• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Am I the only one who enjoys transparently soliciting support from people who share my opinion by posting the phrase "Am I the only one who..."?

(seriously, this was annoying as hell back when the game released...obviously like 95% of the fanbase was hardcore defending how amazing the roster was, and yet "Am I the only one who's okay with the roster?" posts littered Smashboards and Reddit anyway)

In terms of DLC, I'm hoping the "surprise" comes not in the form of being some random character we weren't voting for that much in the ballot, but in terms of quantity of characters. Like, Sakurai posts "we can't make that many characters" on Twitter, but then adds four, five, six or more of them anyway just to really go out with a bang, almost like he did with the main roster.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think there's any "prestigious" 3rd party that would come close to matching the hype for Cloud Strife.
The only exceptions and Banjo-Kazooie and Snake; the latter solely because of how far gone the IP holder is right now.

But I don't think they're trying to top Cloud with another 3rd party. I think they're going to add Inklings since they have widespread appeal and would bring arguably as much hype.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Am I the only one who enjoys transparently soliciting support from people who share my opinion by posting the phrase "Am I the only one who..."?

(seriously, this was annoying as hell back when the game released...obviously like 95% of the fanbase was hardcore defending how amazing the roster was, and yet "Am I the only one who's okay with the roster?" posts littered Smashboards and Reddit anyway)

In terms of DLC, I'm hoping the "surprise" comes not in the form of being some random character we weren't voting for that much in the ballot, but in terms of quantity of characters. Like, Sakurai posts "we can't make that many characters" on Twitter, but then adds four, five, six or more of them anyway just to really go out with a bang, almost like he did with the main roster.
Yeah I don't want another surprise character, I want characters I voted for like Wolf and Krool. If it were just surprise characters, and not popular characters, the ballot wouldn't exist. Seriously why do people get so whiny about popular characters? What's wrong? Is it because they aren't surprised? Shouldn't you be happy that a popular pick is finally getting into smash?
Popular character =/= underwhelming.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, regardless of whether or not the "big" Nintendo announcement is the Smash broadcast or not, I still think the announcement of the broadcast will happen today.

I predict something similar to what happened in June. They announced the June broadcast on the 8th (a Monday) and the broadcast happened on the following Sunday (the 14th). The December broadcast would follow suit by having it's announcement today on the 7th (a Monday) and then the broadcast itself on the 13th (a Sunday).

Makes sense in a way. One broadcast was right before Summer started while the other one happens right before Winter starts.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't want another surprise character, I want characters I voted for like Wolf and Krool. If it were just surprise characters, and not popular characters, the ballot wouldn't exist. Seriously why do people get so whiny about popular characters? What's wrong? Is it because they aren't surprised? Shouldn't you be happy that a popular pick is finally getting into smash?
Popular character =/= underwhelming.
I get where your coming from, but surprise characters are the best though. It's what Ryu should have been if he had not gotten leaked. Cloud had an amazing reaction and Sakurai was proud of that reaction that Cloud got. I know people want their most wanted characters and are down for still not getting them but you gotta appreciate what at least being put out there. Not everybody agrees with some of the top picks, even those characters get flack.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I get where your coming from, but surprise characters are the best though. It's what Ryu should have been if he had not gotten leaked. Cloud had an amazing reaction and Sakurai was proud of that reaction that Cloud got. I know people want their most wanted characters and are down for still not getting them but you gotta appreciate what at least being put out there. Not everybody agrees with some of the top picks, even those characters get flack.
I don't want anymore surprise 3rd party characters, honestly the only surprise characters I want are Waluigi, Dillon, Sami, Pious, and Sturm. I don't want anymore 3rd parties, 1 because I'm not too big on 3rd parties, and 2 because I'm not sure if they'll all be back in the next smash. If we keep getting 3rd parties, what's gonna happen next smash? Are they all going to come back, or will some get dropped, and what affect will it have on other newcomers?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't want anymore surprise 3rd party characters, honestly the only surprise characters I want are Waluigi, Dillon, Sami, Pious, and Sturm. I don't want anymore 3rd parties, 1 because I'm not too big on 3rd parties, and 2 because I'm not sure if they'll all be back in the next smash. If we keep getting 3rd parties, what's gonna happen next smash? Are they all going to come back, or will some get dropped, and what affect will it have on other newcomers?
Pious Augustus? Does Nintendo actually even own the Eternal Darkness characters?

D

Deleted member

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. We have to stop moving the goalposts with this relevancy argument.

Iconic does not mean any person on the street can recognize them.

Videos like the one @ManlySpirit linked do not represent what if means to be an iconic Nintendo character. The Mario Bros. are beyond gaming icons; they are pop culture icons. If you can't recognize Kirby and call Link "Zelda", you don't play Nintendo games. They recognize Mario because they have been part of pop culture, not because they are gaming icons.

There's no point in requiring people who have little investment to recognize a character in order for them to be iconic.

I can't believe we're demeaning video game icons through a ****ty slippery slope fallacy to justify Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros.
Slippery Slope:
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slopeis a logical device in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related eventsculminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.
However, if an argument uses valid reasoning, it would not identify by the slippery-slope approach.[2] The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I see no slippery slope fallacy in anything I've said. I haven't even suggested or resorted to that form of thinking in any form in this argument.

Be more careful, and don't use terms you don't understand.

Anyway, my point is simple, and before we continue, I simply want you to define one word for me, since that os the crux of this whole conundrum.

What is "relevance?"

Give me an objective, context sensitive for this word, definition for this word.

bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand;
Under this definition, all videogame characters that fit Sakurai's criteria are "relevant."

Because the problem lies in people misusing the term, and applying it subjectively to mean anything from "recent" to "I'm not fully aware of this character, and I don't like them, thus they aren't "relevant".

You said the people in the video aren't an accurate representation of gamers, yet you had a couple people who clearly stated thry played video games, yet failed to recognize the villager, among other characters.

Sure, they're casual gamers, but they are gamers nonetheless.

In addition, I can assure you that most non-Nintendo fans would be unable to recognize Marth, Ike, Shulk, etc... yet to you, they're still "relevant."

Alright, then perhaps we should narrow our scope to just Nintendo fans, but as I showed you, a large part of Nintendo's audience was unable to name the characters. And in fact, there are many Nintendo fans, who buy Smash, who don't know a large part of the cast. And that's not even accounting for generational differences, which I'll get to in a moment.

So then, should we narrow our scope to only include hard core Nintendo and Smash fans? Why? And why should tge subjective opinion of a vocal fanbase be the only one to be heard, especially when that opinion is not very representative of the broader Nintendo fanbase, let alone most gamers, both audiences that Nintendo would sure be glad to draw in if possible (hence Cloud getting in, and a lot of -younger- Smash fans getting upset that he got in over "muh Waddle Dee"). What's "relevant" the small core, isn't true in the slightest for the larger outer layers.

Likewise, the Smash fanbase itself is divided on what's "relevant" due to generational differences. For the younger kids characters like Rayman and Master Chief are more "relevant" than Banjo, Mega Man, and such simply cause they grew up with the former, and never experienced the peak of Banjo, or Mega Man, etc... and then backwards rationalize their assumptions through groupthink (aka, they bandwagon in order to fit in) once certain characters get in, and those them become "great gaming icons " [see reactions to: Mega Man, Ryu, Pac-Nan, etc..]. But the fact of the matter is, Banjo isn't "relevant" to some, in the same way Mega Man isn't, as they are merely experienced after their decline in popularity, but for all the people who were alive then, we can confirm that Banjo was AS BIG a gaming icon as Mega Man, and Rare as reputable in the industry as Capcom. These were the giants back then, and because if this, they are "relevant" to us.

So, can you see now why "relevance" is such a weak argument due to it's purely subjective nature? It means absolutely nothing. Unless you can provide me with a concrete and objective definition, it's simply not a proactive form to debate anything, and only winds up in circular arguments.

tl;dr - there is no slipperly slope in my reasoning, check your terms more carefully, and "relevance" is a weak argument due to it's purely subjective mature thanks to the constant misuse of the term. Using that to back up your POV is completely unmeritable and pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
User was warned for this post
Be more careful, and don't use terms you don't understand.

Anyway, my point is simple, and before we continue, I simply want you to define one word for me, since that os the crux of this whole conundrum.

No, my point is simple, but before we begin I'd simply like you to simply define one simple word for me.

What is 'os'?
D:

Sorry I didn't read your post, it was too long and is packaged in a tone that's not very enjoyable to continue scanning, with the air of a try hard forum argue-boy.

D

Deleted member

No, my point is simple, but before we begin I'd simply like you to simply define one simple word for me.

What is 'os'?
D:

Sorry I didn't read your post, it was too long and is packaged in a tone that's not very enjoyable to continue scanning, with the air of a try hard forum argue-boy.
Any particular reason you felt it was necessary to respond to a post you didn't even bother to read?

Like, could there be a more pointless and redundant action? If you don't wanna read it, then don't read it. But what's the point of going out of your way to specifically state you didn't read it? Especially when I put a tl;dr at the bottom for lazy people just like you.

Anyway, I'm the tryhard, but you're tge one nitpicking typos...

Quit trying to act "cool" in front of your internet buddies. There's nothing "cool" about posting in a videogame forum.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If you guys are going to have a "cool kid" argument, take it to PMs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any particular reason you felt it was necessary to respond to a post you didn't even bother to read?

Like, could there be a more pointless and redundant action? If you don't wanna read it, then don't read it. But what's the point of going out of your way to specifically state you didn't read it? Especially when I put a tl;dr at the bottom for lazy people just like you.

Anyway, I'm the tryhard, but you're tge one nitpicking typos...

Quit trying to act "cool" in front of your internet buddies. There's nothing "cool" about posting in a videogame forum.
I missed you around these parts.

Also, am agreeing with the guy who said that having popular characters as the final batch of DLC is a good idea.

I mean, what point is there in adding 'shocking surprises' all the time? What point is there in having a ballot if popular picks are gonna be ignored?

Sakurai: 'Oh it's Wolf, Snake, King K.Rool, Inklings and Isaac who are popular? Great!? Now who should I add instead? [laughs]'

It doesn't make any sense to me.

The very least am expecting is Wolf, and Dixie Kong. Yes, Dixie because am not even sure we're getting K.Rool any time soon. Maybe Snake to. Maybe even Ice Climbers if they can be fixed.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
What point is there in having a ballot if popular picks are gonna be ignored?

Sakurai: 'Oh it's Wolf, Snake, King K.Rool, Inklings and Isaac who are popular? Great!? Now who should I add instead? [laughs]'

Yeah, it's counter-productive to think that Sakurai is actively looking to play about at every turn.

D

Deleted member

I missed you around these parts.

Also, am agreeing with the guy who said that having popular characters as the final batch of DLC is a good idea.

I mean, what point is there in adding 'shocking surprises' all the time? What point is there in having a ballot if popular picks are gonna be ignored?

The very least am expecting is Wolf, and Dixie Kong. Yes, Dixie because am not even sure we're getting K.Rool any time soon. Maybe Snake to. Maybe even Ice Climbers if they can be fixed.
Oh, absolutely.

I agree that it'll be one of the top 10 ballot characters for sure.

I can't remember the source, but I posted poll results here before.

Top 10 were more or less:
K.Rool, Isaac, Banjo, Wolf, Snake, Inklings, Bandana Dee, and then three others but I forget who, since it really peters off after that. I think it was Bayonetta, Paper Mario, and IC, but I can't remember.

Anyway, IC we can scratch off due to hardware limitations on the 3DS.

Snake too, I'd say thanks to Konami pretty much commiting business suicide (though I'd love to see him come back).

Bayonetta quite simply doesn't suit the E rating for the game.

So then, that leaves us the rest.

I think Wolf is pretty much a given, very popular, veteran, Star Fox Zero, no reason not to.

As for the rest, here's something crazy, and why I believe it'll be Banjo.

All the other first parties, actually have a lower chance than another 3rd party. For one, they are less hype worthy, and in contrast to Cloud, kinda underwhelming. Only a 3rd party character like Banjo can generate enough hype to match Cloud and Ryu. All other 3rd party aren't nearly as popular in polls, and honestly, not as iconic either.

2nd, there are less and less characters to go around for future games. And faces like Paper Mario, K.Rool, and Inkling will be necesary to build up future games. Getting 1st party IP is easier than guest characters, and you need some faces to build that up. What happens if you blow your load prematurely on DLC? Not to mention the Inklings would be much better when they can be properly implemented with an engine that can allow their mechanics to pain the stage rather than just be a generic gunner.

The reason why 3rd party works better for DLC is cause unlike 1st party, it's gotta sell itself, and because in future games, their return is uncertain. I guarantee you that by Smash 5, we won't be seeing Ryu and Cloud again. It could happen, but it's not set in stone. And there are plenty of 3rd party faces to go around.

All that aside, all the chips are set into place for Banjo being a DLC character, and him winding up so high in the polls bodes very well for his chances. He's literally a perfect pick.

Some final thoughts, the news with PM getting shut down could also mean well for Isaac. I mean, it's a stretch, but I'm not discounting it, especially since like Banjo and K.Rool, he was in the top 3 by far in western polls.

My prediction for DLC:
Cloud (ofc)
Wolf
Isaac
Banjo

Now, I could be wrong, and ofc, I'm not taking Japanese votes into account. For all we know, we could wind up getting Hatsune Miku or some ****, but well, we'll find out this month.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Guys, Isaac is a curveball character. Most people have written his chances off due to the whole "dead franchise", "doesn't appeal to casuals" and "Cloud makes Isaac much less likely" thing.
:4diddy: hadn't really shown up in any games prior to brawl since DK64
No, it's more like he hasn't had a major appearance in a game that actually matters to his resume before Brawl (spin-offs don't mean anything for a character being in Smash, otherwise we would have had Waluigi by now). But nonetheless, Diddy was still a highly requested character for Smash and an important DK character so he made sense to include.

Jiggle Puff :4kirby:
I like the fact that people still recognize Jigglypuff to the point some confuse Kirby for her.

D

Deleted member

No, it's more like he hasn't had a major appearance in a game that actually matters to his resume before Brawl (spin-offs don't mean anything for a character being in Smash, otherwise we would have had Waluigi by now). But nonetheless, Diddy was still a highly requested character for Smash and an important DK character so he made
That's exactly what I meant. He had some sleeper releases, but it wasn't anything notable. Quite a step down from his standing during SNES and N64 games.

But that was the point I was making. "Relevant" is purely subjective.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah, Nintendo completely owns Eternal Darkness. There's a reason why a spiritual successor was ATTEMPTED on Kickstarter instead of a straight up sequel.

I honestly would adore more representation from Nintendo's most successful M rated game. Although Disaster Day of Crisis would probably get representation before a western game.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
When a guy who works with Indies talks about "Big News"; he's not talking about Smash.

But I guess this does help Banjo since Minecraft is a first party Microsoft title now. And MS is allowing it to go on everything still.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think I was the only guy here that expected it and wanted it to happen. Just to get people to stop getting their hopes up.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So finally Minecraft is on WiiU, eh?

That's what many were expecting, because the one who said it never tweets Smash news.

Where's the Steve for Smash thread?

:231:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think this helps Banjo. Seeing as Microsoft owns Minecraft, it shows that Nintendo is willing to allow MS stuff on their system.

D

Deleted member

This is the big news, I think
With this I wonder how much longer will people continue to deny the Nintendo x Microsoft partnership being a thing.

"But it's owned by Microsoft" "MS and Ninty are competitors and would never collaborate" should be totally dead in the water by now.

Also, you guys remember that Microsoft logo for SMM leak a couple months back?

Expect Minecraft amiibos soon too, because those will literally print money.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
When a guy who works with Indies talks about "Big News"; he's not talking about Smash.

But I guess this does help Banjo since Minecraft is a first party Microsoft title now. And MS is allowing it to go on everything still.
Yeah; also, I think if they were going to tell us about when the Smash Direct would happen, they'd just come out and say it. We know it's happening.

Oh lawd, I can't get my hopes up for Banjo. I just couldn't take it! But if he's actually doing that well and if Phil a Spencer actually came through, it'd be the literal greatest thing to ever happen.

But I'm just going pretend like I never said any of this and stick my fingers in my ears because dreams can't come true. (Although...that's what some/most Cloud supporters probably thought, too. )

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Imagine if we get a character reveal of Steve to coincide with the release of Minecraft on the Wii U. I'd main him just so I could savor the salt.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Banjo / Steve almost have an equal amount of chance now, I'd say.. How big that chance is, eh, you know, hmm, eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom