• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Mercedes Benz GLA has been in two Nintendo games now that it's in Mario Maker. That's one more game than Minecraft Steve. Mercedes Benz GLA for DLC.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My only real desire out of all of this is a new DK character. Whether it be Dixie, K Rool, or even a more off-the-wall DK character (I hope not but i'll take it...), I just want the series to be shown some more love.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why wouldn't Roy fall under the 1st category? He's a highly requested character to return to the series just like Mewtwo and Lucas.
Roy had huge support to return to Smash 5, especially so in Japan. He wasn't as much suggested as Mewtwo or Megaman, but he was definitely up there. Maybe around the same level as King K.Rool support in Japan, which is pretty huge. I actually thought Roy returning was a definite sign from Sakurai that he cares about veterans coming back, as well as pleasing the crowd by giving them a popular requested character.

Btw, I don't get how people would say that King K.Rool wouldn't be hype. Just 5 days to go now, and people suddenly grow tired of talking about long-forgotten long-overdue characters as King K.Rool and Isaac? :rolleyes: Don't you guys get these two characters are so popular because of the insane moveset potential both of these characters have? And the sheer fact that both these characters represented a pincacle in Nintendo gaming at some point?

Donkey Kong Country from the SNES days was one of Nintendo's biggest marketing tools over their competitors at that time because of the revolutionary graphics, sound and fluid gameplay. King K.Rool represents that. Isaac does this in the game way, Golden Sun was a peak of what the GBA's visuals could create at the time, and it is the closest what Nintendo has to a true stategy-based and puzzle-based JRPG. Besides Pokémon, and later Fire Emblem (which MOSTLY got it's popularity from Marth and Roy's inclusion in Melee, face it) Golden Sun was easily the best Nintendo RPG of the time. Donkey Kong Country and Golden Sun are the prime quality of their gerne in Nintendo outside of their absolute Top Of The Top Of Top Tier franchises; Super Mario and Pokémon, series amply represented in Smash Bros. so far as we all know.

I do not think these two characters should be anywhere overlooked. And yes, I'd be insanely upset if we are not getting either especially since they've been so prominent and dominant in the ballot and generall popularity overall. We really need to see these two awesome characters and franchises back to full glory. And I want Smash to pave the way.

The only character that would fill the void of not having either Isaac of King K.Rool would be Banjo-Kazooie for me. They seem quite likely to, because Sakurai likely already would've included them in Melee if he could. And I really don't see which other character Microsoft-owned would make as much sense as they.

Also, I could easily see Sakurai add new DLC characters down the line that are easier to create, or veterans coming back after this supposedly 'last Smash Direct'. He might reveal the absolute "Big Name Holiday Sellers ™" right now but that doesn't mean he won't release characters with less booming impact down the line, as Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Young Link, Dixie Kong and Impa.

I don't expect more than 2 characters being shown in the Direct, as we found that there's only a spot for 3 characters, and one of them is gonna be Cloud. And the other, is most likely gonna be Wolf. So that leaves for only one character, which I do suspect is a Big Ballot Baller ™ - K.Rool, Isaac, Banjo, Inkling, Snake -. They could reveal others, but they might still be in development, like they showcased Lucas. And then boom, Sakurai gives us stuff we wouldn't expect yet again.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Why do people keep saying this?
Mostly because Nintendo said this will be the last Broadcast focused on Super Smash Bros. It would seem odd to have a broadcast and then announce something in some random direct...Usually a finale is something 'bigger' like a full broadcast, so assuming this will be the last thing to show or at least announce anything new makes sense.

I would be pretty salty if all the remaining characters were getting are those 2. Inklings everyone here knows I loathe greatly and Wolf, whom I want to see return to the series still won't feel complete without a really hype character (Inklings is not that character for me, just saying). What we need is a Nintendo newcomer that appeals to everyone and possibly another 3rd party character that throws everyone off completely like Cloud.
There will be no Newcomer, Nintendo or 3rd Party, that will appeal to everyone. The best you can do is pick a character that seems like they would appeal to the Majority of people.
Like it or not, when it comes to Nintendo Newcomer would be an Inkling. Splatoon is extremely popular and the Inkling designs and attacks are also very popular.
You may not like them, but you're honestly in the Majority, I'm sorry to say.

The best that Nintendo & Sakurai can hope to do is include enough variety in its DLC characters that everyone who plays the game can find at least 1 character in the bunch that they at least like. For example, here's how all of the characters (and likely characters) apply for me.

:4mewtwo:: YES!
:4lucas:: Eh, fine, I guess.
:4feroy:: Hooray!
:4ryu:: Not Chun-Li, but I'll take 'im.
:4cloud:: Holy (Expletive)! I never thought it'd happen but I'm so happy!
Inklings: Cool, hoping for an Octoling costume..or maybe Callie & Marie
Wolf: Not Krystal, similar but different enough from Fox though. I'll take him.
King K. Rool: Not Dixie, but awesome
Dixie Kong: Whoo!

I don't know if I see us getting another 3rd Party character, especially not one that would throw everyone like Cloud did (only Banjo could maybe do that..yet people had seen him as more likely then Cloud for the most part prior to Cloud's announcement).

When it comes to the DLC characters, and the roster itself for that matter, you can't look at it as every character, or even the last character announced, as being a big deal for you, you have to look at the whole and see which characters in it that you do like, even if its not an OMFG character for you.

As they say though, you can't please everyone.

There's barely any Western character representation in Smash... I mean that's fine, but If this is a celebration of gaming can the west get some love, or are western games not as impactful?
For Japan, there's really not..and honestly, most of the Western Developed characters are either owned by other console developers, haven't appeared on Nintendo, or they've severely lost popularity and are now mostly remembered purely for nostalgia but without any new games to really show off...or they just don't have the level of popularity that seems to be required when you look at the other 3rd Party characters like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud.

We do have a little bit of Western Love in the game though with Rare's version of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, who is mostly based off of his Donkey Kong 64 incarnation.

There has to be a character out there that everyone wants. maybe it's an LoZ character or another character that were not expecting that we will all love to see in the game.

K. Rool IMO is that character for me personally and for a lot of other people. He's the main villain from one of the most iconic Nintendo games of all time + he has enormous popularity so that easily justifies him in the game. Combine that with the fact that relevancy isn't a deciding factor in the game (:4lucas::4feroy:) and he's feasible to appeal to pretty much everyone.

I was being half serious about wanting to see the internet explode over Pichu. For one, I do support Pichu to return to the series though it's funny to think of the prospect of people reacting to Pichu's return.
There's literally not. Some people don't like Legend of Zelda, some people don't like Pokémon, some people don't like Mario, some don't like 3rd Parties at all, etc, etc. So there is literally no way to find a character everyone wants. The best you can do is pick a character that it seems the majority would like to have based on the game(s) and characters popularity. Inklings, like them or not, seem to fit the bill thus far due to Splatoon's success.

In regards to King K. Rool, I think he'd be a great pick, but then the issue is that he's not relevant. Like you said, relevancy isn't an issue, though Lucas & Roy were more brought back due to being popular veterans (and Roy appeared as DLC in Fire Emblem Awakening), but it does mean that a lot of newer players and younger gamers wouldn't know who King K. Rool is due to being left out of the past couple Donkey Kong Country games.

Of course, I don't think King K. Rool is a bad idea at all, eau contraire, I think he's a great Newcomer choice, but he wouldn't fit that 'everyone would like' criteria you'd set forth.

I do not think these two characters should be anywhere overlooked. And yes, I'd be insanely upset if we are not getting either especially since they've been so prominent and dominant in the ballot and generall popularity overall. We really need to see these two awesome characters and franchises back to full glory. And I want Smash to pave the way.
We can't really say they've been 'dominant in the ballot' or even 'general popularity overall'. We literally only have Western Fan-Run Polls and random posts on Japan's MiiVerse to go off of and both of those are really only used by the Minority of those that took the Ballot...and even then, I don't feel that the polls were run that exceptionally well based on what I remember from the few I took since you could pick as many characters as you wanted and not just the one you actually voted for.

Always keep in mind, we more Hardcore Smash Bros. fans are actually the minority, even when it comes to people that would take the time to watch announcements and vote on a ballot. Unless Sakurai and/or Nintendo reveal who the most popular characters for the Ballot, we will never truly know how close or how far our polls and assumptions actually were.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There has to be a character out there that everyone wants. maybe it's an LoZ character or another character that were not expecting that we will all love to see in the game.

K. Rool IMO is that character for me personally and for a lot of other people. He's the main villain from one of the most iconic Nintendo games of all time + he has enormous popularity so that easily justifies him in the game. Combine that with the fact that relevancy isn't a deciding factor in the game (:4lucas::4feroy:) and he's feasible to appeal to pretty much everyone.

I was being half serious about wanting to see the internet explode over Pichu. For one, I do support Pichu to return to the series though it's funny to think of the prospect of people reacting to Pichu's return.
Roy and Lucas had the advantage of being in previous Smash games... Which honestly means more then a staring role in their own series. Pichu does too, but then again Pichu's most likely competing with Wolf. They're relevant because of Smash Bros, which leads to some circular logic to them getting in. Like, nobody wanted Wolf before Brawl. (Yeah, the backlash of him being on the roster with a Landmaster, not being Krystal, and being one of the last characters revealed and the whole "only 35 characters" thing gave him some ridiculous hate.) Or Ice Climbers before Melee. And yet, only because of their inclusion in Smash do people want them to return.

Roy had huge support to return to Smash 5, especially so in Japan. He wasn't as much suggested as Mewtwo or Megaman, but he was definitely up there. Maybe around the same level as King K.Rool support in Japan, which is pretty huge. I actually thought Roy returning was a definite sign from Sakurai that he cares about veterans coming back, as well as pleasing the crowd by giving them a popular requested character.

Btw, I don't get how people would say that King K.Rool wouldn't be hype. Just 5 days to go now, and people suddenly grow tired of talking about long-forgotten long-overdue characters as King K.Rool and Isaac? :rolleyes: Don't you guys get these two characters are so popular because of the insane moveset potential both of these characters have? And the sheer fact that both these characters represented a pincacle in Nintendo gaming at some point?

Donkey Kong Country from the SNES days was one of Nintendo's biggest marketing tools over their competitors at that time because of the revolutionary graphics, sound and fluid gameplay. King K.Rool represents that. Isaac does this in the game way, Golden Sun was a peak of what the GBA's visuals could create at the time, and it is the closest what Nintendo has to a true stategy-based and puzzle-based JRPG. Besides Pokémon, and later Fire Emblem (which MOSTLY got it's popularity from Marth and Roy's inclusion in Melee, face it) Golden Sun was easily the best Nintendo RPG of the time. Donkey Kong Country and Golden Sun are the prime quality of their gerne in Nintendo outside of their absolute Top Of The Top Of Top Tier franchises; Super Mario and Pokémon, series amply represented in Smash Bros. so far as we all know.

The only character that would fill the void of not having either Isaac of King K.Rool would be Banjo-Kazooie for me. They seem quite likely to, because Sakurai likely already would've included them in Melee if he could. And I really don't see which other character Microsoft-owned would make as much sense as they.
I don't think K. Rool and Issac are popular. They're popular on niche forums such as this and they act like an echo chamber... Moveset potential is arguable, and the funny thing is that Steve can do most anything that Issac can and more, besides summons. (Stage hazards, whee.) K. Rool's era is represented already by Diddy, and Issac just wasn't that big in reality.

Really, Golden Sun didn't revolutionize anything. The entire gameplay system was undermined by unleashes being more powerful then most spells and not costing anything, while summons took forever to cast outside of setting Djinn before the battle (which everybody did) and generally weren't worth the time compared to standard attacks. Nice music and pretty graphics doesn't make a good game... If you're looking for an older Nintendo RPG rep, that's what Paper Mario's for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do not underestimate the power of the Kollective Kuttroaths. Am quite sure the ballot has K.Rool in favorable position to be added.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What would you guys say to a Koopa Paratroopa making it in as a spiritual successor to Squirtle?
"Out of all the characters with Predefined Roles to get promoted this is what they chose? Now I know Sakurai is trolling us..."

Something along those lines...

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I do not underestimate the power of the Kollective Kuttroaths. Am quite sure the ballot has K.Rool in favorable position to be added.
Don't undermine Miiverse, either. :p

What would you guys say to a Koopa Paratroopa making it in as a spiritual successor to Squirtle?
Maybe if Paratroopa had it's own spin-off people wouldn't hate the everliving daylights out of it. Right now people would rather see Squirtle or even Bowser Jr. out of the cart.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
To me the most likely DLC characters seem to be the Inklings, Wolf, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and maybe Issac. I feel like other characters such as Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Impa and so on would just be somewhat anti-climactic at this point.

I don't really think there's a point to expressing my dream wants as they're extremely unlikely. Though I'm still hoping for internet breaking character such as Scorpion, Chief, or Lara Croft.

Kind of, "Meh." on Banjo and Kazooie though.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Maybe if Paratroopa had it's own spin-off people wouldn't hate the everliving daylights out of it. Right now people would rather see Squirtle or even Bowser Jr. out of the cart.
Why would a spin off be necessary? I mean, sure, Koopas are just common enemies, but they're the most common enemy from nintendo's biggest franchise and thus are very recognizable.

I mean, I'd prefer if squirtle made it back, but if not, I think there should be some other turtle character to take up his role.

And Bowser JR out f the cart isn't something I'd personally agree with, he's pretty awesome the way he is now imo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
. I feel like other characters such as Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Impa and so on would just be somewhat anti-climactic at this point.
Why would you think that?? I think all 3 characters are ideal candidates for a new character from their franchises and they are relatively lower in development time based on the fact they could base their movesets on characters already in the game slightly, like the semi-clones.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I few days ago I learned about a game Kakurenbo Battle Monster Tactics and the protagonist is a character named Kabin. I would like to see him as a DLC character. I hope that someone has him write in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, I think King K.Rool and Isaac are likely due to the challenge they could provide Sakurai in terms of their movesets being immensively diverse. Sure, for Ridley this didn't out too well, but at least Sakurai tried. Am quite sure he'd try his utmost best to create insanely unique movesets for both these characters as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

As this says "dedicated to", it's possible more DLC will come later during a different Direct.

There is nothing wrong with thinking this is the final DLC for Smash as well. It's just fair to think that might not be the case, as the wording implies it's not necessarily the only DLC possible. That said, we'll find out during the actual Direct anyway. Plus, balance patches probably will still come up, and someone like Wolf could be a DLC character in 2016, after his character model is revealed to the public.

To note, the only character I'm expecting at most is Inklings(if Sakurai is able to make them work well within the 3DS' limitations and make them fun in his opinion) as DLC. Anybody else is up in the air.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Also, I think King K.Rool and Isaac are likely due to the challenge they could provide Sakurai in terms of their movesets being immensively diverse. Sure, for Ridley this didn't out too well, but at least Sakurai tried. Am quite sure he'd try his utmost best to create insanely unique movesets for both these characters as well.
Err...I think Issac looks and has a personality that is a weee bit too similar to Cloud...

They're both RPG characters, both have blonde spiky hair, both wield a sword, and both have some form of magic...

I'd rather see some more diverse characters from the Mario franchise or Zelda or even Sonic than another blonde magic swordsman to be honest...

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Why would you think that?? I think all 3 characters are ideal candidates for a new character from their franchises and they are relatively lower in development time based on the fact they could base their movesets on characters already in the game slightly, like the semi-clones.
A.) they wouldn't be worth the build up. All this hype to reveal characters that honestly aren't all that monumental (subjective, I know) seems pointless. They seem more fitting for the base roster.
B.) I don't want any semi-clones. I was already tempted not to purchase Super Saiyan Ness and Roy. If the development team is going to spend time making new characters then it should be on a character that's unique.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
A.) they wouldn't be worth the build up. All this hype to reveal characters that honestly aren't all that monumental (subjective, I know) seems pointless. They seem more fitting for the base roster.
B.) I don't want any semi-clones. I was already tempted not to purchase Super Saiyan Ness and Roy. If the development team is going to spend time making new characters then it should be on a character that's unique.
Roy felt like a fresh new take on Marth's fencing playstyle, and he's GREAT for Home Run Contest. One Hit Flare Blade for the win!

My only disappointment with the DLC so far is that everyone just seems so....serious. Why can't we have joke characters ala DHD?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why wouldn't Roy fall under the 1st category? He's a highly requested character to return to the series just like Mewtwo and Lucas.
Yeah, he can...some of the categories can overlap; for example, you could also say Mewtwo and Lucas appeal to "hardcore Nintendo fans." Just based off of my evaluation, though, Roy was behind Wolf and Snake in terms of veterans people wanted back, and somewhat looked down upon in general due to being a fifth Fire Emblem character and a third Marth (semi-)clone. He was, however, a really beloved character among casual Melee fans (Sakurai even translated an anecdote once about a "black man" who thanked Sakurai personally for making Roy "just for him"), and had a big following in Japan as well.

You could probably also categorize DLC characters by which regions they appeal to the most, but I don't see much value in this unless some character with region-exclusive support (*cough* any indie *cough*) comes along against all odds. It doesn't make business sense to choose a character with region-exclusive appeal when there are alternatives with region-inclusive appeal instead.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I predict that we'll get three more characters in addition to Cloud, specifically one more veteran, one more first-party newcomer and one more third-party character. The likeliest characters for these categories, I think, would be Wolf, Inkling and Banjo-Kazooie.

Amiiben

Smash Cadet
I personally think Issac's time has gone,Barely anybody cares for him in the casual crowd of Nintendo fans that so happen to buy Smash

Amiiben

Smash Cadet
Except :4shulk: is relevant to nintendo
Didn't you hear that there's a new Xenoblade out?
And check a few wikis and BAM! A Xenoblade X advertisement
So yeahhhhhh.......

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
i still dunno why you all think that the details of the final direct are gonna be anything but wolf + pichu + here's how cloud works. like, really, i don't.

even in the announcement of 'hey guys last smash dlc incoming' you guys are trying to twist reality for it to somehow mean that it's not actually the last smash dlc incoming. also, do you see the mention of the ballot anywhere in that text? face it, ballot was a little popularity contest/suggestion box for smash 5, if it gets made.

this is the last hurrah for smash 4, i'm sure of it. there aint **** otherwise to suggest it isn't. and thank goodness, it'll be nice to have a complete game at last.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
:4shulk: dissaproves
:4shulk::4cloud:

Not looking good for Issac now is it. Shulk was added on the disc among with 50 others, while Cloud is a high-profile newcomer from a game series that INSPIRED Golden Sun. His appearance and personality seems very similar to Cloud's and Shulk's, and there's only so much DLC the team can make.

I wouldn't mind Issac in the next game, but variety is the spice of life.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, quite subjective indeed. You cannot however disagree with the fact that all 3 of these characters have had a huge revival in the past by becoming playable in their series after absense for a long time. Dixie Kong finally returned in Tropical Freeze, Impa returned to the franchise in Skyward Sword, and became playable in Hyrule Warriors, and Bandana Dee also had a break since his N64 appearance till the recent slew of Kirby games. All 3 franchises are majorly important Nintendo franchises, and will surely remain running for a long time. Why wouldn't they try to appeal to the fans of these games?
You might not want semi-clones, but that doesn't mean they aren't marketable. Why else would they bring back Roy and Lucas, and why else is Wolf the most requested veteran over the likes of Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur? It's eventually the character itself that has the appeal. I myself am not interessted in Cloud in the slightest, neither was I interessted in Ryu. Would I say they are unappealing? No. Besides, judging in how fast they delivered Roy, Lucas and Ryu, I'd guess that semi-clones are a nice quick addition to the game. Wolf and Toon Link being amongst the last characters added to Brawl also proofs this.

Also, Cloud borrows quite a few moves from other sword characters... Just saying.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'd like them to show off everything, even if some will release next year but preferably with dates not something like 'spring'.

Any details regarding the ballot or ballot results would be truly appreciated, but I don't expect them to show any of this.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Why is relevancy even an argument?

It didn't help Ridley. Ganondorf is currently deader than dead in all the Zelda timelines. And his famous form of Blue Pig Ganon was used nothing more than a carcass puppet. Shulk will suffer the same growing irrelevance problem that the Fire Emblem characters will suffer. And if he's somehow in XCX, don't you dare spoil it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
i still dunno why you all think that the details of the final direct are gonna be anything but wolf + pichu + here's how cloud works. like, really, i don't.

even in the announcement of 'hey guys last smash dlc incoming' you guys are trying to twist reality for it to somehow mean that it's not actually the last smash dlc incoming. also, do you see the mention of the ballot anywhere in that text? face it, ballot was a little popularity contest/suggestion box for smash 5, if it gets made.

this is the last hurrah for smash 4, i'm sure of it. there aint **** otherwise to suggest it isn't. and thank goodness, it'll be nice to have a complete game at last.
It's very true this could be the last DLC in terms of characters (I feel they'd probably continue at least Mii Costumes even after Sakurai has left DLC Development)

And I definitely understand that details on Cloud and probably the #1 most expected veteran Wolf to take up a good part of this direct.

But I don't know why you think Pichu is the final character however. Even Sakurai kinda viewed it as a joke. No attempt to bring it back whatsoever for Brawl when both Mewtwo and Roy did (Heck if Pra_Mai of the Forbidden 7 was indeed Plusle and Minun. Pichu was being replaced from the very start). And I think Snake, even with 3rd Party/Konami issues in mind is more likely as another veteran return then Pichu at this point.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I can understand why people don't want any more Pokémon reps, as there are other series that deserve love, but I am sick and tired of seeing the "You can only have six Pokémon on a team; the rest have to go into a box; therefore, we can't have more than six Pokémon!" argument. Since when has Pokémon logic ever mattered in Smash? Yes, type matchups were implemented in Brawl, but that was scrapped in this Smash. Mewtwo is heavier than Charizard in the Pokémon games, yet Mewtwo is one of the lightest characters in Smash while Charizard is a heavyweight. Charizard is a Flying-type Pokémon, yet it has fewer mid-air jumps than Jigglypuff, who can't fly. Pokémon have a limited amount of moves they can use (PP), yet the Pokémon in Smash never run out of PP.

Tl;dr: It's perfectly fine to not want any more Pokémon reps for Smash, but detractors should at least come up with a better reason for why they think so.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Err...I think Issac looks and has a personality that is a weee bit too similar to Cloud...

They're both RPG characters, both have blonde spiky hair, both wield a sword, and both have some form of magic...

I'd rather see some more diverse characters from the Mario franchise or Zelda or even Sonic than another blonde magic swordsman to be honest...
Oh...here we go again...

'Not another blonde swordsman'...

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Yes, quite subjective indeed. You cannot however disagree with the fact that all 3 of these characters have had a huge revival in the past by becoming playable in their series after absense for a long time. Dixie Kong finally returned in Tropical Freeze, Impa returned to the franchise in Skyward Sword, and became playable in Hyrule Warriors, and Bandana Dee also had a break since his N64 appearance till the recent slew of Kirby games. All 3 franchises are majorly important Nintendo franchises, and will surely remain running for a long time. Why wouldn't they try to appeal to the fans of these games?

You might not want semi-clones, but that doesn't mean they aren't marketable. Why else would they bring back Roy and Lucas, and why else is Wolf the most requested veteran over the likes of Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur? It's eventually the character itself that has the appeal. I myself am not interessted in Cloud in the slightest, neither was I interessted in Ryu. Would I say they are unappealing? No. Besides, judging in how fast they delivered Roy, Lucas and Ryu, I'd guess that semi-clones are a nice quick addition to the game. Wolf and Toon Link being amongst the last characters added to Brawl also proofs this.

Also, Cloud borrows quite a few moves from other sword characters... Just saying.
A.) That really wasn't my point. My point is that they'd be anti-climatic. Yes they're prominent in there series, but they really wouldn't be all that exhilarating. Especially for the final cut of DLC.

B.) The problem is that you're comparing veterans to newcomers. They already have move sets in place and honestly shouldn't have been cut in the first place.

C.) Yes Cloud borrows from other swordsmen, but that's like saying that Sonic is a Falco clone because he has a similar d-smash, b-air, u-air, and f-air. There's, but so much you can really do with a sword in terms of animation.

I'm not hating on any of these characters though. I think it's stupid that huge franchise such as Zelda, DK, and Kirby haven't received a newcomer. I just believed they'd be anti-climatic additions.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Not looking good for Issac now is it. Shulk was added on the disc among with 50 others, while Cloud is a high-profile newcomer from a game series that INSPIRED Golden Sun. His appearance and personality seems very similar to Cloud's and Shulk's, and there's only so much DLC the team can make.

I don't support Isaac but I can tell you that being another blonde swordsman is an extremely arbitrary criteria for excluding him outside of your own personal beliefs.

Ironically, you say this while heavily supporting yet another Mario character who is literally orange tomboy Peach.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Similar hair, like :4robinm::4shulk:
Same basic genre.
Damn well nothing else in common.
Cloud using a two-handed greatsword while Isaac holds a longsword.
Isaac would have his moveset most revolve around the Djin and Psynergy, being most similar to :4robinm::4robinf: being a "Magiknight."
And something to still consider.
Isaac is in the big 4 for Nintendo Characters being requested in the Ballot, and one of the two that were existant before Brawl.
Considering Sakurai's already used Isaac in a capacity that didn't use his sword at all, there's not a case to be made that he'd see the support for Isaac and say "Oh, he's just :4cloud: with magic."

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
And he says this while asking fora TENTH Mario character. :rotfl:
Ironically, you say this while heavily supporting yet another Mario character who is literally orange tomboy Peach.
As you said with Issac, being a Mario character is an arbitrary rule, especially as Mario has more recognisable and relevant characters than every other Nintendo franchise.

Rather, characters should probably be included for their own merits. I want Daisy because I think she's a feisty tomboy who would potentially pull stuff from Mario Party/Sports/Baseball stuff, while having a flower/crystal motif, which hasn't really been done before. Same with people wanting Paper Mario b/c of paper abilities and Issac for earth powers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom