• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A.) That really wasn't my point. My point is that they'd be anti-climatic. Yes they're prominent in there series, but they really wouldn't be all that exhilarating. Especially for the final cut of DLC.
Well I still think that's hugely subjective. They are well known characters for both the hardcore fanbase as casual Nintendo players. And I doubt anything is gonna beat the surprise that was Cloud at this point. So I don't see any need to create more mass hype, as the most has already been achieved by Cloud, and likely won't be overruled even by the likes of K.Rool, Snake, Inkling or God-forbid, Shovel Knight.
B.) The problem is that you're comparing veterans to newcomers. They already have move sets in place and honestly shouldn't have been cut in the first place.
My point still stands regarding Wolf and Toon Link as the last Brawl additions however. The more the merrier after all. And this stategy has been applied to Melee (:falcomelee::drmario::pichumelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:), Brawl (:toonlink::wolf:), and Smash 4 (:4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:) in regards of which characters where added as the last batch of newcomers. It's not too :083: to speculate this might happen to DLC to. Especially considering DKC and Zelda really could use an extra character.

C.) Yes Cloud borrows from other swordsmen, but that's like saying that Sonic is a Falco clone because he has a similar d-smash, b-air, u-air, and f-air. There's, but so much you can really do with a sword in terms of animation.
Sonic doesn't share an U Air animation with Falco, but yes I see your point.
I'm not hating on any of these characters though. I think it's stupid that huge franchise such as Zelda, DK, and Kirby haven't received a newcomer. I just believed they'd be anti-climatic additions.
Well I think filling a void for a newcomer for these series is already fullfilling for certain people already. Plus, one could argue Impa and Dixie have missed the boat due to Smash starting development before Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors came out. Am pretty sure would Smash have started development 6 months later, Dixie and Impa would've been on the base roster. They are ideal exta characters with not too much time involvement. I see them as ideal DLC candidates because of this.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I wonder if the fact that Dixie and K.Rool not making too many appearances in Mario spinoffs like Mario Kart has prevented them from joining...

Donkey and Diddy are pretty heavily represented in Mario games...

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
Until now we only received veterans or very popular newcomers, Cloud is the newcomer I think this direct would be just like E3 smash direct, 2 veterans and 1 newcomer
So I predict Wolf and Snake or maybe another veteran (like Mewtwo) who can be a melee veteran maybe Pichu to make fighters pack 2 and ballot would be the pack 3

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wonder if the fact that Dixie and K.Rool not making too many appearances in Mario spinoffs like Mario Kart has prevented them from joining...

Donkey and Diddy are pretty heavily represented in Mario games...
No.
The roster was chosen before Tropical Freeze, making Dixie largely irrelevant.

And K. Rool still had his stagnation of a major role in a DK title.

Donkey Kong is in the Mario Spin-Offs because... he's DK. The original villain (technically).

Diddy is the "little buddy." The most popular character of the series besides the big ape, and the one to strike out for his spin-off.
Dixie is a fairly easy seat filler because she's got mild popularity and can be done off a base of Diddy while K. Rool is too unique in build to be easily made up into a game.

Their matters are because of the nature of the DK series, where the last game before choices was Returns which only had DK and Diddy.

It's like saying Ashley is an assist trophy because she isn't in Mario Tennis.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
No.
The roster was chosen before Tropical Freeze, making Dixie largely irrelevant.

And K. Rool still had his stagnation of a major role in a DK title.

Donkey Kong is in the Mario Spin-Offs because... he's DK. The original villain (technically).

Diddy is the "little buddy." The most popular character of the series besides the big ape, and the one to strike out for his spin-off.
Dixie is a fairly easy seat filler because she's got mild popularity and can be done off a base of Diddy while K. Rool is too unique in build to be easily made up into a game.

Their matters are because of the nature of the DK series, where the last game before choices was Returns which only had DK and Diddy.

It's like saying Ashley is an assist trophy because she isn't in Mario Tennis.
To be fair, when development of Tropical Freeze started, Sakurai could have easily met with the team and probably did. Sakurai has insider-knowledge that consumers do not obtain until MUCH later. The same sort of situation happened with Greninja if I recall correctly. Regardless, Dixie Kong had merit beyond Tropical Freeze in the first place.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
So.... Sceptile has been officially confirmed for Pokken. And now, there are more people that want him in but the ballot is closed.

Just my luck

Morbi

Scavenger
So.... Sceptile has been officially confirmed for Pokken. And now, there are more people that want him in but the ballot is closed.

Just my luck
The same happened to Banjo and Kazooie. He had very little support from speculation circles. The ballot closed, Cloud was revealed, people realized that Nintendo were not spiteful at random companies... And then they began to desire Banjo. I just hope his casual support was enough.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
The same happened to Banjo and Kazooie. He had very little support from speculation circles. The ballot closed, Cloud was revealed, people realized that Nintendo were not spiteful at random companies... And then they began to desire Banjo. I just hope his casual support was enough.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his support increased when Phil Spencer tweeted about how Banjo being in Smash would be "cool".
This was before the Ballot closed.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Just my luck
Remember: The ballot was more of a suggestion ballot if anything. Just because a character has a lot of votes, doesn't mean he or she is going to get in the game. The only thing popularity does is capture Sakurai's attention. Even though Sceptile gained a lot more popularity after the poll ended, I still think it was a popular enough request to get Sakurai's attention. In fact, I have a feeling that Sceptile was added into this game as a consolation prize. Perhaps Sakurai saw that people wanted Sceptile in Smash, but for some reason he didn't want it in. It's most likely due to the fact that he probably felt there was enough Pokemon in the game. Just my theory, but aall I can say is wait until the 15th before getting really disappointed. You'll never know; he might have been chosen!

Edit: At the same time though, keep your expectations low. While I do think Sceptile has a chance, I think it's a pretty low chance. He's more of a dark horse character if anything.

Last edited:

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Quick question:

Do you guys think we're going to get to download content the day of the direct? I have this fear that it's just going to be reveals and we're going to have to wait even longer to get any stuff..

ShadyClash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zachmobile
Anyone else want offline tournament mode as a free DLC? I think it's possible.
I agree. The removal of tournament mode at launch seemed like kind of a step back. However, nowadays, we live in a world run by the internet. I'm not saying that offline tournament mode is impossible, I'm just saying a whole lot of people are satisfied with the online version. Despite how much I personally want offline back as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Err...I think Issac looks and has a personality that is a weee bit too similar to Cloud...

They're both RPG characters, both have blonde spiky hair, both wield a sword, and both have some form of magic...

I'd rather see some more diverse characters from the Mario franchise or Zelda or even Sonic than another blonde magic swordsman to be honest...
Issac's personality isn't anything like Cloud's... Issac more or less doesn't even have a personality. Not even funny little quips or actions like another "blank" character like Paper Mario or Villager. I guess if I had to describe his personality, he's basically everything not to do with silent protagonists...

I doubt being a blonde, magic-y swordsman is keeping him out of Smash. His moveset potential is okay in my eyes... Besides putting down rocks he's not really special.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Quick question:

Do you guys think we're going to get to download content the day of the direct? I have this fear that it's just going to be reveals and we're going to have to wait even longer to get any stuff..
It's been WAY too long since we've gotten characters, so I fully expect two more to be released along side Cloud on the 15th. Then, they may reveal more characters (Ballot) to be released throughout 2016

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
An offline Tournament Mode would be cool and all, but honestly I would be a lot more hyped for an Adventure Mode...Classic Mode isn't cutting it...and Trash Tour certainly isn't cutting it...

At least give us Smash Run for the Wii U, although it still leaves a lot to be desired...

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It's been WAY too long since we've gotten characters, so I fully expect two more to be released along side Cloud on the 15th. Then, they may reveal more characters (Ballot) to be released throughout 2016
I think it would be great to have 3 for the 15th, then 3 more for 2016 - if development time allows for this.

I'm sticking with my prediction since the start of ballot that is getting 8 DLC characters , so 4 more including Cloud. :)

Morbi

Scavenger
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his support increased when Phil Spencer tweeted about how Banjo being in Smash would be "cool".
This was before the Ballot closed.
Sure, people still believed that Nintendo advertising the competition made him highly unlikely, however. This was around when the ballot opened which is why he tweeted that in the first place. My point was more or less that he would have accrued a lot more votes if the Cloud announcement came prior to the ballot closing in the same vein that Sceptile would have had more support if the Pokken reveal happened at a more convenient time. Though, to be honest, that is not saying much. A lot would change.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie...

I personally find the DLC content for Smash 4 to be pretty disappointing. The only stuff that I actually enjoyed were Ryu, the return of the N64 stages, and Mario Maker. The other stuff just feels kind of lame to me.

Like, some of this stuff shouldn't have been cut in the first place. There was really no reason for Lucas, Snake, or Wolf to be cut. I don't know... I just don't like the idea of having to purchase a character that honestly should've been there in the first place.

Other stuff just makes me cringe. I personally find the mii costumes to be the biggest waste. I mean really.... The combine total of the mii costumes is $20 plus dollars. Not only that, but the costumes don't even represent the characters in the right way. Lloyd with one sword? Viridi sword fighter? Really?

Anyway, what I'm really hoping for is an extension to the single player content. Honestly? Content wise I believe that Brawl is superior to 4. You had Subspace Emmisary, break the targets, boss battles, etc.... Here you just have a terrible angry birds clone, trophy rush (which honestly isn't all that fun), smash imbalanced bore-fest board, master/crazy hand challenges (which are basically just the same missions over and over again, but with different characters: fight metal link, fight metal mario, fight metal dk, etc), and a bunch of miscellaneous modes that were present in previous titles.

I also hate what they did with classic mode. There's literally no substance to these battles. They're literally just random battles with random characters (with the occasional pop up of a a metal character or something around those lines). 8 player smash also comes off as really forced making it an extremely unpleasant experience.

Another thing we need is an update to the stage creator. I mean really. This has to be one of those most barren stage creators I've ever seen. The lack of customization is cringe worthy. I hope they gives us the ability to add things like spikes, traps, enemies, falling platforms, etc. Heck, themed costume packs would be awesome! I'd totally purchase a stage creator DLC pack based on Fire Emblem, or Mario.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not going to lie...

I personally find the DLC content for Smash 4 to be pretty disappointing. The only stuff that I actually enjoyed were Ryu, the return of the N64 stages, and Mario Maker. The other stuff just feels kind of lame to me.

Like, some of this stuff shouldn't have been cut in the first place. There was really no reason for Lucas, Snake, or Wolf to be cut. I don't know... I just don't like the idea of having to purchase a character that honestly should've been there in the first place.

Other stuff just makes me cringe. I personally find the mii costumes to be the biggest waste. I mean really.... The combine total of the mii costumes is $20 plus dollars. Not only that, but the costumes don't even represent the characters in the right way. Lloyd with one sword? Viridi sword fighter? Really?

Anyway, what I'm really hoping for is an extension to the single player content. Honestly? Content wise I believe that Brawl is superior to 4. You had Subspace Emmisary, break the targets, boss battles, etc.... Here you just have a terrible angry birds clone, trophy rush (which honestly isn't all that fun), smash imbalanced bore-fest board, master/crazy hand challenges (which are basically just the same missions over and over again, but with different characters: fight metal link, fight metal mario, fight metal dk, etc), and a bunch of miscellaneous modes that were present in previous titles.

I also hate what they did with classic mode. There's literally no substance to these battles. They're literally just randoms battles with random characters (with the occasional pop up of a a metal character or something around those lines). 8 player smash also comes off as really forced making it an extremely pleasant experience.

Another thing we need is an update to the stage creator. I mean really. This has to be one of those most barren stage creators I've ever seen. The lack of customization is cringe worthy. I hope they gives us the ability to add things like spikes, traps, enemies, falling platforms, etc. Heck, themed costume packs would be awesome! I'd totally purchase a stage creator DLC pack based on Fire Emblem, or Mario.
I would hate to nitpick; however, there is a perfectly reasonable reason for Snake's omission. Do not get me wrong, I agree with most of what you are saying despite actually enjoying the content myself, there are still issues with the DLC even if I can look past them. The Snake issue was more or less out of Sakurai's hands and if it was not, I believe he made the right choice distancing himself from Konami in the first place. I want Snake, and I still even believe he has a chance, but there was most certainly a reason for his exclusion.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I do agree with the Mii costumes being meh. I would be interested in Character alternates more.

As for last predictions for DLC, I'm hoping for stage builder parts,
and if I were to make a pipe dream prediction I would say a stage hazard toggle for stages. Last of patches (They bring back diddy's hoo-haa :troll:)

Character wise
- King K. Rool/Dixie Kong/ Any DKC character please! I will even take Rambi!
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Wolf/Snake
- Issac

I'm not sure if all the characters will be available on the 15th after the direct, or if we'll get some on the 15th and other down the line.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
While it would have been nice for characters like Sceptile and Banjo-Kazooie to get more votes, it's important to keep in mind that the Ballot is more of a "suggestion box" than anything. It's ultimately up to Sakurai to go through the submissions and choose characters he feel would fit best into the game while still pleasing many people. Just because a character has the most votes doesn't mean it will be automatically chosen. If that were the case, we would probably have Goku and Ridley in Smash which is not happening any time soon, or possibly ever.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I'm not going to lie...

I also hate what they did with classic mode. There's literally no substance to these battles. They're literally just randoms battles with random characters (with the occasional pop up of a a metal character or something around those lines). 8 player smash also comes off as really forced making it an extremely pleasant experience.

I 100% agree. Brawl is way better content wise than smash 4. Honestly I think the reason for this is the 3DS version. If they had pulled a Hyrule Warriors and devoted all their efforts to the Wii u version, then did a port to 3DS afterwards, we would have probably gotten more content and characters. Brawl also had that epic feeling with the art style and the music. Honestly if smash 4 didn't have DLC, it would have perished easily due to lack of stuff to do. The only thing smash 4 has is multiplayer, but if you don't have your favorite character to play as, it gets boring. Trust me I still argue that they could have squeezed in some more characters if they didn't make 3 completely different mii fighters, which can't be used online. They should have just gone with one type of mii fighter.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I feel like this iteration focused mainly on characters.
I'm hoping the next one will focus more on modes to make use all these wonderful characters.
I wouldn't be disappointed if Smash 5 had fewer new comers, but had more in game options and modes.

Smash 4 can still potentially offer some great game mode DLC.

• A True Classic Mode: In previous games you played against characters from various franchises on their own stages, making you feel like you're invading their universe. In Smash 4 it's just a randomized mess. It's lost a lot of it's appeal.
  • Adventure Mode: Even if Sub Space Emissary is too extensive and time consuming, something akin to Melee's adventure mode would have sufficed. It would have been nice to battle some iconic bosses that aren't suitable as playable characters.
  • New Stock New Character: We get a glimmer of this type of mode with Smash Tour, at the end you with all your obtained characters fight in a stock match, with each character representing one stock. It would be great to have this type of mode to select in the same way you choose between Time, Stock, Coin, etc.
  • Online Stock Matches: Let's face it, most of us enjoy stock matches more so than timed.
  • Break The Targets: These were fun because it gave you an opportunity to use each characters abilities in a diverse way, other than combat. It was really fun, and that new rip off of Angry Birds doesn't do the job, since you're not even making use of the characters full abilities, rather you just use a Smash attack.
  • Board The Platforms: Another great mode, in the same vein of fun Break The Targets was.
  • Item Frequency: It would be nice to be able to set various frequencies for certain items so some can appear more often than others. At our own discretion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, he can...some of the categories can overlap; for example, you could also say Mewtwo and Lucas appeal to "hardcore Nintendo fans." Just based off of my evaluation, though, Roy was behind Wolf and Snake in terms of veterans people wanted back, and somewhat looked down upon in general due to being a fifth Fire Emblem character and a third Marth (semi-)clone. He was, however, a really beloved character among casual Melee fans (Sakurai even translated an anecdote once about a "black man" who thanked Sakurai personally for making Roy "just for him"), and had a big following in Japan as well.

You could probably also categorize DLC characters by which regions they appeal to the most, but I don't see much value in this unless some character with region-exclusive support (*cough* any indie *cough*) comes along against all odds. It doesn't make business sense to choose a character with region-exclusive appeal when there are alternatives with region-inclusive appeal instead.
Don't take offense to this Kupa but that's a horrible HORRIBLE and very biased way to determine why a character is wanted. It sounds to me like your're grouping him in that category because you simply don't like the character. Not that I disagree with Roy being popular among casuals, it's just that your logic is biased and flawed. Especially considering you're judging a character who's game never saw an international release and yet his game is one of the best selling FE games of all time in Japan and helped revitalize the series from obscurity.

What your're saying is almost akin to someone saying this...

:4mewtwo:: "He only got in because he's a Melee vet and butthurt Genwunner's threw a hissy fit because he wasn't in the game."

Last edited:

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is something that bothers anybody else, but I kind of feel like adding veterans as paid DLC is a cheap move.

Ryu and Cloud seem like perfectly acceptable DLC characters. They're two third party characters whose franchises have never been represented in the rosters of previous games, and they feel very much like they could be afterthoughts, and at the very least, they feel like legitimate bonus content. They're new, and they feel new and third party enough that you don't really feel like you're missing out unless you actually really want them.

With veterans, though, it just feels like a cash in. You know that bringing back Mewtwo and Lucas had to have crossed the developers' minds in the process of making the game. Especially Mewtwo, since a lot of people already complained about him not being in Brawl. In other words, instead of feeling like new bonus material that the developers later chose to add on, it feels like they just intentionally cut these fan favorites so that they could sell them as DLC later on.

On the other hand, I DO like how they handled the DLC system in this game in general. A lot of games with buyable characters will tease you with images of them on the character select screen. Smash Bros is actually pretty respectful with its DLC though; I never really felt at any point like the game itself was pestering me to buy additional content.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
It's very true this could be the last DLC in terms of characters (I feel they'd probably continue at least Mii Costumes even after Sakurai has left DLC Development)

And I definitely understand that details on Cloud and probably the #1 most expected veteran Wolf to take up a good part of this direct.

But I don't know why you think Pichu is the final character however. Even Sakurai kinda viewed it as a joke. No attempt to bring it back whatsoever for Brawl when both Mewtwo and Roy did (Heck if Pra_Mai of the Forbidden 7 was indeed Plusle and Minun. Pichu was being replaced from the very start). And I think Snake, even with 3rd Party/Konami issues in mind is more likely as another veteran return then Pichu at this point.
simply sayin that it makes it look like 'everyone came home'. konami has literally gone insane, so i really doubt snake has a chance at all, and again people think of pt when they think of squirtle/ivy and charizard already reps that. pichu, however much a joke or disliked he was, is still individual enough that peeps notice his absence. so by bringing pichu back they effectively bring back everyone from prior games. initial missing from melee: pichu + roy + m2. from brawl: wolf + lucas. would it be nice to have snake back, but y'all are crazy if you think konami's in any state to play ball.

What your're saying is almost akin to someone saying this...

:4mewtwo:: "He only got in because he's a Melee vet and butthurt Genwunner's threw a hissy fit because he wasn't in the game."
this is correct though? mewtwo's some lame artifact from bad gen1 design that everyone latched onto because of melee lasting so long and because until gen 6 legendary design was ****. who the **** clamoring for m2 actually even uses him, lol? i have a friend that's diehard pokemon fan and even he's like 'geez mewtwo's trash back to tink for me!'

Last edited by a moderator:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I am cool with Cloud being in, don't get why all the "just another generic swordsman" salt, and since someone mentioned the ballot, I was originally gonna vote for Isaac but decided against it and gave it to another character.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Why would a spin off be necessary? I mean, sure, Koopas are just common enemies, but they're the most common enemy from nintendo's biggest franchise and thus are very recognizable.
Honestly, when you have more demanded and popular Mario characters, such as Daisy & Waluigi, both of whom could likely bring more to the series then a generic enemy, then its a really bad idea..not to mention everything the Koopa Troopas could do can already be done either by Bowser or the Koopa Shell items already present in the game.

Not to mention both Koopa Troopas and Koopa Paratroopas are already enemies in Smash Run, it would get too confusing to include them in the game as Playable Characters.

As this says "dedicated to", it's possible more DLC will come later during a different Direct.

There is nothing wrong with thinking this is the final DLC for Smash as well. It's just fair to think that might not be the case, as the wording implies it's not necessarily the only DLC possible. That said, we'll find out during the actual Direct anyway. Plus, balance patches probably will still come up, and someone like Wolf could be a DLC character in 2016, after his character model is revealed to the public.

To note, the only character I'm expecting at most is Inklings(if Sakurai is able to make them work well within the 3DS' limitations and make them fun in his opinion) as DLC. Anybody else is up in the air.
While that argument can be made, its wishful thinking, at best. It seems likely that Sakurai would want to have a definitive end to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U Development and have a whole big event for it, such as this Broadcast, stating what can be expected to happen now and thank the fans for their support.

Everything screams to this being it for Super Smash Bros. DLC and, honestly, we've gotten quite a bit and a full year of support for the game.

We'll likely know for sure during this Broadcast as I'm sure it'll be mentioned in some way.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You can always ask for "King"-versions of the generic enemies.
We already got King Koopa, but Goomboss, King Bob-Omb, King Boo and Petey Piranha can bring a lot to the game, while using some moves from their generic counterparts.

That said, if Bowser isn't generic enough for your tastes and you feel we need a more Koopa-esque Koopa, maybe Boom Boom is a nice choice?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I would run myself head first into a brick wall if Isaac got in now. Aside from the fact that he's a bland character from a dead franchise, he is quite simply "samey" to so many other characters on the roster, TWO OF WHICH ARE ALREADY DLC. Yeah so what, he'd be "slightly different". And anyone here can try to justify that he'd be different with these little details that would differentiate him slightly from the other dozen sword characters in the game, but do you know what would be really different? Someone who is actually different! There are so many characters out there that would provide a completely unique and fresh gameplay experience, even characters who I would detest having in like Shovel Knight or Shantae would at least bring something to the table. (Just to note, I don't dislike these characters, I don't even dislike Isaac. I dislike the idea of them being in Smash Bros. at this time).

I'm not saying here that it's necessarily wrong that anyone would want Isaac in, everyone likes what they like and no one is going to change that (and I certainly wouldn't want to). But I find it ridiculous that people here are giving someone a hard time when they say they want something different.
How ****ing ridiculous would it be to have 3 generic RPG sword users as DLC when the total number of DLC characters is so limited? Especially when we were hardly starved of that "trope" on the disc to begin with. For god's sake, I want something fresh.

There are characters that I would be genuinely bummed out if they added, but I'd still probably lick my wounds and buy them (like the aforementioned indies). Another boring sword user? That would be enough for me to completely lose interest in this game, permanently. After a year of hype and waiting, and speculation, and ups and downs. If all we really got at the end of this entire period of time, the ballot, gave us another handful of generic sword users, I'd be more than willing to move on.

Unless they also added like a Banjo-Kazooie level character.

His fans have also greatly been over exaggerating his popularity for a long damn time, also.

As a side note, as much as I love Wolf as a character (he was my favorite on Brawl, and I bought a Wii just to play as him in Brawl), and while part of me would still love him to return, another part of me is fine with the fact that I'm almost certain he isn't coming back. At this point, all I'm craving above all else is a unique experience with characters who are worthy of being in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I would run myself head first into a brick wall if Isaac got in now. Aside from the fact that he's a bland character from a dead franchise, he is quite simply "samey" to so many other characters on the roster, TWO OF WHICH ARE ALREADY DLC. Yeah so what, he'd be "slightly different". And anyone here can try to justify that he'd be different with these little details that would differentiate him slightly from the other dozen sword characters in the game, but do you know what would be really different? Someone who is actually different! There are so many characters out there that would provide a completely unique and fresh gameplay experience, even characters who I would detest having in like Shovel Knight or Shantae would at least bring something to the table. (Just to note, I don't dislike these characters, I don't even dislike Isaac. I dislike the idea of them being in Smash Bros. at this time).

I'm not saying here that it's necessarily wrong that anyone would want Isaac in, everyone likes what they like and no one is going to change that (and I certainly wouldn't want to). But I find it ridiculous that people here are giving someone a hard time when they say they want something different.
How ****ing ridiculous would it be to have 3 generic RPG sword users as DLC when the total number of DLC characters is so limited? Especially when we were hardly starved of that "trope" on the disc to begin with. For god's sake, I want something fresh.

There are characters that I would be genuinely bummed out if they added, but I'd still probably lick my wounds and buy them (like the aforementioned indies). Another boring sword user? That would be enough for me to completely lose interest in this game, permanently. After a year of hype and waiting, and speculation, and ups and downs. If all we really got at the end of this entire period of time, the ballot, gave us another handful of generic sword users, I'd be more than willing to move on.

His fans have also greatly been over exaggerating his popularity for a long damn time, also.

As a side note, as much as I love Wolf as a character (he was my favorite on Brawl, and I bought a Wii just to play as him in Brawl), and while part of me would still love him to return, another part of me is fine with the fact that I'm almost certain he isn't coming back. At this point, all I'm craving above all else is a unique experience with characters who are worthy of being in Smash Bros.
Gimr D1 Facepalm.PNG

Surely like something Psynergy would be enough for him to differentiate between the rest of the sword users, especially taking a certain Brawl mod into consideration.

Just save his actual sword attacks for a few of his aerials for something like that and you already have something more unique than the other two sword users.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Quick question:

No way they're not releasing something for Christmas.
My hope is Cloud/Midgar + a couple of veterans right now, and a season pass announced for 2016 which includes the Ballot winners and some more stuff.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
As much as I hate seeing this thread, allow me to dispel the notion of Isaac being 'Generic' and continue Cyber's previous point about Isaac's potential.

Can (pick up a boulder) create energy hands capable of moving objects or people with (Relative) ease?
Move Psynergy. Thanks to Brawl, I'd probably say that anyone who's played it will associate this with Isaac.

Makes earthquakes that can shoot people into the air?
We don't have any character in Smash that manipulates the earth itself. That is in itself, a unique feature Isaac can bring to Smash Bros.

Drop (Crushing rocks) on his opponents seem such a breeze?

Shoot vines out of the ground and ensnare his opponents?

He may not need his sword, he can wield an ax, this Golden Son, is a worthy Smash Bros Candidate!!

Like I said above, I'm beginning to hate this thread more and more. This chain of anti-Isaac propaganda grinds my gears, given he's one of my most wanted. I'd argue if K. Rool wasn't number one in my wish list, it'd be Isaac who'd be number 1.

And to compare him to the other RPG heroes like Cloud and Shulk?

:4cloud: wields the Buster Sword - one of the most memorable swords in gaming, yet Isaac doesn't need any sword to be Isaac. His ability to manipulate the Earth is what makes him unique. Another point - Cloud has no means of manipulating the earth outside of his own series magic such as Stone, Stonega (Which aren't in FFVII), or the Titan Summon, none of them apart of Cloud's moveset. Isaac is a natural born Venus Adept, giving him full control over the earth and the battlefield as a weapon.

Similarly, :4shulk: wields the Monado (and the meme-ist addition), which allows him to see into the future. The Monado is what makes Shulk Shulk. He also doesn't really use 'magic' or Psynergy, rather, Arts that are probably infused with Ether, and none of those create land transformations akin to Isaac.

Bottom line - Isaac does not need a sword to be Isaac. His Venus Psynergy does it for him.

And another thing - Isaac can also rely on other types of Psynergy - Wind (Jupiter Psynergy) Fire (Mars Psynergy) Water (Mercury Psynergy) He could blend skills like Planet Diver or Astral Blast into his moveset!

Once more, I loathe this thread sometimes. I'm just doing what I do as an Adept and clear up any sort of falsehoods made to downgrade Isaac's chance to make it in to Smash Bros. I'm certain that throughout the Ballot life, Isaac had both a strong voice, and a quiet, but dedicated number of people who expressed a desire to see their favourite GBA hero in a celebration of Nintendo All-Stars. And let's say we get someone like K. Rool and Isaac revealed at the same time? I get the best of both worlds! I am not afraid to proclaim that I love Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy and any other RPG!!

I've got that out of my system. Now all that I ask is can we move on from this line of anti-Isaac thinking?

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Seek professional help. Immediately. Purposefully causing possible brain damage to yourself is an unhealthy, illogical, and foolish reaction to a character getting into a video game. ;)

And with all due respect, the "boring sword user", "generic RPG sword wielder", etc., is one of the stupidest things that this community complains about. Most of the sword characters in this game play absolutely nothing like each other, it's a very narrow-minded complaint that is literally "judging a book by it's cover" for characters. Akin to complaining about Ryu because "We have too many fist fighters in Smash!"

Let's look at the swordfighters in Smash, shall we?

:4link::4marth::4metaknight::4shulk::4robinm::4mii::4feroy::4cloud::4myfriends::4lucina::4tlink:

That's 11 characters who use the same primary weapon. About a fifth of the roster. Considering the sword is the most commonly used weapon EVER, that's hardly surprising.

Now, how many of these character play similarly to another character?

Well, :4tlink::4feroy::4lucina: are various stages of clones of other characters, so obviously those 3. Mii's steal a few moves from other characters, but that's not just for the Mii swordsman. A few animations are borrowed from other characters, but that's true for most of the damn roster. Other then that, these characters are unique compared to each other, save for the fact that they use the same primary weapons. At which point you'd be better off complaining that too many characters use their legs to kick people. -_-

Oh, and about Isaac. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, because Isaac has so much more then just swords in his arsenal. ("Slightly different", "little details"? I actually laughed.) Don't believe me, check out how he works in Super Smash Flash 2, he's got plenty of stuff to work with to make him vastly different from other characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom