• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm calling the biggest game to "survival" and "Creation" genres bigger for gaming history than Kingdom Hearts. An action jrpg.

Minecraft as one game that has continously grown over.. what, 7 years from its first public alpha/beta has been one that's hit the gaming world pretty damn hard. I'd argue more people would recognize a Creeper over Sora, at least in western audiences.

You see things like Terraria, Starbound, or Don't Starve and people can often be quick to describe it as "Like Minecraft, but..."
THAT is something that is a sign that it is a genre-defining and impactful title.

Kingdom Hearts have some damn good games but what impact can you really say it did? In terms of unexpected crossover titles Smash itself fits that bill and predated Kingdom Hearts by a good couple of years. The entire "vs Capcom" series has stood on this.

Nobody from either series is getting into Smash a-ny time soon, but Minecraft is a bigger title for gaming than Kingdom Hearts as a series and has reached a far wider market. To claim it as just a children's game is no different than claiming it for :4pikachu: or :4kirby:. Catered FOR a young audience? Yes. But their reach goes far further.
Steve doesn't hold a candle to Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Ryu, or Cloud.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dark Pit >>>> mostly everything whats being suggested around these parts ever since Cloud came.
Let's not get mad about people thinking outside the box. Especially since the box isn't all that big at the moment. (If our discussion was limited to King K. Rool, the Inklings, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Wolf we wouldn't have anything interesting to talk about.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let's not get mad about people thinking outside the box. Especially since the box isn't all that big at the moment. (If our discussion was limited to King K. Rool, the Inklings, Bandana Dee, Isaac, and Wolf we wouldn't have anything interesting to talk about.)
K.Rool and Isaac ARE interesting....

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Did you really just assume that Minecraft is more popular and known than Kingdom hearts and Castlevania?? Among children yes, but in general absolutely not.
Dude. Really?

Minecraft has sold 70 million copies

70 MILLION copies.

It is absolutely, in general is more popular and well known the Kingdom Hearts and Castlevania. It's almost sold TWICE as much as both franchises COMBINED. On it's own it outsells most gaming series outright! (Including but not limited to Donkey Kong, Kirby, Megaman, Metal Gear, Street Fighter...) It is a cultural phenomenon. It has it's own convention dedicated to itself. How much Kingdom Hearts and Castlevania merchandise do you see in stores? How much Minecraft? Look at Youtube gaming videos online, notice how all the most popular ones are Minecraft releated.

Minecraft isn't just popular, it is one of the MOST popular games out there. And it's just a single game! Saying Minecraft isn't popular or iconic is borderline lunacy.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Steve doesn't hold a candle to Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Ryu, or Cloud.
When did I say he did?
At what point did I say that Minecraft or Steve hold the level of impact, popularity, and longevity as our 3rd Party characters, past and present?

It's a massive recent game that outshines Kingdom Hearts in impact for gaming. Still, certainly not so much so over Castlevania which in itself sparked two major ages of impacts with the traditional games being some of the most iconic examples of "Nintendo Hard" and then the Igavanias which helped half-form the kind of genre that is the Metroidvania.

:4sonic:: The console war instigator. High speed high octane platforming. Even if the quality of his games waver, the iconicism and popularity doesn't.

:snake:: The series used as THE reference point for Stealth and one of the best examples of directors pushing for a cinematic edge for their games.

:4pacman:: The only video game character that could rival the impact, popularity, and iconicism of :4mario: himself.

:4megaman:: A multi-series saga of titles from NES to late Wii with the force of a freight train. "Megaman-styled respawning enemies." That should say enough about impact.

:4ryu:: Mr. Fighting Game. Even if Ryu isn't known by name to someone, it's damn likely they'll recognize a Haduken or Shoryuken.

:4cloud:: The series that has been used as the "pinacle" for JRPGs. The title that shook the gaming world to its core across 3 discs in the turn of the century. The protagonist that's been kept as the biggest face for the series. I hate he got in over Black Mage but frankly you could argue that Cloud is the reason why the "Spiky-haired anime swordsman" trope became as popular as it did.

The ONLY 3rd Party series that could be argued near this level for impact are Castlevania, Halo, and arguably Bomberman and Doom.

Dropping from S-Rank series to A, you'd probably find Minecraft admist them.

It's because of this I've never had faith in the likes of Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman.

It's why I've always said that indies bank SOLELY on the hope of an indie character being chosen because they can't and won't stand up to these titans of gaming.

It's why I am so affirmed that we won't get any more 3rd Party Content until Smash 5, in terms of characters or stages.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm gonna jump in here and say that Steve the Minecraft guy wouldn't be bad on account of the interesting Villager mixup potential.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
well to change the topic lets play mini game
put the first game than you remember of the next genrer
IT MUST BE OUTSIDE Nintendo
Fighting
Platform
FPS (first person shooter)
TPS (third person shooter)
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
RPG or JRPG (role play game)
Strategy
Racing

Burruni

Smash Hero
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Street Fighter
Crash Bandicoot
Halo
Tomb Raider
Silent Hill
Katawa Shoujo
Final Fantasy
Disgaea
Grand Turismo.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Fighting: Street Fighter
Platform: Rayman
FPS: Halo
TPS: Battlefront
Survival Horror: Resident Evil
Visual Novel: None even come to mind :p
RPG: Final Fantasy
Strategy: Starcraft
Racing: Need for Speed

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Will this thread be closed after the direct? Since there will be no more DLC after the direct.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
I'm going to play tooXD
Fighting - Street Fighter
Platform - Rayman
FPS (first person shooter) - Halo or Doom
TPS (third person shooter) - Max Payne
Survival Horror - Resident Evil
Visual Novel - Walking Dead
RPG or JRPG (role play game) - Final Fantasy
Strategy - Age of Empires
Racing - Need for Speed

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I suggest characters like Monkey Fist, I.M. Meen, and Morshu, but nobody talks about them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I had to guess, the last character and stage DLC will be announced the day of the Direct for that sweet, sweet holiday cash grab, with maybe one last round of Mii costumes in the spring along with a couple of patches until mid summer to make sure that Cloud, Boogerman, etc aren't broken as all hell.

Last edited:
So we've already gone through the characters we all want, but what about the stages that accompany them? Here's mine:
Shantae- Scuttle Town and Zombie Caravan: a pure fanservice stage like Town and City from Animal Crossing.
Vaati- Minish Woods: kinda the same deal as the Wii U pikmin stage. Just without hazards and with Minish in the background
Tiki- Grima: Fighting on the back of a dragon in Awakening was beautiful and I must see it in HD

Morbi

Scavenger
So we've already gone through the characters we all want, but what about the stages that accompany them? Here's mine:
Shantae- Scuttle Town and Zombie Caravan: a pure fanservice stage like Town and City from Animal Crossing.
Vaati- Minish Woods: kinda the same deal as the Wii U pikmin stage. Just without hazards and with Minish in the background
Tiki- Grima: Fighting on the back of a dragon in Awakening was beautiful and I must see it in HD
Honestly, half the reason I want Banjo and Kazooie or Young Link is for a stage. I miss Great Bay, but I would prefer a stage inspired by something else. Perhaps the swamp? You could turn literally any level from Banjo and Kazooie into a stage, but none would be more iconic than Gruntilda's Lair.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Fighting-Soul Calibur
Platform-Crash Bandicoot
FPS (first person shooter)-Halo
TPS (third person shooter)-Mass Effect
Survival Horror-Resident Evil
Visual Novel-Walking Dead
RPG or JRPG (role play game)-Final Fantasy
Strategy-Age of Empires
Racing-Need For Speed

----

jus for lulz nintendo games

Fighting-Smash (duh)
Platform-Super Mario Bros.
FPS (first person shooter)-Metroid Prime
TPS (third person shooter)-Splatoon
Survival Horror-Eternal Darkness
Visual Novel-?
RPG or JRPG (role play game)-Fire Emblem
Strategy-......fire emblem...
Racing-F-Zero

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Will this thread be closed after the direct? Since there will be no more DLC after the direct.
That's not necessarily the case - this is the last Direct focused entirely on Smash Bros., but that doesn't rule out more DLC being revealed in regular Directs. Personally, I can't really see them revealing all of their choices from the ballot at once.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, half the reason I want Banjo and Kazooie or Young Link is for a stage. I miss Great Bay, but I would prefer a stage inspired by something else. Perhaps the swamp? You could turn literally any level from Banjo and Kazooie into a stage, but none would be more iconic than Gruntilda's Lair.
Or Spiral Mountain. If they just used the orchestrated music remixes from Nuts and Bolts, they'd pretty much be set. Seriously though, who wouldn't want to fight to this theme:

Morbi

Scavenger
Or Spiral Mountain. If they just used the orchestrated music remixes from Nuts and Bolts, they'd pretty much be set. Seriously though, who wouldn't want to fight to this theme:

I stand corrected. Only one would be more iconic than Gruntilda's Lair, and that, sir, is Spiral Mountain! Great suggestion.

That's not necessarily the case - this is the last Direct focused entirely on Smash Bros., but that doesn't rule out more DLC being revealed in regular Directs. Personally, I can't really see them revealing all of their choices from the ballot at once.
For some reason, I can see it happening. The ballot was extended four or five months longer than necessary and I have no doubt that was to get ahead on development. I suppose I would not be surprised if they had more later, but that sort of defeats the intent of this being the last smash specific presentation unless there are stragglers, characters on par with Wolf and whatnot. I believe the "winner" will be revealed.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Y'know.

I felt Sceptile would've made a good fighter.

At least that didn't entirely fall on deaf ears.
Sceptile looks smug as ****...I love it!!! And that final burst attack dam sun...

:083: would've made an awesome playable character tho...jus sayin...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well I just want Hawlucha for Pokken Tournament, that is all.
At this point I'd pray for a skin of him for Pikachu Libre.
Honestly I REALLY feel like Hawlucha should've gotten that "slot."
And we should've gotten Hawlucha as a pokeball pokemon that mirrored the AI of the Flying Men

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Didn't' Sakurai say that he couldn't hold the Smash bros devolvement team forever?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Didn't' Sakurai say that he couldn't hold the Smash bros devolvement team forever?
[and so I find myself talking to my twin]

I find it plausible that we may get more DLC through next year...but even if that's not the case it is likely that the team may take a few extra months just working on balance patches...which would take minimal work when you consider they stopped working on DLC...they could make the team even smaller just to take care of such things until it is deemed necessary to move-on entirely...

I think it's likely nothing more will be done to the game, DLC or patching, by the end of 2016 Q3...

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Oh my God! Oh my God! I'm so happy! My favorite Pokémon has just been revealed for Pokken Tournament! You have no idea how ecstatic I am right now! Now I won't have to worry about being disappointed if Sceptile doesn't make the cut in Smash, because I still have Pokken to look forward to! I'm ready for the Direct, Mr. Sakurai! Give me everything you've got!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
That is not entirely relevant to when they reveal their content. Sakurai asserted that in regard to developing content. Not revealing it. Hypothetically, he could even wait to reveal it after the development team moves on. I highly, highly doubt that would be the case. But nothing he said contradicts Sakurai's statements.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
I don't know. This game has been in development for a while now, and he did say the last of the DLC will be fan-service, And I think that we've reached that point.
But we can guess all day, we will just have to wait and see.

Y'know.

I felt Sceptile would've made a good fighter.

At least that didn't entirely fall on deaf ears.
What about Swampert? Its ok my little mudkip, you are the best starter Pokémon to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
Tekken
Banjo-Kazooie
Call of Duty
???
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid ?
Final Fantasy
Worms
Need For Speed

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't know. This game has been in development for a while now, and he did say the last of the DLC will be fan-service, And I think that we've reached that point.
But we can guess all day, we will just have to wait and see.

What about Swampert? Its ok my little mudkip, you are the best starter Pokémon to me.
Swampert never really struck out like Sceptile and especially Blaziken.

And Sceptile was kinda a swarm of "coincidences" in his favor, where we had :4charizard::4greninja: two of the three starter types at hand and the Gen III remakes on the horizon. It seemed right and a bit of fervor grew over him due to it.

I honestly believe we'll see :4cloud::wolf: and a 1st party nintendo character to be a trio situation like E3 this year for the direct. Maybe/hopefully announcing a 4th on the way to come later, akin to Mewtwo's trailer.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley

Man... I don't need anything from Undertale in Smash but I'd love to add this track somehow. Great Cave Offensive maybe for no other reason but its omega looks like it would fit the feel. Maybe Norfair because of the similar hot location, but I'm dig'n how it would sound on Great C. Offensive. It's not happening, I'm just enjoying the thought. I guess I could just play it myself ;P

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Dude. Really?

Minecraft has sold 70 million copies

70 MILLION copies.

It is absolutely, in general is more popular and well known the Kingdom Hearts and Castlevania. It's almost sold TWICE as much as both franchises COMBINED. On it's own it outsells most gaming series outright! (Including but not limited to Donkey Kong, Kirby, Megaman, Metal Gear, Street Fighter...) It is a cultural phenomenon. It has it's own convention dedicated to itself. How much Kingdom Hearts and Castlevania merchandise do you see in stores? How much Minecraft? Look at Youtube gaming videos online, notice how all the most popular ones are Minecraft releated.

Minecraft isn't just popular, it is one of the MOST popular games out there. And it's just a single game! Saying Minecraft isn't popular or iconic is borderline lunacy.
Thanks haha, I'm tired of people saying Minecraft is not popular only because they are ignorant or hate the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In reference to an earlier discussion, yeah. I would say that Minecraft is more well-known/iconic than games like Kingdom Hearts and definitely Castlevania. This mainly comes from the fact that it blurred the line, so to speak, where it's not only iconic gaming-wise, but pop culture-wise as a whole. You can't exactly walk into a store and find Castlevania clothing, toys, costumes, and other such merchandise. More often than not you won't see/hear Castlevania getting referenced on a tv show, but I've personally seen Minecraft referenced, name-dropped, or parodied on more than one occasion. And of course, there's the already-mentioned fact that it has a giant yearly convention dedicated to it. It doesn't just have a fandom of its own, but a full-on subculture.

I mean, of course I get that some people definitely wouldn't want Steve in Smash (I'm neutral myself, as while I'm pretty against having third parties that are outright owned by other console developers for personal reasons, I think Steve could have a really cool moveset based on using a pick-axe and upgrading his armor throughout the match by mining for ore and setting up a crafting bench, somewhat similar to how Phoenix Wright is in UMvC3). But at the same time I feel some people really undercut Minecraft's influence on not just gaming, but popular culture in general.

But hey, that's just my view on things.

Fighting
Platform
Survival Horror
Visual Novel
Strategy
Racing
I'll assume this is in a Smash context since this is the DLC thread. :p Likewise, I won't include series already in Smash.

Mortal Kombat or Tekken
LittleBigPlanet
Halo
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
I'll say Ace Attorney since TVTropes lists it as one. :p
(This one's really hard to not include Smash series) I guess Dragon Quest. Or The Elder Scrolls if Western RPGs count.
Civilization (Ghandi for Smash...?)
Gran Turismo or Need For Speed

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
like I thoght the more known games are, for Fighting game Street Fighter (Ryu is already in the game) the same goes for RPG Final Fantasy (we got Cloud) for Racing everyone knows Need For Speed but this game don't have a special character, so the only known game that have a good option is Survival Horror - Resident Evil, maybe Jill or Ada... (we need a female DLC XD)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, finally we have a date about the special direct, ha.

Anyway, I don't have many expectations or 'wishes' in terms of content as I tend to rather be surprised with what Sakurai and co. have in store for us unlike MOST people here that made themmselves the idea that we will MOST definetely see a character or two announced there. Not saying is impossible, but it just amuses me.

In any case, for funsies, I kind of want to see 'NEW' game modes. Stages. Something that adds to the game that isn't a character. That could be nice, IMO. :cool:

:bowser:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom