• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think these are the only characters on the roster who started out with an animé-inspired look. Yes, I only included humans because that is who the point is usually directed at.

:4myfriends::rosalina::4sheik::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4darkpit::4feroy::4cloud:

Artstyle shift or artist change has led to many others looking animesque, though.

:231:
:4mewtwo: is part human

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You may have bought Fire Emblem because it reminded you of anime, but it had a good balance of eastern and western influences. The characters still looked like they could have come from Medieval Europe. In Awakening, they went full anime, really no looking past that, compare the character portraits from Blazing Sword to Awakening
I guess you wouldn't see Tharja or Olivia's outfits in Medieval Europe (lol), but I don't know what else do you mean by going full anime. w/e.

Though if you mean the faces, I'll have to disagree.

:4mewtwo: is part human
Absolutely no one is complaining about him though.

:231:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even Link, Zelda and Zero Suit Samus look anime-like.

And hell, anime and manga do offer plenty of varied art styles within their plethora of series. Some people here really should read some manga and watch some anime, preferably of different genres and from different authors, to better understand what they're talking about.

And remind that Smash Bros. is a Japanese game. The influences from anime and other aspects of Japanese culture are inevitable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Good lord, who cares? Is it really that big of a detraction from a character if they have the facial structure of an American electric socket (huge eyes, tiny mouth)? I feel like the characters stand on their own thanks to their personalities and their physical appearances are pretty superficial. Sometimes it's just a matter of inspiration, like how Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina and Megaman's character designs are very similar to Osamu Tezuka's characters or how Ness and Lucas are very similar to Charles Schulz's characters. Miyamoto and Inafune have made it no small secret that they were heavily inspired by Astroboy growing up while Itoi has made it known that he was in fact a big fan of Peanuts. People might argue that he anime-esque look is uninspired but, whatever, it's just a reflection of culture and the things that inspired the artists that created them. Going into fanboy domain, I will defend the crap out of Ike's inclusion given he's got a fantastic backstory for a Nintendo character despite his character design faceplanting into a ton of animu archetypes and there are plenty of people here who would gladly do the same for Pit, Lucina, Shulk, etc despite their somewhat cliche appearances.

D

Deleted member

Damon Baker doesn't talk about smash, 0 reaction to Ryu or Cloud. His Twitter revolves around indie content, doubt he's leaking smash news... only if Smash is getting indie content.
This is the most likely outcome, unless it's the blue knight or the half-genie hero being announced for Smash! It's probably just Minecraft or some indie title.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
And lets not forget the OTHER Anime character

D

Deleted member

I think the Minecraft creator said he'd like him in. So who knows he may arrive in Smash.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I guess you wouldn't see Tharja or Olivia's outfits in Medieval Europe (lol), but I don't know what else do you mean by going full anime. w/e.

Though if you mean the faces, I'll have to disagree.
Faces as well, but agree to disagree. Their faces look far too anime and they all look the same to me, much like most anime

Even Link, Zelda and Zero Suit Samus look anime-like.

And hell, anime and manga do offer plenty of varied art styles within their plethora of series. Some people here really should read some manga and watch some anime, preferably of different genres and from different authors, to better understand what they're talking about.

And remind that Smash Bros. is a Japanese game. The influences from anime and other aspects of Japanese culture are inevitable.
Nintendo is not only a Japanese company, but more importantly a global company. Nintendo makes games that have global appeal. A lot of users here are underage and were not around for the release of Wind Waker. While it was a good game, a lot of people like to remember a revisionist history where Wind Waker was loved by Zelda fans. In reality, Wind Waker was hated and effectively put a stop to Zelda hype for years. Zelda was unstoppable after Ocarina, but somehow Nintendo managed to upset every classic Zelda fan. That's why the hype for Twilight Princess was astronomical and the very reason Nintendo did a 180 with the graphical style

That's why classic Nintendo was always a nice fusion of eastern and western influences, but there are times it leans too eastern and it doesn't go over well in the west

Good lord, who cares? Is it really that big of a detraction from a character if they have the facial structure of an American electric socket (huge eyes, tiny mouth)? I feel like the characters stand on their own thanks to their personalities and their physical appearances are pretty superficial. Sometimes it's just a matter of inspiration, like how Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina and Megaman's character designs are very similar to Osamu Tezuka's characters or how Ness and Lucas are very similar to Charles Schulz's characters. Miyamoto and Inafune have made it no small secret that they were heavily inspired by Astroboy growing up while Itoi has made it known that he was in fact a big fan of Peanuts. People might argue that he anime-esque look is uninspired but, whatever, it's just a reflection of culture and the things that inspired the artists that created them. Going into fanboy domain, I will defend the crap out of Ike's inclusion given he's got a fantastic backstory for a Nintendo character despite his character design faceplanting into a ton of animu archetypes and there are plenty of people here who would gladly do the same for Pit, Lucina, Shulk, etc despite their somewhat cliche appearances.
This is a further extension of what I'm talking about and I totally agree. There is this balance of inspiration in many classic designs, which is why classic Zelda had such a global appeal. Going back in time, before the Internet was popular, most people didn't know Nintendo was a Japanese company because all of their games looked like they could have been made by an American developer. You could argue all you want about the popularity of niche series but the fact is that Nintendos more global franchises that appeal to a more global consumer are the best selling, obviously

And lets not forget the OTHER Anime character
I hope you are joking, I really do

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I think people are going to set themselves up for dissapointment when it comes to the Broadcast when they haven't even considered this possibility:
The Ballot only had a very, and I mean VERY, minor influence on Sakurai's choices.
I mean, the last public mention of the Ballot was also when it was announced 8 months ago. Heck, it was evident Nintendo forgot about the Ballot considering they didn't even take it down on October 3rd. What makes you guys think it'll even be mentioned?
We can complain all we want about the Ballot being rigged, but it won't matter in the slightest considering we're still going to buy the characters Sakurai makes.
So guys. Just prepare yourselves for the absolute worst.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I think people are going to set themselves up for dissapointment when it comes to the Broadcast when they haven't even considered this possibility:
The Ballot only had a very, and I mean VERY, minor influence on Sakurai's choices.
Sure, this is a possibility..
I mean, the last public mention of the Ballot was also when it was announced 8 months ago. Heck, it was evident Nintendo forgot about the Ballot considering they didn't even take it down on October 3rd. What makes you guys think it'll even be mentioned?
..but let's not then say that Sakurai is most definitely in charge of the Smash website. Hey, here's a possibility, they probably started working on the characters in the lead before the ballot had hit the due date! Or maybe not! Who knows?!

I mean, this is talked about as the last Smash broadcast for this game, right? Unless that was just implied by fans and fan press.
I'd be very surprised if ballot results, or atleast the plan for presenting the ballot DLC down the line aren't talked about. I mean, this is the time. It's a 'special' broadcast, after all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We can complain all we want about the Ballot being rigged, but it won't matter in the slightest considering we're still going to buy the characters Sakurai makes.
So guys. Just prepare yourselves for the absolute worst.
I agree that people should set their expectations low.

Though in my case, I pretty much hope for the best, but expect the absolute worst from Nintendo with how bad they've been lately.

I disagree about the Ballot's influence, Sakurai himself has literally stated it'd be nothing but fanservice from here on. So if anything, I'd say you're totally wrong on that account.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I think the Minecraft creator said he'd like him in. So who knows he may arrive in Smash.
Notch sold off Mojang to Microsoft last I heard though, so whatever he thinks means jack. Honestly (as much as I'm against it) Minecraft would be a really good rep for indie games if it had more affiliation with Nintendo. Another thing in the way of Steve is the fanbases between the two games being wildly different in demographic, resulting in low demand for DLC.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Another thing in the way of Steve is the fanbases between the two games being wildly different in demographic, resulting in low demand for DLC.
Yeah, Steve deffo wouldn't appear as a ballot pick (I mean, I presume?!).. but I could see it being something worked out between the companies, the same way Cloud / Ryu was developed. But you're right, if Minecraft WiiU doesn't happen I don't see it happening at all.

But if it does happen, I dunno, it might loosen tension between Nintendo / Smash devs and Microsoft in the context of Smash.. since Microsoft owns Minecraft. It could lead to a better chance of seeing Banjo Kazooie happen, if that happens to be a top ballot pick.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I agree that people should set their expectations low.

Though in my case, I pretty much hope for the best, but expect the absolute worst from Nintendo with how bad they've been lately.

I disagree about the Ballot's influence, Sakurai himself has literally stated it'd be nothing but fanservice from here on. So if anything, I'd say you're totally wrong on that account.
Sure, the characters may be fanservice, but that doesn't necessarily equate to them being highly voted, case in point being Ryu and Cloud, who were not popular among the Smash fanbase, but were gaming icons.

D

Deleted member

Sure, the characters may be fanservice, but that doesn't necessarily equate to them being highly voted, case in point being Ryu and Cloud, who were not popular among the Smash fanbase, but were gaming icons.
Well, it's pretty much common sense that characters with more votes have better odds. Yeah, it's not an election, but if you're wanting to please fans, you'll probably go for one of the top 10.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As a guy who likes both American and Japanese Cartoon styles, I have no problems with any anime-like character in SSB4.

Carry on.

Screw Shovel Knight or Shantae. We need an Indie that takes "nintendo inspired metroidvania" to the next level.

We need . . .

Don't believe the nintendo love? this is what you unlock new powerups with
and the references dont stop there
I could keep posing but it would lag the page with how man references there are.

The game is pretty much Metroid with sidequests and lucha libre instead of lasers.

Moveset?
A whole bunch of grapples and a focus on combos. His specials write themselves.

and not shown being a powerful headbutt for launching. Pretty much all of his other specials are more for combos. He can even act out of Up b to continue his combo.

Alternatively make his neutral b a grab that can also be used in the air and have his special grabs as abilities.

Maybe even use the stamina meter. Easy unique movset. Awesome character

I may or may not be playing Guacamelee >_>

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The earliest versions of the Vocaloid program.
That's about as much of a game as Windows Media Player or the Microsoft Help paperclip.
At least the electronic toys are video games in all but name. Game & Watch was blatantly a video game series(and Digimon started the same way, as did Tamagotchi, which Digimon was based loosely upon).

That said, she doesn't sound like a horrible choice bar not being being a video game character, though.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
lol gettin into anime arguments.

Pretty sure Cloud's a ballot choice based off the translation of Sakurai's tweet about Cloud and "fulfilling a difficult request"
timing's suspicious but i could see it. also that lolkills any any all other ballot choices then. yo that wolf + pichu lookin' strong now.

Cloud and Ike are far more similar to each other than Isaac is to Cloud.

Cloud and Ike share these superficial similarities:
  • Similar Fair
  • Similar Nair
  • Similar Bair
  • Similar Dair
  • Similar Back-throw
  • A rise-then-descend Up Special
  • Superficially similar Final Smash
  • Similar Lying down animation
  • Similar Dizzy animation
  • Both are mercenary characters
  • Both have spiky hair
  • Both have a single shoulder pad
  • Both wield a giant sword
Heck, even from a conceptual point of view, Isaac isn't the same as Cloud, consideirng Isaac is a mage knight who is best known for using earth, plant and hand-based magic plus his Djinn summoning system that is a signature aspect of the Golden Sun series. Even Sakurai recognized the fact he is no average sword-user considering that in Isaac's AT description on the Smash Dojo had Sakurai de-emphasize the fact he is a sword-wielder
aint what they share, but what they rep. and cloud reps not just RPGs but arguably the single-most influential rpg to date. there's just no demand for isaac, and cloud beat him to the punch as far as merits on getting in. as much as i scream from the rooftops daily "**** ROY", that ***** still got in despite starting as a copy-paste of an already bland-as-**** anime swordman and just got a few new animations afterward.

Notice that the fact he is a sword-wielder is something Sakurai only mentioned in a throw-away line here.
that's prolly cause he's an AT with canned animations, not because 'oh look how unique our anime swordboy is'. guarantee that sword'd come out swinging if he were PC.

Nintendo wholly own Isaac. Isaac is a first-party character.
then they sleepin hard on that *****. camelot just doesn't care.

stickin' to the ballot was just a suggestion box, and cloud's the last 'big' newcomer. wolf + pichu just naturally follow. there's no one else for the slots.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Banjo tomorrow?

I think some people are underestimating their chances tbh...I bring them up as possibilities and people go 'lol no microsoft' and move on...completely forgetting that Phil Spencer himself stated he has no problem with it...'both parties have to want it' we already know that one party does...after Cloud's reveal (a character heavily associated with Sony) it shows what Sakurai's willing to do...Sakurai in the past has shown interest in adding them to the lineup (and Duck Hunt's obvious influence from BK) has me thinking that at the very least he will attempt some sort of negotiations to add them as DLC...

D

Deleted member

I think some people are underestimating their chances tbh...I bring them up as possibilities and people go 'lol no microsoft' and move on...completely forgetting that Phil Spencer himself stated he has no problem with it...'both parties have to want it' we already know that one party does...after Cloud's reveal (a character heavily associated with Sony) it shows what Sakurai's willing to do...Sakurai in the past has shown interest in adding them to the lineup (and Duck Hunt's obvious influence from BK) has me thinking that at the very least he will attempt some sort of negotiations to add them as DLC...
I'm convinced that they'll be the final DLC, it's just too perfect, and too much makes sense. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and oh well.

But I wasn't wrong about Sonic and Mega Man.

I'm 99% certain we'll be seeing them as Ballot characters, I'm leaving that 1% open for error on the chance negotiations fall through. But I feel confident about what the ballot will show. The fact that they were top three in the ballot pretty much seals the deal imo.

Screencap this.

Oh yeah, I don't think Smash direct will be tomorrow btw, but it is dropping this month ofc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
At least the electronic toys are video games in all but name. Game & Watch was blatantly a video game series(and Digimon started the same way, as did Tamagotchi, which Digimon was based loosely upon).

That said, she doesn't sound like a horrible choice bar not being being a video game character, though.
One error there.
"Which Digimon was loosely based on."
False.
Digimon was a sub-line of Tamagachi made SPECIFICALLY to market to boys.
But, yes, Electronic Toys in that sense are the first handhelds.
Miku, still, feels like another category. The face of a program that was just conversion of sound files.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel Banjo and Kazooie might have a chance. But i'm keeping my expectations low since the entire "rival company thing" is still a huge issue.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel Banjo and Kazooie might have a chance. But i'm keeping my expectations low since the entire "rival company thing" is still a huge issue.
And the "gaming history icon' thing.

:4ryu::4cloud: Stand as faces for massive multi-million franchises that defined their genres and are plenty relevant to their day. Even Cloud, with one proper game under his belt, kept more relevant than Banjo-Kazooie have post-n64 by Kingdom Hearts, Tactics, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, the FF Mobile Games, and of course what likely stands as the most highly requested video game remke of all time.

D

Deleted member

And the "gaming history icon' thing.

:4ryu::4cloud: Stand as faces for massive multi-million franchises that defined their genres and are plenty relevant to their day. Even Cloud, with one proper game under his belt, kept more relevant than Banjo-Kazooie have post-n64 by Kingdom Hearts, Tactics, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, the FF Mobile Games, and of course what likely stands as the most highly requested video game remke of all time.
What does relevance even matter in a game like Smash?

A large number of characters on that roster are not relevant, or at least weren't before being added.

:4diddy: hadn't really shown up in any games prior to brawl since DK64
:4megaman: is still pretty much a dead franchise
:4sheik: literally appeared in ONE Zelda game, and is now a Smash staple
:4pit: dead franchise before Brawl. Like, REALLY dead
:4ness: unlike Falcon, Ness was even more obscure during this era due to EB being super niche and from a previous gen.
:4lucas: only got in due to fan demand
:4feroy:has only appeared in one game, least liked lord in the FE community. Like THE most irrelevant lord in FE, yet was still made DLC due to fan demand.

Seriously, the relevance argument is totally moot in Smash, if such weren't the case, the cast would be only Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and AC. People only bring up relevance as some arbitrary way to back up a weak argument.

Plus, maybe you weren't alive during the N64, but before shooters and "open world" swept the scene, 3D platformers and collectathons were the hottest thing in gaming.

Guess which company was known for making the best, and making the best mascots for their games? Guess who was the face of collectathons and the N64?

I would say that certainly counts as making an impact, and being a gaming icon.

Kinda hypocritical to back up Mega Man, yet neglect the leaps made after.

EDIT:

Next time you people decide to use "relevance" as an argument, remember this video:

Over 90% of the cast, is NOT relevant. Having a game recently doesn't make a character relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

predator_21476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
predator_21476

A large number of characters on that roster are not relevant, or at least weren't before being added.

:4ness: unlike Falcon, Ness was even more obscure during this era due to EB being super niche and from a previous gen.
:4feroy:has only appeared in one game, least liked lord in the FE community. Like THE most irrelevant lord in FE, yet was still made DLC due to fan demand.

Seriously, the relevance argument is totally moot in Smash, if such weren't the case, the cast would be only Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and AC. People only bring up relevance as some arbitrary way to back up a weak argument.

Plus, maybe you weren't alive during the N64, but before shooters and "open world" swept the scene, 3D platformers and collectathons were the hottest thing in gaming.

Guess which company was known for making the best, and making the best mascots for their games? Guess who was the face of collectathons and the N64?

EDIT:

Next time you people decide to use "relevance" as an argument, remember this video:

Over 90% of the cast, is NOT relevant. Having a game recently doesn't make a character relevant.
Mega man is a gaming legend that most gamers will recognize. Banjo doesn't have that anymore because he is not the face of a genre like the other third parties. Also being owned by Microsoft makes his chances almost non existent. I understand why people want him in but he's not super iconic anymore which is the important thing for this parties.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

EDIT:

Uh first off 90% of the cast are first parties. They have different rules and criterion for being included; relevancy doesn't apply to them. They aren't guests.

Second, are you comparing a AAA's companies strongest IP to a character who's not only younger but had only two well-known games made fifteen years ago and is under a much smaller company (or is less influential to their AAA company, if you consider them part of Microsoft)? Mega Man is ****ing huge. His games lasted four video game generations and got over 2 dozen sequels. Just because the company isn't making games for him anymore, doesn't mean he's irrelevant.

Relevancy shows that the developers or at the least the fanbase legitimately finds a character important enough to remember. A character is relevant not strictly by their recurring representation in a series, but rather by being consistently important to gamers over time. First party examples of this include King K Rool and arguably Captain Falcon.

Banjo-Kazooie is not really appreciated by many in recent days. He was important to a genre (collect-a-thons), but I don't feel the genre stood the test of time. Some games and genres simply don't do well, whether through poor advertising, poor premise, or company issues like Rare.

If you believe Banjo is an icon, what games do you feel were influenced by Banjo-Kazooie and how successful do you think they are? How popular and relevant is the collect-a-thon genre? It's a really great genre, but that doesn't mean it is iconic.

Gimmick

Smash Ace

EDIT:

Here's the problem...

A majority of your comparisons are to the base roster. That's what allows Sakurai to put these "irrelevant" characters in. I seriously doubt people would spend money if Mr. Game & Watch was DLC.

Also, Mega Man is still pretty much the face of Capcom and appears in plenty of other Capcom games as a cameo (the same can't really be said for Banjo).

Roy and Lucas are veterans. A majority of their fans come from their appearances in the smash games (heck, you could argue that they're smash characters more than anything). As a result they gained a following and were heavily requested to return.

Just saying.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Diddy hasn't been in any games since DK64?
Where the hell have you been?

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Uh first off 90% of the cast are first parties. They have different rules and criterion for being included; relevancy doesn't apply to them. They aren't guests.

Second, are you comparing a AAA's companies strongest IP to a character who's not only younger but had only two well-known games made fifteen years ago and is under a much smaller company (or is less influential to their AAA company, if you consider them part of Microsoft)? Mega Man is ****ing huge. His games lasted four video game generations and got over 2 dozen sequels. Just because the company isn't making games for him anymore, doesn't mean he's irrelevant.

Relevancy shows that the developers or at the least the fanbase legitimately finds a character important enough to remember. A character is relevant not strictly by their recurring representation in a series, but rather by being consistently important to gamers over time. First party examples of this include King K Rool and arguably Captain Falcon.

Banjo-Kazooie is not really appreciated by many in recent days. He was important to a genre (collect-a-thons), but I don't feel the genre stood the test of time. Some games and genres simply don't do well, whether through poor advertising, poor premise, or company issues like Rare.

If you believe Banjo is an icon, what games do you feel were influenced by Banjo-Kazooie and how successful do you think they are? How popular and relevant is the collect-a-thon genre? It's a really great genre, but that doesn't mean it is iconic.
Yeah I agree Mini Baby Blue Cop Guy is loved by all. :4megaman: I also love...

Jimmy Neutron :4lucas:
Evil Pikachu :4mewtwo:
Goku:4cloud:
Zelda :4link:
Zelda's girlfriend :4zelda:
Tomb Raider :4zss:
Jiggle Puff :4kirby:
Goku :4shulk:
Monkey Ball:4diddy:
Goku :4ryu:

Status
Not open for further replies.