• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What does relevance even matter in a game like Smash?

A large number of characters on that roster are not relevant, or at least weren't before being added.
:4diddy: hadn't really shown up in any games prior to brawl since DK64
Jungle Climber, King of Swing, Diddy Kong Racing for DS.
:4megaman: is still pretty much a dead franchise
Legendary gaming icon.
:4sheik: literally appeared in ONE Zelda game, and is now a Smash staple
I'll give you this one.
:4pit: dead franchise before Brawl. Like, REALLY dead
And this one too.
:4ness: unlike Falcon, Ness was even more obscure during this era due to EB being super niche and from a previous gen.
Earthbound still only came out a couple years before Super Smash Bros.
And there were a lot less viable characters for Smash back then.
:4lucas: only got in due to fan demand
He was planned for Melee where he was incredibly fresh.
When he was added to Brawl his game had only come out a couple years ago.
:4feroy:has only appeared in one game, least liked lord in the FE community. Like THE most irrelevant lord in FE, yet was still made DLC due to fan demand.
He is relevant because he appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee, where he was so relevant his game wasn't even out yet.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Yeah I agree Mini Baby Blue Cop Guy is loved by all. :4megaman: I also love...

Jimmy Neutron :4lucas:
Evil Pikachu :4mewtwo:
Goku:4cloud:
Zelda :4link:
Zelda's girlfriend :4zelda:
Tomb Raider :4zss:
Jiggle Puff :4kirby:
Goku :4shulk:
Monkey Ball:4diddy:
Goku :4ryu:
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. We have to stop moving the goalposts with this relevancy argument.

Iconic does not mean any person on the street can recognize them.

Videos like the one @ManlySpirit linked do not represent what if means to be an iconic Nintendo character. The Mario Bros. are beyond gaming icons; they are pop culture icons. If you can't recognize Kirby and call Link "Zelda", you don't play Nintendo games. They recognize Mario because they have been part of pop culture, not because they are gaming icons.

There's no point in requiring people who have little investment to recognize a character in order for them to be iconic.

I can't believe we're demeaning video game icons through a ****ty slippery slope fallacy to justify Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
uhh

Roy is far from the least liked/most irrelevant lord in the FE community.
Roy isn't the most irrelevant lord (that place is for Alm and Celica)

The least likeable is something that I can't really assure... Alm and Celica are the one with least fans, but in other hand are characters with mixed opinions about them.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What are you trying to say?
They are chosen because "muh retro". There's more thought put into it than that.
Nah.
I was meaning that both Melee and Brawl had retro picks.
Mr. G&W and R.O.B. both being icons of Nintendo Hardware as DHD bundles with the Zapper games into his moveset.

Icies were a choice that Sakurai made of a number of "obscure" NES characters namely because he saw a uniquness in the idea of a moveset for them and Pit was very likely in part of the budding ideas that became Uprising. Hense his rather drastic model change from, say, his Melee trophy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Remember, for those evaluating muhrelevance, Brawl's roster was finalized in mid-2005 and Smash 4's in early 2012.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I believe Brawl's roster was finalized in 2006 IIRC.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Remember, for those evaluating muhrelevance, Brawl's roster was finalized in mid-2005 and Smash 4's in early 2012.
Indeed.
Which would make me wrong - Mother 3 actually came out a year AFTER he was decided on (2006).
And Diddy Kong was starring in games more frequently around that time too.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Indeed.
Which would make me wrong - Mother 3 actually came out a year AFTER he was decided on (2006).
And Diddy Kong was starring in games more frequently around that time too.
Diddy Kong is a Nintendo All Star staple and Smash Bros staple. He is always relevant and appeared in both DKC games after Brawl. He is one of the most iconic video game characters ever. Diddy was getting in Smash Bros. no matter what. If they keep bringing back characters like Sheik, Ike, Jigglypuff, Lucario and Toon Link, then Diddy Kong is untouchable as far as I'm concerned

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Diddy was only in that Mario Baseball game for the Gamecube before that IIRC. That and the other one for the Wii and that horrible DK racing game on the Wii.

2006 was when the roster was decided. I remember reading that in like a Source Gaming article from some time ago. Makes sense given Sakurai only knew about Brawl's existence in mid-2005.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Diddy was only in that Mario Baseball game for the Gamecube before that IIRC. That and the other one for the Wii and that horrible DK racing game on the Wii.

2006 was when the roster was decided. I remember reading that in like a Source Gaming article from some time ago. Makes sense given Sakurai only knew about Brawl's existence in mid-2005.
It was finalized in 2006 only because Sonic was added last-minute.
Everyone else, in 2005.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It was finalized in 2006 only because Sonic was added last-minute.
Everyone else, in 2005.
Guess I heard different then. I was almost certain that the roster was finalized in mid-2006 and that Sonic was added in early 2007 but I guess I was wrong.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who doesn't want to see an indie character as DLC? I think it would be cool to see someone like Shantae make it in, but I also feel like it would be a step backwards. I mean seriously. We get one of the most iconic video game characters of all time (Cloud)... Then we get an indie. :ohwell:

I want another character that breaks the internet. A character like Scorpion, Lara Croft, Azio, etc. All of which are iconic and from juggernaut franchise that we thought had no chance of appearing in smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Am I the only person who doesn't want to see an indie character as DLC? I think it would be cool to see someone like Shantae make it in, but I also feel like it would be a step backwards. I mean seriously. We get one of the most iconic video game characters of all time (Cloud)... Then we get an indie. :ohwell:

I want another character that breaks the internet. A character like Scorpion, Lara Croft, Azio, etc. All of which are iconic and from juggernaut franchise that we thought had no chance of appearing in smash.
My thoughts exactly. No indies for me, just more iconic 3rd party characters like Cloud.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Don't forget these guys :wolf::jigglypuff::toonlink:
Developed =/= decided upon.

From the amount of "am i the only one" posts like this that I see it feels like I'm the only one who DOES want an indie character in Smash :4shovelknight: :/

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Implying indies can't be iconic?

Edit: Also, "Am I the only one" posts are dumb

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Edit: Also, "Am I the only one" posts are dumb
well, they CAN be iconic, doesn't mean they are...especially when speaking about specific characters....like Shantae and Shovel Knight are not (at least right now, we'll see 5 years from now, both are getting a big push from their companies afterall)

D

Deleted member

I can't really think of an indie character that qualifies as iconic aside from Steve from Minecraft.

EDIT: Never mind that last bit. I sometimes forget that Microsoft owns Minecraft now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Am I the only one who can't stand "Am I the only one" posts? Especially when even a little bit of skimming the thread can confirm that, no, you're not the only who doesn't want indie characters in Smash.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who can't stand "Am I the only one" posts? Especially when even a little bit of skimming the thread can confirm that, no, you're not the only who doesn't want indie characters in Smash.
The irony. Then again, maybe that was the point. Anyway...

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I can't really think of an indie character that qualifies as iconic aside from Steve from Minecraft.

EDIT: Never mind that last bit. I sometimes forget that Microsoft owns Minecraft now.
Anything by Valve i.e Team Fortress

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At least for this iteration of Smash, I don't want to say any indies in the game. Especially as DLC where there's absolutely no chance of me buying any indie character.

If Smash 5 comes along and Shovel Knight continues to grow in popularity, then I can see a reason for adding him in to the game.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Can Minecraft even be considered indie anymore? The game sells make those of series such as Metal Gear and Street Fighter look like a joke.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
ThatWasThePoint.jpg

Valve owns basically owns the entire PC market through Steam.
They are not indie by any stretch of the imagination.
Note that indie doesn't mean small, it simply means they publish by themselves. In other words, Valve is indie

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Oh, well, in THAT case.
We already have indie characters in Smash, since every company represented in Smash publishes games themselves. :D
But they don't develop them. Indie means that they're the developers and publishers, which none of the Smash characters are.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Microsoft is the biggest indie company ever. lol

But seriously, i was joking with the Steve post.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I might be wrong on this but...

Hal Laboratories makes all the Kirby games, Monolift Soft makes all of the Xenoblade Chronicles games, and Game Freak makes all of the Pokémon games. So those characters are not indie right?
No...they're not indie...:facepalm:
Wikipedia said:
Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support.
Nintendo owns those companies, and Nintendo is a big publisher.
Valve is also a publisher. Team Fortress is not indie.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No...they're not indie...:facepalm:

Nintendo owns those companies, and Nintendo is a big publisher.
Valve is also a publisher. Team Fortress is not indie.
Oops...Confused by sarcasm.

I wonder what Nintendo has up it's sleeve. I mean, Cloud is awesome and unexpected, but Nintendo would probably save the best for last. I hope the last DLC character isn't King K. Rool. That'd be anti-climactic for me. Kinda like when Robin and Lucina were released. I'd probably be happy with anyone though.

I'm also wondering weather or not Cloud will have an English voice actor. I hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom