• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think no matter how you slice it, Isaac is less likely than K. Rool. K. Rool boasts far stronger support than Isaac, K. Rool has popularity in Japan (which Isaac lacks), K. Rool has every chance to be reintroduced into his series whereas Isaac's is both dead and would possibly continue without him even if it were to continue. And, as I've previously said, we've already had a bunch of similar characters to Isaac, even as DLC.
Yeah, comparing K. Rool to Isaac, the former certainly wins out IMO. Support aside, K. Rool doesn't need an entire series reintroduced alongside him in Smash, and can easily be brought back in any new DK game, without requiring a whole new game to be built around him. On top of that, K. Rool's games are not only among Nintendo's finest, but have sold enormously well...roughly 28 million, which is as much as many middling series in their entirety. His costume's existence is a testament to Nintendo/Sakurai believing he can be marketed on those merits; it's just a matter of whether they want to take the full measure of making and marketing him as a complete fighter too.

Also, I used M2 as an example to show that you can point to many different characters and say they got in because of "casuals". Casuals is sort of a dirty word IMO. It's used disparagingly in the community and is often a way to help support a specific viewpoint that one person may have.
Yeah, I find the 'casual' and 'hardcore' labels to be distractions a lot of the time, often used by people demeaning characters they don't want in the game. There are so many different types of gamers that pigeonholing them into two groups is completely sloppy, because how do you classify each type?

You have the Wii Fit-playing grandmas, the little kids who just got a NINTENDO SIXTY-FOUUUUUR for Christmas, the frat bros who play "Super Smashed Bros." at parties, the people who have 'liked' the Smash Bros. page on Facebook, the obsessive competitive players, the message board lurker types, the message board users, the in-betweeners who buy and care about Nintendo games, just not vocally, the gamers who don't buy anything new and just replay SNES/64/GameCube games, the single-series fans, the Nintendo nerds who love all series...the list goes on and on.

It's all on a spectrum of how much you care about Nintendo games, not in two black-or-white categories of gamer, and you can't conclusively say that any character really aligns with either group. It's all guesswork. You could have a Nintendo gamer who considers himself a big fan but has never heard of the character you're calling "iconic" or "relevant," while you could also have a gamer who doesn't follow games online at all, but just so happens to love an obscure character because he loved their game growing up.

Last edited:

Karonax

Zen Blue Warrior
NNID
Karonax
3DS FC
1633-4179-2591
Oh my. If Steve from Minecraft wasn't one of the most recognizable faces in gaming I'd dismiss it... but Minecraft is popular in Japan too, and if Sakurai is gunning for the most famous game characters, Steve is arguably much bigger than Cloud... Oh my indeed.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That looks fake to me, that background looks solid green unlike the others who at the very least have some shading on it

Plus the whole 'igniting it with other fire attacks' seems odd to me, why only fire attacks? It just seems a tad strange

The shadow also doesn't look right, the positioning seems off and it doesn't look dark enough

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That looks fake to me, that background looks solid green unlike the others who at the very least have some shading on it

Plus the whole 'igniting it with other fire attacks' seems odd to me, why only fire attacks? It just seems a tad strange

The shadow also doesn't look right, the positioning seems off and it doesn't look dark enough
Honestly the format of the pun does it in for me since it's not (Character) (Verb) (Preposition) or (Character) (Verb) (Article) (Noun). The only one without that so far has been Ryu, and even that was more so a reference to Street Fighter. This isn't even a direct reference to Minecraft, despite the pun.

That being said, I'd encourage everyone to take likely-fake leak discussion to the NintenZone Social instead of here.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Hoping for this:

Opening trailer (Inklings w/stage)
Sakurai introduces direct, discusses Cloud, "watch til very end"
K. Rool w/stage trailer
Impa w/stage trailer
Melee mode, 64 mode and Brawl mode
Snake w/stage trailer, Wolf trailer
Sakurai: "One very BIG trailer" - cut to Ridley trailer,

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Big chance that's a fake. The 'slow-mo' title card for a character usual has background elements, don't they?

Here's a question: do you folks think there's a chance we'll see some way of getting 3DS content like stages?
My hunch is that there's a not-too-great-but-still chance of it happening. Get a selection of 3DS stages for a price, discounted if you already own the 3DS version.

I've been thinking about it because, in my mind (it's not something I'm counting on), it feels like there's a good chance there will be a Super Smash Bros game for NX. Essentially the third of current Smash Bros games, with content from both other games. Having content flow between games shows great synergy between them. Otherwise, people will continue with the conclusion that one game suffers because of the other one et cetera.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as general predictions? Literally the only character I'm super confident on is the Inkling. I think they'd be a good bet for this Direct at least, considering Smash and Splatoon are still being pushed as Wii U holiday titles to the point that there's a bundle available with both pre-installed, and the Inkling would be the perfect character to make available before Christmas.

If there's a second new character, Wolf. If a third, K. Rool. Beyond that I have no idea as nothing else really seems remotely likely to me.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Cmon people I don't want any leaks and I am not believing any of them unless it comes from data-mining. It's already sad that it has to come down to just data-mining and/or actual video gameplay to make me a believe what character is next, you can't trust text or images anymore, when it comes to Smash. People can Photoshop and make stuff up like that easily nowadays.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who actually played Golden Sun would know how unique Isaac would be in Smash. Like, it's not even worth a discussion. Isaac has so many different moves at his disposal, the main challenge of Sakurai would actually be trying to fit all these moves into a moveset fit for Smash Bros.

I don't give a damn people dismiss him as 'just another generic JRPG blonde spikey haired anime-looking magic dude with a sword'. Their loss. Golden Sun on GBA was amazing. And again if you didn't play it: your loss. There are extremely good reasons for Isaac to be this popular, and if you chose not to investigate why I won't make you.

King K.Rool and Isaac are still my most wanted and I think that having them in Smash would be an enrichment for the series. Am finally hoping to see at least one of them making it in. And if it's gonna be Isaac, am hoping Dixie Kong will get in to to fill up the void for a DKC newcomer.

Am still thinking Dixie Kong and Impa are quite likely btw.

Also, Diddy having NO personality? :facepalm: He has more than most characters on the roster.
My friend, don't waste your breath. Classic Nintendo fans are the silent majority, but most of them are getting older and don't have the time to visit the Internet and rally for characters such as Issac and Dixie. That's why you hear crap arguments such as them being irrelevant. Or how they crap on Diddy Kong. It's the vocal minority who crawl out of the woodwork and try to twist reality in order to convince others that the roster needs more Fire Emblem, Mother, Kid Icarus characters or niche Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby bottom tier characters. You got to just ignore it and remind yourself that reality is different than Internet polls and forums

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Big chance that's a fake. The 'slow-mo' title card for a character usual has background elements, don't they?

Here's a question: do you folks think there's a chance we'll see some way of getting 3DS content like stages?
My hunch is that there's a not-too-great-but-still chance of it happening. Get a selection of 3DS stages for a price, discounted if you already own the 3DS version.

I've been thinking about it because, in my mind (it's not something I'm counting on), it feels like there's a good chance there will be a Super Smash Bros game for NX. Essentially the third of current Smash Bros games, with content from both other games. Having content flow between games shows great synergy between them. Otherwise, people will continue with the conclusion that one game suffers because of the other one et cetera.
If the Duck Hunt stage added to the 3DS is any indication the 3DS stages would simply be added for free since they already exist for another version...why pay for something that is already available? Sure its in a different version of the game but it still isn't extra content...and it would be easy as **** to add anyway as its just a matter of porting it over to the Wii U...

Also if they did add 3ds stages to the Wii U I would hope they add...
Pac-maze
Gerudo Valley
Arena Ferox (my training ground on the 3ds btw)
Lumiose City
Brinstar
Corneria
Smash Run....ok its not a stage per se, but its far better than Smash Tour...

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
The only character i really think is likely is Wolf, only character i'm betting on definitely making it in because there's just so much going for him. Starfox Zero, return of :4lucas: and :4feroy: making only sense to return him as well and highly requested. I'll be very surprised and disappointed if he doesn't make it.
Other than that i feel the rest would just be...Unpredictable. We could get something a lot of people predicted like Inklings or Shovel Knight ( Not sure if people still feel he's likely, i just ran out of characters that i found people saying would probably make it ) to something a lot of people said had nearly no chances like Ice Climbers or Snake.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Because Activision doesn't seem to be a particularly uncooperative company and in fact has collaborated with Nintendo on Skylanders this year?
I guess. It doesn't seem to be strong enough of a reason to make Spyro a likely candidate though.

:231:

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My friend, don't waste your breath. Classic Nintendo fans are the silent majority, but most of them are getting older and don't have the time to visit the Internet and rally for characters such as Issac and Dixie. That's why you hear crap arguments such as them being irrelevant. Or how they crap on Diddy Kong. It's the vocal minority who crawl out of the woodwork and try to twist reality in order to convince others that the roster needs more Fire Emblem, Mother, Kid Icarus characters or niche Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby bottom tier characters. You got to just ignore it and remind yourself that reality is different than Internet polls and forums
We'll this is quite reassuring actually. And yes it has so far been a pretty disappointing ride for people my generation (early 90s). Which I consider extremely strange, cause Smash started in this generation as well. Right now, it seems Sakurai made a drastically different approach in adding characters.

Every new character so far has either been added from a generation before me (80s) or way after me (2010+) and some in between as Villager (whom I don't really care about) , Bowser Jr. and Rosalina.

Am a loyal Nintendo fan, but because of my financial situation the last couple of years I was never able to afford a 3DS or Wii U (I play Smash Wii U a lot at my friends place however) I feel totally left out. I literally hold NO attachment towards any newcomer in Smash 4 except for Bowser Jr., whereas with Melee and especially Brawl, I felt the total opposite.

To me that is rather disappointing.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Yeah, i was pretty surprised to not see a newcomer who debuted in the 90s until :4cloud:. Kind of a shame, but what choices did we have? Bandana Waddle Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, gen 1 and 2 Pokemon. These are the only ones i can think of on top of my head, feel free to list more if you feel like it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
View attachment 87082

Surely like something Psynergy would be enough for him to differentiate between the rest of the sword users, especially taking a certain Brawl mod into consideration.

Just save his actual sword attacks for a few of his aerials for something like that and you already have something more unique than the other two sword users.
Psynergy as a whole is just more generic magic-y junk. Doesn't matter if it's not called magic, it's effectively the same as magic. There's some stuff that can be done with it, but besides ploping down a rock there's not a lot of really really unique stuff on the level of a character Sakurai would make. The PM movesets are honestly pretty tame compared to the official ones.

As much as I hate seeing this thread, allow me to dispel the notion of Isaac being 'Generic' and continue Cyber's previous point about Isaac's potential.

Can (pick up a boulder) create energy hands capable of moving objects or people with (Relative) ease?
Move Psynergy. Thanks to Brawl, I'd probably say that anyone who's played it will associate this with Isaac.

Makes earthquakes that can shoot people into the air?
We don't have any character in Smash that manipulates the earth itself. That is in itself, a unique feature Isaac can bring to Smash Bros.

Drop (Crushing rocks) on his opponents seem such a breeze?

Shoot vines out of the ground and ensnare his opponents?

He may not need his sword, he can wield an ax, this Golden Son, is a worthy Smash Bros Candidate!!

Like I said above, I'm beginning to hate this thread more and more. This chain of anti-Isaac propaganda grinds my gears, given he's one of my most wanted. I'd argue if K. Rool wasn't number one in my wish list, it'd be Isaac who'd be number 1.

Bottom line - Isaac does not need a sword to be Isaac. His Venus Psynergy does it for him.

And another thing - Isaac can also rely on other types of Psynergy - Wind (Jupiter Psynergy) Fire (Mars Psynergy) Water (Mercury Psynergy) He could blend skills like Planet Diver or Astral Blast into his moveset!
The move psynergy obviously wouldn't exist as it did on the AT. It'd get reduced to a windbox for balance, and we have plenty of characters who can push people around with windboxes.

With earthquakes, you'd either have it be very short ranged or it'd be a total stage effect. Either it be just a hitbox in front like every Dtilt ever or it'd be almost exactly like Thoron, just worse because you can hit jumping opponents.

Calling up vines would either be a carbon copy of Palutena's Usmash or it'd be a remote projectile just like Din's Fire, just stuck to the ground again.

Rocks are really the only wholly unique thing Issac has, and it's not enough to base an entire character on.

Thing is that people wanted Krystal instead, at least over here. Wolf was the Dark Pit of Brawl, really.

Anyone who actually played Golden Sun would know how unique Isaac would be in Smash. Like, it's not even worth a discussion. Isaac has so many different moves at his disposal, the main challenge of Sakurai would actually be trying to fit all these moves into a moveset fit for Smash Bros.

I don't give a damn people dismiss him as 'just another generic JRPG blonde spikey haired anime-looking magic dude with a sword'. Their loss. Golden Sun on GBA was amazing. And again if you didn't play it: your loss. There are extremely good reasons for Isaac to be this popular, and if you chose not to investigate why I won't make you.

King K.Rool and Isaac are still my most wanted and I think that having them in Smash would be an enrichment for the series. Am finally hoping to see at least one of them making it in. And if it's gonna be Isaac, am hoping Dixie Kong will get in to to fill up the void for a DKC newcomer.

Am still thinking Dixie Kong and Impa are quite likely btw.

Also, Diddy having NO personality? :facepalm: He has more than most characters on the roster.
Played it, and I've even beaten the superbosses Deadbeard and Dullahan. Still didn't care for either game and I'm not seeing much potential here.

False, You spell Steve's name "Steve?" the question mark is part of the name

As told by the official *coughandwhitewashedcough* merchandise.

Personally I think that while Minecraft might be popular, Steve? is not, you don't think "Oh it's Steve?!" when you see Minecraft you think "Oh it's Minecraft style"
They'd probably drop the question mark to avoid confusion... Not really something that'd sink the leak. Steve's popularity vs. Minecraft's is kinda irrelevant here because Villager got in and he wasn't even the most requested AC character.

Still, probably faked. Don't recognize the explosion effects (usually little white circles and not a "realistic" explosion) and the art probably came from somewhere else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While I wouldn't mind Steve I don't think he's getting in.
The idea by itself is quite ridiculous.

Spyro seems far more fitting indeed actually now that am thinking about it.

Djinni, the Earth element Psynergy, field Psynergy, weapon unleashes and Summons don't hold potential and aren't interessting? Now THAT'S interesting!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Wolf doesn't get revealed in this Direct, then his chances of making it in to the game is pretty much done for.

Unless there's a special Star Fox Zero Direct that happens a month before the game's lauch that reveals Wolf which I think could be a possibility.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, i was pretty surprised to not see a newcomer who debuted in the 90s until :4cloud:. Kind of a shame, but what choices did we have? Bandana Waddle Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, gen 1 and 2 Pokemon. These are the only ones i can think of on top of my head, feel free to list more if you feel like it.
Banjo?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Spyro is big icon, Nintendo is even collaborating with Skylanders.
Skylanders is big, Spyro is not. Not familiar with Skylanders, but I remember one of the big complaints being that Spyro's been pushed off to the side... Skylanders has it's own mascot by now, right?

It's possible, but we'll probably see a Skylanders character over Spyro.

Djinni, the Earth element Psynergy, field Psynergy, weapon unleashes and Summons don't hold potential and aren't interessting? Now THAT'S interesting!
Not really, no. We can't have little critters bouncing around the stage because of 3DS limitations, and judging from Midgar the summons would be delegated to a stage hazard. I've already explained why the Venus psynergy and the overworld stuff aren't completely new concepts for Smash.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think it can be chalked up the fact that many of them have been missing in action for years. K. Rool, Dixie (before TF), and most of the remaining Gen I & Gen II haven't had a star role for a while now.

I don't know if you can really call BWD a 90s character though. Yeah, he debuted in Super Star, but hardly anyone remembers him from there. 99% of his fanbase stems from Return to Dream Land,

:231:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Skylanders is big, Spyro is not. Not familiar with Skylanders, but I remember one of the big complaints being that Spyro's been pushed off to the side... Skylanders has it's own mascot by now, right?

It's possible, but we'll probably see a Skylanders character over Spyro.

Not really, no. We can't have little critters bouncing around the stage because of 3DS limitations, and judging from Midgar the summons would be delegated to a stage hazard. I've already explained why the Venus psynergy and the overworld stuff aren't completely new concepts for Smash.
Skylanders is a Spyro Spinoff, and from my understanding he still plays important roles in the games.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I don't know if you can really call BWD a 90s character though. Yeah, he debuted in Super Star, but hardly anyone remembers him from there. 99% of his fanbase stems from Return to Dream Land,:
But Waddle Dees have always been shown to be Kirby's friends and enemies, and Bandana Waddle Dee is the icing on the caking with the whole Waddle Dees being more than just enemies. Let us also not forget that Kirby befriended a Waddle Dee in Kirby 64 too ( Though that was in 2000, still very close to the 90s ).

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
If the Duck Hunt stage added to the 3DS is any indication the 3DS stages would simply be added for free since they already exist for another version...why pay for something that is already available? Sure its in a different version of the game but it still isn't extra content...and it would be easy as **** to add anyway as its just a matter of porting it over to the Wii U...

Also if they did add 3ds stages to the Wii U I would hope they add...
Pac-maze
Gerudo Valley
Arena Ferox (my training ground on the 3ds btw)
Lumiose City
Brinstar
Corneria
Smash Run....ok its not a stage per se, but its far better than Smash Tour...
Lets see, PAC-Maze doesn't have a chance because its ghost behavior per 3DS (same goes for Golden Plains but it can be fixed)
I would like to see arena ferox brinstar and corneria as well

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
They'd probably drop the question mark to avoid confusion... Not really something that'd sink the leak. Steve's popularity vs. Minecraft's is kinda irrelevant here because Villager got in and he wasn't even the most requested AC character.
Okay yeah that's a good point with Villager, but not why they'd not spell Steve?'s name right, it's officially spelled with the ? by developers and merchandise, ect.
They would most definitely use the canon spelling.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
False, You spell Steve's name "Steve?" the question mark is part of the name

As told by the official *coughandwhitewashedcough* merchandise.

Personally I think that while Minecraft might be popular, Steve? is not, you don't think "Oh it's Steve?!" when you see Minecraft you think "Oh it's Minecraft style"
Nitpicking a bit, but this isn't always the case.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Lets see, PAC-Maze doesn't have a chance because its ghost behavior per 3DS (same goes for Golden Plains but it can be fixed)
I would like to see arena ferox brinstar and corneria as well
Not sure I understand what you mean...if the stage works on the 3DS there's no reason for there to be any problems on the Wii U...

The only feasible issue I can come up with is possibly updating the models of the stages to fit the higher resolution of the Wii U which takes dev time...but when looking at Peach's Castle or Duck Hunt I don't think that's too big of a problem...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom