer than a hour, I might not be able to.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm thinking it's a hour as well.

I really don't know do I want it to be longer than hour, it airs on 12 PM here, and I have school next day, and I'd like to watch the whole presentation. If it's longer than a hour, I might not be able to.
1 hour is a long time for a presentation for just one game, keep in mind...of course pretty much everything's going to get revealed, but they most likely won't be talking too much about one thing for it to be so long...I recon about 40mins give or take...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm thinking 15-25 minutes, I personally don't think Mr. Sakurai and friends will have enough content for him to talk about for more than 30 minutes on, but I'd definitely prefer if it were a hour long, that would be great.

1 hour is a long time for a presentation for just one game, keep in mind...of course pretty much everything's going to get revealed, but they most likely won't be talking too much about one thing for it to be so long...I recon about 40mins give or take...
Yeah, I guess you're right. 40 (or 45) mins sounds more plausible. It's better for me if it's less than a hour, because the shorter it is, the more likely I'll be able to watch the whole presentation.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm guessing somewhere between half an hour and forty-five minutes. The other Smash presentations were about half an hour, but this one might go longer since it's the last one.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Character reveals don't take long, at most they take 5-6 minutes if they have to explain the character's mechanics (like Ryu and most likely Cloud this time around). That would add up to at most 15 minutes only on characters assuming we get three characters including Cloud. I can't see the direct going on for more than half an hour if that, what are they going to fill the rest of the space with? New Mii costumes?

Unless they have some kind of surprise in store for us that is.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Ok... let me tell you something as fire emblem fan
Fire emblem is a very big saga maybe compared to Pokémon in terms of size, it has a lot of good options but unfortunately almost all main lords are limited to swords that's why Marth (FE1) Roy (FE6) Ike (FE9) and Lucina (FE13) use sword, but Robin is special, I'm talking for all FE fans when I say than Robin is a great addition to Smash why? , s/he is not the main lord of his/her game, s/he is only the tactician, but is a character who can use magic and this magic is limited just like FE weapons, and this is a great addition because it says to all people who don't know the game than the game is not only swords (also the logo of the saga is a sword) that's the reason maybe another character with another weapon will fit well, Ephraim or Azura are lance fighters or maybe Hector (he use an axe will be in place of Lucina or Ike but Robin is fine
Ok, a lot of folks seem to be under the impression that I don't want anymore Fire Emblem characters because I don't like the series or don't understand the units, but that is totally not true. I have been playing Fire Emblem since Blazing Sword was released in the states. I absolutely loved the game and it prompted me to search out the Japanese only titles and play those in-between each new release. I just checked my 3DS log, I have over 150+ hours in Awakening. I played through all DLC and leveled my units to 20/20 a multitude of times in order to get every skill on every character. Want to verse my team? You better be prepared, since they carry mostly Breaker, Vantage, Counter and Galewind skills, have max stats and completely overpowered forged weapons. In the two GBA versions, Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, my units are unstoppable in the arena since I have the best stats, supports and weapons. (I do not like the way they split the classes with Fates, they should have kept every class in both versions, ugh) Now that is out of the way...

I personally feel that Marth and Ike are the two most popular lords in Fire Emblem fandom, with Ike probably being the most popular. They represent the lords of the series well. The Fire Emblem fan within me has a better suggestion than to keep adding lords as fighters. Why not classes? Instead of picking a unique character from the series, just use a class. For example, imagine a "Warrior" class was added, and the newcomer was simply "Warrior". I think that would be balls to the walls amazing. My favorite class is the Beserker, but with Warrior, he can use axes and bows. Instead of Robin, I wish they would have added a basic Sage or Druid, that only used magic, no Levin Sword. I feel the Levin Sword defeats the purpose of having a magic user. Imagine they added a General? Or a Halberdier? Dread Fighter? Those classes are the classes I think could bring the most variety to Smash Bros., based on the weapons they use. Hero, Swrormaster and other sword wielding classes are already present with Marth and Ike.

Better yet, imagine a true Fire Emblem stage with Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Lords flying around in the background, fighting among one another and occasionally picking on fighters? For example, if a fighter were to attack a Pegasus Knight, then the other Pegasus Knights would attack that fighter, while the Wyvern Lords would help that fighter. Kind of like picking a side. Castle Siege was the biggest let down ever, but the Coliseum stage was a major improvement.

There are many possibilities for Fire Emblem, but I do not think simply adding lords and avatars is the correct way to represent it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh hell yeah I like that idea of you SuperNintendoDisney SuperNintendoDisney of just adding Fire Emblem classes to the roster, and having multiple important heroes from those classes be represented like that! I'd be estatic to see characters as Sages, Pegasus Knights, Heroes, Berserkers and Paladins! It'd be extremely difficult to acchieve this all, but damn, how nice would it be?

Marth and Ike indeed are a whole league above all other Fire Emblem characters in term of popularity and importance. I sincerely hope they keep being relevant to the series as a whole. I think that Marth might eventually get a 3rd adventure only because of this, or his actual descendants prior to Chrom and Lucina. Same might happen with Ike, and Tellius Saga getting a remake. Am pretty sure that Robin and Lucina will be forgotten sooner or later.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Character reveals don't take long, at most they take 5-6 minutes if they have to explain the character's mechanics (like Ryu and most likely Cloud this time around). That would add up to at most 15 minutes only on characters assuming we get three characters including Cloud. I can't see the direct going on for more than half an hour if that, what are they going to fill the rest of the space with? New Mii costumes?

Unless they have some kind of surprise in store for us that is.
That time frame would include reveal trailers, keep in mind...since we all know Cloud is coming there really isn't a point in giving us his reveal trailer...They may (similarly to e3's presentation) start off the Direct with a new character reveal, to which Sakurai then speaks about that character...then proceeds to talk about Cloud and his mechanics...

We are likely to get at least two more stages given the placeholders, so we are probably going to get that, in addition to a bunch of Mii costumes to go with the Chocobo hat...such as Black Mage, Slime, Geno, Tifa, Barret, Sephiroth, Zack, etc...as well as Nintendo themed costumes; Midna's Fused Shadow I can almost guarantee, similarly to Majora's Mask being made to coincide with Majora's Mask 3D...and some others Sakurai may throw at us...
Possibly include some new modes, as well as speak about the Ballot...There is a lot for them to cover, especially if they've been working on other things that we don't know about...also amiibos...

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Oh hell yeah I like that idea of you SuperNintendoDisney SuperNintendoDisney of just adding Fire Emblem classes to the roster, and having multiple important heroes from those classes be represented like that! I'd be estatic to see characters as Sages, Pegasus Knights, Heroes, Berserkers and Paladins! It'd be extremely difficult to acchieve this all, but damn, how nice would it be?

Marth and Ike indeed are a whole league above all other Fire Emblem characters in term of popularity and importance. I sincerely hope they keep being relevant to the series as a whole. I think that Marth might eventually get a 3rd adventure only because of this, or his actual descendants prior to Chrom and Lucina. Same might happen with Ike, and Tellius Saga getting a remake. Am pretty sure that Robin and Lucina will be forgotten sooner or later.
I know, if they decided to do that and add classes as newcomers, I wouldn't even ind if there were five more Fire Emblem newcomers. They could create an entirely new unit but have the eyes shaded out so you can barely see their face, kind of like Captain Falcon, which would give these newcomers a sense of mystery to them. Imagine the alternate costumes then? They could actually add some of the lesser known characters as one-shot alternate costumes as a bonus if they chose. Playing as a Dread Fighter, or better yet, Beserker in Smash Bros., so awesome. Picture playing as a Paladin and getting knocked off stage, horse and all.

I don't think you have to worry about Marth and Ike. Marth is the main Fire Emblem lord and poster lord of the series. Intelligent Systems has stated many times in the past that they favor Marth and his world over all of the others. Awakening and the DS Remakes secured Marth's role as the main lord. Ike on the other hand is unique because out of all the other lords, he seems to be the most popular and fan favorite. His backstory and tale are above and beyond most of the others, plus he was the star of two games. Genealogy of the Holy War is one game that could give Ike a run for his money, but its Japanese only, and will likely be the next Fire Emblem game they remake, if they continue remaking the games. The other game series that would be most popular beside Ike is the Binding Blade / Blazing Sword series, which is my personal favorite as well. The issue is that no single lord from those games is as popular as Ike, and Roy is already in the game, but it can be argued much of his popularity comes from Melee anyway.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Yeah there really aren't anywhere near enough Fire Emblem characters on this game yet.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
look at this objectively wrong position. hopin you trollin.
No man, really. Fire Emblem is a huge franchise and really needs more attention. Having the total number of playable fighters go from 2 to 5 in the space of a game just isn't enough for this totally not a niche franchise whose important characters are largely similar.

Last edited:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476
Ok, a lot of folks seem to be under the impression that I don't want anymore Fire Emblem characters because I don't like the series or don't understand the units, but that is totally not true. I have been playing Fire Emblem since Blazing Sword was released in the states. I absolutely loved the game and it prompted me to search out the Japanese only titles and play those in-between each new release. I just checked my 3DS log, I have over 150+ hours in Awakening. I played through all DLC and leveled my units to 20/20 a multitude of times in order to get every skill on every character. Want to verse my team? You better be prepared, since they carry mostly Breaker, Vantage, Counter and Galewind skills, have max stats and completely overpowered forged weapons. In the two GBA versions, Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones, my units are unstoppable in the arena since I have the best stats, supports and weapons. (I do not like the way they split the classes with Fates, they should have kept every class in both versions, ugh) Now that is out of the way...

I personally feel that Marth and Ike are the two most popular lords in Fire Emblem fandom, with Ike probably being the most popular. They represent the lords of the series well. The Fire Emblem fan within me has a better suggestion than to keep adding lords as fighters. Why not classes? Instead of picking a unique character from the series, just use a class. For example, imagine a "Warrior" class was added, and the newcomer was simply "Warrior". I think that would be balls to the walls amazing. My favorite class is the Beserker, but with Warrior, he can use axes and bows. Instead of Robin, I wish they would have added a basic Sage or Druid, that only used magic, no Levin Sword. I feel the Levin Sword defeats the purpose of having a magic user. Imagine they added a General? Or a Halberdier? Dread Fighter? Those classes are the classes I think could bring the most variety to Smash Bros., based on the weapons they use. Hero, Swrormaster and other sword wielding classes are already present with Marth and Ike.

Better yet, imagine a true Fire Emblem stage with Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Lords flying around in the background, fighting among one another and occasionally picking on fighters? For example, if a fighter were to attack a Pegasus Knight, then the other Pegasus Knights would attack that fighter, while the Wyvern Lords would help that fighter. Kind of like picking a side. Castle Siege was the biggest let down ever, but the Coliseum stage was a major improvement.

There are many possibilities for Fire Emblem, but I do not think simply adding lords and avatars is the correct way to represent it.
This would be a really interesting way to represent the series. I like the idea because you can have side characters represented as costumes instead of just playable lords.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
No man, really. Fire Emblem is a huge franchise and really needs more attention. Having the total number of playable fighters go from 2 to 5 in the space of a game just isn't enough for this totally not a niche franchise whose important characters are largely similar.
oh well then i agree. we need sword dude #6 and sword lady #3 and perhaps we can even get european-looking sword man and japanese-looking sword man from the new fe comin' up. gotta get more boring anime design in here. how many more omnislash/critical hit ripoffs and counter-users can we get? only goes up from here boyz.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I really dig this fire emblem idea, and FE has always been a series that is "problematic" to represent properly.

they change main characters nearly every game and while you want to represent them so often the "main" character isn't a good representation of what the series is about and theres far too many characters to give them all a spot and then doing what sakurai has been doing, just adding new characters from different itterations of the franchise, causes the problem we have now that the characters will be forgotten but now they have a spot on the roster with a unique moveset etc... and people will want them to return for that but FE fans won't really care much about the character themselves. its lose lose.

repping many characters under the different classes is a genius idea...too bad we are this far gone now cause it simply can't be "fixed" for future smash games.

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
But what are your opinions on us getting more modes, as opposed to just stages and characters? I always felt as if WiiU was a tad disappointing as far as possible solo modes go. I pretty much only ever use Special orders and Classic mode. People talk about an adventure mode type thing, maybe something new could come too. I really feel like that would be one of the best possible additions.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
not feeling it. best i figure'll be some more 8ps compatability, new music/trophies to collect, and that's that.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I doubt that, Lucina especially is extremely popular and with those amiibos they're gonna keep popping up places after Code name steam, fates and Mario Maker

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I doubt that, Lucina especially is extremely popular and with those amiibos they're gonna keep popping up places after Code name steam, fates and Mario Maker
Its minor exposure, if Lucina will continue to remain in Smash Bros. sequels, she is going to have to settle for alternate costume or DLC. There is no way every single character can be kept in the initial release, with over 50 characters now. Lucina is a low priority

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Its minor exposure, if Lucina will continue to remain in Smash Bros. sequels, she is going to have to settle for alternate costume or DLC. There is no way every single character can be kept in the initial release, with over 50 characters now. Lucina is a low priority
I don't see a reason for that though, it's not like slots exist so adding her with barely any changes from this game isn't an issue and she's popular enough to be worth adding again, same goes with Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, cutting them only makes you loose characters that people like

Last edited:

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596

That's a great idea but they can't put simple classes in smash because they don't are iconic characters, maybe popular characters with those clases will be a better idea for example Micaiah as a Sage or someone else, warrior is a very good class but in FE fates this class was removed:/

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I don't see a reason for that though, it's not like slots exist so adding her with barely any changes from this game isn't an issue and she's popular enough to be worth adding again, same goes with Dark Pit and Doctor Mario, cutting them only makes you loose characters that people like
No one even likes D. Pit. At least Doc and Lucina actually play different to a a considerable and noticeable degree. D. Pit literally has only 3 differences from pit.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
No one even likes D. Pit. At least Doc and Lucina actually play different to a a considerable and noticeable degree. D. Pit literally has only 3 differences from pit.
But he's still got a decent following though and those 3 differences just make him easier to add in again and if they really wanted to they could give him a little more time and change a few more things

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nairo disagrees...

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I believe this thread should be renamed "Smash 5 General Discussion".

Seriously, there's no point in discussing what should have been. How the clones "should have" been handled. How the 3DS "should have" not existed. How FE "should have" been excluded to Marth and Ike.

Sakurai isn't going to change this for DLC so why bother?

:023:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think about an hour or an hour and 30 minutes
Damn that's pretty long.
I hope you're right XD.
My body wouldn't be able to contain all that hype. Are you guys trying to get me killed or somethin?

In all seriousness though, I expect this to be only half an hour long. Longer than the June Presentation but shorter than the April Direct from last year and the 50 Fact Extravaganza. I'd like to be wrong of course and have the Presentation be longer than that but that's just my expectation going in.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Also, I'm not going to lie...

Even though I like Ryu I find his addition to be somewhat bland. Like, he's appeared in so many crossovers that his inclusion seems sort of, "meh" to me. Plus he just doesn't come off as all that interesting. Even his gimmick isn't all that special. It's just a few extra moves that honestly don't fit well within the game. At the end of the day I'm happy that he's in, but he didn't make me get out of my seat and go like, "WTF!"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Even though I like Ryu I find his addition to be somewhat bland. Like, he's appeared in so many crossovers that his inclusion seems sort of, "meh" to me. Plus he just doesn't come off as all that interesting. Even his gimmick isn't all that special. It's just a few extra moves that honestly don't fit well within the game. At the end of the day I'm happy that he's in, but he didn't make me get out of my seat and go like, "WTF!"
Your post says you think Ryu is bland, but your signature says you hold him in a high regard.
I think Ryu's pretty great. The King of Fighting Games gets to be in a completely new type of fighter.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Your post says you think Ryu is bland, but your signature says you hold him in a high regard.
I think Ryu's pretty great. The King of Fighting Games gets to be in a completely new type of fighter.
"Even though I like Ryu..."

I still think he's bland, but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of my favorite fighting game characters. I just wasn't impressed by his addition.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Even though I like Ryu..."

I still think he's bland, but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of my favorite fighting game characters. I just wasn't impressed by his addition.
I don't know, it just seems like saying you like one of your favorite fighting game characters being added while calling said inclusion bland is somewhat oxymoronic.

My body wouldn't be able to contain all that hype. Are you guys trying to get me killed or somethin?

In all seriousness though, I expect this to be only half an hour long. Longer than the June Presentation but shorter than the April Direct from last year and the 50 Fact Extravaganza. I'd like to be wrong of course and have the Presentation be longer than that but that's just my expectation going in.
I expect it to be Nintendo Direct-length, to be honest.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

To each his own...

Ryu pronably would've brought a lot more hype had he not been leaked...twice...

However I think his gimmick is decent....he basically brings Street Fighter into Smash with since you have to have a more technical mindset with it as opposed to blindly Smashing...not to mention it can really add a new dynamic that other fighters can work with in the future (hopefully not too much though Smash shouldn't be a complicated game afterall)...

Another thing to consider the inputs added are about as iconic as Ryu himself...pretty much anyone who's played Street Fighter in their lives can recognise the hadouken and shoryuken inputs from anywhere...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I expect it to be Nintendo Direct-length, to be honest.
I would love for that personally. I just don't expect that to happen really. I'm even unsure about it making a full half an hour lol.

I feel like this is now or never for Wolf, regardless if we're getting DLC afterwards
SF Zero to the rescue

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

The Mii's grabbed the class gimmick. This works well with them because all their alternative specials are completely different from each other rather than variations.

Also, Lucina and Roy are versions of Marth. Do you space with your sword, do you rush in, or do you do whatever you want?

I think Robin was a great addition. And I always scream for no more Fire Emblem characters. I screamed pre-Brawl, but loved Ike. And I screamed pre-Smash4 and loved Robin. There might be a lesson in there, somewhere.

Robin represents a mage quite well with different elemental attacks and represents RPG traits, such as spell and weapon limits and spell advancement.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If I were to choose between having Lucina cut, or have her to be a costume ala /OlimarAlph.....I'd choose the costume. But really, all I want is the ROSTER TO BE IN ****ING SERIES ORDER / rant.

The curse of adding characters is......there will always be people who want them back, and some (like me) who want everyone back even if it's just because they played as them.
Which is why adding so many 3rd parties as DLC may not be a good thing, as they could be cut like Snake.

Doesn't stop me from having 4 newcomer 3rd parties on my wishlist. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Thing is that people wanted Krystal instead, at least over here. Wolf was the Dark Pit of Brawl, really
ROB was the Dark Pit of Brawl, consideirng his inclusion had nothing to do with popularity. And are you really questioning the director of the game, who would have a much better grasp of who was popular than anyone else as he is the one whom requests are sent to? Besides, I'm pretty sure people who were around since Melee, like ChronoBound, would be able to corroborate Wolf's fan demand.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So if there's any remaining third party characters left, here's what I want to see (Fighters, Stages, and Mii Costumes).

Super Smash Bros X Final Fantasy
Fighter: Cloud
Stage: Midgar
Mii Costumes: Chocobo (Brawler), Tidus (Swordfighter), Black Mage (Gunner)

Super Smash Bros X Crash Bandicoot

Fighter: Crash Bandicoot
Stage: N' Sanity Island
Mii Costumes: Crunch Bandicoot (Brawler), Cortex (Gunner)

Super Smash Bros X Banjo & Kazooie
Fighter: Banjo & Kazooie
Stage: Spiral Mountain
Mii Costumes: Bottles (Brawler), Gruntilda (Swordfighter), Mumbo Jumbo (Gunner)

Super Smash Bros X Metal Gear Solid

Fighter: Snake
Stage: Shadow Moses Island
Mii Costumes: Psyco Mantis (Brawler), Gray Fox (Swordfighter), Ocelot (Gunner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom