• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
The only characters that i believe would match Cloud are Scorpion, Lara-Croft, or Master Chief. At least in terms of sheer unexpectedness and breaking the internet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only characters that i believe would match Cloud are Scorpion, Lara-Croft, or Master Chief. At least in terms of sheer unexpectedness and breaking the internet.
Considering all of them have been heavily discussed at this point, they wouldn't be that unexpected in comparison to Cloud.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It wasn't even really in a mocking way in the Japanese version; it was more like he was hamming it up. Basically instead of "You'll face the bitterness of defeat...right after Robin gets the Smash Ball," it was more like "Please get the Smash Ball, Robin!" with a shakier voice. :p
I wasn't talking about that.

IIRC there was a video of him doing Chrom's reaction to not being selected for Smash. He said something like "What? How could this be happening?!"

:231:

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
If we were going to get another FE character, it would have to be somebody other than a swordsmen. I've been the longest supporter of Tiki and Ephraim, they both represent an aspect of Fire Emblem the current FE characters in smash can't. Particularly Tiki, who has been in the more (I think) Fire Emblem games than any other character. She would also represents Manaketes, which represents a big part of the FE series and provides a source for a creative moveset.

Like @Lady Kuki said though, any new character would probably face backlash. And it's understandable, the amount of space they take up in the roster doesn't match up with the importance of the franchise compared to others. It's just so easy to pick character from FE since there are so many of them.

----------------------------------------------

On a side note about Chrom, I don't know why but I'm honestly okay with Lucina being there instead. I don't know if it's the difference in their build, but Chrom as a clone of Marth doesn't sit well with me.
Lucina as a Marth clone doesn't sit well with me. Chrom not being playable doesn't sit well with me lol
I've always liked the idea of Hector or Ephraim in Smash, since they wield something besides swords (Axes and Lances)
I believe Anna has been in more FE games than Tiki, as Tiki has been in Marth's games and Awakening. I might be wrong.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Simply wielding a different weapon isn't really a good enough reason to pick one character over another... Which is probably why sword users outnumber the alternate melee weapon users combined.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Lucina as a Marth clone doesn't sit well with me. Chrom not being playable doesn't sit well with me lol
I've always liked the idea of Hector or Ephraim in Smash, since they wield something besides swords (Axes and Lances)
I believe Anna has been in more FE games than Tiki, as Tiki has been in Marth's games and Awakening. I might be wrong.
You're right.
But Tiki has more PLAYABLE roles.
Anna's only playable in Awakening and Fates (Anna's also the ultimate superboss for all the DLC content, hardest boss of FE history).
Tiki was in, and playable in FE 1/3, their remakes 11/12, and now Awakening. Actually, there's a NUMBER of "Marth-game" characters with the same amount of playable roles due to being in FE2, but Tiki's always been a fan favorite and one of the more promoted faces of the series.
Anna, in her many incarnations, has been in EVERY FE game besides FE2, because it lacked shops or anything of the sort.
Characters with "an uncanny resemblance to" Anna also play parts of Shop Keeps for SMT x FE and TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga (the first game of the series), which is what the main head for FE made after he left Intelligent Systems around the n64 era. It was, in a sense, a succesor to FE during the drought but also faced a lawsuit for similarities.

It's because of Intelligent Systems losing their head, some theorize, that we saw no Fire Emblem 64 and why FE6 had a LOT of similarities to FE1, because they were trying to play by the books under a new design head.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
TIki's also playable in SMTxFE right?

Do we want Little Tiki or Big TIki?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
TIki's also playable in SMTxFE right?

Do we want Little Tiki or Big TIki?
Tiki's PRESENT in SMT x FE.
She's not known to be a playable character. Which is a bit odd because she's been up-played as part of the plot but we're at the point where we have close to 10 confirmed characters.... at least I think the number's near that.

Little Tiki's far more iconic than her 2,000 year older self. At best I'd see a costume with her wearing her elder clothing, if she got in.

With alternate colors to represent Bantu, Fa, Myrrh, Kurthnaga, and Nowi. The 8th one would probably be a Marth-like color coordination.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wasn't talking about that.

IIRC there was a video of him doing Chrom's reaction to not being selected for Smash. He said something like "What? How could this be happening?!"

:231:
Oh, you meant his English VA? Matt Mercer's just a funny guy in general. :p

So, what characters do you guys think are gonna get Mii costumes this time around?

Burruni

Smash Hero

So, what characters do you guys think are gonna get Mii costumes this time around?
Tifa. Sepiroth. Barrett. Moogle. Cactuar. Slime. Chocobo.

Nintendo wise? I'd love to see an Anna costume.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Well since the Cloud trailer has Final Fantasy x Smash Bros. I think that may indicate some significant Final Fantasy content.
Looks like a lot of effort went into including the Final Fantasy content we've seen so far, the stage, Cloud even getting his Advent Children alt, with a textured sword, something we don't even see with Link's Dark Link outfit or D3's black & white alt.

So on top of Chocobo hat, I think we'll get...
  • Moogle Mii Hat
  • Cactuar Mii Brawler Costume
  • Black Mage Gunner Costume
Probably a few other characters as Mii costumes, but I think those three are my solid guesses.
I'm not too Final Fantasy savvy to know who would be likely as a Mii costume.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Tiki's PRESENT in SMT x FE.
She's not known to be a playable character. Which is a bit odd because she's been up-played as part of the plot but we're at the point where we have close to 10 confirmed characters.... at least I think the number's near that.

Little Tiki's far more iconic than her 2,000 year older self. At best I'd see a costume with her wearing her elder clothing, if she got in.

With alternate colors to represent Bantu, Fa, Myrrh, Kurthnaga, and Nowi. The 8th one would probably be a Marth-like color coordination.
Oh, I guess I got a "Playable" vibe from her trailer, but I guess she could be a summon or something

Jterr

Smash Apprentice
Hyrule ,Skyloft, Akaneia, Tellius, Ylisse, Magvel
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
4167-4991-9631
You're right.
But Tiki has more PLAYABLE roles.
Anna's only playable in Awakening and Fates (Anna's also the ultimate superboss for all the DLC content, hardest boss of FE history).
Tiki was in, and playable in FE 1/3, their remakes 11/12, and now Awakening. Actually, there's a NUMBER of "Marth-game" characters with the same amount of playable roles due to being in FE2, but Tiki's always been a fan favorite and one of the more promoted faces of the series.
Anna, in her many incarnations, has been in EVERY FE game besides FE2, because it lacked shops or anything of the sort.
Characters with "an uncanny resemblance to" Anna also play parts of Shop Keeps for SMT x FE and TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga (the first game of the series), which is what the main head for FE made after he left Intelligent Systems around the n64 era. It was, in a sense, a succesor to FE during the drought but also faced a lawsuit for similarities.

It's because of Intelligent Systems losing their head, some theorize, that we saw no Fire Emblem 64 and why FE6 had a LOT of similarities to FE1, because they were trying to play by the books under a new design head.
Yeah I know Anna is the hardest Boss so far, I've beaten Apotheosis 3 times lol

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Plot relevant, but most likely not playable.
Because I'm like 70% sure every other character who IS playable has had either their Performa shown, them in combat, or both.
Well seeing as Tiki is from the other world she wouldn't really need one, right?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well seeing as Tiki is from the other world she wouldn't really need one, right?
I mean.
This is Atlus.
Considering Teddie needed a Persona to fight in P4 despite living his entire life inside of the TV World, I wouldn't expect Tiki to be joining the front lines. An Oracle-like role seems most likely, given that she functioned as the Voice of Naga with Awakening.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
We have to think
Until now all 5 DLC characters will fit into one of two groups:
-Veterans from Melee and Brawl
-3rd Party Newcomers

Sakurai wants to give us something new, Cloud and Ryu are pretty known characters by almost all not gamer / casual community.

That's why I think Steve is a good option or maybe a Stage randomized kinda Mario Maker of Minecraft world, Minecraft is a very popular game, a lot of people know the game, seeing videos on YouTube, playing the game for fun, this game also have a mobile version and with the Wii U version announced it open the gate for Smash, this game will recibe at least a Mii Costume.

Castlevenia and Kingdom Hearts are popular games but not known or popular like Minecraft, Final Fantasy or Street Fighter, remember, Sakurai want to give us characters than everyone knows independently if we are hardcore gamers or not.

And Mewtwo Lucas and Roy are characters than every smash veterans wanted at least one of them.

Ice Climbers are fan favorites Retro characters but we don't know if Sakurai would make it happen but in game release he wanted.

Young Link, nobody want him back in his melee aparece, maybe a Majoras based moveset would be a good idea but I don't think.

Pichu Squirtle and Ivisaur, to much Pokémon XD really until now we have 6 Pokémon in the game maybe one of them with new moves (specially Pichu) but like I said we have a lot of Pokémon now and they are good for the entire saga.

Finally Wolf and Snake, those are the best options, everyone want one of them at least, In almost all smash forums polls they stay high in top 10, I almost pretty sure one of them will make it:)

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Pichu Squirtle and Ivisaur, to much Pokémon XD really until now we have 6 Pokémon in the game maybe one of them with new moves (specially Pichu) but like I said we have a lot of Pokémon now and they are good for the entire saga.
To be fair, Mario has seven reps, and Brawl had more Pokémon characters than Mario characters, so one more Pokémon isn't outside the realm of possibility.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We have to think
-3rd Party Newcomers

Sakurai wants to give us something new, Cloud and Ryu are pretty known characters by almost all not gamer / casual community.

That's why I think Steve is a good option or maybe a Stage randomized kinda Mario Maker of Minecraft world, Minecraft is a very popular game, a lot of people know the game, seeing videos on YouTube, playing the game for fun, this game also have a mobile version and with the Wii U version announced it open the gate for Smash, this game will recibe at least a Mii Costume.

Castlevenia and Kingdom Hearts are popular games but not known or popular like Minecraft, Final Fantasy or Street Fighter, remember, Sakurai want to give us characters than everyone knows independently if we are hardcore gamers or not.

And Mewtwo Lucas and Roy are characters than every smash veterans wanted at least one of them.

Ice Climbers are fan favorites Retro characters but we don't know if Sakurai would make it happen but in game release he wanted.

Young Link, nobody want him back in his melee aparece, maybe a Majoras based moveset would be a good idea but I don't think.

Finally Wolf and Snake, those are the best options, everyone want one of them at least, In almost all smash forums polls they stay high in top 10, I almost pretty sure one of them will make it:)
Really now...

...In the first Smash game, Pokémon took up 16.67% of the roster, in Melee and Brawl, it took up 15.38% of the roster. Now It takes up 10.91% of the roster, which is less than in any of the previous iterations of Smash. It is in no way invading the roster, so how about you judge the character by the character and not the series.

That said I don't think we will get another Pokémon until the next game since I don't think any of them would have any shock factor unless we got all of the veterans back (Which includes the Pokémon).

Last edited:

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
You didn't caught my point, Pokémon veterans are not the best option but I want all backXD (either Pichu) but for Pokémon I want to see a newcomer like Sceptile, Zygarde 10%, Weavile...

D

Deleted member

Well were approaching our final hour whatever happens I'm excited.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Really now...

...In the first Smash game, Pokémon took up 16.67% of the roster, in Melee and Brawl, it took up 15.38% of the roster. Now It takes up 10.91% of the roster, which is less than in any of the previous iterations of Smash. It is in no way invading the roster, so how about you judge the character by the character and not the series.

That said I don't think we will get another Pokémon until the next game since I don't think any of them would have any shock factor unless we got all of the veterans back (Which includes the Pokémon).
There are so many Pokemon, that a handful of them could actually add unique game play and mechanics to the roster.

As a quick example, a ghost pokemon, using ghost-like mechanics would be neat and interesting, it's yet to appear in smash. Tons of potential there alone.

I secretly support Hoopa, preferably Hoopa unbound, a multi-armed character presents the possibility of holding multiple items or being able to grab multiple opponents. Plus his portal technique opens the doors to a whole world of gimmicks and mechanics. I made a support thread once upon a time.

Edit
Old but gold
http://smashboards.com/threads/hoopa-unbound-for-smash-4-dlc.401822/

Last edited:
We have to think
-3rd Party Newcomers

Did you really just assume that Minecraft is more popular and known than Kingdom hearts and Castlevania?? Among children yes, but in general absolutely not.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
You didn't caught my point, Pokémon veterans are not the best option but I want all backXD (either Pichu) but for Pokémon I want to see a newcomer like Sceptile, Zygarde 10%, Weavile...
Oh. Whoops. Sorry I didn't understand your post at first. Yeah. I definitely agree. A Pokémon newcomer, my most wanted being Sceptile, would be awesome.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
**** Minecraft and the day it was announced for Wii U, shaking this troll suggestion bases speculation beyond redemption.

If Steve gets in, am gonna make Dark Pit one of my mains.

Dark Pit >>>> mostly everything whats being suggested around these parts ever since Cloud came.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I hope you're joking. Just because it's mainstream doesn't make it more known. That's kinda like saying minecraft is more well known than Sonic or Mega Man
Kinda, but certainly not.
Sonic and Megaman being series since the 8-bit eras who have been and remained massively popular and known.
Kingdom Hearts being a fairly popular series with 7 titles vs one of the best selling titles gaming has seen.
Castlevania certainly is more known due to its impact since the NES.
Certainly, in terms of impact to gaming, Minecraft has done better. Well-known, debatable.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Just because it's mainstream doesn't make it more known
Uh, you do understand what mainstream means though? According to The Free Directory Dot Com it means:
The prevailing current of thought, influence, or activity.

That interpretation means that it's a huge part of the osmosis that is current culture. It means it's known, as a huge part of culture! To dismiss that just because 'lol those games are popular but garbage baby games not like my Final Fantasies' is what we call elitist. Not to say that Minecraft is the game for me or you, but it's foolish to dismiss its reach.

Last edited:
Uh, you do understand what mainstream means though? According to The Free Directory Dot Com it means:
The prevailing current of thought, influence, or activity.

That interpretation means that it's a huge part of the osmosis that is current culture. It means it's known, as a huge part of culture! To dismiss that just because 'lol those games are popular but garbage baby games not like my Final Fantasies' is what we call elitist. Not to say that Minecraft is the game for me or you, but it's foolish to dismiss its reach.
Never dismissed it because it's trash nor did I dismiss it's reach. What I'm saying is that while the current generation (mainly children) recognize games like minecraft and fnaf more than games before their time, doesn't mean they are generally more known or popular.
Kinda, but certainly not.
Sonic and Megaman being series since the 8-bit eras who have been and remained massively popular and known.
Kingdom Hearts being a fairly popular series with 7 titles vs one of the best selling titles gaming has seen.
Castlevania certainly is more known due to its impact since the NES.
Certainly, in terms of impact to gaming, Minecraft has done better. Well-known, debatable.
If you can call digital lego a bigger impact than one of best platformers of it's time.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Never dismissed it because it's trash nor did I dismiss it's reach. What I'm saying is that while the current generation (mainly children) recognize games like minecraft and fnaf more than games before their time, doesn't mean they are generally more know or popular.

If you can call digital lego a bigger impact than one of best platformers of it's time.
I'm calling the biggest game to "survival" and "Creation" genres bigger for gaming history than Kingdom Hearts. An action jrpg.

Minecraft as one game that has continously grown over.. what, 7 years from its first public alpha/beta has been one that's hit the gaming world pretty damn hard. I'd argue more people would recognize a Creeper over Sora, at least in western audiences.

You see things like Terraria, Starbound, or Don't Starve and people can often be quick to describe it as "Like Minecraft, but..."
THAT is something that is a sign that it is a genre-defining and impactful title.

Kingdom Hearts have some damn good games but what impact can you really say it did? In terms of unexpected crossover titles Smash itself fits that bill and predated Kingdom Hearts by a good couple of years. The entire "vs Capcom" series has stood on this.

Nobody from either series is getting into Smash a-ny time soon, but Minecraft is a bigger title for gaming than Kingdom Hearts as a series and has reached a far wider market. To claim it as just a children's game is no different than claiming it for :4pikachu: or :4kirby:. Catered FOR a young audience? Yes. But their reach goes far further.

I'm calling the biggest game to "survival" and "Creation" genres bigger for gaming history than Kingdom Hearts. An action jrpg.

Minecraft as one game that has continously grown over.. what, 7 years from its first public alpha/beta has been one that's hit the gaming world pretty damn hard. I'd argue more people would recognize a Creeper over Sora, at least in western audiences.

You see things like Terraria, Starbound, or Don't Starve and people can often be quick to describe it as "Like Minecraft, but..."
THAT is something that is a sign that it is a genre-defining and impactful title.

Kingdom Hearts have some damn good games but what impact can you really say it did? In terms of unexpected crossover titles Smash itself fits that bill and predated Kingdom Hearts by a good couple of years. The entire "vs Capcom" series has stood on this.

Nobody from either series is getting into Smash a-ny time soon, but Minecraft is a bigger title for gaming than Kingdom Hearts as a series and has reached a far wider market. To claim it as just a children's game is no different than claiming it for :4pikachu: or :4kirby:. Catered FOR a young audience? Yes. But their reach goes far further.
Some last points to end this topic. I never said it was a kids game, just that children are the main demographic, intentionally or not, and I should mention that my regards to popularity were in regards to global popularity, not just the west. Frankly in Japan KH is a million times more popular than minecraft. Lastly I acknowledge minecrafts Achievements regardless of whether or not I like the game, but you can't deny the impact that Kingdom Hearts has had on gaming history. Yes there were already crossover games before but none of them crossed over with with freaking Disney characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom