• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't know man.

Can't we just pretend that Goku's chances of being in smash are much higher now ever since ryu...er I mean cloud was announced? :p
Hopefully the chances are non-existent... As much as I love DBZ.

That's Enough! You were Stupid Enough To Confess and Even More Stupid To Boast, Every Thing You've Said is Fuel on Your Funeral Pyre!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's this? People not giving me credit?!

Just wait until Duke Nukem gets added...
Let me guess. His release date will continue to be delayed only for him to be the most underwhelming character on the roster? :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Feeling pretty confident in getting at least one character I've been supporting since day 1 actually. King K.Rool, Isaac, Impa and Dixie, I think chances are quite good we'd get at least one of them. I dunno why, just a gut feeling I've had for a while.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
After posting my previous post, i'm actually starting to think that having Crash in the game is the best choice for any remaining third party DLC.

His sheer popularity and iconicness (is that even a word lol) really puts him ahead of the likes of Banjo and Rayman (both of whom can't even match Crash's sales even with their combined sales). He would also be one of the very few Western characters in Smash which is a breath of fresh air given that very few exist on the roster.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Feeling pretty confident in getting at least one character I've been supporting since day 1 actually. King K.Rool, Isaac, Impa and Dixie, I think chances are quite good we'd get at least one of them. I dunno why, just a gut feeling I've had for a while.
If third parties are done with Cloud, I agree. I think those four along with Inklings are definitely very likely, maybe Bandanna Dee more likely than Impa. Nonetheless, if third parties are done, it's very, very probable that we'll get one of those four (fingers crossed for K. Rool).

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
Robin will be forgotten as soon as the next Fire Emblem avatar lord replaces him. Robin, is the only character ever added to Smash that I really thought "Why". At least Palutena was the second Kid Icarus newcomer, but did Fire Emblem really need a third fighter? Not really, two fighters was enough for a series of its magnitude.
Ok... let me tell you something as fire emblem fan
Fire emblem is a very big saga maybe compared to Pokémon in terms of size, it has a lot of good options but unfortunately almost all main lords are limited to swords that's why Marth (FE1) Roy (FE6) Ike (FE9) and Lucina (FE13) use sword, but Robin is special, I'm talking for all FE fans when I say than Robin is a great addition to Smash why? , s/he is not the main lord of his/her game, s/he is only the tactician, but is a character who can use magic and this magic is limited just like FE weapons, and this is a great addition because it says to all people who don't know the game than the game is not only swords (also the logo of the saga is a sword) that's the reason maybe another character with another weapon will fit well, Ephraim or Azura are lance fighters or maybe Hector (he use an axe will be in place of Lucina or Ike but Robin is fine

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Ok... let me tell you something as fire emblem fan
Fire emblem is a very big saga maybe compared to Pokémon in terms of size, it has a lot of good options but unfortunately almost all main lords are limited to swords that's why Marth (FE1) Roy (FE6) Ike (FE9) and Lucina (FE13) use sword, but Robin is special, I'm talking for all FE fans when I say than Robin is a great addition to Smash why? , s/he is not the main lord of his/her game, s/he is only the tactician, but is a character who can use magic and this magic is limited just like FE weapons, and this is a great addition because it says to all people who don't know the game than the game is not only swords (also the logo of the saga is a sword) that's the reason maybe another character with another weapon will fit well, Ephraim or Azura are lance fighters or maybe Hector (he use an axe will be in place of Lucina or Ike but Robin is fine
I'm neutral on this FE rep talk but... I think he was wondering why Sakurai added a third Fire Emblem rep (because he feels FE is overrepresented), not why Sakurai added Robin specifically.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
all of yall are just setting up for heartbreak, i'm tellin ya. this is the end of major smash 4 development, there's not gonna be a dlc pack afterward, there's not gonna be some crazy first-or-third-party character later on down the line, this is the end of the line. cloud is it. the dec. 15 direct is sakurai's farewell, and nothing more aside from some information.

cloud + pichu + wolf

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
all of yall are just setting up for heartbreak, i'm tellin ya. this is the end of major smash 4 development, there's not gonna be a dlc pack afterward, there's not gonna be some crazy first-or-third-party character later on down the line, this is the end of the line. cloud is it. the dec. 15 direct is sakurai's farewell, and nothing more aside from some information.

cloud + pichu + wolf
Then I hope to see you on a character's "I was wrong" thread if he/she isn't one of those three

:023:

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Hopefully an adventure mode like they had in Melee or maybe Break the Targets returning. I liked how in the first two games, Break the Targets used the characters' different moves in fun puzzle-ish ways sometimes.
I don't think we'll ever get Melee-style Target Tests back ever again. The roster is very big now and so making 50+ stages for the roster would require a lot of work.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we'll ever get Melee-style Target Tests back ever again. The roster is very big now and so making 50+ stages for the roster would require a lot of work.
Smash Tour probably required a lot of work too. However, maybe they could put their efforts towards something that would actually be used. :awesome:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This. I didn't mind the generic Target Tests even if they weren't as good. The old ones are pretty much done for. I just wish Race to the Finish came back. Maybe it was too hard to balance around over 30 characters in Brawl?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That really depends...we don't know how long each aspect of DLC the team has been working on...it is possible that they could've started work on a Break the Targets or Adventure Mode since the base game finished development, knowing that DLC will be possible and they'll have an extra year or two to work on it...

Characters do take a while to make but that doesn't mean they are only focusing on said characters and nothing else...of course that's just a 'what if' Angry Target Bird Blast is likely all we'll get in that regard...

----

On another note, Just imagine how much different the game would've been if Sakurai would've focused solely on Smash for Wii U instead of making a 3DS version...
Ice Climbers
Wolf, Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo would've likely made the initial roster (as a result possibly better DLC characters in their place after launch)
Dedede's side B with Waddle dees instead of just Gordo's
Olimar would have more pikmin
A proper Adventure Mode or even a SSE 2
Break The Targets
MORE NEW CHARACTERS...and stages...

It could've been possible they would've been able to sell more Wii U consoles as well since I would imagine a lot of Smash fans that owned the 3DS wouldn't even bother getting the other system for a game they already have...

this version of Smash seems to have had a lot more compromise than any other version simply because of time constraints...

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
That really depends...we don't know how long each aspect of DLC the team has been working on...it is possible that they could've started work on a Break the Targets or Adventure Mode since the base game finished development, knowing that DLC will be possible and they'll have an extra year or two to work on it...

Characters do take a while to make but that doesn't mean they are only focusing on said characters and nothing else...of course that's just a 'what if' Angry Target Bird Blast is likely all we'll get in that regard...

----

On another note, Just imagine how much different the game would've been if Sakurai would've focused solely on Smash for Wii U instead of making a 3DS version...
Ice Climbers
Wolf, Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo would've likely made the initial roster (as a result possibly better DLC characters in their place after launch)
Dedede's side B with Waddle dees instead of just Gordo's
Olimar would have more pikmin
A proper Adventure Mode or even a SSE 2
Break The Targets
MORE NEW CHARACTERS...and stages...

It could've been possible they would've been able to sell more Wii U consoles as well since I would imagine a lot of Smash fans that owned the 3DS wouldn't even bother getting the other system for a game they already have...

this version of Smash seems to have had a lot more compromise than any other version simply because of time constraints...
lawl, you got this in reverse dawg. smash 4 was gonna be 3ds-exclusive, ninty put pressure on sakurai to do the two-version shuffle.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
lawl, you got this in reverse dawg. smash 4 was gonna be 3ds-exclusive, ninty put pressure on sakurai to do the two-version shuffle.
Do you perchance have a source for this? because I find it highly unlikely that Sakurai intended to make Smash 4 3DS exclusive especially given the previous three iterations all appeared on the main console at the time, and not the handheld of that generation...plus that's basically deliberately limiting himself to weaker hardware from the beginning as opposed to going ham with the Wii U and it's HD quality...and compromising himself with the 3DS which he had to make cuts and changes because of it's limitations...

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Do you perchance have a source for this? because I find it highly unlikely that Sakurai intended to make Smash 4 3DS exclusive especially given the previous three iterations all appeared on the main console at the time, and not the handheld of that generation...plus that's basically deliberately limiting himself to weaker hardware from the beginning as opposed to going ham with the Wii U and it's HD quality...and compromising himself with the 3DS which he had to make cuts and changes because of it's limitations...
Sakurai himself said that he considers smash 3ds to be smash 4. wii u was gonna be smash 5 but ninty wanted that double-version of the game. so icies were DOA no matter what. peace.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would be hilarious to see how many people would post on the "I was wrong" thread if Pichu made it in.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Sakurai himself said that he considers smash 3ds to be smash 4. wii u was gonna be smash 5 but ninty wanted that double-version of the game. so icies were DOA no matter what. peace.
No source?...k

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
ok...from the sounds of it the intentions were for them to be 'somewhat' different games initially but instead they are just two different versions of the same game like they are now...from what Sakurai described they basically were going to be different versions of the same game anyway...with the stages being the only real difference between the two, there really was no point in calling one Smash 4 and the other Smash 5...

I still feel Smash is best kept on the home platform instead of handhelds...They could however have done a Smash64 3D remake or something for the 3DS which would've been cool...less time spent on the 3DS and more time dedicated to making the Wii U version the best it can be, rather than having hardware limitations, and the development of pretty much two games hold it back...

To be fair with the Ice Climbers though, Sakurai had no idea that they would cause as much problems as they did especially since they ARE complete, just not compatible with the 3DS's hardware...

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
ok...from the sounds of it the intentions were for them to be 'somewhat' different games initially but instead they are just two different versions of the same game like they are now...from what Sakurai described they basically were going to be different versions of the same game anyway...with the stages being the only real difference between the two, there really was no point in calling one Smash 4 and the other Smash 5...

I still feel Smash is best kept on the home platform instead of handhelds...They could however have done a Smash64 3D remake or something for the 3DS which would've been cool...less time spent on the 3DS and more time dedicated to making the Wii U version the best it can be, rather than having hardware limitations, and the development of pretty much two games hold it back...

To be fair with the Ice Climbers though, Sakurai had no idea that they would cause as much problems as they did especially since they ARE complete, just not compatible with the 3DS's hardware...
lol if you think the wii u matters worth a damn even in japan. the 3ds is the undisputed king of consoles over there, bar ****ing none. making smash for wii u probably felt like a waste of time.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
lol if you think the wii u matters worth a damn even in japan. the 3ds is the undisputed king of consoles over there, bar ****ing none. making smash for wii u probably felt like a waste of time.
well yeah...handheld titles are preferred in Japan...Why do you think the GameBoy and DS handhelds did so well when they were introduced?...

Doesn't change the fact that the Wii U has better hardware, and more time and effort put solely into the Wii U version would've produced a much better product on it's own than it does with the 3DS...as stated Smash is a console seller and since more people owned the 3DS there was little need to purchase a $250 plus console when you can just buy a $40 plus game that goes with a console you already have...

ask anyone who owns both which version they prefer...I can almost guarantee that the majority of them will tell you the Wii U version is superior, heck some people even despise the 3DS, simply because of the absence of the Ice Climbers on it's own...

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
well yeah...handheld titles are preferred in Japan...Why do you think the GameBoy and DS handhelds did so well when they were introduced?...

Doesn't change the fact that the Wii U has better hardware, and more time and effort put solely into the Wii U version would've produced a much better product on it's own than it does with the 3DS...as stated Smash is a console seller and since more people owned the 3DS there was little need to purchase a $250 plus console when you can just buy a $40 plus game that goes with a console you already have...

ask anyone who owns both which version they prefer...I can almost guarantee that the majority of them will tell you the Wii U version is superior, heck some people even despise the 3DS, simply because of the absence of the Ice Climbers on it's own...
you make big games for systems that people own, and you really don't think that smash 3ds moved 3ds units, especially n3ds due to c-stick functionality? el oh el. wii u is lucky to have smash, and even then it only applies in the usa. japan just lols at home consoles, and they're not as hungry for crazy HD stuff as we are. again, wii u took the back burner for a big ****ing reason, that it just wasn't that important. i know i play smash 3ds a lot more than smash wii u, even while owning gc adapters and controllers. icies were probably planned to be absent from smash 3ds(4) and gonna enter wii u(5), but then the ~dual release~ mentality happened and welp.

this is also the ****ing reason between 60-80% of any nintendo direct is dedicated to 3ds games, because no one, and i mean ****ing no one owns a wii u or cares to own one.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I think they should have waited for the NX to monkey around with hand held Smash if ever. I had fun with it, but it's a console game to me, and I prefer it with a GC controller and a bigger screen. So I never play 3DS Smash anymore. I had frustrations about the spread time frames of their release dates, but understand it from their position in marketing. I just feel like they cashed in for the smash sales and took a serious hit on the already kind of lackluster Wii U sales. As stated, Smash is a known system seller.

I do know that many people still get mileage out of it, so for this reason I think it's a nice thing to have as an option and opens up the community. It's just not for me.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Smash Bros. 3DS is not only useless and the worst Smash ever it actually detracts from another installment of the franchise. It's that bad that other games suffered for it. Despicable.
**** the 3DS version.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros. 3DS is not only useless and the worst Smash ever it actually detracts from another installment of the franchise. It's that bad that other games suffered for it. Despicable.
**** the 3DS version.
lol someone's hella-salty. sorry that the wii u's got no market penetration and is kinda daft. XD can't change reality dawg, wii u version either needed to wait, possibly until NX or the wii u just needed to, y'know, not be nonexistent for it's first year and a half.

but yeah, the 3ds is the problem. el oh el.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
How long do you guys think the direct will be?
As this is the last one, I'm expecting a solid hour of juicy Sm4sh content.

:snake:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
"3DS is the most useless Smash."

->Sold more copies than Wii U

->Has unique stages, trophies, and modes. More "stuff" than 64, Melee and Brawl.

->Subspace Emissary was a bigger drain than developing two Smash's at once. And is part of the reason Brawl was delayed.

->8 Player Smash detracts from characters as much as the 3DS does, if not more. They took out some bones from Wii Fit Trainer's thumb in order to make her work. If you are referring to the Ice Climbers, they probably didn't get out of pre-development because they didn't even have an emblem in the mark_db.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I find it kind of funny ( and annoying of course ) how my most wanted character is usually a topic which i really dislike discussing about, not that this hasn't happened before with other things but it's mostly just about technical limitation discussions, having to hear things i'm already aware and struggle at explaining my ideas because of how bad i am at wording things especially when it comes to tech things. Just something i wanted to get this off my mind.

Moving onto a different topic, since they usually release updates with DLC, you think they're ever going to fix the R.O.B.'s eyes bug they have in VS mode? For some reason i feel this might have something to do with 8 player Smash, but what makes R.O.B. special to the point in having to make him unable to emote, is it because his eyes flash green?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones '(because this isn't my list and I'd like it if you saw that tag) list of recognizable gaming icons from several months ago is eerily relevant now after Cloud(who is also on this list).

Around half of these could be safely omitted Smash-wise for a variety of reasons, but even with those out you still maintain a decent selection.
I'm going to say this again, Jill is way more iconic than Leon is.
Otherwise, I'd be pushing for Leon myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom